Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 04:35:14 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 31850 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #250 - 01/29/24 at 21:09:44

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 11:40:45

...For me, I have trouble of thinking of another movie where the music seems quite as unreplaceable as in the Natural...

How about Star Wars (the very first one)?

On CD from the Mehta LA Phil Box.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #251 - 01/30/24 at 00:25:40

Hello, James.

A few minutes doing web searches showed me that several websites identify Star Wars as the "best soundtrack" (and did not even include the Natural in their top 50 or 75).  I still think the music in the Natural is particularly unreplaceable - which to me means that the movie would be fundamentally less compelling without Randy Newman's score, rather than a judgment of the soundtrack as music separated from the film.  I'm going to try and discuss my thoughts without giving any spoilers to those who have not seen "The Natural."

I think a starting point is the "editorial review" on Amazon by Jerry McCulley for the soundtrack, which discusses it in the context of the film:

"Randy Newman's score for director Barry Levinson's 1984 adaptation of writer Bernard Malamud's baseball fable remains, like star Robert Redford's turn as the film's Roy Hobbs, somewhat mystic and decidedly larger than life. Newman's music flawlessly fuses overwrought Wagnerian grandeur with the more plaintive strains of Aaron Copland, arguably forming one of the film's most crucial narrative elements in the bargain. Perhaps because it's a score with a scale so broad and bold--the antithesis of Newman-the-songwriter's often terse, internalized musical monologues--the composer himself has since expressed reservations about the potent cues he's since dubbed "heromusik." Nonetheless, The Natural remains an impressive tribute to Newman's musical professionalism, even if his masterful craftsmanship produced something he's always seemed a bit wary of: a bona fide crowd pleaser."

I think that the movie needed the music to convey a mythic quality to the events in the film, and without that the movie might have fallen flat (so I would disagree that the music's "scale so broad and bold" was incorrect for the film).  This mythic quality (perhaps the "Wagnerian" influence) is provided in very musical ways - for example, at times brass instruments are played very loud, where the "power" comes more from the tone of the instruments as they are played "hard," rather than from the volume.  The music is also well timed to correspond with the events on the screen for a number of dramatic moments.  And the much of the music feels consistent with a story about American baseball (the Copland influence).

That said, it is just my opinion, and I did not see too much support for my opinion on the internet! (Sorry if it is more than you were looking for with your question!)

Finally (and mercifully) for those who have seen the film, the following link to a review by Craig Lysy might be interesting:  

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/08/20/the-natural-randy-newman/

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #252 - 01/30/24 at 01:03:34

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 16:25:40

...I'm going to try and discuss my thoughts without giving any spoilers to those who have not seen "The Natural."

C'mon, who hasn't seen The Natural? Full disclosure, baseball was my game and baseball movies are kinda my thing. And, if for me, as baseball movies, I like Bull Durham and Field of Dreams a little better I completely agree with you that a big part of the success of The Natural is the music, and I think your comments are spot on. I just feel like the music in Star Wars is equally important to the epic sweep and drama of that movie, regardless of how "good" the music is as stand alone music. A throw back if you will to the "golden age" of Hollywood when the studio orchestras were every bit as important as the actors, and every bit as good as the other great orchestras of the world. But YMMV as always.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #253 - 01/30/24 at 01:29:39

OK, back on topic .

I'm heading out of town and off line for a few days so I'll sign off with a motherload of chamber music:

On CD.

The story is that since the first chair players in the Boston Symphony didn't play in the Boston Pops, the BSO brain trust though a good way to keep them busy (i.e. getting paid) in the off season would be to play chamber music. And boy, do they play. This is an outstanding collection small ensemble pieces from Mozart and Schubert to Villa-Lobos, Poulenc and Copeland and everything in between. I had a few of these (used) LPs back in the day, but they were pretty rough and didn't do the music justice. These recordings sound great and the playing is everything you'd expect from the principle players in one of the great orchestras of the world.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #254 - 01/30/24 at 01:36:32

Baseball was the love of my life as a kid.  Early precursor to jazz.  Did anyone mention the movie For the Love of the Game?  Another movie Field of Dreams, better known to me by the book Shoeless Joe by Kinsella.  Good stuff.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #255 - 02/03/24 at 21:36:49

Arnold Bax is, I guess, the next great British Symphonist after Vaughan Williams. But if he is known at all today it is for his tone poems rather than the symphonies. The symphonies are tonal and well made, but perhaps a little on the abstract side. They aren't my favorite thing on the menu, but I'll order one now and then.

On CD, Symphony no. 3. From the Naxos Bax box.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #256 - 02/04/24 at 01:51:56

The Tokyo String Quartet complete Beethoven on Harmonia Mundi is a relatively new acquisition for me, but it is quickly working its way onto the very short list of my favorites. I find the playing just a little more relaxed then their earlier set on RCA now Sony, and their sound is even more beautiful.

16/44 FLAC download.

I've been enjoying the Quartetto Serioso.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #257 - 02/04/24 at 02:05:32

Yes, I have this set on SACD. Wonderful.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #258 - 02/04/24 at 03:25:32

I saw that, but I guess I got distracted before I could comment. I wouldn't normally think of string quartets as a "demonstration disc" but I bet that sounds amazing on SACD (and your 300B amp).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #259 - 02/04/24 at 09:28:29

Well, last time I had this cycle out I listened to one disc both with the SACD layer and the cd layer into my DSD Mk II amp (which converts all PCM to DSD 64). The sound was very close between the two layers--just a great initial recording and transfer. And wonderful texture and tone. I like to rotate between the Vegh Quartet and the Tokyo Quartet--two different approaches, but both masterful.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #260 - 02/04/24 at 09:33:29

I started the morning off with this, "Duke at the Roadhouse--Roger Kellaway and Eddie Daniels Live in Santa Fe, NM"

https://pixhost.icu/avaxhome/9e/a8/0047a89e.jpg

Yesterday when I was playing this my wife Lucinda said "I like that classical music you were playing." And I though yeah, it was jazz. . . no it was classical." It's both and it's fantastic! Eddie on reeds, Roger on piano and James Holland on cello. Amazing musicianship and interpretation and recording.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #261 - 02/04/24 at 13:38:33

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #262 - 02/04/24 at 15:07:46

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 05:38:33

I'm going to need some details JB...Is that original or a reissue? are you listening to it, and if so how does it sound?

I know the very first stereo "album" RCA released was Reiner's Zarathustra on 7 1/2 IPS tape. I didn't think that was it (it is 4 track among other things) but I started googling and found this:

https://boija.com/tape/rca_2-track.htm

One of the many interesting things is the price of the original tapes, $15-19 in mid-50's dollars!?!?!?

I can only imagine the letters to the editor saying "stereo can't be real" and that "it is just the latest audiophile snake oil"

In fact Reiner recorded Zarathustra twice, once in 1954 and again in the early 60s, very close to the end of his life.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #263 - 02/04/24 at 15:34:29

This one was recorded in '62. RCA "Red Seal". Yes listened to it on a new to me Panasonic cheapie. From recall, the first side sounded very good but the player presented an issue on the second side. Some wow n flutter cause by back slap of the take up - now feed reel. Might just need tension adjusted on the feed side.. Going to check it out and kind of ruined the experience. Will give it a spin on the Otari some time in the future. Time for a bicycle ride now in sunny PA!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #264 - 02/04/24 at 16:01:15

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 07:34:29

This one was recorded in '62. RCA

Ah, that explains a lot. Most people like the earlier one, but honestly I don't hear a lot of difference.

Quote:
Time for a bicycle ride now in sunny PA!

LoL, enjoy your ride. We are currently under High Wind Warning, Coastal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch and High Surf Advisory here in "sunny" CA. I'm going to be doing a lot more listening than riding for a while...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #265 - 02/04/24 at 21:31:30

Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony seemed like a good pick for the stormy day today. Peter Maag's recording has been a classic since the day it was released.

On CD. Not just any CD but a Classic Records Gold CD (anyone remember those?). Probably the first "audiophile" CD I ever bought.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #266 - 02/05/24 at 00:38:42

Quote:
are you listening to it, and if so how does it sound?

Encapsulating! On the Otari connected from the head via pure silver into the ZP3. These tapes are virgin from the factory. Just takes over command of my senses. Very much the only one in the room with a massive assembly playing to please me.

I played Ravel "Daphne and Chloe" as a follow up, another virgin RCA RS. Sound is outstanding. Got me wondering so I followed that with Pink Floyd "Animals" one of my best sounding LPs. Very close in commanding captivity but tape has it in spades when it comes to flow.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #267 - 02/05/24 at 02:29:53

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 16:38:42

Encapsulating!

That is awesome! I've never heard a good reel-to-reel system and can only imagine how good it sounds. I don't need any more hobbies, but I can also imagine how cool it would be to have a nice deck and a bunch of the RCA Living Stereo and London ffrr tapes I would see back in the day when I was on the prowl for used records. I have no idea what kind of shape they were in but a store would typically have stacks of them in some corner for a buck or two each.

I was listening to one of my favorite CDs, not just of American music, but of anything.

On CD.

Lenny wasn't good at everything, but he was really good at this. And the early digital recording sounds better than ever on the UFO25s.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #268 - 02/05/24 at 10:58:31

Put this one on first this morning. Recorded locally in the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall of Pittsburgh using 35mm magnetic film. Not sure the significance of using 35mm film other then gimmicky. It does seem to add a bit of sharpness to the instruments.

I still have 6 more RCA Red Seal to crack open. For now, back to the CD loop for convenience being we are looking at least 2 weeks of mild climate here. Time to get the camper in place and enjoy the great outdoors!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #269 - 02/05/24 at 12:48:01

CAJames wrote on 02/04/24 at 21:31:30:
Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony seemed like a good pick for the stormy day today. Peter Maag's recording has been a classic since the day it was released.

https://i.ibb.co/pQ917LT/Men.jpg

On CD. Not just any CD but a Classic Records Gold CD (anyone remember those?). Probably the first "audiophile" CD I ever bought.

I have I think still six of those: two Ella Fitzgerald, two Sonny Rollins, a Mingus, and a Tubby Hayes. Excellent sound!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #270 - 02/05/24 at 15:01:15

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 02:58:31

...Not sure the significance of using 35mm film other then gimmicky...

Oh my. A lot of people think 35mm film is the ultimate hi rez recording media. Compared to 1/2" tape it is wider (35mm ~ 1.4"), thicker, has more oxide and sprockets to reduce wow and flutter. It is superior to tape in every way except the most important (to the record companies): it is considerably more expensive, so not sustainable as a commercial product. Obviously a lot more goes into making great recordings than just the choice of tape, but a significant number of the best sounding recordings from the "golden age of stereo" were recorded on film. A couple have been mentioned earlier in the thread, here is another one:

On CD.

Of course Reiner's Bartok recordings from the same time are justifiably famous, but Dorati was also Hungarian and knew Bartok. His recordings trade a little of Reiner's mechanical perfection for a bit more gypsy fire. And the sound is amazing.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #271 - 02/05/24 at 16:31:58

My goodness, John!  Where did you get the sealed tapes?!?!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #272 - 02/05/24 at 16:40:42

Quote:
it is considerably more expensive, so not sustainable as a commercial product

This is the reason that the very best recordings are classical and jazz recordings. The whole process is more about love and respect for the music, than about making as much money as possible.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #273 - 02/05/24 at 17:47:47

Fur sure. There are exceptions of course, like Alan Parsons, but certainly classical and jazz buyers are more likely to be serious listeners.

Here's more 35mm magnificence, a Française.

On CD.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #274 - 02/06/24 at 08:56:53

Thanks for the enlightenment James. The 35mm magnetic format was not discussed much in my circle. I do remember reading a blip about in, maybe, Popular Science back when in print and my hair was intact in the right places.

Anyway, I have another one of the 35mm masters to play yet and will see how it compares to the Red Seal RCAs. My initial thought was it seemed a bit edgey in comparison with RS.  May even perfer the latter. Might just be the material that was preferred. Will see.

Geno you really don't want to know how I grabbed these tapes. Well, let me just say "the hard way."

OK, OK, I bought this lot of a thousand albums from a guy that has an old mansion full of junk for sale. After loading the lot in my car, I went back in to look at what else might be of value in the 20 or so rooms full of stuff. Found the tapes in a third floor bedroom and another lot of albums in the dining room. Talked some with the guy but could not strike an amicable deal for the other lot of albums but told him I be back for the tapes being the car was packed with the prior sale!

A couple of days later I met up with him again. This time he agreed on my first offer for the tapes and second lot of albums together. He also informed me of another new lot of albums in the kitchen he just got in! I looked and saw a few duplicates to me and a red light flashed in my head. Stop! Stop! So I declined to even consider an offer.

Along with other acquisitions, I already had over 1700 items of media to sort thru. Some of it dirty as dirt and smell of mildew. This all happened last spring/summer. Since, I sold off 600 of the albums in 2 lots. Cleaned about 300 selected lps. Pitched about 100 or so tortured lps and now have time to root over the tapes. So, a long process that I am not sure will be repeated!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #275 - 02/06/24 at 14:20:52

Played this one this morning. Another great sounding Red Seal. From what I read Berlioz was kind of a bastard composer. Forming scores with feelings and thoughts without structured acceptance. I noticed this on side one. Then........

.....the Otari developed an issue that ruined the session. It sounded like a vinyl album with snaps at random intervals. Static electricity created with the polyester tape was discharging on the play head. Most likely weak grounds in the deck showing up with the recent weather changes is the culprit. Going to put her on the bench and shore things up!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #276 - 02/06/24 at 15:21:10

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 06:20:52

...My initial thought was it seemed a bit edgey in comparison with RS...

I totally believe you . I don't know that Brahms 2nd, but I have two other Steinberg/Pittsburg re-issues that I believe were initially on Command, and sharp or edgy would be a great way to describe them as well. Not my favorites. Just because something was recorded on film doesn't make it a great recording.

My understanding of the history is like this. Everest had the original 35mm film recorder made, and used it for some very good recordings in the late 50s. But they went out of business and Bob Fine of Mercury bought the recorder. Mercury made a dozen or so recordings on film in the early 60s and lot of them are legendary. But then Mercury broke up a few years later and Fine took the 35mm deck to Command (he may have started Command), but no one talks about those recordings. FWIW RCA did early work on 35mm film recording as well, but decided to stick with 1/2" tape.

I remember when I was a kid the Pittsburg Symphony and Andre Previn would have concerts on PBS, and my parents would let me stay up past my bed time to watch. The current Pittsburg Symphony and Manfred Honeck has been making fantastic recordings, for example.

DSD rip from SACD.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #277 - 02/06/24 at 16:06:11

Quote:
I bought this lot of a thousand albums from a guy that has an old mansion full of junk for sale. After loading the lot in my car, I went back in to look at what else might be of value in the 20 or so rooms full of stuff. Found the tapes in a third floor bedroom and another lot of albums in the dining room.

I am absolutely green with envy. This is the greatest possible score, to find such selections, AND in perfect condition!!! Some folks have all the luck!

Congrats on finding such a prize, and perfect timing too, with the new ZP3 mods. I can only imagine how great it must sound!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #278 - 02/06/24 at 17:02:00

This is my recording of the '62 Reiner Zarathustra, from the 80s.

On CD.

I hadn't listened to it in years, and now I remember why. The sound isn't very good. I bought it for Leontyne Price (the third of the Four Last Songs, Beim Schlafengehen has always been my idea of a "female vocal") and I think it is time to start shopping for a better remastering.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #279 - 02/06/24 at 23:47:24

Berlioz isn't my favorite, but I realized I hadn't listened to Symphonie Fantastique in a long time, not since I upgraded my digital front end, and certainly not since I got my UFO25s.

DSD rip from SACD.

Wow, what a great recording. This is one of the very first RCA stereo recordings, and one of its best, YMMV. I wonder if JB's tape is of Munch's later, early 60s recording.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #280 - 02/07/24 at 02:10:16

Right on James....'62. His experimenting paid off he died a happy man despite his early gloomy outlook.
My copy is bad. The static is in the tape. Played a couple others and absolutely no static! My machine is OK but certainly internally grounded very well now.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 02/07/24 at 11:12:27

After a Herb Albert tape, I chose a delightful composure created and conducted by Igor Stravinsky. This 1962 tape resurfaced fond memories in abstract ways. Wonderful!

Quote:
Some folks have all the luck!

Geno, I wish we lived closer. I'll admit the tendency to talk about wins but surely had a good share of pitfalls. Going thru a rough spell now with things. Just things... Smiley

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #282 - 02/07/24 at 15:13:50

Richard Strauss was an 19th century (musical) revolutionary who lived to be a 20th century reactionary. After crushing it with his early tone poems and operas (Don Juan, Death and Transfiguration, Salome, Rosenkavalier and many more) he pretty much coasted for the last few decades of his life writing a bunch of stuff that could be described (charitably) as "pleasant but light weight."  Then in his 80s, right before he died he rallied for one final masterpiece, Vier letzte Lieder. Four Last Songs for soprano and orchestra. They are one of the great soprano showpieces in the repertoire, and pretty much everyone has recorded them. Jessye Norman and Gundula Janowitz are popular choices, as is the classic recording with Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and George Szell. In addition to Leontyne Price I mentioned above, one of my favorites is Arleen Auger on Telarc. I find Auger's singing very touching, but clear eyed and not overly sentimental. And Telarc records the Vienna Philharmonic magnificently.

On CD.

I'm less enthusiastic about Previn's Heldenleben, YMMV.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #283 - 02/07/24 at 18:00:49

John,

I am sorry for your troubles. Sending positive thoughts your way, with hope that the negative things fade quickly.

Very best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #284 - 02/08/24 at 10:01:01

Végh Quartet "The Art Of Vegh Quartet" 14 cd box set, disc 7--the last of the Beethoven string quartets, recorded 1952.

Among my favorite interpretations of the Beethoven string quartets--the later stereo are perhaps even a bit better. The SEWE300B is showing me dynamic details that I have not experienced in this (and other recordings) before. The delicate motion of sound from soft to loud and all the minor steps in between are clearly delineated as never before.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #285 - 02/08/24 at 10:41:15

Quote:
Sending positive thoughts your way, with hope that the negative things fade quickly.

Sometimes I think that there is truth to the needle and voodoo doll scheme.

Thank you.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #286 - 02/08/24 at 10:49:32

Quote:
So, a long process that I am not sure will be repeated!

Quote of my own....hmmmm.

Well, that guy just put up an add for a lot of 8 track tapes and there is another guy selling a lot and player. Down another rabbit hole?!?!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #287 - 02/09/24 at 15:12:33

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Yesterday at 02:01:01

Végh Quartet "The Art Of Vegh Quartet" 14 cd box set

I need to get me some Vegh Quartet, both Beethoven and Bartok. In the mean time I've been listening to the Cleveland Quartet, probably my favorite string quartet if I had to pick one.

16/44 FLAC rip from CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #288 - 02/10/24 at 17:32:44

I've been listening to a lot of Leonard Bernstein lately.

Japanese Sony CD.

The Prokofiev 5th one my favorite 20th century symphonies (Prokofiev 6 is the other contender) and this is my favorite performance. Lenny does a great job mixing and matching all the different elements: the melodic, the rhythmic and the dissonant and the sound on this Japanese CD is way better than I would have guessed for a 1960s Columbia recording. FWIW his later digital recording isn't nearly as good, either musically or technically. YMMV.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #289 - 02/10/24 at 20:51:47

I don't know how JB is doing on his Beethoven symphony cycle, but I decided to move ahead to Symphony no. 3 aka Eroica.

On CD from the Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin box.

The Eroica is unquestionably one of the most important works in the symphonic tradition, and one of the most famous. But it is not one of my favorites, not by a long shot. At the time it was written it was revolutionary, never before had a work of instrumental music encompassed such a wide range of emotional (and technical) content. It changed the course of western art music, and made the symphony the vehicle of choice for a composers most elaborate, if not profound, musical thought.

But for us today, who know Brahms and Wagner, to say nothing of Mahler and Stravinsky it doesn't seem like that big a deal. I compare it to those of us, of a certain age, who were blown away when we saw the original Star Wars movie (esp. if you saw it in a high end theater). But looking back on it almost 50 (!?!?!) years later that opening scene doesn't seem very special anymore (YMMV) because time and progress has moved on.

So, while I certainly appreciate the accomplishment that is Beethoven's 3rd, for me it is about 10 minutes too long. YMMV.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #290 - 02/10/24 at 22:56:58

On point observation about the impact a piece has in its time opposed to what it has after a large amount of time has passed. I find this in comments made by persons younger and/or newer to jazz. It's fascinating to hear others' impressions now of material I have listened to for fifty or forty or thirty years or so, and their references are from listening to more current jazz pieces, truly more modern and often built on a foundation of the earlier pieces.

I always wanted to check out this cycle of the Beethoven string quartets and my Dad never had it. . .Japan just reissued this attractively priced box set of the complete Barylli Quartet recordings in the excellent UHQCD format, so I ordered it and should have it next week.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCW-9022

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #291 - 02/11/24 at 03:23:21

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 14:56:58

...I always wanted to check out this... attractively priced box set of the complete Barylli Quartet recordings...

Interesting. I (barely) know the Barylli Quartet from a recording they made of the Mozart Clarinet Quintet at the Salzburg Festival in the 50s. Since I haven't spent enough money on records lately I bought it too .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #292 - 02/11/24 at 09:23:36

Good move. I think they'll sound "all they could be."

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #293 - 02/11/24 at 10:39:51

Edited:

Quote:
Symphony no. 3 aka Eroica

It was originally titled "Buonaparte" and dedicated to Napoleon that was until Napoleon declared himself Emperor which made Beethoven ill. Shortly after he changed the dedication to Prince Karl von Lobkowitz calling it "Sinfonic eroica"(Heroic Symphony).

I listened to numbers 3&4 in the Charoit. Sound is very good and attention grabbing. The misses took a nap yesterday afternoon giving me time listening to Eroica in the Fourth Dimension(name given to the family room system). Powerful!

The name thought came with the result below pictured. I found these wall art suns and realized that the would fit well in the existing north clock wall. But as usual, I did not want to ruined the center sun by drilling a hole in his nose to mount the clock movement. Soooo this was the solution.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #294 - 02/11/24 at 11:36:09

Simmering down with Mantovani, a couple of sides were played before the misses TV started to encroach the music.

Could not find too much on "Sentimental Strings" but Mantovani was considered by some "Britain's most successful album act before the Beatles ...

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #295 - 02/11/24 at 15:31:18

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #296 - 02/11/24 at 15:34:08

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 02:39:51

...I listened to numbers 3&4 in the Charoit...

Beethoven's 3rd is as subtle as a hammer. The first movement starts with the famously unresolved "heroic cadence" and takes 15 minutes to heroically resolve it. Then the second movement is a 15 minute funeral march.  Where The Eroica shouts the 4th whispers. And for me, the 4th is the symphony where Beethoven finally figured out how to write a great post-classical symphony. It is based on two very short, simple ideas that are presented in the (unique, dreamy) opening: staccato and legato.  I've posted before that this is probably my favorite Beethoven symphony, and over that last decade or so the one I've listened to most often, although truth be told these days I typically only listen to a movement or two of a Beethoven symphony as the mood strikes me.

On CD.

Paul Kletzki and the Czech Philharmonic is one of the more under-the-radar Beethoven cycles but it is excellent. Featuring beautiful Czech string playing and spicy Eastern European winds.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #297 - 02/11/24 at 20:43:49

I saw a pretty cool quote about Gabriel Faure, that his music is never too happy or too sad. And that is right on. His music has a distinct, and unique, lilting rhythm and just moves from melody to melody. I was listening to the Cello Sonatas, and works for flute.

On CD, from the Erato Faure box.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #298 - 02/12/24 at 20:53:36

Mendelssohn gets a bad rap IMO. Everyone concedes that along with Mozart and Schubert he was one of the most miraculous child prodigies in musical history. But somehow after that he doesn't get credit for being one of the great fully formed geniuses of the Early Romantic Age. Perhaps his music, and by his music I mean e.g. The Italian Symphony and Songs Without Words, are just too popular, and too easy to listen to, to be taken seriously. I'll have more to say about that at another time, but certainly his chamber music should be taken as seriously as anyone's, and his piano trios are near or at the top of the stack.

DSD rip from SACD.

The trios (and the string quartets) are so good it is amazing the recording companies haven't made a much bigger deal out of them.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #299 - 02/13/24 at 14:59:51

I hadn't heard my third desert island recording in while.

24/96 FLAC download.

Beethoven's Missa Solemnis is simply an overwhelming piece of music. Composed at about the same time as the 9th symphony it is both fiendishly difficult and incredibly moving. There are several important recordings of it, but Bernstein's on DG is at turns melodic, mystical and magnificent. Every bit as overwhelming as the music itself. Beethoven wrote "From the heart, may it go to the heart" on the score, and for me it sure does.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print