Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/14/24 at 02:15:08 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 35199 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #100 - 11/26/23 at 00:00:08

I bet it is fascinating. I also bet Glenn Gould is rolling over in his grave knowing people can listen to his outtakes now.

Gould's Goldberg is one of the most famous and best selling classical records of all time, and it is certainly worthy of all the hype. Less hyped is Zuzana Ruzickova, who was one of the leaders in the modern harpsichord revival after WWII.

On CD.

But I enjoy her Goldberg, and the rest of her Bach, as much as anyone's. I'm typically much more interested in the art of artists rather than the life of artists, but Ruzickova's life is hard to ignore. She lost much of the use of her hands in a concentration camp and basically taught herself to play all over again after she was liberated.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 11/26/23 at 01:00:16

I find Gould fascinating and his perfectionism and modus operandi are very interesting to hear on these discs. That said. . .I'm not a big Bach man. A little dab of him does me, this Gould series of sessions irregardless. I like these first recordings of the variations more than his later ones. I have a few other interpretations of the Variations. .. but don't seek out more.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #102 - 12/02/23 at 19:47:01

One of the first CDs I bought back in the mid-80's.

On CD.

I always get chuckle out of the warning that the CD captures the "staggering dynamics of the original performance." Esp. for a work like the Sibelius 6th that is mellow bordering on ambient. But it does sound great.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #103 - 12/03/23 at 15:23:48

There are geniuses, and there are towering geniuses... and then there are a few people who are really special. For me the short list includes Shakespeare, Rembrandt, Johnny von Neumann... and Beethoven, YMMV. His music has been special to me since I first figured out how to play my parents LPs of Toscanini and the NBC Symphony as a young child, and a little later when I would play Fur Elisa over and over and over and over on the piano...

Picking a favorite Beethoven symphony is a fools errand, but if forced to do so I would go with the 4th (the 7th is a very close second). Picking my favorite performance of the 4th is much easier.

DSD download from HDTT

Bruno Walter and the series of recordings he made late in life, mostly in LA with a pick up band of LA Phil and Hollywood studio players and mostly recorded in the American Legion Hall in Hollywood, is one of the great documents in the history of recorded music. For at least the last 40 years "historically informed performance" has been all the rage. And IMO what could possibly be more authentic than recordings made by a guy who was conducting professionally when Brahms was alive? And recorded in fine late 50s stereo.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #104 - 12/04/23 at 14:55:07

Lon wrote:

Quote:
I find Gould fascinating and his perfectionism and modus operandi are very interesting to hear on these discs. That said. . .I'm not a big Bach man. A little dab of him does me, this Gould series of sessions irregardless. I like these first recordings of the variations more than his later ones. I have a few other interpretations of the Variations. .. but don't seek out more

I find it hard to deal with Glens tempo digressions and though I understand his reason, mainly to make the work flow as a whole rather then a collection of variations for me it becomes a bit syrupy, thatīs even with out taking the humming into account, which is akin to adding drums and banjo ala Valdo de los Rios  

p.s Iīm referring to his 1981 recording

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #105 - 12/04/23 at 14:58:28

Cool. No pianist's humming has ever bothered me, and I have yet to hear a version of the Variations I really prefer to Gould's first series.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #106 - 12/04/23 at 15:03:35

Yeah well not saying I have a problem with Keith Jarret's humming just Goulds  would be interesting to compare the humming as ECM just released a recording of Jarret playing said Goldberg variations.... Grin

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 12/04/23 at 15:08:06

Must be a reissue as he did those a long time ago and he has retired from performing and recording. It's an interesting recording. . . doesn't top Gould's for me as much as I DO love Jarrett.

I'm sure there are literally dozens of great interpretations of the Variations but I have enough and am not buying classical discs these days having inherited my Dad's and without Dad don't listen to Classical as much. It was my great way to spend time with him this century til he passed.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #108 - 12/04/23 at 15:23:10

yeah is a re-issue of the 1989 recordings so has been getting some attention though itīs not very good tbh.

Funny enough my brother-inlaw just released the Goldberg variations on DG I got the double vinyl last month and have been comparing it with few others I have and reviewed a few I dont online but one does wonder how many versions of Goldberg one really needs as one would tend to pick a favourite and play that as needs arise and ignore the rest.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #109 - 12/04/23 at 15:27:30

As long as the humming is tune I'm fine with it. FWIW.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #110 - 12/04/23 at 16:00:54

Quote:
Posted by: Rap      Posted on: Today at 07:23:10

yeah is a re-issue of the 1989 recordings so has been getting some attention though itīs not very good tbh.

JMO, but I've yet to be convinced by any jazz musician trying to record classical repertoire. Benny Goodman (and more recently Eddie Daniels), Wynton Marsalis, Jarrett...they all sound like jazzers trying to play legit.

Quote:
...one does wonder how many versions of Goldberg one really needs...

I feel like a dozen, plus or minus is about right. YMMV.

I wonder how many versions of e.g. Over The Rainbow Lon has? Over a hundred?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #111 - 12/04/23 at 16:07:25

I don't have versions of "Over the Rainbow." Can't even think of one offhand in the collection. It's not a common jazz standard, not at all, and I'm not a Garland person. I know of it done in the pop realm, but I am not a pop music collector. Or listener really. Not a very well chosen example.

I don't know. . . Jarrett's classical work seems legit to me. He had the training and he took it seriously. I have most and enjoy them. Wynton for example was a celebrated classical recording artist before he recorded jazz.  I try to be neither a jazz nor classical snob. Wink

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #112 - 12/04/23 at 16:52:00

Keiths "well tempered klavier" was decent tbh. Is interesting to make comparisons of recordings and interpretations every now and then but there is just so much music out there that is interesting and too few days in a life to listen to any meaningful amount of it, well maybe if Iīm lucky and have my hearing when I retire...

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #113 - 12/04/23 at 17:23:46

Lon wrote,
Quote:
Must be a reissue as he did those a long time ago and he has retired from performing and recording

You know now Iīm home I see Im miss remembering, the recording just released is Bach but itīs Philip Emanuel, not his dad and idling minds...

I was listening on the headphones at work to someone on the radio talking about these newly released recordings from 1994 in passing.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #114 - 12/04/23 at 21:06:18

Don Quixote is probably the best thing Richard Strauss wrote, at least without singers. YMMV.

On CD.

Strauss is also one of the few German composers that Karajan does really well IMO. And he does this very well indeed.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #115 - 12/04/23 at 23:23:40

Quote:
Strauss is also one of the few German composers that Karajan does really well IMO

You donīt like his Beethoven recordings from ī63? I did like some of his Wagners too.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #116 - 12/05/23 at 01:10:00

Quote:
Posted by: Rap      Posted on: Today at 15:23:40

You donīt like his Beethoven recordings from ī63? I did like some of his Wagners too.

Let's say I dislike his early Beethoven (esp. the mono cycle with the Philharmonia) considerably less than the later remakes, but I can (and do) live without any of it. His Wagner (I know Tristan and The Ring) is interesting, but of course Wagner is only one exit up the road from Strauss, at least IMO.

For me where Karajan really shines is Sibelius, Tchaikovsky and some other Russians.

On CD.

This is my favorite set of the Tchaikovsky Big 3, and by a pretty wide margin.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #117 - 12/05/23 at 03:16:14

This is another HvK does "German" that I really like.

On CD.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #118 - 12/05/23 at 03:39:05

If thatīs the same one as this one in different cover...

Itīs one of the best recordings I have..

If not youīll like this one, the transcription of Verklarte Nacht for full orchestra is something else..

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #119 - 12/05/23 at 15:17:11

Quote:
Posted by: Rap      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:39:05

If thatīs the same one as this one in different cover...Itīs one of the best recordings I have..

Indeed. I think mine is the 3 disc set from which yours was extracted. Of course if you're talking 2nd Viennese School you have to mention:

On CD. One of the best recordings I have and it sounds better than ever on the UFO25s.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #120 - 12/05/23 at 16:30:20

Quote:
Indeed. I think mine is the 3 disc set from which yours was extracted

mine is a cd re-issue from 1985 of the original 1974 vinyl release. Would be more accurate to say you have it in compilation...  :)

Iīve not looked for the vinyl anything from that time on vinyl from  Deutsche Grammophon is thin sounding on even thinner vinyl...

Interesting spin-back to earlier conversation though is that Schoenberg uses the motive B flat A, C, B or as notated in German B-A-C-H through the work.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #121 - 12/05/23 at 19:28:48

Quote:
Posted by: Rap      Posted on: Today at 08:30:20

...Would be more accurate to say you have it in compilation...  :)

Fair enough .

How about more Second Viennese School, 12 tone music for people that don't like 12 tone music.

On CD.

I'm not a big fan of the 12 tone, but the Berg concerto is 12 tone with training wheels. That should not be confused with more expressionistic, atonal music, a lot of which I really enjoy.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #122 - 12/05/23 at 23:09:05

Heavy stuff CAJames,

Is interesting connection with Mahler with that one though but reminds me of the soundtrack to a horror-movie...  ;D

Think Iīll stick with Bach for now, itīs late and been a long one.

Double CD with suits 1-6

image hoster

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #123 - 12/17/23 at 19:08:32

OK, back from our European vacation and nice to hear my system again. For a quiet morning of coffee and jet lag I choose:

16/44 FLAC Download.

Lovely in every way.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #124 - 12/18/23 at 17:25:40

As we were talking about HVK and his Teutonic failings or victoryīs depending on where one stands I looked through the Beethoven section at the record store and picked up two of his fabled 1963 recordings on DG

those thick strings make up for lack of dynamics, but then thatīs the price of these on vinyl as DG likeīd to stuff each side of the LP with too much content and the sound suffered as a consequence...

No wonder HVK was consulted over the size of the "new" Cd and we have him and Beethoven to thank for the size of the medium chosen to be able to hold the 9th symphony.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #125 - 12/18/23 at 18:27:29

Yeah, that DG vinyl is no prize, that's for sure. I'm glad I don't live in a world where I'm limited to a single Beethoven symphony cycle, but if I did this would probably be it:

DSD rip from Tower Japan SACD.

This was the first stereo cycle the Berlin Phil recorded (Walter Legge banished HvK to London to record Beethoven with the Philharmonia) and at this point the orchestra is still as much Furtwangler's as it is Karajan's. Solid early stereo sound and IMO a goldilocks interpretation that balances passion, lyricism, truth and beauty just right.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #126 - 12/18/23 at 20:43:06

To right, nothing is as dead as definitive. They good recordings will have bits one likes that differ from on to the other.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #127 - 12/19/23 at 10:52:44

Jordi Savall "Marin Marais -- Pieces for Viol: Selections from the Five Books" SACD box set, disc 2

I'm a big fan of Savall and the viol de gamba and should play his discs more often. Great sound on this box set.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #128 - 12/20/23 at 15:26:52

Quote:
Posted by: Rap      Posted on: 12/18/23 at 12:43:06

...nothing is as dead as definitive...

So true. But there are a few performances that the conventional wisdom (at least) would like to think of as definitive. And Arthur Rubenstein's Chopin is certainly on that short list. Most people think of the Chopin he recorded for RCA Living Stereo, but I like his early recordings better.

16/44 FLAC downloads.

FYI/FWIW I prefer Ivan Moravec's Chopin.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #129 - 12/20/23 at 15:53:18

Nice, not heard those, I looked them up on youtube (what convenient times we live in)

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #130 - 12/20/23 at 20:51:23

Expressionistic opera for a rainy day.

16/44 FLAC download.

Another (potentially) definitive performance, although the repertoire is a bit more niche, shall we say.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #131 - 12/21/23 at 19:03:17

"The Cello in Wartime" BIS SACD

As the centenaries of various events of the First World War are being commemorated, we are reminded of the great battles and the large-scale suffering. To imagine what day-to-day life may have been like in the trenches in Flanders is more difficult, however, 100 years later and with no living survivors of the war to bear witness. Poems and paintings can give us some idea – but, as this disc from Steven Isserlis proves, so can music! The main, more conventional section of the programme is a selection of cello works composed around the time of the war, by composers from three of the countries involved in it: France, Britain and Austria.

This is followed by something rather more unusual, however, as Isserlis exchanges his ‘Marquis de Corberon’ Stradivarius for an instrument that was once played and heard in the trenches of Ypres. Harold Triggs, the owner of this so-called ‘trench cello’, brought it with him to Flanders from England – other soldiers, on both sides of the conflict, constructed their own violins, cellos or flutes on site, from ammunition boxes, pipes and whatever else they could get hold of. These instruments thus become a highly moving testimony to every man’s need for beauty and solace and joy, even in the middle of a battlefield. With the delicate support of Connie Shih on the piano (and in fact even pianos could be found in the trenches, even if not concert grands!), Isserlis and his trench cello transport us, for a brief moment, to a trench near Ypres during a quiet spell between skirmishes, with soldiers resting, writing home, playing cards – and with the help of the music dreaming of a life elsewhere.

https://bis.eclassical.com/performers/isserlis-steven/the-cello-in-wartime.html

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #132 - 12/22/23 at 00:22:00

Chamber music for a rainy day.

16/44 FLAC download.

I used to dis most French composures, mostly I guess because they weren't Brahms. Fortunately I've come to my senses because they wrote a lot of really great (and greatly listenable) music like this.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #133 - 12/22/23 at 13:41:09

At my wife's request, Christmas music, on the living room system. One of the few choral albums I have and like.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #134 - 12/22/23 at 14:37:36

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #135 - 12/22/23 at 15:12:47

I'm a big fan of choral music, and it is esp. popular this time of year.

On CD. A great collection of both the sacred and profane, with plenty of Christmas carols. Once in Royal David's City is a personal favorite, it always gives me goosebumps.

Also, FYI/FTR, while I hesitate to call any recording "definitive" there is one that is absolutely, positively definitive.

The Robert Shaw Choral singing Christmas music is as good as it can possibly be. JMO, but if you disagree with me you're crazy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #136 - 12/22/23 at 15:34:06

I'm crazy. I don't even want to hear those. . . choral music is not my cup of tea, nor is Xmas music.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #137 - 12/22/23 at 15:49:07

That's fine, you'd only be crazy if you thought other recordings were better.

Happy Holidays regardless Lon. I look forward to another year of posts and discussion from/with you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #138 - 12/22/23 at 15:55:19

Happy holidays. I guess I just had too many choir recitals, practices etc. in church over the years (I'm a minister's son). One of my brothers is still in a choir and a darned good soloist. It was never something I enjoyed myself.

Merry Christmas James!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #139 - 12/22/23 at 17:51:50

That's classical music alright Rap! Duke with Pops and All Stars!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 12/22/23 at 19:39:43

CAJames:

As I am going through a brief nostalgia tour through Christmas music from my childhood, I have reached Robert Shaw Chorale, "Joy to the World" (I think from 1958).  This was in heavy rotation on the family record changer, so lots of memories of this one!  This was the one recording we had of choral music.

By the way, I am enjoying reading about classical music in this thread.  It also took me a while to warm up to the French composers, but I have been enjoying a lot of Debussy recently.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #141 - 12/23/23 at 15:48:54

More Christmas choral music.

On CD.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #142 - 12/24/23 at 07:15:41

No xmass without Bach
Sorry about the Ellington one Posting from phone and didn't notice I was in wrong thread...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #143 - 12/24/23 at 19:21:30

No Xmas without The Messiah either.

On CD.

For me Mozart's arrangement of Handel's Messiah is just about the best thing ever. An intoxicating cocktail of the The Bible and Don Giovanni. YMMV.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #144 - 12/25/23 at 16:20:47

Playing this now. . . now it's officially Xmas. . . my Dad played this many seasons of our lives. This was his seasonal music. He even packed this to take to Africa with us and then back home again six years later.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #145 - 12/27/23 at 16:01:18

Back to Bach.

On CD.

Quiet music for a quiet morning.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #146 - 12/28/23 at 02:36:55

In the 40 or so years I've been a serious record collector Mahler has gone from the Lunatic Fringe to Main Stream to (probably) way over done. Today, you can shake the trees and Mahler cycles fall out, and honestly the world doesn't need it all. But great Mahler is always worthwhile, and this is IMO great, if almost entirely under the radar, Mahler.

On CD.

There are a lot of conductors who would like to be know as "Mahler conductors." I don't know if Jesus Lopez-Cobos is one of them, I feel like he would be happy just to be known at all. But the Mahler recordings he made with the Cincinnati Symphony and recorded on Telarc I would put up there with Lenny, and James Levine and Klaus Tennstedt as the most consistently stratifying I own, and I own a lot. YMMV. The performances are straight forward, but not a all straight laced. Mahler wrote all the smaltz and emotion you need into the score. And the sound is remarkable (esp. with my UFO25s), it is thrilling both in its loudness and quietness. This is one of the best sounding orchestra recordings I've ever heard. One that sounds even better than live, because live acoustics aren't this good.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #147 - 12/29/23 at 18:06:56

Was Victor Herbert the 19th century Leonard Bernstein? He was a composer, conductor, performer and all-around musical polymath. He was born in Ireland but worked in the USA, and allegedly his E Minor Cello Concerto inspired Dvorak to write his (rather more famous) concerto.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #148 - 12/30/23 at 15:53:51

Things I wonder about: Were the best recordings Herbert von Karajan's Berlin Philharmonic made conducted by someone besides HvK? This is a condender:

DSD Rip from Tower Japan SACDs.

Dvorak's 6th Symphony, conducted by Rafeal Kubelik.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #149 - 12/30/23 at 16:16:06

Things I wonder about: Were the best recordings Herbert von Karajan's Berlin Philharmonic made conducted by someone besides HvK?

Good morning CA,

I cannot tell you how many times I have thought the exact same thing! Smiley

BTW, I have been expanding my musical interest into the classical stuff, last night I listened to your Franz Schubert.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Happy New Year CA, and to Everyone,
Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print