Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:51:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BiAmp & TriAmp - Better? (Read 10344 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

BiAmp & TriAmp - Better?
06/14/17 at 02:32:22

I have sometimes read of someone changing from a single amplifier on 3 way speakers and saying the multi amps are a big improvement.  But these reports do not say how or why.  
Is it because there was a frequency imbalance which is corrected when each driver has it's own volume control?
Is it because crossover parts are smaller at line level than at speaker level?  
Is it because the three amps treble the power of one?
In what way is it better?  

Brian

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: BiAmp & TriAmp - Better?
Reply #1 - 06/14/17 at 16:33:54

The theory is that each amp can work on it's own slice of the bandwidth (frequency) rather than one amp trying to reproduce everything from 15Hz to 45k Hz (or whatever range your particular amp and input are)

So you'd have one amp focused specifically on tweeter range, and one on mids, and one on bass, each one has less workload. Or you could even have each amp designed specifically for that frequency...i.e. a bass amp might have bigger caps for those big impactful hits that need a surge of juice that tweeters would never need.

Add to that, the modern thing that is in vogue is having high end digital processing that highly tweaks both crossover and phase - so each amp not only gets *only* the frequency it needs, but everything comes out of the drivers time aligned for better cohesion of the overall output. Having everything done digitally *before* the amp is not only highly accurate, but you aren't losing watts, nor at the mercy of a crossover and all it's passive parts and their variables. Which also means you are better balanced left to right...which means even better stereo imaging and timbre accuracy.

So yeah, lots of good can come from it - but it's a lot of work getting it right. Everything would have to be measured individually, and as a whole, in the room and adjusted accordingly.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, old school Bi or Tri amping is nothing but having an amp for each frequency fed into it's respective crossover section. The only benefit really is the dividing of the workload (frequencies) to different amps. Sure it can sound better, but I like the modern way of doing it...it just makes so much more sense (when done correctly with the correct tools)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/17 at 20:14:34

Thank you, Raven.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/14/17 at 21:45:55

I love your succinct description of the moving parts involved here Raven!!!

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 06/15/17 at 06:07:45

I'm glad that was helpful.  

I'm pretty good at wrapping my head around concepts, but not always terribly good at explaining it. The way I think and the way I write, don't always play well together. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/19/17 at 00:07:56

Does anyone else have anything to add about multi-amping?

Brian

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 06/19/17 at 21:48:34

Brian - I did it for years and years, both Bi amp and Tri amp and on the speakers at the time, it sounded good. But I knew in my head and heart that all that electronics, crossovers, wires etc was taking something out of the music. Now one amp, no pre-amp (yet) single driver speakers (subwoofer but not using a crossover for the mains) and our stereo just sings music magic all day long. I would never go back. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/19/17 at 22:17:34

I bi-amp on both my systems (Rachael and Torii 3).

For me, bi-amping helps take advantage of a larger woofer in an open baffle configuration that I feel needs more power while maintaining that sweet Decware sound going to the full range driver.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/20/17 at 01:54:29

Thanks, Chris and Palomino.  
It sounds like the knock against multi amping is sending the sound through crossover components.

Brian

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/20/17 at 14:02:33

You will always be sending the sound through x-over components unless you use a full range speaker or you do what Raven said and digitally split the signal before the amps.
I bi-amped my full range speakers for a little while. A little different because it is a full range Fostex speaker with not x-over parts. But this driver starts to roll off at about 15k. So I added a tweeter to take over the 15k and up frequency. Also the tweeter was not as efficient as the main driver so I used the volume control on the SE84CS amps to balance the sound and used the pre-amp to control the main volume. This actually worked pretty good and gave me that sparkle up top. So I had one CS amp for the tweeters and one CS amp for the main drivers. The tweeters had a cap on it to stop the 15k and below frequencies and the Fostex driver did not have and x-over parts on it.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/20/17 at 16:10:33

I too run a full ranger up top and have a crossover/amplification only on the bass.  

I have heard bass speakers without crossover in this setup and its more pure, but you sacrifice bass impact and fullness that was too much of a tradeoff for me.

I don't think biamping/crossovers are bad, just tradeoffs involved and you kind of need to hear them to see which ones you are willing to live with.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/20/17 at 16:59:24

Pal, you are right, bi-amping/crossovers are not bad. You just have to experiment to see what you like and what you want the final sound to be.
I will be doing the same as you soon, once I have some time to make my open baffles for the Augies that are just sitting there in boxes. I will be running them off an Adcom 100 watt amp through a sub crossover box. I will start at 80hz and go from there. I actually wish I had 3 outputs from the CSP2 pre so I could do all three at the same time. So I guess I would be in the Tri-amp camp. I think this would be ultimate way to tailor the sound to what you like or feel that day. The Fostex have beautiful mids, but lets say you want more bass, so turn up the bass, or less highs, turn down that amp or off and let the Fostex take care of the highs. I will probably end up doing this in the future.  ;D

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/22/17 at 02:27:19

Thanks fellas. That helps me understand.

Brian

IP Logged
LulaNord
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 06/22/17 at 19:23:38

Hi...i am a new user here. I think the modern thing that is in vogue is having high end digital processing that highly tweaks both crossover and phase - so each amp not only gets *only* the frequency it needs, but everything comes out of the drivers time aligned for better cohesion of the overall output. Having everything done digitally *before* the amp is not only highly accurate, but you aren't losing watts, nor at the mercy of a crossover and all it's passive parts and their variables.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/24/17 at 04:32:27

Hello, LulaNord.
Welcome to the forum!  

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print