Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 00:39:37 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ultimate for tube rollers- External tube rectifier (Read 19727 times)
tempest62
Ex Member

Re: Ultimate for tube rollers- External tube rectifier
Reply #150 - 09/18/22 at 23:27:05

Hey James,

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. Zero interest in any 300B here, though you did help confirm my interest in their mid-tier super rectifier with an added custom option. I’ve had a few email strings with Al and he’s no joke.

By the way, which model used 300B did you purchase?

And a big thanks goes to Dana for starting this thread.

So it’s a big wet quadruple egg omelette in the face of the forum’s loudest here with an attitude and nothing to base anything on. The truth always wins.

Brad

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 09/19/22 at 03:20:58

Quote:
So it’s a big wet quadruple egg omelette in the face of the forum’s loudest here with an attitude and nothing to base anything on. The truth always wins.

At the risk of being insulted, I do not see any value or substance in that statement above concerning this thread.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #152 - 09/19/22 at 03:41:54

John,

No need for concern. I wasn’t referring to you. You’re not the Loud One.

Brad

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 09/19/22 at 11:19:41

It wasn’t who the statement was directed at that was the concern , but the inflammatory nature of the statement. It’s just instigating and begging for a response from the intended target. Why start? We come here for fun and to learn that’s all.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 09/19/22 at 12:22:14

CAJames, Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s prematurely whetting my appetite for the Sarah 300B!

Once you have had more time—and the 300B settles in more—the answer will present itself.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #155 - 09/19/22 at 15:23:44

Just FYI/FWIW here are some comparisons between my amp and what we know about the Sarah 300B.

My amp weighs 40 lbs, and most of that is the transformers. They are pretty bad a$$, and probably why the bass is so tight and well defined. I don't know how much Sarah is going to weigh, but for comparison the SE34I.6 is 18 LBS.

Both amps have AC circuits for the heaters. Mine has a screw to adjust to minimize the hum. Hum is kinda a trigger for me and with my 95 dB speakers there is some. I can hear it at the speakers, not so much from my seat (but I know its there...).

Sarah has a tube rectifier, which would be my preference. My amp is SS rectified, and has a (presumably) can'o caps bigger and taller than a 300B tube for power supply reservoir. It also has a 10 second soft start circuit, where as I believe Sarah is choke regulated.

Probably the biggest different (at least topologically) is the input. We all know about Sarah's "zrock inspired" input circuit that uses the Decware standard 9 pin input tubes. The thing that really got me interested in the Space-tech amp is that it has a balanced input circuit with 6S[N|L]7 input tubes. The balanced input drives the 300B tubes which are single ended. For me, the 'L7 had too much gain so I've been using pairs of single triode equivalents of the 6SN7: 6J5GTs, VT37 and my favorite GEC L63.

Finally the cosmetics. The Space-tech amp is gold finish aluminum, and is not really my style. I much prefer the Decware look, but what are you going to do?

In other news some "friends" on another site convinced me to get the Takatsuki 300B tubes so more on that later...

SE-300B-Bal-1.jpg

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 09/19/22 at 23:49:06

James,

I think your new amp looks great. I hope you fall in love with it Smiley
Getting it used was a smart move. I’ll bet you got a nice deal.

Brad

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #157 - 09/22/22 at 15:01:01

Has anyone purchased one of the super rectifiers yet?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #158 - 10/01/22 at 00:57:35

One poster on the PS Audio forum mentioned he had bought one recently used from The Music Room, and pictured a basic one in use that he said he was using with his preamp (which he did not identify). He felt it was a significant upgrade.

His remark: Bought this separate power supply from the music room for $450, it made a huge difference when I plugged it into the preamp’s rectifier socket.

When I inquired whether that was a Space-Tech Laboratory Super Rectifier he replied:

Yes, it’s a space tech super rectifier. A couple $20 rectifier tubes just blow away the mainstream rectifiers that most other equipment uses. I can flip the switch to 5 volt and put mainstream rectifiers in it also or even a 300b as a rectifier.

His photo:

IMG_20210822_221706557.jpeg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #159 - 10/01/22 at 02:26:59

Lon, thanks for sharing that.

Off the cuff, based on the price used and photos at the site, that looks to be Space Tech’s entry level STR-104.

Very encouraging.

I’m strongly considering the STR-1001 with choke option at some point, so I can also experience the big tubes, even the mercury vapor 872A. I too would be linking it to the preamp.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 10/12/22 at 16:38:11

So to use one of these with my Torii Mk3, which has one rectifier per channel, would I need to buy one to replace each rectifier tube (that would be very expensive!!!), or does Space-Tech make a version that is stereo and would replace both rectifiers in my amp?
Thanks!
Chris

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #161 - 10/13/22 at 16:43:38

Astro-Chris,

Yes, unfortunately you would have to buy 2 super rectifiers for a dual mono amp like the Torii, or a pair of mono blocks.

A great alternative would be to link a single super rectifier to a tube rectified preamp. Do you have one?

Brad

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 10/13/22 at 17:12:39

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your response.

Yikes, that will be cost-prohibitive to have to buy 2, even if they are a major improvement.

Unfortunately, I do not have a tube rectified preamp; I am using the Torii MK3 as a stand-alone integrated amp.

I'm still very eager to hear some impressions from someone who has heard one of these units with Decware gear.  Maybe if it's a night and day difference, I might start saving my pennies Smiley

Thanks again,
Chris

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #163 - 10/13/22 at 17:25:49

Chris, I don't think anyone has used this with Decware gear yet.

Personally, after spending a few weeks rotating about a dozen different pairs of rectifiers through my Monoblocks I don't think this is likely a benefit worth the money for Decware components. The power supply, especially with the Mods, is quite robust and responsive to rectifier rolling. I think money is possibly better spent on Anniversary mods and with those this "super rectifier" is likely to have a lesser impact.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 10/13/22 at 17:33:05

Hi Lon,
Thanks so much for your thoughts.  What all are involved in the "anniversary mods"?  As I have a Torii Mk3, I don't think Steve offers that for my amp.  I have, however, been working with Will to systematically go through and mod multiple aspects of my Mk3, and it is sounding quite spectacular, so maybe I should forget about these "super rectifiers" and just do some tube rolling with my Mk3. For the cost of the super rectifier 9especially 2 of them), I can buy an awful lot of rectifier tubes to try :-D
Thanks again,
Chris

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #165 - 10/13/22 at 17:47:12

There's a lot of info here on the forums about Anniversary mods. Steve has one level built into the latest version of the Torii and another level available as a mod for an additional 400 dollars, and I think others with Mk III have had Anniversary Mods added to their amps, I would check with Sarah or Steve about cost and levels. Or check with Will. I believe in Will and the improvements he makes; imo his is one of the best audio minds. Wink

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 11/11/22 at 21:51:31

It seems Steve had something up into its sleeves ....I didn't know about this rectifier tube....so I ordered it !

https://www.decwareproducts.com/product-page/russian-5u4

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 09/08/23 at 03:34:28

It’s been a while and I wanted to resuscitate this thread to gauge if anyone used the super rectifier with Decware gear with Anniversary mods? The speculation last year was that this would have not a meaningful impact with the robust power regulation inherent in newer Decware amps.

CA James, it’s been a year since you got your 300B from Space Tech. Any additional impressions you’d like to share over your long term ownership? Can’t recall, did you end up getting the Takatuski 300B tubes?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 09/08/23 at 08:54:11

Since this came out :

https://wathenspeakers.com/store/p137/5AR4-WC_-_V2.html

Anyone has tried it ?

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #169 - 09/08/23 at 15:34:11

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:34:28

...CA James, it’s been a year since you got your 300B from Space Tech. Any additional impressions you’d like to share over your long term ownership? Can’t recall, did you end up getting the Takatuski 300B tubes?

I've posted about this elsewhere, but since you asked I guess no harm in recapitulating here ...

I've been listening to the Space-tech 300B amp exclusively since I sold my UFOs in January. Yes, I got Takatsuki 300B tubes, which were a nice improvement over the perfectly listenable budget Chinese 300Bs I started with. I've also been cycling through my collection of 6SN7 equivalent input tubes.

In a word the sound is beautiful. On the right recordings it is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard, recorded or live. If I had never heard Decware UFOs I could easily live with this forever. But (and now this is based on my months old memory of the UFO sound) it isn't as fast or detailed or spacious as I know is possible. It is maybe too beautiful: the UFOs were the the perfect balance of truth and beauty. The 300B amp trades some truth for more beauty, and I'd like the truth back.

My UFO25s are currently hung up in the supply chain, and I'm looking forward to getting the Decware sound back in my listening room. I anticipate selling the 300B amp soon after they arrive, so if anyone is interested watch the classifieds.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #170 - 09/08/23 at 21:01:09

Good for you, knowing the sound that you prefer and not what is touted to be the best. In other systems it is quite possible that you would prefer the 300B sound, but that would be my point to begin with. Go with your preferences.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 09/09/23 at 12:40:57

After room treatments I've spent more time and energy on the power delivery to the system than anything else. My experience is power is often a second thought.

I would love to try the super rectifiers. The cost to try is too steep for me right now.

STR-1002 Ultra Super Tube Rectifier $1664
Power Cable ~$1,600
2 more sets of tubes to roll ~$400?

3664x2 = $7328

Yes, I could go with a lower model. for $952. My thought is if I'm going through the process of auditioning it I would want to really see what it can do. I would also need to get two more PCs that I'm happy with to give it a fair go.

I'm also tight on space for more components.

I'm very happy with the EML 5u4g tubes I've been running for the last 1.5 years. They beat out NOS from the 40's through new production.

I've also been so happy with my stereo for months I'm not motivated to change anything.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 09/09/23 at 17:12:02

Hey Groovysauce

I really like my Eml xls 300b tubes

Most ballsy 300b I have heard and bulletproof with 5 year warranty.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #173 - 09/09/23 at 17:18:15

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 04:40:57

...I would love to try the super rectifiers. The cost to try is too steep for me right now...

That's where I'm at as well. IMO it is a sweet technology and I'd really like to try at least one in my headphone/pre-amp. But the bill for my UFO25s is coming due soon so that's where my hardware budget is allocated for the foreseeable future. And of course if I get one and really like it then I'd need to get 2 more for the UFOs .

Quote:
...I'm also tight on space for more components....

Yeah, that too. And I've got a lifetime supply of nice rectifiers already. So, not today but maybe some day...

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 09/09/23 at 23:31:23

johnnycopy How did you decide on the EML xls 300B? I'm a huge fan of the EML 5u4g so when I get my Sarah 300B a EML 300B is on my list of tubes to explore. EML makes 3 different versions? Sorry for asking a question not true to the original thread.

CAJames As I mentioned above, I'm incredibly happy with how my system is right now. I also ordered a Sarah 300B a year ago. So I'm not motivated to make any changes right now. Good chance I have a lifetime of NOS rectifiers too.

I've been enjoying my system and not messing with it for a few months now* if I'm enjoying it so much why change anything?

*I offered Kamran an extended loan of my ZBIT. This got me thinking if he asked to buy it would I sell it. I never installed it in my system. I borrowed my brothers ZBIT and have been playing it for a few hours, issue is I am using a his interconnects which have a different sound than mine... now I'm  considering getting a pair of XLRs to see if it's the cable difference or the ZBIT. So I am messing with my system a smidge.

If I had the cash sitting next to me right now demanding to be spent on the super rectifiers I'm not sure I would. I'm enjoying listening so much I would lose an hour of listening to try something different.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 09/12/23 at 02:20:12

Groovysauce,

I had a failure with a pair of pvsane 300b’s last year in my coincident technology Frankenstein mk3 monoblocks

Online I got in touch with folks who also run the same amp asking what they have run and liked.

One fellow who I trust a lot Charlesdad1 has tried a large number of 300b’s and swore by both the sonics and reliability of the Eml xls tubes.

I then followed up with my tube designer / builder who flat out specifically recommended the Eml xls to me.

That sealed the deal.

Following are some comments from Charlesdad1

I've had VAIC- EML XLS-KR XLS-Sophia Electric Royal Princess-Takasuki-Early generation Elrog and 1980s vintage Western Electric 300b. My verdict is There is no single absolute best choice amongst them.  Too many variables that can favor one over another. Some of these tubes will sound better in one amplifier compared to another. The overall audio system "voicing " is a key factor.

For my particular amplifier/audio system and ears the EML XLS has been ideal  for me.

I have used the EML XLS in my Frankensteins MK II for about 7 or 8 years band they are excellent! Very rugged construction and undeniably reliable. They sound splendid in this amplifier.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #176 - 09/12/23 at 04:28:29

Quote:
Posted by: johnnycopy      Posted on: Today at 18:20:12

...I have used the EML XLS in my Frankensteins MK II for about 7 or 8 years band they are excellent! Very rugged construction and undeniably reliable. They sound splendid in this amplifier.

FWIW my online friends, who own more 300B tubes then I own socks, also like EML. I think the consensus is it is a notch below WE/Elrog/Takatsuki but sounds a lot like the WE, is well made and less expensive than the "big 3."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print