Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 22:18:40 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ultimate for tube rollers- External tube rectifier (Read 20056 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Re: Ultimate for tube rollers- External tube rectifier
Reply #50 - 08/26/22 at 02:49:46

Will, I don’t have much to share on the external tube rectifier topic but thanks for sharing those photos.
This is the first time I’m seeing inside one of these amps and gosh the layout and symmetry is just gorgeous. I mean, that central ground bus running straight down the center from the power in….  Every part laid out for a reason…. Just wow.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/26/22 at 05:37:19

Manny,

Not wanting to sidetrack this thread, with more about my experiments except for the ideas I was trying to look at in relation to adding things (like the Super Rectifiers or Steve's pre stages, or parts and cables), and the relativity of "purest" design and effects. And I have been hoping to make some threads with in depth info on modifications I have done, but it has just always seemed like a lot to take on, having been working on the Torii MKIV, CSP3, ZRock2, and HR-1s, and lots of parts testing. But people seem to want to see and talk about it, so I will try to get it moving over the next month or two if I can. Relative to your appreciation of the beauty of Steve's designs, I agree, and guessing you have seen tbe Sarah development thread and pics since you have one on order. But also there are more you may want to check out for some more recent design versions incorporating some of Steve's recent refinements, the SE84UFO25, and I think there was one on the CSP325... also the Torii MK5 development thread is a beauty.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #52 - 08/26/22 at 08:34:27

Quote:
Sorry, I can't figure out how to make these pics fit right. Any tips?
Will at the bottom of the page there is a link right LOAD PICTURES HERE that opens up to IMGBB a hosting website upload your pictures there once you upload your picture a drop-down menu appears go on that drop-down menu to BB code linked medium thumbnail or large most pictures medium is the right size if you don’t see medium take the thumbnail because large is too big for most pictures On this bulletin board I hope that helps

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 08/26/22 at 14:32:36

Thanks BicycleJoe Lo-Fi. Good to know how those IMGBB thumbnail sizes actually work on this forum... I am used to the thought of thumbnail as quite little#$%^&*()

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 08/26/22 at 15:03:42

Will. So as not to be too overwhelming, due to your concise nature, make a list of the mods in a timeline order. Then in subsequent follow up posts, describe the rationale for adding those changes and the results. That way you’re writing about a mod or 2 at a time and not the whole process. You can then start the next post with why you weren’t 100% satisfied with x, y and z. Might be less daunting that’s all. I’m writing this just to help encourage you to do it because I love hearing you guys discuss these things. Anyway, have a great day and start your outline!

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 08/26/22 at 17:31:21

Will, my comment about the circuit beauty as it relates to the super rectifier topic is that [to me] if I had this beautiful circuit topology as part of my system, that system would be purposefully to showcase that circuit, and adding any additional components to this system would have to compliment the initial circuit, in fidelity, symmetry, and beauty. My point being, throwing the question to the community of how the super rectifier might compliment or detract from each of these things?
I’d love to learn from your experiences with your mods in a separate thread too.
Cheers.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 08/26/22 at 17:57:23

Thanks for the simplifying tips Earthbound. Having "a book" of notes before I just started taking pics and relying on memory from pics for sonic reminders, it would be pretty difficult to do as much explanation as you suggest, part-by-part. But a broader set of impressions with a good outline might be pretty doable. Thanks! Your suggestions help!

Manny, I am with you. When I 1st saw Steve's amps and website I figured I would love his amps, in part because he pays so much attention to simple but intersting design on the outside, pointing to similar care and simplicity of design for making music too. And luckily it worked out that way. I also appreciate your ideas of fine circuit design potentially being core, and all else needing to match quality or enhance it.

I would love to hear one of these simpler Super Rectifiers, guessing from his write-ups and pics, the guy listens and has experimented with interesting and innovative areas.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 08/28/22 at 15:16:00

It is interesting to note that very expensive NOS or very expensive new production tubes ($500 - $2000 a pr. for example) aren’t necessary at all in these devices. For example Shuguang or Psvane entry level 211, 805, 845, or 300B (a custom adapter from Space-Tech @ $200 is required for a 300B) will fit the bill. You’d need to spend 5x that much to get about 10-20% improvement from that.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #58 - 08/28/22 at 20:53:44

^ Valid point!

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 08/28/22 at 22:11:36

Paul2 wrote on 08/28/22 at 20:53:44:
^ Valid point!

Yes, the builder does seem to have quite a bit of knowledge about these tube types so he may be right about these price points. I myself have zero knowledge with a lot of the four pin types he mentions. . . but if I had one of these I'd be experimenting. Still. . . I wonder how compatible they are to Steve's components (I sure am tired of blowing fuses in the underside of the chassis) and at present I would need two of these external rectifiers--not the easiest situation to afford right now.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 08/28/22 at 22:18:47

Well ya know.  While your waiting for the Sarah he sells a 300b amp with the super rectifier built in for under 5K.  It would be a good way to build your tube compliment and you shouldn't really lose too much over the year to year and a half wait.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 08/28/22 at 22:38:14

Well, I didn't understand the post at first but I think I do now. No, I don't want to buy an amp from him while waiting for Steve's. I'm perfectly content waiting with my excellent Monoblocks, and I want Steve's take on the 300B, very much.  And I'm theorizing I won't have an additional year or year and a half to wait--just my gut telling me, but I think the new measures Steve has put into place with production and will put into place going forward, and the fact that some will not wait the full length and drop off the list will mean a shorter wait than that. We'll see.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 08/29/22 at 00:20:48

If one has mono blocks or a dual mono amp, the idea of thinking one has to to go the 2x expense of buying 2 of these units isn’t necessary.

Options:

1. Order a 2 tube configuration in one chassis. Will be somewhat less than buying 2 units.

2. Order the single tube gig and link it to a preamp instead. This way, you’ll get 80% of the impact vs. links to the amp(s).

If I decide to try this device, I’m going with option 2 on a STR-1001 with choke on/off switch for $250 more.

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 08/29/22 at 00:32:57

That's possibly an okay plan though my preamp in the main system (ZTPRE) does not have a tube rectifier.

I'm not trying one of these without checking with Steve and if I do it will be after I receive the Sarah. And I may not have the cash then.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 08/29/22 at 01:30:31

Checking with Steve on these is critical. Maybe he can be convinced to give a couple of the units a whirl. Possibly even a collaboration between the companies could be forged, similar to Wathen Cryotone…..but that’s getting too far ahead. Space-Tech Lab seems on the surface to be a very serious outfit nonetheless.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 08/29/22 at 12:05:56

My impression is this guy is an idiot and possibly a scammer.  there is nothing magical about 'external" tube rectification.  If he wants to market it as "upgraded" rectification, then he might have to share his design concepts, and WHY it is better, which he doesn't seem to do.  But wait 60 seconds or you can't play in his treehouse.  Huh????  

I'll let Steve Deckert design my power supplies over this idiot all week long.  Steve uses tube rectification in a lot of his designs.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #66 - 08/29/22 at 12:43:29

Thank you, I’m 100% with you. This guy is selling the Emperor’s new clothing.
Makes me wonder about all the authorities here on the Decware forum advising other people what they should do with their money.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 08/29/22 at 12:53:06

I think differently, less harshly. I think there may well be something to his design, and find it intriguing. I've no set plan to purchase one especially without confirming compatibility with Steve's designs, nor am I advising or "telling" anyone to purchase one and what to do with their audio funds.

Steve sells ZSTAGES and ZBITS and other "accessory" devices too. And this outfit seems to have a similarity to Decware in philosophy of design and manufacture, I certainly don't think he's a charlaton or fraud.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #68 - 08/29/22 at 13:20:40

Good morning Lon there is a cohesiveness and common thread to all of Steve’s designs even in his push poll amplification. I also believe that the audio fidelity business is full of hyper bole and straight out intentional doublespeak to baffle and confuse.   There are many mysteries in the world but electronics is no longer one of them. In every Decware copy description of an amplifier Steve does explain his thought process surrounding his design execution and why available upgrades make a difference. He also clearly states that unless you have a certain quality source or room treatment having 25th anniversary upgrades won’t mean much. That’s not upselling, that is educating his clients so they can experience the full potential of the fruits of his labor. True he surrounds the forum development copy with subjective adjectives describing his orgasmic reaction to every nuanced perceived improvement. But that’s because he’s one of us, an audiophile, a hi-fi nut, a fanatic truly chasing the best sound he can develop and deliver from a handful of  vacuum tubes, resistors, caps and wires. It’s how he expresses himself while in the throes of ecstasy from one of his listening sessions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 08/29/22 at 13:31:56

Well, I'm sorry but I don't agree with this fully. Steve is not free from hyperbole and salesmanship. Some things that he has been espousing I don't share the enthusiasm for, such as Cryotone tubes, and somethings he says I don't agree with such as there's no need for Anniversary mods if you have an untreated room (if in fact he has said that) --I have untreated rooms and hear clear and strong improvements having added them to several components, knowing the "before" intimately.

The fact that this guy is not filling his website up with "papers" and lots of personal statements doesn't make him a "snake oil" peddler to me, and I can see a design philosophy and knowledge in his designs that can be considered impressive.

Like Decware until the last few years there is no stockpile of independent reviews to read about his work, nor does he have a forum to house owner impressions--I suspect his resources are even slimmer than our favorite builder's and he dedicates his time elsewhere.

I see a similar cohesion and common thread throughout his products to the extent that is true for the Decware line. Personally I see no evidence that he is not an audiophile as we are. I can certainly see the potential advantage of a "super rectifier" using power tubes, and that could be a potent innovation if implemented properly. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, just as I did Steve many years ago.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #70 - 08/29/22 at 13:42:13

Won’t mean much is the wrong phrase I was careless with that but reach its full potential would be the correct phrase, I am definitely paraphrasing. Steve might not of said it in the same thread at the same time. I will say in both instances I am paraphrasing him. Yes I feel the same way about the cryonic process.  I have for years. My opinion on Steve’s enthusiasm  about cryo is you can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all the people all the time. I think Steve sending in his whole personal SE 84 UFO in for cryo- demonstrates his belief in its efficacy is genuine.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 08/29/22 at 13:45:56

I'm not doubting its efficacy, I was buying cryotreated tubes and the interconnects I love long before Steve got enthusiastic and before Wathen got into the biz. I just don't get the same improvements and feel as enthusiastic from the two tube types that I did try and don't feel inclined to try more from the Cryotone lineup. I could not describe my impressions the way that Steve has his.

I think both these builders have more in common than not and there's room for me to admire the philosophy and work of both, and also to be very loyal to Steve, having had my audio life vastly improved by his work for 25 years.

You know over the years I've encountered a lot of resistance to Steve's hyperbolic talk and his "ecstatic" writings about the sound of his equipment and seen persons turn away from considering Decware because of it--Space-Tech may be sparing himself some grief and not turning away customers by being less of a "personality" on his pages. But that doesn't mean that he isn't as excited about his own design discoveries and products--reading between lines I seem to sense this.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #72 - 08/29/22 at 14:41:14

Well then I am looking forward to hearing the opinion of someone in possession of the hardware that we both believe can be objective in their criticism.

What really put me off was the range of prices from 1K to close to 4K for components to essentially accomplish identical tasks. That’s when it got a little slippery for me. It might be justifiable,IDK.

Maybe you could write to him and ask for one of his builds for an extended period of time to evaluate for a possible review on the Decware forum. Explain how long your relationship with Decware goes and that you are strictly a consumer not a manufacturer. I know I would be eager to hear your first hand opinion.

PS my only problem with cryo-is I do not believe it provides any benefits through a vacuum tube. It has been proven beyond a doubt that it does have a effect on interconnects, cables and other bare metals.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 08/29/22 at 15:42:37

By the same token look how many versions of the Zen amp Steve has, and how many options you can add to his products that bring them up to high price points as well. I think you may be being too harsh on Space-Tech with little real backing.

The biggest difference I see between his business and Steve's is that Steve spent about 30 years building an online presence including a forum that took a few decades to really flower and it's these customer reviews that have generated a lot of interest and business and also forced him somewhat to interact with customers less ephemerally than by telephone and far more publicly than by telephone or email. And this gives you more trust in his products. Understandably, but in a way Space-Tech is thus damned with little real reason other than a lack of information. Also Steve seems to have more family members and employees as a resource than he does, though it's hard to say with little information. It's like a glass half full, half empty--I think we're looking at it differently that way because his website is not jam-packed with info the way that Steve's has become.

No, I'm not going to try to review his product, that's not my bag and time becomes even more limited for such things as the months go by--my time is being pledged to other things by my wife lately.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 08/29/22 at 17:59:00

Quote:
My impression is this guy is an idiot and possibly a scammer.  there is nothing magical about 'external" tube rectification.  If he wants to market it as "upgraded" rectification, then he might have to share his design concepts, and WHY it is better, which he doesn't seem to do.  But wait 60 seconds or you can't play in his treehouse.  Huh????  

I'll let Steve Deckert design my power supplies over this idiot all week long.  Steve uses tube rectification in a lot of his designs.

Jerry

Jerry, with all due respect this is surprising, coming from you. Maybe give him a call and talk tech in depth? Let us know how it went.

Thank you, Brad

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 08/29/22 at 22:26:21

BicycleJoe,

Just wondering since you reference your gear as a Rachel, ZP3, and ZLC on order, have you ever listened to Decware personally?And have you ever done listening comparisons of cyro'd tubes compared to the same make of non-cryo'd and relatively close measuring tubes?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #76 - 08/29/22 at 23:03:53

Quote:
Posted by: Carlsbad      Posted on: Today at 12:05:56
My impression is this guy is an idiot and possibly a scammer.

Well I bought a 300B amp from him and my impression is that he is neither. He is a bit of a mad scientist, at least over email, but he is technically top shelf. The amp shipped today and in a couple of weeks I'll let you know for sure.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 08/29/22 at 23:22:47

CA, that sounds exciting. Your Scottish heritage took a bit of a hit Smiley.

Yes, please do give us your impressions. That may be just enough for me to try the STR-1001 Super Rectifier a bit sooner than the plan to shelve it for some time.

Along with an 805a (and 300B with S-Tech custom adapter for 200 slaps in the face) I’m also very intrigued to try the monster mercury vapor 872a due to its exceptional air, however it would need toned down a tad on the bright end with a bit of tuning.

I did email Steve today and asked for some off-the-cuff thoughts in this thread.

Brad

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #78 - 08/29/22 at 23:34:04

Will no I haven’t listened to Decware Personally yet,  I have reached out in New York City but have not found someone local willing to share. I am buying on faith and a deep understanding of Steve’s design philosophy, multiple reviews, and customer raves about the SE 84 UFO. As far as cryo tubes my experience is limited to guitar amplifiers and the opinion of JJ Who I believe is the supplier of the re-branded cryo-tone tubes as well as Brent Jesse, vintage tube services and many others.

The science is not there that cryo-tone or a cryo-genic treatment can pierce the veil of a glass enveloped vacuum. As far as with cables and interconnect and other bare metal parts yes I have heard the difference.   But in those cases I would also say that changing any cables has a direct effect on your SQ. There are cryogenically treated wooden electric guitars on the W website.

Now Some people have put forth that they are physicists and electronic engineers and they feel cryo-genic treatment of tubes improved their sound considerably, while I do not have any of those documents on paper I spent 10 years working on F15’s avionics systems and their computer test stations with digital, microwave and computer test system doing in-depth fault isolation and repair on the avionics systems plus the associated test equipment maintenance.

I even repaired and made new cables for these test stations and the interconnects to the flight units. Have you ever seen a heads up display? I am one of the persons who upgraded HUD’s to fiber optics and canopy projection. I have more than a passing acquaintance with electronics in both theory and in practice.  

My previous system was high end consumer-electronics from 1984 when I was in the Air Force active duty a Carver solid-state receiver, the JVC QLY 66F turntable and JBL 240 TI speakers. I am presently using a Rega solid-state amplifier and phono preamp with that turntable and those speakers. While I’m not comparing myself to your level of modification, I have built point to point flying lead amplifiers and I have built many many guitars. I also can read a white paper but there is no scientific documentation of any improvement on an electronic vacuum tube post cryo-genic treatment other than subjective review. I did see Steve’s scope test showing the difference in the noise floor but I remain unconvinced.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 08/30/22 at 03:08:28

Sounds like you have had intersting experiences with electronics. I can not claim to be an engineer, more an explorer based on minimal tech to help get me where I am trying to go, and very serious listening. In this, I have found many engineer views notably inadequate compared to what I hear, so presume that much of the "science" that causes these engineer's "beliefs" is inadequate also. And when engineers can't hear something many of us can based on their belief system, this implies to me that "technical" bias is overwhelming unbiased observation in many cases. I find it really an amazing presumption that our analysis at this state of development with standard measuring gear can be considered complete compared to what we perceive with our bodies and minds.

So I don't mistrust scientific theory or practice perse, but human desire can turn anything real into modified reality that is believable enough to appear to be real without carefully looking (delusion), and therefore create permeating bias in the thoughts and efforts of humans. It seems to me that just the money part commonly corrupts scientific practice, limited funds defining the need for studies to prioritize this or that, and only go to certain levels of investigation, while whatever ends up not prioritized leaves the picture incomplete.

And this goes for the opinions of others for me, even at times those who I highly respect and trust, like Steve. Though Steve remains profoundly instrumental in enhancing my life, bringing realer musical experiences to my home, and I continue to learn from his explorations and discernment, I have found some of his comments and opinions over many years to appear to me to be based a little more in bias than what I have experienced with some of the same stuff in listening tests. But also we each have our own objectives within our systems and rooms and the development of the system/rooms reflect that...so one system may make some things clearer than other systems and visa versa, and this has influence on our opinions of what is real.

So even with pretty deep agreement, we all have different objectives, experience, perceptions, and time allowed for each area of our investigations. For me this makes it difficult to make any strongish remarks without qualifications and explanations of where the remarks are coming from, especially since there are so many variables in systems, rooms, and each person's perception and consciousness. I guess the end of that, is that some of us with really worked out system/rooms and long practice in discernment, have strong agreement about a lot of the many balances we hear that combined make the music realer. But finally, on the whole, most of us are not "measuring" the qualities of gear equally, even in direct experience, and though a given piece of gear, or tube, or cable does carry relatively repeatable traits, apparently it will not sound the same everywhere and to everyone.

Further, I personally have to qualify even more deeply if I have no personal experience with something, though occasionally I will point to the opinions of trusted musical friends and teachers, folks who I know from agreement over and over that they have extensive experience and hear the broader and more nuanced pictures of music pretty articulately. But as my system and skills evolve, I just can't be absolute on most things even with listening experience, knowing the vast variables from everything influencing everything. I can love a proven part change in the system that is one of hundreds of parts, or not, depending on context. And each adopted part changes that context.

So mostly I am much more comfortable talking about my own experience and interpretation as a basis for what I am trying to convey, trusting what my perception has "proven" to me countess times, "proving" or "disproving" "science," hopes, and theory I have heard, read, or had. And even with things I know from my experience to be real in this system and room, I try to be careful not to be aggressive or absolutist, in part because that is usually polarizing, so not an effective means of communication to me, and as much, there are just too many variables for everyone's knowledge and experience to necessarily match completely with a given exploration.

But hopefully, we can provide pointers for other questers, especially based on our real-life observations and discoveries.

Some ideas that seem relevant to me today anyway...

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 08/30/22 at 12:24:46

Quote:
The science is not there that cryo-tone or a cryo-genic treatment can pierce the veil of a glass enveloped vacuum.

I don’t follow that it needs to pierce the vacuum. The metal goes from outside the vacuum to inside the vacuum. There is no break in the metal. Long enough exposure should have the entire tube inside and out the same temperature. This might be why certain cryo treatments people report don’t make a difference?

Quote:
As far as with cables and interconnect and other bare metal parts yes I have heard the difference.

Why would it make a difference if the insulator is a vacuum?

The Cryo-tone tubes I've put in my system did sound different than the JJ non cryo'd tubes. I did prefer the Cryo-tone vs JJ. I don't care for the JJ sound. Cryo-tone took the JJ sound and refined it. They still don't suit my taste.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 08/30/22 at 14:00:44

The JJs I have tried were definitely different.
I would have to say that they enhanced the bass range some, but it was not a refined enhancement.

Some of the instantaneous attack was smoothed over in some way. Just not as precise as even the stock Sovtek versions.

I have not tried the cryo'ed JJs, but I agree the standard ones were not to my taste.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 09/01/22 at 18:30:54

I was quoted that currently it’s a 1 month lead time on one of these super rectifier units.

Brad

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #83 - 09/01/22 at 21:48:30

Posted by: GroovySauce on: 08/30/22 at 07:24:46
Quote:
Quote:Bicycle Joe
The science is not there that cryo-tone or a cryo-genic treatment can pierce the veil of a glass enveloped vacuum.

GroovySauce wrote
I don’t follow that it needs to pierce the vacuum. The metal goes from outside the vacuum to inside the vacuum. There is no break in the metal. Long enough exposure should have the entire tube inside and out the same temperature. This might be why certain cryo treatments people report don’t make a difference?

Quote:
Quote:Bicycle Joe
As far as with cables and interconnect and other bare metal parts yes I have heard the difference.

Groovy Sauce asked
Why would it make a difference if the insulator is a vacuum?

The Cryo-tone tubes I've put in my system did sound different than the JJ non cryo'd tubes. I did prefer the Cryo-tone vs JJ. I don't care for the JJ sound. Cryo-tone took the JJ sound and refined it. They still don't suit my taste.

Answer the absolute zero coolant @ minus 273 degrees Celsius has to make physical contact with the critical bits and pieces inside the vacuum envelope

Quote:
Brent Jesse Wrote to me Bicycle Joe
Hi Joseph,

We have all of the tubes you need.  The 6L6 are on our 6L6 web page.  The metal jacket RCA and GE are $65.00 per matched pair.

The standard 6SJ7 tubes of various brands are $5.00 each.  RCA are $10.00 each.  For the best, we recommend the instrument grade 5693 RCA “red” series in the red metal jacket.  They are far superior.  They are $90.00 each.

The RCA made 5U4G tubes are $99.00 each.

We do not offer cryo treatment to our tubes.  We have consulted with mechanical and electrical engineers about the process.  While it does have benefits by relaxing stress in metal parts (the process is used by the military on weapons parts and aircraft parts) it does nothing to tubes.  The critical metal parts of a tube are sealed inside, in a vacuum, so the coolant never touches those parts that need the treatment.  Hench no effect or change happens to the operating parts of the tube.  We do not sell smoke, mirrors, or snake oil.

Shipping insured is $17.00 in the USA, $31 to Canada, and $40 to other countries.

State of Illinois residents only,  add 10% state tax based on the cost of the merchandise.

Groovy Sauce I myself do not use JJ tubes. if you enjoy and hear a subjective difference good enough, enjoy the Wathen tubes but FYI although I've deleted their email JJ who manufacture the rebranded Cryotone tubes for Wathen answered the same. You can ask them yourself by writing info@jj-electronic.com

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 09/02/22 at 02:07:17

BicycleJoe,

I sense that Will and Groovy are working to give you a way to gracefully slip out of the corner into which you have backed yourself.  A re-reading of their comments might be worth the effort.

After a few decades of listening to music through high quality tube gear, and having used dozens and dozens of tubes from all over the world, tubes made from the 1940’s on, you just might find yourself on the other side of the aisle.  Be sure to post your thoughts again in……..oh, I don’t know……maybe 2052.

Not trying to start a fight……..just sayin’.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #85 - 09/02/22 at 06:11:47

Doug yes you flat earthers are a stubborn lot and countless authorities opinions doesn't matter much to you.  

Tell me why hasn't Western Electric, Mullard, GE, Siemans, Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix, Genalex - Gold Lion, JAN Military, JJ Electronics, Psvane, SED Winged "C", Shuguang, Sovtek, Svetlana, Telefunken, Tung Sol, Groove Tubes or RCA ever adapted the processes of Cryogenic treatment you value so highly. Can you name one tube manufacturer past or present that ever cryogenically treated their tubes?

Crickets.

They must not care to make money and are or were in business for altruistic reasons or maybe no one ever told them or convinced them that cryogenics was a way to improve their products.
Maybe they respect and love their customers too much to upsell them with pseudo science.
Or maybe Cryogenic doesn't work inside a vacuum. I'll go with that last one.

Dougie I don't feel I am stuck in a corner but you do seem to be the one stirring the pot while just saying your not. A bit passive aggressive aren't you

Like my mother taught me "You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Now I wasn't trying to start a fight, I don't think that way. I was answering Will's question😵‍💫 with my opinion, you are entitled to yours, but next time try and back it up with some objective evidence other than subjective hear say.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 09/02/22 at 07:29:59

I thought this thread was about Super Rectifiers and ideas about the way it can work.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #87 - 09/02/22 at 07:47:01

It is Will, you need to ask Doug why he reopened that can of worms invoking your name and others, as I noted above I was responding directly to your question then Doug  chimed in with his 2 cents from behind the tall weeds.

My opinion of the Super Rectifier? I believe I answered your question respectfully and completely above.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 09/02/22 at 08:36:20

Yes, I get it. You have stated clearly that you are not in agreement with many of us, while revealing your ideologies about trust and suspicion.... as well as making it clear that what many of us actually hear, for you, does not have relevance compared to what you read and take on as your own beliefs. So why not let this one go, and let the thread unfold without any more discord.

Wink

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #89 - 09/02/22 at 08:48:49

Not what I said and more correctly not what I wrote. I was responding to direct inquiries about my opinion. It is not ideologies that all the tube manufacturers or purveyors of tube listed above are not in agreement with your subjective arguments. As I stated I have no problem acknowledging cryogenic treatment has an affect on bare metals.

AS far as the Super Rectifier you haven't actually heard one have you?

Get back to me when a tube manufacturing company adapts cryogenicc treatment to their manufacturing process.  Let's put a pin on that instead of being deliberately obtuse.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 09/02/22 at 09:09:51

No, it is obvious from my posts I have not heard a Super Rectifier. But as I said, all the many experiments I have done with power supplies and other modifications imply that this guy's writing seems pretty real, and that Super Rectifiers could well work as the initial reviewer found them to....In my case, these ideas are not from reading, but from a fair bit of experimental experience. And I can't say for sure until I hear one, but guessing as stated earlier.

I personally am not going to put a pin on cyro tubes. I have compared tubes with close measurements and run in time on them, and heard the differences, as I recall with JJ 6CA7s, Gold Lion KT66, and Tungsol 6L6G power tubes. Also with Voltage Regulators and input tubes I was very familiar with, and sent in to have cryo'd, hearing similar differences. So ideas of science and tube sellers, don't sync with my experience, which is what I trust more than the biases others have developed for whatever reasons.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #91 - 09/02/22 at 09:40:23

You keep saying others biases, Will your bias lays in the belief of your own of subjective argument. More power to you and your philosophies for truly as Hamlet suggests that human knowledge is limited: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy" [science].

If your interested in the Sarah and lay out $1500 for a pair of WE 300B tubes by all means send them out to be treated or buy some treated JJ's if that is your pursuit of happiness.

I have listened to Cryo as I mentioned above, I prefer select vintage NOS to most current production tubes cryod or not. I will try some of Western Electric current offerings if they have tubes I need.

Good Night! Sleep Tight! Don't let the bedbugs bite.
If they bite sleep tight, they'll come back another night.

left to right all Mullard late 50's early 60's

EF86, 12AX7, 12AX7, 12AT7, Pair EL84 and an EZ 81 rectifier

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 09/02/22 at 10:45:41

Quote:
Answer the absolute zero coolant @ minus 273 degrees Celsius has to make physical contact with the critical bits and pieces inside the vacuum envelope

More subjectivity based on nonsense.

Quote:
Reply #85 - Today at 1:11am 

Doug yes you flat earthers are a stubborn lot and countless authorities opinions doesn't matter much to you.  

Tell me why hasn't Western Electric, Mullard, GE, Siemans, Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix, Genalex - Gold Lion, JAN Military, JJ Electronics, Psvane, SED Winged "C", Shuguang, Sovtek, Svetlana, Telefunken, Tung Sol, Groove Tubes or RCA ever adapted the processes of Cryogenic treatment you value so highly. Can you name one tube manufacturer past or present that ever cryogenically treated their tubes?

It was not necessary and/or profitable to promote cryogenic treatment to a market that anticipated replacement of parts and vastly unconcerned with audiophile ideology.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 09/02/22 at 11:14:29

Quote:
Reply #74 - 08/29/22 at 12:59pm 

Quote:

Jerry

"Wait a minute" is most likely necessary to avoid an onrush of current created by the additional capacitors added from the targeted amp, therefore avoiding early tube failure in the external rectifier.

I totally agree with keeping this external rectifier out of any of Decwares anniversary offerings. Steve did a very good job with the anniversary mods.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 09/02/22 at 11:44:21

I took the "wait a minute" to be that way as well John.

Like Will I think there's quite possibly something interesting to the idea and design of these "super rectifiers," though I too wonder how effective or needed they would be with Decware products which already have powerful power supplies. I wouldn't buy one without consulting with Steve to use with his components, and I won't buy two of them at these price points to use with my Monoblocks, but maybe with the Sarah when that rolls around if Steve thought it would be compatible.

We in this hobby can be both aligned with the potential of incremental improvements and prone to overkill in our aims and investments. Some out there take advantage of these tendencies; I don't personally think Steve or Space Tech are one of those.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #95 - 09/02/22 at 12:35:42

Edited:
It was not necessary and/or profitable to promote cryogenic treatment to a market that anticipated replacement of parts and vastly unconcerned with audiophile ideology.

John wouldn't that apply to current production WE or Mullard? These days anyone who is in the market for tube hi-fi equipment falls under the "Audiophile" demographic and who wouldn't want repeat business.

Western Electric has been marketing to that segment for more than half a century. BTW I didn't say promote I said include in their manufacturing process to improve their product. I am sure you have a dozen other repartees to support your position but none of them can refute that there is no tube manufacturer past or present that believed in the efficacy of cryogenic treatment. Do you know how tubes are actually made? It would be simple to add one more step to the manufacturing process. Quite simple to apply cryogenic treatment to the bits and pieces before the tubes were actually assembled by hand. Thus side stepping the Vacuum Envelope problem, or if there is no such problem treat finished tubes batches before packaging.
If they have no interest why would they go to the bother of retooling and opening factories for such a limited market.

From what I understand from Western Electric promotion is they are a spare no expense, time, or effort organization to deliver the best product they can make.

https://youtu.be/PA8G5zRjriI HD1080p
Batch Process Montage | From the Rossville Works

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 09/02/22 at 14:47:45

I still don’t understand why the vacuum has anything to do with the cryo process. Is it the cold or the liquid coolant that changes the material properties? I was under the impression that it’s the cold. How thick can a material be and still have the material change? Would a 10” round stock of steel not change all the way through if submerged in absolute zero cooling liquid for long enough?

If I had a box that had no liquid in it. It’s temperature is -272. In theory everything in the box will eventually get to -272. This is why I’m confused.

I’ve read that the cryo process they slowly bring it down to temperature, hold and slowly bring it back up to temperature. Sometimes they will cycle it in different ways. With liquid coolant (liquid nitrogen?) it seems like an all or nothing. Also seems like it would create thermal shock.  

Just because a few people say one thing doesn’t mean they are correct or wrong.

It’s possible that the cryo process used was not a beneficial process for tubes?

As far as manufactures of tubes not cryoing them. Look around, there are luxury and  state of the art products all over that can be improved. Why don’t they sell a better version? When I had my “landscaping company” we only mowed, Really it was a mowing company. No lawn clean up, no mulching If it couldn’t be done with a mower and a weed wacker we didn’t do it. Was I leaving money on the table? Depends on how you look at it. I liked that it was very little thought to run the business. I knew how long each job was going to take and how to schedule. The extra money isn’t worth the brain damage.

I as I said, I don’t care for the JJ tube sound and once I get my system setup in my new home, I’m going to give the Cryo-Tone tubes one more shot. I’m most likely going to sell them.

Doug, I’m flaunting my ignorance about cryo treatment. I really don’t know why Joe says that the vacuum part of a vacuum tube prevents it responding to cryo treatment. My example of the -272 deg box, everything even all the parts of a vacuum tube, will eventually reach -272.

Not super rectifier related, power related. I do have my entire system running on power that has gone though a tube(s)  I have two Plasmatron 3s. (https://www.vhaudio.com/plasmatron.html) All my digital components go though one and my amp is solo on the other.

The difference is spectacular.

Power is way under appreciated in how it can improve music playback. I would love to try a pair of the super rectifiers on the Torii! I don’t see it happening any time soon though. Rectifiers set the stage for every other tube in the amp. Having more control and possibly better power sounds like a winner to me.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 09/02/22 at 17:30:33

Groovy, I agree. I am pretty sure I can say that after an earlier version of a Rachel, some of Bob's MG944s, an improved front end, and more transparent and complete cables expanding my musical landscape... then power to the gear, and the power in it, have likely been the most important and influential system areas in seeking the deeper and more complete balances, the deeper beauty. Tubes to me are really important also, a huge playground for me with likely hundreds of NOS tubes. But by refining the power supply parts, the tubes are less critical, while also being more resolving and revealing of their traits. So the good ones are more translucent and complete, and the lesser ones worse, a more resolved environment showing their limitations clearly. And that is using mostly Decware, just helping it to do what is does more completely.

So I agree about the power of the rectifier (and circuit) being foundational. In my mind so much begins with the rectifier and associated chokes and transformers, so that area is always in the forefront for me with refinement work. But it all matters. And as I suggested earlier, all that power supply work was a profound improvement in everything musical with the Decware that I have carefully modified mainly by sound....

But I also agree with others that Steve makes great power supplies, and that this is a big part of his sound... Yet, thank goodness, he is always working to improve his power supplies (and the rest), so an ongoing creative process that yields real results. Related, my experience shows that the power supplies, with careful and balanced efforts are upgradable, A-type mods or not. So my quest is in seeking over time making a world class amp more world class. And Steve has provided an amazing platform for folks like me, having squeezed as much beauty out of the amps as he can, while making his things affordable for the highly considered quality he gets...

The rectifier is clearly a big part of this, and the power empowering the rectifier can definitely help provide more translucent resolution, immediate and balanced speeds, micro-micro to macro-macro dynamics, and critical spectral balances.... So I hear you, finally the rectifier is fundamental to the whole sound, especially once we seek deeper and deeper immersion, the rectifier defining a lot of how complete the inputs and other tubes, and all that supports them can be.

In this context, conceptually, it is impossible for me not to "believe" that something like the Super Rectifiers could potentially be revelatory. And I am guessing the measurements are pretty right being built to replace normal rectifiers we use. And especially with the standby switch, it might just work beautifully??? But I agree that it would be wise to get a feel from Steve about possible cautions and compatibility.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 09/02/22 at 19:21:43

I suppose based on my waitlist position, that this may be useless or a hollow promise. I’m going with the ZMA, which doesn’t have rectifier tubes but the csp3 does. I will purchase the STR 1002($2000), so mid tier and if desired, have it sent straight to Steve. This would probably be spring time but if this “mystery” hasn’t been resolved by then, I will volunteer. So save the thread in the mental rolodex.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 09/02/22 at 21:11:43

I can see how a vacuum would make a big difference.  That's how a thermos works.  There is a vacuum between the outer layer and the inner liner so the heat / cold doesn't escape.  Also according to a previous post to achieve a -272 C temperature the agent usually liquid nitrogen has to be in direct contact with the medium.  If you just dipped the base maybe thru conduction the metal inside the vacuum would eventually reach close to the absolute zero and because of the vacuum it wouldn't heat up to the ambient temperature but I have no idea how long that would take but metal and glass expand and different rates so I could also see if not done correctly (whatever that process would be?)  the vacuum could easily be compromised.

That said I've never heard one...  maybe decfest Smiley

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print