Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 02:54:39 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 31826 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #300 - 02/13/24 at 17:57:13

Ha

427994789_280774821698988_6456612577898264126_n.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #301 - 02/13/24 at 18:20:43

This 1964 Morton Gould tape is fantastic! Demands attention. Sounding very good with the reconfigure ICs.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #302 - 02/13/24 at 18:31:20

Followed by a 1963 RCA Victor FTC-2144 Red Seal tape. Outstanding!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #303 - 02/14/24 at 15:35:27

Mozart dazzled the crown heads of Europe as a child, and as a teenager wrote a bunch of music that is nice, but pretty much no one listens to it. Schubert wrote the first great German lied when he was 16. Which is a thing, but German art song is a bit of a niche market as my dad would say. Mendelssohn wrote the Overture to A Midsummer Nights Dream when he was 17 and it is simply a great piece of music, no hedges.

On CD

There are a gazillion recordings of it, for me none better for either interpretation or sound, than Paul Paray's on Mercury.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #304 - 02/14/24 at 19:00:57

My copy of the Barylli Quartet's Beethoven String Quartet cycle arrived today.

A budget production in that it comes in a clamshell sort of box with plastic sleeves and a booklet, but the UHQCD format is handsome and the sound is quite good as far as mastering goes. The sonic character is typical of well-recorded early fifties mono, and though I wish there were a bit more "oomph" to the cello, there's little else to complain about.

So far I'd say that the interpretation is not too adventurous but plenty expressive. Will be interesting to hear the entire cycle.

I notice that Japan has also reissued a five cd set of the Mozart quartets by these gents on this label, as well as a single cd of the quintets. . . in UHQCD. I ordered those.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #305 - 02/15/24 at 15:37:07

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Yesterday at 11:00:57

...the Barylli Quartet... sonic character is typical of well-recorded early fifties mono... Mozart quartets...

It's funny, I have a bunch of Beethoven in 50s (and earlier) mono that are some of my favorite recordings. But Mozart, not so much. One thing is Mozart performance practice, esp. for chamber music, was generally a lot less interesting, YMMV. But also, for me, I just need to hear Mozart in good sound. I feel like too much of the experience is tied up in the physical beauty of the notes. So I listen to the Mozart Quartets in stereo, and one my favorites is the Talich Quartet.

On CD.

Mozart's quartets divide neatly into two eras, the first dozen or so he wrote as a teenager, to which I rarely listen. And then the last 9 that he wrote later in his life: 6 dedicated to Haydn and then the last 3 he wrote as a job interview for the King of Prussia (he didn't get the gig) that are pretty amazing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #306 - 02/15/24 at 17:04:29

I am not crazy about the Mozarts, or Mozart at all--I think I like his Wind concertos best. But I keep trying as my Dad liked him so.

Personally I find good fifties mono to sound great and especially for quartets and don't necessarily prefer stereo at all. These Winchester recordings had a good reputation at the time and the UHQCD versions of the Beethoven sound really good so I think I will enjoy the Mozart sound (I think these are one mic carefully balanced recordings).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #307 - 02/16/24 at 10:09:53

On to disc 2 of the Barylli Quartet Beethoven string quartet cycle. I did some adjustments and the sound is wonderful.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #308 - 02/16/24 at 14:57:34

My Barylli/Beethoven just landed in LA so I should get it early next week. In the mean time I've been enjoying The Hungarian Quartets 50's Beethoven cycle.

On CD.

I think the Budapest and Amadeus Quartets were a bigger thing back in the day, at least they had the better record deals. But I prefer the Hungarians to the them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #309 - 02/16/24 at 18:14:38

I have the Hungarians as well. I'll take a re-listen to them again soon. The Beethoven string quartets are probably the classical music I have the most editions of. I'm much more of a chamber guy than an orchestral guy. . . and Beethoven is my hereditary favorite.

I think you'll enjoy the Barylli.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #310 - 02/18/24 at 21:04:02

Disc 3

The Complete Beethoven String Quartets, Barylli Quartet

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #311 - 02/18/24 at 21:12:48

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: 02/15/24 at 09:04:29

...I am not crazy about Mozart at all--I think I like his Wind concertos best.

Well, that is some of the best stuff Mozart, or anyone, has ever written. He also excelled at chamber music for winds.

On CD, from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra Box.

Mozart's wind serenades, along with Dvorak's and the dozen or so masterpieces by John Philip Sousa are as good as it gets for wind music. YMMV.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #312 - 02/18/24 at 21:15:29

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 13:04:02

Disc 3

The Complete Beethoven String Quartets, Barylli Quartet]

What do you think of Die Grosse Fuge? It is a tough nut to crack, but a very rewarding one. YMMV.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #313 - 02/18/24 at 22:01:29

I'm nowhere near that piece yet. (I do love the later quartets. . . but I'm only on disc 3, playing each one twice so far before moving along. And I pulled out the Hungarian Quartet cycle to start soon too--mine is the Regis box set from 2013.)

What I do love about this set is the dynamic expressiveness of both the performance and how that is captured by the engineer. Quite captivating.

I'm just never going to love Mozart. We're all different and I just don't really connect with his music the way I do a few other classical composers.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #314 - 02/18/24 at 23:36:05

I once felt intimidated by the Grosse Fugue, but now I am ready, because I am armed by the "secret weapon" for understanding classical music - Richard Atkinson's youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQcHPhYEoJY

(thanks James, for sharing the "secret handshake" to find resources like this!)

I am hoping to start the "serious" listening to the early Beethoven quartets tomorrow - we'll see how that goes.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #315 - 02/19/24 at 15:35:24

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Yesterday at 15:36:05

I once felt intimidated by the Grosse Fugue, but now I am ready, because I am armed by the "secret weapon" for understanding classical music - Richard Atkinson's youtube videos...

He does a great job breaking down the technical details, but I'm not sure if that makes listening to it any easier. Regardless, enjoy your journey through the Beethoven Quartets, they are certainly one of my happy places.

In the mean time I'm enjoying more wind ensemble music.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #316 - 02/19/24 at 22:41:04

I've been riding out the latest atmospheric river listening to Janacek's Slavonic Mass.

16/44 FLAC download.

Janacek was the next big thing after Dvorak, although he was late bloomer. If he died at the same age as Beethoven it is unlikely he would be remember for much more than ethnomusicology, if at all. But better late than never as they say, and the Missa Glagolitic was written when he was in his 70s. And it was written, not so much for the Glory of God, as for the Glory of the Slavic People, and the Czechoslovak Republic, which was celebrating it's 10th anniversary.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #317 - 02/20/24 at 15:59:46

My Barylli/Beethoven arrived yesterday.

On CD.

The first things to which I listen when I get a new set of the 16 are the first movements of the Op. 18 No.2 in G and the 1st Rasumovsky, aka Op. 59 No. 1 (the Eroica of string quartets, YMMV). Initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive: the sound is excellent (for what it is) and the performances are "lively" in a word. My only reservation, same a Lon, is the cello is a little light.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #318 - 02/20/24 at 16:15:50

I'm glad you are digging it. I bet on my system the original vinyl will have the cello just right. . . vinyl on my system has a bit more lower frequency weight.

My two other Barylli Quartet UHQCD releases should arrive today--but it will be a while before I have time to go through them, as today is our anniversary, and tomorrow through Friday are some family event involvements to go in and out of. (Plus I have to package up and send my Taboo Mk IV in there somewhere). I have a huge backlog of listening to get through, which is a huge batch of wonderful experience ahead of me.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #319 - 02/20/24 at 16:59:36

Happy Anniversary Lon!

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 08:15:50

...I have a huge backlog of listening to get through, which is a huge batch of wonderful experience ahead of me.

I'm a little over a year into (full time) retirement, and I find myself organizing my listening priorities every morning the way I used to organize my work. Which is awesome.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #320 - 02/21/24 at 10:57:09

Yes. . . before my wife retired I was able to listen twice as much as I do now, and had time to organize my listening AND my collection. I miss that, though I do love having my wife here all the time. A new balance.

This morning I'm squeezing in some listening. After relistening to the second half of the Benny Goodman Chronogical Classics cd I spun yesterday (that Quartet and Quintet material for Columbia was just fantastic with Red Norvo, Teddy Wilson, Morey Feld and in the Quintet the amazing Slam Stewart--and the Columbia engineering was just innovative and wonderful) I am now spinning Barylli Quartet "Mozart String Quartets" Japan UHQCD. An additional viola does a lot for this music. Sound is as good as the Beethoven recordings.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #321 - 02/21/24 at 15:12:11

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 02:57:09

...Mozart String Quartets...an additional viola does a lot for this music...

A lot of people think the Mozart Quintets are better than the quartets. I don't know if I agree, but the quintets ought to be a lot better known. K 406 is an arrangement of the C# minor wind serenade. I think the original version for winds is one of the best things ever, and the string quintet is very good. K 515 and 516 are the best known, and at least for me, always reminded me of Mozart's last two symphonies: the Great G minor and the Jupiter. The symphonies are also in the same keys and consecutive Kochel numbers.

On CD.

The Grumiaux Trio + friends has always been a classic recording.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #322 - 02/22/24 at 02:36:46

And what about Mozart's Great G Minor and Jupiter Symphonies? I'm on record as saying I think the concertos are better orchestral writing, and I'd go as far as to say if it weren't for the 1st movement of the G Minor and the last movement of the Jupiter Mozart's symphonies would be thought of like his piano sonatas: nice enough, but not his best work. YMMV. But, the 40 and 41st symphonies are great works and have been recorded by almost everyone. For me I tend to like the performances from the 50s thru the 80s better than the 90s and beyond, when the so called Historically Informed Performance people took over, but YMMV.

On CD.

Bruno Walter was conducting professionally when Brahms was still alive, that is my idea of "historically informed." And he is regarded as one of the great Mozart conductors of all time. But, if forced to choose my favorite is:

Ferenc Fricsay, from his big DG box, on CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #323 - 02/22/24 at 02:47:31

If asking ME, I myself am neither a big Mozart guy, nor a big symphonic guy. And. . . I maybe don't form a lot of opinions about material I don't seek out or listen to much--except that itself IS an opinion. And in general I don't "rank" pieces, I like them and spend time with them, or I don't seek them out or repeat listen to them. I haven't listened to those pieces much and have no real favorite or real opinion.

I'm a solo piano, various trio, quartets, quintets and other ensemble chamber music guy. And 90 percent of my listening is jazz.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #324 - 02/22/24 at 17:21:03

From the Very Different From Mozart File (VDFMF).

On CD.

Mahler's Symphony of a Thousand is, I would imagine, like the Super Bowl for recording engineers. And the engineering on this CD is probably the best of the many versions I have.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #325 - 02/23/24 at 21:04:13

Beautiful music, beautifully played.

On CD.

There is a "Czech School" of string playing that is lighter and more lyrical than the German, and less emotional than the Russian or Hungarian. And the Panocha Quartet is one of the best.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #326 - 02/24/24 at 16:04:49

This is certainly one of the great accomplishments in the history of the gramophone:

On CD.

Scott Ross' pioneering recording of all 555 (!?!?!) keyboard sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti is a lot of harpsichord music, and ideally I'd probably prefer it on a modern piano. But it is magnificent music, and compared to his contemporary J.S. Bach (they were born within a year of each other) its trades some mathematical perfection for more Italianate lyricism. I've had it for several months and still haven't listened to every CD, but I like it a lot.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #327 - 02/24/24 at 21:57:04

Tchaikovsky's 5th is the first classical piece I have a distinct memory of liking. I feel like Tchaikovsky himself has gotten a bit of a bad rap from the cognoscenti, presumably because the music is so obviously likeable. But the 5th, in addition to being likeable, is at turns dark, dramatic, hauntingly beautiful and dazzling. Unlike most other symphonies I can't think of a performance I don't like. And I like this one more than most.

On CD, from the Muti/Philharmonia box.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #328 - 02/25/24 at 15:24:37

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #329 - 02/25/24 at 16:56:29

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #330 - 02/25/24 at 17:01:17

Interesting choice Geno. I was just reflecting on one of my all time favorite LPs.

Barbirolli conducting Grieg on Mercury.

Back in the day my buddy and I would take off work when the big LA used record stores would have sales and put out "the good stuff." This was before the Living Presence and Living Stereo reissues, to say nothing of advances in digital playback, so a bunch of us were always on the lookout for these classic LPs. And I scored this (it was $20, including tax, in mid-80s dollars, FWIW). It has been one of my goto demonstration discs ever since. The recording is amazing and the pressing is actually pretty good. And, possibly even more interesting, the rights were owned by a British company, so not transferred to Polygram when Mercury was bought out, and it has never been reissued on CD. In fact a little googling this morning indicates the company that owned the rights went bankrupt, assets were doled out to creditors and the prevailing wisdom is the recording will never see the light of day again.

So I got that going for me.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #331 - 02/25/24 at 20:48:30

Thanks for the recommendation, CA.  I’m always looking to add to my Living Presence collection.

I just ordered a copy on Discogs - Olympian Series - Uruguay pressing Roll Eyes

They did not list the date, but it has the old purplish label.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #332 - 02/26/24 at 18:26:40

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Yesterday at 12:48:30

...I just ordered a copy on Discogs - Olympian Series - Uruguay pressing...

Interesting. I'm unfamiliar with Uruguayan(?) pressings, and curious what you think. Olympian Series sounds like mono to me. Of course, every record collector's dream is to have their record be crazy valuable so I was a just little disappointed to see the only stereo LP going for 10 bucks.

In the mean time I've been enjoying more Grieg.

On CD, from the BIS complete Grieg piano music box.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #333 - 02/27/24 at 12:45:12

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #334 - 02/27/24 at 18:07:34

So, French music. Let's start at (or near) the beginning. The Couperins were kinda like the French Bachs, a whole family of famous and important baroque musicians. And Francois Couperin, aka Couperin le Grand, was like the French Johann Sebastian.

16/44 FLAC download.

Now French Baroque isn't everyone's cup of Bordeaux. It is much more, stylized, shall we say than the German or Italian versions. It can give off an unmistakable sense of powered wigs and courtly dances, YMMV. It isn't my favorite thing on the menu, but I'll order it once in a while and the Erato Couperin Edition is a great collection from which to choose the flavor of the day.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #335 - 02/29/24 at 18:40:48

More French. Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony were certainly in the running for The Great French Orchestra at the end of the 20th century. I've been enjoying some Ravel.

On CD from the Dutoit/Montreal box.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #336 - 03/01/24 at 20:31:51

Mrs. CA is out of the house today so I get to crank the stereo. And you can't beat Bruckner if you want to exercise the speaker cones.

DSD rip from SACDs.

I opted for the massive 8th symphony in a massive performance by Sergiu Celibidache. It is everything you want in a Bruckner symphony: dramatic, magnificent and mystical.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #337 - 03/02/24 at 01:02:56

Finally  got some time to do some critical listening with my Zen sisters.   The new gold grid matched pair of Tesla E88CC’s have woken up and it’s glorious.  The clarity and top air is great.  These tubes are fast and the detail is all there.  I’ve been sitting on these tubes for 2 years when I started the journey for the white Zen’s, and it was worth the wait.  

Currently streaming in Roon and pulled from Qobuz, is Isaac Albeniz’s Suite Espanola.   The entire piece is great, but I’m partial to track 9 “Asturias”….probably since I used to play the guitar.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #338 - 03/02/24 at 02:34:33

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #339 - 03/02/24 at 16:53:43

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Yesterday at 17:02:56

...Isaac Albeniz’s Suite Espanola.   The entire piece is great, but I’m partial to track 9 “Asturias”….probably since I used to play the guitar...

Maybe this is common knowledge but I learned it relatively recently: Albeniz didn't write any music for the guitar. His day job was as a virtuoso pianist and he mostly wrote piano music, albeit much of it inspired by Spanish Flamenco guitar. All the guitar music is arranged from the piano original.

On CD, from the BIS/Albeniz complete piano music box. And it is great piano music.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #340 - 03/02/24 at 18:33:08

Quote:
Maybe this is common knowledge but I learned it relatively recently: Albeniz didn't write any music for the guitar. His day job was as a virtuoso pianist and he mostly wrote piano music, albeit much of it inspired by Spanish Flamenco guitar. All the guitar music is arranged from the piano original.

James….I did not know that.  Interesting.  I’m going to try the album you posted.     Finishing up work soon and I have some classical music I was streaming earlier at work that I’m going to enjoy on my system when I get home.  More to come.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #341 - 03/03/24 at 18:45:35

I don't listen to a lot of Liszt, but I don't know why. Maybe because he has a reputation for "vulgarity" (whatever that means) or "shallow virtuosity" (same question) so he isn't to be taken seriously. I've been listening to the Etudes D'Execution Transcendante aka Transcendental Etudes and enjoying them a lot.

16/44 FLAC download

I have the classic recordings by Bolet and Arrau, but Alice Sara Ott is spectacular in her versions in the big DG Liszt Box.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #342 - 03/03/24 at 19:16:48

This suggested to me to pull out something I have been thinking about as I remember how delighted my father was to listen to these recordings when I got him this set--he had never heard them before.

Disc 2 at the moment.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #343 - 03/04/24 at 19:51:40

I finished listening to the Beethoven early string quartets (opus 18) performed by the Guarneri Quartet.

I enjoyed them, and that enjoyment grew as I became more familiar through multiple listens (which is the way that I usually listen to classical music).

I ended up listening to a lot of other material as part of this "project."  I listened to some of the Mozart Quartets, and thought they sounded clearly different from Beethoven (though I would be challenged to describe that difference in words).

I also listened to Beethoven's 1st and 2nd symphonies (which were written around the same time as the early quartets), and I felt like I could tell that this was the same composer.  I think the similarity to Beethoven's early symphonies might be the way that the instruments that are not carrying the melody tend to support the restatements of the melody in different ways as each movement develops.

Next up for focused listening are the middle Beethoven quarters, also by the Guarneri Quartet.

I have listened to the first quartet of Opus 59, and it already seems like these will be noticeably different from the early quartets - so lots more listening in front of me!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #344 - 03/04/24 at 20:56:43

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 11:51:40

...I have listened to the first quartet of Opus 59, and it already seems like these will be noticeably different from the early quartets - so lots more listening in front of me!

Indeed. I think you'll find the differences between the Op. 18 and Op. 59 quartets to be stark. As you might find the differences between the first two symphonies, and numbers three thru six. The earlier works are in a more "classical" style, where there is a clear harmonic and melodic structure, the different themes are (relatively) obvious and the dynamics are (relatively) restrained. The later are from Beethoven's middle, "heroic," period where there is a much greater emphasis on drama over form, relations between keys are more, unconventional in a word, and theme and variations becomes an important element.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #345 - 03/04/24 at 21:01:56

Strauss's Elektra might be very close to a perfect opera. And especially in Karl Bohm's early 60s recording.

On CD.

The music is prime early Strauss, the story is about murder, revenge and insanity and the singing, orchestral playing and recorded sound are all top shelf. Maybe best of all, Bohm's version (using Strauss's cuts) is only 100 minutes long so relatively digestible.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #346 - 03/05/24 at 18:22:07

Received my box of the Vegh Quartet playing Beethoven and Bartok.

On CD.

So far I've listened to Bartok's dreamy 2nd quartet and Beethoven's audacious (at the time) 1st Razumovsky. The Bartok is nice enough but the Beethoven is WOW. They really make the slow movement sing. I'm looking forward to more listening. Also looking forward to finding an (affordable) release of their stereo Beethoven Quartets.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #347 - 03/05/24 at 18:39:25

Yes, the Vegh Quartet is awesome. The stereo are worth seeking out.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #348 - 03/06/24 at 18:38:16

Bach didn't write operas or oratorios, he wrote Passions. But, theology aside, they are every bit an opera (or oratorio), YMMV. And perhaps more admired than actually listened to.

On CD, from the Jochum/Choral box.

The Saint Matthew Passion is a lot to digest, and I tend to spread it out over a few days. In fact, I prefer the John's passion which I find to be a little more tightly constructed.

On CD.

There are many performances of the Bach Passions out there these days, but gravitate towards the older versions rather than the more "historically informed" approach that is popular these days.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #349 - 03/09/24 at 15:39:52

Everyone knows Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, but how about his Unfinished Piano Sonata?

On CD from the Kempff/Schubert box.

Schubert left a lot of stuff, including piano sonatas, unfinished. But the two completed movements of Sonata in C D. 840 are very satisfying, just like the two surviving movements of the D. 759 symphony.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print