Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
300B Tubes (Read 18279 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: 300B Tubes
Reply #100 - 09/07/23 at 19:13:47

Thx Lon!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 09/08/23 at 02:20:10

The last time I talked to Don he was undergoing some serious medical treatments. It’s not my story to tell, but I would be surprised if he would be at Decfest, although I could be wrong. If he doesn’t respond immediately be patient with him. My thoughts go out to him and wish him the best.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 09/08/23 at 03:36:25

Thx for the heads up Gilf. I wish him as well and will inquire about his health when I reach out.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 09/10/23 at 05:45:15

We exchanged emails. Thankfully, he’s on the mend and planning to drive down next month to meet the fellow crazies. And he’s bringing goodies (more details on the Decfest thread)!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 10/24/23 at 15:24:08

I still have a long way to go. Sitting in the high 500's on The List(TM).

I fell in love with the EML 5u4g Mesh plate. It is the sound I want. It's also a super sexy looking tube.

EML makes a few different versions of the 300b one of them is a mesh plate version. It was designed for low anode dissipation.Is this tube is compatible with the Sarah 300B?

It has a recommended anode dissipation of 22 watts and a maximum of 28 watts.

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B-mesh.html

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B-mesh-final.html

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #105 - 10/24/23 at 20:35:55

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 07:24:08

...EML makes a few different versions of the 300b one of them is a mesh plate version. It was designed for low anode dissipation.Is this tube is compatible with the Sarah 300B?

Based on the last post I saw from Steve Sarah is at 28 watts and change. So, I guess the question is do you feel lucky? Of course contacting Steve would remove the guesswork.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 10/25/23 at 14:51:39

Quote:
Based on the last post I saw from Steve Sarah is at 28 watts and change. So, I guess the question is do you feel lucky? Of course contacting Steve would remove the guesswork.

Thank you. I guess when it gets closer to shipping I'll reach out to Steve and see what he says.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 10/26/23 at 21:32:18

Well shortly after I turned the amp on Monday one of my Sophia Electric Classic 300B went silent except for a hum. Didn't take out a fuse or impact the amp in any way, but I was down to one channel listening. I brought out the headphones. . . .

I contacted Sophia Electric and as I had a demo pair that was not offered with any warranty (at a big discount) I was out of luck. I figured these were demo tubes and should last longer than . . . 700 hours but that is about what I got out of that tube. They offered to try to match another tube for me at the same price (half the price of the pair) and I may take them up on that but that was going to take time and damnit I wanted to listen to music. I have a pair of Cryotone 300B-WC on order but on inquiry I can't expect those til they maybe ship next week. So. . . I ordered a rather inexpensive pair of Psvane 300B HIFI tubes, I think their lowest model.

Those arrived today and I'm listening to them now. Honestly they sound decent. Not quite as good as the Sophia Electric so far but they're also not broken in and I'm so eager to listen to speakers that I am cutting them some serious slack. Ah. I'm listening to the amp again, and that's certain happiness.

I'm looking forward to testing the Cryotone 300B-WC. If they don't knock my socks off I'll return them and order a pair of WE300B. But I think from what I have read from Steve, et al here that I'll be happy with them.

Til then I think that for about 260 a matched pair the Psvane HIFI are a good backup pair.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #108 - 10/27/23 at 00:18:21

I'm sorry for your loss Lon. For me, my inexpensive 300B tubes sounded fine. I probably would have been happy with them...until I tried really good 300Bs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 10/27/23 at 00:22:11

I hear you. The Classic 300Bs sounded really good. These sound fine for now. Time to hear another pair. . . in a week or two.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 10/27/23 at 11:11:59

Lon, Sorry about the Sophia. It's been my experience that Psvane tubes sound very underwhelming when new, but really sound great once they reach their break-in point...so much so that there's no mistaking when they are or aren't broken in, lol.

And yes, I too go through serious withdrawal symptoms when I'm unable to listen to my Sarah... Smiley Pretty sure there's a support group for us somewhere..."I'm Michael, and I'm a Sarahholic".

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #111 - 10/27/23 at 11:53:59

LOL! Well, I'm liking the sound of these Psvane right now, so if they improve that's great. (Of course with the ZBIT and the ZROCK2 I can make mediocre sound become much nicer, man I love these components.)

I actually enjoyed the headphone use. I put my trusty old CSP3 into the system that Steve built with a glass resistor bypassing the input gain section and with the full Anniversary mods--with the Sennheiser HD800S and the ZROCK2 this makes fantastic sound that transports me. But I was eager to get the SEWE300B going again, it's a special amp, it has really seduced me. My wife likes it too, more than any other amp I've played the last 9 years we've been together. . . but she's a bit jealous of how it pulls me off to listen.

I think Steve will be building and building these. They're going to call to many.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #112 - 11/18/23 at 01:33:30

So now I have the Cryotone 300B-WC broken in and also a pair of Takatsuki 300B to check out thanks to James.

Both are excellent tubes. . . my untreated room and system seems to prefer the Cryotone as though I don't find it has the extra bass that others report, it has more than the Japanese tubes and it has a density that I had grown so used to with my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

Oddly I think the best tubes for my system may have been the Sophia Electric 300B Classic, but one failed so early that I haven't sought another pair. Those had an extra richness that suited my less than stellar recordings (the bulke of my big collection) more, a bit more forgiving and warm.

I have decided that I like the Cryotone tubes now, those three that came with the CSP3 that I bought from JOMAN are as good as my nicest 7308s, and I'm breaking in Cryotones for the ZROCK2 and the input position of the SEWE300B that are showing promise. I started off wtih the 6SN7 and that seems a mistake as that Cryotone pair I could not get to work in my main system, and the Cryotone 5AR4 I got with the CSP3 from JOMAN I didn't like at all either. I'm waiting on a pair of the same in the CSP3 for the driver tubes on the SEWE300B to see how that compares to the 7308s I'm using there.

Overall I'm truly enjoying the SEWE300B with whatever tube complement I use--it's a fantastic amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print