Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 01:00:46 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ultimate for tube rollers- External tube rectifier (Read 19991 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: Ultimate for tube rollers- External tube rectifier
Reply #100 - 09/02/22 at 21:36:04

Here it is as defined in the wiki but there is much more detailed information about the chemical processes and the actual change in chemical structure. Steve talked about it on the forum and the information is online but here it is in layman terms from Wiki.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_treatment

A cryogenic treatment is the process of treating workpieces to cryogenic temperatures (i.e. below −190 °C (−310 °F)) in order to remove residual stresses and improve wear resistance in steels and other metal alloys, such as aluminum. In addition to seeking enhanced stress relief and stabilization, or wear resistance, cryogenic treatment is also sought for its ability to improve corrosion resistance by precipitating micro-fine eta carbides, which can be measured before and after in a part using a quantimet.

The process has a wide range of applications from industrial tooling to the improvement of musical signal transmission. Some of the benefits of cryogenic treatment include longer part life, less failure due to cracking, improved thermal properties, better electrical properties including less electrical resistance, reduced coefficient of friction, less creep and walk, improved flatness, and easier machining.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 09/03/22 at 03:57:33

It’s getting hard to focus on external tube rectification and it’s potential benefits with the tangential debate on cryogenics.  Would love to hear from folks like Earthbound who end up buying an external rectification unit.  It would also be interesting to hear Steve’s take on it.

Joe, while I respect your and Brent Jesse’s opinion, perhaps it’s time to just move on?  Our community is big enough to accommodate both who believe and don’t believe in cryo and there is no need for either party to go out of their respective ways to denigrate the other party for their views.  You’ve said your peace (and then some).  For the good of the group (and this thread), let’s call it a night.

Kamran

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #102 - 09/03/22 at 08:52:47

As much as I respect your opinion Kamran, telling me to move on is pretty rude since what your real saying is shut up. If you read others posts on this thread they have been asking questions and I have tried to answer them. Kamran this is called a Decware Audio Forum, Webster Dictionary defines a Forum as
fo·rum | ˈfôrəm |
noun (plural forums)
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:ie. it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research.
• a website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings.

IT was first Lon and then Will that first brought up Cryo on this thread with Will going off on what I would call a tangental direction and in one of his long posts he invoked my name directly and asked my opinions. After that I was not the only one who brought up the topic several times. Yet just as you have just done now many others on several different posts on this thread are not about the the super rectifier but only speak about cryogenics and invoke my name.

But you want me to silence myself while using my name, how strange.

I don't believe I have denigrated anyone. My last post addressed direct questions posted by forum members on this thread who quoted or misquoted me about technical aspects of Cryogenics.  I simply posted a wiki entry to explain details that answered several question posted above, I referred people to Steve's posts on this forum on the topic and I encouraged them to seek more info on the internet concerning the chemical changes Cryo effects on metal and it's crystalline lattice structure that Steve wrote about.

The WIKI post contains several "facts" about Cryo and several statements I am not in agreement with but I posted it completely anyway without censorship to demonstrate I am not biased. Several statements in it would support cryogenics usefulness for audio and vacuum tubes.

So Kamran what was it you were saying about the Super Rectifier, please continue.

I have said my piece and as you noted I have explained it to exhaustion yet for some they take my view as a personal challenge and are triggered because they heard a subjective difference.
I have never said they didn't or it was their imagination or a placebo affect. I have said if they enjoyed the Cryotube and the sound it provides by all means enjoy it while at the same time I provided authoritative information that supports my opinion objectively. That is the designed purpose of a forum, a place for the exchange of ideas and opinions. Whether you like them or not.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 09/03/22 at 11:34:29

So, we got this external tube rectifier introducing noise to a well tuned amplifier(Decware)!

Just don't jive IMHO!

Capacitors are inherent of creating noise in amplifiers. Think of the noise static electricity creates when discharged between a finger and door knob...ouch! Thats what happens inside a capacitor. So the ETR adds more...

Extending the socket of the targeted amp with an umbilical cord creates resistance and limits current to a degree that was not present in the amp prior insertion of the ETR.

MP3's compromise media. A caveman is beating bones over improvement of sound while listing to compromised media!

I think ear fatigue will set in after haphazardly inserting a ETR in my system.

I pass.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 09/03/22 at 13:50:31

Will, I’m with you. Once I got my preferred rectifier tube sorted, the other tubes fell into place quickly.

JBzen, umbilical  cable resistance is a consideration.  Does the Super Rectifier use a brute force method of overcoming this then massaging it so it’s silky smooth?

I have a hunch it adds harmonics to the power. So even if it’s limiting current a small amount it makes up for it with harmonic richness.

How much does limited current affect Class A amps. Especially low power ones? a UFO at 65W or a Torii at 85W /channel. The draw from the rectifier is a few watts less as those figures are before the transformer.

I’ve hit the point where I don’t know how to fit everything in the room. Adding two boxes (Torii) with 4 more cables seems like a logistical nightmare. And of course would “NEED” one for my ZP3 too! I completely understand why there are so many ads stating they are downsizing. July I packed up my stereo, moved and haven’t got it setup yet. I have two Triple Threat Subwoofers that have yet to be assembled and I have no idea how I’m going to fit them in a 19.5x27’ room!

I would love to audition a pair or trio though! Oh man, audiophiles are crazy.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 09/03/22 at 13:51:11

I love to see arguments about sh#t when nobody posting has any direct listening experience with an audio product. Really this is just arguing for the expressed purpose of arguing. Come on forum members, let's step up our game and share helpful information to each other. Get a grip folks!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #106 - 09/03/22 at 14:21:23

I am with HK here.  All this speculation and arguing over a product that no one here has actuallly used.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #107 - 09/03/22 at 14:35:14

ditto

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 09/03/22 at 15:30:52

Agreed, perhaps we can revisit this once we have some direct member experience.  This is going nowhere, but in circles.

Joe, I disagree with your analysis of my recommendation to move on but won’t belabor the point any further.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #109 - 09/03/22 at 16:52:53

It is nice to watch a good argument that doesn't degrade into a name calling contest.

Everyone acted pretty much as a adult and I didn't have the need to step in and break things up.

Nothing political, no one called anyone a idiot or took potshots.

See different opinions can be displayed here with no bloodletting.

Donnie

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 09/03/22 at 21:09:09

I would respectfully propose that discussion of the scientific validity, yea or nay, of cryogenic process for tubes be conducted in a thread for that purpose, instead of repeatedly derailing threads on another topic with that issue.

There was (and still is) in fact a thread which fits that description: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1622944026. And of course one can start a new thread for that purpose.

Conveyance of one's own experience with cryo'd tubes is no different than likewise for tube rolling, interconnects, fuses, etc., and would be welcomed likewise.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 09/03/22 at 22:24:50

Donnie said:  “It is nice to watch a good argument that doesn't degrade into a name calling contest.”

I got called a “flatearther”, which is no big deal.  Of real concern is how he knew.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 09/04/22 at 01:55:18

Lots of traffic.
Lots of questions.
I'll try to merge when I have more time.

Interesting discussion.
Keep it up.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #113 - 09/04/22 at 02:32:20

Quote:
So, we got this external tube rectifier introducing noise to a well tuned amplifier(Decware)!

Just don't jive IMHO!

Capacitors are inherent of creating noise in amplifiers. Think of the noise static electricity creates when discharged between a finger and door knob...ouch! Thats what happens inside a capacitor. So the ETR adds more...

Extending the socket of the targeted amp with an umbilical cord creates resistance and limits current to a degree that was not present in the amp prior insertion of the ETR.

I think ear fatigue will set in after haphazardly inserting a ETR in my system

What cap makes noise through a speaker in an audio system?

The umbilical is far too short to cause any ill effects related to resistance. Actually the impedance of the rectifier itself is a few thousands fold over that of the umbilical.

Brad

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 09/04/22 at 11:30:15

Aging caps will make noise through the speakers. Any lenght of wire will be resistant to current flow.

Keeping in gist of the conversation, hoping not to excite the crys of censorship from the spoon bang gang, the idea of tethering a box full of electronics to a fine tuned amp just don't make good sense. Why spend thousands on a mystery box that can be returned if not satisfied for up to 30% restocking fee plus shipping both ways when a $30 tube could produce the same result.

Space Tech has been around for about the same time as Decware. Both companies hand build their products. The big difference is Steve will share his philosophy openly while absorbing feedback in a positive way. In other words we all learn as a Decware family. ST seems to be more secret in their offerings and return policies seem a bit revealing to me.

ST's super rectifier will no doubt help some amps but I personally do not think it is a good fit for the Decware anniversary offerings.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #115 - 09/04/22 at 11:56:02

I don't really disagree with you--I wouldn't try one of these without Steve's input on the component. But I think I have a little more intuitive faith in this product. .. I think it could potentially produce a better result than a thirty dollar rectifier in the right component.

I would like to note that the 30% restocking fee is only for custom orders, other restocking fees are 10% and 20%. One big consideration is that postage from the US to Canada and from Canada to the US is HIGH. Really hign.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #116 - 09/04/22 at 14:11:46

It cost less to ship the 45 lb 300B amp from Canada than it did to ship 2 UFOs (that weigh less combined) from Decware. FWIW, FYI.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #117 - 09/04/22 at 15:34:48

Well that's good to know. My last mailings to and from Canada a year or so ago were awful damned expensive.

Interested in hearing your impressions of the amp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #118 - 09/04/22 at 16:16:19

JBzen,

Thank you for that input.

Two thoughts:

1. You’re quite right about the protectiveness of ST. Pretty standard in the business. Steve is a very different animal and we are lucky to have him.

2. The spoon gang can go to Hades. Little children in adult bodies. Can’t even handle the internet.

Brad

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 09/04/22 at 20:39:24

JBzen and Brad,

You guys lost me on the spoon bang gang thing... Can you educate me on what this means... sorry, I don't get out much Smiley

JBzen,

Am I correct that you like a "purist" approach...tending not to wanting more things, even very transparent things in your paths. If so I get it, especially in theory, and if all else is equal in design, parts, wires, and cables.... But on the other hand, if it is all really good stuff to start with, in my case with Steve's "signature" sound considerations unifying them, my experience is that it is easier to add things of the same basic style. And these pre-stages being generally pretty transparent, while offering different enhancements from the designs, I like how they can compliment each other and the amp. Once tuned carefully with great tubes and all, individually and together, for me the improvements to musicality can easily outweigh the losses, liking the "improvements" enough that I have to  listen for the subtle losses from more things in the path. That said, I do have really good power now, super good cables throughout, pay attention to vibration tuning, etc, so a lot of impediments to un-smeared and translucent sound are taken care of along with careful tube tuning, and later, modifications.

And with successful modifications throughout, the same easy integration tends to happen for me, but with increased transparency, natural immediacy, realistic dynamics, clearer space and harmonic complexity, etc. Time and time again, adding the CSP3 or ZRock or ZBIT, I can improve my Torii sound. And as this progression unfolds, though subtle minor losses remain, I have to listen harder to hear them.

A fun part, each progressive longer dive into one component always reveals ways to improve the others, taking the sound of all the rest further yet, and creating some new references to improve the others from.

The other side though.... I had not gotten a new component in a long time, and got a used ZRock2 with only the tube mod. After hearing it with everything else modified pretty successfully, I would not have been able to keep it had I not been into modifications... it was compelling and cool, but just not up with the rest in their post stock or 25th mod states... Compared to the rest, it was a little slow and masked.... illustrating how even with nice designs, context matters when adding things.

So I set out to bring the ZRock into equilibrium with the rest, and pretty much needed to do all I did on the others to get there, all changes arrived at by sound tests... extra good connectors and wires/cables, resistor and cap tuning/refining, really careful bypass tuning, and in this case, output caps on the EQ board. And having focussed on it for months, it got me wanting to bring the Torii up some more to catch up with the ZRock's enhanced traits. The "new" ZRock engaged, more density without thickness or weighting the balances too much toward bass, complex harmonics with more complete space and fine detail throughout...definitely having a ZRock flavor, but what got my attention as much was how improving it taught me how the super tuned Torii could improve.

So lately, I am running my Torii with only a ZBIT between it and DAC, and the Torii seeming about right now, this thread stimulated me to test this setup with and without my the seriously modified ZRock2.

After the ZRock revealed it, the biggest thing the Torii lacked in comparison was very fine detail and space that the ZRock in this state helped pull. But I am always listening to the whole and the many balances, so also had my attention on more refined speed balances, open density, and richer complexity throughout, less smearing supporting it all. Consistently I find cap combos (base and bypass layers, power and coupling) are instrumental in bringing in the finer tonal nuances and finer detail and space, potentially contributing greater resolution, and associated, increased density also if needed. These can be adjusted with the right little caps and/or layers of caps... like more resolution with less apparent density and more space, or more resolution with more apparent density (or warmth, or space, shimmer, body, etc). And tuned well, finer detail, space, and density can carry throughout the spectrum, just from the right choices of these (added) little bypass combos. Though generally the case that smaller decent caps can help bigger bypasses do better, a lot of seemingly decent caps do not work as well as I like for this. But the right combos of the right caps promote a more authentic musical presentation everywhere, all the finer nuances of refining speed, space and resolution improving bass density with complexity, more timbral completeness, more resolved bass attacks and decays, clearer representation and differentiation between the kick drum and string bass notes... and same with mids and highs when all is right.

Anyway, an interesting trip lately having brought the Torii up to new levels based on insufficiencies the ZRock work revealed. And turning on the ZRock, I love it, or without, I love it. When on, richer resolution, but now more difficult to distinguish after the Torii tune up... but listening to whole records and getting reacquainted, its magic is there, more dense without thickness, more "analog" smooth with loads of fine detail, more natural immediacy and dynamics, more refined detail complexity and articulation along with more bass boldness and articulation. And after a while of adapting, it got more magical...just realer with a touching sweetness, not colored, but sweeter. With the "new" Torii, each of the ZRock's individual sonic area's additions and support  were relatively subtly, but they added up in the experience, end results much greater than the sum of the individual improvements. When I listen carefully for issues related to more parts in the paths, I can still hear it slightly in some aspects of the sound, things a little more concentrated making a little less complex space between the finest details. But with the added harmonic sweetness shifting toward the mids a little as a result of the greater density and a little stronger bass in the balance, the space feels more solid and empty too while the ZRock enhances the whole in its particular ways.

It is always surprising to me how much further "great" can go as I learn the tools better, and learn to discern sonic traits better. So I guess all this is relative, everything depending on all else. And I suppose I could call myself a purist, the purity and completeness of the musical experience the bottom line, but I get it in part with refined complexity.

On another note, I don't understand how one can say without looking inside and listening that the STR Super Rectifiers would be no better than using better rectifiers. Possible I suppose, but if this designer is as serious as he sounds like he is, and as straight forward and honest as his emails imply, I doubt it is no better than changing rectifiers. And if my supposition is real, and we like his style, I still think it could potentially be enlivening, even with my super tuned power supplies. Maybe...

I am starting to more seriously consider getting one myself to test, and in hopes of helping to clear up all this speculation. The idea of the influences of an 805 or 845, etc, with purported increases in all the other good things from the circuit design, it is compelling to me, and I could get the lowest level model and use it on the CSP3. But then, for some true believers in "purist" simplicity, I guess my explorations and interpretations may not be believable anyway, so would my opinions on this thing matter in this thread...maybe to some.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #120 - 09/04/22 at 22:25:14

Will, I agree. It’s more than worth $100-150 + shipping to put it all to rest. I say put up or shut up.

An 805a, 845, 211 and damned right yeah a mercury vapor 872a. We with dual mono or mono block amps would do well to try a single STR linked to the CSP3.

Brad

PS….Spoon gang clanging for censorship….pretty self evident, though just to put it straight means the pussy crowd that jump on the bandwagon who can’t handle colorful language with some jack behind it to push back on a stated claim of opinion. These are weasels who can’t deal with actual real street talk and can only live in the world of diplomatic fakery…..so they run straight to the moderator to bitch and complain. I’ll bet you already know of a few here that guy that mold…..you can smell ‘em miles away. They represent the shutdown/cancel culture of cowardice,

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 09/04/22 at 23:19:53

Yes those tubes seem like they could offer compelling flavors to our sounds, especially with the support of the circuit being a big player in the effects Al seems to seek.

Thanks Brad for the colorful and notably aggressive definition of spoon gang clanging... still not self evident to me by the language, but I don't hang out on political, or the social sites, or watch TV, or wherever one learns these things. I at least understand now what it means though, so thanks.

I prefer civil discourse over amped up aggression myself...aggression generally cultivating aggression, and a lot of energy that could have gone into real learning spent on reactivity back and forth to aggression, making solving problems or helping each other difficult or impossible. I see no political evangelical benefit in it either, in part for these reasons, and in part because our political/media machines have cultured polarization for so many decades, that fear, frustration, anger, hatred and aggression are now systemic.... which cultivates self-fulfilling polarization!

Guess that probably makes me a spoon-gang guy huh?

Running to the moderator and complaining? I would guess this is perhaps not real for most of us, Donnie likely paying attention to threads where known politicized aggression might possibly develop and try to chill it before it blossoms.... hoping to mitigate what to me is as much a vehicle for discrediting or picking unproductive fights as anything. My thoughts anyway.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 09/05/22 at 05:31:57

Will,

Well that doesn’t make you a spoon clang banger for censorship.

What that takes is a childish penchant for being a little tattletale and running behind momma’s skirt. Most aren’t like that but I know for a certifiable fact that there are plenty enough.

Brad

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 09/05/22 at 12:19:12

Will,

Certainly you are not part of the spoon bang gang in this thread. Quite the opposite. Think of a wedding reception where we pick up a spoon and bang on china requesting a romantic response from the just married couple. Apply that to this thread where noise was created, as I took it, "to put out or shut up" eliciting a response from the moderator. A form of censorship that this forum was never about.

Brad's idea of inserting the SR into a CSP3 is a good one. Groovysauce's though of physically adding yet another piece of hardware to the system is valid. CAJames unraveling the mystery that might be in the box is interesting and thought provoking. Just a few examples of ideas and speculation without ownership. Who would have thought of those with censorship.

You sir are very articulate in your writings with painstaking detail. The pics of your work parallels your writings. I, as you are open minded and willing to readily admit mistakes as we learn. When you have time to organize your tweaks and post, my eyes will be eager to absorb those.

Space Techs return policy goes something like this:
5% fee for local returns
10% fee for used purchased returns
20% fee for new purchased returns
30% fee for custom returns

Plug "n" Play has always been iffy. Sure it will work when plugged in but it seems glitches always surface in actual use.

John

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #124 - 09/05/22 at 16:51:06

+1 to JBzen.

Yes indeedy.

Brad

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 09/05/22 at 20:40:38

Thanks John for further defining spoon banging. The illustration of a wedding helps me get the language origins.

Just wondering... when you said this, guessing you are referring to Super Rectifiers?: "Plug "n" Play has always been iffy. Sure it will work when plugged in but it seems glitches always surface in actual use." and if so, I wonder if you might be up for expanding, or pointing us to links to fill this thought out?

Thanks,

Will

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 09/06/22 at 09:53:57

Hi Will,

The first glitch is the human interaction required. - the switch and sequence specified by the caveman. Turn on the ST, wait 60 seconds, turn on the initiation switch, finally turn on the targeted component. To turn on my system I say, "computer turn on DeeClair" "turn on capacitor bank." So using cavemans system sequence(as recommended by the manufacturer I suppose) would be inconvenient and haphazard in my circumstance.

The switch itself. I can only guess that switch supplies filtered DC to the cathode socket pins in the target component, eliminates the anode supply voltage from that targeted component, and creates an unbalanced condition in the target power supply.

What do you think?

Sorry for being short here but I am leaving tomorrow morning heading out west. Need to pack and do last minute chores.

Edit: after posting the above I listened for some sort of relay click when initiating the SR in the video. I did not detect any. But according to the caveman the target component supplies the anode voltage. This confuses me on how a switch can control all this? Plus DC and AC on a single length of cord?

Got to go.

John

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #127 - 09/06/22 at 12:19:49

JBzen As I stated before I believe the Cave man should stay in his cave, what a wanker to demo gear with MP3 and Bluetooth playback. He even said he was too lazy to hook up his system correctly for the demo. Not one other YT exspert (EX=HAS BEEN, SPURT = BIG DRIP) is flogging this esoteric gear. But it has been amusing listening to you guys Babylon about it.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 09/06/22 at 12:37:04

Yeah BJ, I did a search for reviews as suggested by Space Tech and did not come up with much on the SR. Mostly snake oil posts and some suggest the SR might help out some Chinese amps.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #129 - 09/06/22 at 13:11:49

I think Steve’s pretty smart not to get involved in a thread like this about another manufactures work, It isn’t good business really to talk badly about a product, that just creates a lot of noise that doesn’t clarify anything. There’s enough of that on the forums all over the internet and I’ve never seen anything good come out of it. Hell these days even the critics and the reviewer‘s do not want to speak badly about somebody else’s work, they’re afraid they won’t get that advertising dollar. That’s why so many units designs get ignored by the press and you won’t see a review telling you that something is snake oil or just bad design.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #130 - 09/06/22 at 13:29:34

I like how it is assumed Steve would talk bad about it.

Lot of prejudging going on here. Which is expected as there is so little solid information about the product. Which is on Space-Tech ultimately. But without a forum this is how Decware was many years ago. And a lot of shade thrown at Decware as a result.

If only negativity online were as comforting as negative ions in the air!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #131 - 09/06/22 at 13:31:53

Another interesting thing about Space-Tech is that if you look at their photos of the place itself. . . no treated rooms are shown. So it begs the question: do they know how their components sound in one? And it also is intriguing to me in that I have never been able to have a treated room and probably never will, so perhaps components designed and perhaps voiced without one might have a significance in my listening experience. (But I'm not interested in trying out one of their amps or preamps--I'm fully set up with Decware in that regards, and though I'm curious about a good 300B amp it's the Sarah I will try. . . first and probably be floored by it).

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #132 - 09/06/22 at 13:36:36

in general whether that opinion is good or bad commenting on line about another designers theories andr unknown design work with little or no concrete information about it is bad form for as a matter of opinion or a way of doing business.

Think about it, Steve is shrewd, I don't think he would hesitate to share his opinion privately though. He has many times and I value him for that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #133 - 09/06/22 at 13:52:52

I did think about it. I've been around here a long time and think I know a bit about the guy. I don't think he would give an uneducated opinion about it, but he sure does like to hype some other companies products (such as Lil and Wathen) that he's tried, and poo poo'd a few, and all I would really expect him to elucidate is compatibility with his rectifier based components and possible sonic effects.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #134 - 09/06/22 at 13:57:25

Steve isn’t going to comment unless he can review a schematic, and that ain’t gonna ever happen.

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #135 - 09/06/22 at 14:04:30

I'm glad you and Joe can speak for both Steve and Space-Tech so freely. Wink I wouldn't expect him to comment blind. Said so. I do think he could read all the info on Space-Tech and might venture a guarded opinion about compatibility. One poster here has proposed sending him one of the Super Rectifiers. He may well comment then if that is the case.

Whatever.  

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #136 - 09/06/22 at 14:06:30

I posted that because it is an absolute fact, not conjecture.

As for reviewing the real thing, I suppose that’s possible but right now he’s too busy preparing for Decfest.

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #137 - 09/06/22 at 14:07:03

Oh. LOL.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #138 - 09/06/22 at 14:08:50

Why the laughter?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #139 - 09/06/22 at 14:10:40

NO comment.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #140 - 09/06/22 at 14:11:53

Good. That’s better yet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #141 - 09/06/22 at 14:14:53

tempest62 wrote on 09/06/22 at 14:06:30:
As for reviewing the real thing, I suppose that’s possible but right now he’s too busy preparing for Decfest.

Brad

DUH. I never stated I expected otherwise.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #142 - 09/06/22 at 14:22:07

Quote:
DUH. I never stated I expected otherwise.

I posted that for general consumption. It’s not always all about you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #143 - 09/06/22 at 14:25:34

I'm well aware. I posted because you replied to my post. I decided to reply. I'll go back to deciding not to.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #144 - 09/09/22 at 17:42:07

So my space-tech labs 300B amp touched down yesterday, and based on my (admittedly limited) experience these guys are fully legit and I would not hesitate to do business with them. My 300B tubes only have a handful of hours on them so I don't want to say a whole lot about the sound beyond it is really good (and getting better as the tubes start to break in) and actually surprisingly similar to my UFOs. One of the things that attracted me to the amp was that it uses 6S[N|L]7s for input so I have a lot of options for tube rolling once the power tubes settle in. JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #145 - 09/09/22 at 17:55:43

Awesome CA--keep us posted as this amp seasons.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 09/09/22 at 22:25:39

I've been thinking about the technology and the external rectifier may be the HIFI bargain of the century.  It's basically converting any amp into a 25th anniversary edition.  Steve charges $2000 dollars to convert a SE84UFO into  SEUFO25 with the major change being:
"3 independent tube-regulated power supplies - one for each audio tube.
Vacuum-tube rectification - brute force power supply that is oversized by 261%.

Is that really that different from what the Space Tech Labs Ultra Rectifier is doing?  (especially if you have mono blocks).

I'm just wondering what my 25th Anniversary Dynaco St-70 could sound like?

Also by my findings the dollar is a lot stronger than the CAD so his US dollar calculations may not be accurate.  

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #147 - 09/18/22 at 21:17:36

I've had my 300B amp for about a week and half now. I've got over a hundred hours on my "hundred buck" 300B tubes and rolled through a fair number of input tubes. My plan had been to listen exclusively to the 300B amp for 2 weeks and then go back to my UFOs for comparison, but I couldn't wait. So this morning fired them up, with my favorite TFK PCC189 input tube, and the comparison is fascinating.

The TL;DR is they are both outstanding amps, and the sound is similar in some ways but different enough in others that I'd have a hard time choosing which one I like better (more on that below). And, for the purposes of this thread IMO Space-tech is the real deal and if you are interested in any of their stuff I would not hesitate to contact them with questions.

Re: comparisons; the Space-tech amp definitely has juicier low frequencies. It doesn't go lower than the UFOs, but there is more energy in the lower octaves, and the bass is extremely tight. No flab. The UFOs have more high end air and transparency.  Both amps have a big sound stage beyond the speakers and floor to ceiling, but with the 300B the images are bigger, and feel more solid. Perhaps this is what posters mean by "density" which is something I never really understood. The UFOs have better depth front to back, but it my room that isn't going to be great even best case. They both have that elusive tube yumminess, if anything the 300B amp errs on the side of too much, and is missing a tiny bit of detail compared to Decware.

Back to me, I'm not really sure where to go from here. I never considered being a "2 amp guy" and I bought the 300B amp (and relatively cheap 300B tubes) with pretty low expectations, because I've always been #300Bcurious, the balanced input circuit was interesting and it used 6SN7 tubes for input and I have a bunch of options for those. I figured the amp was cheap enough I could play around with it for a while and then sell it. But now I'm thinking about "WTF expensive" 300B tubes and holding on to it for the long term. But I have a pair of UFO25s sitting at 514 on the wait list and I really want them too. This is certainly a good "problem" to have, I guess I just need to live with the amp some more, and maybe get some therapy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #148 - 09/18/22 at 22:21:50

Thanks for the impressions! Sounds as if it is a good amp and reinforces my desire to try the Sarah when my number comes up!

I too will then have two top tier amps and decisions to make. Having lived in third world countries and had a poor youth these first world problems are less fretting.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 09/18/22 at 22:37:31

Thanks for sharing CAJames.  Similar to Lon, your experience also makes me even more curious (and anxious) to hear Sarah at Decfest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print