Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/10/24 at 19:09:54 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 48587 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #450 - 04/27/24 at 15:38:05

Hey Mark, I'll email you. I'm not sure what happened, I don't think the SDFB was at fault. The P15 seemed to be the culprit, and the amp's weak spot seems to be the rectifier--I've lost a few less expensive ones in the last nine months.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #451 - 04/27/24 at 15:41:29

I know you know this Lon - but Paulier was my partner at Genesis for almost 5 years

I stand at the ready to help you

Many thanks

Mark

I've got lots going on today - but if I miss a call... I will call back

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #452 - 04/27/24 at 16:30:31

Hi Will. Yes, glad to be back. Always enjoy your posts and I learn something every time.

I just spoke with Mark on the phone for a good 15 minutes. His relationship to Saul Marantz quite riveting and others too. I met Mark at the Audio Society of Minnesota with Peter Madnick. Very memorable. Owned the best of their Audio Alchemy too, I did.

I placed my order and should have SDFB, Piggy Tail & Sluggo's by Wed, Th or Friday!  

Purchased my first Audio Alchemy in 1995. Had more of for 20yrs..... ,

Met Steve D's genius by phone in May of 2001 at age 37 ....I'm 60 now (wow, cant believe I'm 60) .....purchased the Zen Select/the rest is history 7 Decware products later....not cliche'.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #453 - 04/27/24 at 18:49:24

Lon- Ugh, so sorry to hear about the Aqua—-you know how I feel about that rectifier so I share your pain!

S of T: I joined about 3 years ago.  While you had left by that time, I recall reading your posts in historical threads.  Glad to have you back. Yea, Mark’s deep rooted connections and history in the Hifi scene never ceases to amaze.  With every subsequent call, I discover some unique insight that completely floors me.  Trust me, you’ll be richly rewarded when you get your SDFB + Sluggo.  I have three now in my system within a span of 5 months.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #454 - 04/27/24 at 19:53:50

Thanks, Kamran.
I have been enjoying your journey & thoughts.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #455 - 04/27/24 at 21:16:18

Lon that sucks about the Aqua, I feel for you. I do NOT want to open a can of worms, but hasn't there been more than a few rectifiers arced in Sarahs?

I got my three sluggos a couple days ago. My outlet box is due today. SDFB should arrive Tuesday. Trying to temper my excitement! I vaguely recall someone had a way to season the sluggos before using them. Did I dream that or just not find it yet? Then again, maybe it's better to go through the burn in while listening.

I haven't spoken to Mark over the phone, but have emailed back and forth. He's been great. Learning he had associations with Saul Marantz, I'm tempted to cal and chew his ear about a Superscope receiver I have, but I don't want to take him away from his busy schedule.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #456 - 04/27/24 at 21:46:22

The only other rectifier that arced in MY SEWE300B was the original 274B Aqua on the very first turn on of the amp. The VERY FIRST. Blew the fuse too. I then tried other rectifiers and no issue. Days ater, after some study and feeling brave I re-inserted that same 274B Aqua after verifying it wasn't dead by using it in the Taboo Mk IV, and it played fine--I used it for weeks until I bought my first 274B Aqua II. I later bought two more Aqua II, one for my CSP3 and one for the SE84UFO clone, both components in my audio/visual system. Now I'm down one Aqua II. Will sell a few things and buy another. I LOVE those rectifiers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #457 - 04/29/24 at 17:37:40

Shipping today out of Denton, TX & Nevada, TX. I very well might have by Wednesday/Thursday...instead of Friday/Saturday. Arriving just south here in the beautiful Rio Grande Valley.

I completed reading the thread too. After X amount of hours changing the direction of the Sluggo/compare.
DEOx ing' too .....polishing
Interested in the graphene. Reading about that for 3 years in speaker cables.......... .
Lon, your hollow silver.......very interested.

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself.
Mark said he'll recognize my order and get the Sluggo's to work with ....sans graphene.

Read gladmo's review on the Audiogon Forum & the review posted in this thread too. All of your reviews here (collective) are what realy drive it home for me.

Where is Tom? (Palomino)

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #458 - 04/30/24 at 18:54:46

I like the test galdmo (AudioGon Forum review) ran to trip and not trip the SDFB. Well done.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #459 - 04/30/24 at 19:07:47

S of T: Could you post a link to that? I googled but I'm not finding it. Thanks!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #460 - 04/30/24 at 19:26:25

I will get that posted bloodlemons.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #461 - 04/30/24 at 19:28:52

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/swiss-digital-fuse-box-what-headroom-soun...
ds-like

Interesting.....I needed 12 posts to list a link....I get that. I was one short/to funny. However, I tried several 25 yr tricks for it not to drop off truncate the link to no avail.

Anyway, copy and paste to browser .....let me know if it works for you. Or, I will give you another path....pretty easy to find.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #462 - 04/30/24 at 19:54:14

It can't be coincidence; I'm thwarted. I don't believe in coincidences.

So, go to Audiogon Forums ......SEARCH with full words of SDFB.
Scroll down to Swiss Digital Fuse Box .....What headroom sounds like ....for the review.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #463 - 04/30/24 at 20:22:47

Try this, I think it works:

https://tinyurl.com/SDFB-link

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #464 - 04/30/24 at 20:26:21

Thanks Lon. I'm computer challenged today.  :o

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #465 - 05/01/24 at 01:12:16

Some cool impressions in that thread on audiogon.

I got my other two hollow silver slugs in from Ali Baba yesterday and said “I love the sound right now, I’m not going to mess with any changes.”

Of course today is a different day, and I installed one of them in the DSD DAC Mk II in place of a High Purity Copper Sluggo–so it’s a sliver in the P15 and the DAC, and a High Purity Copper in the SEWE300B.

It is really a PIA to get to the fuse on the DAC and I had to disassemble half a shelf and put it all back together again, and of course I find when digital is unplugged it’s a good twelve hours or so before it is all that it can be again . . . so tomorrow will really tell me if I got it the right direction (seems so right now) etc. . . . But. . . .

Sound is really good. . . there’s a gentleness to another hollow silver piece that is endearing, a bit less push. . . and a dash of warm seasoning.

Man. . .with this system there are so many choices, no wonder I can’t stop futzing. I could have a different system so to speak every day with fuse, tube, gain and regenerator settings alone.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #466 - 05/01/24 at 02:57:45

Yes, I like the impressions I'm reading there. As I read here too, the cleaning and polishing. Gladmo, mentioned he got the idea from another Forum. Dare I say here, I bet. GS. Plus, GS started this thread in March 23....then gladmo Agon....May 23.

I have my peroxide, surgical gloves polishing cloth ready. In addition, I have a sealed packet of XLO's cleaning & enhancer I will use/not the peroxide. I have Deoxit too...but the XLO stuff is impressive. No oily fingers on my Sluggo's!

Okay, a little overzealous on my ship out. Mark said I'd have in 2-3 days with my south Texas location. However, I realize he meant after programing, testing and burn in (I read in the Agon thread). I noticed your first shipped 6 days after ordering Lon (2/29 -3/6) ...and that was right after the review too. Hoping my orders go out by Friday, 3rd.

Lon, what is the Link at Ali baba? The hollow silver slugs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #467 - 05/01/24 at 03:24:23

AliExpress, I'm sorry, not Ali Baba

Here: https://tinyurl.com/Silver-Slug

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #468 - 05/01/24 at 03:29:09

I read Gladmo’s thread multiple times last year and just assumed everyone else came across it as well.  While that was a great post, I feel the SDFB (eventually) got a better reception here.  In fact, I’d go so far as to say that this thread is the go to thread on the entire net for one to learn/read reviews on the SDFB.  GS deserves a lot of credit here.

I was intrigued about polishing the sluggoes as well but they already looked polished enough to me, so apart from using gloves and a microfiber cloth for a last second attempt at cleaning prior to inserting in to the fuse drawer, I didn’t do anything extra.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #469 - 05/01/24 at 03:41:48

I could not agree more Kamran. AGon threads tend to get petty and unprofessional.....nough said.
GS.....full credit.

Yeah, I figure I'll go all out since I have the XLO packet....now I have to find it. I will...I'm putting up my corner tunes acoustic triangles ....I think it's in that Tote.  :)

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #470 - 05/01/24 at 03:43:52

Thanks Lon.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #471 - 05/01/24 at 03:49:46

Mine took two weeks from order to arrival, today. I believe there is a small queue and mine had to come to PA. They forgot to include the piggy, but shipped one out. No biggie, I got behind things fixing the tractor again so hoping to get something set up tomorrow.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #472 - 05/01/24 at 04:01:06

Thanks Sean for the heads up.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #473 - 05/02/24 at 11:20:46

The second silver is further seasoned, it has lost any sense of "edginess."

I am so tempted to put the third hollow silver slug in the SEWE300B in place of the seasoned High Purity Copper Sluggo. . . but I think that copper there is an important part of the magic.

I'm trying to convince myself that a fork should be stuck in and it all pronounced "Done." I sure am really enjoying the sound!

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #474 - 05/02/24 at 14:00:54

Cool Lon. I'm excited to receive my first for my ZMA. The fork, funny!

I have an estimated delivery date for one portion on Saturday. The balance, not yet. Hopefully, I get that word by end of business today.

However, the queue exists for programming & testing as Sean witnessed. Probably next week then.

Sean.....Look forward to your impressions.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #475 - 05/02/24 at 16:29:05

My impression is that I'm impressed. Never ceases to amaze me that no matter how good I think things sound that there is still positive gains to be had.

While I wait for my piggy to arrive I decided to set up the SDFB on just the UFO. I have no other quality power cords on hand to use the SDFB on all three components yet. I removed the SR Purple fuse from the UFO and put in the copper sluggo. Powered things up and planned to just let it warm up for an hour or so. I made it 30 minutes. Right off the bat with limited burn in the sound was substantially improved. I'd say instrument/voice separation was the biggest positive. The classic hearing things that weren't there before. Background vocals became spooky clear and distinct. A close second to that was my front wall disappeared, depth became better up close and far away. Music seems to flow even more effortlessly now.

After a couple sides I put the SR purple in the CSP2+ replacing a SR Orange. Still running a SR Orange in the ZP3. Things got better still. Until my piggy arrives I'll likely run this setup as is though I am very excited to hear all three components running sluggos.

In a nutshell, it's awesome and I can't wait to power it up and listen more. I believe Lon compared it to getting a new component and I'd agree 100% even after one night of listening.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #476 - 05/02/24 at 16:38:34

I knew you'd be impressed!

It gets better with more current and time. So prop up your jaw. Wink

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #477 - 05/02/24 at 17:59:55

Hey Sean... sounds transformative! Cool.

Did you put your distribution box in there, or are you running straight in and out of the SDFB?

If inclined, aside from the pain and benefit of burning in more stuff at once as you wait for a piggy, even using less optimal stock cables you will likely hear the additional sluggos pretty well. And stock cables usually being lighter gauge than many "audiophile" cables, this too could be good to learn about... how does it sound with lower gauge cables giving a frame of reference for fine tuning as you learn and optimize your new sound.

If like me, smaller gauge cables reducing the added push of the sluggos a little could be your friend (or a mix, or not using smaller cables at all depending on all else). Same with the smallish stock wires in your distribution box... getting to know the SDFB/sluggo sound with less push would give you a basis for hearing the differences with bigger cables or wires and refining as you go. Not an ideal comparison, as more audiophile cables would likely sound more resolving and/or faster on their own, but I think you will hear the differences in density, fullness, bass clarity (or thickness), etc, and that could be useful for finally optimizing the SDFB with the best cables to support them in your system... .

This is part of why,  on the other thread, I thought it could be good to try the distribution box with the smallish stock wires... as making those higher gauge of the same quality wire would likely increase the intensity of the Sluggos in how they affect your power supplies and tube power. Not that this will be the case with you necessarily, but in my case, toning several cables down some, and clarifying them was definitely a good thing... very good sounding bigger gauge cables that were good before sluggos, with the sluggos, too much of a good thing here. Why I am excited to try the hollow slugs too, likely similar positive effects in smoothness and clarity with less density and push, potentially good for fine tuning density, weight and thickness (and releasing space/harmonics/speed). But even if not for you, this could give you a reference to fine tune and optimize from.

Some thoughts anyway.

Exciting!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #478 - 05/02/24 at 21:42:11

Will, always love hearing your take on things. And others as well, I learned long ago to pay attention to those who travelled the road before I got there. Being tall, I get the spider webs either way.

I've made my fair share of interconnects, but not a single power cord. There are so many choices as far as wire, connects, etc it's a bit daunting. Like anything else you got to start somewhere so I plan to go back through old posts and look for hints. I ordered a DHC2 a few weeks ago and put it on my AVR to give it some burn in. The Netflix ba duuum startup sound just isn't the same without the DHC2, so I need an upgrade there.

I don't want to derail things too far here, but since the SDFB does need power cords I think this could be on topic. I have outlets near both my audio and my AV setup and I'm not a fan of long power cables looping around stuff.  Is too short a power cable a bad thing? Well, other than shooting myself in the foot down the road someday when I may need that extra length. If not, let's say I cut a DHC2 in half, took a moment of silence for its sacrifice, and added new connectors for two shorter cables?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #479 - 05/02/24 at 22:31:28

Sean,

As you might guess, I have a number of thoughts on this, but have to head out now for an appointment. I will get back later.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #480 - 05/03/24 at 04:18:15

Perhaps a side-track, or perhaps a compliment to the thread, cables mattering to the SDFB as much or more than with anything else. I could go on for a long time about different design considerations, nice ready-made cables with your selection of ends, etc, but I hope this helps answer your question Sean.

I remember looking at theories that with relatively high quality power cords longer can be better... A long time ago, so don’t remember details, but as I recall, a theory is that they are functioning as a conditioner/filter, and within reason, longer offers more. Thinking about it now, I can conceptually imagine this with these ideas: electrons with wire that allows easier/more fluid movement, along with less noise susceptibility due to careful/by-sound geometry, and in many cases, with shielding designs that hopefully do not degrade other aspects of the sound as they reduce noise… I can imagine this combo could condition/smooth the power by making the electron paths and activities cleaner and easier.

That said, I have made some good sounding cables that are pretty short, and recently, very short, making some “piggies” that are a little shorter than Mark's, cables that to me are more musical and complete than Mark’s already pretty transparent piggies. And one being in front of my power regenerator that feeds the amp and pre-stages, it is the beginning after a very transparent receptacle… and it was a system upgrade.

Also when I have added clear quartz filters in bags, or boxes, or cast, on cable ends or fitted in the cable wires near the ends, it changes the sound for the better...less noise and more complex resolution, speed and space… And other crystal rocks can be nice, clarifying and nicely colored, while others I have rejected. But smallish tumbled clear quartz crystal pieces are quite neutral, and do some nice magic.

I did not build those into my special “piggies,” but do have “a bag of rocks” under the AC end of the cables, helping the cable and the receptacle. Just a little thickish plastic bag some resistors or small caps came in. And these filters are cumulative in effect. Having explored them over many years, I have variations using different minerals I liked that lend different balances to the sound placed all over the place (over transformers, IEC and AC ends, under tube circuits….) each chosen by sound and pure quartz most used I guess, finding clear quartz to be most transparent, dynamic, and spacious.

At some point I started adding them into the structure of some power cables. Which leads me to length again. I had a, I think(???) 3 foot, MyAudioCable HC (high current) braided 10 gauge silver plate on copper cable that seemed very similar to Decware cables at the time. Bought on a promotion sale, it was pretty cheap, and was one of my early cable upgrades. I was no longer using it after finding 10 gauge in the case of this cable was a little too full/thick/slow sounding for me.

When he was upgrading his system some years ago, I wanted to express some appreciation for Dom for the work he does, and being a really good guy. So I decided to try to make this cable as good as I could... hopefully an upgraded addition to the Decware cable he had, and if it came out sounding really good, give it to him. It finally sounded quite good to me... not as good as cables I have made with design, materials, and geometry that more easily allow refined levels of speed, resolution, and tonal balances, but quite good. I used some Neotech gold plated UPOCC copper ends I got years ago at a good price when they were discontinued…After hearing them, I got a number of pairs over time… This was before UPOCC had been recognized like it is now, and they are really good sounding ends. But with that cable wires and geometry, I knew it could use a little more help to bring it out more fully, hoping for a little more speed and spaciousness/complexity. So I integrated some Orgonite-like quartz based filter pieces I had been experimenting with that I made specifically for audio. I think this was near the AC end (?) built into in the wire braid. Pretty sure I used small packets of quartz powder held in some pretty strong plastic near the cable/ends connections as well. To me, changing the brass ends to UPOCC, and the quartz filters, made an OK cable really musical and relatively complete. And it was pretty short!

So, if it is a good gauge for your sound needs, I guess cutting your what, 5-6 foot DHC-2 cable in half could work pretty well. But to make it better, I would encourage you to buy some small tumbled quartz rocks from a highly rated seller, and experiment with different amounts of it in little bags at both ends of the cable. Also I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like those ends could be brass(???), and if so, I would look for some nice pure copper ends, or pure copper with gold, silver, or rhodium plate… each plate having a different sound. And if you want to try some that are not very high cost, but can be quite good, check out Chinese made audiophile ends, perhaps on Ebay from a highly rated seller. I buy things relatively regularly from AliExpress and have not had any issues I could not solve, but I get that the added security of Ebay/Paypal together if there is an issue feels more comfortable to a lot of folks. Hope this helps.

Will

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #481 - 05/03/24 at 19:12:13

I don't know gentlemen.......if it gets any better than the experience I am having this afternoon with my ZMA. Great time to be an Audiophile with DECWARE......as Lon stated previous.

However, apparently it does......with the spill gates to soon be wide opened on the power flow of my ZMA.

I need to play Anticipation/Carly Simon LIVE ......next.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #482 - 05/03/24 at 20:48:51

@S of T

Love this - makes me proud and super happy - Thanks for your post.

I very much enjoyed our conversation. I think Grampa (Irving) Marantz would be really pleased with this and other products we are making

@Kamran - ALWAYS enjoy our conversation. I seem to have less and less time these days - but that's about to change. I love doing what I do - and I am working on ways to have more time for me. Smiley

@Sean

Call anytime - please. About to get on a plane (ugh) but6 the weekend is fine - 303.594.7586

@Lon - Major Grampa Hugs man...

@All - yes, we have moments when we have stock outs. In this case we were stock out because Singapore took SEVENTY ONE SDFB's - no joke and now Germany and other EU Countries (The Netherlands et all) and ordering almost daily.

NO COMPLAINTS - we are a very small company and sadly due to other issues (mainly health of others) I'm spreads a bit thin.

New Sluggos are bringing a new dimension to this also. We have three new ones all being made in larger quantities now. Takes Time.......

Graphene is amazing

Tellurium Copper with Rhodium Plating to me is amazing too...

GS has my one sample of Magic Fuse Gen 2 which is referred to here as Air Core. This hasd 4 separate Nano Treatments plus a new Metallurgy Mix that's for many - the end game.

@Will - always want to hear and see more from you... Your thoughts challenge me in a great way. I respect and appreciate all of you...

Lastyly - new metal just arrived from Japan for FUSE MAX which is roughly 50% bigger to allows us to finally support 11 to 32 amps safely.

LOTS OF WORK went into this...

Love to all and great thanks

Mark

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #483 - 05/03/24 at 21:42:48

Will, thanks! Going to take some time to digest all that, I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share. Sometime this weekend I plan to get all three up and running on sluggos.

S of T, sounds like you are enjoying the new sounds as well!

Mark, you’ve probably been told over and over, you gotta take time for yourself too! Keep up the great work!

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #484 - 05/04/24 at 00:00:35

Oh no, Sean, I was just alluding to getting my SDFB.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #485 - 05/04/24 at 18:33:59

The prototype I mentioned previously was the Aircore Sluggo.

I really like it.  Hard to decide if I want to go all Aircore or add one graphene.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #486 - 05/05/24 at 10:01:49

I'm sure that's a very interesting Sluggo.

For my system needs Mark suggested a Super Duper Sluggo and I have one on the way to me. I'm hoping for just a little more low end presence and a bit less high frequency energy.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #487 - 05/05/24 at 14:46:53

I find these names for some of the sluggos difficult not having association with the metal and plate, things I understand. I guess I already have too many things taking up mind space to want to devote more to memorizing what metals these names represent...

So Lon, hoping you can remind me which one is the "super duper" sluggo? I hope it helps with your sonic needs!

The hollow silver and a rhodium and platinum plated hollow silver fuse replacements I first ordered somehow got refunded.... it was a little confusing to me, maybe the seller not getting them out for a week or something so AliExpress started the refund? Anyway, I went to the other place I had found that had what looked like the same and paid more, but they are on the way. Maybe a week? I am looking forward to comparing/hearing these hollow variations!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #488 - 05/05/24 at 16:42:48

Unless I too am confused the Super Duper Sluggo is:

Tellurium Copper with Rhodium Plating

Mark recommended these to address my system needs . . I don't think there's a possible bad choice especially if you can tailor by blending one or two or three types in different components. I know with my addiction to tweaking if I pay down more debt I may climb the ladder of the verafi Sluggos.

Sorry for the delay; I am sure you will enjoy the hollow silver slugs. I have two in use right now, and they have me very happy where they are (P15 and DAC).

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #489 - 05/05/24 at 16:52:51

Spent some time yesterday getting things setup. Long story short, running the ZP3, CSP2+, and UFO off one SDFB works. I hesitate to write anything in depth at the moment, but I am very impressed early on in the process. Even with using a generic power cord from the wall to the SDFB the improvement is substantial. Piggy should arrive tomorrow, so that will be interesting to hear how that changes things.

Curious about one thing...has anyone noticed their amps running slightly hotter and slightly more physically noisy? By noisy, I'm talking about being a foot or two away from rack and hearing the components more than usual. I don't hear them from my seat so not worried. I guess with more or better current this is to expected.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #490 - 05/05/24 at 17:20:21

Can't say that I noticed any change in "noise." But I am using three SDFB, one for each of three components.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #491 - 05/05/24 at 18:48:39

Super-duper Sluggo?! Oh no! FOMO is hitting me hard....I'm so far behind. Smiley

I received my SDFB yesterday and the Sluggo's ....Piggy Tail to arrive tomorrow,  looking good.

Alright, Alright, Alright! I can say that now, I've lived in South Texas for 5 years. Smiley
Time for my TWINS....going for 13 wins straight/Target Field! MLB.TV.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #492 - 05/05/24 at 19:52:06

Sean, Are you using the same cables as before, or perhaps one or more that are not as good at noise cancelation and protection? I am not, and though here lots of things can increase noise a little...one of them... for a few minutes, or for hours depending on incoming power and how well my systems deals with it, slightly increased noise can mess with my mind....But I wonder if by adding your distribution box and/or different cables, if this could have adjusted cable noise, and possibly ground paths/loops?

That said, I too wondered if adding more slugs into the power and amplifications parts of my setup may have increased noise a little... Can't say for sure as I am transitioning with a relatively new amp that can be noisier, especially with warmup, and more efficient speakers that show noise better, tube experiments, other pre stage experiments... etc... always tuning something. But mitigating/reducing noise is also always part of those choices.

And I can imagine that the slugs, from amping up the current into especially tube stuff, also amping up the power supplies (including transformers), and tubes in the gear...and doing that in a solid clear way, couldn't this also increase the perception of noise that was there in the chain to start with... from minor ground loops, cables, cable placement, tubes or gear? Like for so many, the slugs helping bring out aspects of what might be perceived as positive musical adjustments/revelation, might greater electron flow potentially make previous noise a little clearer too?

One test that could be interesting if up for it and easy (not so easy here with so many slugs and some in difficult to get to spots).... in the warmed up system, listen carefully for the qualities and loudness of the noise. Then leaving all else the same, including the Fusebox, your distribution box, cables... pull the slugs while putting the fuses you had been using back in, let it warm back up and listen.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #493 - 05/06/24 at 00:55:19

Before I was using DHC-3 on the UFO, DHC-2 on the CSP and ZP3. Last night I ran a generic cable from wall to SDFB. DHC3 to the box. DHC2 to each component. One of the DHC2's has less than 100 hours on it. The other cables are well beyond 500. I got a cheapish power cord from Amazon today, well actually two. I bought them to play around with different connectors. One of those cables is now between the wall and SDFB. I'm holding off on powering up until the current thunderstorm passes. Last night I did hear some grain, but when playing vinyl this can throw a gremlin in the machine. Sometimes after adding something new it peels back the veil and ack! surface noise is more there.

As for the noise, I'm thinking of it the same way as you. The added current is perhaps bringing a noise that was always there just more noticeable.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #494 - 05/06/24 at 16:51:45

Sounds fun. Those cables might surprise you! There is a lot coming out of China now that can be quite good and low cost.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #495 - 05/06/24 at 22:03:20

I've been mildly surprised with some quality stuff from China. One of the cables I bought was a Monosaudio 14awg with copper connectors. Judging by how it feels in the hand and how it was packed I'm not sure anyone could tell where it was made. Plastic caps on each end, three velcro ties and stretchy cable loom over the ends and inside a resealable static bag, not too shabby. Who cares, how's it sound?? Well, it's definitely better than the generic cable it replaced. But with everything burning in and the sound sometimes wandering around I can't say it's a great cable or just a fancy looker. The piggy arrived, so I'll be putting that in the chain and trying the Monosaudio on the AVR or DAC upstairs.

An aside...I spent the afternoon moving my outlet. When I installed the dedicated line I placed the outlet box about 12" from the corner of the room and then ran the wire in a plastic shield to an outlet box beside my rack. That all snaked around a double record bin I have that fit nicely in the corner. Now that I wanted a proper wall outlet the connector and thickness of cables wouldn't allow the record bin to sit where it was. Ack! Wasn't horrible, I have access to the back side of the wall and now everything should fit nicely. Going back down to get OCD with not having any cables touching the floor. Looking forward to good tunes tonight!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #496 - 05/06/24 at 23:33:05

Yes, it can be impressive Chinese made things. I am so glad there are development folks there who are interested in good audio... Think of Gustard, Singxer, Holo, Eversolo.... to name a few in front end components.... Linlai tubes.... the revered Lii Song drivers and speakers.... and of course, all the cables now made, some with really good wires and parts, and many at least decent. To me the Verafi Piggy looks like it is likely originally Chinese parts and wires, maybe curated and perhaps adjusted and/or assembled to Mark's or his partner's preferences, but you couldn't buy 1/2 of one Furutech Rhodium plated carbon fiber connector for the cost of a Piggy.  And the DHC-3, I believe I saw on a Chinese site at one point, without a Decware logo or perhaps any specific design tuning or assembly Steve might have asked for or be doing... but it looked like the same base cable as I recall. Don't know...but if I got it sort of right, curating and quality assurance, or design adjustments... these are valuable things... but the thought being there is good stuff coming out of China....I have gotten quite a few things over time that have been quite good in my experiments. Clearly potential issues for folks in labor practices, and political issues. But in the potential for good quality, and to support innovators in the audio development community there, I am personally for it. They are shaking up the pot and that is usually pretty good for innovation.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #497 - 05/07/24 at 14:04:20

Came up short receiving the balance of my SDFB order, yesterday. Slow to get out of the San Antonio Annex to McAllen. However, out for delivery today!

I'm triaged/prepped for surgery/installment to my ZMA. Smiley

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #498 - 05/07/24 at 14:07:11

Stone,

Prepare your ears and mind. The piggy tail takes about 30-40 hours to settle in, may sound a bit treble bright initially. Enjoy.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #499 - 05/07/24 at 14:11:42

Ubet HK.

Sean, all for not crazy money on PCords, etc.....
I sold my Kimber KS6063 Speaker Kables for what I paid for them. Created my own hi-bred KS6063/6065 of equal.
My XLO/PRO x 2 PCords I own, are still the best to my ZMA in clean neutrailty.

I purchased the Kimber PK10 Palladian for a song from David Weinhart of Weinhart Design (used) that runs from wall to PS Audio P3 & the Shunyata I purchased from the CableCo reasonably..... transforms, my Decware ZDSD.

My Kimber KS1030 IC......has yet to be dethroned. Worth every penny.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print