Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 14:51:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Presonus Audiobox USB film cap mod (Read 438 times)
Matchpik
Verified Member

Presonus Audiobox USB film cap mod
06/20/23 at 19:35:54

Some time ago I acquired a Presonus Audiobox USB audio interface, which I use as a DAC on my PC.  This ended up being a superior sounding unit compared to the Schiit Modi 2 Uber I was using with my Magni 3.  I got the itch to see if anything in the Audiobox was upgradeable and found that Presonus is fond of using through-hole, radial electrolytics.  It just so happened that during this time I found that Digi-Key began carrying WIMA radial film capacitors for use in through-hole designs.  So I pulled the trigger on the 1.0uF variety and replaced four electrolytics--the two between the main DSP IC and the output OpAmp, and the two between the output OpAmp and the output jacks.

This made the Audiobox sound like an entirely different unit.  The difference is night and day.  Just like my past experiences with changing to film capacitors in other equipment I could now hear program material I didn't know existed in my music library.  In fact I had to listen to pretty much everything all over again, looking for audio that may have been previously veiled and to hear the amazing soundstage I was now experiencing.  The background was also very black/quiet.

I was always curious if replacing the electrolytics in the signal paths for the MIC/INST channels would improve microphone audio quality.  It seems like simple logic to assume it does, but not having tried it I am uncertain.  I am humoring this idea to improve my voice quality to others over Zoom for classes and such.  Although, I could also use suggestions for an analog microphone for use with my Audiobox.  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print