04/27/24 at 22:34:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello, my first post (Read 2161 times)
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Hello, my first post
09/04/23 at 23:34:50

Hi. I’ve been lurking here for some time and thought it was time to finally break the ice.  :)
I have about 40 years experience with tube amps of various sorts from high wattage to low wattage SETs, hifi, lowfi, professional recording studios, and live sound reinforcement. I started my interests in vinyl, reel to reel, and cassette tapes, as well as 2 inch analog tape in the recording studios and primarily stream digital now.
Despite being around the block a time or two I have learned a lot reading this forum and hope to contribute back at least a small fraction compared to what I have learned.
One of the things at the forefront of my thoughts reading through years of posts today is more about what i have learned from what is not said as much as what is said. Reading the various topics it feels as though we can really get to know the individual members (a really positive thing after two years of pandemic!). We get to know their musical tastes, their systems, their rooms, etc. I will hopefully share more about myself in the future. I can’t help but think that many of the recommendations and experiences shared here should come with a caveat or handicap statement. For example if someone is making tube recommendations and they primarily listen to old recordings and don’t have any room treatment then a person with a properly treated room listening to music that represents a full sound spectrum would have a drastically different experience with those tubes. Similarly a vinyl listener may have a very different experience with a set of speakers than a digital listener.
Not to criticize, and no ill feelings intended. We all appreciate music, different music, for our own aspirations. But thinking about what I have to contribute to these threads would be to encourage the reader to taker the recommendations contained herein and cross reference with more about the  person posting, and read between the lines.
Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Gilf

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Hello, my first post
Reply #1 - 09/04/23 at 23:44:42

Welcome Gilf. There are a lot of nice folks on the Decware Forum. It's helpful to get insights from posters on different equipment, speakers and the inevitable tube rolling efforts. Glad to have you around and look forward to your thoughts.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/23 at 00:04:56

Welcome aboard Gilf! I look forward to learning from your four decades worth of experience. Excellent point about the caveats w.r.t. different rooms, treatments, musical tastes, and personal preferences to focus on or to tune out (no pun intended) certain frequencies.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/05/23 at 01:30:37

Welcome Gilf! What is special here is that we get to know each other, and most of us talk about our rooms, tastes in music and sound, and are willing to help. Glad you are joining us and not lurking in the shadows. Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/05/23 at 01:31:37

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to future discussions.  [smiley=peanuts05.gif]

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/06/23 at 19:05:53

Welcome! Glad you are here! I need all the help I can get, and this outfit is great for that! I do not know a damn thing about anything!......... Except some of what I have learned and been helped with right here..(I mean that) Tongue All kidding aside....welcome! You're in a good spot here.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/06/23 at 20:17:34

Welcome!!!   Smiley

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #7 - 09/09/23 at 16:53:39

Another new poster! YEAH!

I lurked off and on myself for quite a while... Glad to have you!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 09/09/23 at 20:16:11

Welcome aboard all seekers! This forum offers great info, experiences, the inside track to Steve's development process from idea to product. Oh, and yes there is a fair amount of humor here also. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/09/23 at 21:17:19

Glad to see you onboard, Gilf!

Your experiences are not that far off from my own. Although it was '05 when I bought my first Decware products, I still use two of them.

Many years in sound reinforcement and I can help any band sound better even if I just use their own gear. It's what I do, retired and all.

Keep on reading. There is a lot here. Do not miss any of Steve's articles or White Papers.

Welcome!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/10/23 at 00:06:51

Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
For example if someone is making tube recommendations and they primarily listen to old recordings and don’t have any room treatment then a person with a properly treated room listening to music that represents a full sound spectrum would have a drastically different experience with those tubes. Similarly a vinyl listener may have a very different experience with a set of speakers than a digital listener.

One of the things I enjoy and why I participate on this forum is members overall do a good job of explaining why the like or dislike something. I find this a valuable exchange.

The biggest divide on the forum I'm guessing is SET vs PP/ultra-linear sound. I find it fascinating and love hearing both sides discussing it with details, explanations and analogies. I'm in the PP/UL camp Lon is in the SET camp. Lon is an incredible wealth of knowledge of tubes and how they sound. If Lon says a 6922 sounds like XYZ I know I'll hear the same thing he is hearing in my Torii MK5. His personal preferences are different than mine. He does a great job of describing how different tubes sound different. Lon is also ultra sensitive to high frequencies and if they are too in your face or pronounced he won't like the tube. Will another member is excellent at describing what he hears and differences between tubes components and modifications. Reading the posts where they go back and forth is the golden age of internet forums and it's still happening today. They have different preferences and goals, yet they build off of what each other report and everyone who reads is enriched by the exchange.

Same old DD has an epic thread riffing on his continuing journey of enjoying music and hifi.

There are some other threads that have been going on for years and the OP only posted a few times and they are great threads!

So yes, we all have difference experiences and preferences. The beautiful thing about this forum is that we come together and build from what each other have to offer.

So welcome, share and enjoy.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/10/23 at 05:29:01

Excellent lay of the land by GroovySauce. Add him to the list of forum members who you should pay close attention to.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print