03/28/24 at 10:54:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1.5 vs. 3.0 (Read 22254 times)
jtycho
Ex Member

1.5 vs. 3.0
03/06/05 at 23:48:16

so do you think the 3.0 is worth the extra $700?  is it worth that extra 50%? is one more ideally suited for a small room?  (my listening room is about 13 x 12).  any direct comparisons between the two are highly appreciated.  im pretty sure im gonna end up with one of them.  thanks!

IP Logged
infinity
Ex Member

Re: 1.5 vs. 3.0
Reply #1 - 03/13/05 at 00:03:28

jtycho, I own a pair of 1.5s that I bought last Dec. '04. I've also had a pair of 3.0s that a friend(in Mesa Az. I live in Tucson,Az.) let me use for almost a week .It was worth the 264 mile round trip to compare the two . To say which one is better is really about personal taste. I prefer  presentation of the 1.5s in my 10'x11' room as far as putting more distance between me and the sound stage. Example: a female voice with the 3.0s seems much closer(4-6 feet away) while the 1.5s she sounds farther back 8-12 feet away if that makes any sense! Both create a huge 3D sound stage that obliterate rear and side walls if the recording calls for it.Both have a similar sonic signature in that they remind me of the speed of panel speakers and stats.My main system has the four tower Infinity RS 1bs and my son in law owns some new Martin Logan Ascents.For $700.oo more theThe  RL 3s are bigger,more  materials,more complicated to build, more drivers.etc. Both have a unique and attractive design that look far better in your room than photos convey. Both are a steal designed and built in the USA! By the way, I sometimes set up the 1.5s in my 18' x 26' living room with 12' vaulted ceilings and as my son in law put it,"It sounds as if we're in a 3,000 seat Auditorium" and that's with some 8 watt 300b monoblocks!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/05 at 00:43:22

Infinity, thanks so much for adding those impressions.

It makes me think I would prefer my 2s or the 1.5s to the 3s in my room which is about the same sizae as yours.  I love the depth, the less forward sound of my 2s.  

Radials are just amazing speakers!

IP Logged
infinity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/05 at 01:32:37

Lon, You said it!!! One thing I really like about the radials is that when friends of mine snicker at the size,weight and footprint of the 1.5s and then listen to the panoramic stage with more depth than anything I've ever heard...they're just simply amazed. Two  things I neglected to mention are that they pull off THE BEST disappearing act and have one of the widest 'sweet spots' of ANY SPEAKER I've ever heard. I've listened to these with a number of Amps and front ends in four different rooms...my 14'x18' main sound room,18'x26' living room and my friend's large L shaped living room. None of the rooms needed treatment for the RL 1.5s to do their thing.Amps were anything from  some inexpensive ASL wave  8 monos, to  300b monos. to Manley 100 watt monos to some  late model high dollar VTL 250 watt  monoblocks  ( and even a vintage Haffler 220 ss amp). But the fact that one could drive these with affordable low power set or pushpull amps that get closer to that magic "first watt" is a huge plus

IP Logged
jtycho
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/05 at 21:35:37

thanks for the reply guys.  out of curiosity, primarily what kinds of music do you listen to?  i listen to probably 90% classical.  i've narrowed my speaker hunt to the radials and JM-Reynaud Trente's.  the general conensus on the trente's is that they are incredibly musical, that although they are not the most accurate speakers, they allow you to FEEL the music, as if is living and breathing, as a live performance would be.  and, they are well suited to classical (especially strings and piano).  although i would love to gain the huge soundstage of the radials i don't want to lose the musicallity of trente's.  do you believe the radials possess this musical quality?      

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/05 at 22:56:50

Personally I believe the Radials are VERY MUSICAL speakers.  They don't sound "ultra real"--they sound like music.

I listen to over 90% African-American styled music, and 10% classical and other styles.

IP Logged
forsythej
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/16/05 at 03:27:15

hi!  I live in Minneapolis and I'm wondering if anybody is near me that has one of the radial speakers to hear them.  I could treat for dinner/drinks.  I have read great things about them but I would like to personally hear their sound.  I know they have a trial period but I do not want to waste Decware's time if they are not for me.

So, anybody near Minneapolis that has these?

Thanks,
James

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/16/05 at 10:58:26

[quote author=forsythej  link=1110156496&amp/0#6 date=1110943635]
I know they have a trial period but I do not want to waste Decware's time if they are not for me.

So, anybody near Minneapolis that has these?

Thanks,
James
[/quote]

Trust me James you wont be wasting Decware's time. If you can see yourself "able" to swing the full amount for purchase (be honest) then you owe it to yourself to "risk" the re-stocking fee. Decware has a re-stock fee for just that reason. The RL-3s are particularly my favorite. I will own a pair someday for certain. They will image in a Walmart restroom, so in your livingroom they will be all the more impressive. Try them you'll like them....A LOT!

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/17/05 at 17:19:19

This raises an interesting question.  4 of my college friends who live in a suite have their bathroom wired for sound.  Two Polk speakers are bolted to the wall across from the toliet.  They really don't image; but a pair of RL3.0s...now there's an idea.  I think I would do this if I was flithy rich.  Would anyone else?  -Matt

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/17/05 at 22:02:57

Well Matthew,
If I was filthy rich there are a lot of things I would do. If I get there (filthy rich) I may even have a retractable toilet come out of the floor in the listening room! Whatcha think? Good Idea? It could be done if one was "FILTHY" rich. Grin

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/18/05 at 01:51:02

What should one do first become filthy or become rich?

Quote:
If I get there (filthy rich) I may even have a retractable toilet come out of the floor in the listening room! Whatcha think?

If one were filthy rich I would think he/she would just pee in the floor.

IP Logged
infinity
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/10/05 at 02:05:38

Just don't pee too close to the amps,etc...your urine will conduct the  full out of a zen amp quite well and you'll be screaming a 130dB ! Just a thought...

IP Logged
forsythej
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/29/05 at 17:06:04

Ok, so I ordered and received the 1.5s and it is still early but I really like them!  They sound excellent and are a bargain.  I'm pretty amazed these are only $1300. They are very involving, that is, your toes automatically start tapping to the music which I think is the ultimate compliment.  We are using the #3 resistors.  I am in a pretty large open space with wood floors and almost nothing on the walls (a new condo).   They are about 3 feet from the rear and side walls.  

My wife wasn't sure about the need for new speakers, but she really likes them.  She likes the sound, and she really likes the look.  She thinks they look cool.  She actually said these get an A on the WAF!  I wasn't sure what her reaction would be when i took off the grills but she really likes them that way too.  She said they look like very elegant trash receptacles.  She means this in a good way!    :)

I'm listening to Sinead O'connor right now and her voice sounds awesome.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/29/05 at 17:54:17

WONDERFUL!  CONGRATULATIONS!

Makes me want to hear them!  :D

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/24/05 at 15:44:18

Forsythej, I live in Minneapolis and would like to know what you are using for amplification?  You can see my list below.  I am curious about the 1.5's.

Stone of Tone  :)
PS-I love my Zen Select (#76 purchased in May/2001)....could not part with it!

IP Logged
matchstikman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 08/24/05 at 16:03:11

Don't the radials have the effect of turning stereo into mono?

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/24/05 at 17:23:09

No, not at all.

IP Logged
Robert
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/30/07 at 19:42:33

I didn't get that impression either....just love the sound! Smiley