Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 04:35:30 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers (Read 49920 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers
Reply #250 - 01/05/23 at 00:03:52

Kamran, I’m encouraging you to try a chair. Moving from far field to near field does sounds very different. You will want to play with toe in as you move too. If you do like the new listening position, adding moving a chair isn’t much more Smiley

Glad you are enjoying the Pulse! My ZENith MK3 took a month or so to settle in.

Sean, monkey coffins or open baffles they sound better away from the walls. Placement is room specific and is for most people decided by a lot of compromises. 95% of setups 10-12” from the front wall will actually give you a bass boost and loose sound stage. Room modes / treatment will dictate if you hear more or less bass based on listening position.

Palomino brings up something that until you experience it, it’s hard to really get. Decware amps do make speakers disappear.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #251 - 01/05/23 at 02:00:20

Since I got into Decware with an early version of an SE34, later to morph into a Racheal, I also got a nice pair of Bob's MG944s, and never heard the speakers since. HR-1s also... no association between the sounds of players and speakers. In my room, though not a traditional 3 point setup and toe, the soundstage is really good, deep, layered, and wide. No doubt soundstage was a consideration in the speaker designs, but here, both of these two creations of Zygi's are overall relatively equal at sound stage. What makes the soundstage better seems to be synergistic refinement of all the gear, from power and cables right through to the speaker placement and toe and room. If the sound is not too forceful for this lively room, and there is better spectral balance and less smearing/more complete space and resolution, the stage is better. And since everything effects these things, everything matters.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 01/05/23 at 02:47:45

GroovySauce: It’s interesting that you encouraged the use of the chair.  I’ve been thinking about testing the very thing.  I can easily bring a folding chair downstairs to complete the equilateral triangle and see what gives.  Will let you know…though I really love my couch and ottoman setup.

Which brings me to update with another report on the sonics.  The Pulse is seriously hampering my ability to distinguish the performance of the streamer from the capability of the Fast 15 in Randy’s beautiful baffle, but what I can report is that it’s sounding heavenly.  The most interesting change in the past couple of days is bass.  It was getting better and better  and with the Pulse, it took another considerable jump.  I stopped keeping a track of the number of hours I have on the driver, but I bet it’s close to 600 (if not more).  With every passing day, the urge to experiment with the W15 bass driver is waning.  In my 13 x 17 room (with 7 inch ceiling), these drivers are kicking ass in all departments.  

And this is with a 5 wpc 6V6 power tube on my Had amp.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want to tinker with a bass driver someday, but I have absolutely no urgency to do so.  I also find it telling that Steve doesn’t use a bass driver in his listening room either.

I finally showed off the drivers to some friends (non-audiophiles) who have been following my journey and who were bigs fans of my Klipsch towers and they were blown away.  One person said:

“This was insane”

And another said:

“Before I felt the sound coming from the tower speakers like a wall of sound hitting my face and now, I can’t tell if the new OB speakers are even playing and sound is more room filling.”

In other words, he was talking about the soundstage and how bigger and precise it is.  It was good to get an unbiased validation that this move to OB has been a success.

No doubt, the addition of the Holo Spring 3 KTE and Pulse are lending to this.

Tom mentioned the disappearing act in his post as well and that has to be the #1 favorite thing about these speakers.  I would even say that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to localize them, which is one of the reasons I don’t want to mess with anything right now.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #253 - 01/06/23 at 05:47:58

I feel like life has been a never ending series of break-in since November.  First the DAC, then the Fast 15s and now the streaming transport.  I’ve purposely waited to re-listen to Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions until this cycle was done—so roughly a 2.5 month gap.

Finished the album around 7 pm and jazzed to report that this was the best listening session to date.  Much more sense of the room (the Church), wider soundstage, great imaging and tonally rich.  I was also able to pick up some disturbances the ambisonic mic was catching (shuffling perhaps of either the musicians or their gear?), which was never apparent before but makes sense for a pseudo live act more or less done in one setting. Two tracks sounded particularly wonderful in this session:

Postcard Blues—the thing that totally blew me away (as hilarious as it sounds) was the foot tapping. I was sitting in darkness with my eyes closed and when the foot tapping started, it gave me such a startle as if (to use a cliche) it was coming from my listening room.  Spooky good.  

Walking After Midnight: Literally everything was spectacular about this track— the harmonica, the vocals, the accordion, and the guitar.  Couldn’t get enough.  Every song on this album gives you a sense of space and this track provides it in spades.  Probably my favorite.

Went on a wild goose chase googling this album and besides other sites, found a 5 year old Decware thread where this and other songs were discussed.  I plan to check them all.  Did experiment with a few and the one that just astounded me was ‘Calypso Minor’ by Abdullah Ibrahim—the piano attack in that track…my God! Added to my instrumental playlist and a mental note to listen to the entire album.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 01/06/23 at 12:18:56

Those are certainly some oldies but goodies that I haven't listened to since a number of changes.  Thanks for the reminder and glad you are enjoying your system.  I intend to play them next listening session. Great for spatial cues.

Some other oldies but goodies I use to test my system:

Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman.  I listen for separation in the voices, particularly Christine McVie's in the first chorus.  Compare to the second chorus (where her voice is more distinct).  If her voice is too merged together with the other voices in the first chorus, I keep tweaking.

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin' - this was a Paul McGowan recommendation.  Listen for the faint echo just before the verse that starts with "this old world".  I think he noted that this was caused by tape bleed through in the mastering process.  I've made tweaks to my system where this was less audible so I changed things back or kept tweaking. Some people also listen to the cymbals at the beginning of the song as a realistic reproduction/decay test.

Boz Scaggs - Here's to you.  Another Paul McGowan suggested track.  This is one of my low bass tests.  Right before he begins singing, a low 20hz bass tone is played.  If your system can reproduce it, you hear it, if not, a hole appears in the song.

There are probably others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #255 - 01/06/23 at 18:35:50

Some will scoff at this, but I have actually brought in some '80s soft pop classics into my judgemental practices. Some old forgotten hits that have so much incredible depth and clarity.

Time to laugh, not my normal relaxation feel good fare, But very demanding recordings and quite amazing when reproduced well as a test base ...

Pablo Cruise, Toto, Genn Frey, Diana Ross, Fifth Dimension, Joni Mitchell, Boston, Dan Fogelberg, Chicago, Gino Vanelli, Earth Wind And Fire and, sit down and get ready for it ... Michael Jackson.
I'm going to second some Boz Scaggs efforts.
The list could go on, but pick one up that you don't hate and keep your mind open for a spin or two.
So much depth and orchestration on many of these old tracks and they often sound fine coming from a two inch speaker via bluetooth, but to sit and discover what was happening in the studio at the time can be a whole new adventure.
Even though I did not care about much of this music when it was fresh, many old Top 40 hits from the '70s and '80s deserve an additional exploration, if you're up for it.

Grain of salt, YMMV, JMHO and all that, but you might give some of these a second try.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #256 - 01/06/23 at 21:50:22

Michael Jackson was a staple at our CDApS get togethers.   From the 60s, I like Blood Sweat and Tears.  Well recorded.  And Emerson Lake and Palmer - Lucky Man.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #257 - 01/08/23 at 02:40:34

Tom thanks for the suggestions.  I think you meant to say “Thanks to You” vs. “Here’s to You”.  I actually listened to this track the first time at Decware and liked it and added played it in my own rig after I got back.  What I can tell you is that it sounds much better with the Fast 15s and new DAC/Streamer combo. I don’t hear the 20Hz tone since the 15s have a steep roll off at 40Hz.  That said I tried listening to the segment multiple times yesterday and on my final try, I did detect something was going on before Boz starts singing, but it was barely audible.  Didn’t take away from enjoying the track though.

Blackbess—Thanks for your suggestions too.  I grew up as MJ fan so it was good to revisit yesterday and as suspected, it’s the best I’ve heard MJ sound.  One thing was very interesting though.  There are two Thriller albums on Qobuz.  The regular high-res Thriller sounded frankly like shit.  However, the 25th anniversary Super Deluxe version was just sublime!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #258 - 01/09/23 at 14:46:19

Yeah Kamran, thanks to you.  Sorry

I listened to all CD rips this weekend thanks to you (ha, ha) and enjoyed the music very much.  Honestly, I think streaming loses something.

Anyway, if I get around to it, I'll post the playlist. Lonely Raven had me play many of those songs at Decfest this year as several are his reference tracks, like Yellowbrick Road. He, Bad Wolf and/or Progrobb used to get together a couple times of year and listen to music/swap out geat etc.  We jokingly called it the Chicago Decware Appreciation Society or CDApS.

I could really use some input on my system right now and these get togethers were a great (and sometimes painful) way to see what others think of your rig.  I've also heard some great DACs, amps and speakers in my room.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #259 - 01/14/23 at 23:52:43

Quote:
I listened to all CD rips this weekend thanks to you (ha, ha) and enjoyed the music very much.  

Haha

Quote:
Anyway, if I get around to it, I'll post the playlist.

Please do share!

So I’ve been experimenting with nearfield listening for the past week as advised by GrroovySauce.  I had the kids help me create an equilateral triangle and luckily I found a nice cushioned chair (the foldable chairs were a non-starter for my behind).  I will try and share some pictures.  Anyways, the first couple of days, I felt the jury was still out whether nearfield was a game changer necessarily, but when I switched my 6V6 and 5Y3 rectifier back to my Gold Lion KT77 and Sophia Electric Aqua 274b combo—-my God! The soundstage exploded in all directions, substantially more holographic, vocals more in the room, the decay improved, bass improved, dynamics improved, tonality of instruments improved, and heard micro details in tracks that I missed before.  The impact of the drum hits is just sublime.  I hate fact that I can’t pinpoint the source of the changes,

1) Is it the tubes?
2) Is it the new nearfield listening position
3) is it the new DAC and especially streaming transport breaking in.

That’s what you get by trying to do too many things at once…

During the past couple of days, I went through Sarah Bareilles’ Live album, and felt more there then the previous listening sessions. In fact, at one stage, when she was teasing the audience, I burst out laughing.  Literally everything I’ve played during the past 3 days (including a Jeff Beck playlist on Qobuz) has sounded sublime. Earlier today, I was playing the Greatest Hits of Queen and it was by far, the best that album has ever sounded in my rig.  It has impact, it has soundstage, and imaging so spooky that my heart skipped a beat when I had my eyes closed and heard a voice at the far right of the room, thinking someone was in the room….but no, it was part of the track.

Suffice to say, having a lot of fun….

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #260 - 01/15/23 at 00:18:28

In my opinion it may be the Aqua 274B making the sound stage improvements--my sound stage presentation certainly improves when I put them in the Monoblocks.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #261 - 01/15/23 at 02:05:53

Lon, I don’t disagree.  Love that rectifier.  That said, forgot to add bullet 4 for completeness:

4) The Fast 15s still breaking in.  Conservatively—600 hrs to date.

Too many variables to account for but at the end of the day, what matters most is that it’s all gelling together quite nicely.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #262 - 01/15/23 at 02:54:40

Admittedly it may be several factors. I'm so glad you hit a new plateau, and you could be still moving towards improving sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #263 - 01/15/23 at 04:28:25

Kamran, that triangle looks to be fairly close field to me.
I'll bet it can sound amazing!
To me, I don't care where the speakers end up as long as they do not give themselves away.

I have blue tape all over my floor right now as well, with notes scribbled on half of the marks, not all positive.

It really looks like your room is coming together nicely!

Well done!

I notice some Klipsch gear. Are those subwoofers Klipsch efforts as well?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #264 - 01/15/23 at 05:17:14

Thanks Sane Old DD!

I was recently encouraged to try nearfield listening so trying that out for the first time with good results. About 6 ft 4 inches on all sides and yes, the speakers dissapear.

The subs are a pair of SVS PB 2000 Pro’s, exclusively used for HT. Not really optimal for 2 channel.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #265 - 01/15/23 at 16:34:49

Kamran, sometimes when tinkering with speaker placement I’ll pull them forward to about 2 ft. in front of the listening position and pointed at the back wall, keeping them about 11 ft. apart. It takes the disappearing act to a whole new level. I imagine you’re hearing mostly the back of the speaker at this point with little difference between the back and the reflections. Personal room space and treatment probably have a lot to do with the success of this placement. I would probably leave them in this setup all the time if it wasn’t such an intrusive placement in the room.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #266 - 01/15/23 at 20:27:08

Mine are six feets away from me, that shocked a pair of friends who were not used to such a close listening, for me it is ideal and is mandatory when you play at night and have very low level.
I smiled a day when I saw Steve Guttenberg saying that the best listenings sessions were the nearer to the speakers, it has always been obvious to me.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #267 - 01/15/23 at 21:51:45

Hi Manny. 2’ in front of listening position & 11’ apart? That is very interesting.

What toe in are you using with that setup?

Thanks,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #268 - 01/15/23 at 23:42:53

Hey, Geno- zero toe-in, just firing straight against the back wall.
A little context, I was experimenting one day and had no toe-in, starting at the front wall and just kept moving the speakers closer and closer to me while keeping them the same distance apart. All of a sudden everything just clicked. The speakers were practically on either side of me, but pointed straight back.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #269 - 01/16/23 at 02:55:41

Mannytheseacow—that’s some radical placement.  Now that I am more comfortable with nearfield listening, I may try it out one of these days.  For now things are sounding so great that I don’t want to touch a thing (mental note for myself to put a blue tape at the base of the baffles and peel off the equilateral triangle tape cuts outs—I don’t want to test my significant others patience!).

Today, I discovered Chantal Chamberland—listened to her last released album “Temptation” which are basically covers of famous songs.  My hands down favorite was (aptly named)  ‘I put a spell on you’.  The guitar, stage right was literally on top of my head, as if there were speakers in the ceiling (well there are actually speakers in the ceiling but for HT).  The immersion was next level.

That said, my favorite track of the day was Phil Collin’s “In the Air Tonight”.  I’ve played this favorite of mine countless times, waiting for the drums at the end but this time it was different in some meaningful ways.  The whole time leading up to the drums, I felt the song emotionally as it unwinded and unwinded, with every second the tension increasing, increasing until the magic happened.  And let me tell you….those drums sounded absolutely magnificent.  The best I’ve ever heard.  The reverb technique on the whole track and especially the drums, make it sound like it was a live song on a huge Live Aid type of setting, yet it was done in a studio. The impact and the scale left me speechless.  This was always Phil’s signature song and now I know why….

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #270 - 01/18/23 at 03:18:50

Two interesting updates (well, at least one).

My wife finally commented on the equilateral tape cut outs in the listening room and asked me when I was planning to peel them off as it

[quote] “looks like you’re conducting a satanic ritual in the basement” [/unquote]

Still laughing at that one….

To share some bad news, I think my beloved Gold Lion KT 77s have become noisy and microphonic.  I cleaned all the preamp and amp tubes, switched sides and I still hear sputtering noises (mostly from one channel), turned off the tube stage on my Freya +preamp and then completely shut it down (though I should have turned off the amp first if I recall gear turnoff etiquette).  I can still hear the sputtering noise, so it ain’t the preamp tubes.

Also, each time I press a button on the preamp (mute or tube stage), I hear a click from the speakers-which is leading me to believe it has also turned microphonic.

Today, I took the K77’s out and replaced it with Psvane KT88s and no sputter and no microphony.  It’s a shame really.  I have just under 500 hrs on the pair.  I wrote to good ol uncle Kev (or his team rather) to investigate whether they will be kind enough to send me replacement tubes.

In the grand scheme of things, I can barely detect the noise when music is playing so all is not lost necessarily but it should be lasting much more (10x more?) at least before developing such problems.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #271 - 01/18/23 at 04:17:08

I think just to mess with the wife, you need at least one Egyptian hieroglyph made from the blue tape on the floor.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #272 - 01/18/23 at 05:23:17

Haha—I see myself googling Egyptian hieroglyphs in the near future!

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #273 - 01/18/23 at 12:44:44

Best be careful or your wife may tape you to the floor.😂

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #274 - 01/18/23 at 13:16:04

I wouldn't dare to even think of "tape on the floor", I would be thrown over board within minutes !  [smiley=10.gif]
No, I use the carpet drawning patterns .....a lot safer ! Smiley

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #275 - 01/18/23 at 18:34:08

Coming soon:

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #276 - 01/18/23 at 19:37:11

Steve,

That took a bit back upon first glance. Before I focused I thought it was a crossover meant to go on the back of a speaker. Then I realized it wasn't made for that. So now, I assume this is a 'corrective device' for some known speaker situation?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #277 - 01/18/23 at 19:47:53

Quote:
Best be careful or your wife may tape you to the floor.😂

Haha

Quote:
Coming soon:

Whoa! Is that the network (aka notch filter) you developed for the Fast 15? If so, that is a great option to purchase pre-made so it can be plug and play though I wonder for amps that have binding posts on the back, how that would fit.  It’s seems easier for Decware amps given the binding posts are on top of the chassis.  Also, assuming one would need two pairs of single ended male to female adapters to connect the two binding posts.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #278 - 01/18/23 at 20:54:05

Could it be made for the speaker side instead of the amp side ? I won't have the space on shelve for this. OK I not really concerned because I guess this is for the Fast 15, but some others may have the same problem.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #279 - 01/19/23 at 00:08:17

Yes, this is the network for the Fast-15.  It was designed to go at the amplifier end rather than the speaker end although it works both ways.  

The difference I heard using ZFOCUS wire was better transparency with the filter placed at the amplifier.  I liked the idea of having less amplitude at those frequencies in the speaker wire vs. putting them through the wire and then filtering it off just before the speaker.  

That said you could treat it like any other crossover and solder two wires to it and connect them to your drivers.
It's fun to try it both places and see if you can hear a difference.

I'll have them available in a few weeks time.  Price will be $90 for a pair.  They will be made in mirror images to work with Decware amps, but for non-decware amps they can be made both the same.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #280 - 01/19/23 at 02:39:08

Steve that sounds like a fair price. I might just wait for my Decware amp before pulling the trigger on the network so I don’t have to order twice.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 01/19/23 at 17:03:22

Kamran, Are you exactly equilateral? I find that having the listening position slightly further than the distance between the speaker center gives the best sound.

I went through a few months of seasoning a few components at the same time. It does get difficult to distinguish what is what. As long as you are heading in the direction you want to go all is well. Adding to that is to understand how the changes change the sound and lock that away for the future. If there is a small change you want to make to the sound recall how different things changed the sound and make changes based on that—this is really applicable to tubes.

DD, I say “audiophile” records are generally overrated. Most of the music I listen to isn’t up to “audiophile” standards. That said, as your system gets more resolving the depth of some of these “lesser” recordings is incredibly deep!

I encourage everyone to get a laser measure and a laser level. I use mine all the time. For audio and nonaudio-related things.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #282 - 01/19/23 at 17:45:24

I've been burning in my Fast15 speakers and already know that I cannot live long term with the boosted highs. Being able to purchase the network from Decware will be very welcomed in my system.

Steve, I am very glad you are thinking ahead and providing a very needed niche product. Thank you.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 01/19/23 at 18:39:02

Hey, Groovy, I don't think you meant that comment for me, but if I've mislead someone somewhere along the way, I apologize.

I don't own much in the way of "audiophile" media. I do have a handful of downloaded digital tracks that were presented as similar, but they are not the ones I use to judge my system performance.
I also have bought a double CD of "sampler pack" hi res recordings. Not sure how that works since they are just CDs.
I'm not sure I even played it through once. It's OK, but I don't really listen for that set of reasons.

I mostly just want to hear good music sound better.

I do run an old rusty computer (runnning XP with everything other than sound turned off and never allowed to even sniff the internet) set up as a music server in my rig.

It has hard drives full of hi-res live tape conversions from my glory days that I treasure and quite a few needle drops saved in hi res from my own LP collection.

Nothing really "audiophile" but I get by just fine.

... and I agree with your comment. Most of that is overhyped.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #284 - 01/20/23 at 14:17:00

GroovySauce—I was at exactly equilateral. Based on your advice, I’ve moved back one feet and will continue to test.

Also, based on your advice, I bought a Bosch Laser measure and having a lot of fun with it!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #285 - 01/24/23 at 04:02:39

I have been doing some comparisons between the Fast 15 with the above network vs. the F15 for the past week now since the Fast 15's are finally fully broken in.  I haven't listened the F15 for the entire time since getting the Fast 15 because I wanted to see what happened when I went back listening to the F15's again.

From this new perspective of coming off the Fast 15 with network, the F15's for the first time sounded a touch dry by comparison.

I didn't see that coming.  Anyway the Fast 15's in the large baffles on Sarah is a favorite, especially if you want to listen a couple dB louder than normal. : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #286 - 01/25/23 at 03:49:48

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #287 - 01/25/23 at 23:48:55

Thanks Steve—this was really useful to educate myself to the exact orientation of the speaker inputs on each channel.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #288 - 01/27/23 at 02:40:03

Quote:
Steve that sounds like a fair price. I might just wait for my Decware amp before pulling the trigger on the network so I don’t have to order twice.

My guess is that you might regret waiting so long.  For anyone on this tread that want's to try a pair, I will wave the restock fee and shipping is minor due to the small size.

Steve

https://www.decwareproducts.com/product-page/fast-15-network

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #289 - 01/27/23 at 03:24:37

Oh, this went up earlier than I expected!  I actually just looked at the binding posts on the Dennis Had amp quickly and the way it is laid out on the back, there is going to be a spacing issue as the single ended inputs are sandwiched between both pairs of binding posts. I don’t think I will be able to properly insert the network.

That said, I might still buy it and if I can’t use it on the current amp, I know that I’ll be set for Sarah.  But, let me get through the dedicated line install project first and set a baseline.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #290 - 01/27/23 at 07:14:07

Just out of curiosity, is there still a bypass switch included on the Network scheme?  Or was that just for test purposes in order to get the component values dialed in?
Not clear in the images posted.

I don't own the Fast15s yet, but the possibility is still favored even though I really like my original F15s so far.
That extra 2/3 octave of low end extension is highly compelling.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #291 - 01/27/23 at 10:05:02

DD,

Why would there be a need for a bypass switch in Steve's design?

The photos show different amps with the network. I believe that switch is use for impedance matching on the one with a switch.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #292 - 01/27/23 at 14:39:58

JBz, think about it for a moment.
Your question is a derivation from the assumption that what ever my (not yet acquired, but soon - later production, possibly) new drivers measure, the ones Steve has acquired are identical in every meaningful way to the ones I will acquire in the future.

I have never seen this happen consistently with mechanical functions.

But, you're right. I do not believe that there is a bypass switch included, as per his published schematic.
Thanks for helping me to define my reasoning.

Who knows. At these frequencies, someone might want to add a tiny bypass cap.

IP Logged
JEllis25
Verified Member

Reply #293 - 02/02/23 at 18:43:15

Hi Steve,

Is the network designed for certain baffle designs only or will it work with all things Fast-15.

Thank you,

-John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #294 - 02/04/23 at 00:43:31

Love the sunlight hitting the baffle at an angle.

instagram downloader firefox

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #295 - 02/04/23 at 01:11:07

Baffle porn.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #296 - 02/04/23 at 02:29:35

Nice Kamran!

Have you experimented any with tilting the speaker back? It can make a difference. When I still had my Randy baffles, I preferred mine with a tilt. Steve is the one that made the idea known.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #297 - 02/04/23 at 03:43:17

Thanks Geno and what a coincidence. I’ve been thinking about doing the same, and was meaning to pick your brain.  Do you use something like an Auralex isolation pad under the OB base? If so, how thick is it—so I can determine how much tilt is necessary?  I do wonder how that impacts the bass response decoupling it from the floor, but it’s worth checking out.  Would love more insight and or pictures you can share on this.  I am sure it will be helpful to other members as well.  

One of the reasons I had Auralex or something similar in mind, is because I do want to de-couple my SVS subs and was wondering while I’m at it, why not try a similar solution for the baffles.  This is what I was looking at potentially:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pJiu7VUNX4V/p_927MOPADXL/Auralex-MoPAD-XL.html?XVI...

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #298 - 02/04/23 at 04:04:57

Kamran,

Those should work well! I like that they come with wedges. That way you can see what angle you like best. And decoupled at the same time.

My method was much more crude, and did nothing as far as decoupling. I just had a 2” square block across the front edge.

You can experiment to see what you like best, but you may Very well end up with them back flat on the ground. It comes down to personal preference.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #299 - 02/04/23 at 04:07:24

An easy way to experiment with speaker tilt is to use two door stops on each side of speaker. I did this with my OB for awhile.  Once you find a preference, something more permanent can be designed.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print