"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23200 - 04/21/23 at 18:29:23

From the shelves

Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones "My Fire" Prestige Records

I love Joe's playing . . . and I envy him that Barney Kessel Gibson.

Interesting how he links "Light My Fire" and "It Ain't Necessarily So" in the title track.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23201 - 04/21/23 at 22:08:00

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23202 - 04/22/23 at 18:51:32

From an ebay purchase

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23203 - 04/22/23 at 21:46:13

I keep "washing" every album before I play them. Unknown, new acquisition, out of respect for the music, just in case, etc.
These albums that were set aside, archived the way he did them, these are crystal clear and as clean as I have seen.
I'm still going to go through the process, out of respect for the music and the age of some of these LPs.

I found this in the stack. I have always loved Wes Montgomery. My dad taught me about his music when I was still searching.
My dad was country music singer, songwriter, player and band leader (only in his spare time toward the end), but he knew about Wes and a few others.

Winton_Kelly_Wes_Montgomery_Smokin_At_The_Half_Note.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23204 - 04/23/23 at 16:32:36

Angelina Jordon was born in 2006 in Norway
this album was recorded in 2018.
The sound I hear just doesn't compute that it could be created by a 12 year old girl.
The potential here is limitless.

It's Magic
Angelina Jordan

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23205 - 04/23/23 at 18:26:47

In yesterday from amazon

Walter Bishop Jr. "Bish at the Bank" cd 1

Released on 2LP set for RSD, and 2 cd set (not limited to record stores) the same day. Harold Vick sounds really nice here! Mastering is good for a Left Bank recording.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23206 - 04/23/23 at 19:31:36

From the shelves

Kenny Burrell "Lucky So and So" Concord cd

Perfect album for this afternoon and it sounds splendid on this system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23207 - 04/23/23 at 23:48:29

I have a white label promo MONO copy and it sounds very good . . . but. . .I need to find a stereo copy one day. This would be so much better in stereo.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23208 - 04/24/23 at 02:02:22

I used to love my promo copies. They made me feel good, maybe even special. I had an IN or whatever. I was young for a long time.
Grin

Close to half of mine are signed by the artist, since often the artist was there in the radio stations (where I had my Ins) to do a ten minute interview or something.

It was a while before I realized what you just presented. They are really dodgy copies! Most of the time.
Enough about promos.

This was in the stack and Discogs has this listed as a starting point at around $40. I really did not think I had a handful of treasure until I dug in to it all. Now I may rethink that position. This stack is actually more than I could have imagined it could turn out to be.

I've been listening to jazz all week, except for a crazy break this morning.

But, you got me looking for Kenny Burrell! I found one. There are more!
This is an amazing album.

Kenny_Burrell_Art_Blakey_On_View_At_The_Five_Spot_Cafe.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23209 - 04/24/23 at 04:59:02

Another really nice Blue Note.

Horace Silver, 6 Pieces Of Silver
Nothing more to say, really. Amazing pristine condition for anything this old. Yep, mono.

It's getting close to Magic Time. I'm not going to stop for a while.
Probably put down my laptop for the night though and stop reporting.
Smiley

Horace_Silver_Six_Pieces_Of_Silver.jpg

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23210 - 04/25/23 at 02:47:47

“Grease”  Original Soundtrack just arrived from Discogs on Vinyl with the RSO label and pressed in Europe…which is apparently cleaner than the USA pressing.

I must say that this copy was quiet…free of clicks and pops.  Great analog sound…my only minor complaint is that when it was mastered…it seems they didn’t pay too much attention to overall volume levels between a number of tracks.  Other than that it’s a keeper that will get a lot of play…esp. when my family comes over.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23211 - 04/25/23 at 03:07:06

Kiersten Edkins Shapes and Sounds finally arrived on vinyl after being on back order.  First album cut from Kevin Gray’s new all analog studio On Coherent Records.   I’ve been dying to hear this album since it’s been out and I have to say that the quality  recording itself was just amazing.  This should be the new standard from what all modern albums should sound like.  As far as the music itself from the artist…it was good but I expected a lot more.  Recording is a 10 out of 10…the music is like a 7 out of 10.  If you want to hear a truly great analog recording….then definitely buy this album.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23212 - 04/25/23 at 10:20:15

Found Grease and Dirty Dancing DVDs yesterday. Will be good to have on the shelf for family get togethers at home. Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" DVD was also ordered online. My brother, who borrowed it dozens of years ago, refers to that DVD as his. I did not want to argue.

Over 200 lps, 30 cds, and 29 music DVDs bought in April. My 2023 budget is depleted.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23213 - 04/26/23 at 19:09:49

John….I’ve been seeking out Dirty Dancing on LP as well.  You had one hell of an April buying spree.  Awesome!!  I just hit up my friend who was promising me his collection…I’m hoping to have them in the upcoming week.  I’m taking a break from buying vinyl for a bit… need to be somewhat fiscally responsible.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23214 - 04/29/23 at 15:45:41

Sonny Stitt "The Last Sessions Vols. 1 and 2" Savoy Jazz cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23215 - 04/29/23 at 16:19:44

Olivia Byington "Dama de Encantado"

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23216 - 04/30/23 at 03:54:26

Another treasured find. This pressing is from '70, so not early or considered tops, but one I believe to be an important album to own.

Ron Carter, Uptown Conversation

A few more of his to come.

Ron_Carter_Uptown_Conversation.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23217 - 04/30/23 at 20:40:08

From the shelves

No BS Brass Band "Fight Song: A Tribute to Charles Mingus" Not On cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23218 - 04/30/23 at 21:09:41

Marcus Roberts "Deep in the Shed: A Blues Suite" J-Master cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23219 - 05/01/23 at 14:28:49

Sonny Stitt "In Case You Forgot How Bad he Really Was" Savoy Jazz cd

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23220 - 05/01/23 at 15:19:43

I really like that Nonet!  I only have it on CD.

I was playing what could be called the Third Symphony from this 1958 album and I am often amazed at the quality that the average person could attain in a decent listening space in those days.

These were actually recorded in '49 through '52, all at Carnegie Hall and later compiled for release as a collection.

Sorry for the shit pic!
This is what happens when I try to use my own pics, thus I usually just snag one from somewhere.
I email a hi-rez version to myself and Xfinity turns it into a thumbnail version to save themselves bandwidth at my expense. Bastards!
Smiley

Beethoven_Nine_Symphonies.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23221 - 05/01/23 at 15:30:08

I do not think there has ever been an LP of that Marcus Roberts cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23222 - 05/01/23 at 15:38:27

Bill Evans "Treasures" Elemental Records 2 cd set, cd 1

Solo, trio and with orchestra--one of the best of the series of Evans material Zev Feldman has brought forward.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23223 - 05/01/23 at 15:52:19

Lon wrote on 05/01/23 at 15:30:08:
I do not think there has ever been an LP of that Marcus Roberts cd.

So I'm already as close to the Cool Kid's table as I can get?

I don't have much of his work; a "Joy Of Joplin" a friend gave me who bought it thinking it was about Janis and also a set made with Winton Marsalis.
I really need MORE!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23224 - 05/01/23 at 16:00:00

Personally I think cds are as cool as LPs.

Yes, he has immense talent. I saw him in the original Antone's location in Austin and he is the only pianist I saw whose hands actually became a blur on the keyboards -- in person, not videotape. And each note was precisely place, no distortion. He can play it all. I think my favorite two of his are "In Honor of Duke" and "Cole after Midnight."

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23225 - 05/01/23 at 17:39:54

Willy DeVille
Unplugged in Berlin
Released: 2011
Engineer, Mixing: Clemens Grulich      
Seth Farber      Featured Artist, Piano, Vocals (Background)
David Keyes      Bass (Upright), Featured Artist, Vocals (Background)

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23226 - 05/01/23 at 20:15:24

Lon wrote on 05/01/23 at 16:00:00:
Personally I think cds are as cool as LPs.

I agree!  Even some of the early ones can sound great.
I was just trying to be funny. Seldom works.

The music I want to hear these days was not affected by the horrid "volume wars" trend in CD production that over compressed things to make the CD sound louder than competition.

I intend to settle in after some daddy chores in a bit and Tidal some more Marcus Roberts. He is one of many artists I have "criminally" neglected in my collecting over the years.

Done with classical for now and back to some Kenny Burrell.

Kenny_Burrell_Weaver_Of_Dreams.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23227 - 05/01/23 at 20:31:24

I knew you were being funny, just added my personal opinion. I got back into vinyl about 12 years ago but my listening is about 98 percent cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23228 - 05/02/23 at 16:18:08

Two intimate recordings today show off just how amazing the system is--one a trio and one a quartet release. The space in the sound, the resonant details of the instruments interacting with the rooms, the beautiful tone of the sounds--these recordings will probably sound wonderful on any system, but the PS Audio/Decware fusion I have going on creates a beautiful and expressive listening experience.

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette "Yesterdays" ECM cd

Followed by

Chet Baker "Blue Room: The 1979 VARA Studio Sessions in Holland" Jazz Detective Records, 2 cd set,disc 1

The Jarrett is from my shelves, the Baker arrived from Amazon on Saturday.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23229 - 05/02/23 at 16:56:15

From the mail yesterday via Dusty Groove.

Jeanne Lee "Conspiracy" newly released cd.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23230 - 05/02/23 at 19:58:28

Chip Taylor
The Cradle Of All Living Things
Released 2023

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23231 - 05/03/23 at 17:04:56

Vienna Art Orchestra "Duke Ellington & Charles Mingus" Verve cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23232 - 05/03/23 at 18:10:16

From the shelves

Disc 2. This is a very nice set.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23233 - 05/03/23 at 19:25:41

Térez Montcalm
Voodoo
Released: 2006
Audio Engineer, Engineer: Denis Normandeau      

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23234 - 05/03/23 at 22:24:17

Enjoying some Al Cohn….

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23235 - 05/04/23 at 14:08:21

From a discogs seller

Duke Ellington "Volume 10: 1947-1951" Neatwork cd

I'm glad I picked up this one--it has a few alternates and a number of unissued Columbia sides I have never heard before.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23236 - 05/05/23 at 15:11:28

Still enjoying some Kenny Burrell, this time with John Coltrane.

I might be turning beatnik or something. I just love this!
Grin

I have found two copies, one seems original-ish "New Jazz" and another looks to be factory sealed with a different cover, but the same music, remastered and pressed in stereo from Prestige about a decade later.

I have had advice (Hoffman Forum, other vintage new albums) to just rip them open and play them, otherwise they are useless, etc.

I'm not sure I believe that. This Prestige is a brand new album, like a condition MS65 or MS70 if we were talking numismatics.
Do I really want to begin its disposal and decline of condition today?
Not today.

I am playing the New Jazz version in mono.

Kenny_Burrell_With_John_Coltrane.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23237 - 05/05/23 at 15:18:35

That session of Kenny and John I think is only really available in mono, if there's a stereo it's "electronically channeled" for stereo, rarely a good thing. New Jazz was the Prestige subsidiary label this was first issued on, you may well have a first pressing.

Right now
From the shelves

Odd cover. Nice playing and singing. Good sound!

Roseanna Vitro "Clarity--Music of Clare Fischer"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23238 - 05/06/23 at 01:45:27

From the shelves:

In from amazon yesterday:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23239 - 05/06/23 at 17:22:07

From the shelves

Ivan Boogaloo Jones "Sweet Back"

Followed by

"Marian McPartland Plays the Music of Billy Strayhorn"

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23240 - 05/07/23 at 03:16:11

Not my normal fare, but I'm just in the mood for this. Might be her first.

I have bought her latest CD as well, a bit late to the table, but still here.

Taking a little break from digging through boxes today.

Somi!  At times during the recording I wish her vocal had been featured more prominently. Still moody and a nice listen.

Somi_If_The_Rains_Come_FIrst.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23241 - 05/07/23 at 15:57:09

From the shelves

"Jazz at the New School" Eddie Condon/Wild Bill Davidson/Ken Davern/Dick Wellstood/Gene Krupa.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23242 - 05/07/23 at 16:48:58

Disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23243 - 05/07/23 at 17:23:34

From the shelves

Monday Michiru "Routes"

This is the one that got me into Monday's work. Really good on revisiting.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23244 - 05/08/23 at 15:00:25

From the shelves

Bill Evans "Treasures" Elemental Music 2 cd set, disc 2

Wow. This is a great 2 cd set.

The new DSD Mk2 is really settled in nicely and the sound is wonderful. The SE84UFO3 Monoblocks are warmed up and really dishing out all the nuanced loveliness.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23245 - 05/08/23 at 16:28:51

From the shelves

Laurindo Almeida, Bud Shank "Brazilliance Vol. 2" World Pacific cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23246 - 05/08/23 at 23:55:05

Rickie Lee Jones "Pieces of Treasure"

From amazon last week

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23247 - 05/09/23 at 12:21:51

Hey, Lon, I think it was you who clued me to Bud Shank few years back. I have bought a few CDs that I could find.

I had to look up and stream that "Brazilliance" album. I was about a song and a half in when I ordered it for further listening. (Amazon)

That one reason is enough to keep this thread going, or possibly begin a new one if this one gets too long and clunky for the forum software. That could have been a contributing factor in Geno's trouble posting here. Don't know without looking further into his set up. Not going to happen.
Loads of pages and dozens of pics linked on each page often is more than a mouthful for a forum.

Thank you for what you have given so freely.

Just some DAWG and Jerry for me this morning. I have it all (studio, barn and garage) or at least fairly close.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23248 - 05/09/23 at 13:42:35

Yes, there's a Vol. 1 of the Shank/Almeida collaborations as well, the two cds reissuing five or so Pacific Jazz LPs they did together, with also the amazing support of Gary Peacock on bass and Chuck Flores on drums.

Fascinating music. Master musicians exploring.

I intend to keep contributing to this thread. I have had no issues with it, though I don't and don't intend to use a smart phone.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23249 - 05/09/23 at 14:13:04

Yep, I ordered that one, too. Three in all, but I skipped the two vocal offerings with similar titles.

Doesn't take me long to decide I will never enjoy some guy crooning. I do have a lot of crooners, but I'm picky with male vocals.
Cheesy

I do use an older smartphone, same as Steve said he records his youtube selections. Samsung S9. I've had it since they first came out. Replaced an eight year old Sony/Ericsson with the Samsung.

I use it as a phone and sometimes a camera. Mindless word game or two and that's it. I would never try to post using a phone. Just not my way.

I'll have to look for the Pacific Jazz albums.
Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 465 466 467 ... 503
Send Topic Print