Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 12:48:46 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 31451 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #350 - 03/11/24 at 11:04:49

Ethan Philion "Meditations on Mingus"

I wanted to post this one here because it belongs here (there is so much classical music and approach here) and because it just kicks ass in significant ways. The Mingus material selected is STRONG. I mean Mingus strong, that's really something. This ensemble inhabits the music of Mingus in a unique, almost mysterious way. And this is truly one of those rare recordings where the engineer sees the arranger's vision, and the arranger senses the engineering possibilities, and beauty emerges--or at least that is how I hear it and feel it.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #351 - 03/11/24 at 15:24:08

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 03:04:49

...Ethan Philion "Meditations on Mingus"...

Interesting. I don't own that album (although I should) but I have heard it. It is awesome, but it would never occur to me to call it "classical." It just swings way too much. JMO/YMMV and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #352 - 03/11/24 at 15:38:29

I won't argue with you, no point in that but there are definitely classical elements on this recording, easily heard--and intentionally structured and composed by Mingus. It hardly is all a swinging album, and some pieces hardly swing or don't. I've nowhere near the interest in or experience with classical music as you and I can recognize them. Perhaps another listen on your end, or not, but I am confident they are there--Mingus often had a classical element to his work (I own every official release by Mingus as a leader, most as a sideman). And Philion's arrangements incorporate this.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #353 - 03/11/24 at 20:07:46

I'm going to get the album (regardless of what you call it, I like it a lot). By way of explanation, not argument, let me just say that IMO the difference between jazz and classical is much more about the performance practices than the notes themselves. There is a "jazz way" to play rhythm, articulate notes, ad lib, and sit on the beat that is different from the "classical" aka legit way.  In other words whether you're playing the I Got Rhythm changes or a Bach Choral is less important than how you play them. In a couple weeks I'm going camping with conservatory trained (retired) jazz musicians and perhaps classical vs. jazz will make for an interesting campfire discussion.

In the mean time I've been listening to Klaus Tennstedt's Mahler 5th

On CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #354 - 03/11/24 at 20:52:37

Well imo that doesn't hold true here. On most of these pieces there are sections that are written out as if they were classical themes and even movements and the structure and format is clearly classical. And the notes are not played with any swing rhythm or jazz feel in these sections--they are truly classical portions. That should be clearly heard when listening.

I knew a handful of classical musicians in Austin, some of whom were also jazz fans and know what many think about re: jazz and classical. And I think those would agree with me that portions of the music on this set would be considered classical music.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #355 - 03/18/24 at 04:41:20

Hi, CAJames - your post got me to listen to Mahler's 5th Symphony.  I really liked Mahler's symphonies a number of years ago, but have not revisited them in quite some time.  I am listening to Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philhamonic from 1963:

It is from the Sony box set of Mahler's complete symphonies:

Lots of drama!  I particularly enjoyed hearing some of the themes crossing over between different movements.  I also had a lot of "residual memory" of parts of the symphony, which helps.

The liner notes were interesting, talking about how important Bernstein was in getting this music heard again, after it had been "blacklisted" in Germany (and occupied Europe during World War II).

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #356 - 03/18/24 at 19:48:41

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:41:20

...your post got me to listen to Mahler's 5th Symphony...how important Bernstein was in getting this music heard again, after it had been "blacklisted" in Germany (and occupied Europe during World War II)...

I would say Beethoven and Mahler are my two favorite composers, and Mahler's 5th is one of my favorite of his symphonies. But Mahler didn't need Hitler to keep his music from being heard, there was just very little interest is his work outside of a very few conductors, most of whom worked with Mahler himself (who was much better know as the conductor of the Vienna Opera and later the New York Philharmonic than as a composer). Bruno Walter was Mahler's assistant in the years before his death, and he made a very famous recording of the 9th Symphony in Vienna in 1938, shortly before the Nazis took over the country.

On CD.

In spite of being very famous and historically important/interesting I don't like the recording very much.

I actually heard Lenny and Vienna Phil play Mahler's 5th in LA back in the 80s. One of the highlights of my concertgoing life for sure.

On CD.

There is nothing like hearing Mahler live, but either of Bernstein's recorded cycles is the next best thing. YMMV.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #357 - 03/20/24 at 15:24:54

The next Beethoven symphony. Number 5.

DSD rip from SACD

I've got nothing to say about perhaps the most famous music ever written beyond Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony (predictably) play it really well.

IP Logged
Estes
Verified Member

Reply #358 - 03/20/24 at 16:11:48

Mahler 's "Das Lied Von Derr Erde" moves me every time I listen.
Although I prefer Tenor and Mezzo, my favorite recording is Bernstein with James King and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. James King....true Heldentenor. Just glorious

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #359 - 03/20/24 at 20:30:54

Quote:
Posted by: Estes      Posted on: Today at 08:11:48
Mahler 's "Das Lied Von Derr Erde" moves me every time I listen.
Although I prefer Tenor and Mezzo, my favorite recording is Bernstein with James King and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau...

I'm a big fan of Mahler, Bernstein and King. DFD not so much though so this isn't a Das Leid I've heard in a while. The other Mahler song cycle I find deeply affecting is Kindertotenlieder.

DSD rip from Sony Japan SACD.

This isn't something I listen to often, but when I do I usually go with Bernstein and Janet Baker.

IP Logged
Estes
Verified Member

Reply #360 - 03/20/24 at 22:46:36

Agree on DFD. Never cared for his singing. He makes everything so "precious" that there was no dynamic. Nothing in the text was important as result where I just tune out...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #361 - 03/21/24 at 18:27:10

Bartok, like Prokofiev and Rachmaninov, was a virtuoso pianist as well as a composer. Unfortunately he wasn't as successful during his lifetime. He was also a conservatory professor and wrote a fair amount of piano music at least partly for pedagogical purposes. His Mikrokosmos are 150something short pieces, mostly less than a minute long that could in theory take a student from the first piano lesson to the concert hall.

On CD from the Kocsis Bartok Box.

IP Logged
Estes
Verified Member

Reply #362 - 03/21/24 at 22:05:39

Jon Vickers is my favorite tenor of all time. I was a professional opera singer for a few years, and I studied with a colleague of his for years.

Peter Grimes was always my dream role, and his interpretation, in my opinion, was the best.

Incidentally, I'm listening on a new Tube Cube 7. Bought this as something fun to play around with while I wait. I am near the very end of the build list so I have some time Smiley

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #363 - 03/21/24 at 22:10:15

First listening session after soldering up my big Miflex capacitors to the Err’s.  Previously …I had the wire leads clipped on, since I was evaluating them with the Miflex and Duelund bypass caps.  I’m please to say it’s  really good, so these will stay in for the long haul.

Currently streaming Handel in Roon and pulled from Qobuz.  The sampling rate is 96/24.  This album is great to sit back and listen to, it has nice flow and is soothing to the ears.  Tonight I’m going to stick with classical music so I can really listen.  My Tesla 6922’s have like 30 hours on them, and they are starting to open up in the Zen Mono’s.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #364 - 03/22/24 at 00:25:21

Listening to (and enjoying) Tchaikovsky's "The Tempest" (opus 18), performed by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Antoni Wit.  I have this on the Naxos "Tchaikovsky - The Complete Symphonies and Piano Concertos:"

The Tempest is neither a symphony nor a piano concerto - it is called in the liner notes a "fantasia for orchestra," which appears to have slipped into the box set to use the remaining space on the CD that also includes the third symphony.  I'm glad they included it, it seems relatively "compact" and direct in how it develops, and so relatively understandable to me.

IP Logged
Estes
Verified Member

Reply #365 - 03/22/24 at 02:03:39

@Dominick "Total Eclipse" was my main solo for oratorio auditions. Such powerful music

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #366 - 03/22/24 at 15:46:53

I've always been a fan of Handel's instrumental music but in the last few years I've been listening to more and more of his vocal music.

16/44 FLAC Download.

This is a relatively recent acquisition and is just glorious.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #367 - 03/23/24 at 15:56:14

Another 5th Symphony: Tchaikovsky's.

On CD.

Andre Previn's recording was a mild sensation back in the 80s, and it remains one of my favs.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #368 - 03/24/24 at 02:13:00

More Easter music.

On CD from the Klemperer Choral box.

Klemperer's take on the Matthew Passion is, in a word "intense." Searingly intense if you give me two.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #369 - 03/28/24 at 16:35:04

I logged a lot of highway miles in the last few days driving out to Death Valley for my semi-annual off road camping trip. And mostly I listened to Scott Ross playing the Scarlatti Keyboard Sonatas to pass the miles.

On CD.

Harpsichord isn't everyone's cupa, and I need to carefully dose my intake or it makes me a little crazy. But this is great music played very convincingly.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #370 - 03/28/24 at 17:17:51

My commute to camp is a short 30 miles. After logging close to 100,000 miles over the past 24 years camping, it is welcomed. We stayed at Furnace Creek in Death Valley. Cycling Death Valley is on my bucket list.

Well I broke a promise to myself! Ended up buying a tote full of albums this week while at camp. Out of a hundred 60 are playable which includes the 5 pictured below. Need to bring my portable player next trip to camp.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #371 - 03/28/24 at 20:50:14

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 09:17:51

...Cycling Death Valley is on my bucket list...

<off_topic>Not to hijack my own thread but when was the last time you were in Death Valley? With all the crazy drivers in oversized vehicles and roads with little to no shoulder (road) cycling DV is not on my list all. So either you are a lot braver than I am or riding off road, or both. We did see one guy, fully loaded for camping, grinding up the pass, inches from the passing cars and commented on how little that looked like a fun ride.</off_topic>

Re: your albums, I don't know the Haydn or Handel performances, but Richter playing Schubert and Walter conducting Mozart are both reference recordings, so you did very well for yourself in that regard. Interested in your thoughts if/when you give them a listen.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #372 - 03/30/24 at 17:04:54

Beethoven's Diabelli Variations have been called a lot of things, like "a microcosm of Beethoven's genius." I've been listening to them for years (decades really) and I still don't fully get it. But I keep listening.

16/44 FLAC download.

Andreas Staier's performance on a fortepiano is very interesting, and very different from e.g. Rudolf Serkin on a modern concert grand.

On CD.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #373 - 03/30/24 at 18:15:57

Quote:
Interested in your thoughts if/when you give them a listen.

Got those cleaned today and will give a listen soon.

Quote:
Not to hijack my own thread but when was the last time you were in Death Valley?

Check your PMs.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #374 - 03/31/24 at 04:27:51

Grechaninov's Passion Week, like Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil, was written in the early 20th century but as an homage to hundreds of years of Russian Orthodox church music. And like the All Night Vigil it is some of the most beautiful music ever written, either scared or profane.

DSD rip from SACD

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #375 - 03/31/24 at 10:09:14

Bruno Walter conducting Columbia Symphony Orchestra playing Mozart:The Last Six Symphonies. Listened to Jupiter. Delightful beginning. Love the bassoon. The final can gets slow and drab at times. Enjoyable. My copy is just OK with a bit more tracking noise then I prefer. Music sound from the recording is excellent.

Haydn was a bust. First skip after the horrendous tracking noises and off with it. I kind of figured it would end like this after cleaning but had to give it a try!

Schubert by Richter is a bit noisy too. Excellent recording. It is said that Schubert's composures makes a piano sing and Richter nails it. Will have to keep an eye out for a better copy of this one.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #376 - 03/31/24 at 19:44:29

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 02:09:14

Bruno Walter conducting ...  Jupiter. Delightful beginning. Love the bassoon. The final can gets slow and drab at times...

Walter can certainly be considered a little old fashioned these days, which translates to "slow." But for me he is one of my favorite conductors for Mozart, and Beethoven and Brahms. The Jupiter, esp. the finale, is one of the high water marks of the human imagination, YMMV, and I'll have more to say about it later. In the mean time I've been enjoying Walter/Columbia (which was the second desk players from the LA Philharmonic plus wringers from the Hollywood studio orchestras) playing shorter works.

DSD download from HDTT.

I haven't listened to this in a while and the sound was a little disappointing. But the performances were delightful. Esp. The Masonic Funeral Music.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #377 - 03/31/24 at 23:40:15

I'm on record saying Mozart's symphonies are not his best work, and stand by that. But 2 movements keep him in the conversation and those are the 1st movement of No. 40 aka. The Great G Minor and the last movement of No.41 aka Jupiter. And they are very good indeed. The Jupiter doesn't have a clarinet part so I haven't played it, but I did study it in a music theory class. My buddy Richard Atkinson does a great job of breaking it down on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxYykhQZbI&t

if you want a look behind the curtain.

If you'd rather just listen to it, and e.g. Bruno Walter is too old school for your taste, another of my favorite Mozart conductors is Charles Mackerras and his recording with the Prague Chamber Orchestra combines the best both "traditional" and "historically informed" performance practice. YMMV.

16/44 FLAC download.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #378 - 04/02/24 at 00:59:38

The Sibelius 4th is a dark and brooding even for Sibelius, who is know for being dark and brooding. But it is great for listening when the weather is bad, which it has been a lot lately.

16/44 FLAC download.

It is based on a dissonance: the tritone, aka "The Devils Interval" aka an augmented forth (or diminished fifth in an equal temperament scale). The tritone is the reason why, in Germany, B is the rest of the world's B-flat and B-natural is H. Good stuff.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #379 - 04/04/24 at 18:03:12

I've been doing some tube rolling the last couple of days and they system is sounding better than ever. I just can't seem to stop listening to chamber music.

14/44 FLAC download.

Faure's other-worldly, almost ambient, sound world just wraps me up like a blanket.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #380 - 04/05/24 at 02:50:42

Big music sounds really good too. And it doesn't get much bigger than Mahler's Third.

On CD, from the Mehta/LA Phil box.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #381 - 04/05/24 at 14:58:02

Frederick Delius is the only real competition to Richard Wagner for the most unpleasant person who is also a major composer. Delius's music however is lovely, very lyrical and in the tradition of British "nature painters" but uniquely his own. Thomas Beecham has pretty much owned the Delius Concession from the earliest days of recordings. And while contemporary conductors are doing more Delius these days in more modern sound, none of them do it better. YMMV.  

On CD

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #382 - 04/06/24 at 15:11:24

It's safe to say that in general I find (classical) music from a generation or two ago more interesting than what is being recorded currently. But there are always exceptions.

16/44 FLAC download.

Igor Levit's late Beethoven Sonatas are on my very short list for, not only the best late Beethoven Sonatas, but the best recordings of anything ever.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #383 - 04/06/24 at 18:57:47

Inspired by JB's recent album I came across this box of Richter plays Schubert (mostly) live and (mostly) from the former Soviet Union, recorded in the 50s and early 60s.

On CD.

The sound is OK, certainly a lot better than the scratchy old Melodiya LPs I used to own, and the playing is self-recommending if you care about Richter, Schubert or piano playing. Richter's Schubert has what I'll call a penumbra of the pathétique. An underlying melancholy that is very affecting, as well as very Russian.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #384 - 04/06/24 at 19:08:09

CA James said:

I'll call a penumbra of the pathétique

Easy for you to say. Smiley

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #385 - 04/07/24 at 17:21:04

^^^SAT test words

Moving on, I've had Richter playing Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy on LP for a very long time.

And it is a great performance. But his live Wanderer from the the CD set above is simply amazing. Jaw dropping. Just Wow.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #386 - 04/08/24 at 16:15:28

Solomon was a single name rock star (SNRS) long before e.g. Cher or Bono. He was an amazing pianist who suffered a series of strokes in the prime of his career, as he was recording the Beethoven Sonatas for EMI in the 50s. If there is any good news it is that the recordings he finished, including the 6 late sonatas, are really special.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #387 - 04/11/24 at 01:25:58

Oboe Quintets in general, and British Oboe Quintets specifically are a bit of a niche, but performances like these ought to be much better known.

16/44 FLAC Download.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #388 - 04/11/24 at 22:05:32

Tchaikovsky is know almost exclusively for his orchestral music. But he wrote a bunch of piano music that is highly listenable as well.

16/44 FLAC Download.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #389 - 04/13/24 at 05:22:53

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #390 - 04/13/24 at 16:25:49

I've been enjoying the Bach Partitas played (uniquely) by Maria Tipo.

On CD.

Tipo's Bach is pretty much over-the-top romantic, she makes it sound almost like Rachmaninov. It was recorded in the 80s (I think) but the style could be from a hundred years ago. Not Bach for everyday, but occasionally as a guilty pleasure.

FWIW this is a great collection of Bach, not only Tipo's keyboard but Janos Starker's Cello Suites from about a decade before his famous Mercury recordings and Johanna Martzy's Violin Sonatas & Partitas. Unfortunately a quick check indicates it is only available used at pretty ridiculous prices.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #391 - 04/14/24 at 22:08:42

Listening to a bunch of great Spanish music: Albeniz, Granados de Falla etc.

16/44 FLAC download.

A great compilation from Erato.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #392 - 04/15/24 at 15:57:55

I've been listening to this frequently lately as I've been trying new tube combinations:

16/44 FLAC Download.

Thanks Lon! Not only is it well worth listening to on its own terms, but Bach Cello Suites played on the double bass are a great way to assess bass performance.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #393 - 04/15/24 at 19:01:34

Glad you're digging that. I remember my Dad being really surprised at these suites on the contrabass violin.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #394 - 04/16/24 at 04:03:51

Disc 9 from the Ludwig Guttler Box is a great collection of baroque brass choir, mostly by unknown (at least to me) composers.

On CD

Heavy metal? You be the judge.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #395 - 04/16/24 at 16:22:47

A couple weeks ago we (briefly) discussed Jon Vickers. I know him best from Herbert von Karajan's Tristan und Isolde.

On CD.

Listening to Wagner is a pretty big commitment (for me at least) but the weather has been terrible (for the central coast of California) and I've been spending a lot of time with the stereo. People say Wagner wrote some of the most exciting minutes, and most boring hours, in all of music and they have a point...up to a point. But I've been sold on Tristan since the first time I heard it. HvK's Tristan isn't my favorite, but both the singers and orchestra are great and the interpretation is interesting.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #396 - 04/17/24 at 16:28:53

More baroque brass music.

On CD.

This is a great sounding early digital recording, but I have no idea what the availability is like these days.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #397 - 04/18/24 at 15:18:07

I love Mahler so much I have 8 (!?!?!) different complete cycles, plus many other discs of single symphonies. I was listening to Michael Gielen's version of the 7th, which is excellent. Like most of his work.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #398 - 04/18/24 at 21:28:09

Another ex-audiophile label that I suppose has moved into the ether. I have a bunch of Dorian CDs from back in the day and most of them (still) sound exceptional. Esp. the ones recorded in the Troy Savings Bank.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #399 - 04/19/24 at 01:34:30

Anne-Marie McDermott is amazing in her recording of Prokofiev's Piano Sonatas. She does not short change the dissonant and percussive aspects of the music, but plays everything with an almost "classical clarity" that allows you to hear and understand the method to Prokofiev's seeming madness. The state-of-the-art recording doesn't hurt either, esp. compared to most of e.g. Richter's pretty dingy recordings. I was enjoying the 7th sonata, but they all are supremely well done.

On CD.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print