worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23250 - 05/09/23 at 20:22:30

Replayed this one. . . like it a lot.

Rickie Lee Jones "Pieces of Treasure"

Followed by a replay of this one, also much liked:

Eliane Elias "Quietude"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23251 - 05/10/23 at 12:51:28

From the shelves

Joyce featuring Dori Caymmi "Rio Bahia" Far Out cd

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23252 - 05/10/23 at 13:08:36

Back to the stacks. After grabbing into the next box of LPs and seeing two Magical Mystery Tour, Hard Days Night, two Rubber Soul and three Sgt Peppers in my first grab, I just put them back and closed the lid.
I have all these on respectable condition early vinyl, remastered collections of CD in mono and stereo.

I switched to a box of CDs, rummaged until I saw something old, pulled this out.

What a great album! I noticed Carl Perkins doing some session work here.

Chet_Baker_Art_Pepper_Complete_Playboys_Sessions.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23253 - 05/10/23 at 13:12:09

Carl Perkins. . . a great pianist.

And I like Pepper during this period, less so the final stages of his career.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23254 - 05/10/23 at 13:40:50

From the shelves

SFJazz Collective "Miguel Zenon Retrospective" 2 cd set, disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23255 - 05/10/23 at 13:43:39

From the shelves

SFJazz Collective "Miguel Zenon Retrospective" 2 cd set, disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23256 - 05/10/23 at 15:41:41

MIles Davis "Kind of Blue" Mobile Fidleity SACD

Sounding fantastic today.

Followed by

Count Basie and His Orchestra "The Legend From the Pen of Benny Carter" WEA Japan/Roulette cd

Best I've ever heard this release.

Both from the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23257 - 05/10/23 at 17:41:58

That particular KOB is one of the few that you have that I also have.

Found quite a bit of Chet Baker in this box, but if I was trying to identify a theme for the box, it is a box of collections or compilations of many artists. Several are multi disc issues.

More Chet for now. I did not know this CD existed. There is an unpolished or raw feel to it that I like.
Honestly, it has only been a few years ago that I came to know that Chet Baker had been working for as long as he has. I have work of my own to do, it seems.
Smiley

Chet_Baker_Pacific_Jazz_Collection.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23258 - 05/10/23 at 17:59:03

Yes, there are many cd sets like this that are legal to sell in Europe as the copyright situation is different there than here in the States. Technically they are not legal to sell here as there are rights holders that are not authorizing or compensated for, but with the exception of a few powerful estates (Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, a few others) no one prosecutes them and brick and mortar and online stores sell them.

The downside to their generous offerings at low prices is that these companies have no access to original tapes or discs etc. and either make rudimentary needle-drops or appropriate other cd masterings. . . sometimes with great, sometimes pretty meh results.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23259 - 05/10/23 at 18:28:13

From the shelves

"Weaver of Dreams:  The Vocal Artistry of Kenny Burrell" Sony cd

Some great Bobby Jaspar tenor on a few tracks on this one.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23260 - 05/10/23 at 19:23:43

Thanks for sharing the Kenny Burrell album, Lon.  I very much like Kenny Burrell's guitar work, but I never knew he was also a vocalist.  Interesting to know!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23261 - 05/10/23 at 19:29:16

I think this was his first dedicated vocal recording. He has had featured vocal tracks later in his career, but this is THE "vocalist" album as far as I can tell.

I just love this guy. Period. He's a master.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23262 - 05/10/23 at 19:50:40

Agreed, Lon, he is a masterful player!

Also, thanks for the info on the inexpensive box sets in one of your other recent posts.  I did not know that the sets may have copyright issues for sale in the US.  

I have bought a few of these, and they often sound like the source was playing vinyl, with some "scratchiness" apparent.  While some Amazon reviews note that issue, to my ears the original vinyl mixes sound better than CD reissues that had the source recordings.  Sometimes remixed or re-mastered recordings lose something in the process, and there are some recordings I would rather listen to a scratchy vinyl copy than a remixed digital copy made from a clean master.  

Again, thanks Lon for all the good information you provide.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23263 - 05/10/23 at 19:56:58

Yes, sometimes they can sound "quite alright."

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23264 - 05/10/23 at 22:27:30

Enjoying some Oscar Peterson Plays Count Basie.  Streaming in Roon via SPIDIF since I’m having issues with my Roon bridge and Ropiee recognizing my Schiit Bifrost 2 Dac VIA USB.   Sadly THE OPTICAL connection is inferior by a mile vs the USB input.  Oh well….I’m still enjoying this album.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23265 - 05/11/23 at 12:20:10

SO, Lon, are you saying that some of these London, Vienna or Amsterdam releases I have in record label collections may not be legit?

Obviously I have not had the time to listen to many of them, but from the two I have heard from the '50s era recording on CD, I can clearly hear tape noise, not clicks and pops as if tracks were taken from LPs.

I have heard some LP mastered CDs before and even with their effort to digitally remove any "percussive" noise in the transfers, you can still hear the remnants of the LP capture.

Anyway, this one sounds pretty good to me, especially considering it spans a decade of technological advances.

Other than the creators not using original master tape (not that I would know an original, but I have spotted many LP to CD captures over the years), are there other ways to confirm legal status of some of these European compilations?

Just more curious than ever, because, "If it sounds good it is good."  but also I would rather not support illegally trafficked commerce.

I grew up in an extended family of musicians, more so than I have shared, but the question of copyright is a large one to me. Any more you can add?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23266 - 05/11/23 at 12:51:17

DD, it's easy to research copyright laws. At times the copyright owners often release cds with inferior mastering sources because. . . the original or better no longer exist--but they legally hold the rights to release.

In general when London, Decca, RCA (well realistically since there are really only three or so giant labels now, when Universal, Warner or Sony. . . ) release something it's their property. When Enlightenment, Proper, Real Gone etc. release material they are generally legal in Europe and not in America because the copyright laws are different.

A little research about a release can generally easily reveal whether it is legal for sale in the US or legal only for sale in Europe, or if it is legal at all (there are labels that are releasing material that is completely bootleg as well).

I try to own material legally released. I confess I have a number of recordings that were legally released in Europe and are technically not legal for sale here. For the most part I bought them from Europe. . .so I'm not sure what that means. . .I bought them from a seller where legal, and as far as I know it's not illegal to OWN these here. There's enough gray area in this area of the market that these releases are also often called "gray market" discs.

Whenever I can I try to purchase from the copyright owner labels.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23267 - 05/11/23 at 13:59:09

OK, fair enough.
I know the laws here fairly well, after spending $$$ on legal fees and two years trying to publish a book I wrote involving chronicals of some of my favorite escapades during my active years.

Technically I can not even relate some of my stories here on any public forum, lest I fall out of compliance with twenty four court orders to cease and desist from nine state attorney offices. Yes, the states become involved early on these kind of civil suits.

The copyright laws haunt me in ways that are difficult to describe to someone who has not tried to achieve wavers and rights to tell a funny story about a person who was semi-famous once.

Let's just say, I have "been learnt to" and if you don't get the southern reference ... where I come from, teaching someone is a gentle thing and done by those who care about who they teach.
But but nobody wants to have nuthin learnt to them, never.
Grin

My father and his father both have books they could not get published, so a kind of family tradition has begun, I suppose.
Smiley

Thanks for the heads up about the three you mentioned. I will just have to look more closely at some of the releases I see.
If it's too good to be true, it might be.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23268 - 05/11/23 at 14:11:48

Anyway, back to listening soon. Driving my wife to the doc for a follow up visit, an infusion and some bloodwork.

Up next I have a few Jerry Douglas albums I want to hear. He does kind of a bluesy, 'grass jazz sound at times.
This one is electric.

Jery_Douglas_Best_Kept_Secret.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23269 - 05/11/23 at 14:27:03

I understand that. My father published six biographies and had to get abundant clearances and permissions. And my two brothers, both younger, are lawyers. There are spider webs out there easily flown into! As a result all my writing efforts have always pointed at sheer fiction.

No music for me yet today. . . Lucy is now retired and spending time with her is more important to her and I'm honoring that. Soon I'll fire up the stereo for an hour or two!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23270 - 05/11/23 at 15:53:51

Our records, vinyl or paper, will outlast us all.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23271 - 05/11/23 at 16:55:38

Tom Jobim "My Soul Sings"

I will never get enough of this disc. This disc collects all the tracks that Jobim contributed to the many discs in the series "Great Brazilian Songbooks" . . . late works by the master interpreting the works of other composers. There's a vibe here that I need in my life.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23272 - 05/11/23 at 20:12:50

All went well at the doctor's visit.

I'm giving a listen to a punk kid, Micah Graves, that an old buddy gave me a few months back. A promo copy. Probably a bit jumpy for most but I've been listening to bluegrass for over an hour.
I am jumpy now, too.

Micah Graves, The Hague. No pic on the CD and I can't find much online.
Energetic jazz, not bad.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23273 - 05/12/23 at 00:42:19

From the shelves

Ivan "Boogaloo" Jones "Legends of Acid Jazz" (Vol. 1) Prestige cd

I love Jones' playing and the guitar sound from his Barney Kessel Gibson model. These are perhaps my favorite two albums of his but I like all his work.

I love the way he snuck in the riff of "Sunshine of Your Love" in one of these tracks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23274 - 05/12/23 at 19:20:38

From the shelves

Vienna Art Orchestra "American Rhapsody: A Tribute to  George Gershwin"

https://www.musik-sammler.de/cover/1091500/1091004_1509984156.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23275 - 05/12/23 at 20:22:12

Just in from a discogs seller

Graham Collier and the Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra "Winter Oranges"

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23276 - 05/13/23 at 00:38:41

New to me, again, Lon.  I'll have to look that one up.

For now and closing the night ...

ERROR message says it can't open my file.

Anyway, it's Miles at Fillmore East in 1970.

Now I'm into the 60 second error loop.

F U C K this. Either it goes through or not. No one cares at this point.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23277 - 05/13/23 at 01:41:58

Miles in 1970--tremendous energy and imagination!

Graham Collier was an English bassist, composer and bandleader. He was inspired by Miles and contemporaries and he has some really nice albums out from the 'seventies up. This one. . . it's dense orchestral music with jazz vamps and some interesting solos and soloists. I like his smaller ensemble work better, but this one will likely grow on me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23278 - 05/13/23 at 15:14:57

from the shelves

Bobby Hutcherson "Skyline" Verve cd

Kenny Garrett, Christian McBride, Al Foster, Geri Allen, Bobby Hutcherson.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23279 - 05/13/23 at 16:22:55

From the shelves

Duke Ellington Legacy with special guest Houston Person "Single Petal of a Rose"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23280 - 05/13/23 at 17:39:20

From the shelves

"Count Basie at Newport" Verve cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23281 - 05/13/23 at 19:29:35

from the shelves

"Grant Stewart Plays the Music of Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23282 - 05/13/23 at 21:53:55

Got to squeeze in a little more listening time. Rolled some tubes into the ZTPRE (6085 with adaptors) and messed with settings on my P15 and the new DSD DAC Mk2 and the sound is phenomenal! I really don't need it to ever sound better. . . but I know I'll try for that.

Listened to:

Cassandra Wilson "Blue Skies" Winter&Winter reissue of JMT session.

Followed by

Keith Jarrett Trio "Still Live" ECM Japan 2 cd set

Both from the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23283 - 05/14/23 at 17:10:14

This one again. It's a great way to compare the new DAC with and without galvanic isolation on the inputs and outputs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23284 - 05/14/23 at 17:37:42

From the shelves

Flora Purim "Perpetual Emotion"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23285 - 05/14/23 at 18:33:21

From the shelves

Milt Jackson and his Gold Medal Winners "Brother Jim" Pablo cd

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23286 - 05/14/23 at 20:30:05

I had to go and dig out that  "Still Live"  CD and give it a go today.

As tired as I am from yesterday (a lot of sun and walking all day), I can't even decide what to listen to.
Good choice.

Probably going back to Miles afterward, having moved about forty of his CDs into my quick access area in the back corner of my listening room a few days ago.
I've only just begun to pick at the new arrangement of those shelves so far.

Milt Jackson is another I've been too long from. I'm just not in any shape to go digging again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23287 - 05/14/23 at 21:59:30

Yes, hard to go wrong with any of the Jarrett trio albums, but "Still Live" is a sentimental favorite as I did a lot of listening to this with "the one who got away."

I got to do some listening again and am spinning the Milt Jackson again. Almost put in a Miles Davis disc!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23288 - 05/14/23 at 22:16:10

From the Shelves

"Pasquale Grasso Plays Duke" Sony cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23289 - 05/15/23 at 15:11:43

From the shelves

Shirley Scott "Queen Talk: Live at the Left Bank" Reel to Real 2 cd set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23290 - 05/15/23 at 15:50:01

From the shelves

Stan Getz "Serenity" Emarcy cd

This live show would be a good destination for a time machine. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23291 - 05/16/23 at 17:13:19

From the shelves

Ithamara Koorax "Red River" King Records Japan cd

Quite an interesting disc with a few dated production elements. . . not ruining the release. Her third album.

Acoustic Bass – Ron Carter
Keyboards – José Roberto Bertrami, Marcos Valle, Paulo Malaguti
Acoustic Guitar – Luiz Bonfá
Alto Saxophone – Sadao Watanabe
Arranged By – Antonio Carlos Jobim, Marcos Valle, Paulo Malaguti
Concert Grand Piano – Antonio Carlos Jobim

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23292 - 05/16/23 at 20:27:07

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23293 - 05/17/23 at 01:25:26

Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Master and Everyone
Released:  2003
Engineer: Mark Nevers

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23294 - 05/17/23 at 16:05:57

Hamilton De Holanda "Intimo" Adventure Music cd

I didn't expect to enjoy this solo mandolin album as much as I do, I got it because it was very cheap and it's on the Adventure Music label, a label I have learned to trust.

Arrived yesterday from Dusty Groove.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23295 - 05/18/23 at 11:20:40

Featuring Ricardo Silveiro, Herbie Hancock, Branford Marsalis, and Billy Childs.

A beautiful, silky album, as is typical of Caymmi's artistry as a musician AND producer.

Dori Caymmi "Kicking Cans"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23296 - 05/18/23 at 12:30:24

From the shelves

Red Garland "A Garland Of Red" Prestige/Universal Music Japan SHM-CD UCCO-5537

Red's first album as a leader. Great Paul Chambers playing here. . .great mono sound.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23297 - 05/18/23 at 15:45:43

HJ Lim, I found this slumming at Goodwill for CDs and it was complete and, thankfully, pristine. Not really reviewed well by the "scholars" of Beethoven.

I've only heard three of the eight discs and it can literally lift me and involve me.
It's a Korean youngster playing piano, but the attack and precision she is criticised for presenting is a large part of the appeal for me.

I am not capable of creating an actual review from my own mind's eye, but as with many over thought knee jerks, this is better than some reviewers portray.
I don't mind her agressive approach one bit!

HJ_Lim_Beethoven_Piano_Sonatas.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23298 - 05/18/23 at 18:55:03

There's always room for different interpretations of Beethoven's piano sonatas. I have three complete cycles myself, and each are different and very involving. Same for the string quartets. I have a set on SACD that sounds fantastic, but the oldest mono set has a really driving bass and a full sound that I love as well.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23299 - 05/18/23 at 19:47:01

Agreed, Lon. I think this might make my fifth collection, if I include some of the DG partials.
I have also a selection of string quartets (from earlier) done as octets that is amazing.
But, music is personal, if we will allow it to be.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 466 467 468 ... 504
Send Topic Print