Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 07:55:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sarah 300B Sound Signature (Read 1574 times)
AlanM
Verified Member

Sarah 300B Sound Signature
08/22/23 at 18:56:01

Hi,
I am new here.
I am considering the Sarah 300B amp but I want to make sure that it will be significantly different from what I get from my Primaluna EVO 300i with EL34 tubes. I like the Primaluna because it is an all-around good amp with what I see as a more modern tube sound.
However, I wish it was more "tubey" when it comes to midrange and especially vocals. I want more of that sweetness and forward sounding vocals.
Unfortunately, I do not have a way to audition the Sarah 300B to see if it will do what I expect.
However, my hope is that the 300B tubes might deliver what I am looking for (as an "upgrade" to the EL34) especially if the Sarah 300B is closer to a vintage tube amp than more modern tube amps that sound a lot like Solid State amp.

I would appreciate your insight about Decware sound signature and whether adding the Sarah 300B (I am not replacing my Primaluna Amp) will meet my desire for tubey vocals.

I am aware that we all have different tastes and sensitivities but I need to start somewhere and asking those with experience with Decware amps and especially the Sarah 300B is a good place to start.

Thanks

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Sarah 300B Sound Signature
Reply #1 - 08/22/23 at 21:30:01

I don't have any direct experience with the Sarah 300B amp, but I think it is fair to say that the Decware "house sound" is on the "modern" side: fast, transparent and liquid rather than lush and tubey. But there are lots of options for input tubes, VR tubes and rectifiers, in addition to the choice of 300B tubes, that give you the flexibility to fine tune the sound to your liking. And of course you could get a pre-amp and/or ZRock that can have a big impact on the sound as well. If you haven't already read it I would encourage you to read the DECWARE 300B Amp development thread in this forum.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393

That has a lot more detailed information in it. There are also some YouTube reviews.

One other technical consideration is, are you aware of the waiting list? If you were to place your order today the wait would likely be something like 4 years for delivery.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/22/23 at 21:41:39

To be honest what you seem to want with a 300B amp you can get with one. . . but the SEWE300B from Decware, which I have had for a month and a bit more now, may not be the one you want.

I've been rolling all kinds of tubes in the amp (every position except the 300B which I don't have other pairs of) and it is definitely a modern amp such as Decware delivers. You can get it to be a tiny bit lush. . . but not the way that other tube amps are described.

It's a fantastic amp--with clarity and accuracy and speed of detail and a crisp tonal balance. And. . . there's a long waiting list.

You may love it--but I'm not sure it will have a big difference in its general nature to the modern tube sounding amp you have.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/23 at 23:54:06

Alan,

Another consideration I have for you is to seriously think about attending Decware’s annual Decfest in October.  I too, was somewhat in your shoes, prior to attending last years Decfest.  During the two days of listening to the amp with different speakers, I was sold.  The investment of time and money is not insignificant—which is why I wanted to know for myself and Decfest allowed me the perfect opportunity to do that.

Food for thought and good luck with your search.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/23 at 10:19:51

"Rich tubey sound"...no, sorry.

If what you're looking for is amazingly accurate, perfectly weighted, dense and realistic midrange, with equally perfect bass and treble, all with immense clarity and detail...that is what the Decware 300B will provide.

Yes, 300B tubes will give you more of the characteristic "tubey" sound than EL34's. I've listened to a PrimaLuna 400, and I believe the Sarah is a clearly better amp...but that doesn't mean it will provide you with the sound you are looking for.

From your description, it seems you may just need the ZRock2 (or 3 version when it's released), which will allow you to dial-in a weightier bass and more "traditional" tube sound.

I echo the recommendation to go to Decfest to hear the Sarah SEWE300B in person...I believe you will fall in love with the sound and prefer it no matter what sound you're chasing right now.

Or, simply order it now. You won't be disappointed. And in the remote likelihood you don't like the amp, you will be able to sell it quickly without losing much if any money. And, while you're waiting, get a ZRock too and refine your sound.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 08/23/23 at 10:57:34

I played a few cds and LPs released by a few of my favorite vocalists (Betty Carter, Jack Teagarden, Cassandra Wilson) and paid special attention to how the SEWE300B reproduces the vocals.

As both James and Ghost noted "Accuracy" is in my opinion the key word to describe how the vocals are presented. This does give the vocal a real sense of body and a "reality" presented as a by product of the accurate timing of the musical flow. I don't doubt that you would really enjoy the unfolding of the vocals. I was particularly impressed at how the scat vocals of the wonderful Betty Carter were portrayed with rhythmic drive and clear "enunciation". . . They have never sounded better.

There seem divergent ways to implement the circuitry around the 300B tube and 300B amps can sound quite different one to another as a result. I don't have a lot of experience with 300B amps--I heard a Cary amp and a Cary integrated amp in the early and late 'nineties and I remembe each having a "thicker" sound overall. But neither was in my own system, and each was with quite different sources than I use myself--one a really nice turntable, the other an older designed cd player. I do remember the sound of vocals in the 1959 EICO stereo integrated amp I used to own--they did sound denser, darker than what I hear from the SEWE300B, and I certainly enjoyed that presentation for years. But I'd not go back to that from the accurate and natural sound from the SEWE300B.

The suggestion to go to Decfest is a good one if you can (I never have). It's so hard to describe audio--one's own ears don't confuse as a friend of mine has said of the spoken word, it applies to musical playback as well. The danger is falling in love with the sound, and waiting years to have a component in your home. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/23/23 at 16:25:39

The Decware "house sound" is like mushrooms.  Some people love it and some people don't get it.  I've had several Decware amps, pre-amps, and sold all of them except for an old, old Blue Torii which just seems to be one of the oddest amps Decware has ever produced.  Today, I have a Cary SLI-80 which from what I've read online is one of the most lush amps for sale these days.  

Your best bet is to get a listen to one of these amps.  They are solid, reputable pieces of equipment, but you have to hear for yourself if they tickle your fancy.

By the way, get a ZROCK2.  Just do it.  You won't regret it.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/23/23 at 19:32:26

Agree with nearly all points above…..especially the suggestion to get a ZROCK2.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print