Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #22200 - 09/04/22 at 18:58:27

Ella Fitzgerald and the Duke Ellington Orchestra "Ella at Duke's Place" Verve cd

Seems to me Strayhorn is all over this though he is seldom mentioned or credited on releases. Flipping soothing stuff that draws you in. Then swings you out.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22201 - 09/04/22 at 20:37:31

https://youtu.be/--p5XWU9HdA Lo-Fi 480p
Richard Lloyd: Alchemy

Richard Lloyd was a founding Member of Television

10 years ago on YT.
Hi and Hey and Thanks for the support. I can hear the old scratches and pop of the ancient vinyl... haven't actually heard this album in a couple of years. GOD, is Fred Smith great or what on Bass, and the power group vocals. WOW, I had forgotten how wonderful this record is. ---- Richard Lloyd

"Misty Eyes" – 3:51
"In the Night" – 3:43
"Alchemy" – 3:50
"Woman's Ways" – 3:14
"Number Nine" – 2:51
Side two
"Should Have Known Better" (Vinny DeNunzio, Lloyd) – 2:52
"Blue and Grey" – 3:35
"Summer Rain" – 3:17
"Pretend" (DeNunzio, Lloyd, James Mastro, Fred Smith) – 4:11
"Dying Words" – 4:20

Vinny DeNunzio was the Feelies' original drummer, though he's not on their 1980 debut album Crazy Rhythms.
James Mastro joined the Bongos in 1985 or later.
Matthew Mackenzie was guitarist in Boston band Reddy Teddy.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22202 - 09/04/22 at 23:11:47

"Dylan & the Dead" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22203 - 09/05/22 at 00:33:28

Barney Wilen with the Mal Waldron Trio "Movie Themes from France"

A powerful cd newly remastered and released in Japan.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #22204 - 09/05/22 at 04:59:53

Wes Montgomery “ A day in the life”. An album of covers, pretty darn enjoyable.

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22205 - 09/05/22 at 11:05:24

https://youtu.be/pq9k0YmdvkA  HD 1080p

I'm Still Here · The Cynz-Karmic Destiny
℗ 2021 Henry Seiz

Cyndi Dawson Singer/Composer
Henry Seiz Guitars/Vocals/Composer
Michael Giblin Bass Backing Vocals
Bob Stockl Drums
Special Guests
Mark Bosch Guitar
Arno Hecht Saxophone

YOU cannot define The Cynz. Their tracks are the alchemy of punk, rock, poetry, song.  Cyndi's style is her own. Henry Seiz brings years of old school, jazz, pop rock, swing and punk to the table. The combination of all these influences are The Cynz. They simply KICK ASS.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22206 - 09/05/22 at 12:24:28

The Woody Shaw Concert Ensemble at the Jazz Berliner Stage, Muse Records. I'm listening to this on the appropriate cd from the Mosaic Shaw Muse box set.

Excellent performances and sound.

The system is sounding so good this week. I've got rectifiers and VR tubes and input tubes matching and bettering each other in a way that they haven't in a long time. Audio bliss!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22207 - 09/05/22 at 13:17:26

Excelsior! Lon, nothing better than new old glowing glass. So my kit it's all been restored and reassembled. I picked up my refurbished JBL speakers yesterday I plugged in the Rega I/O combo phono preamp and amplifier to my JVC QLY-66F DD TT and dusted off a box of mint Vintage Vinyl. Been going at it ever since. https://youtu.be/E4c275_GM3U Lo-Fi 720p
Otis Redding - Otis Blue Sings Soul 1965

A1  Ole Man Trouble
A2  Respect-------------------2:35
A3  Change Gonna Come-4:40
A4  Down In The Valley-----8:55
A5  I've Been Loving You Too Long-11:53
B1  Shake---------------------15:08
B2  My Girl---------------------17:45
B3  Wonderful World------20:38
B4  Rock Me Baby--------23:46
B5  Satisfaction--------------27:14
B6  You Don't Miss Your Water--30:01

While I was on my rounds Saturday I walked into 30th Street Guitars and walked out with this Harmony Stratatone from 1963, it was my first electric guitar. Found it hanging there waiting for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22208 - 09/05/22 at 14:16:22

Cool Otis record, and very cool guitar!

I listened to one of my favorite ever cds, "Morning in Paris," Duke Ellington and Sathima Bea Benjamin--plus Billy Strayhorn, and amazing pizzicato violin by Ray Nance. An intimate, very low key, chamber jazz recording. Benjamin was then Dollar Brand's wife, and Duke was in Paris with a go ahead from Reprise Records to produce records and he recorded one with Dollar Brand and one with Bud Powell and Aiice Babs. I love them all.

Benjamin has a unique phrasing and an amazing control of her voice on super slow tempos. A beautiful album.

Then on to
Chick Corea and Origin "A Week at the Blue Note," disc 2.

This is one of my very favorite collections of recordings by Corea and this great ensemble he had together for a spell.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22209 - 09/05/22 at 15:26:31

Johnny Griffin "Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz" Rearward cd

A great small group recording drawn from the personnel of the Clarke Boland Big Band. This sure does have a heavy bottom with both of the maestro drummers and the big rich sound of Jimmy Woode. And Johnny Griffin. . .I think he got lucky and didn't get a speeding ticket on this one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22210 - 09/05/22 at 16:03:11

Bob Dylan "Time Out of Mind" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

The Blu-Spec CD2 series of lp facsimile cds of the Dylan catalog sound fantastic.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22211 - 09/05/22 at 18:20:03

https://youtu.be/XV9a3tUPqTo HD 1080p
James Brown - Super Bad (Parts 1 & 2) ft. The Original J.B.s

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22212 - 09/05/22 at 19:30:09

https://youtu.be/uoLO0aJ93rE part 1
https://youtu.be/yOc391ja2BA part 2
https://youtu.be/YF8Ii6uLgPk   part 3
HD 1080p
Roger Daltrey- Ride a Rock Horse

1.  Get Your Love (0:00)
2.  Hearts Right (3:46)
3.  Oceans Away (6:49)
4.  Proud (10:06)
5.  World Over (0:00)
6.  Near To Surrender (3:11)
7.  Feeling (5:47)
8.  Walking The Dog (0:00)
9.  Milk Train (4:37)
10. Born To Sing Your Song (7:59)

Roger Daltrey - vocals
Russ Ballard - guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
Clem Clempson - guitar solo on "Feeling"
Dave Wintour - bass guitar
Stuart Francis - drums
John Barham - string and brass arrangements
Paul Korda - piano, backing vocals
Henry Spinetti - drums[3]
Tony Meehan - congas, strings, horns, reeds
Alan Wicket - shakers on "Walking the Dog"
Phil Kenzie - saxophone
Nick Newall - alto saxophone
Alan Brown - trumpet
Kokomo, Paul Gorda, Sweedies - backing vocals
Technical:
John Jansen, Will Reid-Dick - engineer
Graham Hughes - photography, art direction

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #22213 - 09/05/22 at 22:24:41

miles: the complete bitches brew sessions disc 2

the coolest man on the planet

mdcbbs.jpg

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22214 - 09/06/22 at 01:36:52

Some great music on that set I've been enjoying for fifty years or so!

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22215 - 09/06/22 at 14:35:06

I enjoy Phil Woods, and Herbie Mann never really got the mainstream recognition he deserved... not the greatest album but very listenable.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22216 - 09/06/22 at 14:54:39

https://youtu.be/y9EMVd1773A Lo-Fi 720p

HERBIE MANN * Push Push (feat. Duane Allman)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22217 - 09/06/22 at 15:36:34

That's a nice session that Woods and Mann. I heard a track from it on the Spectrum jazz channel and bought the cd. Well recorded, nice late career work from them both.

I really like the 'fifties work by Mann for Bethlehem and Riverside et al. He is known as a flautist, but was very good on the tenor sax and the bass clarinet as well. A good bandleader, discoverer of talent, and composer and arranger.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22218 - 09/06/22 at 17:13:30

https://youtu.be/ag0uv4Q7D7A HD 1080p

Herbie Mann * Memphis Underground
This little combo, these are some Real players.
Organ: Bobby Emmons
Piano: Bobby Wood
Drums: Gene Christman
Flute: Herbie Mann
Guitar: Larry Coryell
Guitar: Reggie Young
Vibraphone: Roy Ayers
Guitar: Sonny Sharrock
Engineer, Producer: Tom Dowd
Composer: Herbie Mann

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22219 - 09/06/22 at 19:49:42

Franco Cerri "International Jazz Meeting" Japan cd 2022

Alto Saxophone – Flavio Ambrosetti
Bass – Franco Cerri (2 tracks), George Joiner or K.T. Geier
Drums – Buster Smith or Eberard Stengel
Guitar – Franco Cerri
Piano – George Gruntz
Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Barney Wilen

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22220 - 09/07/22 at 01:26:52

https://youtu.be/TxBuWpLtBtA HD 1080 MONO
Listening to the Rolling Stones Story Decca German  Frrr recording box set
Did you hear about the midnight rambler?
He'll leave his footprints up and down your hall
And did you hear about the midnight gambler?
And did you see me make my midnight call?
And if you ever catch the midnight rambler
I'll steal your mistress from under your nose
I'll go easy with your cold fanged anger
I'll stick my knife right down your throat, baby
And it hurts!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22221 - 09/07/22 at 02:25:50

https://youtu.be/IRVAylsYMf4 HD 1080p
Can I get a Witness?

The Rolling Stones is the debut studio album by the English rock band the Rolling Stones, released by Decca Records in the UK on 16 April 1964. The American edition of the LP, with a slightly different track list, came out on London Records on 30 May 1964, subtitled England's Newest Hit Makers, which later became its official title

"Can I Get a Witness" was notably covered by the Rolling Stones on their first album, The Rolling Stones in 1964. The Stones also recorded a self-composed instrumental sequel called "Now, I've Got a Witness" on that same album. The majority of the tracks reflect the band's love for R&B. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (whose professional name until 1978 omitted the "s" in his surname) were fledgling songwriters during early 1964, contributing only one original composition to the album: "Tell Me (You're Coming Back)". Two songs are credited to "Nanker Phelge" – a pseudonym the band used for group compositions from 1963 to 1965. Phil Spector and Gene Pitney both contributed to the recording sessions, and are referred to as "Uncle Phil and Uncle Gene" in the subtitle of the Phelge instrumental "Now I've Got a Witness".

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22222 - 09/07/22 at 12:22:44

https://youtu.be/lkby-MmK-4Y LO-Fi 720p

Johnny Winter - Second Winter (1969)

Second Winter is the third studio album by Texas blues guitarist Johnny Winter, released in 1969. The original plan was to edit the songs from the recording session into one album but it was later thought that all the recordings were more than good enough to be released. The album was released as a "three-sided" LP, with a blank fourth side on the original vinyl.

side one:
1. Memory Pain 0:00
2. I'm Not Sure 5:36
3. The Good Love 11:02

side two:
1. Slippin' and Slidin' 15:48
2. Miss Ann 18:37
3. Johnny B. Goode 22:21
4. Highway 61 Revisited 25:10

side three:
1. I Love Everybody 30:22
2. Hustled Down in Texas 34:14
3. I Hate Everybody 37:50
4. Fast Life Rider 40:25

cover photo Richard Avedon

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22223 - 09/07/22 at 14:02:15

Joe, that Rolling Stones album is one of my all time favorites. I bought it first as a kid who had to save his money made weeding a farm field to buy his next album.
I have ten or so LPs, even my first, and a modern CD.

I still love it.
Streaming it through my garage mono system with my kludge computer, via MAudio outs while I finish refilling all my neglected (for over a week) bird feeders.
My favorite was "Suzie Q" back in those days. I had heard it several ways, but this was my favorite version. It was more detailed and orchestrated than most versions. TOO DAMN SHORT, though.
I wanted an hour of it!
Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22224 - 09/07/22 at 14:54:23

Oh, and I have all the Johnny Winter I can find.
Even a few live reel to reel tapes I recorded myself of shows we shared, never ever heard by another, except for the two or so thousand who were there those nights.
Nice venues, mostly empty. It hurt to be a part of such a falling.

Sad to see such an artist go down so fast that a nobody gets his sound jobs.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22225 - 09/07/22 at 15:01:46

Very cool morning and I'm enjoying my mono rig while still moving forward with my dodgy F15 baffle mockups.

I agree with JBzen, from another thread, about the manmade products not being to par, but I started out making these, just so anxious to hear the Lii drivers. Then a dash of real life to slow me up.

I am muscling through this make up, mock up and I WILL hear those F15s soon in my own room.
Done with the router work and just need a base to get them standing.

I'm spinning various classical CDs, now.

Strauss, at the moment.  Don Juan, Op 20, via a Deutsche Grammophon collection rip I did ages ago.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22226 - 09/08/22 at 01:58:06

Glad your returning to form Same Old DD, hope all is well with the Mrs's.

https://youtu.be/JvCQ6ntgteQ HD 1080p  The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin

https://youtu.be/3C4PsXoFslM Lo-Fi 720 p   Killing Floor - Howlin Wolf 1964 single

https://youtu.be/Oq83yq2u3_E HD 1080p Traveling Riverside Blues - Robert Johnson

https://youtu.be/frPlfQVaZ7U Lo-Fi 380p She Squeezed My Lemons - Art McKay

LED ZEPPELIN - I Should of Quit You (The Lemon Song (Down on this Killing Floor) - Howling Wolf

"Killing Floor" is a 1964 song by American blues singer-songwriter and guitarist Howlin' Wolf. Called "one of the defining classics of Chicago electric blues", "Killing Floor" became a blues standard with recordings by various artists. It has been acknowledged by the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame, which noted its popularity among rock as well as blues musicians. English rock group Led Zeppelin adapted the song for their "The Lemon Song", for which Howlin' Wolf is named as a co-author.

Led Zeppelin performed "Killing Floor" live in 1968 and 1969, and it became the basis for "The Lemon Song", which they recorded on their 1969 album Led Zeppelin II. In some early performances Robert Plant introduced the song as "Killing Floor"; an early UK pressing of Led Zeppelin II showed the title as "Killing Floor" and was credited to Chester Burnett (Howlin' Wolf's real name). For the second and third North American tours the song evolved into "The Lemon Song", with Plant often improvising lyrics onstage (the opening lyrics to both songs are identical).

Other lyrics, notably "squeeze (my lemon) till the juice runs down my leg," can be traced to Robert Johnson's "Travelling Riverside Blues". It is likely that Johnson borrowed this himself, from a song recorded earlier in the same year (1937) called "She Squeezed My Lemon" (by Arthur McKay). The song also references Albert King's "Cross-Cut Saw" In December 1972, Arc Music, owner of the publishing rights to Howlin' Wolf's songs, sued Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement on "The Lemon Song". The parties settled out of court. Though the amount was not disclosed, Howlin' Wolf received a check for US$45,123 from Arc Music immediately following the suit, and subsequent releases included a co-songwriter credit for him

LYRICS
I should've quit you
A long time ago
I should've quit you, babe
A long time ago
I should've quit you
And went on to Mexico

If I had've followed
My first mind
If I had've followed
My first mind
I'd been gone
Since my second time

I should've went on
When my friend come from Mexico at me
I should've went on
When my friend come from Mexico at me
But no, I'm fooling with you, baby
I let you put me on the killing floor

Lord knows
I should've been gone
Lord knows
I should've been gone
And I wouldn't've been here
Down on the killing floor

written by Chester Burnett, aka Howlin' Wolf

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22227 - 09/08/22 at 14:06:32

Even though Paquito is getting along in age, his sound is still unmistakable.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22228 - 09/10/22 at 16:46:50

My wife was off this week so I haven't had a lot of time to listen, but when I have I've been rolling rectifiers. Found I have a pair of brown base RCA 5Y3WGTB that have a top D-Getter that are sounding very nice.

It never ends. . .swap a tube and you have a whole new amplifier!

Right now
I kept upgrading digital versions of this title until I found JVC XRCD LP facsimile versions of this one, "Steamin'" and "Relaxin'" and "Cookin'". . . really like the sound of these and these are what I play when I have to hear this great music.

Miles Davis "Workin'" Prestige/JVC XRCD LP facsimile cd

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #22229 - 09/11/22 at 03:12:41

OK Lon I'll bite what is an LP facsimile version?  

I've got Miles Walkin', Relaxin', and Cookin' on Prestige.  The RVG 20-bit remasters and they sound great - some of the cleanest recordings I've heard.   Is what you describe the next level up?

ChrisC

Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22230 - 09/11/22 at 03:29:07

An LP facsimile (also known as a "paper sleeve edition" or a "mini LP cd") is a cd packaged to appear like a little LP--a paper sleeve like an LP and with the front and back cover of the LP reprinted as the front and back of the paper sleeve for the cd.

I have the RVG editions of those too, now in storage so can't make an immediate comparison again. They sound really good--I really do like the sound of the Prestige series of RVG Editions. These XRCD though. . . they are a special series done by JVC Japan where special attention and connectivity is paid to all elements of the mastering to pressing chain. These sound less rich than the RVGs by a hair and more detailed and a bit smoother by a hair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Resolution_Compact_Disc

A Bob Dylan LP facsimile cd from Japan (with obi)

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #22231 - 09/11/22 at 03:37:15

Lon,

As always, thanks.  

ChrisC

Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22232 - 09/11/22 at 05:28:24

Everyone has winked out.  I am just in the right mind space for some Van Halen.
I think sometimes I miss Mike and Ed arguing over a note or an intro the whole time we had for sound check with Alex taking one side, then the other, trying to end the argument. Always had the drums set since Alex showed up an hour early most of the time just to "work out" some before he had to go to work.
Very few clear pics of Alex because he was always moving faster than a shutter can catch. Amazing!

Some of the midnight whisper listening is the best.
... an old LP.

Van_Halen1.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22233 - 09/11/22 at 17:05:00

"Live at the Detroit Jazz Festival" Wayne Shorter, Terri Lynne Carrington, Esperanza Spalding, Leo Genovese.

Interesting performances!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22234 - 09/11/22 at 18:01:23

Sheila Jordan "The Crossing" Blackhawk Records cd

I decided to pick up a few Sheila Jordan discs I didn't have. This is a nice one.

Bass – Harvie Swartz
Drums – Ben Riley
Flugelhorn – Tom Harrell
Piano – Kenny Barron
Producer – Herb Wong
Vocals – Sheila Jordan

Recorded at Gramavision Studio, New York City on October 1-2, 1984

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22235 - 09/12/22 at 15:25:11

Erroll Garner "One World Concert" Octave/Mack Avenue cd

Man the personality in this pianism! This is a good disc to show why people loved Erroll so much. "Sweet and Lovely" here is incredible.

And the Plangent Process was used. God Bless the Plangent Process.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22236 - 09/12/22 at 15:44:28

Grateful Dead, "Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings" first set, November 11.

From this box set:

https://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/sites/default/files/11-11-1973.png

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22237 - 09/12/22 at 16:52:26

Grant Green "Feelin' the Spirit" Blue Note Japan UHQCD

I love Herbie's playing on this one. And Billy is so interesting here, grooving and testifying.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22238 - 09/12/22 at 20:54:31

Kenny Burrell "Night Song" Verve/Universal Japan SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22239 - 09/13/22 at 12:33:13

Dave Douglas Quintet "Brazen Heart Live at Jazz Standard - Friday" disc2, "9:30" second set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22240 - 09/13/22 at 13:34:53

Ricardo Grilli "If On a Winter's Night A Traveler" cd

This Brazilian born guitarist is quite a writer and player!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22241 - 09/13/22 at 15:17:20

Lou Donaldson "Sassy Soul Strut" Blue Note Japan cd 2021

I agree with the AllMusic review by Jason Ankeny who stated "Sassy Soul Strut quickly settles comfortably into a light, accessible mode too lively to dismiss as smooth jazz but too mellow to pass as anything else. Butler's arrangements haven't dated particularly well, but the record's too innocuous and good-natured to qualify as an outright failure. It's simply forgettable, nothing more and nothing less."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22242 - 09/13/22 at 15:28:56

Talk on another board made me pull out this old favorite.

Miles Davis "Get Up With It" Sony Blu-Spec CD2 disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22243 - 09/13/22 at 17:38:08

Flora Purim "Everyday, Everynight" Warner Bros LP.

I bought this when it was a new release and loved it then and still do now. Raulzinho on trombone really delivers!

Acoustic Guitar – Oscar Neves
Bass – Alphonso Johnson, Byron Miller, Jaco Pastorius
Drums – Airto Moreira, Chester Thompson, Harvey Mason
Electric Piano – George Duke, Herbie Hancock, Michel Colombier
Guitar – Al Ciner, George Sopuch Orchestrated By – Michel Colombier
Percussion – Airto Moreira, Laudir de Oliveira
Piano – David Foster, Herbie Hancock, Michel Colombier
Producer – Airto Moreira, Bob Monaco
Saxophone – David Sanborn, Michael Brecker  
Synthesizer – Michael Boddicker, Michel Colombier
Trombone – Raul De Souza
Trumpet – Randy Brecker
Vocals – Flora Purim, George Duke

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22244 - 09/13/22 at 18:05:52

Lon, thanks for the heads up regarding Ricardo Grilli.

Not sure how I've missed this guy. Severalth time you helped me take the Brazilian scene more seriously. I "assume" since he was born there.
I went to preview a couple YouTube vids and took it straight to my Tidal feed. Good stuff.

Using my mono stack today, conserving sanity, doing some tool work for the Honey Do list.
My wife returned to work yesterday!!
Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22245 - 09/13/22 at 18:11:34

Huzzah Mrs. DD is back at work? Excellent!

Yes Grilli is a very cool musician. Traditional and yet also creating new trails. Glad you are enjoying his work.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22246 - 09/13/22 at 18:17:20

Yes, the end is near!
Still a couple more CTs to get past, but all is looking good.

I'm sticking with Ricardo G. for a while!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22247 - 09/13/22 at 19:18:56

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22248 - 09/13/22 at 20:16:43

Sue Raney "Songs for a Raney Day" TOCJ SuperBit Jazz Classics lp facsimile cd from Japan

Capitol Records of this early stereo age sound fabulous. This cd presents that sound very well. It's only the second Raney that I have. . .I don't really collect her but will pick one up if it shows up in my path.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22249 - 09/14/22 at 13:36:56

Greg Osby "Further Ado" Blue Note cd

As my system has improved I've been able to enjoy some discs better than ever before. This is one of them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 ... 504
Send Topic Print