Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 00:49:01 

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 149206 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #1100 - 07/25/23 at 15:59:12

Hopefully you'll never experience this, but when a rectifier is badly suited for its application or aging. . . or whatever just sometimes . . . When powered on there's a little arc, a tiny lightning bolt if you will, that flashes within the tube--I usually see it happening at the top as I turn the amp on either from the regenerator (main system, amp on lowest shelf) or switching on while standing over the amp or preamp which is low down on a stand in my other two systems, and I'm looking right down on the rectifier.

It's not a good thing, a scary thing if you have an expensive fuse in the amp!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1101 - 07/25/23 at 16:58:36

My Decware-branded 5U4G when paired with the WE300Bs arced a couple of times and once even made a noise that scared the crap out of me. I am happy I like the sound of the Cryotone 5AR4 because they also are slow-start and are hopefully causing less stress on the tubes and internals.

I'm not sensitive to hum, so long as it's not annoying from my listening position I'm fine. It's just that Steve made mention earlier in the thread that we could expect a slight amount of hum from 100dB speakers...and that prompted people in other forums to conclude that the Sarah is a poor design that hums...

So, one of the things I've been listening for is "hum" with my 95dB speakers, and then noted how changing the tubes changed the "hum". I was very happy to know that there wasn't any hum with some tube sets, so I'm good...lmao.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1102 - 07/25/23 at 17:57:51

An AC heater will alway have more noise than a DC heater and can be seen on an oscilloscope or heard if you have very high sensitivity speakers. Some people say that AC sounds better if the design has a relatively low hum, and based on your speakers and seating distance...and sensitivity to it.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1103 - 07/25/23 at 18:04:45

Quote:
Posted by: Ghostship      Posted on: Today at 08:58:36

...It's just that Steve made mention earlier in the thread that we could expect a slight amount of hum from 100dB speakers...and that prompted people in other forums to conclude that the Sarah is a poor design that hums...

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1104 - 07/25/23 at 21:36:14

That's what I've read too Junker. I'm not sensitive to hum as far as a tiny bit of it bothering me, but I can hear hum pretty clearly even at very low levels. That's been my experience with tube amps ever since my Dad's Dynaco set-up of the early 'sixties through the early 'nineties. I almost always here a tiny bit. The notable exceptions being my CSP3 and Taboo IV with the Anniversary mods--with headphones those are dead quiet. The Monoblocks are pretty darn nearly hum-free with the HR-1 speakers.

It may well be that the Sophia Electric Classic 300B (which were bought as a demo pair, so not brand new, unbroken in entirely) are the source of the hum. I don't have any other 300B to compare. Either way I'm perfectly fine with the tiny bit produced.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1105 - 07/25/23 at 22:04:28

Yeah I'm used to it with my Shindo 6V6 push-pull too. Thing is that push-pull should have common mode cancelation of a lot of that hum, but it is a small integrated and solid-state rectified with well over 100dB speakers. Same here... I can hear it w/o music playing from seating position but not at all with any content playing. SETs lack that common mode noise rejection so no way to completely eliminate it as I understand it.

I thought this was a pretty good post on the issue. It's common to all SET designs apparently and (linear? square?) proportional to the heater voltage for that tube type: 2A3<300B<845 (e.g.)

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4925#p41856

I'm pretty sure those copper transformer shields will help lower the noise floor too. I'd love to see the oscilloscope difference with those installed, but they sure look good. I ordered them too. Wink

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #1106 - 07/25/23 at 22:06:20

Referring to Sarah's hum, Ghostship said

I'm not sensitive to hum, so long as it's not annoying from my listening position, I'm fine. It's just that Steve made mention earlier in the thread that we could expect a slight amount of hum from 100dB speakers...and that prompted people in other forums to conclude that the Sarah is a poor design that hums...

I would not think of design flaws, but this report concerns me as one who is sensitive to hum. After 12 months of waiting in line and another 12 to 18 months to go, I would be crestfallen if I could hear a hum from the listening position. I have had three Decware amps, and they all have some hum, but not from the listening chair. In one case, it took a lot of room treatment, but it quieted down.

Good to hear that it might be managed by tube choice. Thanks for the report. For me, an important topic to follow.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1107 - 07/25/23 at 22:09:39

Just on another personal note about hum...

I have had it in transformers from DC in the lines at my place in Santa Cruz. It's hard to eliminate because it could be coming from your neighbors house, your appliances, as well as noise from wifi and all of the digital devices around our homes that were not there 20 years ago.

Personally, I would seriously consider Decware's Isolation transformer. I have a Mr. T for my Shindo and will consider one from Decware as well. It could hum from the DC, but it's easy to place that out of the way, and it would lower a lot of noise and hum from the connected equipment and from being amplified if you are sensitive to it.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zlc

A lot of people think they have high sensitivity speakers that are really generously rated compared to compression driver horns like the Klipsch LaScala, and various horns from vintage Altec, Tannoy, etc. 90 @ 1m @ 2.83v is very different than 105dB rated for 1w at 16 ohms from 9-10 ft! I have to run my volume control down to where I almost lose channel balance with a 0.6v input.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1108 - 07/25/23 at 23:13:32

Junker wrote on 07/25/23 at 22:04:28:
I'm pretty sure those copper transformer shields will help lower the noise floor too. I'd love to see the oscilloscope difference with those installed, but they sure look good. I ordered them too. Wink

They may. They are just copper-plated though, not entirely copper, not sure how much would make a difference.

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1109 - 07/26/23 at 00:12:08

I didn’t realize that Lon! If it’s just cosmetic then I may remove that option. I thought they were stamped copper sheet.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1110 - 07/26/23 at 01:23:56

I’m pretty sure it’s cosmetic only.  That said, I’m having a change of heart (the copper has grown on me) after looking at endless pictures and I’m planning on upgrading.

On the subject of hum, is the hum pot making any impact?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1111 - 07/26/23 at 01:46:53

Well I may be wrong but I thought that was the word on this forum. That real copper end plates would be much more expensive.

I do hope I'm wrong. They are beautiful on my amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1112 - 07/26/23 at 02:49:35

Well, I'm not the definitive word, perhaps Steve will set us straight. I had assumed it was copper made but when this was first discussed the consensus here seemed to be that it was electro-plated. But I agree that it is expensive for that. . . though I have to say beautifully done, no question there. And no matter, I'm very glad to have them on mine.

Copper plate top. . . not sure. I actually think this top plate is my favorite of all those offered by Decware. Looks great in person.

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1113 - 07/26/23 at 02:52:02

Hey Lon thats true. I never saw anything about plating. Do you have any post links for that? I saw a few pics when he presented it but don’t remember it saying anything one way or another. I always assumed it was Cu with a clear coat.

Cool about that top plate Lon. I thought your 25th had a gorgeous plate so that’s high praise from you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1114 - 07/26/23 at 02:55:53

I'm about to go to bed so I'm not going to or able to search the thread for what may be there. I bet you can find it one way or another. See you on the other side.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1115 - 07/26/23 at 08:30:54

The power tranny copper cans are made of heavy gauge steel plated with copper. Quality copper plating on steel involves added processes to electro coat therefore the addition expense.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1116 - 07/26/23 at 09:45:18

Quote:
On the subject of hum, is the hum pot making any impact?

Yes, the hum pot knobs work. With the economy tube set I had zero hum, even with my ear right up against the speakers. When I swapped in the WE300Bs there was a hum, and the hum pot adjustments reduced the sound significantly, but not entirely.

Then again, hum can be caused by many sources. You can induce hum with these knobs to hear what it sounds like, then remove it again. The hum I was getting from tubes is clearly at a different frequency.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #1117 - 07/26/23 at 14:25:09

When I swapped in the WE300Bs there was a hum, and the hum pot adjustments reduced the sound significantly, but not entirely.

Ghostship, good information - thanks. What was left of the hum after using the hum pot with the WE300Bs, could that be heard from the listening position? I remember you have excellent cables (power and interconnects) overall. Do they contribute to minimizing the hum along with the pot?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1118 - 07/26/23 at 14:32:42

JBzen wrote on 07/26/23 at 08:30:54:
The power tranny copper cans are made of heavy gauge steel plated with copper. Quality copper plating on steel involves added processes to electro coat therefore the additional expense.

John

Thanks John.

That's a huge tranny and big end caps. Looks so formidable!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1119 - 07/26/23 at 15:17:52

Quote:
Posted by: Ghostship      Posted on: Today at 01:45:18

Yes, the hum pot knobs work...Then again, hum can be caused by many sources. You can induce hum with these knobs to hear what it sounds like, then remove it again. The hum I was getting from tubes is clearly at a different frequency.

Yes. Just to be clear the hum pots in a 300B amp like Sarah (and my non-Decware amp) have one specific purpose: to balance the AC heater current to the 300B tubes. Most other types of amps, including all other Decware amps, use DC for the heater/filament current so this removes one special kind of hum. With the pots out of adjustment you can clearly hear 60 Hz hum that increases or decreases as you move the pots. And in general you can completely remove it when you get the pots adjusted correctly.

Beyond that my experience is the same as Ghostship's: with some 300B tubes once the pots are adjusted the amp is quiet. But with my Takatsuki there is a bit of 120 Hz buzz that remains and is unaffected by the hum pot. As the amp warms up the hum is reduced, but it never goes away. Hum is a trigger for me too, but the Takatsuki tubes are so much better than the (quiet) Chinese tubes I deal with it.

I think the bottom line is if you get a 300B amp you're going to have to be prepared to deal with some hum. If it is a problem you'll (almost certainly) be able to deal with it by swapping 300B tubes, but you may have to compromise the ultimate sound quality of the amp if you insist on "quiet." And buy more than one pair of 300B tubes.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1120 - 07/26/23 at 15:21:57

Quote:
What was left of the hum after using the hum pot with the WE300Bs, could that be heard from the listening position? I remember you have excellent cables (power and interconnects) overall. Do they contribute to minimizing the hum along with the pot?

No, the hum could not be heard from my listening position, which is less than 9 feet from the speakers.

I believe good quality cables, such as those sold by Decware, will decrease the chance of noise reaching the speakers, and contribute to a blacker background/lower noise floor. Of course, these aren't made by Harry Potter, so you have to do your part to eliminate sources of noise as much as possible too.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1121 - 07/26/23 at 16:17:45

LOL at the Harry Potter reference!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1122 - 07/26/23 at 23:53:42

I was thinking a little more about the power transformer, and actually I think I understand why they did it the way they did. While copper would be a good RF (Gaussian) shield, I believe they need good magnetic shielding in that application which would require mu-metal or soft steel. So, the way they did it probably provides good magnetic shielding with the attractive appearance of copper.

P.S.: Also just FYI the Western Electric End User Guide recommends using an AC heater as it prevents electromigration, electrolysis, and potential voltage gradients that can affect transconductance performance.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1123 - 07/28/23 at 20:14:33

Just a random thought—-The number of Sarah’s shipped (Lon’s was #16) doesn’t jive with the number of owners who are active on the forum for some reason.  It seems like most Sarah owners so far, either don’t visit the forum or just read and not participate.  This is interesting considering how nascent Sarah is and any person making their decision based on the Audiophiliacs review, would be newer on the list.  Therefore, all the folks who have been getting Sarah’s so far, changed their original orders from 2020–which almost certainly means that they have been actively following this development thread.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would have expected more owners to speak up by now.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1124 - 07/28/23 at 20:38:46

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Today at 12:14:33

...I guess what I am trying to say is that I would have expected more owners to speak up by now.

Not just Sarah. Given the hundreds of amps Decware has shipped in the last year or so there aren't very many new faces anywhere. I suppose they are too busy listening to music to bother with a message board.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1125 - 07/29/23 at 15:15:36

Good point CAJames.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1126 - 08/01/23 at 16:03:51

Wow, when I first got this amp I didn't hear much difference between the two speaker ohm switches on the amp and just decided on one.  

Today, on a lark, I decided to try these switches again. Immediately the other position sounded more laid back and the sound became easier, relaxed. That's how I like it! It's going to stay that way. I tried the "bias" switches in the front of the amp and still prefer the "back" position.

This amp is sounding better every day. If you're in the queue for this one I would be very surprised if you didn't immediately feel it was worth the wait.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1127 - 08/01/23 at 21:07:45

OMG, this is just another example of how amazing Steve's design is...
I prefer my Sarah set exactly the opposite!! I love the bite and energy the ohm switches give me, and the in-your-face presentation the bias switches give. That's awesome!

Quote:
This amp is sounding better every day. If you're in the queue for this one I would be very surprised if you didn't immediately feel it was worth the wait.

I agree completely.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1128 - 08/01/23 at 21:11:49

Yes, I know you're zest is in the other direction. I can't handle the treble energy there, unless I can sit much further back than the nine feet I'm forced to in my house.

There are so many possible "amps" in any of these designs. I can't imagine being locked into the sound of a solid state design again--these components are like chameleons or shape shifters and we can each find our bliss.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1129 - 08/01/23 at 21:27:33

I love Steve's attention to user adjustability...I can be going along with set settings arrived at over years, and change up speakers or components, tubes or cables, and find some of the set settings are no longer set.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1130 - 08/02/23 at 11:22:15

It's really a feature that can't be overstated, and I don't know of any other amplifier manufactured this way.

Usually, tube amps require a specific set of tubes to sound their best. Meaning, one set of tubes and it's as good as it gets, and with other tubes the sound ranges from less good to unlistenable; like putting lipstick on a pig.

Worse yet, when you purchase that amp and equip it with the Goldilocks tubes, you either like the voicing and sound quality, or you don't. Or maybe a better analogy would be you put the best shoes on her feet hoping for Cinderella, but the best you can accomplish is one of the step-sisters.

But with a Decware amp like the Sarah, it's like speed-dating Victoria's Secret models. From the settings of the ohm and bias switches, to the potential voltage drop of the voltage regulator tubes, and the rectifier, and the input driver stage, and the main input, to the brand of output tubes...every version is equally gorgeous. So you may have Behati Prinsloo in jeans and a T-shirt, or NOS Gisele Bündchen in a little black dinner dress, or Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in one of your dress shirts...you will find no room for complaint or disappointment.

The benefit is, you can be assured you will discover a combination perfect for you and fall head-over-heels, and spend the rest of your life listening in total amazement at your good fortune.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1131 - 08/02/23 at 16:13:56

Yes, amp settings and tubes, and cables, and feet.... a lot of tuning potential. With tubes, beyond voltage drop of VRs and rectifiers, I love how makes and vintages of the same spec of any of the tubes sound different, some subtler, but most pretty notable in how they contribute differently to the ranges of sonic balances. Like two different OC2s (or variants), you are likely to hear enough difference to have a preference, and maybe, like Lon reported earlier, liking two variants together for the 3 "OC2" positions. Then rectifiers, inputs, etc.... usually more profound shifts between tubes of the same type and spec, but different vintage and/or makers. Then there are workable variations of different types in a given position.... Combining lots of subtler and not so subtle tuning potential just with tubes makes for a pretty amazing range for sound and feel within the base signature of the amp.

If we fall deeper into tuning, especially with a lot of Decware, tuning seems to offer endless combinations that are compelling, even within a pretty narrow and refined range of balances defined by system, room, and preferences over time.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1132 - 08/03/23 at 04:10:59

Quote:
But with a Decware amp like the Sarah, it's like speed-dating Victoria's Secret models

We are already lusting after the amp and now this—-lol Ghostship—-you’re playing with our collective sanity!

On a serious note—this talk of two different settings on Sarah (laid back vs. more forward with bite) reminds of the A/B switch on the ZR2.  So my question is—how is the switch different from what the ZR2 is already providing.  To put another way—-if you like the forward switch position on Sarah, is the B setting on the ZR2 pushing things too far?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1133 - 08/03/23 at 17:39:34

Speaking for myself, the front bias switch on the SEWE300B is not like a ZROCK2. It has nowhere near as wide a range of frequency change.

For me the "B" switch on the ZROCK2 is never in use. It does not offer enough treble reduction for my room and system and ears.

I made one change in my tube complement now that the amp has seasoned in a bit more and there is more bass response--I replaced the front position input tube that was an Amperex 6085 with an orange labeled Amperex 12AU7. A step towards a warmer more analog sound.

I'm very happy with this amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1134 - 08/05/23 at 22:44:18

Man I am getting great sound yesterday and today. The amp is seasoning in well, and the new transport I put in place of the one that has the cd stuck within it has opened up from its long time of un-use (it sat unused a few years before I bought it according to the seller, it was not even fully broken in).

As a result I did some more experimenting with the tube complement to see what can be unfolded. I thought that the 7308s I was using as driver tubes were being a bit too "exact" for the present state and I swapped them out for the red-tipped 6N6P that I had been experimenting with early on in the process. That opened up a wide sound-field that was just a little "undefined" as far as imaging but really dynamic and textured. So I hunted through the four dozen or so 12AU7 types I had and found (stored incorrectly) one of the first 6085 tubes I had bought, an Adzam made in Holland, that was orphaned as I accidentally broke the other tube it was matched to, and I had been using 6085s as matched pairs. Well this is the warmest yet very focused of the type I have and it immediately dialed in the sound to be a rich and layered panorama . . . I'm getting the best sound yet.

Like the Monoblocks I bonded with so deeply this amp is a chameleon--it responds to every tube change. As I have only one pair of 300Bs, and a rectifier designed to work with them that does nobly, I have viewed those as anchors. I think the C751 and 2 0A2 are serving as a fantastic "foundation" for the input and driver tubes, so it's been the input and driver tubes that I have been paying most attention to. Which has proven to be rewarding--this is sound that rivals the best the Monoblocks have delivered, yet in its different, graceful way. This is one fine amp!

Two things that I have come to realize and after mulling over accept as near truths. One: this amp is seductive with its sense of power in comparison to the Monoblocks. With the Monoblocks I was always conscious that I had a limitation that I needed to work within. I did manage to do so and get exquisite sound so I relaxed into that. With the SEWE300B there seems no ceiling to worry about banging into and as a result I think I ease into the sound a bit more, rather than the sound itself has more ease. Secondly, the very nature of the Monoblocks adds a definition and precision to the sound that made an almost stereoptic vision to the sound, a bit more depth, and a more completely defined center that distinguishes itself. The SEWE300B in contrast has more center "fill" and a more blended soundstage that stretches across more than flows behind. This is not something that will hit you over the head, it's something noticed over time and it's as easy to be involved and enveloped with this "character" as it is to the Monoblocks' "character."

I love both of these forms of amplification--truly phenomenal designs.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1135 - 08/06/23 at 17:59:27

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Yesterday at 14:44:18

...I think the C751 and 2 0A2 are serving as a fantastic "foundation" for the input and driver tubes, so it's been the input and driver tubes that I have been paying most attention to...

I've always found this interesting. To me, based on theory, I would think each tube would respond differently to the voltage drop provided by the VR tubes. So I would think for each input tube one would need to try every possible VR tube to find the operating point that gets the best results (however you define them). But its seems like you do the opposite: you find the VR tubes you like and they seem to work best for all the tubes you try. This isn't a judgement, just an observation and yet another example of why listening always trumps theory. I look forward to doing my own experiments in a few months when I get my UFO25s.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1136 - 08/06/23 at 18:25:52

I have about fifteen years of experience using voltage regulation tubes in Toriis and Zen Monoblocks and this guides my listening. I base my decisions on past experience and listening (which amounts to about the same thing).

Honestly it seems my experience that in general each tube type responds with some consistency to the differing voltage from the regulation tubes. So the voltage regulation tube combo seems foundational to me, and after finding that general character to the sound I can roll input and driver tubes for more refined tailoring.

The voltage regulation can impart character similar to the bias switching. If I preferred a big bold sound I'd use 0C2 for the output tubes, they would give that nature to the overall sound. I don't; I find I like the lusher, less "forceful" sound that 0A2 can deliver. In the larger voltage regulation tubes I like the sound 0B3 can deliver for power tubes, but 0B2 don't quite have the same allure for me for input and driver tubes.

In the case of the SEWE300B I'm hampered by the fact that I don't have one tuning tool I've relied on, the Treble Cut Circuit, and I need to combat the over-ripe treble that I find to be the easiest frequency balance to find. (That's the reason I avoid Wathen tubes because the input tubes I did try had far too much treble energy for me.) I can't do room treatment or change my ears so these other adjustments are what I can rely on. Certain voltage regulation and bias settings are de rigeur for me, and also settings on the P15 regenerator.

My personal cross to bear is this reaction to high frequencies. It is one reason I am so happy to use Decware systems which allow for tailoring of the sound. I am able to do without the Treble Cut Circuit on this amp--which Steve says he cannot provide--by careful choice of tubes and settings. And years of experience help me to get "in the zone" quickly.

Interestingly in this thread Steve said at one point he favors the 0C2/0A2 x 2 combo of voltage regulation and he also settled on the 6N6P tubes, those are where I found the foundation for voltage regulation and driver tubes. I'm sure you'll have fun finding your tube complement.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1137 - 08/06/23 at 18:56:35

I find that VRs are easy tuning tools too. Each gives more or less push to the following tube (and therefore beyond) so can sound relatively powerful, but more from its effect on others than its own signature I think. So if you are running higher power VRs, and the amp is sounding really good except maybe too pushed/full/forceful, and this relatively consistantly requires a lot of tube experimenting to work around, using a VR with more voltage drop can be an easier overall fix than trying to change/balance the input, driver, or power tube....The VR effecting how those sound, it can create a baseline that can help the amp fit a system/room/tastes, and allow more of a range of the other tubes to work more easily once the VRs are close to balanced for the amp and system. They all have some signature of their own for sure, but as much, or more, they seem like a power switch for the other tubes, so I consider them foundational also.

With my Toriis, once found, I will play now and then with VRs, but eventually tend to end up where I have been satisfied for years, a little less bold and forceful than stock, and all the other tube choices starting from a more neutral baseline with better balances for my system/room. That said, my basic system does not tend to change much in ways that might make VRs choices different, having come to fairly narrow ranges of balance needs, and being more a refiner than a buyer to try to improve things.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1138 - 08/08/23 at 12:23:07

Shake it up!

The amp seemed to move to another level of sonic clarity and with talk of voltage regulation tubes and their effects I did a little rolling and reversed the set up, an Amperex 0A2 for the input tubes and a pair of Mullard 75C1 for the driver tubes. And I swapped the 6N6P for a pair of Amperex Holland 7308. This allowed me to use the "Lifted Ground" setting on my DAC which yields a glowing resonant sound to the playback that is just a shade bass-light. These voltage regulation tubes and the 7308s almost eradicate this bit of lightweight bass sound. I'm letting this simmer in as I listen to wonderful music I'm familiar with as well as a few new acquisitions that have arrived lately.

This amp really delivers with its flexibility and it's dynamic signature. And it's thoroughly a Decware amp, the house sound is unmistakable.

Present combo:

1 each Amperex Holland 12AU7
2 each Amperex Holland 7308
2 each Mullard 75C1
1 each Amperex 0A2
1 each Sophia Electric Aqua 274B
2 each Sophia Electric Classic 300B

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1139 - 08/08/23 at 17:46:21

Looks like a beautiful combination, and exciting the amp is opening up! Happy days!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1140 - 08/17/23 at 16:24:24

I have over 300 hours on the amp and I've a better handle on its operation and sound and it is sounding very very good.

As is my source, the PS Audio DSD DAC Mk2, which was given a new firmware update that not only improved an already excellent sound quality but has offered new settings that improve the sound quality, such as powering off all inputs but one in use and turning off the Wifi.

As a result I experimented a bit yesterday morning and swapped out the voltage regulation tube for the input tube to a Mullard 0B2. This just dialed in the frequency balance right where I want it to be. For now it's a great choice and is dishing out the goods.

Tube complement:

1 each Amperex Holland 12AU7
2 each Amperex Holland 7308
2 each Mullard 75C1
1 each Mullard 0B2
1 each Sophia Electric Aqua 274B
2 each Sophia Electric Classic 300B

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1141 - 08/17/23 at 17:40:31

Nice seeming tube combination! I look forward to whenever you get to trying more 300Bs to see how they compare with the Sophias, and how tuning them with the other tubes into your sound preferences might be different.

Seems like in the past with my Decware amps, roughly 300 hours gets you past the more obvious up and down shifts and more into pure refinement. How has that been with the amp? With new tubes, hard to say for sure I know. In my Simple Wave amp, after one of a used EML 300B pair that came with the amp failed, I was using some Guiguang ceramic base 300Bs... low cost, but powerful feeling, clear, quite open, and nicely resolving tube here. To me, not designed to be euphonic, but having that big tube SET character that pulls nice harmonics. Other subtle burnin stuff going on, but I think these tubes were still getting better into the 200 hour + range.

But relative to your new Decware 300B, I am wondering more about those sometimes subtle shifts between the extremes of duller/thicker and more open and resolving feeling? Also I wonder if the ongoing design refinement, and perhaps the ZRock heritage pre board mitigates this effect?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1142 - 08/17/23 at 18:38:37

It's going to be some time before I try more 300B tubes. I've had a summer full of appliance and component problems from oven, dryer, transport and last week my laptop had to be replaced. I'm enjoying a brand new laptop that is better than I've ever had, but it cost me more than a pair of WE300B and took away all that money and more from my audio budget, which already shrank in May when my wife stopped working. That said, I'm very very happy with these Sophia Electric and my tube-rolling shows me that it isn't hooey when the brand says they were designed to work with the Aqua 274B--these two tube types fit hand in glove. My next tube will likely be the WE300B, so quite a way down the road from now. I'm too gun-shy to try the Wathen.

There have been a lot of variables in play since the amp arrived: new tubes mixed with old, another transport in play, new firmware for my DAC. It does seen that most of the "shifting" of sound characteristics has slowed and I'm very happy where they have slid into right now, though I do have the feeling from past Decware "Anniversary modded" components that there are going to be subtle changes ahead a few hundred hours or so, probably another month.

Overall this does not seem to sound like the only two 300B amps I heard before--it's a Decware amp, no question, has that clarity and speed. It also does have a bass heft and smooth treble and open midrange that I know the 300B tube is contributing to and that allows me to do without the treble cut circuit, though I'm nearly maxed out on ZROCK2 adjustment.

I've been playing a lot of material relatively new to me, and also material that is very familiar and I have to say I don't really hear shifts between dull and open this far into the break-in and that the character of the playback is accurate in comparison with the also accurate Monoblocks. I haven't gone beyond putting a ceramic fuse in when the glass one blew in the first seconds, so I know a fuse will be another territory to cross and map. In time. I have a relatively inexpensive fuse to try first, and then I'll try a heavier one if I feel the itch. . .and when the funds have slowly stacked up enough.

I do think the preamp stage is part of why I am getting the tonal results that are pleasing me, and I'm sure that the ZTPRE is a great feeder to the amp from my source. All in all, I'll miss my Monoblocks but I can't keep both them and the SEWE300B, and the SEWE300B is going to stay.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1143 - 08/17/23 at 20:18:35

I figured you were going to come to that conclusion...hehehehe. Congrats Lon. I know my Sarah isn't going anywhere... Grin

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1144 - 08/17/23 at 20:38:28

Yes. . . it breaks my heart though. But I can't use both, my two other systems are just right and there's no physical room for Monoblocks there.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1145 - 08/17/23 at 21:22:17

Yea, that’s what I figured too.  Time to find them another loving home where they will be used and cherished.

That said, I had a question for Sarah owners who also own a ZR2.  Is the ZR2 still meaningful given the additional density of the 300b tubes and the built-in gain stage.  Lon, you might be an exception here considering your preference for limiting highs and perhaps are using the ZR2 to ameliorate that problem?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1146 - 08/17/23 at 21:38:34

What they said. Glad you and Sarah are so happy together.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1147 - 08/17/23 at 22:31:47

From Lon: "Overall this does not seem to sound like the only two 300B amps I heard before--it's a Decware amp, no question, has that clarity and speed. It also does have a bass heft and smooth treble and open midrange that I know the 300B tube is contributing to and that allows me to do without the treble cut circuit, though I'm nearly maxed out on ZROCK2 adjustment."

I am glad you are able to tune down treble and up bass as you need it! Sounds like it is a beautiful amp for your needs with the ZRock2 for toning it the ways you need...

Yes a Decware flavored signature seems to have been Steve's objective, and I had no doubt he would find it.

I wonder though... from reading, it seems like there must be other 300B amps designed to be more "modern" these days in comparison to the standards of the past where we might find them too slow, warm, and syrupy??? The 300B amp I got that was probably built over 10 years ago, was sort of in between, but what I would call on the modern side in this concept.

Now with some cap work mainly, coupling and power bypasses, it is a little slower than my seriously modified Torii IV, that work being about musically increasing and balancing natural immediacy and speed throughout, as well as resolution. But so far, with these big 300B power tubes and inputs and drivers, at least in this circuit, I am liking this amp a little bit slower. Even so, after the first work I did, I would say it is faster than the Torii IV after similar early mods, and that it would not be difficult to make it faster... which I will probably do after getting more used to it. It does have nice transformers and input and output jacks, nice internal cables, and uses Coleman boards to regulate the filament voltage on the 300Bs (thought by many a truly great sounding solution)... And I have put in really good coupling and bypass caps by sound. But in this setting, it is balanced, extended, and fast enough to not feel any drag. Sounds like really beautiful music to me.

So I don't know, as I think about these things combined, those are a lot of somewhat special improvements over many stock amps. But the nicer ones, including Steves, have good parts and design that utilize parts used well, to me Steve's conceptually seeming to be a really nice innovative design. So it does not surprise me how much folks are liking it.

Also seems those 300B tubes out now give a fair bit of choice of warm/slow/midrange oriented, versus fast/clear and extended.

With very limited personal experience with "300Bs," I am just wondering if a lot of the older school 300B sound and perception may be tradition and choice as much or more than inherent?

Everything is changing fast, I think thanks to designers like Steve who are music heads first, and makers second (apparently pretty rare), and I am thinking a lot is changing as innovative Eastern European and Chinese designers and makers find new and relatively low cost ways to make really nice stuff. Seems to be an amazing time in audio where a lot of perceived habitual impediments to the beauty are falling away fast...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1148 - 08/17/23 at 22:59:55

Kamran, I thank my lucky stars Steve developed the ZROCK2, I have one in each of my systems, two fully loaded and one with just the Jupiter 2 caps as an option.

Don't look to me as an answerer as I can emphatically say I don't get the sounds that I do (and prefer and enjoy) without the ZROCK2 and as I have balanced sources the ZBIT. Others may not need these. I do.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1149 - 08/17/23 at 23:15:24

Will, yes, I don't really have many answers. I know that Sophia Electric has been in the development of 300B tubes for years and I've liked their rectifiers so I'm not surprised I like their 300B Classics and think they are not a lower level tube pair. I'd like in time to compare then to the WE300B and having those two pairs I think I'd be good until I'm actogenarian unless I can't maintain the finances to keep this level of stereo system.

I don't know how to qualify what I read about 300B amps and how to compare them to the Decware. Online there's a Greek chorus of posters who love to mock and discredit Steve and his work. They fixate on his output transformers and think they should be much larger and can't possibly sound good. We know better that not only are his UFO transformers up to their tasks but they contribute to great sound, not weak and mushy bass as they say they "must." There are so many options now that if Steve hadn't made one, I'd have no "house sound" reference to deal with and would probably not have one.

The interesting thing to me is that from day one to now I really connect the sound of the SEWE300B and the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks as cousins or sibling amplifiers. They are both such flexible amplification systems that they can be molded into what one desires if one wants to take the time (and a bit of money) to  experiment and tailor. So in an important sense in my case it's how they drive the HR-1s. The HR-1s are not going anywhere. With the density of the ZTPRE, ZBIT and ZROCK2 and the modes and settings of the PS Audio P15 my Monoblocks work well with the HR-1s, but there's a cieling I could hit if I weren't skilled in getting around it. With the SEWE300B I have the headroom that I had with my Torii amps--BUT I have the SET sound character as well that I confess I honestly don't want to do without.

So, loving and being so bonded to the Decware sound I had to try out his 300B amp as it's been a question mark back in my consciousness. And now I know: it's a dream amp for me. Steve may come up with another amp that will test my temptation one day, but I'm not tempted by other manufacturers' 300B amps.

The SEWE300B is damned good. I'm sure there are others out there damned good as well, at different price points and with different designs, but the SEWE300B is one that fits into my musical taste sensations and cooperates with great outcome with my other components and the room I'm cordoned off in without treatment. A lucky thing, a happy thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print