"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23350 - 05/30/23 at 22:04:22

From the shelves

Duke Ellington "The Feeling of Jazz" Black Lion/ORG cd

I love this album. The title tune is such a great composition. And the whole thing ends with two Ray Nance vocals, a big plus! Great sound on this release as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23351 - 05/31/23 at 14:02:35

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette "Bye Bye Blackbird" ECM Japan SHM-CD

From cdjapan.co.jp

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23352 - 05/31/23 at 15:14:02

Swing from '83

Milt Jackson Quartet "Used to Be Jackson, vol. 1" TDK/Solid Records Japan cd

From cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23353 - 05/31/23 at 15:55:04

From the shelves

Kenny Barron Quintet "Images" Sunnyside cd

One of the first places I heard Mr. Harris on vibes. He's a great player.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23354 - 05/31/23 at 19:32:09

"Cannonball Adderley In Europe" Capitol/Universal Japan SHM-CD

from cd.japan.co.jp

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23355 - 06/01/23 at 02:16:37

After a bit of overload with the huge box of just CD collections, I went back into the LPs for a while and found this.

Not the biggest fan of Sun Ra, but I really like this one:

Le Sun Ra And His Cosmo Discipline Arkestra, A Night In East Berlin

Sun_Ra_Berlin_86.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23356 - 06/01/23 at 18:07:25

from the shelves

Pascoal Meirelles Trio "Tom"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23357 - 06/01/23 at 19:04:29

"Tommy Flanagan Plays the Music of Harold Arlen" Inner City/Solid Records Japan cd

Produced by Helen Merrill.

From cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23358 - 06/01/23 at 20:02:07

Shirley Horn "Travelin' Light" GRP cd

Shirley Horn – piano, vocals
Joe Newman – trumpet
Jerome Richardson – flute, tenor saxophone
Frank Wess - flute, alto and tenor saxophones
Kenny Burrell – guitar
Marshall Hawkins – bass
Bernard Sweetney – drums

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23359 - 06/03/23 at 01:04:30

'from the stack'

This is a nice one. Not rare or particularly desirable, but nice. Kind of early.

Ornette_Coleman_Shape_Of_Jazz_To_Come.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23360 - 06/03/23 at 01:08:35

I've always found those Grafton plastic saxophones fascinating. Charlie Parker had one too that he played. . . outside of the US due to a contract qualification.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23361 - 06/03/23 at 01:33:52

I did not know Charlie Parker had played one.

Wow. I learn more every day.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23362 - 06/03/23 at 02:36:13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafton_saxophone

The most notable player of a Grafton saxophone was Charlie Parker. While in Toronto, Charlie Parker and "the quintet" were scheduled to perform at Massey Hall, but Parker had pawned his saxophone - some sources say to buy heroin. A sales representative for Grafton (or the owner of the company, depending on the source) asked Parker to use a Grafton for a Massey Hall gig in May 1953. Although Parker was under exclusive contract to use only one type of saxophone while gigging in the United States, outside the U.S.A. he was free to use any sax he wished. Parker (credited as Charlie Chan due to contract issues) can be heard playing this Grafton on the album Jazz at Massey Hall with Bud Powell, Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus and Max Roach, albeit through a low fidelity recording. The Grafton saxophone that Parker used (serial number 10265) was sold at the Christie's auction house in London in September 1994 for £93,500 sterling. The buyer was the American Jazz Museum, located in Parker's home town of Kansas City, Missouri.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23363 - 06/03/23 at 03:42:13

Thanks, Lon.

That's not a part of Charlie Parker history I was ever aware of having happened.
I have mainly followed guitar players instrumental choices. Not so much with reeds and horns.
I could not even tell you what trumpet Miles Davis played, even though it could be common knowledge to many fans.
Probably searching Christie's auctions would clue me some.

Thanks for the info.

Now, you know, I'll go look up all I can find after this!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23364 - 06/03/23 at 17:04:23

Benny Goodman “Seven Come Eleven” Columbia LP

A 1976 recording that has George Benson on some tracks.

From a discogs seller

Followed by

From amazon

"History of the Grateful Dead Vol. 1 Bear's Choice" 2023 LP

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #23365 - 06/03/23 at 18:42:09

Not technically spinning but....

Bought a last minute ticket to Dead & Company's show here in CLT last Tuesday; sat in the 10th row.  Was amazed at how strong the old geezers (with help from a few youngsters) sounded.  Haven't seen them since the late-80's so didn't really know what to expect but they really rocked it; set list below.  Mickey Hart who is pushing 80 absolutely killed it in Drums, Wier's voice was strong and Mayer's guitar outrageous.  

...And the the crowd didn't disappoint either.  If you get a chance this apparently will be your last chance so I'd strongly suggest you dig out an old tie dye and go see them....

ChrisC Smiley

Set 1

Shakedoown Street
Cold Rain and Snow
Loser
Dire Wolf
Loose Lucy
The Wheel > Bertha
Let it Grow

Set 2

Help on the way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower
Fire on the Mountain > The Other One
Drums > Space
Black Peter
Sugar Magnolia
US Blues

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23366 - 06/03/23 at 18:46:56

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen them since a few times in the 'seventies. . . three times with Keith and Donna in the band. That's my time period. . .I never followed them after Keith and Donna left. Got deep into jazz and never got out.

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #23367 - 06/03/23 at 21:38:21

Lon,

I love the late 60 / early 70's Dead but didn't start seeing them live until  '81.  From where you are you could get to Riverbend in Cincy on 6/13 in a few hours....

I hear you on the Jazz I've been listening to a lot of Miles over the last year.  And just got a 2 CD version of Kenny Dorham, 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia; great recording and music

ChrisC  [smiley=tunes51.gif]

th-730885096.jpg

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23368 - 06/04/23 at 00:17:05

Yeah Chris, I'm sure I could get to a Cinncy show. . . but I'm not going to. Just not enough of an interest these days in going to concerts in general, and seeing this edition of the Dead specifically. I might make the effort if my wife wanted to go but her answer is "hell no."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23369 - 06/04/23 at 01:40:49

Got this in the mail from dustygroove.com--can't find it on discogs or at least not yet. No cover. The Hackett side is awesome--they even do a Monk tune ("Off Minor") which is odd. The Condon side is good but not as exciting--the only real star in the band is Wild Bill Davison (who always delivers).

Edit to add: I did find it on a cd I have in storage paired with a Teagarden sextet recording. This LP probably sounds better.

hacket_bobb_bobbyhack_115b.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23370 - 06/04/23 at 15:51:03

From a discogs seller

Harish Raghavan "Calls For Action"

I missed this one when released, the bassist's first as a leader. What a band! I'm not sure I would make the same engineering choices, but the music is very good.

Alto Saxophone – Immanuel Wilkins
Double Bass – Harish Raghavan
Drums – Kweku Sumbry
Piano – Micah Thomas
Vibraphone – Joel Ross

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23371 - 06/04/23 at 17:00:46

Kenny Barron "Things Unseen" Gitanes Jazz cd

Another great Barron album.

Bass – David Williams
Drums – Victor Lewis
Guitar – John Scofield
Percussion – Mino Cinelu
Piano – Kenny Barron
Saxophone – John Stubblefield
Trumpet – Eddie Henderson
Violin – Naoko Terai

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23372 - 06/05/23 at 18:31:51

Clifford Jordan "Drink Plenty Water. . . and Walk Slow"
Originally recorded in 1974 anticipated for Strata East but never released. Lots of vocals, which may not be to everyone's taste. . .

from www.mapleshadestore.com

Backing Vocals – Denise Williams, Kathy O'Boyle, Muriel Winston
Bass – Sam Jones
Bass Clarinet – Charlie Rouse
Bass, Arranged By – Bill Lee
Cello – Bernard Fennell
Drums – Billy Higgins
Mixed By, Mastered By – Malcolm Addey
Piano – Stanley Cowell
Tenor Saxophone, Lyrics By, Producer – Clifford Jordan
Trombone – Dick Griffin
Trumpet – Bill Hardman
Vocals – Donna Jordan Harris
Vocals, Lyrics By – David Smyrl

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23373 - 06/05/23 at 19:05:44

Another excellent cd from the guitar master Guinga.

Guinga "Cheio de Dedos"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23374 - 06/06/23 at 22:08:06

From amazon

One of the very few rock/blues/pop persons I still follow, and . . .

Wow. This one has the magic for me. Old timey. . .no new. . . late night front porch jam. . . no meticulously recorded studio session. . . . So wonderfully arranged, sequenced and selected. I never paid to view this when it was available, and that doesn't matter because now I can listen to it and be wrapped up in the spell.

Bob Dylan "Shadow Kingdom" Columbia/Sony cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23375 - 06/07/23 at 17:03:17

From the shelves

Talk about great mono!

"Kansas City 5,6,7 1938-1944" Chronogical Classics cd

followed by

Kenny Barron "Sambao" Gitanes Jazz cd

Kenny Barron – piano
Toninho Horta – guitar
Nico Assumpção – bass
Mino Cinelu – percussion
Victor Lewis – drums

All compositions by Barron--a beautiful album.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23376 - 06/08/23 at 00:07:36

From a discogs seller

James Francies "Purest Form" Blue Note cd

Just as in the past I would choose an artist such as Wynton Kelly or James Spaulding or Wilbur Ware to aid in exploring new music for a time (by buying sessions where they were sidemen) this decade I have picked Joel Ross and/or Immanuel Wilkins as artists to look for as sidemen on an album. That led me to this one.

Not quite what I expected. I'm digesting it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23377 - 06/08/23 at 15:08:57

From the shelves

Shirley Horn "Here's to Life" Verve cd.

Beautiful session with strings. Lucious sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23378 - 06/08/23 at 16:06:15

Coleman Hawkins "Vol. 2 1943-1944" Neatwork cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23379 - 06/08/23 at 19:07:27

James Francies "Flight" Blue Note cd

From amazon.com

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23380 - 06/08/23 at 22:56:14

Wow, I haven't put this one in the transport for a while. With the new DAC the sound on this really grabs my attention. Percussion and stringed instruments have real texture and presence.

An interesting project conceived and produced by the late Bob Belden who was always generous in communication with me and other fans. Miles pieces re-imagined with care and innovation compared to the originals. Neat arrangements and performances. And some excellent engineering.

"Miles Espanol: New Sketches of Spain" 2 disc set

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23381 - 06/09/23 at 15:54:20

Barney Wilen "French Ballads" Elemental Music cd reissue.

A beautiful way to start a day's listening. Both the music and the sound. . . gorgeous.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23382 - 06/10/23 at 15:43:48

Lon….great minds think alike !!  I had that exact CD playing last night.  It’s truly a great album…the  attached booklet is also a nice bonus.

Last night I fired up a new vinyl album I just got in the mail… The Remarkable Carmell Jones.  A great recording and quite enjoyable…

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23383 - 06/10/23 at 16:01:03

That's a good one too--I have it on a cd from. . . last century!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23384 - 06/10/23 at 16:57:02

Tania Maria "Viva Brazil"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23385 - 06/10/23 at 17:34:04

Chet Baker Trio "Live in Paris" Elemental Music 2 cd set.

Revisiting this one . . . quite good performances from Chet. And sound is decent, especially good trumpet sound.

From the shelves

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #23386 - 06/11/23 at 13:21:06

Some very well recorded, interesting offerings on this lengthy Qobuz Audio partner playlist. I'm giving it a listen today:

Listen to the playlist IKIGAI Audio by IKIGAI audio on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/12823742

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23387 - 06/11/23 at 16:22:46

Harish Raghavan "In Tense" Whirlwind Records cd

This one will test your system's bass playback. I like the music. . . Eric Harland always delivers, as does Joel Ross here.

Harish Raghavan - double bass
Eric Harland - drums
Charles Altura - guitar
Joel Ross - vibraphone/marimba
Morgan Guerin - tenor saxophone, electric wind instrument, bass clarinet

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23388 - 06/11/23 at 17:10:02

Chet Baker Trio "Live in Paris" Elemental Music 2 cd set. Disc 2

Revisiting disc 2 of this one . . .  

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23389 - 06/11/23 at 18:04:31

Sonny Stitt "Boppin' in Baltimore--Live at the Left Bank" Jazz Detective 2 cd set, disc 2

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23390 - 06/12/23 at 16:09:17

From the shelves

Gary Meek "Step 7"

A nice somewhat smooth session I picked up because Airto, Flora Purim and Jose Neto are on board.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23391 - 06/12/23 at 16:38:21

Jose James "New York 2020" disc 1 (of 2)

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23392 - 06/14/23 at 12:40:34

Been thinking of my Dad this week as I always talked to him about the news each evening his last few years. So I'm starting today with this one:

A favorite of his, and something I've heard with him on and off over my life.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23393 - 06/15/23 at 01:03:13

Finally getting to spin music again today after a day of plumbing and cooking.

Joe Williams "Having the Blues under European Sky" LRC Japan cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #23394 - 06/16/23 at 19:03:14

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #23395 - 06/16/23 at 19:08:46

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #23396 - 06/16/23 at 19:21:07

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23397 - 06/16/23 at 21:55:15

Yes I’m a big Elvis fan as well!   Just got this album on vinyl a few days ago and finally getting a chance to sit down and enjoy it.  

The quality of the recording is actually pretty good.  If you have to own one of his album’s, this would be a top pick next to Jailhouse Rock.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23398 - 06/16/23 at 22:34:40

From the old archives…  BMG issued this limited edition promo mini disc single of “Young and Beautiful”.  I have three of them, the other color they issued was a light blue disc with a different picture.  He had dedicated this song to Lisa Marie when she was born.  

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23399 - 06/17/23 at 00:48:37

Elvis is awesome. I deliberately used present tense.
I only have a few albums and several are soundtrack releases, still great. But the "1s" might be my next Elvis purchase.

I have uncovered eleven Moody Blues albums from the stack of stuff.
I hade five before.
My buddy had two earlier albums I did not have, same five of course and four more of the later material. Early ones are mono.
I have always thought of them as a kind of often ignored, vastly under rated band.

SO, Moody Blues coma for me right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 468 469 470 ... 503
Send Topic Print