Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #22050 - 08/18/22 at 19:09:21

Bob Dylan "Trouble No More" Bootleg Series Vol. 13, disc 5

I like this "Christian" era of Bob's more as time goes by. . . but I'm going to skip "Man Gave Names to all the Animals"--I always do. What a dumb song.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #22051 - 08/18/22 at 21:06:22

Goin' by Feel
Ray Bonneville
Engineer: Harris Shper, Justin Douglas, Mike E. Clark

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22052 - 08/19/22 at 11:48:34

https://youtu.be/-ZnMna-OZyI Lo-Fi 720p
Chants of India is an album by Indian musician Ravi Shankar released in 1997 on Angel Records. Produced by his friend and sometime collaborator George Harrison, the album consists of Vedic and other Hindu sacred prayers set to music, marking a departure from Shankar's more familiar work in the field of Hindustani classical music. The lyrical themes of the recorded chants are peace and harmony among nature and all creatures. . Anoushka Shankar, John Barham, Bikram Ghosh, Tarun Bhatacharaya and Ronu Majumdar are among the many world class musicians who contributed to the recording.

All songs are traditional, adapted by Ravi Shankar, except where noted.

"Vandanaa Trayee" – 4:32
"Omkaaraaya Namaha" – 1:53
"Vedic Chanting One" – 3:12
"Asato Maa" – 7:12
"Sahanaa Vavavtu" – 4:26
"Poornamadah" – 1:28
"Gaayatri" – 3:26
"Mahaa Mrityunjaya" – 4:43
"Veenaa-Murali" – 3:36
"Geetaa" – 2:13
"Mangalam" (Ravi Shankar, Dr Nandakumara) – 4:03
"Hari Om" (Shankar) – 2:57
"Svara Mantra" (Shankar) – 4:34
"Vedic Chanting Two" – 2:13
"Prabhujee" (Shankar) – 8:06
"Sarve Shaam" – 5:09

Ravi Shankar – sitar, direction, arrangements
George Harrison – vocals, acoustic guitar, autoharp, bass, vibraphone, marimba, glockenspiel
Anoushka Shankar – conductor and assistant
Ronu Mazumdar – flute

Madras sessions
Kalyan – violin and assistant
Subramaniam, Devi – veenas
Murali – harmonium
Seenu – mridangam
Balasai, Kamalaskar – flutes
Shekar, Biswas, John – cellos
Mirali, Rex, Balu, Sasi, Girijan – violins
Narayanan, Rebbecca Goodsell, Sririam, Venkataraman, Gowri Shankar – tanpuras
Babu Parameshwaran, Natesan, Ramchandran Suresh, Sashidran, Babu, Mani, Mani Kiran, Shanta Dhananjayan, Suhasini, Latha, Rashmi – vocals ("Indian chorus")
Sarada, Martha, Vimala, Pearl, Adela, Dr Grub, Billy, Tony, Arul, Ranjith – vocals ("Western chorus")

London sessions

Chandrashekhar – violin and assistant
M. Balachandar – mridangam, morsing
Bikram Ghosh – tabla
Tarun Bhatacharaya – santoor
Jane Lister – harp
Antonia Paget – violin
Michael Paget, Stella Page – violas
Isabel Dunn – cello
Terry Emery – tuned percussion
Deepa Singh, Hari Sivanesan, Sivashakti Sivanesan, Gaurav Mazumdar, Shyamali Basu, Chandrashekhar, Sukanya Shankar – vocals

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22053 - 08/19/22 at 12:05:42

That looks like a cool album. I ordered a copy of the cd. I met Shankar when I was in Swaziland--my boarding school roommate was one of his cousins. He came to Swaziland (now Eswatini) to visit family and visited the school (Waterford Kamhlaba School, M'Babane).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22054 - 08/19/22 at 12:31:30

Lon for me it's at the top of my early morning meditation or just serenity albums, surprisingly for something in Hindu/Vedic it has a lot of ear-worms that like Steve said have become part of my brain grey matter muscle memory. This is ancient music.

PS I listened to the organ your GGGGreat Grandfather made yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Could you share more of his story?

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22055 - 08/19/22 at 12:37:22

Cool. Looking forward to it.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22056 - 08/19/22 at 13:04:50

https://youtu.be/5g9Q-sOBCBc HD 1080p
Abdul Wadud, Cellist Who Crossed Musical Boundaries, Dies at 75
He performed with classical ensembles, but he was best known for his work with cutting-edge composers and improvisers like Anthony Davis and Julius Hemphill. “What Pablo Casals did for the Bach suites,” a fellow cellist said, “I feel like Abdul Wadud did for the new generation of cello in jazz.

I myself heard him perform The Secret Life of Plants with Stevie Wonder's Orchestra at the Metropolitan Opera House

ANTHONY DAVIS-JAMES NEWTON-ABDUL WADUD "I've Known Rivers"
Recorded April 1982

Another fine out-of-print gem.

Anthony Davis: Piano  James Newton: Flute  Adbul Wadud: Cello

1) "Juneteenth"(Newton)(0:00)
2) "Still Waters"(Davis)(5:08)
3) "After You Said Yes"(Newton)(23:20)
4)"Tawaafa"(Wadud)(33:06)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22057 - 08/19/22 at 13:14:01

BicycleJoe Lo-Fi wrote on 08/19/22 at 12:31:30:
PS I listened to the organ your GGGGreat Grandfather made yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Could you share more of his story?

Actually it's my GGGGGreat grandfather. Wink Here is probably the most comprehensive lot of information about him outside of my father's biography of him ("Organs for America"--long OOP).

http://davidtannenberg.com/

My mother was a Cassler, and her Cassler ancestor was Tannenberg's wife. My Dad spent a lot of time tracing the complete genealogy and his entire life, which was not that hard as they were German religious separatists, the Moravians, and chronicled everything in detail.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22058 - 08/19/22 at 13:24:43

Started this yesterday and finishing off listening to it this morning--had to shut the system down a bit early as my wife asked for one of her. favorite dinners and I had to run to the store to get some ingredients.

I love this one! "Santana (III)" -- I'm listening to the 2 channel SACD layer of the most recent Japanese SACD that included the Quad mix layer. Superb packaging. I think I may prefer the slightly warmer Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD but it's close. . . both sound fantastic.

I'm going to follow it up with the first disc from this box set that I finally got in the mail from Europe. . . .

Pyramids "AOMAWA: THE 1970s RECORDINGS" 4 cd box set

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5f3b39d78104223137fd52e5/165894146...
4602-ETYIAG31Y1PZS1GI764C/pyramids.jpg

https://idrisackamoor.bandcamp.com/album/aomawa-the-1970s-recordings

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22059 - 08/19/22 at 13:44:20

Fascinating, so glad so much of his work is still extant.

https://youtu.be/ho9rZjlsyYY Lo-Fi 480p

Though the composition is public domain, the performance belongs to the record label that recorded the following performer
Hannes Kästner
Album:
Bach, J.S.: Organ Music - Preludes and Fugues - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - Chorales Preludes.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22060 - 08/19/22 at 14:07:58

https://youtu.be/xXdg37o3ygQ Lo-Fi 480P
Dave Bartholomew, Elvis Costello, and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band perform Bartholomew's classic
"The Monkey Speaks His Mind"
LIVE at New York's Madison Square Garden, September 20, 2005.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22061 - 08/19/22 at 14:30:15

Disc 3 from this set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22062 - 08/19/22 at 15:12:06

Disc 3 from this set:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22063 - 08/19/22 at 18:54:21

Bud Freeman "1946" Chronogical Classics cd

More good Chicago sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22064 - 08/19/22 at 20:11:50

Kirk Lightsey Trio Featuring Freddie Hubbard "Temptation" Timeless/Solid Records Japan (2 cd "Deluxe Editon" 2022, disc 1)

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22065 - 08/20/22 at 11:48:35

https://youtu.be/G4ulY-P29BM Lo-Fi 480p
Pharoah Sanders Quartet Crescent With Love

Crescent with Love is an album by saxophonist Pharoah Sanders. On the album, Sanders is joined by pianist William Henderson, bassist Charles Fambrough, and drummer Sherman Ferguson.

In a review for All About Jazz, Chris May stated: "Without at any time attempting to 'be' Coltrane, retaining his own singular sound and style throughout, Sanders creates a uniquely vibrant evocation of Coltrane's genius at particular time in his development. Interestingly — some may say happily — the particular time Sanders chooses to evoke is not the late period Coltrane with which he'd personally been involved... Crescent with Love is... one of Sanders's finest mature albums. The sound he developed alongside Coltrane, and then burnished and refined on his own late 1960s/early 1970s albums, is here in its full grown-up glory—out there but lyrical, multiphonic but mellifluous... Magnificent music through and through."

Tracks:
"Lonnie's Lament" (John Coltrane) - 7:55
"Misty" (Erroll Garner) - 5:46
"In a Sentimental Mood" (Duke Ellington) - 6:37
"Softly For Shyla" (William Henderson) - 3:45
"Wise One" (John Coltrane) - 13:44
"Too Young To Go Steady" (Jimmy McHugh) - 5:58
"Body and Soul" (Johnny Green) - 9:00
"Naima" (John Coltrane) - 6:44
"Feeling Good" (Anthony Newley) - 7:16
"Light At The Edge Of The World" (Gian Piero Piccioni) - 6:24
"Crescent" (John Coltrane) - 9:50
"After The Rain" (John Coltrane) - 5:39

Credits:
Bass – Charles Fambrough
Drums – Sherman Ferguson
Piano – William Henderson
Tenor Saxophone [Tenor Sax] – Pharoah Sanders

Recorded at Sear Sound Studio in New York on Oct 19 & 20, 1992

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22066 - 08/20/22 at 14:07:00

https://youtu.be/2t88stnbP0g Lo-Fi 480p

Pharoah Sanders - Karma 1969 full album
Featuring The Creator Has A Master Plan

Karma is Sanders' third recording as a leader, and is among a number of spiritually themed albums the Impulse! record label released in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Although it is followed by the brief "Colors", the album's main piece is the 32-minute-long "The Creator Has a Master Plan", co-composed by Sanders with vocalist Leon Thomas.

Some see this piece as a kind of sequel to Sanders' mentor John Coltrane's legendary 1964 recording A Love Supreme (whose opening it echoes in a muscular yet lyrical opening "prelude", with Sanders playing over a suspended, non-rhythmic backdrop, before the entrance of a bass figure which underpins much of the piece). It features Sanders on tenor sax, along with two of his most important collaborators, the aforementioned Leon Thomas and pianist Lonnie Liston Smith, as well as a supporting cast of musicians who were major musicians in their own right: flautist James Spaulding; French-horn player Julius Watkins; bassist Reggie Workman, who had played with Coltrane earlier in the 1960s; second bassist Richard Davis; drummer Billy Hart, and percussionist Nathaniel Bettis.This original recording contains extended free instrumental sections, particularly the third section, where the saxophonist demonstrates some of the techniques which build his distinctive sound, including a split-reed technique, overblowing, and multiphonics, which give a screeching sound.

Side one
No.      Title      Writer(s)      Length
1.      "The Creator Has a Master Plan" (part one) 19:20
Side two
2.      "The Creator Has a Master Plan" (part two) 13:36
3.      "Colors"      5:37

Pharoah Sanders — tenor saxophone
Leon Thomas — vocal, percussion
Julius Watkins — french horn
James Spaulding — flute on "The Creator Has a Master Plan"
Lonnie Liston Smith — piano
Reggie Workman — bass
Richard Davis — bass on "The Creator Has a Master Plan"
Ron Carter — bass on "Colors"
Billy Hart — drums on "The Creator Has a Master Plan"
Freddie Waits — drums on "Colors"
Nathaniel Bettis — percussion on "The Creator Has a Master Pla

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #22067 - 08/20/22 at 14:18:12

I picked up this CD the other day for a buck. At fist it seem a bit boring but picked up on the last two tracks. Very interesting throat sounds and crystal clear instrument attacks.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22068 - 08/20/22 at 15:00:49

Miles Davis "In A Silent Way" Mobile Fidelity SACD

This is one of the albums that first really turned me on to music itself, and that I have been listening to for about 50 years. I use it when I want to hear how my system is doing as I know its nuances so well. I did some speaker re-positioning to good effect yesterday.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22069 - 08/20/22 at 15:00:59

https://youtu.be/MyppLW1jpsE Lo-Fi 720p

The Doctor Is In... and Out
is an album by multi-instrumentalist Yusef Lateef recorded in 1976 and released on the Atlantic label.

Track Listing

Side One:
The Improvisers;
Hellbound; Mystique.
Side Two:
Mississippi Mud;
Mushmouth; T
echnological Homosapien;
Street Musicians.
In A Little Spanish Town (T’was On A Night Like This).

Personnel

Yusef Lateef: alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, flute, oboe, bamboo flute; Kenneth Baron: keyboards; Jimmy Buffington: French horn;
Joseph Wilder: trumpet; Leonard Goines: trumpet;
Jack Jeffers: trombone;
Jonathan Dorn: tuba;
Billy Butler: guitar;
Dana McCurdy: ARP 2500 synthesizer;
David Nadien: violin;
Anthony Jackson: bass;
Robert Cunningham: bass;
Ron Carter: bass;
Al Foster: drums;
Dom Um Romao: percussion;
Cissy Houston: background vocals;
Judy Clay: background vocals.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22070 - 08/20/22 at 15:14:01

Lon Lol looks like we posted seconds apart.

You wrote Quote:
This is one of the albums that first really turned me on to music itself

When I first started getting into Jazz it took me a while to get around to Miles. Not until I saw him at the Fillmore East when he was getting into his rock jazz did I check him out and I didn't go back to his cool jazz until much much later. I came in to Jazz by going to live shows at the Village Gate or Village Vanguard and other nightclubs. When I was working in a record store I was befriended by a lieutenant in the black panthers and he took me under his wing and started taking me to shows all over the place.
Big Al took me up to the Lenox Lounge where all the greats sat in after hours and jammed that is when I first started getting my taste for jazz.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22071 - 08/20/22 at 15:14:17

I'm a big fan of Lateef. I have some LPs but I've collected all his work that I can on cd and believe I have most of it. I admit I prefer his Savoy and Impulse work to the Atlantic, but there's some great Atlantic as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22072 - 08/20/22 at 15:39:17

Lars Fernebring "Odets Nyckfullhet-Bob Dylan Pa Svenska"

Dylan sung in Swedish. .. nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22073 - 08/20/22 at 15:46:51

Certainly wonderful experiences. NYC is a unique place. I lived in NYC but it was from the age of one month to two years and a month or two while my Dad was at Union Seminary near Harlem. When I was of similar age to your explorations I was living in rural NE Ohio, in a small town that was trying to pretend it was still in the 'fifties (still does) and I was the oldest son of the minister of the church on the town square. Sigh. To their credit my parents were not like the town, they were modern and open and up to date with rights and freedoms. Why the church kept them there trying to change the congregation for 27 years is sometimes a mystery to me.

I got into jazz from records. First my parents', then three given to me by a Peace Corps volunteer in Swaziland from a gift box each volunteer got from Atlantic Records, then from Miles albums in the town library that led me to seek out LPs on my own.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22074 - 08/20/22 at 16:33:16

https://youtu.be/-w1ObaJc0SY Disc 1 Lo-Fi 720p
https://youtu.be/5sr85Wiekxc  Disc 2          480p

Miles Davis–The Complete On The Corner Session 1972 disc's 1 &2

On the Corner is a studio album by American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer Miles Davis. It was recorded in June and July 1972 and released on October 11 of the same year by Columbia Records. The album continued Davis's exploration of jazz fusion, and explicitly drew on the influence of funk musicians Sly Stone and James Brown, the experimental music of Karlheinz Stockhausen, ideas by composer Paul Buckmaster, and the free jazz of Ornette Coleman.

Recording sessions for the album featured a changing lineup of musicians including bassist Michael Henderson, guitarist John McLaughlin, and keyboardist Herbie Hancock, with Davis playing the electric organ more prominently than his trumpet. Various takes from the sessions were then spliced together using the tape editing techniques of producer Teo Macero. The album's packaging did not credit any musicians, an attempt to make the instruments less discernible to critics. Its artwork features Corky McCoy's cartoon designs of urban African-American characters.

Collective personnel
Miles Davis - electric trumpet with wah wah, organ, electric piano
Badal Roy - tabla
Bennie Maupin - bass clarinet
Carlos Garnett - alto and tenor saxophone
Don Alias - percussion
Chick Corea - synthesiser, electric piano
Collin Walcott - sitar
Dave Liebman - soprano saxophone, Flute
David Creamer - electric guitar
Harold I. Williams - electric piano, synthesiser
Herbie Hancock - organ, electric piano, synthesiser
Jabali Billy Hart - drums, bongos
Jack DeJohnette - drums
James Mtume Foreman - percussion
John McLaughlin - electric guitar
Lonnie Liston Smith - organ
Michael Henderson - electric bass with wah wah
Paul Buckmaster - cello
Cedric Lawson - electric piano
Reggie Lucas - electric guitar
Khalil Balakrishna - electric sitar
Al Foster - drums
Pete Cosey - electric guitar
Dominique Gaumont - electric guitar
Sonny Fortune - flute

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22075 - 08/20/22 at 16:34:27

Disc 2

"Garcia Plays Dylan"

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #22076 - 08/20/22 at 22:59:02

Grateful Dead Lyceum Theatre London England 5/26/72 disc 3

Smiley

20220820_175412.jpg

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #22077 - 08/21/22 at 00:04:28

Had to pay 2 bucks for this one. Decent live recording of Neil Young performing at Massey Hall Toronto Ontario Canada 1971.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22078 - 08/21/22 at 01:38:06

https://youtu.be/P6DpLpFc2ZY Lo-Fi 480p

𝐋𝐞𝐝 𝐙𝐞𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧 - 𝐇𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐲

Houses of the Holy is the fifth studio album by the English rock band Led Zeppelin. It was released on 28 March 1973.

The album benefited from two band members installing studios at home, which allowed them to develop more sophisticated songs and arrangements and expand their musical style. Several songs subsequently became fixtures in the group's live set, including "The Song Remains the Same", "The Rain Song" and "No Quarter". Other material recorded at the sessions, including the title track, was shelved and released on the later albums Physical Graffiti and Coda. All instruments and vocals were provided by the band members Robert Plant (vocals), Jimmy Page (guitar), John Paul Jones (bass, keyboards), and John Bonham (drums). The album was produced by Page and mixed by Eddie Kramer.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22079 - 08/21/22 at 02:53:42

https://youtu.be/n1morfdLlLQ?t=38 HD 1080p

One Note Samba - Live at the Lennox Lounge - Terry Loftis
The Zebra Room in the back room at the Lenox Lounge was my Living Room for almost a decade.

Circa 1956: Sarah Vaughan And Friends At The Piano In The Lenox Lounge Zebra Room

Billie Holiday sat in this corner booth waiting for her Solo with Lester Young, The Prez.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22080 - 08/21/22 at 07:04:00

I couldn't sleep at 2 am this always helps me fall back asleep peacefully

https://youtu.be/9ODkIhKL2fY Lo-Fi 480p

Philip Glass + Ravi Shankar - Passages

Passages is a collaborative chamber music studio album co-composed by Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass, released in 1990. Consisting of arrangements by each of the composers around themes written by the other, the album's content is a hybrid of Hindustani classical music and Glass' distinct American minimal contemporary classical style.

"Offering" (Ravi Shankar)– 9:47
"Sadhanipa" (Philip Glass) – 8:37
"Channels and Winds" (Glass) – 8:00
"Ragas in Minor Scale" (Glass) – 7:37
"Meetings Along the Edge" (Shankar) – 8:11
"Prashanti" (Shankar) – 13:40

Personnel
Tim Baker – violin
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam – vocals
Seymour Barab – cello
Al Brown – viola
Ashit Desai – conductor
Blaise Dupuy – engineer
Barry Finclair – viola, violin
Mayuki Fukuhara – violin
Jeannie Gagné – voices
Jon Gibson – soprano saxophone
Philip Glass – performer, composer producer
Peter Gordon – French horn
Regis Iandiorio – violin
Karen Karlsrud – violin
Abhiman Kaushal – tabla
Jack Kripl – alto saxophone, flute
Regis Landiorio – violin
Beverly Lauridsen – cello
Batia Lieberman – cello
Ronu Mazumdar – flute
Keith O'Quinn – trombone
Richard Peck – alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
Lenny Pickett – alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
Alan Raph – trombone
Michael Riesman – conductor, piano
Partha Sarathy – sarod, veena
Sergiu Schwartz – violin
Ron Sell – French horn
Ravi Shankar – arranger, orchestration, composer, performer, producer, vocals
Shubho Shankar – sitar
Richard Sortomme – viola
T. Srinivasan – drum sounds, mridangam
Masako Yanagita – viola, violin
Frederick Zlotkin – cello

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #22081 - 08/21/22 at 11:28:20

Had to get this one after Steve's experience with it. Not the 20bit or HQ edition. Not sure if I will seek those but if one comes across in a bin Cheesy

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22082 - 08/21/22 at 11:33:22

Good Morning Good Morning Good Morning Yeah
https://youtu.be/N7seITWdsX8 Lo-Fi 360p
George Martin's Often Overlooked Masterpiece
Yellow Submarine Side Two

Side two consists of recordings of the symphonic film score composed by the Beatles' producer, George Martin, specifically for the album. The recording took place with a 41-piece orchestra over two three-hour sessions on 22 and 23 October 1968 in Abbey Road, and was edited down to the length on the LP on 22 November 1968

In some of his arrangements, Martin referenced his past work with the Beatles; for example, "Sea of Time" includes what MacDonald terms "an affectionate quotation" from the Indian-styled "Within You Without You", from Sgt. Pepper, and "Yellow Submarine in Pepperland" reprises the film's title track. In "Sea of Monsters", Martin included the beginning of Bach's Air on the G String, while in other selections he parodies works by Stravinsky. MacDonald also detects the influence of Mozart and Webern among the "classical allusions" in Martin's score.

1.      "Pepperland"      2:18
2.      "Sea of Time"      3:00
3.      "Sea of Holes"      2:16
4.      "Sea of Monsters"      3:35
5.      "March of the Meanies"      2:16
6.      "Pepperland Laid Waste"      2:09
7.      "Yellow Submarine in Pepperland"      2:10
                                     Total length:      17:44

also for your entertainment and edification
https://youtu.be/pbSDcan7WWE Lo-Fi
George Martin - In My Life Narrated Video

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22083 - 08/21/22 at 16:17:45

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22084 - 08/21/22 at 18:17:27

https://youtu.be/4JhKYwHyoYU  So Lo-Fi So What.This is gold.

The Beatles - Live! at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany; 1962

Raw Beatles Mach Show  12 hour sets all day every day
This set is over an hour.
Great Slide Show

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #22085 - 08/21/22 at 19:23:36

Quote:
When I was working in a record store I was befriended by a lieutenant in the black panthers

WTF

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22086 - 08/21/22 at 19:25:48

Outstanding album.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22087 - 08/21/22 at 20:16:26

https://youtu.be/6SE_pO8jGag Lo-Fi 480p
FRANK ZAPPA - WAKA JAWAKA 1972 COMPLETO/FULL

Waka/Jawaka — Hot Rats) is the fourth solo album by Frank Zappa, released in July 1972. The album is the jazz-influenced precursor to The Grand Wazoo (November 1972), and as the front cover indicates, a sequel of sorts to 1969's Hot Rats. According to Zappa, the title "is something that showed up on a ouija board at one time

01. BIG SWIFTY
02. IN YOUR MOUTH
03. IT JUST MIGHT BE A ONE-SHOT DEAL
04. WAKA/JAWAKA

Waka/Jawaka — Hot Rats) is the fourth solo album by Frank Zappa, released in July 1972. The album is the jazz-influenced precursor to The Grand Wazoo (November 1972), and as the front cover indicates, a sequel of sorts to 1969's Hot Rats. According to Zappa, the title "is something that showed up on a ouija board at one time

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22088 - 08/21/22 at 20:45:50

And now on to this - featuring a very brief intro by Ronnie himself.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22089 - 08/21/22 at 22:08:52

https://youtu.be/R3kvjgxRVJk Lo-Fi 480p

Grin Nils Lofgrin
Moon Tears

Here I come again on a Saturday night
After the first love that ever felt right

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22090 - 08/22/22 at 08:00:01

https://youtu.be/h6pvya_DPMw HD 1080p

The 101ers

X Certs From The Elgin Avenue Breakdown LP.
The 101ers were a pub rock band from the 1970s playing mostly in a rockabilly style, notable as being the band that Joe Strummer left to join The Clash. Formed in London in May 1974, the 101ers made their performing debut on 7 September at the Telegraph pub in Brixton, under the name 'El Huaso and the 101 All Stars

Letsagetabitarockin
Silent Telephone
Motor Boys Motor
Keys To Your Heart
Monkey Business
Shake Your Hips
Sweetie Of The St Moritz
Surf City
Sweet Revenge
Junco Partner
Gloria

To Make Ends Meet Joe Was A Grave Digger Between Gigs

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22091 - 08/22/22 at 08:43:51

https://youtu.be/30Ohr-ymAXk  Lo-Fi 480p

Hard Again

Hard Again was Waters's first album with Johnny Winter on Blue Sky Records after leaving Chess Records.

1.      "Mannish Boy"      Morganfield, Ellas McDaniel, Mel London      5:23
2.      "Bus Driver"      Morganfield, Terry Abrahamson      7:44
3.      "I Want to Be Loved"      Willie Dixon      2:20
4.      "Jealous Hearted Man"            4:23
5.      "I Can't Be Satisfied"            3:28

Side two
1.      "The Blues Had a Baby and They Named It Rock and Roll, Pt. 2"      Morganfield, Brownie McGhee      3:35
2.      "Deep Down in Florida"            5:25
3.      "Crosseyed Cat"            5:59
4.      "Little Girl"            7:06

Waters used his touring band of the time, consisting of guitarist Bob Margolin, pianist Pinetop Perkins, and drummer Willie "Big Eyes" Smith. Other backing members during the sessions were harmonicist James Cotton and bassist Charles Calmese, who performed with both Johnny Winter and James Cotton in the past.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22092 - 08/22/22 at 10:08:25

https://youtu.be/yCkuavih1BM so Lo-Fi 360p
Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley The Super Super Blues Band
Howlin' Wolf – vocals, guitar, harmonica ; Muddy Waters – vocals, guitar ;  Bo Diddley – vocals, guitar ; Otis Spann – piano ; Hubert Sumlin – guitar ; Buddy Guy – bass ; Frank Kirkland – drums ; Cookie Vee – vocals

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22093 - 08/22/22 at 12:37:22

https://youtu.be/lZqZXSGQasE HD 1080p

Folk Singer is the fourth studio album by Muddy Waters, released in January 1964 by Chess Records. The album features Waters on acoustic guitar, backed by Willie Dixon on string bass, Clifton James on drums, and Buddy Guy on acoustic guitar. It is Waters's only all-acoustic album.

Folk Singer received critical acclaim; most reviewers praised its high-quality sound, especially on remastered versions, as well as the instrumentation. It has been called one of the greatest rock 'n' roll records of all time.

This album is pure Blues straight from the bottle.

Pretty solid backing band:

Muddy Waters – guitar, vocals.
   Buddy Guy – guitar.
   Sammy Lawhorn – guitar.
   James Madison – guitar.
   Otis Spann – harmonica, piano.
   Francis Clay – drums.
   Clifton James – drums.
   S.P. Leary – drums.
   Willie Dixon – bass
   Milton Rector – bass
   J.T. Brown – clarinet, tenor saxophone

1.      "My Home Is in the Delta"      Waters      3:58
2.      "Long Distance"      Waters      3:30
3.      "My Captain"      Willie Dixon      5:10
4.      "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl"      Sonny Boy Williamson      3:12
5.      "You Gonna Need My Help"      Waters      3:09
Total length:      18:59

Side two
No.      Title      Writer(s)      Length
1.      "Cold Weather Blues"      Waters      4:40
2.      "Big Leg Woman"      John Temple      3:25
3.      "Country Boy"      Waters      3:26
4.      "Feel Like Going Home"      Waters      3:52
Total length:      15:23

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22094 - 08/22/22 at 13:59:56

tempest62

Quote:
Reply #22085 - Yesterday at 14:23:36   Quote:
When I was working in a record store I was befriended by a lieutenant in the black panthers

WTF

https://youtu.be/E-TZtrJjW54 Lo-Fi 360p
Nile Rodgers was born in the Lower East Side, New York City to Beverly Goodman. She gave birth to Rodgers when she was 14. His biological father, Nile Rodgers Sr. – a traveling percussionist who specialized in Afro-Cuban beats – was rarely present as Rodgers grew up; although influential in his life, Rodgers saw his father only a "handful" of times prior to his death in 1970. In 1959, Goodman married Bobby Glanzrock, whom Rodgers described in his 2011 autobiography as a "beatnik PhD, whose observations had angles that would make Miles Davis contemplate his cool." Richard Pryor, Thelonious Monk, and Lenny Bruce often visited their home in Greenwich Village. Glanzrock and Goodman were addicted to heroin, and Rodgers began using drugs at 13.

Before learning to play the guitar at 16, Rodgers played the flute and the clarinet. As a teenager, he played guitar with African, Persian, Latin, jazz and Boogaloo bands.] He became a subsection leader of the Lower Manhattan branch of the New York Black Panther Party as a teenager. His cousin, trumpeter Robert "Spike" Mickens was a member of hitmakers Kool and the Gang from 1964 to 1986.

Nile was involved with the youth breakfast program where they had meals for kids the Panthers promoted  community outreach like day care and early education in the 60s.We was all about music. He got me into places I couldn't go cause I was just a kid and I'm a little pale. This was way before Chic Le Freak.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22095 - 08/22/22 at 14:17:36

Fascinating musician Joe, and an interesting history. Glad you got to know him.

Right now
SFJazz Collective "Original Compositions & Works by Herbie Hancock" disc 2

Quite a band!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22096 - 08/22/22 at 15:28:14

Bill Evans "Montreux Concert II" CTI RVG UHQCD King Records Japan

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22097 - 08/22/22 at 15:56:45

https://youtu.be/t_7CFLEVfcs HD 1080p
JOE STRUMMER & THE MESCALEROS - STREETCORE

The Mescaleros were the British backing band for Joe Strummer, formed in 1999, which went on to make three albums prior to Strummer's death in 2002.

Many of the band members were multi-instrumentalists. The original line up consisted of Strummer on vocals and guitar, Antony Genn on guitar, Scott Shields on bass, guitar and drums, Martin Slattery on keyboards and guitar, as well as flute and saxophone on select songs, Pablo Cook on various percussion instruments and Steve Barnard on drums, using his stage moniker "Smiley". Richard Flack was also employed to use effects and instruments.

The name "The Mescaleros" for my new group is something I just stole from a cowboy film I was watching one night. So, um, really, doesn't have any meaning to the direction. But we're moving in a kind of roots reggae, rock thing. I mean, more or less, as if time hadn't passed. But, we're trying to move it into the future as well. Definitely don't wanna stay in the past. Gotta get out of the past! It's a quagmire of treacle.
Joe Strummer, 1999, Hultsfred Festival, Sweden

The Mescaleros rose out of Strummer's work with Pablo Cook and Richard Norris. The three of them originally came together to write the soundtracks for two short films, Tunnel of Love, and Question of Honour. The song "Yalla Yalla" was originally written by this trio, and mixed by Antony Genn. Once Genn was brought on board, a new song "Techno D-Day" was recorded, at which point Strummer, at the behest of Genn, began recording a new record.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22098 - 08/22/22 at 16:17:38

The Pyramids "AOMAWA: THE 1970s RECORDINGS" disc 2

A brand new 4LP/4 cd box set bringing together the incredible 1970s recordings of Afrofuturism pioneers The Pyramids, led by saxophonist Idris Ackamoor. The set features the remastered LPs Lalibela, King Of Kings and Birth / Speed / Merging alongside the first ever vinyl issue of their live session for KQED TV in 1975. The accompanying 12-page 12”-sized booklet features extended interviews with The Pyramids by Francis Gooding and a host of unseen photos.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22099 - 08/22/22 at 17:05:03

Barney Wilen with the Mal Waldron Trio "Movie Themes from France" 2022 Japanese cd reissue.

This is a great album I've enjoyed for years. Barney Wilen and Mal Waldron make a great pairing, each melodic improvisors who understand song structure so well and how to build and release tension and emotion in musical form.

Nice clear recording too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 442 443 444 ... 504
Send Topic Print