Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 06:54:55 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 36131 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #150 - 12/30/23 at 17:04:51

Thanks Tony, and Happy New Year to you, and everyone else as well.

This has been a fun project, and l look forward to lots of posts in 2024.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #151 - 01/03/24 at 02:24:12

Music so warm and lush you can have it for dessert.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #152 - 01/03/24 at 21:25:16

Mozart's piano concertos are among the best stuff he, or anyone, has ever written, YMMV. And like potato chips, I can't stop at just one.

On CD.

The last few days I've been binging several of Alfred Brendel's performances, with typically unobjectionable accompaniment from the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. Brendel's might not be the most "personal" of the Mozart Concerto cycles out there, but then Mozart's work has plenty of personality already written in.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 01/03/24 at 22:45:35

Listening to some music composed by Stravinsky on Philips Classics CD (probably originally released on the Everest label), which includes performances from the late 1950s of (1) the Ebony Concerto; (2) Symphony in Three Movements; and (3) Petrouchka.

The Ebony Concerto is performed by Woody Herman and his Orchestra.  Seems like this was probably something different both for Stravinsky and for Woody Herman.  The other pieces are performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Sir Eugene Goossens.  The symphony apparently uses some movie music that Stravinsky had been composing.  

I find this music to be pretty accessible, presumably being closer to older traditional approaches to classical music than some of Stravinsky's other work.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #154 - 01/04/24 at 02:03:50

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 14:45:35
Listening to some music composed by Stravinsky on Philips Classics CD (probably originally released on the Everest label)...

Yes. I don't know why Everest doesn't have the same reputation as e.g. RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence because a lot of it sounds spectacular.

On CD.

I got this CD used for a couple of bucks many years ago and was blown away by both the sound and the performance. Now the Everest catalog is available for streaming or downloads.

Quote:
...I find this music to be pretty accessible, presumably being closer to older traditional approaches to classical music than some of Stravinsky's other work...

A lot of Stravinsky is actually pretty accessible. Petrouchka is the second of the three works he wrote for Sergei Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes at the very beginning of his career. Sandwiched between Firebird (also very accessible) and Rite of Spring (which is a tough nut to crack). The Symphony in 3 Movements is from his middle, neo-classical period that also includes Pulcinella and my favorite Stravinsky piece, Symphony of Psalms. Funny story, it was written on a commission from Serge Koussevitzky. Stravinsky dedicated the piece to "the glory of God and the Boston Symphony." And Koussevitzky never forgave Stravinsky for giving the orchestra second billing.

On CD. For me it is one of the great pieces of "sacred" music, not just of the 20th Century but of all time. YMMV. And the Czech Philharmonic and (especially) Chorus really play the bejesus out of it.

I didn't think I liked (most) Stravinsky for a long time, but he finally clicked a few years ago. I'm still not crazy about Rite of Spring, but in my world Stravinsky is gaining on Prokofiev and Bartok as my favorite 20th century composers.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 01/04/24 at 03:34:28

Hi, CAJames.

I agree that some Stravinsky IS a tough nut to crack.  The CD I was listening to is music I heard as a kid, and liked it immediately.  I have recently been listening more broadly to Stravinsky, and find much of it "harder going."  However, I often need to hear classical music several times before I can really decide if I "get it" or not, so I am still in that process for most of his music!  I appreciate your thoughts, and the Symphony of Psalms may be one of the early items I particularly need to revisit.

Bartok is another 20th century composer that I have heard a little of, and generally like what I hear.  Taking a quick look at my CDs, one is a 1962 performance of Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta" by the Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert Von Karajan on EMI Records.  For Prokofiev, I have listened to the symphonies one time (Prokofiev, Complete Symphonies by the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Walter Weller, on DECCA CD box set) and I will need to listen to this music a few more times to see if I can better appreciate it.

The other Everest recordings I remember were some of the Beethoven symphonies (I believe Joseph Krips conducting the London Symphony Orchestra), which also immediately grabbed me (which is probably pretty common!).  I have always been particularly partial to the 6th symphony, and particularly the first movement (as you say, just my opinion and YMMV), but all of it is great.

By the way, I am enjoying this thread that you started.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #156 - 01/04/24 at 19:45:42

2021 was the 50th anniversary of Stravinsky's passing. The kind of anniversary that record companies celebrate by releasing box sets, like Leonard Bernstein's recordings for CBS/Sony

On CD.

Lenny was good at a lot of stuff, and he was particularly good at Stravinsky. In fact this box went a long way to improving my overall appreciation, not to mention familiarity, with and for Stravinsky.

Today I listened to Oedipus rex, which is Stravinsky's riff on Opera Seria, the somewhat archaic form that Mozart famously described as "people so lofty they shit marble" in Amadeus. It is from the beginning of Stravinsky's neo-classical period, so it isn't dissonant, but I would call it abstract, and more about rhythm and sonority than about melody. It is pretty unique, and it took a couple of listenings before it clicked. But now I'm sold on it and think it is one of Stravinsky's most original and interesting pieces. YMMV.

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:34:28

...By the way, I am enjoying this thread that you started.

Thanks. I am too!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #157 - 01/05/24 at 01:11:08

One more Stravinsky.

DSD rip from SACD.

The "filler" on the famous RCA Chicago Symphony Scheherazade SACD is Stravinsky's Song of the Nightingale, which just happens to be one of the great virtuoso orchestral showpieces in the repertoire. And Reiner and the Chicago Symphony play it with the aplomb that is fully consistent with their reputation. Also, for a 60+ year old recording the sound is simply jaw-dropping. More about Scheherazade at a later date.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #158 - 01/05/24 at 18:55:02

Home for a few days and made some changes.  Switched out my Zens to the Torii that is now hooked up to my Err’s.  Replaced my tired GL KT66 and  moved to the GL KT77’s.  

This is the first time I’m hearing the KT77’s in my system.  Even though they are breaking in, I can say  that I don’t foresee me ever going back to the KT66’s.  Needless to say I am playing all genres of music to test out the new tubes.  I’m enjoying the tone in the upper register that the KT77’s are bringing out.  More to come.

For now I am enjoying Stravinsky’s work that popped up as a recommendation in Roon.  Just looked back and saw CAJames CD of Stravinsky with Bernstein.  Going to switch over and give that a listen.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #159 - 01/06/24 at 01:47:21

Interesting choice Dom. I'll admit I don't know the Stravinsky Violin Concerto, I don't think I even have a recording of it. The great Russian 20th century violin concerto(s) I do know are by Prokofiev.

16/44 FLAC download.

Generally violin isn't my thing, but I know enough to know that Gil Shaham is one of, perhaps the great violinist of the late 20th/early 21st century.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #160 - 01/06/24 at 02:58:24

James,

The Stravinsky violin concerto was surprisingly very good.  I am familiar Prokofiev but don’t listen to a lot of violin in general.  I enjoy the cello way more.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #161 - 01/06/24 at 17:22:28

Found it! In my other Stravinsky box:

On CD.

The violin concerto is delightful, I might call it Stravinsky for people who don't think they like Stravinsky.

Quote:
...I enjoy the cello way more.

I think virtually everyone (except maybe violin players) does. But it is hard to write for solo cello because its sound tends to get swallowed up by the orchestra. One of my favorite cello forward pieces is the Prokofiev Symphony Concerto. It is one of his very late works, after that always perceptive music critic Joseph Stalin spanked him for "formalism" and "abandoning the basic principles of classical music" or some such silliness.  It was written for the young Mstislav Rostropovich and has been slowly leaking into the standard repertoire.

On CD.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 01/06/24 at 21:03:16

I also found the Stravinsky Violin Concerto in my box set (conducted by Stravinsky, and with Issac Stern as violinist).  

The starting chord on the first three movements is pretty striking.  I looked up the composition on Wikepedia, and I wonder if that opening chord is what Stravinsky called the "passport to the concerto."  Per Wikipedia, the violinist that the work was commissioned for (Samuel Dushkin) initially thought the chord was unplayable ("to Stravinsky's disappointment"), but found it to be easy to play once he tried it.

Just some "color" for the discussion!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #163 - 01/07/24 at 00:54:21

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 13:03:16

I also found the Stravinsky Violin Concerto in my box set (conducted by Stravinsky, and with Issac Stern as violinist)...  

Leonard Bernstein is on record saying Stravinsky is a great composer and a terrible conductor, and I agree. I think one of the reasons it took me so long to warm up to him is that much of the Stravinsky I heard when I was young was conducted by the composer. YMMV

Back to the cello. The best cello lick in the repertoire, which is also the best opening theme of any symphony is Bruckner's 7th. JMO, but again you'd be crazy to disagree. I love Bruckner and have many, many recordings but overall my favorite (at least in stereo) is Eugen Jochum and the Dresden Staatskapelle.

On CD, from the Jochum on Warner Icon box. Which also has the best Brahms symphonies and really good Beethoven.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #164 - 01/07/24 at 22:45:01

Extra fancy piano playing:

DSD rip from SACD.

Georges Cziffra plays Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies. They don't make them like this anymore.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #165 - 01/07/24 at 22:56:43

I have that SACD, should dig it out to listen to again soon. Those in that SACD series sound pretty darned good!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #166 - 01/07/24 at 23:48:45

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 14:56:43

...Those in that SACD series sound pretty darned good!

Indeed. I have one other, Bruckner. I kept thinking I should get more but never did...and then they were gone.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #167 - 01/09/24 at 13:04:37

After the incredible beauty of Magos Herrera's "Aire" I moved on to the graceful, measured and well-recorded music of Marin Marais interpreted by Jordi Savall in this five SACD box set, disc 4. I love the sound of the viola da gamba.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #168 - 01/09/24 at 13:16:24

Regarding the EMI SACD sets, I have three others and there are some affordable copies available via discogs.com

https://www.discogs.com/label/758522-Signature-Collection

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #169 - 01/09/24 at 16:47:09

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 05:04:37

...I love the sound of the viola da gamba.

You say the sound of the viola da gamba like there is just one. I recall vividly many years ago as "authentic" instruments and the viola da gamba in particular became more popular. And I was shocked how, I like to say "bovine", a lot of the VdGs sounded. Like driving by a dairy farm. I think over time the sound has come much closer to a modern cello (which is why there are a lot more cellos the VdGs today IMO). I suspect that is due more to changes in e.g. strings and technique rather than the instruments themselves, but that is a only speculation.

Good viola da gamba is very beautiful. The viola da gamba sonatas and esp. the 5th cello suite, which I think was written for a special type of viola da gamba, in my Complete Bach Edition

On CD

Are very nice indeed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #170 - 01/09/24 at 16:51:21

I'm not a big Bach person.

I actually studied the development of the gambas a few years ago. I'm aware of differences. I have actually heard a few different artists with differing gambas and own cds of others and have to say that I do llke the sound of those I have heard. The ones I've encountered performed and recorded are not bad sounding. What intrigues me most about them are the fact that they are fretted.

I have about 20 discs featuring gamba music. . . that's probably enough for me for some time!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #171 - 01/09/24 at 21:08:23

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 08:51:21

I'm not a big Bach person.

Any Bach or just Johann Sebastian? I was looking around for more viola de gamba music and started listening to some of the harpsichord concertos of W.F. Bach

16/44 FLAC download.

Which clearly have some VdGs in the continuo. Very different from his dad's work, and maybe a little more lightweight, but very easy on the ears.

Quote:
...I actually studied the development of the gambas a few years ago...

Very interesting, have you played one?

I know a music professor who more or less specializes in gambas and he has a large collection of instruments. He works at an very small, obscure college in Ohio where my buddy is a physics professor but he also plays the oboe they play together. I used the bovine line with him (not about his playing, which sounds great) and he kinda agreed but we haven't really discussed the topic in depth.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #172 - 01/09/24 at 22:13:25

I listen more to post Bach(s) music. Bach's music just has rarely "reached" me. Maybe I was too heavily influenced by its absence in my father's collection, other than the cello pieces he was not too interested.

No I haven't played one. I do know a musician in Austin who has one, I have seen several other performances, and maybe I am lucky but none of those that I have heard are "bovine" sounding in any way. I perhaps have not heard real period ones. Which is okay.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #173 - 01/10/24 at 03:21:10

Another Bach, more viola da gamba.

On CD.

I hadn't heard CPE Bach's viola da gamba sonatas until today, and they are pretty amazing. Also very different from dad, the movements vary between intensely lyrical and wildly virtuosic. The playing is phenomenal, but the VdG sound is, not exactly bovine, but does have a hint of the barnyard.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #174 - 01/11/24 at 00:04:30

My other EMI Classic SACD:

DSD rip from SACD.

I haven't listened to this recording in years. Not since before I discovered Decware and was still spinning physical SACDs. It sounds way better now. Way way better.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #175 - 01/11/24 at 21:21:58

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto is a warhorse's warhorse. And I love it to death.

On CD.

Pretty much everyone records it, but my favorite is Byron Janis. And the 60+ year old sound is as good as anything recorded today.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #176 - 01/13/24 at 00:56:02

Trying to expose my daughter to more classical music.  This one is good because it’s more mainstream.  Currently streaming this in Roon that was pulled from Qobuz.  

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #177 - 01/13/24 at 01:38:13

Dom, it took me a second to track down the playlist but it looks really good. Definitely a lot of greatest hits. A couple of pieces really grabbed my attention because they are some of my all time favorites. One of them is Smetana's Moldau aka Vltava. I have several recordings (not the one on the playlist however) and my favorite is Ferenc Fricsay and the Berlin Phil. Another candidate for "Best recordings made my the Berlin Philharmonic while Herbert von Karajan was in charge." YMMV.

DSD rip from Tower Japan SACD.

Fricsay is one of my all time favorite conductors, who unfortunately died too soon. He made a bunch of recordings, but only a handful in stereo, and fortunately this is one of them.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #178 - 01/13/24 at 03:22:26

James…yes it’s really good.  Lot of favorites on here and of course Swan Lake and the Night of Bald Mountain always stands out.  Going to give Ferenc Fricsay’s album listen tomorrow.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #179 - 01/13/24 at 20:27:18

A recent acquisition.

On CD.

I like this very much. I don't want to say I actually prefer Uchida to Brendel or Perahia, both of whom I have lived with for decades, but she plays with a lot more energy, and I hesitate to say personality, but she definitely has a more bravura attitude than the others. And the English Chamber Orchestra plays with a ton of style.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #180 - 01/14/24 at 03:19:28

Beethoven's Cello Sonatas are divided across his 3 periods. 1 and 2 from the early "classical" period, 3 from the middle "heroic" and 4 and 5 from the late "introspective." The cello is a peculiar solo instrument because its sound tends to get swallowed up by e.g. an orchestra or modern grand piano. So the recording studio is often better than a live concert in this regard. I was listening to my favorite cellist, Janos Starker play Sonatas 2 and 3 from the Warner Icon box.

On CD.

This is a great collection of (mostly) standard repertoire and some encores or bon-bons.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #181 - 01/14/24 at 21:57:43

A holiday favorite that I overlooked playing for my daughter until today….Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker” performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker.  Definitely a classic that she really enjoyed.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #182 - 01/15/24 at 16:19:10

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Yesterday at 13:57:43

….Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker” performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker.  

The Nutcracker is so ubiquitous it is almost hard for me to think of it as "classical" music, although it most certainly is.

I'm curious what your daughter thinks of classical music at this point? Its funny to me that in popular culture it seems like it is usually the woman who drags her man to the symphony or ballet, but in my experience girls were more interested in going to a ballgame than the symphony with me. They would go, but more as an opportunity to get dressed up and go out to dinner rather than for the music. But I digress...

I don't necessarily recommend Bruckner as "classical music for people who don't think they like classical music" although I was hooked on it the first time I heard it.

DSD rip of Sony Japan SACDs.

And even among Bruckner fans Sergiu Celibidache is pretty far out there. He is (in)famous for taking agonizingly slow tempos, which I think works for him in Bruckner, but pretty much no where else.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #183 - 01/15/24 at 18:07:01

Good morning, James. I searched "Sergiu Celibidache Bruckner" and found many recordings, but not the one you pictured. I find that happens sometimes and must reflect the large number of recordings of a given piece that are in existence.

Sometimes, I need clarification on the titles - the nomenclatures used. It reminds me of the Dewey Decimal System. Smiley

What, for example, is meant by No. 8 or No. 4, etc? Some recordings seem to include only some of No.s, while other recordings include different ones? What's that about? Shouldn't all the "No.s" be included in one recording for a complete symphony?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #184 - 01/15/24 at 18:37:17

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 10:07:01

Good morning, James. I searched "Sergiu Celibidache Bruckner" and found many recordings, but not the one you pictured.

Hi Tony. Often the Japanese remasterings (like this one) are only available on physical media. I looked for it on the places I usually get downloads and it isn't available, so I bought it on Amazon from a seller in Japan. I can't play SACDs anymore (long story) so I rip them and play the files. That also saves shelf space.

Quote:
What, for example, is meant by No. 8 or No. 4, etc? Some recordings seem to include only some of No.s, while other recordings include different ones? What's that about? Shouldn't all the "No.s" be included in one recording for a complete symphony?

Good question, and the answer depends on the context, but generally each is in fact a complete work. In some cases "No.s" can refer to complete symphonies or sonatas or concertos. E.g. Bruckner symphonies No.6-8 (out of 9 total). Or Mozart Piano Concertos No. 23 and 25 (out of 27 total). Or a grouping of similar works: Rachmaninov's Preludes No.s 3,6,12 and 18 (out of many he wrote over his lifetime). Or, it can refer to the numbers used when a work is published. Each published "work" is given an Opus number, but if several similar works are published together they can be given the same Opus and identified by Number. For example Beethoven published his 3 Razumovsky Quartets as Opus 59. No.s 1-3, but they are No.s 7-9 of his 16 total string quartet output.

HTH.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #185 - 01/15/24 at 19:41:17

Quote:
I'm curious what your daughter thinks of classical music at this point? Its funny to me that in popular culture it seems like it is usually the woman who drags her man to the symphony or ballet, but in my experience girls were more interested in going to a ballgame than the symphony with me. They would go, but more as an opportunity to get dressed up and go out to dinner rather than for the music. But I digress...

James….my daughter is in the 7th grade but she sees the benefit.  She has watched me study for my promotional exam listening to classical music, and I’ve caught her studying in her room listening to harp music.  I played the guitar growing up through college, and played in a wedding band for a short time,  so music was always apart of me.  We had the harpist  play at my wedding, and believe it or not my daughter want to learn the harpsichord.  She had met our harpist 2 years ago when she performed at the church,  and was very intrigued.  I don’t want to push her too hard just yet, because it’s a difficult instrument to learn and I want it to come naturally.  I go back and forth between Jazz and Classical in the house, so we really all enjoy it.

Dom

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #186 - 01/16/24 at 00:58:28

That's cool Dom. 7th grade was when I got serious about music, playing in band every day. And I met some of my best friends to this day there.  I started playing in youth orchestra around 9th grade. My parents insisted on me taking piano lessons before that, but that wasn't really my thing. I think playing more than one note at time  was too confusing, and if you play the piano they sort of expect you to be able to sing.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #187 - 01/16/24 at 02:43:37

James….she had taken piano lessons a few years ago and really liked it…then one day while at lessons her piano teacher called her stupid.  Needless to say I had a few choice words and pulled her from the lessons.  She does take signing lessons, and performs in a theatre group that she loves, so we are grateful that she has the drive without us pushing her.  We shall see what happens as time goes on, but it looks promising.

Dom

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #188 - 01/16/24 at 15:15:24

Bartok, like Prokofiev, was a virtuoso pianist and also like Prokofiev his piano concertos are among the most difficult ever written. His first and second can be a little offputting on the first or second hearings, although they are very rewarding. The third however is both rewarding and very accessible, and should be much more popular than it is. In general pianists won't record them unless they are "all in" so most of the recordings are very good.

On CD.

Probably my favorite is Geza Anda and Ferenc Fricsay, from the big Fricsay box.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #189 - 01/16/24 at 16:14:29

Good morning James! Hope things are good in your world.

This frigid morning in the deep south, it’s the Ravel String Quartet…

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222/Zbit
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #190 - 01/16/24 at 17:18:34

More Ravel. Piano concerto in G major.

I love the French Romantic/impressionists. Ravel, Debussy, Saint-Saens, Faure, etc. Just can’t get enough.

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #191 - 01/16/24 at 17:52:32

Hey Geno, hope you're hunkered down and keeping warm.

Quote:
...love the French Romantic/impressionists. Ravel, Debussy, Saint-Saens, Faure, etc. Just can’t get enough.

Me too. I keep meaning to post about the Ravel/Debussy string quartets but haven't gotten around to it, until now. There are a lot of ways to play them, which is one reason I never get tired of listening to them. One of my favorites is the 1950's Julliard, in great Living Stereo Sound. I would call their interpretation "icy hot."

On CD. From the Julliard RCA Box.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #192 - 01/16/24 at 18:13:14

Quote:
On CD. From the Julliard RCA Box.

Very cool box set!!!

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #193 - 01/16/24 at 19:04:08

Plus Ravel. Ravel was probably the greatest arranger/orchestrator who ever lived. ICYMI his orchestration of Pictures at an Exhibition is what virtually everyone knows as "Pictures at an Exhibition." And much of his orchestral music was originally written for piano as well. You can argue that it is better as orchestral music, but it is certainly interesting (at least) to listen to the original piano versions.

On CD.

This box might be (almost) all the Ravel you need.  Samson Francois is one of the great interpreters of the French repertoire.  And Andre Cluytens is one of my favorite Beethoven and Wagner conductors, but was best known for French composers.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #194 - 01/17/24 at 03:21:51

Of course no discussion of 20th century piano concertos would be complete without Gershwin. Ravel was a big fan and so am I.

DSD rip from SACD.

The fact that Rhapsody in Blue has the best clarinet part ever written has (almost) nothing to do with my enthusiasm.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #195 - 01/17/24 at 11:38:29

I grew up with Gershwin, along with Beethoven my Dad's favorite. His passing still hurts me, I have avoided listening to his favorites as much as I can still.

This is a two disc set, one Blu-ray Audio, one SACD. I can't play the Blu-ray Audio in my system at the moment, though it sounds fantastic. (2L stuff always does). The SACD also sounds fantastic and is in play right now. There is Beethoven here. . . I'm toughing it out. Some great Schubert as well.

Oslo String Quartet "Minor Major" 2L SACD

https://www.2l.no/pages/album/135.html

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 01/17/24 at 12:42:47

I plan on going thru the Beethoven anniversary box set with the new second system. Actually this thread along with another post sparked me to patch the system together strictly for classical music.
The box set still needs cleaned. Played box IX fist album yesterday for a test and was impressed on how well it sounded in the family room!

Cheers!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #197 - 01/17/24 at 15:01:34

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 04:42:47

I plan on going thru the Beethoven anniversary box set with the new second system...

Which Beethoven anniversary box set do you have? If you are talking about the blue Deutsche Grammophon Beethoven Bicentennial Edition:

I have a lot of fond memories of those records, although I don't have any of them any more. I didn't have the complete set, but I bought up several volumes for cheap in the 80's when everyone else was selling off their LPs.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 01/17/24 at 18:01:14

Yes, CAJames, that is the set. Found the complete box set last spring in very good condition. It is the US pressing I believe. Some say that the German one is better.

Interesting how this all came about. Last winter I posted on this forum how should my remaining 2023 audio budget be spent. You and a couple others said spend it on music. Took that idea and went wild purchasing tapes, 78s, and vinyl. Ended up with over 1500 pieces. Even spent some of this years audio mad money on equipment to play it on. Then.....I was updating the family room with memorabilia of 2023's acquisitions....a thread was posted titled "another new system"....the coffee table looked bare and the thought came that it needed a table book....hmmmmm....the Beethoven box set has a nice table book, the entertainment center in the family room is void a TV, there should be enough equipment idle around here to patch a system in that space. Soooooo....$200 and two days -wala a new system is born to play classical muse.

Thanks all!
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #199 - 01/17/24 at 19:31:30

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 10:01:14

....hmmmmm....the Beethoven box set has a nice table book...

I've had that book next to my listening chair for 30+ years.

Glad the suggestion worked out for you, JB.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print