Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 05:34:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hum in a home built ZSP1 (Read 14756 times)
tube_confused
Ex Member

Hum in a home built ZSP1
03/24/07 at 01:57:49

I have a ZSP 1 that I completed and tested last night and it worked great! Today when I got off work, I hooked it up again and I am getting a HUM through both channels. I have pulled the tubes from each channel and shorted the input but the hum is still there. I have also visually inspected all the solder joints and can not find any loose connection.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what to look for next?

Thanks

Robert

IP Logged
tube_confused
Ex Member

Re: Hum in a home built ZSP1
Reply #1 - 03/25/07 at 13:09:05

Well I should read all of the PDF file, where there is an alternate schematic for noisy tubes...

What a Maroon, I am!

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/07 at 23:57:23

Glad you could help.  [smiley=laugh.gif] Cheesy

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/07 at 01:34:52

Quote:
I have pulled the tubes from each channel and shorted the input but the hum is still there. I have also visually inspected all the solder joints and can not find any loose connection.  

From first post

Quote:
Well I should read all of the PDF file, where there is an alternate schematic for noisy tubes...

From the second post...

Forgive me for being a moron too but the 2 post sorta kinda (at least to me...I being an electrical imbasil) contradict each other

Oh and welcome to the forum and Rap....it is good to see you here as well.

IP Logged
tube_confused
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/04/07 at 04:07:38

Rap wrote on 03/26/07 at 23:57:23:
Glad you could help.  [smiley=laugh.gif] Cheesy

Well after using the alternate wiring schematic for "noisy" tubes, I still have too much hum for my tastes. Would it help to put a diode in each leg of the filament winding? What value capacitor would be needed to smooth out the ripple? Or is this all totally off base?

Thanks

Robert

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/07 at 12:07:38

You could also try a choke instead of the resistor in the powersupply filter  :-/ is the resistor a 1k 50w Dale like used in the Select? Here is a stupid question : have you checked if you have any caps the wrong way round?

IP Logged
tube_confused
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/07 at 04:49:16

Rap wrote on 04/18/07 at 12:07:38:
You could also try a choke instead of the resistor in the powersupply filter  :-/ is the resistor a 1k 50w Dale like used in the Select? Here is a stupid question : have you checked if you have any caps the wrong way round?

The cause was much simplerthan that. In my haste to gear the preamp in operation, I used a three prong power cord but, had to put a two prong adapter on it as the outlet in the house was not three prong. I kept plugging it in the same way each time and getting hum.  ::) I thought I had a ground loop and I flipped the plug on the amplifier and I still had hum. It took a few days to try that with the preamp plug. Once I did that the hum went away.

Now I have to get under the house and run a ground wire for that outlet.  >:(

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/22/07 at 23:41:26

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Blotch
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/15/07 at 05:15:12

I know this is a little unorthodox but, take the two prong outlet out of the wall, get a 3 prong outlet, jump a lead from the neutral (white) to the ground terminal and hook the hot(black) as normal. This will get ya going until you can install the correct wiring. Remember the white (neutral)wire goes on the silver screw and the black (hot) wire goes to the copper screw and ground is the green screw (but you already knew that - right? Smiley  ). I've had to do this in the last 3 places i've rented here in wichita. ALOT of the houses and duplexes out here still have 2 wire house wiring. Also, get one of those outlet checkers from lowes or home depot or similar store. always best to make sure ^^

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print