Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 17:52:15 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 174716 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #350 - 08/06/19 at 03:06:57

Well I did a quick and dirty REW measurement.  Pretty flat, really.

Nothing under 50hz

Dip at 175hz then flat out to around 3k.  Lower from 3-5k.  Drops after 12k.  Really drops around 14k.

I think part of the appeal of this driver over other single drivers is they can have a rise in the 3-5k range which can really be annoying on certain songs. This driver is actually down in this region.

With my Tang Band w8-1808s, I actually crossed them with an AMT at 1600 to avoid this issue.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #351 - 08/06/19 at 04:43:45

Steve said:  
"Something about walnut that I have not found a finish that I like (poly/shellac/lacquer) because it makes it look fake, brings out a purple plastic veil that I can't stand."

This is so much my own reaction. Here is the answer I found.
I once redid an old shotgun stock by following the method recommended to me by a gunsmith. I will credit his name as soon as I remember it.
The method is: First make the walnut smooth with a cabinet scraper followed by steel wool down to 4/0. Mix Linseed oil and varnish half & half.  Wipe this on the wood and then scrub the wood with steel wool until wood dust mixes with the oiled varnish to form a thin paste. This will fill the pores. Now strike this mess off with a paper card or a stiff paper wad. Those hard surface paper napkins found in diners were recommended. This first application fills perhaps 20% of the pores. Let it dry overnight. Do it again tomorrow and perhaps as many as five times total.  The result has a wonderful silken feel. It looks nice, but somewhat satin. For a higher shine buff it with wax.

That oak is beautiful!

Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #352 - 08/06/19 at 04:47:42

Phil Pilkington was the name. Brownells sells his ready mix of oil and hard drying varnish. I bought the Gold/Brown.  Except, I remember it being affordable 30 years ago! Although, that little 2 oz bottle does seem to go a long way.  I only used a small amount of mine on the butt stock of a double gun.  

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/wood-fini...

Brian

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #353 - 08/06/19 at 16:10:18

Brian, that's an old trick apparently.  25+ yrs ago my cabinet maker recommended a similar recipe he got from an "old" woodworker.  Great for an "oil" finish that needs to hold up with water present.

Another nice walnut finish is to use a gel stain (the gel stains have a lot of body and do some pore filling) with a wax top coat.  Wax also fills.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #354 - 08/06/19 at 16:15:27

Pal, that drop off at 14 kHz is consistent with what I found but I think my hearing is shot much above that.

Was there a lot of rolloff at 50 Hz or really nothing?  I get response below 30 Hz but rolled off after 50 Hz.  The drivers are surely moving so it would be the baffle, yes?

I think I'm going to try something with brass weights like I described above.  It will be a $200 experiment!   Undecided

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #355 - 08/06/19 at 17:02:52

There is something there.  That was a flip comment.  Sorry.  

It rolls off gradually below 60Hz.  I'd believe you could hear something at 30hz.  If I had these on the floor again, they would definitely measure more bass.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #356 - 08/06/19 at 17:06:10

Okay, same as me then.  That's where the ZROCK2 plays its role.  It also enhances the lower to mid too -- fuller, juicier.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 08/06/19 at 17:08:07

Every now and again, I flip on the subs to fill in down low.  They integrate pretty well, but something is bothering me.  Until I figure it out, I have been fine with listening without those lower frequencies.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #358 - 08/06/19 at 17:34:25

I ordered 8 brass disks, 1 1/4"Lx3 1/4"D for rear baffle weights.  I found an on line supplier who had reasonable pricing and is letting me send them a USPS flat rate mail label.  That will save me over $30 in shipping.  The total with mailing is about $156.  That's a lot for what could be a useless experiment.  If the weights don't do anything positive I'll have a lot of paperweights.  I'll position them in that 2/5, 3/5 mode.  These will add about 14 lbs per baffle.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #359 - 08/06/19 at 18:10:10

Posted by: Palomino      Posted on: Today at 17:08:07
Every now and again, I flip on the subs to fill in down low.  They integrate pretty well, but something is bothering me.  Until I figure it out, I have been fine with listening without those lower frequencies.

I have subs in the corners, more or less, and the big OB's in front.  What's different is the sub's are now mixing with the audio off the REAR of the OB speakers, which is 180 degrees out of phase to what I'm use to.  Phase reversing the subs amp seems to solve the discrepancy.

My response seems to match yours, with "Nothing under 50hz".  Although I'd add "and darn little under 70hz".

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #360 - 08/06/19 at 18:14:51

Yeah, my first experiment will be to reverse phase on the subs.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #361 - 08/06/19 at 18:26:59

Steve...

I've decided to skip Decfest this year!  Because I can already see it coming... if I attend, I will think I have to have a pair of at least one of these OB's you're developing.  Just what I need.. another set of speakers to add to the 9 pair I already have...!

Portable damping:
I have found these to be quite handy for numerous things... in addition to what I originally bought them for - my other hobby.
https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/lead-sled-weight-bag-stand...
you can fill them with lead shot, steel shot, sand. etc.  I've even used polymer beads if you want some damping/vibration absorption with less weight.  Once filled you can easily move them around and place them in different locations to see if adding mass/damping makes a difference and where it might be most effective.

For those of you contemplating brass products from Eden Sound - don't hesitate.  I had him make me up some custom brass footers with interchangeable feet - rounded (half spheres) and tall carpet piercing spikes.  He was nothing but professional, courteous and speedy.  He fixed me up with a set of footers that are a combination of his Radiused Bearpaws and his Deep Carpet Penetrators - I can change between the radiused bottom and the pointed bottom.

Mapleshade is also another source of brass footers/weights... I bought a pile of their products used off of Audiogon.

I almost always mount drivers from the back of the baffle, especially in my Trio baffles which use a secondary baffle/mounting plate to attach the driver/s to the main baffle.  This allows two things:
1) relatively quick changes of various drivers - just make mounting plates for each set of drivers.  I currently can run my Audio Nirvana cast frame 15's, 12" Alnico's, 8" Betsy's or a 8" Betsy W.O.W and Dayton AMT combo just by swapping out the drivers which are mounted to their individual mounting plates which are then attached to the back of the main Trio baffle.  If any of you have Hawthorne Audio OB's... you can likely do this.
2) you can play around with the "tension" that the driver is mounted to the main baffle with.  Kind of what Steve is talking about making rigid clamps to hold the drivers to the baffle.  With the Hawthorne Audio Trio mounting method, you can vary the material between the driver, the baffle and the mounting plate, as well as the tension/how tight you attach the driver/mounting plate to the main baffle.

I have typically followed the original designers(Darrel Hawthorne) practice of isolating/damping the driver/mounting plate from the main baffle.  I have used various materials between the back of the main baffle and the driver mounting plate and sometimes even between the mounting plate and the driver.  I tend to try/experiment with whatever I might have laying around the shop leftover from other projects.
I have used closed cell neoprene foam, cork, Hush Mat https://hushmat.com/ (a product similar to Geno's Rockwell stuff), Corian-like hard-surface cabinet top material, masonite, concrete foundation gasket material (a heavy duty closed cell foam), particle board, OSB... whatever leftovers from other projects I might have laying around that looks interesting.  No point in hauling the stuff to the dump if I can find a hobby use for it.

Just my experience, everyone else's may be different, but attaching drivers directly to baffles has induced very undesirable buzzing/resonances that originated from various places on the baffle. And this was with my Trio baffles which weigh over 100 lbs and have sand filled side rails and are covered with two layers of felt front and back.  I suppose with enough experimentation, you could take advantage of this resonance if you can get it tuned to a desirable frequency and at an appropriate level.  I've had better luck (and faster) damping/absorbing/moving/reducing/draining away the vibration/resonance that caused the audible buzzing of the baffle structure.

You can get cork from Bangor Cork - https://www.bangorcork.com/
you can get high quality cork from these guys in all kinds of thicknesses, widths and lengths, rolls, etc.
I have purchased sheet and roll cork from these guys in various thicknesses - good product, fast service - no hesitation.
I use a layer of cork on top of all the shelves of my equipment racks.
The manufacturer of the Betsy drivers recommends cork on the back side of an OB baffle.  I have seen it mentioned it other OB designs as well.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #362 - 08/06/19 at 18:32:05

Steve had the phase reversed when he used his BBs as subs with the Bestys.

What might be a typical frequency for bass in most music?  I read the bass guitar goes just under 50 Hz.  What about a bass drum?  Or for orchestral music?  I'm trying to get a feel for the bass I'm getting with my ZR2 bypassed.  It's not nothing but maybe my frequencies are skewed?  I don't have a way of measuring.  Got any song examples?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - 08/06/19 at 18:32:54

Too bad you are skipping MD.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on these drivers vs others you have used.

Thanks for the cork source.  Seems like reasonable pricing.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #364 - 08/06/19 at 18:41:14

I mostly notice the lack of bass in electronic music like Daft Punk.

I don't think my Eminence drivers went much below 50 either.  That's where I have them crossed with the subs on my other OB speakers.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #365 - 08/06/19 at 18:57:19

I have my drivers mounted from the front and directly to the baffles.  I haven't noticed any buzzing but it'd be easy enough to slip a thin layer of cork behind them.  What are others doing in this regard with the F15s?  I wouldn't want to mess up any beneficial coupling either.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #366 - 08/06/19 at 19:38:48

Mine are directly to baffles as well.  I have used various materials in the past.  Rubber, gasket sealing tape, rope calk, etc.

Its kind of a listen and see what you think situation.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #367 - 08/06/19 at 21:12:52

I'll leave it for now.  I covered the underside of my isolation platform tops with the Bituthene (viscoelastic with a plastic membrane on one side) and they still resonate.  Just a different frequency.  Damping is hard to get when you want it.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #368 - 08/06/19 at 21:25:26

Remind me Archie, are you 3/4" MDF?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #369 - 08/06/19 at 21:53:08

Quote:

Too bad you no longer have a Raven around to help you figure those issues out...

I was listening to Daft Punk last night in my dining room, full of boxes and bins still as I'm still unpacking, and that one bass note that usually drops hit just so nicely in this little room! Nothing but DS, Zen, El Camino.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #370 - 08/06/19 at 21:57:39

I'll expect a fully treated listening room by September with separate AC line, diffusers, bass traps and a IKEA listening chair Wink

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #371 - 08/06/19 at 22:07:35

1 1/2" hard maple butcher block.  If you meant the platforms, they are 3/4" plywood.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #372 - 08/06/19 at 22:22:07

OK, I got builds mixed up and was too lazy to go back in the thread.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #373 - 08/07/19 at 03:56:27

Tonight I was able to get the bases assembled so that the speakers can stand upright. Walnut is a really soft wood apparently, because I scratched the crap out of one side just sliding it around on my somewhat soft workbench top. I had to sand out almost the whole thing... this is a nice thing about oil, you can go in and repair things like that without too much trouble.

Archie, just for you, if you look carefully on the table top next to the hammer is a perfect 1/2 hole that matches the one in the baffle that I've sense plugged. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it like it is and tell people it was a bullet hole, or turn it into a knot. I spent about an hour hand-painting knots on the second baffle to give it a better match to this one (I know, ballsy right?)

I'll post a picture of that once I get the finish repaired from having to sand out all the scratches. BTW, the oak doesn't scratch. It drills and cuts like cast iron, while the Walnut cuts almost just like pine.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #374 - 08/07/19 at 04:04:31

Like the Big Betsy, I just put stainless lag-bolts in from the back side to fasten the front feet which are also dowelled so it's easy to remove them.  These bolts are hidden from view because they are behind the rear base.  The rear base is attached the same way with the bolts being hidden behind the plugs in the front.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #375 - 08/07/19 at 04:10:26

It's got a good meaty look to it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #376 - 08/07/19 at 04:15:18

A nice picture in the natural sunlight from the window when the lights are off.

Still waiting for the drivers.  I'll work on the finish while I wait and then once they are here, will work on three large hardwood clamps for each driver to hold them into the baffle.  That's probably going to be bitchy since I'll want a radius to match the cutout - a safe assumption anyway since I don't even know how I'm actually going to do that yet.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #377 - 08/07/19 at 04:32:27

Also on an interesting note, I have been finding myself really missing the "hit" from the F15 drivers and despite the insane imaging of the array and the top end, I think I'm going to re-install the F15 drivers back into the Big Betsy baffles already.  I enjoy listening to Randy's baffles he made for me by themselves with of course a wider placement.

I can create this same exact soundstage with only the small baffles, simply placed  farther apart with more toe-in. The lower registers can be easily put into the mix with one of Randy's subs which are small and easy to overlook. How do you think this soundstage happened with the Array? Certainly wasn't from the 15 inch woofers that don't go much past 500Hz ; )

Anyway, getting back to the switch over back the the F15 drivers -- I wasn't really expecting to feel this way so soon, but it's probably going to happen tomorrow afternoon. The array is really good, but since it uses a low-efficiency high roll-off woofer in the Big Betsy baffle, while nice, it pales in impressiveness to the F15 fitted Big Betsy baffles. I've never heard an open baffle sound as good, so I have to go back to having it again.

You could get to 95% of this exact result with a pair of Randy's subs driven passively with no additional amplifier, as I did here... so as I mentioned before I feel like using the Big Betsy baffles as the bass modules for this array is a total waste of hardwood.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #378 - 08/07/19 at 04:32:32

Looks great!

Brian

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #379 - 08/07/19 at 05:53:49

I have a pair of the Lii Audio Crystal-10 Flagship drivers (10") on order.  These will replace the 15" Hawthorne Audio "Augie" bass  drivers in my Bubinga Caintuck Audio OB's.  I ordered a 3/4" thick Baltic Birch plywood ring from www.craftcuts.com which will be cut to my specs to allow these 10"  drivers to mount up to my Bubinga baffles.  I will treat the rings with Linseed oil, then beeswax in Caintuck Randy fashion.

These will become the new speakers for my ZMA.  They are pricey but I have a really good feeling about these drivers from Lii Audio.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #380 - 08/07/19 at 06:04:16

Those are beautiful speakers Steve. They definitely have a stout look.
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #381 - 08/07/19 at 15:32:13

Stunning work Steve.  Very rich looking.  Thanks for sharing the build notes/pictures.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #382 - 08/07/19 at 16:45:46

Steve,

Your observations about walnut indicate why it has traditionally been one of the woods of choice for furniture (along with mahogany).  It is soft enough to work easily and is also well behaved.  

I think you ought to highlight the table repair.  A paduk plug would have been really cool!

I reread an earlier post in which you said the heavy bases were needed for vibration drain.  I missed that comment when I built my BBs and my bases don't support the baffle bottom edge like your's do.  These new baffle bottoms look like they may be overkill.  It might be just my aesthetic though and have nothing to do with audio qualities.

Of the three full sized BBs on this thread, you, Dank and me, we seem to all be hearing very similar things but how are we going to figure out how critical baffle material, thickness and exact design is to the sound?  I've never made speakers before and the vibration thing is so complex that I'm starting to think it's witchcraft!  I've been told that, by theory, these should start rolling off at 300 Hz.   Tongue

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #383 - 08/07/19 at 23:27:03

Well, my "Crystal Betsy" project has officially begun....

I got notice that the Lii Audio Crystasl-10, 10" full range drivers I ordered shipped today from Lii Audio via UPS.  Not sure the transit time.  

I removed (sold) the 15" Augie bass drivers from my Bubinga baffles.  I ordered a 16" outer diameter/9.85" inner diameter Baltic Birch plywood ring to attach to the baffle in order to the Crystal-10's.

I used to have my DM946's sitting on top of these twisted wood pedestals (see pic below).  I'm going to mount the baffle base to the top of these pedestals using large threaded brass weights I purchased from Eden Sound.  I will drill four holes from the top of the baffle base down into the top of the wood pedestals.  I will then use four threaded nut inserts in the pedestal to take the 1/4"-20 all-thread rods that will be attached to the brass weights.  I am essentially going to screw down the brass weights from the top to couple the baffle base to the pedestal.  This will put the drivers at ear height when I'm seated.  Hope to have everything done in the next week or so.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #384 - 08/08/19 at 00:46:50

My F15s shipped from a California warehouse so you might have your Cr-10s soon.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #385 - 08/08/19 at 03:55:52

Quote:
"What might be a typical frequency for bass in most music?  I read the bass guitar goes just under 50 Hz."

Hi Archie,
The lowest note on a treble guitar is 80Hz if it has standard tuning. To me, that is a very bassy note. When a bass guitar plays it's 50Hz note, that of course is the lowest note on the guitar. Most of what we hear from a bass guitar would be higher than that.  

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #386 - 08/08/19 at 04:50:15

Tonight I restored the Big Betsy to the F15 drivers and was feeling the energy in the baffle itself...  My take away is how incredibly stiff and fast the wood feels.

Archie, the energy is highest at the top of the baffle because that is the farthest point from the drain/floor. This is why the handle makes an audible difference. I can still remember taking the handle off one of Randy's baffles and the sound became less pleasing. I put the handle back on and the sound became great again. Incidentally the handle you purchased is the same one I used on the Big Betsy's I built, anything less would be inadequate... except for Dan's solution of a large brace : )

Also on another note, the Crystal 10's arrived today!  They look nice.  Will probably be a week or so before I get to install them, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #387 - 08/08/19 at 06:25:23

Had a demo tonight, and Daft Punk was requested, which sounded very good, the particular cuts that were played, and it made me want to hear it again after they left, but turned up a bit (which I should have probably done during the demo). So off I went, with the newly restored Big Betsy /F15 combo and I wasn't disappointed. Then about an hour later after a nice break, I realized I have that album in 200Gram pressings that I haven't even heard yet. I started with side 3 and 4 and to be honest it sounded a bit heavy and a bit dull.  In some ways the digital sounded better, crisper. I was thinking boy, this pressing isn't really all that great, I've certainly heard a lot better on my vinyl rig before... Then I played side 1 and 2 which were noticeably better, but still all night with this album there was a slight bloat in the mid-bass making an otherwise stellar sound a little less stellar.

So, a nice hour of listening but I've heard better... then the last song on side two, I had the idea to turn up the volume. Now keep in mind it was on 9 out of 10 already, and I was simply amazed all evening that the amplifier never clipped. Anyway, I'm using the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode 2 watt amplifier driven directly from the phono-stage which is why it's so amazing to hear music this forceful and room filling with no clipping. It would in fact be an accomplishment for even our 40 watt amp. Anyway, I turned up the volume 3dB to max and the amp still wouldn't clip. Sounded better in fact, the bass starting to tighten further. About that time I decided to check the bias switch on the front to see which setting it was in, and it was in the soft setting. I turned it to the hard setting and the amp just began to clip, so I backed the volume back one click and sat down.

The sound after this adjustment was transformative. The frequency balance became perfect, everything locked in. The energy was intense, I could feel it in my chest and bones yet the music wasn't any louder than before, it just had so much SERIOUS CRUNCH to it, that I was simply stunned.  First I couldn't believe how good the pressing was that an hour ago I thought almost sucked. But mostly, just the incredible sound and dynamic expression with perfect balance made it expressively clear that this combo, the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier and the Big Betsy baffles at 100 real dB have more hit, more crunch, more scale, more slam, and do it in a more gracefully way than any combination I have heard to date, including my reference full-range Electrostats with servo-charged 5000 volt tube amps. It is just unbelievable. And it's just unbelievable how in the same night on the same gear you can rate an LP pressing only a 6 and an hour later after flicking one switch, rate the same pressing a 10++ not to mention it sounded like someone came in a put better speakers in the room.

I have listened to Daft Punk, and lots of really hard hitting disco music with our bigger amps on virtually all of our speakers over this many years and it's always brought big smiles to my face, but now I'm still too shocked to smile because I am hearing this anniversary edition 2 watts spank the ass of every Decware amp ever made except for the ominous OTL of which only one exists in the universe.  When I say spank the ass of, I not only mean sound better, I mean hit harder, I mean get louder, I mean sound bigger, I mean exhibit less compression, I mean do it with ease.

This really makes me wonder what would have happened had these drivers been available 20 years ago and of course these magic shaped baffles. I can literally see Decware having evolved around one amp and one pair of speakers because it's that good.  I don't know how it does it.  I defys all logic.  

Trust me, this years DECFEST 2019 / first weekend in October is going to short everyone out so bad they're not going to know what hit them.  Between the amp and the speakers it will be like seeing a UFO for real, because it's just that incredible.

Also after listening tonight I realized another good name for these speakers would be "CAPTAIN CRUNCH".

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #388 - 08/08/19 at 07:02:01

I took a look at the tracking number and it was in fact generated in the United States, so that is a great indication it is also shipping from that California warehouse.  Should have these drivers end of week or first thing next week. Either is fine since my custom wood mounting rings will not arrive until sometime next week anyway.  I have the mounting hardware ready to go so hopefully will be playing music through these Crystal-10's by Friday of next week.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #389 - 08/08/19 at 14:53:10

I figured out what was off when I was trying to use the subs.  The cross-over was set too low and there was a hole in the sound as a result.  I tried different crossover points and the one which sounds best right now is 83Hz.  Higher than I expected.

I also tried the bias switch in the other position with Daft Punk.  I liked what I heard.  I did also turn it up a bit and that helped bring out more details and slam.

I do think that these drivers should come with a warning label: your 2 watt zen amp will drive these speakers without distortion into the 95+db range and you may not notice it.  Please use caution when rocking out.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #390 - 08/08/19 at 15:00:40

This thread just keeps getting more and more enticing by the day.
Not being familiar with Daft Punk, I pulled down what looks to be about a hundred of their “main” songs into a Tidal playlist. Steve or anyone familiar that would know which songs he’s referring to, please let me know as I’d like to listen to what he was listening to last night so I can get a better feel for what he’s describing, even though it’ll be through my system, which, ain’t all that bad!  
Thanks,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #391 - 08/08/19 at 15:09:06

The album I was listening to this morning was Random Access Memories.  The tracks which I felt best demonstrated the effect were Giorgio and Instant Crush.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #392 - 08/08/19 at 16:42:26

It's funny that I ended up with the same handles considering where I started my search and where I ended.  I bought from this ebay seller ($13.50 for 2!).  I buffed them with a wire wheel on my grinder.  I had to ream the holes for my #12 screws and I remilled the counter-sink.  I then used "gun bluing" to blacken them and finished with a coat of oil.  They are nice and beefy!  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-9-Large-Rustic-Handles-for-Barn-Door-or-Gate-Pu...

I'll try my BBs off and on the isolation platforms again.  I didn't notice much difference when I first took them off of the floor -- which theoretically reduced the "energy drain."  Once I have the back weights attached (they've shipped) I'll try some combination of things.  I really don't expect to hear much difference.  When I put the handles on I thought I had a reduction in volume but I took one off and couldn't hear a difference between speakers.  This is likely all just me.

I don't have any Daft Punk but a great album for me is The Who's Quadrophenia.  So much sounds fantastic on these but also Jean Michel Jarre's Electronica series also stand out.  For more of a classical genre, Max Richter is sublime.  All vinyl, of course.  Listening to Palomino's Daft Punk tracks on my computer speakers I can get and idea of what they must sound like on the BBs.   Alan Parsons Project comes to mind and is also incredible on these.  The "annoying" disco beats actually sound good!   Grin

Brian, thanks for the bass info.  I have a feeling that bass generally doesn't go a low as speaker specs might suggest (unless by some kind of harmonics).  I wonder what the frequency is of those bass beats on so many dance type tracks?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #393 - 08/08/19 at 16:57:01

Thanks for the link Archie.  I will use that in my build.  I may go get wood this weekend.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #394 - 08/08/19 at 16:58:54

I offered him $13.50 and it was automatically accepted.  You could try lower.  I did file them a bit.  This guy must do some casting and they come as right out of the mold practically.  Great value though.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #395 - 08/08/19 at 17:01:35

I offered $12.  We'll see.

+1 on Quadrophenia.  I have it in both vinyl and CD rip.  I have listened to that album a lot - mostly when I was young.  But now I'll have to listen to it with these drivers.  Maybe even break out the TT.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #396 - 08/08/19 at 17:11:48

I've been watching this guy on YouTube who saws up live edge lumber, lots of walnut that is in the 2" thick 35" width range.. Hmmm??
It sure could be purdy.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #397 - 08/08/19 at 17:20:05

I listened to it last night and I heard the guy walk from left to right across a shingle beach.  I could hear the rocks crunch under his feet.  I've listened to this album for 45+ years and never heard that before.  Or at least I never noticed it.  There is a difference.  Once I "hear" something with a better set up I can go back and find it was there all along but somehow never came into focus.

Donnie, I have a huge 2 1/2"+ slab like that and I had the same thought.  A pair of speakers would be immovable!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #398 - 08/08/19 at 19:51:32

Here is a really nice depiction of the frequency's generated by different instruments, including their overtones:

http://csgtech.blogspot.com/2012/07/sound-source-frequency-ranges.html

If you "save image as" and then open with a picture viewer and print you should get a nice reference if you ever wondered what frequency it was.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #399 - 08/08/19 at 19:58:32

Thanks Dank.  I have seen this before.  I thought there was a key though that referred to the bar colors, like first harmonic, etc.  Am I just missing it?

Edit:  I see it now.  Its in the bar for the male voice at the top.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32
Send Topic Print