Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 03:27:16 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 35878 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #200 - 01/18/24 at 01:56:15

The always entertaining P.D.Q. Bach (Peter Schickele) passed away this week at 88. He was a favorite of my father's and they both went to Swarthmore College (my Dad was 2 or 3 years ahead of him there.)

Peter Shickele is in the rear, photographed at Swarthmore.

Peter_Schickele_at_Swarthmore.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #201 - 01/18/24 at 03:18:59

I'm a big P.D.Q. fan, he will be missed (although I'm a little surprised he was still alive).

My Dad was a big fan of Victor Borge, and so am I. He claims he impersonated Borge for the Governor of Idaho when he (my dad) was in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDX1Vl-Jxk

For the uninitiated.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #202 - 01/18/24 at 03:20:50

Enjoying Zuill Bailey Bach Cello Suites as I evaluate my Err’s with the new Duelund Resistors.  Feel free to read more about this in the Err section.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #203 - 01/18/24 at 05:09:04

I too was a big Victor Borge fan growing up. That was a fun clip to watch. Thanks for including link.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #204 - 01/18/24 at 06:22:55

Hello folks.

I had an SE84 for a brief spell years ago, I'm now on the Godot list. Hope I'm not intruding.

I love the French Romantic/impressionists. Ravel, Debussy, Saint-Saens, Faure, etc. Just can’t get enough.

C'est moi! Hi Geno.

The record you cited also has the Gershwin Piano Concerto in F. Not sure who's version I like best, but the most entertaining (for me) is from Oscar Levant in the movie An American in Paris (third movement).

This is a great sub-forum, thanks CAJames.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #205 - 01/18/24 at 09:28:44

That's a good one Dom.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #206 - 01/18/24 at 15:28:01

R.I.P. P.D.Q.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #207 - 01/18/24 at 16:29:58

Quote:
Posted by: Edsonic      Posted on: Yesterday at 22:22:55

...This is a great sub-forum, thanks CAJames.

Thank you! and glad you're enjoying it.

Now it is time for Hard Core Classical (HCC). The Bartok quartets are about as hard core as anything in the standard repertoire. When I first heard one of them (I think the 3rd) many years ago I wasn't even sure it was music as the word is typically understood. But, they are (universally) considered classics, and often called the most important sting quartets since Beethoven. And now I agree. Like Baskin-Robbins chocolate fudge ice cream, they cost a little more, but are worth it.

On CD.

The first two are kind of dreamy and expressionistic. And then there's the 3rd, and the 4th. Like some of Bach, they might make more sense to read from the score than to listen to them but I'm here to tell you they are genius. Based on Bartok's extensive research of Eastern European and North African folk music (among other things he was one of the inventors of ethnomusicology), you can almost hear the singing and see the dancing if you cross your eyes, and ears just right. The Alban Berg Quartet plays with both virtuosity and a warm luminous tone that takes a little (tiny) bit of the edge off.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #208 - 01/18/24 at 19:59:18

Quote:
osted by: Dominick      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:20:50

Enjoying Zuill Bailey Bach Cello Suites...

Interesting. I had Bailey playing the Cello Suites on a Telarc CD several years ago, and wasn't crazy about it. The sound was kinda funky, very un-Telarc like. I assume this one sounds awesome. Of course the classic performance of the Cello Suites has always been Janos Starker on Mercury.

24/176 FLAC Download.

For me it is the perfect mixture of discipline and passion (for my money Bailey over does the latter at the expense of the former, but YMMV). And it has been an audiophile classic ever since it was recorded back in the early 60's. By my (unofficial) count it has been remastered and re-released almost as many times as Kind of Blue. For me personally I have 3 versions, which is highly unusual for my Scottish Heritage:  the original CD, a (pretty unimpressive) LP reissue, I forget which one, and the hirez download that is what I usually listen to when the mood strikes me these days. FTR I'm a huge Janos Starker fan (I've been trying all morning to come up with some version of "Swifty" that I can use, but no go). I have 3 different recordings of him playing the Cello Suites: besides Mercury there is the 50's mono on EMI and early 80's digital on the tiny Sefel Records label. Note to self: check and see what the going price for the Sefel recordings are...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #209 - 01/19/24 at 15:50:25

Plus Debussy.

24/96 FLAC download.

I think this is simply a great Debussy album. MTT has the San Francisco symphony playing like one of the great French orchestras of the world, and the sound is world class as well.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #210 - 01/19/24 at 20:17:50

Is there an opposite of the dreamy French im/expressionism of Ravel and Debussy? How about Brahms. Brahms, the bastion of the Austro-Germanic tradition from Bach thru Beethoven and Schubert and defender of the faith against the "new music" of Liszt and Wagner, to say nothing of the heathens west of the Rhine. (To be clear Brahms himself didn't actually feel that way, as far as I can tell, but his so called supporters made a big deal out of it).

By any standard Brahms was a very great composer who is both respected and popular today, just as he was in his lifetime and all the time in between. And perhaps the reason he is so respected and admired is that his music is endearingly tuneful, emotionally intense, and a master class in compositional technique. And those come together in the forth and final movement of his forth and final symphony like nowhere else. As musical carpentry it is unsurpassed.  

On CD, from the Ozawa German Masterworks box.

Ozawa isn't my first (or even second) choice for the "German Masterworks" but this is a very well played and well recorded collection, and unlike most recordings these days is still unapologetically old school. Which I think is all to the good. YMMV.

For anyone who is interested in a peek behind the curtain at why Brahms is considered such a genius I'll suggest this analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwzfAu1BXI

(I love this guy, one of the very few youtube channels to which I'm subscribed, FWIW)

I'll tell you right now it is a lot, unless you spent your Saturday mornings in music theory class before youth orchestra rehearsal. Or even if you did.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #211 - 01/20/24 at 00:05:44

Very interesting post and link on the Brahms last movement, James!

I just listened a few times to the version I have of the symphony (Brahms 4th Symphony, Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer recorded in the late 1950s)

The first three movements seemed to have clear themes being developed, but I didn't really "get" the structure of the 4th movement.  That is, until I looked at the first few minutes of the link you provided!

When I have more time, I am going to listen more fully to the youtube video, and then listen again.  I guess I will know if I learned something in the process if I can verify one of the early quotes in the video, that this movement is a "veritable orgy of destruction!"

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #212 - 01/20/24 at 15:25:57

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Yesterday at 16:05:44

...When I have more time, I am going to listen more fully to the youtube video, and then listen again.  I guess I will know if I learned something in the process if I can verify one of the early quotes in the video, that this movement is a "veritable orgy of destruction!"

I'm pleased my post motivated you to listen to the piece, and very impressed you listened to any of the analysis. But, and hopefully this goes without saying, just because Felix Weingartner heard a veritable orgy of destruction in the finale of Brahms 4 doesn't mean you must, or should. And just because Richard Atkinson (and I) think it is a work of genius doesn't mean you're under any obligation to even like it. All the highfalutin music theory is a means to an end, and the end is (or should be) an engaging musical experience that means something special to you.

With all that said, the Klemperer Brahms symphonies are certainly classics. One of the great "Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle controversies" among record collectors is Klemperer or Bruno Walter.

On CD.

If I had to pick one I'm on team Walter, but I'm glad I don't have to choose.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #213 - 01/20/24 at 17:34:43

Schumann - Piano Concerto in A minor

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222/Zbit
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #214 - 01/20/24 at 19:00:12

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 09:34:43

...Schumann - Piano Concerto in A minor

Schumann, like Shostakovich, is a composer I just don't get, in spite of their obvious ability to write quality music. But the Piano Concerto is one of the pieces that I listen to from time to time. The other is Kinderszenen.

On CD.

As an aside, I thought I knew all the Reiner RCA albums, but I don't know that one. I have the Todentanz on another CD, but I didn't know Janis recorded the Schumann or Rocky 1 with Reiner.

And since Schumann was an early supporter of Brahms, let me get in one more thing about Johannes. He has a reputation for being relentlessly serious, which is well deserved. His idea of a relaxing vacation was arranging folk songs for chorus. But there is one place where he let his hair down a little. The 2 Serenades.

16/44 FLAC download.

Like everything else Brahms did they are perfectly crafted, but they are fun. Both to listen to and to play.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 01/20/24 at 21:24:14

James - In regard to the Brahms, I really do appreciate the link - even the first few minutes gave me some new insights.  Sometimes learning more about the music really does help me appreciate it more (particularly classical music), and your link provides some of that education - thanks for providing it!

Glad to know that Klemperer is well regarded.  I am starting to think my classical "collection" may be skewed towards older recordings that are cheaper!

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #216 - 01/21/24 at 00:52:28

Hey Geno, my wife and I also listened to a Byron Janis recording this morning.  Dorati conducting Rachmaninoff concertos 2 and 3 1960-1961 Mercury Living Presence.  Nice performances, nice recording.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #217 - 01/21/24 at 01:15:16

Just discovered that Janis is still living at the ripe old age of 95.  And, he’s still hawking his recordings!  Good for him!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #218 - 01/21/24 at 01:46:29

Quote:
Posted by: Doug      Posted on: Today at 16:52:28

Hey Geno, my wife and I also listened to a Byron Janis recording this morning.  Dorati conducting Rachmaninoff concertos 2 and 3 1960-1961 Mercury Living Presence.  Nice performances, nice recording.

That one I know!

24/88 FLAC Download.

Very nice indeed. He is probably my favorite American pianist.

Quote:
Just discovered that Janis is still living at the ripe old age of 95.  And, he’s still hawking his recordings!  Good for him!

Yes. I don't remember exactly the circumstances but he mostly slipped out the the public consciousness. Then I saw a few years ago that he was recording again, which is great.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #219 - 01/21/24 at 05:02:23

James and Doug,

I collect Mercury Living Presence recordings. LP’s and the remastered for cd recordings in the 1990’s, supervised by Wilma Fine, who, along with her husband Bob Fine, made the original recordings, starting in the early 50’s.

I also have a reel to reel recording of the Dorati conducted, 1812 Overture. Recorded in 1955, it used a period bronze cannon, fired a handful of times, for added realism. I remember the first time I heard it - the cannon fire made me jump.

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #220 - 01/21/24 at 15:11:55

This is the recording that sold me on Byron Janis.

On CD.

It is a stupefying display of virtuosity in typical demonstration quality sound.

There is an old(er) Richter recording of Pictures that is somewhat legendary, and I have it on LP. Richter is usually self recommending, esp. in a work like this, but I've never been convinced by it. It is a live recording, and while mistakes don't usually put me off, there are enough in this, coupled with pretty dismal sound and I've never been able to get into it. Pictures is such an overwhelming piece it needs to be recorded in great sound. YMMV.

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Yesterday at 21:02:23

I collect Mercury Living Presence recordings. LP’s and the remastered for cd recordings in the 1990’s, supervised by Wilma Fine, who, along with her husband Bob Fine, made the original recordings, starting in the early 50’s.

Geno, when you say LPs, do you mean the originals or reissues? Between CDs and downloads I've got about 50 Mercuries. I actually have 3 of the original  stereo LPs, and a few more monos that were the hot ticket back in the 80s when I was deep into used record hoarding collecting. I have the reissue LP of Bach/Starker that I mentioned just above. I don't remember whose reissue it is, but it was a lot of money and while the sound is good (but not great) the pressing isn't anything special. It's just one of many underwhelming experiences I've had with modern LPs that has put me off buying any new vinyl.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #221 - 01/21/24 at 15:58:54

1958 version at left. Mono release “Olympian” version at right. I have several of each. It’s a crapshoot as to the quality you end up with, because the originals were played on non cartridge, older style phonographs. The quality depends on how much the record was played with that old needle.

The 20 or so cd’s I have sound really good too, to my ears. They did a fine job on the remastering.

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #222 - 01/21/24 at 16:32:00

The popular version of this seems to be Reiner's, and it is excellent. But I like this one just as much (if not more)

I downloaded a reel to reel recording off of the internet that just sounds fantastic!

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #223 - 01/21/24 at 18:32:43

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 07:58:54

...The 20 or so cd’s I have sound really good too, to my ears. They did a fine job on the remastering.

I agree. I know a lot of people like the "ritual" of playing records, but not me. I'm lazy and would much rather spin a CD or (even easier) queue up a file. And unlike even a few years ago, in most cases my digital sounds so good now I don't feel like I'm missing anything if I choose bits over grooves.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #224 - 01/22/24 at 00:59:34

I've been meaning to say something about Scheherazade, but Geno sorta beat me to the punch.

My reading of the conventional wisdom is Reiner:

DSD rip from SACD

and Beecham

DSD64 HDTT download.

are 1a and 1b in the Scheherazade standings. But I can't think of a bad one and I have (off the top of my head) Monteux, Dutoit, Mehta (in the LA Phil box) and Fricsay (in mono). I don't know von Karajan's recording, but if it is from the 60s or 70s I bet it is great as well.

Between the Big 2 I guess I give the (very slight) edge to Reiner. I'd call Beecham more exotic, and the solos are a bit more individual, or sound more ad lib. Reiner has his signature blend of precision and discipline, and (I have to say it) sex.  And the sound... sure, Beecham sounds great, but Reiner has been one of my test/demo discs for decades (anyone remember the Chesky reissue LPs in the 80s?). The guy who used to run Absolute Sound sound (I forget his name, don't want to look it up) said he could tell everything he needed to about a stereo system by listening to a couple of minutes of the 4th movement of the Reiner Scheherazade, and he was definitely on to something. I listened to it a lot when I was futzing with my new UFO25s a couple of months ago.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #225 - 01/22/24 at 15:41:21

Quote:
1a and 1b in the Scheherazade standings

I'm not big on ranking things, and ones mood at a particular time can affect the enjoyment of a particular piece.

Kondrashin and Stokowski, IMHO, would be in the mix of great ones too.

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #226 - 01/22/24 at 17:54:05

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 07:41:21

...I'm not big on ranking things, and ones mood at a particular time can affect the enjoyment of a particular piece.

Kondrashin and Stokowski, IMHO, would be in the mix of great ones too.

No doubt. I think Igor Markevitch is another one, more in the Reiner school. For me, Scheherazade is not in heavy rotation. When I reach for it it is usually because I want the audiophile spectacular experience. I want to hear the orchestra and soloists.

Moving on to Martinu. If he is known at all it is for chamber music and concertos for every possible combination of instruments. But once I discovered his symphonies I was hooked. They are modern, but fully tonal, contrapuntal, polyphonic, a bit jazzy, and like nothing else. If you're at all #Martinucurious give the 1st symphony 90 seconds and see if you're hooked as well.

On CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #227 - 01/22/24 at 18:01:21

I have four other performances of these suites, and yet I probably play these the most often, as I love the contrabass violin. I wish I could bow like this and I wish mine sounded this alive with midrange energy--but then I'm the only engineer I've heard recording mine.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #228 - 01/22/24 at 19:54:35

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 10:01:21

I have four other performances of these suites, and yet I probably play these the most often, as I love the contrabass violin...

Sold! I need another album of Bach Cello Suites like you need a new amp , but this is pretty cool and it was on sale. I got the 16/44 FLAC download. Good call Lon.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #229 - 01/23/24 at 01:12:52

Haven’t listened to anything with Charles Munch in a while, so this was a nice piece.  Currently streaming in Roon pulled from Qobuz.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #230 - 01/23/24 at 03:11:01

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Today at 17:12:52

Haven’t listened to anything with Charles Munch in a while...

Now that you mention it neither have I. I'm a big Munch (and BSO) fan but for some reason his Beethoven never really spoke to me. Which is clearly my problem, because everyone else thinks its great. I went with the Dvorak 8th from the Munch box.

On CD.

The great French Orchestra has no problem going Czech, and Dvorak's 8th is such a great piece I can't understand why it isn't played more than The New World.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #231 - 01/23/24 at 15:53:38

More Munch.

DSD rip from SACD.

They called (maybe still call) the Boston Symphony the "Aristocrat of Orchestras." I have no idea what that means, but they have always sounded amazing.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #232 - 01/24/24 at 00:04:56

All set, after two more days cleaning 85 vinyl disks and turntable setup.

Disk 1 side 1 Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21. First performed 4-1800 when Beethoven was 30 years of age. This Deutsche Grammophon recording is conducted by Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra at Jesus Christus Kirche in Berlin.

As a side, the misses came in and said it sounds really good. Can you turn it down a little. She returned 2 more more times asking the same question. Now I remember way the Charoit was created! Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #233 - 01/24/24 at 01:30:08

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 16:04:56

...Disk 1 side 1 Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21...

There are a lot of cool things about Beethoven, but (to me) one of the coolest is that the opening chord of his first symphony is a dissonance. It's like Nuke LaLoosh in Bull Durham wanting to "announce my presence with authority," and totally pulling it off. YMMV.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #234 - 01/24/24 at 13:40:22

Edited

I would not say "totally"! Some critics on that first score were disturbed with the dissonance at the beginning of the symphony. It was not until later that Weber declared the composer "ripe for the madhouse."

I can vision two things:
1)The need to listen over until the writings correlate with the music.
2)Installing a door leading to the family room.

Just thought of one more thing. The vinyl is organized to be played on a stackable turntable. First disk has side 10 on the flip side and all five disks of a signal box of the 17 box set follow suit. etc. Disk 2 has has a flip of 9.

Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #235 - 01/24/24 at 16:51:15

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 05:40:22

...I would not say "totally"! Some critics on that first score were disturbed with the dissonance at the beginning of the symphony...

If you go by posterity, and not contemporary critics who are often in over their heads, I'll by stand by totally. But YMMV . For me, my favorite Haydn conductor is also my favorite for Beethoven's most Haydnish symphony.

On CD, from the Bernstein/Beethoven/New York box.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #236 - 01/24/24 at 19:42:17

If you were in a high school band you almost certainly have feelings about the Holst Suites for Band. I love them. Some of my friends never want to hear them again, based on "trauma" they suffered playing them too much back in the 70s. If you want to hear them, for me there are only 2 recordings. The Mercury Mono that Fredrick Fennell made with the faculty and students of the Eastman School back in the 50s.

On CD.

Or the early digital he made with ringers from the Cleveland Orchestra on Telarc.

DSD rip from SACD.

The Telarc is supposed to be a great recording, but I've never heard it. It isn't bad, but I'd rather listen to the (almost) 60 year old mono, YMMV. I also enjoy the enthusiasm of the Eastman players vs. the cool, profession perfection of the Clevelanders, but again YMMV. OTOH Bugler's Dream (the Olympic Fanfare), esp. the second part which is played by the French Horns (as originally intended) instead of trumpets (I guess because even professional horn sections can't always play it) makes the Telarc indispensable.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #237 - 01/25/24 at 21:30:09

Piano Sonata of the Day: Hummel's Sonata no. 5  in F sharp minor, from the Hummel Edition.

16/44 FLAC Download.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #238 - 01/26/24 at 15:41:43

Richard Wagner. Hugely unpleasant human being, but great composer. People like to say he wrote some of the most exciting minutes, and most boring hours, ever set to music. And they have a point. I've been warming up to some of the operas over the years, but the overtures and preludes (FYI/FWIW an overture is played with the curtain down, a prelude with it up) he wrote for those operas are some of the most popular works in the repertoire. And for me, my favorite is Die Meistersinger.

16/44 FLAC download.

Wagner of course was all about breaking away from the "classical" model with his Gesamtkunstwerk "total work of art." But he still had traditional chops, and the way he weaves the different themes from the opera into the magnificent contrapuntal finale of the Meistersinger Overture is a feat of musical carpentry equal to anything in Brahms, or Bach. And Dorati and Mercury do a great job capturing both the detail and the excitement.

Another take on Meistersinger, also on Mercury, is from Paul Paray and the Detroit Symphony.

16/44 FLAC download

Paray was a talented, if obscure composer in his own right and his arrangement of music from the opera is a very different, but equally rewarding way to experience the piece in minutes instead of hours.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #239 - 01/27/24 at 03:46:25

Hello, James.  I finished the Atkinson YouTube on the Brahms 4th Symphony finale.  I thought it was very helpful.  Your warning that it is "a lot" is correct, but it is a lot of well-presented information.  I certainly did not understand all of it, and didn't retain everything I thought I understood, but it was enough to let me enjoy that music at a much deeper level.  For me, it was time well spent.

I think the big thing for me was to better understand what the structure of a "passacaglia" is, which made a huge difference!

Thanks again for sharing the link!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #240 - 01/27/24 at 15:39:07

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:46:25

...I think the big thing for me was to better understand what the structure of a "passacaglia" is, which made a huge difference!

You're very welcome. I'm impressed you made it through the entire video, and pleased it helped you appreciate the work on a deeper level. For me, great music will repay whatever effort I put into studying it (whatever that means) many times over with greater enjoyment.

I think a lot of times the reason it takes a few (or several) listenings for a piece to "click" is the kind of details and inner structure that Atkinson explains in video need to seep into your consciousness. A breakdown like he does can accelerate the process.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #241 - 01/27/24 at 18:59:26

James, you noted that "a lot of times the reason it takes a few (or several) listenings for a piece to 'click' is the kind of details and inner structure that Atkinson explains in video need to seep into your consciousness."

I certainly agree.  I was already pretty familiar with the first 3 movements of the symphony, enough that I was already hearing the references in the 4th movement to motifs from the other movements, but I just couldn't put it into any kind of structure.  

My next classical "project" is to work through the early Beethoven string quartets (Guarneri Quartet, "The Early String Quartets" Opus 18).  

My "approach" so far has been to play this as I am working on the computer or reading - I am hoping that some of that is sinking in, so I will have some familiarty when I start to listen in a focused way, hopefully later this week.  I'll see if that works!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #242 - 01/27/24 at 19:28:40

The Guarneri are a good cycle. Second favorite of mine perhaps tied with the SACD Tokyo Quartet cycle, first being the Vegh stereo cycle--just love that cellist, so rich and dynamic a player.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #243 - 01/27/24 at 23:00:45

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 10:59:26

...My next classical "project" is to work through the early Beethoven string quartets (Guarneri Quartet, "The Early String Quartets" Opus 18).  

That is an excellent project, and I think having them on in the background is a great way ease into them.

I have a lot to say about the Beethoven Quartets, but I will save most of it for later posts. I've been listening to Op. 18 mostly as background music myself, which means I've been taking them a bit for granted. The early quartets aren't as dramatic as the middle period Razumovskys or as transcendent as the late quartets but they are important and interesting works in their own right and certainly reward careful listening even if you already know them well. To reacquaint myself  I went with the Smetana Quartet

16/44 FLAC Download. Today I listened to the G major and C sharp minor quartets.

The Guarneri is one of the all time great string quartets, but their Beethoven never really worked for me. But that is my problem, the rest of the world isn't wrong.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #244 - 01/28/24 at 16:58:46

The misses went shopping. Time to move up to the family room and play Beethoven's Symphony NO.2 in D Major, OP. 36. Clouded by deafness he wrote NO.2 in the summer of 1802. First performed in April 1803 at the Theater an der Wien.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #245 - 01/28/24 at 19:18:25

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 08:58:46

...Beethoven's Symphony NO.2 in D Major, OP. 36...

I would say Beethoven's 2nd is probably his least loved symphony overall, but it is one of my favorites. I definitely prefer it to the next one. I couldn't live with just one set of Beethoven Symphonies, but if forced to I could live with three and George Szell would be one of them, and it's my favorite 2nd.

On CD.

My set of Szell Beethoven CDs, which include the piano concertos with Fleisher, is so old I can't find a picture of it.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #246 - 01/29/24 at 00:00:39

Ricci - Lalo - Symphonie Espagnole

This is a reel to reel recording I downloaded from YouTube. Sounds phenomenal!
I’m a music download pirate from way back.

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #247 - 01/29/24 at 12:37:47

Quote:
I’m a music download pirate from way back.

The tapes recorded with my Akai went with the sale. Another one of those times I wish did not happen but life GITW!

But, always a but, last years lot buy of tapes has left me with hundreds of hours of 'pirated' recordings. I listened to a couple. Sound is very good indeed. Some of those suffer from the gummy effect. Found if the tape is played that this will clean the sticky stuff from the surface which leads to the need to clean the machine after each play of the old idle tape. The second play resulted in no residue.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #248 - 01/29/24 at 16:38:03

It took me a long time to get string quartets. Not so with the piano trio, I've been hooked on them forever. The conventional wisdom is they are second to string quartets in the amount of "seriousness" the composer invests in them, whatever that means. Certainly everyone from Haydn (who wrote dozens) up thru Ravel and Rachmaninoff wrote one, and usually more than one. They are widely recorded, but I'm not sure how popular they actually are with listening public. Whatever there current popularity is, it should be higher. YMMV.

I'm not even going to call the Brahms trios one of favorites, because there are too many to pick from, but they pack plenty of Brahms's trademark tunefulness and musical sophistication. The opening theme of the 1st trio is unforgettable, but again YMMV.

DSD128 Download.

This was one of the first "super hirez" recordings I owned, and it is excellent.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #249 - 01/29/24 at 19:40:45

Listening to American composer Aaron Copland this morning.  This CD has Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic performing Copland's ballet music for Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, and Billy the Kid, and the Fanfare for the Common Man.  

I think that perhaps ballet music is more direct than other kinds of classical music (with less complex structures to wrestle with), and I find this CD easy to understand and enjoy.  

While the images that I feel when listening to music usually do not match what the "programmatic" element of the music might be, the music at the end of "Billy the Kid" (labelled as "the open prairie again") does make me think of a wide-open space in the early morning on a cold day!  I don't think of much other music that so directly (to me) seems to match the program.

While I like the "Fanfare for the Common Man," there is another version I have heard that is more stripped down and direct, which I personally prefer.  

A final thought is that this music reminds me of the soundtrack to the movie "The Natural" from the 1980s, composed by Randy Newman.  It is a movie about baseball (America's pastime), so is seems appropriate to be reminded of Aaron Copland in watching that movie.  For me, I have trouble of thinking of another movie where the music seems quite as unreplaceable as in the Natural (sorry for the slightly off-topic post in the Classical music thread, but some movie music seems very closely related to classical music).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print