Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 00:42:41 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 175471 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #200 - 07/26/19 at 03:25:10

SUMMARY:  The original plans shown here were a target, the final dimensions I ended up with, that has been documented here, is I think visually better. Also the final result is not a perfect linear scale nor probably should it be.  Also discussed.

Couple comments about the shape and size of these baffles:

Quote:
Here is my plans. I realize these plans will short out a lot of DIY speaker builders who like in-depth plans, but for myself, this is all I ever do... it has all the information I need to build the loudspeaker. The cut out diameter will be determined by the actual diameter of the drivers I decide to use.

This is the starting point. Notice there is no spec for thickness. That's because you don't know how thick your wood will be until you machine it. The thickness will be determined by how much twist there is in the worst board of the bunch.

The board widths of the Wenge and Paduke in the drawing above were determined by eye and were targets. There was no way to know how close to these board widths I would be able to achieve until after all the lumber is machined. As Archie noted, these things are complicated for as simple as they are, especially when you have to puzzle-piece all the wood together to match a particular pattern. Solid Paduke (or any hardwood) would have taken less than 1/2 as long.

I did the arc in the drawing by eye using a 3 point measurement... it is how I've always done it. Usually I will cut a piece of wood or metal that is just stiff enough to strongly resist being bent and then bend it into shape by applying pressure at both ends and let nature and the pressure of my tumb tips define a perfect arc, which I can bias positive or negative just by adjusting the pressure at either end and then looking at the arc. When I see it, I just know it, and then I freeze the shape and mark it on the board.

In this case, since a router would be used with a jig, the arc would be perfect. Still I remember how I set the radius, and it was again done visually as I adjusted the swing to hit the top and bottom at the particular point. That point was determined by the amount of Wenge I wanted to show so it visually matched Randy's baffles he made for me. During this process I recall becoming intrigued that the radius was around 42 inches as is the height of the baffle.  

I had already marked the cutout diameters for the driver so I was also referencing that visually as I set the arc. The final shape of these Big Betsy Baffles was the result of all of the above. Interestingly, when I had to saw two of the wide Wenge boards into strips and glue them back together I lost about 1/2 inch -- that I stressed over because I wanted as much Realestate to work with as possible before I set the final shape and dimensions.

Nevertheless my final shape that I ended up with is slightly more stubby which from an artists eye better serves the 15 inch driver I planned to put in it. So if I measure my pair of Big Betsy Baffles, the actual width came to 33.75 inches. The width at the top and bottom were 22-13/16 and the height came to 42-1/8.  

I think if this actual dimension were scaled back down and the original Betsy Shape was modified to match it would not serve the 8 inch driver as well as the original shape does... if not sonically, visually.  And I think the opposite is true as you go up in size.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #201 - 07/26/19 at 03:58:47

So now you know a bit more about my design process.  I have found through years of experimentation that perfect linear scaling is seldom a satisfactory way to make something bigger or put another way can always be bested by a more organic approach. If the whole world were linear, yea that would work, but gravity, light, sound, and virtually everything have different scales or 'curves' so when you make one of those items bigger all the other have to use slightly different scales to end up in the same operational sweet spot.

In any case, I tend to agree with Archie, I think we will find that getting the shape identical to mine would be less important and the wood that was used and the process of construction will have a bigger effect.

Having made a few hundred MDF and Particle Board speaker cabinets in the process of Decware, I have a feel for the damping and the sound, and generally always preferred the consistency it brings to the table over hardwoods. However, my impression of these speakers is that the liveliness of the wood brings a small part of the wavefront onto the surface of the entire baffle both front and back so it is like having say a 32 inch driver.  

I will also make the comment that the Alnico drivers I am currently using in the Array, being less efficient and having comparatively little mid-bass slam  would probably sound exactly the same in any material.  The F15 on the other hand is easily 6 or 8 dB louder with the same power and has an insane hit in these baffles. I have never heard them in anything else as of yet... but, I know Dank's ears and tastes well, and have his amplifier, so when he says there isn't any bass in his place it suggests to me that MDF might not work as well. It could of course be where he puts them in the room. Probably there will have to be some adjustment there as the speakers might be more oriented to telling you where they will set in your room and not the other way around. Being the size they are that could be an issue for him and others. The cool think is time will answer this question and the answer will show up here in this thread at some future point.

Dan, one suggestion would be to EQ them a bit while they are breaking in... you know, if you want them to sound juicy give them a bit more juice. I have used the ZROCK2 with these speakers on and off and all it's wonders are magnified by the speaker's efficiency and bass potential which is to say the speakers are tight enough to respond to a juicer signal. During the last demo I spoke of, I used the ZROCK2 with much of the digital, and a ZBIT and a ZTPRE on the front-end.  For the vinyl Demo, I used the ZMC1 feeding the ZP3 phono stage, feeding a ZSTAGE going directly into the amp. The vinyl rig had more slam with the best LP's in my collection.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #202 - 07/26/19 at 05:47:39

Quote:
FF to about 28 minutes in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEh01PX-q9I

This guy is a great teacher.

It's some good stuff.  The first recording of the stringed instrumental was stunning, it bent my brain.  The second song which I stopped at 34:53 sounded like Spong Bob playing flexible speaker baffles.  In contrast, the same track on the F15 loaded Big Betsy would have simply crushed it.  I have experimented with foam as a baffle for a real speakers and it's a no-go.  As a panel for a Dayton transducer it has some honorable qualities and good efficiency without a lot of or in the case of the ceiling tile, any resonance of it's own.

Nevertheless, the insight is invaluable.  It makes me wonder if the different dynamics of the woods (Wenge and Paduke) are doing a similar thing but in an inverse sort of way.  Each would clearly have a different frequency balance, and both would probably be good, but combined would likely be better.

BTW, congrats on the new house and large shop area! We'll be expecting a pair of something out of you soon!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #203 - 07/26/19 at 06:38:42

Tonight I'm listening to some new radio station tapes I got, and the sound on this batch of tapes is unreal... I remember it. I know I have heard it as a teenager. It's the exact sound. Almost spooky because you realize it's not the melody or the dynamics or the loudness level, but the timbre. The sound is so transparent, deep and rich, with no compression whatsoever. It's a sound that even if someone stole your woofers, you would still happily listen to because the midrange is so glorious. In todays digital world if someone steels your woofers, the game is over right there, which is btw telling of a missing sort of staying power of analog that is not present in even perfect sounding digital. Perfect sounding digital when hacked sound hacked.  You take the bass or the treble down and the sound falls apart. These analog tapes you could dissect into pieces and the sound is holographic, it just somehow makes itself whole again! Simply amazing. Hearing the actual exact sound/timbre after some 40 years was an unexpected time machine that literally appeared unexpectedly and blew me back to the summer of the mid 1970's.  

This is making me wonder what's going on...  it sounds too good.  Like I've never heard it like this since I was a kid.  It it the Array?  What would happen if I had the F15's in there right now?  Would I be feeling the same way, or would it move to a holy-crap level?  Gee, now I understand the original vision I had of these baffles that had a removable clamping system so that any driver could be installed in minutes without risk of damage.  You know any time you change a woofer using a screw gun in front of more than 10 people it is a certainty you will slip and put the bit through the speaker surround.  

I of course could put inserts into the baffles and run the original betsy drivers or the alnico drives and would probably shit my pants at the things it brings out in the sound but then I though about a slot that perfectly accepts the original Betsy Baffle so that you could actually just slide a Betsy into the big baffle.  Another woofer less sub-woofer, the best kind ever.

Since reading somewhere in this thread that the Lii 10" Crystal driver is bass shy and prefers a box, getting the sound of the 8 inch Betsy Alnico driver with the bass scale of a Big Betsy may not actually require anything other than a larger piece of wood.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #204 - 07/26/19 at 14:57:07

Quote:
Since reading somewhere in this thread that the Lii 10" Crystal driver is bass shy and prefers a box, getting the sound of the 8 inch Betsy Alnico driver with the bass scale of a Big Betsy may not actually require anything other than a larger piece of wood.

Hi Steve,

This is true ..... based on the baffles I have built over the past couple of years, the larger the surface area of an open baffle, the more bass it produces.  One of my audio buddies (Derek) built a pair of 4' x 4' baffles using the original Betsy drivers and called them the "Donkey Kongs".
They made enough bass in his listening room to make my knee caps buzz .....

It's a balancing act though ..... too much bass response can overwhelm the mids, or at least obscure them. I also believe that the size and characteristics of the listening room are part of the equation.
In a larger room, the Donkey Kongs would probably have been more "balanced".

Of course, the shape and materials used in your BIG BAFFLES would have a big effect on the overall sound ..... so the 8" drivers in those baffles might be totally killer .....

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #205 - 07/26/19 at 15:12:35

In my current OBs, the Tang Band 1808 has a relatively big flange around it so the opening is pretty big.   I made an big "O" insert that allows me to test a few smaller or equal size drivers in my baffles.  

Not a quick change setup by any means, but it allows the ability to test other drivers.  In the past, I have put in a different driver and listened for a few days or  a week and then switched back to compare.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #206 - 07/26/19 at 15:53:34

My drivers are scheduled to show up Monday.  I'm nervous in my anticipation to hear if only Steve is blessed by the Audio Gods.  I'd hate to think a week's worth of work could be in vain.

After reading Steve's build details I see that I basically have a baffle that is 1 inch narrower than his.  If that inch, maple instead of his exotic blend of HW and my painted surface makes a difference then Steve ought to be buying lottery tickets since his intuition/luck is beyond belief!   Wink

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #207 - 07/26/19 at 15:57:36

Good luck Arch.

Mine are arriving today but I am in Michigan, not Illinois.  Hopefully, UPS will deliver to my neighbor as requested.

We'll see how the MDF sounds in the low boys.  I have another system set up to run them in.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #208 - 07/26/19 at 16:05:15

Watching more of LR's video link, MDF is not more "dead" than plywood.  So, what could be going on with Dank's MDF baffles and the lack of bass?  Maybe it has to do with the lower stiffness of MDF which would lower its resonant frequency which could interfere with bass production?

All just a guess.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #209 - 07/26/19 at 16:24:26

Now Tuesday.  UPS is claiming "severe weather delay" between So. CA and CO.  Sounds like they are taking a page from the Airlines when it comes to excuses.   Angry

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #210 - 07/26/19 at 16:34:33

Disappointing  >:(

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #211 - 07/26/19 at 17:17:36

I might need to fire up my saw this weekend. You guys have given me the "itch" to build something.
I have material, drivers and tools. Oh and some red paint too.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #212 - 07/26/19 at 19:23:56

Keep it smooth Donnie. Keep it smooth.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #213 - 07/26/19 at 21:21:52

Now it's back to Monday.  I guess the extreme weather cleared up.   Roll Eyes

Paint is interesting to work with.  Has anyone tried buffing with say 0000 steel wool and then coating with wax?  Or maybe just some rubbing/polishing compound?  The surface laid down out of the can can be a little rough.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #214 - 07/26/19 at 22:08:10

Here is another video by the speaker builder LR originally posted.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIye4RZ-5k

He's making flat panel speakers and I think that some of what he's analysing is applicable to OB speakers.  At 8:25 he talks a bit about shape and at 12:50 he talks about where to put the actuator.  Interestingly, he uses a 3/5 2/5 rule.  Randy and Steve seem to be using this vertically.  Steve's driver center of 25 1/4" in a 42.125" baffle is 3/5 up.

His whole point with the shape and driver offset is to break up panel resonances.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #215 - 07/27/19 at 05:16:06

Quote:
His whole point with the shape and driver offset is to break up panel resonances.

Hi Archie,

That makes perfect sense to me .....
It's kind of interesting that the first few Betsy baffles I built had the driver centered vertically. The more I looked at them, the more it seemed to me that raising the driver slightly above center was more aesthetically pleasing ..... so I started doing that.

One day, I was visiting one of my customers who owns one of the original pairs (with centered drivers). I had a new pair with me and we did an A / B.
Amazingly, we both heard a difference.  The one with the centered driver was a bit "warmer" sounding and the one with the raised driver had a bit more high frequency emphasis.
We chalked it up to the drivers in his speakers being closer to the floor .... but that's just a guess .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #216 - 07/27/19 at 17:28:56

I like the physics as a point of interest but generally I just follow guys who've figured stuff out already, like you and Steve.  The idea of an aesthetics or beauty to what works is more often true.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say, which lends me to believe that it can take intuition to see the beauty.  (Steve's Audio Gods)

When I worked in the Aerospace industry there were guys who would "conceptually" design like an artist and the real thing ended up looking like the conceptual design even after all the in-depth analysis was done. Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #217 - 07/27/19 at 18:13:44

Organic design is a real big thing in high end engineering.
To build something strong, look at how a tree holds itself up.
To make something flow, watch how a river works.
I suppose to understand how things sound maybe we look at ears?
Dunno, I just make equipment that rapes mother earth, I'm good with that, the paychecks don't bounce.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #218 - 07/28/19 at 04:03:38

UPDATE 7-27-19

Despite the magic soundstage and overall frequency balance that I get from the Array, I will be putting the F15 drivers back in and running them solo prior to DECFEST 2019.

Why? It should be understood that in the Big Betsy Array -- by design you can not hear the large baffles unless you put your ear up to the speakers. They were designed to support the Betsy Alnico with the utmost subtle amount of sound so they would not detract from the Betsy Alnico speakers in any way and they do it exquisitely well. However by comparison to what the large baffles do with the F15 drivers, I feel like it's almost a horrible waste of such a great large baffle despite how incredible it does sound in the subtle roll it plays in the Big Betsy Array configuration.  It is so right, that it is a new personal reference as of right now.

I have run the F15's in the Big Betsy cabinets with a 12dB passive 90Hz crossover and paired that with the Betsy Alnico to create a similar array and while not as seamless or organic, it did actually work rather well. Problem with that was that using the F15 as a subwoofer felt like a horrible waste of such a great full-range speaker.

Clearly the best bang for the buck is the Big Betsy fitted with the F15, because what those two things do when paired together is more than memorable.

So this puts me back in my original dilemma, in that the speed and sound in general of the Betsy Alnico speakers takes the midrange and top end to another more realistic level in my room. I want that sound, just with more scale and ideally from a single pair of baffles... but with some of the Big Betsy Slam which exceeds any speaker I've ever heard that was actually listenable.

So I have been pondering the Lii-Audio Crystal 10 drivers at $1000 for the pair based on the performance and build quality of the F15 I don't think I'll feel like the drivers were over-priced once I get a pair, so I have ordered them tonight.

Meanwhile I've been working on a new baffle design for these specific drivers. With a lower QTS they obviously want a box and not an open-baffle. The Crystal 10 has a QTS of about 50 whereas the F15 has a QTS around 70 or more. A higher QTS woofer is desirable for open baffle, because the magnet strength is lower to allow the driver to move more at its resonant frequency (fs). This creates a bass boost at resonance that helps offset the cancellation of low bass that the baffle creates by letting the rear wave from the driver come around and cancel the front wave from the driver. This happens at and below a frequency determined by the size of the baffle.

To get a lower QTS driver to work, a larger baffle would be needed and or some bass boost equalization. Let's talk about the baffle size first.

When I scaled the Betsy up for a 10 inch driver, I just felt the size wasn't big enough to give any of that Big Betsy thrill, especially with a lower Q driver that has somewhat elevated highs.

So on the left is the baffle scaled for the 10 inch driver. Next to it is the Big Betsy. The next two are sizes I was trying to pic from and the last one is the original Betsy size. This gives the eye a sense of the scale.  I choose the one that is colored light blue in the picture.  It's going to be about 34-3/4 inches high and about 28 something wide.

The Audio Gods are guiding this one, as I am investing a lot of time and money into it without knowing for sure what will happen. I'm usually rewarded for such faith so we'll see what happens.

Now lets talk about bass boost equalization. You might think at first "no way" not a purist move, etc, but consider this...  the lower Q driver has a stronger magnet hence more bass control, i.e. tighter, faster. There is more control at resonance, which btw, in the case of the Crystal 10, will be in the mid 30's, not 49Hz like the F15. So adding some bass equalization will restore the missing bass from the low Q driver while the drivers stronger magnet will keep that bass even tighter and better controlled. That makes the whole key the EQ. This is were most would botch the concept, but a single-ended class A triode running all by itself with zero negative feedback could easily achieve this with total transparency. Ironically the perfect curve and adjustability for this can be found in a product we already make called the ZROCK2.

So once the speaker is completed I will be pairing it with a ZROCK2. My hope is that this will get me somewhat close to the stock Big Betsy F15 speakers, but with sound that I would fully expect to best the Betsy Alnico drivers on every level.  If this is successful, it will be my personal holy grail of open-baffle loudspeakers.  

If I don't run into problems, these will be done prior to DECFEST and can be compared to the Big Betsy with the F15.

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #219 - 07/28/19 at 04:38:16

I can’t wait to see/hear how this pans out...never a dull moment that’s for certain Smiley
It just keeps getting more interesting
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #220 - 07/28/19 at 05:10:28

I will of course document the build with pictures as before.

I spent the day today making some of the boards from a stash of really old walnut that was my dads. I'm shooting for a thickness of 1.5 inches. The walnut boards are 6 or so inches wide by 36 length to start. They will be glued up into a total of four 11 inch panels to start things off.  The center stripe will be 5 inches... the radius of the driver.

It was a lot of jointer action since these boards were all over 2 inches thick with a lot of twist to them. In some cases a 1/2 inch in 3 feet.  Between the jointer and the planer, I filled up my dust collector bag past the top and half way into the top bag before I realized it! Trying to get the bag off the dust collector when it's that full is not an easy task. Nevertheless I freed the bottom bag and then about 10 gallons of dust dumped on me from the top bag and like Mt. Saint Hellions it emitted a dust plume that had documentable devastation to not only me but a large part of the shop. Had I known I would write about it, I would have taken a picture of what I looked like. I know that orange haired Bob can relate to this ; )

Anyway, after getting all that cleaned up, the day finished with all the walnut boards I think I will need to make the two baffles. The center strip will be either maple or AAAA+ figured oak.  Something lighter for contrast but with striking grain since it and the driver will be the focal point.

I have some insane figured oak already in stock but it's 4/4 not 8/4 so I would have to glue it together, which I probably will, because I have it.  I want to create something equally stunning to look at as the Big Betsy baffles, in this more manageable but still substantial size and weight.

On a side note, I spent some more time examining the roller guides on my new band saw that are nearly an 1/8 away from the blade which BTW is why the saw dropped an F-Bomb when I tried to cut the Wenge. I discovered they rollers are camed (sp) and figured out how to adjust them to a few 1000's from the blade so now it cuts Wenge just fine, and cuts walnut literally like it was styrofoam! So with this new confidence I ripped all the 8/4 to width on the Bandsaw instead of the table saw.  No noise, no dust, to wasted wood, same precision and same speed. Amazing! Yes, I admit it, I'm getting off pretty frikin hard on my long overdue wood shop. My whole life as a contractor and hobbyist and then union carpenter and eventually speaker designer was tormented by twisted and or crowned boards that you had to wrestle into submission and sand the shit out of to make anything halfway presentable... so you can image what a thrill it is to be able to take tormented wood and make it perfectly flat, perfectly square and perfectly straight... really I can't emphasize how erotic a sensation this is, instead of suffering I'm tripping!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #221 - 07/28/19 at 05:40:16

Until I get some photos of this new build, here is my sketch (target).  (For engineers, this is my personal 'shorthand'.)

This one is also Randy Inspired, as seen on his web site Caintuck Audio Loudspeakers.

The difference will be that the darker wood will be walnut, the lighter wood probably highly-figured oak.  

The picture above is the inspiration for this new speakers appearance... Randy strikes a great balance on this one with the board widths and wood choices.  So now (if you've been following this thread) we know that Randy is not only an alien but a pretty good artis as well!  

I might also mention that the pictures of Randy's listening room as of late, are pretty telling of a past life as a Zen Buddhist monk from Japan.  ; )

- Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #222 - 07/28/19 at 13:50:45

OK, I'll wait before I rush in and make new drawings. Lol
Good tools, aligned and sharp are a pleasure to work with. It is so nice to be able to produce what your minds eye can conceive.
Steve, do you have room for a CNC router? New levels of precision and speed are available.
Also I noticed on the Lii Audio website that if you buy a pair of Crystal 10's you get a pair of F15's for free! A twofer.
What could someone come up with for both pairs to be used in one speaker?? Hmm....
Edit:
Steve you really should look into additive manufacturing (3D Printing) talk about freeing your mind from conventional thought. If you can dream of a shape you can make it.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #223 - 07/28/19 at 15:37:55

This thread is what I LOVE and what drew me into Decware. A creative idea that gets grabbed ahold of by others and experimented with and everyone shares their thoughts experiences. While I don't have room or the talent to work wood at your levels, I do have a master woodworker/friend two houses down that I could enlist....Keep up the dialog lads, you have made for a wonderful Sunday morning listening to our Decware rig and reading this thread. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Reply #224 - 07/28/19 at 17:24:17

Steve (and all other contributors to this thread), thanks for sharing your development process on this project. This is the type of nitty gritty that I drool on. It also takes courage and confidence to lay a project bare from the beginning not knowing the outcome, but everyone learns so much from. Both from the little successes as well as the little mistakes along the way.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 07/28/19 at 18:38:59

Steve, you've never mentioned what jointer you have to tame those wild boards but since you obviously get off on tools, check out the Northfield jointers:  http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/jointers.htm

I acquired a 12 inch HD model that had been used in Hughes Aircraft's pattern shop in the 1960s.  They are real battleships weighing in at around 1700 lbs!  They even have a ship's wheel to adjust table height.   Cool

I used mine to polish the endgrain on my big betsy baffles.  What a joy!

When it comes to jointers, size matters.   Grin

Oh, Donnie, that promotion is over.  I checked.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #226 - 07/28/19 at 20:06:51

Quote:
So now (if you've been following this thread) we know that Randy is not only an alien but a pretty good artist as well!  

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #227 - 07/29/19 at 01:30:35

I may have finally figure out how to post a photo.  If so, here are a couple crappy pictures of my baffles.

0725091507a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #228 - 07/29/19 at 01:31:51

And the other side.

0725091507.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #229 - 07/29/19 at 02:27:05

Nice, Archie!  Looks like, in a matter of days, you’ll have music playing. Looking forward to your report.

I’m really enjoying this thread. If I had the wood working skills, I’d be more of an active participant.

Good luck to all you craftsmen!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #230 - 07/29/19 at 04:09:33

So I'm going to call this one the BESTY10 for now.

It starts with the wood, and this stuff is old. I started with 8 pieces of 1.5 x 6.5 x 36 inch boards, which I made. This morning I realized two of them would have to be rejected. One was too good and one was too bad, so time to make two more. Sadly that's all the wood I'll get from this plank by the time it is machined.

On the table you can see the one that didn't make it. You can see the fault line... even though it wasn't actually cracked, it has a high probability so it's just not worth it.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #231 - 07/29/19 at 04:19:29

The goal is to create four 11 inch wide x 36 x 1.5 inch panels and some 5 inch x 1.5 inch boards for the center strip out of highly figured oak. Here is the first walnut panel getting glued up. On expensive stuff like this I do one glue joint at a time. I takes as long as it takes. The way I figure it a solid hardwood loudspeaker is going to last forever and will never be thrown away so the time it takes to make a pair is somewhat irrelevant. It has taken me two days at a leisurely pace just to create the 11 inch panels and the 5 inch center boards which will all be glued together to create the baffle.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #232 - 07/29/19 at 05:16:14

For those who aren't into woodworking, trying to figure out which way to flip the boards and how to deal with knots and misc issues makes it challenging and time consuming. If the wood was perfect it would be a simple experience, but when you have to make the wood perfect from imperfect wood and still have enough to do the project, it is a real puzzle.  This is why it takes so long, and costs so much, but the end result is just that much more appreciated since we know it didn't come easy.

I will say that as I put these panels together I can get a good sense of the size which now feels a lot smaller to me than I though they would be judging from the sketch where I choose the size. I probably should have chosen the size above this one for better performance. The thing is there are about a million people who will not ever buy a pair of Big Betsy speakers because they will think they are too big. This will be a far more manageable size that fall somewhere between an original Caintuck Audio Betsy Baffle and the Big Betsy Baffle shown earlier in this thread.

The difference between 1.5 inch and 1.75 inch, the difference between 35 inches and 42 inches, and the difference between Wenge/Paduke and Walnut/Oak are huge. Compared to the last project this seems like half as big. I won't have any problems lifting this baffle, even when fully assembled. The Big Betsy is a BEAST by comparison.

I could probably cut the arc on my bandsaw, which btw, is kicking ass now that I figured out how to adjust the guide rollers. I used it for all rips today and yesterday. I haven't turned on the table saw one time so far during this project. It's so amazing that the speed of the cut is the same as the table saw, but there is no noise, no dust, and no waste. It rocks!

Archie, Great baffles! Also I looked at the link for the jointers, holy crap! A 24 inch jointer! Just imagine that! I suppose when surfacing a 24 inch wide panel on one, you would have someone sit on the panel as you push it through ; ).

My jointer is a Grizzly 8 inch wide with a serpentine belt, and spiral cutter head. It is my favorite tool in the shop. I love it's precision. I love the feeling when I have just made a pass with a 6 or 8 inch board and go to pull it off the cast iron out-feed table there is a suction from it being so flat! I love that there is no snipe unlike a planer. I love that I can run any hardwood through it backwards against the grain with no tear out. I love that I can put the most highly figured dense hard wood through it and not only is there no tear out, or chipping, there are no marks and it has the finish of something that has been hand scraped.  Sanding it would only make it rough. It actually shines. That really gets me off hard, you just have no idea how much!

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #233 - 07/29/19 at 14:22:55

I returned home on Sunday afternoon to find my drivers had arrived.  After a quick install here are my initial thoughts.  

I would label this review as the “challenged installation and setup review.”

First of all, my goal was to just get the drivers in the 1.5” thick MDF square lowboy baffles so I could run them in a little before any critical listening.  I wasn’t concerned about placement, etc.

I started out with the drivers not fitting the baffles. I thought I had plenty of room a 15 1/8” to the outside hole for flush mounting.  Easily 1/8” or more off.  So I got some long deck screws and more or less surface mounted the drivers.  Problem was that one side always wanted to sink into the existing cutout.  Suffice it to say they are a little crooked.  

Because I was just running them in, I placed them on top of my subwoofers.  I didn’t want to put them in front of or move my existing speakers and I have limited floor space.  In this position the whizzer cone was about at ear level.  They are maybe 6’ apart.

So how’d they sound given these challenges?  After a few hours, very very entertaining.  

First of all they completely disappear. Second, they produce a huge soundstage.  The bigger a piece you throw at them the better.  Think large scale classical.

Third they are well balanced top to bottom. I did not come away thinking they were too rolled off or bass shy.  Perhaps on some really heavy bass tracks I wanted to turn on the subs but the bass is quality so you forget about wanting more.  You just kind of tune into it.

Imaging was great as well, even with all on one minute of setup time.

They definitely have “pop”.  So much so that on a few well known songs I was startled by a snare hit or trumpet blast.  I wouldn’t confuse this with beaming. It’s just the efficiency of these allows a lot more of the recording to come through.

Last but not least and probably their biggest strength is the timbre of the instruments and voices.  One example is the snare hit.  I haven’t had a pair of speakers get this right.   Bass is textured.  Acoustic guitar sounds “Woody”.  Certain voices sound “reedy”.  I’ll have to try piano next.

There was a bit of harshness to them for the first couple hours but I had all this other new sound to tune into that it didn’t bother me that much.

Suffice it to say that these drivers, while poorly installed and setup, entertained me for the next 3 1/2 hours and I got up early and listened for an hour.

I listened to all kinds of music. Rock was the only genre I was a little light on.  I had the volume considerably lower than usual but lower volume passages on all tracks kept coming through.

Given they are new drivers I didn’t go too high but I turned it up a few times and they didn’t distort.

So even at this early stage these are a thumbs up for me.  They may replace my current OBs.  I’ll go ahead with a hardwood baffle build.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #234 - 07/29/19 at 15:37:27

Steve, a spiral cutter would be nice!  I always do my best to orient the wood grain slant correctly through the jointer and planer but often it goes both ways!  Maple seems the worst.  You have more patience than I when it comes to glue-ups.  I typically do it all at once.   And of course, for anyone wondering, IMO a good jointer is the key to any woodshop.  Although I knew a cabinet maker that didn't use one.  He had a sliding table on his table saw and some amazing blades.

FWIW, I used my bandsaw to cut my arcs and while I'd likely do it that way again, when belt sanding the edges smooth, there is a slight tendency to develop a bit of a bevel in the edge.  For a perfectly square edge, the router is probably still the best way to go.

Pal, how is the top end so far?  I'm wondering if these will benefit from a super tweeter.  What kind of break-in are you thinking?  I know I'll have a hard time resisting the urge to CRANK!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #235 - 07/29/19 at 15:43:55

Arch,

I didn't feel the need to try the Super Tweeter yet.  I will probably experiment with it at some point.

I did turn on the subs and they integrated really well, however, I had to crank up the crowns feeding them to put out enough volume.

I kept thinking I would like to hear these with the built in sub cabinets Steve has in his listening room.  Those speakers put out bass that would be on scale with these drivers.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #236 - 07/29/19 at 15:46:58

It's interesting that with the 15" driver you tried a sub but not a tweeter.  I would have thought just the opposite.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #237 - 07/29/19 at 15:54:35

I am trying to resist the urge to complicate this setup.  

I contacted Leo at Lii and he said they will get better with time, especially the bass.

I have just been listening to a system with subs for the last 6-9 months and while the bass is adequate, I did miss my sub 30hz bass on some songs.

Here is my breakin setup.  It doesn't really show how close the drivers are to each other.  I can imagine how good the soundstage will be once I move my existing speakers and start to position them correctly.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #238 - 07/29/19 at 17:20:11

Wow!

Actually, the low base was why I was looking at the Crystal-10s.

Do you have a ZR2?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #239 - 07/29/19 at 17:24:27

Only a Zbit

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #240 - 07/29/19 at 17:30:03

I'll be interested in hearing what my ZR2 does with the F15s.  I don't have huge subs now but with the ZR2 my HR1s put out some very low bass.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #241 - 07/29/19 at 17:47:19

Yeah, I have read of the merits of the ZR2.  I'd be interested to hear what it sounds like with these drivers.  One of those units may be my post Zenfest purchase this year.

Its a bit of a long story how I ended up with 2 15" subs in my little room.  They will hit 25Hz and the bass is fairly tight.  I cross them at 50Hz.  The integration is pretty seamless.

However, I am running them with a fair amount of power from dual crown amps.

As I said before, the Palomino Audio Project ballooned into a multi-driver, multi-crossover setup.  While they sound good to me, I am looking for something simpler.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #242 - 07/29/19 at 17:57:29

Archie wrote on 07/29/19 at 17:30:03:
I don't have huge subs now but with the ZR2 my HR1s put out some very low bass.

Mine does too. I have one in both of the systems I use most, and both those systems now also have a ZBIT. The one with the 25th Anniversary mods took the longest to break in of any of the Decware components I have but boy does it sound fantastic.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #243 - 07/29/19 at 22:57:42

I have my version of the Big Betsy playing and as Steve might say, HOLY SHIT!  Now I know what he means my big sound and "it is here" versus "you are there."

These play loud and so far very clean.  I will say categorically, you can't hear what they can do without a ZR2.  They sound anemic, by comparison, on Bypass.  The ZR2 is arguably Steve's greatest gift to the audio world.  I'm not sure my HR1s will be getting much play time going forward.  It's not that the HR1 is any anyway a bad speaker, rather, I have a huge room with tremendous volume and the HR1s just can't quite fill it.  These do at 10 o'clock what the HR1s did at 2 o'clock which is close to clipping.  And the headroom!

The OB design is new to me and it's funny how the sound comes off of the back.  I'll post a series of pictures just to show off but also to see if I can get suggestions on best toe-in (if any) and distance from the wall.  My rear feet give a 12" distance, minimum, and I can get up to maybe 3' by pulling them out from the wall.  I don't seem to need toe-in to image but I am thinking it might help the rear wave from just banging straight back into the drivers.  Unfortunately, sound treatment just won't work in my room.  I have a nice full soundstage between the speakers but not holographic or outside of the baffles.

IMG_2719_a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #244 - 07/29/19 at 22:58:53

Sorry, I don't know how to make the pictures post smaller.

IMG_2720_a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #245 - 07/29/19 at 23:00:33

The back:

IMG_2721_a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #246 - 07/29/19 at 23:01:58

The footers:

Black paint shows everything and the paint job isn't the best but my total cost was under $500 since I had everything on hand but the drivers, paint, footer pads and driver screws.

Talk about bang for the buck!  Or maybe dB?

IMG_2723_a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #247 - 07/29/19 at 23:12:38

Arch, good to hear you like them.  I forgot about Steve’s comment about they are here but do agree with it.  

My OBs are about 4’ from the back wall if memory serves.

The ZR2 comment has me intrigued.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #248 - 07/29/19 at 23:17:02

I do agree with it.  The sound is so big that for the first time, they have the potential to put the piano in my living room.  And I have one there so I know the difference.

I've found that Steve's "hype" generally exceeds my experience (I'm sure it's my fault) but with the ZR2 he doesn't talk it up enough.  I think he should incorporate the circuit in every amp he sells.

I can't do four feet from the wall but I can see where more distance might benefit.  Do you toe your OBs?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #249 - 07/29/19 at 23:18:08

Archie,
Very very nice.
I'd pull them out 3' and listen, I bet that they will sound even bigger and more glorious.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32
Send Topic Print