Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:29:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I just ordered HDT's and SE34I.2 (Read 14174 times)
DAS
Ex Member

I just ordered HDT's and SE34I.2
04/25/07 at 03:08:42

I've been wanting to hear SET on high efficency speakers for about 7-8 yrs. I already had a very good system, Legacy Focus speakers , Krell amplification , Audible Illusion M3 pre , VPI  SSMaster table. I just wasn't sure it was for me because it might sound thin and bass shy.
About a month ago I bought DM944's for a second system and was very impressed. To make a long story short I sold my Focus speakers and I'm jumping in with both feet!
In 6-8weeks I should have them. If anyone has advice or experence with either of these peices , or tubes to try, please let me know.
Thank you!
Doug

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Re: I just ordered HDT's and SE34I.2
Reply #1 - 04/25/07 at 19:23:51

can i have your preamp

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/07 at 20:47:34

NO!
I am going to use it in front of the SE34I.2, besides it's my only source of a phono stage.
Nice try, Mike
Doug

IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/28/07 at 22:36:54

Hi DAS,
             I’ve had my HDT’s about a month now and my SE34I.2 came on Monday. The amp is replacing an Almarro tube amp that I had fallen in love with. The Almarro only showed itself after some NOS tubes, and they made it come alive. The SE34 has new tubes and how unfair. At first I cringed, and had I made a mistake? All the detail, but less musical, and a bit grainy? It lasted about an hour and it settled down and I don’t know what didn’t like being woke up, but I will guess it was the tubes. The first thing I noticed, was that there was more air around  everything, and I listened for familiar references, and they were there in spades but not as satisfying? It was actually beating the Almarro but with a less satisfying signature. I then remembered the Almarro with its stock tubes, and the difference that good tubes make. With stock tubes the 34 was beating in some very important areas, yet was somehow less satisfying? More balls, more air, and a better experience in every area but one, and I’m sure they’re called tubes. With stock tubes, in both, the Decware would kill the Almarro, and with NOS tubes in just the Almarro, it would take the cake. If this is all true, then a good tube compliment should send the Almarro packing, and I can’t wait. The rectifiers will be the first to go.

The HDT’s are a no brainer, and you will be hearing things that you never knew were there. Thin and bass shy come with the territory, but on this field you have chosen well, and trading boom boom for knowing what the singer had for lunch will more than pay for itself, and I find the bass, with this combo, satisfying.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing of your tube rolling experiences. I will share mine with you.

Peace, Craig    

PS: I am using a tube pre-amp and like it better this way.

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/29/07 at 02:58:01

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/29/07 at 03:09:42

Craig thanks for the info.
Please keep me informed of your experences with the amp and speakers.
I'm missing my focus speakers already!
I hope I'm not making a mistake!
Doug

PS:  The above post was a failed attempt to post a picture. Some day I'll figure it out

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 04/29/07 at 13:50:22

Craig,

One week, not even enough time to break in the Integrated, not even close. I'd be willing to bet, at the end of a month or more of break in, the Integrated, with stock tubes, VS the  Almarro with the NOS tubes would be beat by the SE34I.2  Just listen to the Integrated, then give it a go.

Doug,

I don't think you have anything to worry about, I've finally had the chance to listen to the SE34I.2 with a brand new pair of HDT's and it was exactly how Steve described, synergistic as all get out.  I've been listening to the HDT's with the Torii-II or Taboo, I thought that was pretty awesome, the Integrated bested that combination IMHO!

If I had a choice, I'd much prefer to receive my amp first and speakers second, the amps take a roller coaster ride that leaves you thinking, What have I done? The speakers do have a break in period especially ours with a tweeter, as it seems the tweeter takes the longest to break in, but its not the roller coaster ride the amps go through!

Steve isn't a guy that ever toots his own horn, trust me, sometimes trying to get any info from him is like trying to trim my cats claws, ask Devon, she'll tell you, what I can't believe is how many high end dealers there are that "Secretly listen to Decware gear in there homes". Lips Sealed  The HDT's and SE34I.2 are on that list!!!

Bob, not afraid to toot the Decware horn,
BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Tish
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/29/07 at 18:25:04

Hi Guys,   I have a SE34I.2 that run with mullard gz32 rectifier's and 6n2p input tube's. I have tried different output tubes such as EI(yugoslavia), mullard NOS XF2's,Sylvania fat bottles and the winged C's by svetlana. I left the mullard NOS in but the other ones were not bad at all!! The tube's that made the biggest difference were the 6n2p input tubes, they take the 34SEI.2 to another level in my system! In the coming weeks I will try different rectifiers such as sylvania NOS 274b's,5as4's,5r4's and NOS 5u4's. I will post my obsevations on these tubes at a later date.   Thanks, Tish

IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/04/07 at 09:57:18

Just an update. The SE34I.2 is now sounding like a different amp, and with stock tubes, is now beating the Almarro in every way.  :)

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/05/07 at 23:14:43

Craig,
Glad to hear your amp is settling in, I will have to give my SE34I.2 time to break in also.
Monday will be 2 weeks since I ordered, I can't wait!
Keep us posted on your experences.
Thanks
Doug

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/21/07 at 00:50:13

Hey guys. My SE34I.2 arrived about 12 days ago, I have 74 hours on it now. I am very happy wiyh it driving my DM944's. I haven't noticed a wild change in the sound. It sounded pretty good out of the box, but it has gotten better. I notice a sense of a real person or instrument there in the soundstage. It beats any amp I've ever heard in that regard. I hope there is better things and discoveries to come!
My HDT's will be shipping by the end of the week, according to DeVon.
I can't wait.
Hey ZIGI please put some of that Zen magic in my HDT's , I'll wait as long as it takes!
Doug

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #11 - 06/21/07 at 03:34:25

Doug,

You bet I will, Steve sends me a supply of Zen dust every month, I use it liberally!!!!

BobZ Wink

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
msa
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/22/07 at 21:22:55

craig wrote on 05/04/07 at 09:57:18:
Just an update. The SE34I.2 is now sounding like a different amp, and with stock tubes, is now beating the Almarro in every way.  :)

What Almarro did you use; the little one or big one? I've used the 205A and the Taboo with the latter winning. The 3 watt ASL Tulip also sounds very good, but none of them compares to the 18 watt Almarro 318B. I think that the extra watts matter no matter how sensitive the HDT's are. I use my HDT's with Visaton supertweeters and a Rel sub form 65hz down. Haven't heard anything better in my house yet.

IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/22/07 at 21:49:29

MSA, I had the little Almarro with cap and volume pot upgrades.

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/30/07 at 02:39:21

Hi everyone!
I just took dilivery of a beautiful pair of HDT's! Right out of the box these speakers blow me away! I am using AI mod3 pre, SE34I.2 3weeks old, HDT's.
Already I'm hearing deeper into the soundstage, more detail, wider,blacker background.
One example is a song on Chesky Records Ultimate Demonstration Disc. The are two drummers , witch I could hear before, now I can clearly hear the ride cymbals on each set while both were playing! I am hearing way more detail and the speakers are dissapearing! In case you can't tell , I am very excitied!
Got to go , so much more to discover!
Doug

IP Logged
mgd48
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/17/07 at 15:40:04

DAS,
Seeing you've had Steve's recommended HDT and SE34I.2 combo for a couple mos, I'd like to know if you are still enjoying the system? Thanks. Michael

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/14/07 at 00:29:45

mgd48
Yes I am still enjoying the HDT and SE34I.2 very much! I am so content with this combo that I don't check into the forum much anymore.
I am trying different tubes now to get a feel of any difference it makes. I am looking for a good pair of el-34 tubes to try next. I changed the stock rectifiers to CBS 5u4's, but didn't notice much of a change. I'll try the el34's next.
Decware gear is as good as any high-end gear only less expencive, and Steve is a straight shooter when it comes to advice and service.
In my opinion you can't go wrong with decware.
Doug

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print