What's spinning? (Read 1156749 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #21950 - 08/08/22 at 18:11:08

https://youtu.be/Xd9R9S6-9E4 HD 1080p
SERENADE - A beautifully filmed and danced performance of one of Balanchine's most beautiful works.
The NYC Ballet * The leads are Darci Kistler, Kyra Nichols, Maria Calegari, Adam Luders, and Leonid Koslov.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21951 - 08/08/22 at 19:21:08

Grateful Dead "Get Shown the Light" May 3, 1977 disc 3

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21952 - 08/08/22 at 21:33:35

https://youtu.be/gaNRhE2PLC8 HD 1080p
scientists - weird love (1986) complete, ripped from vinyl
in 1986 big time records signed australian swamp garage band the scientists and suggested a compilation to break them to the UK/US market. instead they re-recorded songs from their earlier singles and EPs during 3 days in london with new wave producer richard mazda.

1) Swampland 0:00
2) Hell Beach 4:14
3) Demolition Derby 6:44
4) Murderess In A Purple Dress 11:20
5) We Had Love 13:36
6) Nitro 17:43
7) It It's The Last Thing I Do 20:09
8) Lead Foot 24:00
9) When Fate Deals Its Mortal Blow 27:06
10) Atom Bomb Baby 29:45
11) Set It On Fire 32:52
12) You Only Live Twice 35:24

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21953 - 08/08/22 at 22:57:41

Ian Carr and Nucleus "Elastic Rock" cd, from the "Torrid Zone" box set.

I used to have this LP many many years ago and it's nice to have it now on cd. Remastering is excellent on this box set!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21954 - 08/09/22 at 07:29:40

https://youtu.be/PMsYuFrKUQ8 HD 1080p
Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians
Performance at Temple Performing Arts Center Philadelphia.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21955 - 08/09/22 at 14:54:16

https://youtu.be/61667KOxuKc HD1080p

Heifetz - Sarasate - Zigeunerweisen (Lo-Fi vinyl)

Backtomusic Lo-Fi audiophile remastering demonstrates the unique sound features of vinyl and shellac records, the most important of which are clarity and musicality. The records were digitized on vintage tube DIY monophonic audio equipment and were not subjected to any additional processing with the help of noise cancelers and declickers, which, from our point of view, cause music incomparably more harm than good.

See more at https://www.backtomusic.ru

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21956 - 08/09/22 at 15:33:29

Monday Michiru "Enso" cd

I'm a big fan of Monday Michiru, not surprising as I am a fan of both her parents, jazz musicians. This one was worth waiting for.

From her website:

THE ENSO STORY
In 2019, I started thinking about a new recording project and approached producer-arranger Gil Goldstein to see if he would consider coming on board. I had in mind an acoustic recording with great arrangements and orchestrations, tapping into some of the sonics of my youth as a classical flute student and tying into what I do today. An introduction by Gil led to talks with a major label in Japan…then the pandemic hit. All seemed lost.

But with the bad always comes the good, and while the initial project got scrapped, I was fortunate to be awarded an SBA Loan and slowly rebuilt the project albeit not the fully orchestrated version initially envisioned, but an album that still felt full, gorgeous, and from the heart. Gil arranged and produced 3 tracks including one of his original compositions, arranger Miho Hazama came on board for 2 tracks, Brazilian artist Lucas Arruda wrote, produced and even played all the instruments on a song, poet Ursula Rucker came on board as a guest which fulfilled a bucket list of mine, koto artist Asuka and my stepfather Lew Tabackin also lent their spectacular talents, as well as saxophonist Steve Wilson, not to mention all the amazing musicians who are some of my favorite on earth. Long time friend, engineer and sonic wizard Dave Darlington gelled it all together into an album I am incredibly proud of.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21957 - 08/09/22 at 16:09:49

Talking about flute I was just about to post this one
https://youtu.be/CVZAi5IlJV8 Lo-Fi 480p
Johnny Rae's Afro Jazz Septet ‎– Herbie Mann's African Suite (1959 - Album)

Tracklist:

[00:00]  1. St. Thomas
Written By – Rollins
[08:04]  2. Sorimao
[13:30]  3. Jungle Fantasy
Written By – Morales
[21:27]  4. Bedouin
[26:14]  5. Sudan
[30:09]  6. Ekunda
[33:22]  7. Guinean

Credits:

Contrabass – Jack Six
Drums – "Philly" Joe Jones
Flute, Bass Clarinet – Herbie Mann
Piano – Bob Corwin
Tambora – Carlos "Patato" Valdes, Jose Mangual, Victor Pantoja
Vibraphone – Johnny Rae
Written-By – Herbie Mann (tracks: 2, 4-7)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21958 - 08/09/22 at 16:39:20

That's a cool one. I have it with this cover:

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21959 - 08/09/22 at 17:50:47

https://youtu.be/784vBuUrUFQ

Paul Chambers (Usa, 1957) - Bass on Top (Full)

Paul Chambers - bass
Hank Jones - piano
Kenny Burrell - guitar
Art Taylor - drums

00:00 - Yesterdays
05:56 - You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
13:13 - Chasin' the Bird
19:33 - Dear Old Stockholm
26:18 - The Theme
32:33 - Confessin'
36:47 - Chamber Mates

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21960 - 08/09/22 at 17:54:03

Lon wrote Quote:
That's a cool one. I have it with this cover:

I think UAL 4042 is mono

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21961 - 08/09/22 at 18:04:09

According to discogs.com it was both mono and stereo releases. I have a copy in storage that I think may be mono, but I won't get to it in a long time.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3933731-Johnny-Raes-Afro-Jazz-Septet-Herbie-Mann...

I have a Japanese cd with this cover that I believe is true stereo.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21962 - 08/09/22 at 18:35:53

https://elementalmusicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/french-ballads

Barney Wilen "French Ballads" Elemental Music cd (reissue)

Beautiful music and sound.

a0091110508_10.jpg

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21963 - 08/09/22 at 19:24:09

Listening Now https://youtu.be/Tu2kWAXrlC0 HD 1080p
The Steve Miller Band -- Brave New World-- Full Album 1969

Brave New World –  (Steve Miller) 00:00
Celebration Song –  (Ben Sidran, Steve Miller) 03:30
Can't You Hear Your Daddy's Heartbeat –  (Tim Davis)  06:01
Got Love 'Cause You Need It –  (Ben Sidran, Steve Miller) 08:32
Kow Kow –  (Steve Miller)  10:58

Seasons – (Ben Sidran, Steve Miller) 15:26
Space Cowboy – Ben Sidran, Steve Miller) 19:16
LT's Midnight Dream –  (Lonnie Turner) 24:12
My Dark Hour –  (Steve Miller) 26:42

Steve Miller – guitar, lead vocals (1, 2, 4–7, 9), harmonica
Glyn Johns – guitar, backing vocals, percussion
Lonnie Turner – bass guitar (all but 9), backing vocals, guitar
Ben Sidran – keyboards
Tim Davis – drums (all but 9), lead vocals (3, 8)
Additional personnel
Nicky Hopkins – piano (5)
Paul McCartney (as "Paul Ramon") – backing vocals (2), bass guitar, drums (9),[7] guitar (9)[5]

Production
Glyn Johns and Steve Miller
Recording Engineer – Glyn Johns
Recorded at Sound Recorders, Hollywood, California. "My Dark Hour" recorded at Olympic Studios, London, May, 1969.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21964 - 08/09/22 at 19:38:07

Nucleus & Ian Carr "Torrid Zone: The Vertigo Recordings 1970-1975" disc 2

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21965 - 08/09/22 at 22:26:45

On your link Lon at the bottom I saw the US stereo # was UAS 5042 in 1959

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21966 - 08/10/22 at 04:49:08

Listening Now   Quote:
Barney Wilen "French Ballads" Elemental Music cd (reissue)

Beautiful music and sound.

Thanks for the Link LON https://elementalmusicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/french-ballads

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21967 - 08/10/22 at 13:30:41

https://youtu.be/dE_XVl7fwBQ HD 1080p
Zen Music for inner balance

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21968 - 08/10/22 at 13:54:20

Lon wrote on 08/09/22 at 19:38:07:
Nucleus & Ian Carr "Torrid Zone: The Vertigo Recordings 1970-1975" disc 2

https://i.discogs.com/4xR6qF_NEv6QE8JBaPySX9kp4bnt-FOt0mVguvKplUg/rs:fit/g:sm/q:...

Listening to this disc 2 again. It has a really nice blend of jazz and funk and that sort of unique British verve that King Crimson and other seminal prog bands were beginning to mine.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21969 - 08/10/22 at 14:53:39

Continuing my way through the Tania Maria catalog.

Tania Maria "Viva Brazil" Concord Picante cd

Bass – Carlos Werneck, Marc Bertaux
Drums – Stéphane Huchard
Drums, Percussion – Luiz Augusto Cavani
Percussion – Mestre Carneiro
Piano, Vocals, Synthesizer, Producer – Tania Maria
Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet – Claudio De Queiroz

This one is a Tania Maria production, and I like it a lot. There's a real sameness to her catalog, but if the music is this good it's not a problem!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21970 - 08/10/22 at 15:56:14

Stan Getz & Chet Baker "The Stockholm Concerts" Verve cd 3

Nice accompaniment and pretty darned nice sound.

Bass – George Mraz
Drums – Victor Lewis
Piano – Jim McNeely
Tenor Saxophone – Stan Getz
Trumpet – Chet Baker

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21971 - 08/10/22 at 19:59:06

SFJazz Collective "The Music of Thelonious Monk& Original Compositions" disc 2 (the original compositions).

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21972 - 08/11/22 at 12:49:26

https://youtu.be/tx6K2xqxvEk HD 1080p
Blows Against the Empire is a concept album by Paul Kantner, released under the name Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship. It is the first album to use the "Starship" moniker, a name which Kantner and Grace Slick would later use for the band Jefferson Starship that emerged after Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen left Jefferson Airplane. From a commercial standpoint, it performed comparably to Jefferson Airplane albums of the era, peaking at No. 20 on the Billboard 200 and receiving a RIAA gold certification. It was one of the first two albums to be nominated for a Hugo Award in the category of Best Dramatic Presentation

Paul Kantner – vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, banjo, bass machine
Grace Slick – vocals, piano
Jerry Garcia – banjo on "Let's Go Together" and "The Baby Tree"; pedal steel guitar on "Have You Seen the Stars Tonite"; sound effects and vocals on "XM"; lead guitar on "Starship"
David Crosby – vocals and guitar on "A Child Is Coming" and "Have You Seen the Stars Tonite"; backing vocals on "Mau Mau" and "Starship"
Peter Kaukonen – lead guitar on "Mau Mau"
Jack Casady – bass on "A Child Is Coming" and "Sunrise"
Harvey Brooks – bass on "Starship"
Joey Covington – drums and vocals on "Mau Mau"; congas on "Hijack"
Bill Kreutzmann – drums on "Let's Go Together"
Graham Nash – congas on "Hijack"; sound effects on "Home"; backing vocals on "Starship"
Mickey Hart – percussion on "Have You Seen the Stars Tonite"; sound effects and vocals on "XM"
David Freiberg – backing vocals on "Starship"
Phill Sawyer – sound effects on "Home" and "XM"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21973 - 08/11/22 at 16:23:40

I bought "Blows Against the Empire" when it was first released. I really enjoy it. I wish Mobile Fidelity would produce an SACD.

Today I felt like starting off with some Bud Freeman. This one has some really interesting work on clarinet by Peanuts Hucko, who I saw in San Antionio before he passed away. I love this style of jazz. It's hard to feel bad when it's spinning. And Bud had a certain shape to his sound that was both heavy and light at once. That's the best way I can describe it.

Bud Freeman "1946" Chronogical Classics cd

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21974 - 08/11/22 at 16:38:21

I still have my original Dynaflex RCA LSP 4448 copy, the YouTube version is terrible. They re-issued the album on record store Day in 2020 but some of the master tapes tracks are wrong, originally a lot of those tracks are demos that were never polished up. If you still have your original hold onto it.

PS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynaflex_(RCA)

Dynaflex is a trademark for a thin, lightweight vinyl LP phonograph record introduced by RCA Records in late 1969. Rather than using the stiff plastic material used by conventional vinyl pressings, Dynaflex records used a softer, pliable formulation that allowed RCA to use less material, saving money and also making the record appear to lie flatter on turntables. At the time, as a cost-cutting measure, most industry record pressing plants were using recycled or "reground" vinyl, taking old and unsold records, cutting out the center with the paper labels, then melting the rest down and reusing the material to make new records. Such "reground" vinyl records typically sounded much noisier and scratchier when played than a record made from new or "virgin" vinyl; collectors noted that records pressed from "reground" vinyl sometimes had small remnants of paper labels or other materials embedded in them.

RCA's Dynaflex records varied somewhat in thickness, but most literally "flopped" back and forth when held between the hands. Some were so thin and flexible they could actually be bent nearly in half. This flexibility also gave them theoretically more resiliency in shipping, resulting in fewer returns from retailers due to breakage and cracks.

Opinions from record collectors and audiophiles are divided as to Dynaflex's sound quality. Some felt that the sound quality actually improved, due to the purer vinyl used, and better processes for removing impurities in the vinyl compounds; others felt that Dynaflex pressings were noisier and lacked bass frequencies compared to conventional records, and also had more "rumble" (low frequency noise) than conventional thick pressings. While RCA claimed that Dynaflex records were less noisy and less susceptible to warpage and would last longer than conventional vinyl records, some consumers (particularly classical listeners) derisively referred to the new product as 'Dynawarp' because of evidence that Dynaflex records were prone to warp on dealers' shelves, just from the pressure of the shrinkwrap on the album jacket. Some critics charged that Dynaflex was nothing more than a ploy devised by RCA to save money by using less vinyl than in traditional, thicker records.

RCA Records apparently never fully implemented the use of Dynaflex, as regular thicker vinyl records continued to be manufactured; many titles issued by RCA were available in both Dynaflex and heavier vinyl pressings. Around 1974-75, RCA began to gradually reduce the number of Dynaflex records being manufactured; Dynaflex records were quietly discontinued entirely, sometime in the late 1970s.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21975 - 08/11/22 at 18:19:28

Yes, I still have the original. It's not in the best shape but not trashed. I dust it off now and then, and I have cd copy I play more often. Great album.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21976 - 08/11/22 at 18:22:48

Disc 1 of 4. This was a great deal, used for 12 dollars. www.dustygroove.com has a new copy for 23 which is still a great deal.

Sound isn't perfect, but seems pretty decent on all discs (mono).

Ray Charles "Antibes 1961"

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21977 - 08/12/22 at 06:22:48

https://youtu.be/cEY9deRvV2w HD 1080 24K

"Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow"

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21978 - 08/12/22 at 19:51:02

https://youtu.be/32Mtmfcn84A HD 1080p

Miles Davis / Sorcerer

Wayne Shorter (ts)
Herbie Hancock (p)
Ron Carter (b except )
Tony Williams (ds)

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #21979 - 08/12/22 at 22:21:44

Re: BLOFI that Steve Reich music for 18 musicians was great. Thanks for sharing.
Anyone else been following these kids over the last couple years: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZ8VPvk-5I
Not hifi, but great musicians. The next generation taking it to the next level.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21980 - 08/13/22 at 05:59:08

Manny The Cow Domi & Jd Beck last song ( Coltrane’s "My favorite things") from 22-07-06 Club Soda Montréal! was cool. Montreal is a hip little town. When I was in the Adirondacks we used to go up there for shows only 90 minutes away on the Northway. Nice scene around McGill University.
The Steve Reich came from Devon Turnbull the OJAS guy who just did a Hi-Fi Dream Room at the Lisson Gallery. This one is called
Steve Reich - Electric Counterpoint, Recordings Vol. 2 1987
https://youtu.be/mnbIFW6mnNU HD 1080p
enjoy Bicycle Joe

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21981 - 08/13/22 at 09:46:39

Early start today, repeating what I played last night.
I just got this CD after hearing it at a friend's house recently. He has the Gold SACD version, super transport and DAC set up. I'm nowhere near that. I show him old jazz and he shows me new jazz.
Very nicely done recording!

I'm probably going to order a few more from Octave Records as time progresses.

You can stream the music, one song at a time, at this link for a taste.
https://www.psaudio.com/products/mini-brazilian-beasts/

Carmen Sandim.

Carmin_Sandim_Mini_Brazilian_Beasts.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21982 - 08/13/22 at 10:50:41

While I was shopping that site, I also grabbed this one.
They call the style "Gypsy Grass?"  Some world sounds mixed in with traditional folk intrumentation.
Appeals to me!

https://www.psaudio.com/products/everlasting-dance/

Tierro_Band_Everlasting_Dance.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21983 - 08/13/22 at 12:21:05

I don't often buy new music until I have "digested" it some, but this kid also impressed me. Only offered in digital downloads and SACD right now, but these versions include a CD layer.
It will play on my old Pioneer Elite bluray player which I use for streaming and CDs.
So, I'm all set, right, but the player is offering me the SACD 5.1 signal from this disc as an option.
I have several older SACDs that won't play at all on this Pioneer, so I figured I needed to upgrade at some point. I lost some of my fear of SACD a little with this discovery.

Anyway, shopping spree is over for now.

Jeremy Mohney likes the swing style.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/dreams-of-you/

Jeremy_Mohney_Dreams_Of_You.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21984 - 08/13/22 at 13:08:20

Yes I posted this a few weeks ago. Nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21985 - 08/13/22 at 13:28:39

Same Old DD wrote on 08/13/22 at 09:46:39:
Early start today, repeating what I played last night.
I just got this CD after hearing it at a friend's house recently. He has the Gold SACD version, super transport and DAC set up. I'm nowhere near that. I show him old jazz and he shows me new jazz.
Very nicely done recording!

I'm probably going to order a few more from Octave Records as time progresses.

You can stream the music, one song at a time, at this link for a taste.
https://www.psaudio.com/products/mini-brazilian-beasts/

Carmen Sandim.

I have this one and posted it too but it hasn't really connected with me. I'll revisit it soon.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21986 - 08/13/22 at 14:28:50

The world would be a boring place if we were all the same, Lon.

That Carmen Sandim album has more than a pinky nail toot of fusion thrown in, which I like at times. I also love most of the older jazz you post about half of the time.

I'm also a big fan of when Zappa (a musical mad scientist!) went all fusion jazz with his music, or some of the Twilight Zone outs that Al Di Meola does. John McLaughlin has always grabbed my attention. Late model Santana.
So many more!

We all like more than one thing, but If I had to guess, many people would have to be in a certain mood for much of the fusion rock jazz music to really set in well.
My wife hates it all. She says, "How can you listen to that? They're not even playing the same song!"
We differ.
Grin
Right now, I'm going with one of the more mellow, early Al Di Meola efforts.

Al_Di_Meola_Elegant_Gypsy.jpg

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21987 - 08/13/22 at 15:09:28

https://youtu.be/D0Ww9GgFxq4 Lo-Fi 480p
The Tubes - Remote Control

Remote Control was their first to be produced by Todd Rundgren (the other being 1985's Love Bomb). It is a concept album about a television-addicted idiot savant.

Producer Todd Rundgren suggested that the next work be a concept album. Lead singer Fee Waybill sketched out a storyline based on his favorite book, Being There by Jerzy Kosinski. "It wasn't an original concept," he admits, but "I tried to make it more contemporary." Rundgren encouraged the musical adaptation, and thrust himself into the project, as was his style: "Every song has so much of him," marveled Prairie Prince.

Fee Waybill - vocals
Bill Spooner - guitar, vocals
Michael Cotten - synthesizer
Mingo Lewis - percussion
Prairie Prince - drums
Roger Steen - guitar, vocals
Re Styles - vocals
Vince Welnick - keyboards
Rick Anderson - bass
Additional personnel:

Todd Rundgren - producer, guitar, keyboards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21988 - 08/13/22 at 15:25:54

Yes, we're all different. I really burned out on Zappa in the 'eighties and don't listen to him any more. I never liked stuff like The Tubes, just don't listen much at all to rock any longer.  I'm deep into jazz . . . from the Original Dixieland Jazz Band all the way up to Shabaka and the Elders, from Bessie Smith to Cassandra Wilson. That's pretty much all I crave any longer, outside of some Brazilian music and some classical, and as I have tens of thousands of discs to listen to, what I listen to.

We're all different and that's the key to the world we have.

I'll check the Carmen out again soon. It just seemed a bit too slick for me, part production, part the fully composed aspect I think. It was good, just didn't grab me first time through.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21989 - 08/13/22 at 15:36:12

Yep.
I get how slickness of modern jazz puts off the purist. I have some of that same purist in me, but that's not my only pursuit.

That purist vein in me is why I don't buy much modern jazz. I hear stuff all the time on AAJ and after a few listens, I'm done.

But I like Zappa.
In fact, my inclusion of Zappa in my last comment has made me think to pull out my,  "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore"  collection. Mad scientist at work.
Lots of great fusion ideas there.
Also notable, these are some of the best sounding live stage recordings made from that era and all done from the back of his recording truck, via long cable snakes, competent crew, lots of walkie talkies and some clever mix down prowess.

Small sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqp71DOJ3aY

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21990 - 08/13/22 at 15:57:13

I've owned those recordings. They just don't do that much to me, and the "ideas" I seem to have encountered previously in other fusion efforts. And my interest in fusion has waned, and been limited to early strong efforts from my first exploration such as the work of Davis, Corea, Zawinul, Shorter, McGlauglin. . . .

I have a friend who is/was much more into Zappa than I and I gave him my Zappa holdings about ten years ago.

I was also a bit bored with a lot of contemporary jazz I've heard but in this decade I've explored it a bit more and found some really interesting work. I wouldn't really say I'm a purist, but I like my jazz to have some strong improvisational elements and be somewhat centered in the tradition. And jazz is my main musical dieet.

We're all different. I guess we don't need to keep pointing it out. I shouldn't have mentioned that Octave recording that led to this. . . I hadn't yet given it a fair shot, but it didn't grab me in a way that most things I end up really liking do from the start.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21991 - 08/13/22 at 16:18:38

Yes I posted the "Tubes" as a joke because of our conversation, I worked with them when they first came out. Al Kooper of Bob Dylan, Blood Sweet and Tears and Butterfield Blues Band with Mike Bloomfield, Lynyrd Skynard fame managed and produced their first few records. They were more a combination of Rock and Roll and Gorilla Theatre, they had a few tricks up their sleeve but it wore thin very quickly. The 70's what else can I say, have you read "Being There"?

My tastes are eclectic, I started working in a record store when I was 11 years old. Most Zappa turns me off but Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo and Wake Jawaka are all time favorites of mine that I can't listen too anymore as I too am burnt out on them and there is so much music with so Little Time.

https://youtu.be/s4QMU8CVlpM HD 1080p

Miles Davis / Nefertiti
Miles Davis (tp)
Wayne Shorter (ts)
Herbie Hancock (p)
Ron Carter (b)
Tony Williams (ds)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21992 - 08/13/22 at 17:03:29

"So much music with so little time." Yes, that's it in my case.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21993 - 08/13/22 at 17:21:42

https://youtu.be/wZf34B8SImo Mid Fi 720p
Philip Glass - Einstein On The Beach - 1976. Full Opera & Video 3 Year Time Lapse
Timelapse - Czech, Bouda na Mulde, 2011-2014

0:00 - Knee Play 1
3:52 - Train
21:12  - Trial
44:32 - Knee Play 2
51:21 - Dance 1
1:05:03 - Night Train
1:18:54 - Knee Play 3
1:24:33 - Trial-Prison
1:42:49 - Dance 2
2:00:00 - Knee Play 4
2:06:45 - Building
2:14:16 - Bed
2:26:04 - Spaceship
2:39:28 - Knee Play 5

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21994 - 08/13/22 at 17:30:55

Lon, no one began anything but a conversation to exchange ideas.
You happen to be the "oldest"  (longest existing) one with which I can identify on some planes here and if I can't talk to you about where we are and where we are headed, I'm not sure there is any further point in any of it.

Music is my favorite subject these days, in general.

I'm not sure where else I can find engaging conversation about the  "this and that"  of a variety of music styles, except here or maybe Hoffmann's site, but my level of interest for that place has diminished lately.
Not sure what changed over there. I'm sure I have.

BTW, I have given large stacks of music away to friends as well. Sometimes I've just heard it enough, I feel. Give it to someone who will have fun with it all.

In my mind the improvisational elements in jazz have to be strong to grab me right away and your description of your tastes partially defined what I think of as the "purist,"  some of which flows through me as well.

Enjoy your day.
I'm doing chores for some of the day, next.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21995 - 08/13/22 at 18:00:41

Well I know that I'm a salty dog shaped by different experiences from many so nothing about me seems "purist" to me.

I enjoy the discussion as well, I just have experienced so much argumentation on the web and increasingly so in the last ten years or so, and plenty on the Hoffman forums, that I am so reticent and wary of a lot of exchanges. I know I really don't need to be with you, and was just unsure of how much we can and should. I really have not felt completely myself the last year or so and it  influences both my posting and my desire to post. My Dad's decline and losing him has had an effect on me. This week I'm despondent that I haven't been able to talk to him about current affairs, something that was a daily habit for years. So emotionally I'm a little prickly. Sorry about that.

Also, I haven't quite figured out why, but I just never warmed to youtube and watching all kinds of videos online, which seems to be increasingly a big thing in music and audio discussions. So I rarely include any links and rarely open them! Which does limit discussion.  But then I feel I discuss too much, simply because there are times when I have a wife sleeping next to me on one side, and my "she thinks she's my soulmate" dog sleeping on the other, as now, and there's not much else to be done! Wink

Enjoy your chores. Mine are coming up. I'm also waiting for the delivery of two Mullard/RTC 7308 tubes I ordered three weeks ago, finally out for delivery. I have high hopes for these as an audiobuddy talked them way up, let's see how they are. I may get a chance to listen later.

EDIT TO ADD: 7308s arrived. I had the system warmed up and listened a few minutes. Quite impressive. I'm going to keep a Tania Maria disc spinning and listen later if I can.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21996 - 08/13/22 at 20:43:56

Okay, the Mullard 7308 are in place and sounding very good. I was listening to this one with the Amperex 7308 in place previously and now I'm spinning it again.

Tania Maria "Tempo" cd

This is one of my favorite Tania Maria discs. It's just Tania and Eddie Gomez. These are both masters of their instruments and also very confident performers, willing to plunge deep into a tune and performance and reap rewards. And it's an interesting recording, putting you right in front of the musicians in a realistic and "alive way."

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21997 - 08/13/22 at 21:05:45

Enjoy the Mullard's those gold pin tubes are state of the art. The ones from Holland rival them. I have seen them range from $125 to $250 dollars. The ones manufactured in Holland rival them, they could be Phillips or Mullard or even other brands. Very high premium for the best.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21998 - 08/13/22 at 21:09:45

https://youtu.be/Hq-6zJ_-_Zg
Listening now to Tia Maria a minute in I'm hearing Stuff with a growl instead of Ashford and Simpson.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21999 - 08/13/22 at 21:10:10

I know, I've been using Holland 7308 either labeled Amperex or RCA for a decade or so on and off, have four pair. And I really like them, just took a pair out to put these Mullards in actually. I'm not generally a Mullard sound fan, but this pair is really sounding nice right off the bat.

Right now
Mario Adnet "More Jobim Jazz"

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 440 441 442 ... 501
Send Topic Print