04/19/24 at 16:48:57 

Pages: 1 ... 442 443 444 445 446 ... 503
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1276205 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #22150 - 08/27/22 at 22:54:52

This might not be for everyone, but I'm really enjoying it this afternoon.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000
Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZxm5Rv5Ss&list=PLHTo__bpnlYWTUomlfikb6UC3VUsZV...

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22151 - 08/28/22 at 00:46:51

https://youtu.be/uVlSVkzbJDA

Goldstar had the best Echo chamber in LA.
In the studio with Brian Wilson and the wrecking crew.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #22152 - 08/28/22 at 01:54:49

Amy is spinning.

3261C79A-2832-4C4B-BBD1-20366618A1C8.jpeg
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22153 - 08/28/22 at 03:34:06

Another hour and the "baby" will be down (21 year old daughter just home from her work) and I am not done with my Chopin collection yet.

Too many LPs for this evening, starting there, but a few CDs on deck I might get through or save for later.

It's my night, now. Magic Time approaches and only the second time in quite a while I have been able to try to enter Magic Time.

One of my better sounding ones to start.

Chopin_Piano_25.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22154 - 08/28/22 at 11:36:16

https://youtu.be/s3xjnM64g-A Lo-Fi 720 p
SUN RA  EXOTICA    

Le Sony'r Ra (born Herman Poole Blount, May 22, 1914 – May 30, 1993), better known as Sun Ra, was an American jazz composer, bandleader, piano and synthesizer player, and poet known for his experimental music, "cosmic" philosophy, prolific output, and theatrical performances. For much of his career, Ra led "The Arkestra", an ensemble with an ever-changing name and flexible line-up.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22155 - 08/28/22 at 12:48:12

Just another reminder that On-going through Sunday and Monday two more days of the
Lester Young Charlie Parker Birthday Broadcast on www.WKCR.org Columbia University Radio 89.9 on your dial

If you have any interest in the history of Charlie Parker and Lester Young and their recording dates and which musicians they played with at which recording session and all the minutia that goes along with the sessions hear the music and hear the stories on WKCR this weekend.

treaming at wkcr.org, or on your dial @ 89.9 fm radio in NYC area. https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/lester-young-charlie-parker-festival....
The Lester Young Charlie Parker annual weekend festival

SATURDAY, AUGUST 27, 2022 - 12:00AM TO MONDAY, AUGUST 29, 2022 - 11:59PM
WKCR is excited to present its annual Lester Young & Charlie Parker festival to run from August 27th to 29th. Beginning Saturday, August 27, WKCR will have a three-day festival dedicated to the music of saxophonists Lester "Prez" Young and Charlie "Bird" Parker. The 27th marks Prez's birthday, and the 29th, is Bird’s. We will play 24 hours of Young on the 27th, 24 hours of Parker on the 29th, and both Young and Parker interchangeably on the 28th. This is the station’s flagship jazz broadcast event of the year and will feature student programmers, alumni, and Schaap archives for a full 72 hours.

Join WKCR in celebrating two individuals who were true pioneers of their music. Tune in to 89.9FM-NY or online at wkcr.org from midnight, Saturday, August 27th until midnight, Tuesday, August 30th for the full 72-hour celebration!

The full festival broadcast schedule is as follows:
August 27th - LY      August 28th      August 29th - CP
12 AM - 3 AM      Phil Schaap Archival      Phil Schaap Archival      Sam Seliger
3 AM - 6 AM      Paul Burkey      Phil Schaap Archival      Schaap Uncut
6 AM - 9 AM      Paul Burkey      Phil Schaap Archival      Schaap Uncut
9 AM - 12 PM      Phil Schaap Archival      Sam Seliger      Stephen Park
12 PM - 3 PM      Sam Seliger      Jacob Grayzel      Matthew Rivera
3 PM - 6 PM      Drew Sirenko      Ale Diaz-Pizarro      Sam Seliger
6 PM - 9 PM      Phil Schaap Traditions in Swing      Sid Gribetz      Schuyler R.
9 PM - 12 AM      Charles Iselin      Two Schaap Interviews      Phil Schaap Archival
August 27: Celebrating Lester Young's Birthday

August 28: Featuring a mix of both musicians

August 29: Celebrating Charlie Parker's Birthday

Phil Schaap Archival Schedule:

8/27:

12AM-3AM: Originally broadcast on 8/31/2019, the Parker/Young festival, In part 3 of 4 of this extended Lester Young celebration, Phil features a thematic potpourri of rare alternate takes from the November 1939 Count Basie Hollywood session, the Martin Block Jam Session, Prez' contributions to the From Spirituals to Swing concerts, solo excerpts from the Jones-Smith, Inc. session and a pair of Billie Holiday tracks.

9AM-12PM: Originally broadcast on 8/12/2013, in preparation for that year's Parker/Young festival, Phil takes an Out to Lunch to dive into “Prez on Aladdin.”

6PM-9PM: Originally broadcast on 8/31/2013, Traditions in Swing, after the annual Parker/Young festival, Phil devotes his Traditions in Swing to more Prez.

8/28:

12AM-1:20AM: Originally broadcast on 7/5/2017, Bird Flight “Lady Be Good,” on this edition of Bird Flight Phil describes the story of the famed "Lady Be Good" recording from Jazz at the Philharmonic, featuring Charlie Parker and Lester Young.

1:20AM-4AM: Originally broadcast on 9/9/2013, Out to Lunch, Phil on Lester Young.
4AM-9:20AM: Originally broadcast on 8/27/2010, from the annual Lester Young and Charlie Parker birthday broadcast.

9:40PM-10PM: Originally broadcast on 8/27/1994, as part of the Lester Young Birthday Broadcast, Phil interviews Mary Young, Lester's widow, on various aspects of their family life.

10PM-11:20PM: Originally broadcast on 8/27/2003, from the archives, an incomplete interview with Lee Young, Lester Young's brother, on the Lester Young Birthday Broadcast. The interview focuses on The President's early 1940s activities.

8/29:

3AM-9AM: Originally broadcast on 8/29/2013, for the 40th anniversary of the Charlie Parker festival, Phil presents a musical biography of Bird.

9:20PM-12AM: Originally broadcast on 8/30/2018, as a follow-up to the annual Birthday Broadcast, Phil presents a Charlie Parker potpourri with recordings not covered on the previous day's marathon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22156 - 08/28/22 at 13:41:45

Last few decades I've read as much about Pres and Bird as I could and I have nearly their complete catalog of recordings, official and unofficial--love their music and their stories.

I don't listen to radio any more. . . in the past I listened to a few of these annual programs especially hosted by the late Phil Shaap. Man that guy could talk!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22157 - 08/28/22 at 14:02:10

Phil sure could talk a blue streak and get into minutia more than any one I know. When my daughter took up the clarinet in high school she and I attended Phil‘s college of jazz knowledge at Lincoln Center. It was a informal course on the history of recorded jazz. She was a little young for it but she enjoyed it the first couple of times. Then she let me know if she was giving up the clarinet.  As you can see they have memorialized all of Phil‘s broadcasts and he is still on the air daily talking the same jazz history riffs to exhaustion, hitting every possible note of hidden detail. I found his interviews with the players and the sidemen going back over the sessions The Who the what the where and the when and the how of all the recordings   Of course you know Phil Schaap is completely commercial free as is WKCR no news no sports no weather. Once, twice  or three times a year they have fundraisers For expenses but Phil broadcast live for close to 50 years without being paid a dime

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22158 - 08/28/22 at 14:59:04

Yes, if jazz had a saint he was one of them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22159 - 08/28/22 at 15:50:53

"Terry Gibs Quartet" Impulse/Universal Japan cd.

followed by
Marquis Hill "New Gospel Revisited" Edition Records cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22160 - 08/29/22 at 14:17:12

Duke Ellington "Live at the Berlin Jazz Festival 1969-1973" Lost Recordings cd

https://tinyurl.com/4rm34abr

Great sound, interesting performances. Scratching my Ellington itch this morning.

You know there was a time when I didn’t pay much attention to late Ellington. But I now realize what a mistake that was. There’s a world of charm in the late recordings. And “the piano player” was often featured prominently for good reasons.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22161 - 08/29/22 at 15:11:21

Cal Tjader Carmen McRae "Heat Wave" Concord Picante cd

Cal Tjader's final recording. Apparently Cal and Carmen didn't get along too well on this session but I like it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22162 - 08/29/22 at 16:50:26

Franco Cerri "Bossa Nova"

CDJapan actually sent me this cd instead of "International Jazz Meeting" which has Barney Wilen. I kept it anyway, it's an interesting early (1963) Bossa Nova interpretation from Europe. Nothing serious or ground-breaking but it does make me want to move about. Like the flute and trombone blend on many main melody statements.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22163 - 08/29/22 at 17:17:26

The new stereo US cd released Friday on the newly managed Candid Records label, "The World of Cecil Taylor."

This certainly sounds very good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22164 - 08/29/22 at 18:04:43

Count Basie and His Orchestra "This Time by Basie" Reprise cd

Another 1963 album. Slick, smooth, swinging.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22165 - 08/30/22 at 12:24:06

https://youtu.be/IEwgTP2Ouc4  Lo-Fi 720p

ESG -Emerald, Sapphire and Gold - Erase You

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22166 - 08/30/22 at 13:09:09

Booker Little Quintet "Up Front" Candid stereo cd 2022

The last of the new four that I get to listen to one more on the way maybe next week). Best version of this stereo mix I've heard. I think for this session the mono mix is possibly as good.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22167 - 08/30/22 at 13:51:58

https://youtu.be/ykDo7uvXsSY Lo-Fi 480p
And now Booker T. and the MG’s

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22168 - 08/30/22 at 13:56:24

Very listenable. I love the Yellowjackets. Got to see them in a dumpy concert hall round the back of King's Cross Station in the 90's, and loved 'em ever since.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22169 - 08/30/22 at 14:00:41

Bossarenova Trio "Atlantico"

My wife sang to me before she went off to work this morning, a treat I always enjoy--I love her voice. Made me want to hear another beautiful voice, so I picked this one for Paula Morelenbaum's--a real master of singing in several languages.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22170 - 08/30/22 at 14:05:54

That’s real sweet

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22171 - 08/30/22 at 15:03:26

Sun Ra "Ra to the Rescue" Modern Harmonic cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22172 - 08/30/22 at 15:35:00

Aretha Franklin "Oh Me, Oh My: Live in Philly I972" Atlantic cd

Rock steady!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22173 - 08/30/22 at 16:34:20

Milt Jackson and John Coltrane "Bags & Trane" mono Atlantic cd

From this boxset

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22174 - 08/31/22 at 13:49:54

Thursday, disc 2 (9:30 set)

Dave Doulas "Brazen Heart: Live at the Jazz Standard" Thursday night (of four nights, 2 sets each night, 8 discs)

Lots to enjoy on these discs listen after listen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22175 - 08/31/22 at 14:54:41

Booker Ervin "That's It" Candid cd 2022, stereo.

With Horace Parlan, George Tucker and Al Harewood. This is probably the fifth time I've bought this music, and the last two times (the Japanese mono cd release, and this one) the sound is finally really good. The music has always had my attention.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22176 - 08/31/22 at 15:42:07

Unfortunately we just lost Jamie Branch. "Fly or Die II" cd.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #22177 - 08/31/22 at 20:32:37

Pontiac
Artist: Lyle Lovett
Released: 1987
Engineer, Mixing: Steve Tillisch      
Engineer: Ron Treat      

For the Sake of the Rhyme
Madison Cunningham
Paul Simon      Composer
Tyler Chester      Composer

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22178 - 09/01/22 at 12:36:45

i forgot how good the two volumes of this live date are.

Carmen McRae "At the Great American Music Hall Volume 1" Blue Note Japan TOCJ cd.

Bass – Ed Bennett
Keyboards – Marshall Otwell
Percussion – Joey Baron
Trumpet – Dizzy Gillespie

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22179 - 09/01/22 at 13:23:48

David Sanchez "Travesia" Columbia cd

with Edsel Gomez-piano- Hans Glaschwignig-bass - Antonio Sanchez- drums, and Miguel Zenon alto sax.

A great fusion of jazz and latin elements by a tight group.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22180 - 09/01/22 at 14:02:38

https://youtu.be/7RoTQcOWM4k Disc 1

https://youtu.be/8F8zl_QEWa0 Disc 2

https://youtu.be/bODsNYyzDg4 Disc 3

Sonny Rollins - The Complete Prestige Recordings

tracks: Disc 1
0:00:02 E̲l̲y̲s̲e̲e̲
0:03:09 ̲O̲p̲u̲s̲ ̲V̲
0:05:50 ̲H̲i̲l̲o̲
0:08:35 ̲F̲o̲x̲ ̲H̲u̲n̲t̲
0:11:22 ̲M̲o̲r̲p̲h̲e̲u̲s̲
0:13:45 ̲D̲o̲w̲n̲
0:16:37 ̲B̲l̲u̲e̲ ̲R̲o̲o̲m̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲1̲)̲
0:19:30 ̲W̲h̲i̲s̲p̲e̲r̲i̲n̲g̲
0:22:40 ̲I̲ ̲K̲n̲o̲w̲
0:25:13 ̲C̲o̲n̲c̲e̲p̲t̲i̲o̲n̲
0:29:16 ̲O̲u̲t̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲T̲h̲e̲ ̲B̲l̲u̲e̲
0:35:32 ̲D̲e̲n̲i̲a̲l̲
0:41:13 ̲B̲l̲u̲i̲n̲g̲
0:51:09 ̲D̲i̲g̲
0:58:43 ̲M̲y̲ ̲O̲l̲d̲ ̲F̲l̲a̲m̲e̲
1:05:17 ̲I̲t̲'̲s̲ ̲O̲n̲l̲y̲ ̲A̲ ̲P̲a̲p̲e̲r̲ ̲M̲o̲o̲n̲

Tracklist:      Disc 2      
2-1      T̲i̲m̲e̲ ̲O̲n̲ ̲M̲y̲ ̲H̲a̲n̲d̲s̲      0:00:02
2-2      ̲M̲a̲m̲b̲o̲ ̲B̲o̲u̲n̲c̲e̲      0:02:42
2-3      ̲T̲h̲i̲s̲ ̲L̲o̲v̲e̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲M̲i̲n̲e̲      0:05:05
2-4      ̲S̲h̲a̲d̲r̲a̲c̲k̲      0:07:39
2-5      ̲O̲n̲ ̲A̲ ̲S̲l̲o̲w̲ ̲B̲o̲a̲t̲ ̲T̲o̲ ̲C̲h̲i̲n̲a̲      0:10:05
2-6      ̲W̲i̲t̲h̲ ̲A̲ ̲S̲o̲n̲g̲ ̲I̲n̲ ̲M̲y̲ ̲H̲e̲a̲r̲t̲      0:12:46
2-7      ̲S̲c̲o̲o̲p̲s̲      0:15:53
2-8      ̲N̲e̲w̲k̲'̲s̲ ̲F̲a̲d̲e̲a̲w̲a̲y̲      0:18:08
2-9      ̲C̲o̲m̲p̲u̲l̲s̲i̲o̲n̲      0:21:22
2-10      ̲T̲h̲e̲ ̲S̲e̲r̲p̲e̲n̲t̲'̲s̲ ̲T̲o̲o̲t̲h̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲1̲)̲      0:27:26
2-11      ̲T̲h̲e̲ ̲S̲e̲r̲p̲e̲n̲t̲'̲s̲ ̲T̲o̲o̲t̲h̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲2̲)̲      0:34:09
2-12      ̲'̲R̲o̲u̲n̲d̲ ̲A̲b̲o̲u̲t̲ ̲M̲i̲d̲n̲i̲g̲h̲t̲      0:40:25
2-13      ̲I̲n̲ ̲A̲ ̲S̲e̲n̲t̲i̲m̲e̲n̲t̲a̲l̲ ̲M̲o̲o̲d̲      0:47:32
2-14      ̲T̲h̲e̲ ̲S̲t̲o̲p̲p̲e̲r̲      0:50:51
2-15      ̲A̲l̲m̲o̲s̲t̲ ̲L̲i̲k̲e̲ ̲B̲e̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲I̲n̲ ̲L̲o̲v̲e̲      0:53:49
2-16      ̲N̲o̲ ̲M̲o̲e̲      0:57:14
2-17      ̲T̲h̲i̲n̲k̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲O̲n̲e̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲1̲)̲      1:00:47
2-18      ̲T̲h̲i̲n̲k̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲O̲n̲e̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲2̲)̲      1:06:26

tracks: Disc 3
0:00:02 L̲e̲t̲'̲s̲ ̲C̲a̲l̲l̲ ̲T̲h̲i̲s̲
0:05:06 ̲F̲r̲i̲d̲a̲y̲ ̲T̲h̲e̲ ̲1̲3̲t̲h̲
0:15:40 ̲S̲o̲f̲t̲ ̲S̲h̲o̲e̲
0:20:41 ̲C̲o̲n̲f̲a̲b̲ ̲I̲n̲ ̲T̲e̲m̲p̲o̲
0:24:37 ̲I̲'̲l̲l̲ ̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲R̲o̲m̲a̲n̲c̲e̲
0:29:36 ̲A̲i̲r̲e̲g̲i̲n̲
0:34:36 ̲O̲l̲e̲o̲
0:39:49 ̲B̲u̲t̲ ̲N̲o̲t̲ ̲F̲o̲r̲ ̲M̲e̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲1̲)̲
0:45:32 ̲B̲u̲t̲ ̲N̲o̲t̲ ̲F̲o̲r̲ ̲M̲e̲ ̲(̲T̲a̲k̲e̲ ̲2̲)̲
0:50:09 ̲D̲o̲x̲y̲
0:55:02 ̲M̲o̲v̲i̲n̲'̲ ̲O̲u̲t̲
0:59:31 ̲S̲w̲i̲n̲g̲i̲n̲'̲ ̲F̲o̲r̲ ̲B̲u̲m̲s̲y̲
1:05:18 ̲S̲i̲l̲k̲ ̲'̲N̲'̲ ̲S̲a̲t̲i̲n̲
1:09:19 ̲S̲o̲l̲i̲d̲

Credits:
Tenor Saxophone – S̲o̲n̲n̲y̲ ̲R̲o̲l̲l̲i̲n̲s̲ ̲,
Alto Saxophone – Jackie McLean (tracks: 1-10 - 1-16)
Bass –
Doug Watkins (tracks: 6-1 to 6-5),
George Morrow (tracks: 4-4 to 4-8, 5-1 to 5-5, 6-6 to 6-8, 7-1 to 7-13),
Leonard Gaskin (tracks: 1-1 to 1-4),
Paul Chambers (3) (tracks: 4-9 to 4-11, 5-6 to 5-10),
Percy Heath (tracks: 1-9, 2-1 to 2-8, 2-10 to 2-18, 3-3 to 3-14),
Tommy Potter (tracks: 1-10 to 1-16, 3-2, 4-1 to 4-3)
Drums –
"Philly" Joe Jones (tracks: 5-6 to 5-10),
Art Blakey (tracks: 1-9 to 1-16, 2-1 to 2-8, 2-13 to 2-16, 3-11 to 3-14),
Art Taylor (tracks: 3-2, 4-1 to 4-3),
Kenny Clarke (tracks: 1-5 to 1-8, 3-3 to 3-10),
Max Roach (tracks: 1-1 to 1-4, 4-4 to 4-8, 5-1 to 5-5, 6-1 to 6-8, 7),
Willie Jones (tracks: 2-17, 2-18, 3-1, 3-2)
French Horn – Julius Watkins (tracks: 2-17, 2-18, 3-1, 3-2)
Lead Vocals – Earl Coleman (tracks: 7-8 to 7-13)
Piano –
Elmo Hope (tracks: 3-11 to 3-14),
Horace Silver (tracks: 3-3 to 3-10),
John Lewis (2) (tracks: 1-1 to 1-8),
Kenny Drew (tracks: 1-9, 2-1 to 2-8, 2-13 to 2-16, 3-11 to 3-14),
Ray Bryant (tracks: 4-4 to 4-8),
Red Garland (tracks: 5-6 to 5-10),
Richie Powell (tracks: 5-1 to 5-5),
Thelonious Monk (tracks: 2-17 to 2-18, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1 to 4-3),
Tommy Flanagan (tracks: 6-1 to 6-5),
Wade Legge (tracks: 6-6 to 6-8, 7-1 to 7-7, 7-10),
Walter Bishop, Jr. (tracks: 1-10 to 1-16, 2-10 to 2-12)
Tenor Saxophone –
John Coltrane (tracks: 5-10)
Trombone –
Bennie Green (tracks: 1-5 to 1-8),
J.J. Johnson (tracks: 1-1 to 1-4)
Trumpet –
Art Farmer (tracks: 3-3 to 3-5),
Clifford Brown (tracks: 5-1 to 5-5),
Kenny Dorham (tracks: 1-1 to 1-4, 3-11 to 3-14, 6-6 to 6-7, 7-1 to 7-7),
Miles Davis (tracks: 1-5 to 1-8, 1-10 to 1-16, 2-9 to 2-12, 3-6 to 3-10)

Notes: Recorded By – Rudy Van Gelder
Recording Date May 26, 1949 - December 6, 1956

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22181 - 09/01/22 at 14:37:45

Santana "Abraxas" Mobile Fidelity Lab gold cd

I have the Mobile Fidelity SACD as well but this one is still a good sounding mastering and disc.

The music takes me back a bit to college days.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22182 - 09/01/22 at 16:57:26

Bud Freeman "1935-1945 The Alternate Takes in Chronological Order" Neatwork cd

'Fing good stuff.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22183 - 09/01/22 at 18:08:42

Les McCann and the Jazz Crusaders "Jazz Waltz" Japan EMI cd

A rather silly European cover:

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #22184 - 09/01/22 at 19:29:11

Another nice Qobuz playlist for your streaming listening pleasure:

Andrew Jones Demo by Andrew on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/4072540

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22185 - 09/01/22 at 20:33:15

Giving my speakers a workout.

Stefon Harris + Blackout "Sonic Creed" Motema cd

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22186 - 09/02/22 at 01:22:27

https://youtu.be/ipjZR-ENFFI Lo-Fi 720p
TEN YEARS AFTER - Cricklewood Green (1970 vinyl rip) 🇬🇧

SIDE ONE
SUGAR THE ROAD                                00:00
WORKING ON THE ROAD                    04:17
50,000 MILES BENEATH MY BRAIN  08:34
YEAR 3,000 BLUES                               16:12

SIDE TWO
ME AND MY BABY                                18:36
LOVE LIKE A MAN                                22:50
CIRCLES                                                 30:24
AS THE SUN STILL BURNS AWAY     34:24

Créditos
Alvin Lee - Guitarra , voz
Leo Lyons - Bajo
Ric Lee - batería
Chick Churchill - órgano Hammond

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22187 - 09/02/22 at 14:18:11

Carmen McRae "Any Old Time" Denon cd

A swinging affair, recorded in New York, June 23, 1986

Bass – Scott Colley
Drums – Mark Pulice
Guitar – John Collins
Piano – Eric Gunnison
Tenor Saxophone – Clifford Jordan
Vocals – Carmen McRae

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22188 - 09/02/22 at 15:38:51

Bud Freeman "1945-1946" Chronogical Classics cd

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w4iEGpZpckw/TpQ-KCZoaiI/AAAAAAAABLo/PxPLxZiV7Ow/s1600...
/Bud+Freeman+1945-46b.jpg

Possibly the least essential of the Bud Freeman Classics discs as there's some tom-foolery here (making fun of modern jazz in the high falutin' accent that he liked to project) and a lot of sides with a female singing group that aren't the cat's meow. But still. . . a fun listen for a Friday morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22189 - 09/02/22 at 18:02:08

Milt Jackson "Plenty, Plenty Soul" Atlantic cd

What bands!

Alto Saxophone – Ronnie Peters (first half)
Baritone Saxophone – Sahib Shihab (first half)
Bass – Oscar Pettiford (second half), Percy Heath (first half)
Drums – Art Blakey (first half), Connie Kay (second half)
Engineer  – Johnny Cue
Piano – Horace Silver
Supervised By – Nesuhi Ertegun
Tenor Saxophone – Frank Foster (first half), Lucky Thompson (second half)
Trombone – Jimmy Cleveland (first half)
Trumpet – Joe Newman
Vibraphone – Milt Jackson

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22190 - 09/02/22 at 18:37:06

One of my favorite albums of Brazilian jazz.

Jovino Santos Neto Quinteto "Por Causa de Voce"

The amazing compositions of Antonio Carlos Jobim played by a fantastic band and recorded with precision adding up to a wonderful listen.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22191 - 09/02/22 at 21:48:46

https://youtu.be/rzLBj7TwYlk HD1080p

Ssssh - Ten Yearss After

All songs composed by Alvin Lee, except where noted.
Bad Scene – 00:01
Two Time Mama – 03:30
Stoned Woman – 05:33
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl – (Sonny Boy Williamson) 08:54
If You Should Love Me – 16:04
I Don't Know That You Don't Know My Name – 21:28
The Stomp – 23:34
I Woke Up This Morning – 28:04

Ten Years After
Alvin Lee – guitar, vocals
Leo Lyons – bass
Ric Lee – drums
Chick Churchill – organ
Alvin Lee 1969
This Music IS the Music of Ten Years After

The major problem in being TEN YEARS
AFTER has been to record an album in
the studio Which has the same basic
effect that we find second nature to
create on a good live performance.

Up to this date, we have had three
previous album trips. The first was as a
result of getting a recording contract and
in the excitement of recording our own
music for the first time we feel we over-
looked a lot of the advantages the studio
could have given us.

Similarly on the second album “Undead”
which was TEN YEARS AFTER playing
live at a small club, recorded in one take.
The problem on this album was that only
the sound of what happened was
represented and l personally felt that the
visions and physical experience of a
tightly packed sweltering room were
missed when listening to the album,
giving and incomplete picture of the
whole event.

At this point we said “SIDE TRIP”; our
album will show what we can do in the
studio. This was “Stonedhenge,” not

particularly what we wanted to do, but
the way we did what we happened to
do. I still don’t know if this really worked.
All I do know is it kept the wolf from the
door and made some bread, enabling us
to pay the cost of hiring our own studio
and being more free than ever before
while recording.

We have attempted with SSSSH to lay
down the basic TEN YEARS AFTER
music at the same time create an
atmosphere which evolves more than
what is heard. A lot of things have been
left in, which previously technicians
would have hidden. We have attempted
to compensate for the lack of visions and
physical experiences by adding sounds
to the basic tracks. We have had a lot of
grooves and now we await what you
have to say.

Ssssh.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22192 - 09/03/22 at 00:56:32

https://youtu.be/Ly7Ti0lY8_I Lo-Fi 480p
Bill Withers 1973 BBC Concert Rare Complete Gig

Bill raps a lot during his set.

00:00 Ain't no Sunshine
03:18 Lonely Town, Lonely Street
09:14 Grandma's Hands
11:47 Use Me
16:06 Let Me In Your Life
20:20 Lean On Me
24:43 Harlem

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22193 - 09/03/22 at 01:21:04

https://youtu.be/QRkTo3WbMMQ HD 1080p

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Track Listing:
0:00 1. In the Evening
6:49 2. South Bound Saurez
11:02 3. Fool in the Rain
17:18 4. Hot Dog
20:33 5. Carouselambra
31:07 6. All My Love
36:57 7. I'm Gonna Crawl

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #22194 - 09/03/22 at 16:45:45

Wow, this woman has wonderful voice.

Can't Get Out of This Mood by Samara Joy on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/167528381

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22195 - 09/03/22 at 22:28:54

My friends The Cynz just signed with JEM records

https://thecynz.bandcamp.com/album/lil-devil-2

Li'l Devil by The Cynz

The Cynz are a full-throttle working rock band formed around the songwriting talents of Cyndi Dawson and Henry Seiz. The band has been called “the closest thing to the 1970s CBGB’s you will get from a band that formed in 2011.”

Their songs are hard-rocking tales of pain, heartbreak, survival, determination, redemption, and unbridled joy at 120 mph! They are a fixture on the Lower East Side, NYC.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22196 - 09/03/22 at 23:58:33

David Sanchez "The Departure" Columbia cd

Bass – Andy Gonzalez, Peter Washington
Drums – Leon Parker
Percussion – Milton Cardona
Piano – Danilo Perez
Producer – Bobby Watson
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – David Sanchez
Trumpet – Tom Harrell

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22197 - 09/04/22 at 14:47:03

https://youtu.be/gWLB86QiVDI HD 1080p
https://www.pandora.com/artist/michael-monroe/1-man-gang/AL4Khn3Jdf4VvmX
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr7k3a-U7rlZ46-97l2NJE8UtiRuriBWC full album
Michael Monroe - One Man Gang AKA Positive Mental Attitude PMA

A genuine rock star since birth, Michael Monroe innately knows exactly how to sing, swagger and walk the most glamorous and colourful of walks. One Man Gang, the former Hanoi Rocks man’s brand new offering on Silver Lining Music, is all about the fun of Friday nights, seven days a week, letting your hair down (or up!) for a dirty, dangerous, damn good time, and embracing a total escape into the rock ‘n’ roll dream.

Recorded and mixed by Petri Majuri at E-Studio in Sipoo, Finland over three weeks in March 2018, the 12-song record was mixed that following Autumn with Monroe and band-mates Rich Jones and Steve Conte on production duties.

With stunning presence, Monroe’s vocals blaze their unique trail across catchy, low-slung guitars mixing with saxophones, harmonicas and trumpets, plus a smorgasbord of exciting hooks and melodies. One Man Gang is old-skool strut with rudely fresh vigour.

The title-track’s bombastic bar-room blitz (featuring a guest appearance by Captain Sensible of The Damned) is a valuable reminder that even if born in the gutter, you must always look to the stars.

“It sometimes seems like everybody’s pissing on their own parade,” says Monroe, “whether that’s voting stupid people into power and then complaining about them or whatever, but I’m all about living with a P.M.A. – positive mental attitude – and I’ll never allow myself to be forced away from that.”

Then there’s “Last Train To Tokyo”, with the sort of sticky-yet-crispy riff that was designed to take over radios from Japan to Jamaica.

“In the ‘80s, Hanoi Rocks had a very special relationship with Japan,” explains Monroe, “and it will always be one of my favourite countries.  Plus, they still live for rock ‘n’ roll as it should be celebrated, they still have physical product, they still make it crazy, exhausting and really exciting every time you go there, which I am really grateful for.”

With the further electric likes of “Junk Planet”, “Hollywood Paranoia” and “Wasted Years” on board, One Man Gang is going to smash down doors and give the rock ‘n’ roll scene a swift, and necessary, kick up the ass.

Michael Monroe will soon be striding back towards the arenas he was born to be in, and everything you see is everything you get.

“I do what I do and I’ll never change,” says Monroe, “I don’t dress any different on or off stage because this is who I am… this is the real me.”

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22198 - 09/04/22 at 15:19:01

Greg Osby "Inner Circle" Blue Note cd

This has become one of my favorite Osby releases. Some very Monkian writing.

Alto Saxophone, Producer– Greg Osby
Bass – Tarus Mateen
Drums – Eric Harland
Piano – Jason Moran
Producer – Greg Osby
Vibraphone – Stefon Harris

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22199 - 09/04/22 at 18:22:01

This is one of the most bizarre funk and jazz albums ever. Three masterful drummers are on these tracks so they have a real groove that is attention-grabbing. For me it works as a "party" disc. Party of one. Wink

Archie Shepp "The Losers" Impulse Records/Universal Japan cd

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 444 445 446 ... 503
Send Topic Print