Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 11:15:15 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived! (Read 2635 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
04/03/24 at 18:17:25

I want to bring your attention to this Kamran posted in another thread.

A few years ago I was curious about this and eventually placed the idea into long term storage.

He kindly repaid the favor and started watering the seed I stored away.

There was another thread started about the STR… it quickly turned into a dumpster fire, so starting fresh. I didn’t relook at the entire thread, I don’t think anyone actual owned one to tried one so it was all speculation anyway.

Well I’m not speculating anymore! I have a STR-1002 Super.

These tube really are JUMBO!

When I first held a EML 5u4g I was giggling how big it was... now it looks like a small guy.

There is almost no information about these so I’ll explain how it works to the best of my understanding.

The STR requires a power cord. This power, powers the heaters of the tubes.

There is an umbilical cable that fits into the rectifier socket on the component you want to use the STR with. The component “sends” AC down the umbilical cable to the STR for rectification. Then the STR sends DC back to the component.

The STR has a few different modes of operation. It can use 1 or 2, 4-pin jumbo tubes as diodes. So running two tubes you get full wave rectification and 1 tube half wave rectification.  It also includes a SS rectifier so you can run 100% no tube rectification. You can blend the SS and tube rectification. It’s also possible to run different tubes and “blend the sound like blending two different juices”

I’ll speculate a bit here. By offloading the high current heater from the rectifier the component power supply isn’t working as hard. It also reduces electromagnetic fields inside the component. By separating and spacing apart the two diode-tubes there is less interference between them resulting in a cleaner signal. Look at a standard rectifier everything is jammed in there really close.

The 4 pin jumbo tubes are amazing. Al from Space Tech said that when using DHT as a rectifier people cannot wrap their heads around how much they copy the same sound when used as a power tube. I’ve only listened to 4 pin jumbo tubes in show settings so I don’t know what their sound is. Based on others reports of how the jumbo tube amps sound, when used as a rectifier they do impart their sound signature.

What is that sound signature?  It’s the most involving reach out and touch the music sound I’ve ever heard. Music flows through out the room in a magical way.

The thing that is really hard to wrap my head around is how it really adds everything.

In the Lampi TRP I was running a Sophia 274b Aqua II and then the EML 274b Mesh. The Sophia is bold and juicy with plenty of density. The EML is more extended and faster, much better attack and space.

Running 1x PSVANE 805A Classic—half wave rectification—It’s better than both at the same time. I’ll say it again, it takes the best of both tubes increases the goodness and blends them together.

The first thing that I noticed was how everything was more vivid. My old definition and understanding of density has entered a new paradigm.

I’m hesitant to start talking about how much more detail there is. Often for me when someone starts raving about detail bright, harsh and fatiguing come to mind. None of that exists.

Details like cymbals being lightly activated when the kick drum is struck. Not since I added all the room treatment have I been so blown away with now much things have changed.

Another thing that caught me by surprise. Having the STR-1002 plugged into the TRP the entire system sounds like it has unlimited power. Which is something that I would think would be in the domain of the amplifier.

I received a pair of Linlai 845s, I bought the internally coated ones specifically because the 4 pin jumbo tubes are as bright as light bulbs. At night they offer a nice amount of illumination without being too bright.

The first few hours I was not impressed with them preferring the single PSVane 805a Classic. The 805As had been burned in for a day or two at STL before shipping and the Linlai 845s are fresh. After 5 hours the 845s started to sound better. As of right now I have 10 hours on the 845s. I’ll comment on the sound difference once I have more time on the 845s.

I did elect to have the choke option. The choke smooths everything out, reducing dynamic impact and some speed. It offers a more euphoric dreamy sound. I only have a few hours with the choke engaged, I want to get some more hours on it before I really did into the differences with and without the choke.

I can see the choke being a nice option for the nights I’m tired and want to float off to sleep.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how much of an impact this has. It's really giving me everything I've wanted. All the mythical things that seem out out reach this is providing. I do want to offer a bit of a context. I have a dedicated room with literally 3+ tons of treatment.

Sometime in the near future I'm going to bring it over to my brothers place and try it on his UFO25th. This should be a more "real world" experience.

I'm talking to Al about making a custom 4 tube version for my amp.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
Reply #1 - 04/03/24 at 18:49:38

That's very interesting Groovy. I bought a (used) 300B amp from Space-tech, and it is/was great. I always wondered about the the Super-Rectifier, esp. after emailing with AL, who is a bit of a mad-scientist IMO, in a very good way, but also put the idea in long term storage. For whatever reason I recently started wondered if I could get a custom STR that would drive both my UFO25s, which have pretty low current requirements. Depending on how it sounds with your brothers amp (I'm confident it will be awesome) and depending on how the budget looks this might be something I need to pursue.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/04/24 at 03:43:13

Me and my big mouth lol!  All kidding aside, I’m super glad that this nudge amounted to a profound positive impact to your already impressive rig.  Based on my observation, such changes are hard to achieve, when you already have a very resolving setup (and room). This speaks volumes of how compelling the Super Rectifier is and has already shot up high on my  radar.

Love the custom chassis—-so much better than STL’s typical industrial design.

Questions:

Can you elaborate on Full vs. Half Wave rectification.  Why choose one over the other (granted you have the option to do in the first place).  

Why did you opt for the jumbo tubes vs. running DHT’s?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/24 at 14:27:05

James,

When I try it with my brothers UFO I'll also try just one tube (half wave) and report back. This is a much cheaper option. The UFO only needs 70ma of current so 1 tube will supply plenty of current. If you still have some 300b tubes you could look at the STR-104 which uses 300b.

The only thing the power into the STR unit does is run the heater. So it’s impossible to have 1 unit power two different devices.

Yes, calling him a mad scientist is fitting. He does some things unconventionally.

All joking aside, I’m glad you brought it back into my awareness. I’m really happy with it.

I’m glad I went with the wooden base too. Looks a lot better than the metal chassis for sure.

Half wave vs. full wave. Simply half wave only takes half of the incoming AC wave and converts it to DC full wave takes both sides of the wave and converts it into DC.

Grok will take over:

In the comparison between full wave and half wave rectification, there are several key differences in their efficiency, output, and components used.

1. Efficiency: Full wave rectifiers are more efficient than half wave rectifiers. The efficiency of a half wave rectifier is about 40.6%, while a full wave rectifier can achieve an efficiency of up to 81.2%. This is because a full wave rectifier utilizes both the positive and negative cycles of the AC input, while a half wave rectifier only uses one half of the AC input.
2. Output: The output of a full wave rectifier has a higher average value and lower ripple factor than that of a half wave rectifier. The ripple factor for a half wave rectifier is about 1.21, while for a full wave rectifier, it is approximately 0.482. This means that the output voltage of a full wave rectifier is smoother and more consistent than that of a half wave rectifier.
3. Components: A half wave rectifier typically uses one diode, while full wave rectifiers can use either two diodes in a center-tapped configuration or four diodes in a bridge configuration. This difference in components can affect the cost and complexity of the circuit.
4. Peak Inverse Voltage (PIV): The maximum value of the PIV in a half wave rectifier is equal to the maximum value of the input voltage (V_m). In contrast, for a full wave rectifier, the peak inverse voltage is twice the maximum value of the input voltage (2V_m).
5. Voltage Regulation: Full wave rectifiers generally offer better voltage regulation than half wave rectifiers. This is because full wave rectifiers have a lower ripple factor and a higher average output voltage.

In summary, full wave rectifiers are more efficient, provide a smoother output, and offer better voltage regulation than half wave rectifiers. However, they may require more components and can be more complex to design and implement.

For clarity the 211, 805, 845 are DHTs.

After emailing back and forth with Al it sounded like the 4 pin jumbo tubes would be the best fit for the sound I was going after. Specifically the 845s.

The jumbo tubes also provide a bit to a lot more current than DHT utilizing the UX4 socket.

I haven’t played any records since I hooked up the STR. I’m thinking for the first time in my life I’m preferring the sound and experience of listening to digital over vinyl. I never thought that would happen! I’m very seriously considering a custom job to run my amp.

I’ve been having a lot of trouble turning the system off to goto sleep the last 3 nights.

Much better night time experience with the coated tube not blasting light into my face, I'm thinking I'm going to get some of Audio Magic's Black Out paint to paint the offending tubes.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #4 - 04/04/24 at 17:19:28

And here I was thinking I had run out of components on my wish list! This is interesting.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/04/24 at 17:34:33

"Grok"

Thumbs up on the Stranger in a Strange Land reference.  

In high school that book changed my life.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 04/04/24 at 18:33:47

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #7 - 04/04/24 at 19:03:37

Man! I’ve been waiting for this write up GroovySauce! I think it’s a very interesting device for sure. I’m very happy to hear you feel that there is a definite sonic difference.

It would be super cool if Space Labs could indeed build a unit that could provide outputs to 2 rectifier sockets for the likes of those of us that plan to use it with something like a Torii for instance. Especially at an advantageous price point as opposed to buying two super rectifiers.

Did the grey coated Linlai tubes address the bright light issue you had and do they sound as good as the PSVane tubes?

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 04/04/24 at 19:59:57

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 06:27:05

...The only thing the power into the STR unit does is run the heater. So it’s impossible to have 1 unit power two different devices.

Obviously I'll talk to AL about this, but what the rectifier does is provide the (rectified) high voltage B+ signal for the tube plates. A single rectifier does this for 2 channels of a stereo amp, I don't see why it is impossible for a single STR to provide 4 channels for two monobloc amps as long as long as the current requirement is manageable. And it ought to be for 2 UFOs. Whether it could swing it for higher powered amps is another question. If/when I have this discussion with AL I'll certainly report back.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/24 at 23:40:42

Bloodlemons me too! Cheesy Thanks Kamran!

Sai, Yes, the coated Linlai are perfect for night time listening.

These technical questions are outside of my understanding. Al has been great about answering my questions so if it's something you're interested in I suggest shooting him an email.

“Impossible” was a poor choice of words on my behalf.  One of the benefits of monoblocks is the separation of everything. Tying them together negates this. I would also be concerned about ground loops or other undesirable results.

For the Torii I think it needs more current than two 845s can provide for both sides.

A single 845 can supply ~100-120ma of current.  

They do offer a unit you can run xenon and mercury vapor rectifiers which output a lot more current. How they sound compared to the 845s is something I don’t know.

There is the STR-1003 which can use 2x 4 pin jumbo and 2x 300b or xenon or mercury vapor rectifiers. So 4 tubes total. I’m more interested in a 4 tube jumbo unit. The reason I want a one chassis for 4 tubes over 2 more of the STR-1002 is  I’m not sure where I would fit them both. One larger unit will be easier to place. Also adding another PC complicates things. I Haven’t tried different PC on the STR yet. I’m guessing it will make a difference…. if a PC makes a difference does that mean I should get a SDFB for it too? lol.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/07/24 at 16:57:04

Hey Groovysauce,

I have seen these before as I was looking at the Schumann products.

Interestingly  space tech also produce amps and pre amps and the reviews I watched suggested the super resonator didn’t do as much for these products which suggest they must be stunning. Have you had a chance to hear their  pre’s or power amplifiers Nigel?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 04/07/24 at 17:26:54

Quote:
Posted by: johnnycopy      Posted on: Today at 08:57:04

...Have you had a chance to hear their  pre’s or power amplifiers Nigel?

Not the OP but I have one of the their 300B amps and it is very nice indeed, esp. for the money. I saw it used on the space-tech website and was intrigued because, even though it is a singled end triode output stage, the input stage is balanced. Which is both cool and clever.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/08/24 at 16:09:33

I have not listened to any of STLs amplifiers.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #13 - 04/10/24 at 22:51:42

I am putting in an order for an STR-104-Mk2-Super. I'm going straight for the 866A mercury vapor tubes, and have a matched pair of those (NOS RCA) on the way as well.

I think I'm planning on using it with my CSP3, but I could also use it with my ZP3. Do any of you have any thoughts on which might present the greater effect? With the CSP3 it would influence the whole system, but I primarily listen to music on vinyl, so using it with the ZP3 directly might have more impact in that regard.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/10/24 at 23:18:06

Bloodlemons, That's exciting!

What is drawing you towards the mercury vapor tubes?

ZP3 vs. CSP3 I'm super excited to hear which you find has the greater impact! It is really hard to say. I'm guessing adding to the ZP3 might be more impactful. As it will change the source and the CSP3 will work with what it's given.

I just ordered a pair of adapters so I can run 300b and with another adapter which I ordered from ebay I can run 5v octal rectifiers. This will allow me to try it on the amp before ordering another STR.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #15 - 04/11/24 at 00:46:08

To be completely honest, I am starting with the mercury vapor tubes because they look really, really cool. I'm not going to pretend that I won't be listening with my eyes in that respect.  ::)

However, I've read in a few places that they actually sound really great and bring an unusual dimension to the sound. We'll see if it's something I like.

The 866A tubes aren't particularly expensive, and the super rectifier ships from Space Tech with a set of 3B22 tubes, so I'll have a baseline for comparison there. I will eventually go with what sounds best, but I have a soft spot for that mad scientist look where I can get away with it.

Your adapters sound interesting. There's always something new to try...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #16 - 04/11/24 at 01:21:12

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 14:51:42

I am putting in an order for an STR-104-Mk2-Super.

Very cool! I'm looking forward to your experience.

I admit I'm easily influenced by you guys, and a STR has been sounding like a better and better idea. I was also thinking about a 104 for my (non-Decware) pre/headphone amp. I already have 300B tubes and various UX4 rectifiers I can use. I'm not crazy about the idea of mercury vapor tubes in the house, but I'm warming up to that as well.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/11/24 at 03:38:24

Quote:
but I'm warming up to that as well

I see what you did there….well played, sir!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/11/24 at 12:48:28

Quote:
To be completely honest, I am starting with the mercury vapor tubes because they look really, really cool. I'm not going to pretend that I won't be listening with my eyes in that respect.  ::)

I totally get that! Sounds like you will have a bunch of options to play with.

I also added a converter so I can use 3B22s in the STR-1002 as well.

I'm also not a fan of the mercury vapor tubes. I'm guessing the chance of it breaking and causing a hazard are very low, rather not risk it.

In some aspects adding the STR-1002 to the Lampi TRP was a larger step up than going from the MAY KTE to the TRP. The upgrade to the TRP was a very significant one too.

Since I've added the STR-1002 my listening sessions have consistently been the best I've ever experienced. It's the most difficulty I've ever had trying to language what I'm hearing. Not only the hearing, the experience and feeling. I'm amazed that the Super Tube Rectifiers are not talked about more.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 04/11/24 at 15:21:24

Quote:
I'm also not a fan of the mercury vapor tubes. I'm guessing the chance of it breaking and causing a hazard are very low, rather not risk it.

Yeah. My thing is if it were only humans in the house I wouldn't be worried. But we have cats, and while they are well behaved, they are still cats...

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #20 - 04/11/24 at 15:29:40

... they are still cats...

You got that right.  My 21-year-old cat, Chunk, still get into all sorts of mischief.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #21 - 04/11/24 at 15:47:54

I'm having some trouble deciding which model STR I really want. Al's website doesn't help much; the models depicted are all subtly different (likely due to being from mainly custom orders) and I honestly have no idea if I'll prefer 2.5v or 10v or half or full wave rectification. I keep thinking I should just start with the 104 Super, given that I don't really know what I'm getting into. But it would be just as easy to order something a level or two up. I'm experience option paralysis!

Groovy Sauce: how did you settle on the 1002? What were the deciding factors there?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #22 - 04/11/24 at 15:57:56

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 07:47:54

I'm having some trouble deciding which model STR I really want...

Just email AL.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/11/24 at 16:12:12

Quote:
Groovy Sauce: how did you settle on the 1002? What were the deciding factors there?

I asked Al what the most holographic 3D sounding tube was. He said it was the 805A and 845 tubes. That is how I made my decision.

The STR-1001 is one tube and half wave rectification. STR-1002 is two tubes and full wave.

When I was looking into the STR and Al said the 845s are the most holographic I started to look into 805 and 845 tubes. It's amazing how the Super Tube Rectifiers bring the sound of the tube to the music. Reading the descriptions of how 845 amps sound the character was transferred to the system.

With adapters I will be able to run 4 pin jumbo tubes, 300B, 5u4g (and other octal 5v rectifiers), 3B22 and possibly others.

The ability to mix and match tubes in the STR make the possiblilites vast.

I've tried 2x 845s on my amp and it has too much voltage drop and not enough current to let the amp really sing. It needs ~300-320 ma current and two 845s only supply 240 ma. Running a 3B22 or a v5 rectifier and a 845 I'll have plenty of current and voltage. It shows promise of the sound I want. It loses other aspects that I don't want to sacrifice. I'm 95% sure this is due to not enough current from 2 845s.

I really want to use four 845s for the amp. If that doesn't work I'll run a v5 rectifier or 3B22 and three 845s or 805As.

It really opens up a whole new world of tube rolling. I'm also curious how running say a EML 274b in the DAC or running the same tube through the STR changes things.

I've also been vacillating on what I want to do for a STR for my amp. When the adapters arrive it will assist in me making a decision.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #24 - 04/11/24 at 16:17:05

CAJames: I did email Al this morning. I was just hoping to hear some Decware-centric opinions/experiences before I finalize my order.

Groovy Sauce: Thank you for your detailed response. If 805/845 tubes provide the most holographic image, then that's the one I want. Easy decision there!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/12/24 at 12:39:11

Bloodlemons, I might have told Al I wasn't interested in the mercury vapor tubes, if I did then they weren't part of the discussion.

A pair of 845s really do sound incredible performing rectification duties. I still cannot wrap my head around the astonishing difference it makes.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #26 - 04/12/24 at 13:40:10

Nigel,

I have to say that this is by far one of the interesting threads I’ve read in a while.  Sounds like you are getting stratospheric sound with the new Space-Tech rectification.    I’m eager to hear your impressions when you try it at your brother’s house with his UFO25th.  

James…when you talk to Al please report back on whether or not it’s possible to run 2 monoblocks with the Space-Tech.  While I’m in no position right now to make a purchase, it would be great to know of the potential for a future purpose.  But I think the reality is that in my open space layout in an untreated room, the positive results I would achieve would be diminished.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #27 - 04/12/24 at 16:38:11

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Today at 05:40:10

James…when you talk to Al please report back on whether or not it’s possible to run 2 monoblocks with the Space-Tech.  While I’m in no position right now to make a purchase, it would be great to know of the potential for a future purpose.

For sure. Although realistically I'm in a similar position so the conversation isn't going to happen right away. I'm also thinking more about a STR for my preamp rather than the UFOs.

Quote:
...But I think the reality is that in my open space layout in an untreated room, the positive results I would achieve would be diminished.

I think that depends on the results you're looking for. If you want "holographic 3D" then yeah, you (and I) are likely going to be limited by our rooms. But if you want to change the sound character e.g. dynamics and transparency or warmth and density then I don't feel like the room is going to hold us back very much. Certainly I've made profound changes to the sound by swapping (tube) rectifiers, and I expect a STR would be that on steroids.

I'm also very interested in the results of using a favorite rectifier in a STR vs. directly in the component.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #28 - 04/12/24 at 19:24:23

Dominick: I spent a lot of time deciphering the STL site re: the STR. What I came away with most is that many of Al's orders are custom products in some way, subtle or unsubtle. Based on the options and form-factors available in his stock units, as well as what I've seen otherwise on the site, I am confident that he could build a single unit to serve both of your mono blocks, with a separate cable for each amp, albeit almost certainly utilizing separate tubes for each amplifier, but with a common power supply and housing enclosure, etc.

Likely that would require four tubes and two sets of tube switches/controls, if you want full wave or switchable rectification, or two tubes and two sets of switches/controls if you just want half-wave rectification. Although, if you're having that type of unit custom-built, I don't know why anyone wouldn't fork out for the full-wave/switchable rectification.

I am not a wealthy man, but when I have something custom made that I plan on keeping potentially for the rest of my life, I pretty much go all out, within reason -- essentially "future-proofing" the gear as much as possible. I've certainly done that with all of my Decware gear, in that I really don't think I'll ever replace this system with something else.

I'm "only" 49, and I may put together another system or two for other locations (I already have a modest but pretty cool setup in my home office), but I can't really imagine parting with the Decware stuff for any reason. The gear responds so well and so significantly to tube rolling, gain settings, and other tweaks such as the one discussed in this thread that, in my experience, you can really make it all sound however you want.

And here I am rambling again. Anyway, it would be cool to see what Al could come up with to address your mono block situation. He's very responsive and detailed via email, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you spec out a hypothetical unit to address your needs.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #29 - 04/12/24 at 23:00:28

James….yeah ultimately I would be looking for that 3D holographic sound.  I just recently swapped out the rectifiers in my Torii from a VR75 to a 150, and that was interesting.   Still breaking them in, but the change is very noticeable.  The STR sounds like it will really be a great addition.  Since my SE84C+ 25th monos don’t have recitifers like your 25th UFO…I would really like to explore this avenue, especially seeing how the sound in my Torii has changed.  

Bloodlemons….thanks for your info.  I’m only 52 and I love be my Decware setup and plan to have these amps for the rest of my life.  I have no desire to look further.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 04/12/24 at 23:12:37

Quote:
osted by: Dominick      Posted on: Today at 15:00:28

...I just recently swapped out the rectifiers in my Torii from a VR75 to a 150, and that was interesting.

Those sound like voltage regulators, not rectifiers. But that certainly would be a big change. However, in my experience, the difference changing rectifiers is much bigger than changing VR tubes.

Actually I should clarify that. There are lots of good/interesting sounding rectifiers, that sound good in different ways. With the VR tubes, there is a small window where the sound works best. Outside of that the VR tubes sound very different, but it is more like different kinds of bad. JMO/YMMV and all that.

Quote:
...Since my SE84C+ 25th monos don’t have recitifers like your 25th UFOs...

I'm pretty sure they do , they don't have voltage regulators.

Quote:
...I love be my Decware setup and plan to have these amps for the rest of my life.  I have no desire to look further.

Me too. I want to be buried with mine, like a Pharaoh.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/13/24 at 02:06:59

Dom said:I have to say that this is by far one of the interesting threads I’ve read in a while.

I couldn’t agree with you more, Dom. One of the reasons that I keep coming back to this forum is the continuing quest to improve systems, sometimes with components or combinations that I’ve never heard of. Keep ‘em coming, folks!

Randy

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/13/24 at 14:13:58

For a few years the Super Tube Rectifiers have been on my radar. Not much information about them at all. Kamran gave me a nudge so send some thanks his way too.

Dom, as of right now the sound I’m getting from the system is like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. After getting a majority of the treatment into my room it was a paradigm shift making it difficult to accurately describe how the system sounds. Since then I’ve tweaked fine tuned and got the system to a place I was so thrilled.

Adding the STR was another paradigm shift. When I get over to my brothers place and try the STR on the UFO25th will be a telling experience. Will it be as drastic in a “real world” setup? Blue Node 2 (I think) or TV -> Holo Audio Spring KTE w/ volume control -> UFO25th -> AV123 speakers with upgraded cross overs They have 2x 5.25” drivers and a tweeter. Zenwave cables. It’s a great system and fun to listen to.

Will it be the paradigm shift that happens in the dedicated room? How much of a change will there be? When adding anything to the system I’ve started to look at it from this perspective. If I add X dollars how much do I enjoy the result? Doesn’t matter what the money was spent on. What is the ratio of $$$ to enjoyment with the UFO25th in a normal room? I’m hoping to find out this coming week.

I asked Al about using the STR with a pair of 2 watt mono blocks. I’ll report back. I’m guessing he could put two STR-1002 in one box so you only need one PC.

James, Adding a unit to the preamp might be the way to go.

Bloodlemons, You are correct, Al told me custom jobs is his specialty.

As far as the 3D holographic sound. Activating the choke is a significant change. Active it gets euphoric, dreamy, enveloping and extra trippy. What is traded is attack, dynamics and precision. I’m guessing 90-95% of my listening will be with no choke.

One thing that keeps showing up is how alive everything sounds and feels.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/13/24 at 18:56:28

Al responded.

Quote:
Two mono blocks using one single STR is not possible, but making 2 STR in one single box will be okay, not much difference in the cost but the only advantage is that it is more compact.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/14/24 at 01:38:03

GS,
You are such a bad influence!  Just kidding!  First it was SFDBs and now the STRs!  I have been trading emails with Al and he recommends using the STR on my CSP3 (“experience an immediate opening of soundstage in depth, width and height by 50%-200% right away, the degree of improvement depends on the models you put in”). My CSP3 is paired with either the UFO25th or my Cary Audio 300b Signature monoblocks (so a 2 for one deal sort of).  Beats ordering two STRs or the STR-1003 for the monoblocks.  I ordered the STR-1002 with 805A and selectable choke.  It will take 3-5weeks to build.  Can’t wait!  Order now before the backlog starts!  lol!  GS and Kamran, Thanks!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/14/24 at 02:40:48

I’m trying my level best to ignore this thread but you guys aren’t making it easy, lol.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/14/24 at 10:41:41

This looks to be an expensive alternative to tube rolling rectifiers. Something was mentioned by the OP of keeping space between the dual tubes therefore elimination magnetic interference? What about that umbilical cord running DC alongside AC current? Also, adding extra baggage to a well tuned Decware system?

Really guys…not shooting this product down but have some reservations about it.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/14/24 at 13:50:41

Bob, Exciting! I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience. It took about a week for the package to arrive from Canada so keep that in mind.

Kamran, too bad this forum software doesn’t have the ping ability or I would ping you every post I make… LOL. :p

JB,  yes it is an expensive tube rolling device. The way it sounds and the emotional connection to the music is superior to any NOS or modern rectifier I’ve tried.

I was just spit balling the first things that came to mind why it might be such a different sound. In theory if the cable is designed well it will manage the fields well.

I’m not sure what you mean by extra baggage. I get not wanting more boxes, PCs and connections. I don’t want more boxes, I also want to see how good it can get.

I had my reservations too! So much so that I almost never tried it, The last year or so the SDFB and the STR have been

Using a UFO as an example. It’s around 65 watts of power. Almost half (30 watts) is to power the heater of the rectifier. Offloading that means the power supply is working half as hard.

I really don’t know the why of it. I do know that after 100+ hours of it in my system I’m more impressed with it than ever.

In my last post I commented on the differences between choke and no choke. Last night I was running with the choke active. I still stand by my observations. However, It’s not lacking in anyway. It’s sort of like the difference between watching a sunrise or a sunset. Both are spectacular, the share a lot and they are very different.

Listening to Brent Lewis last night the drums still sounded explosive tight and real. This morning I relistened to Brent Lewis - Mumbo Jumbo. Both with and without the choke sounds fantastic. Two very different presentations.

If you’re a fan of drums and percussion Brent Lewis is worth checking out.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/x2qkbnrhly2gc

Some of this albums are percussion, spoken word and poems which isn't for everyone.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #38 - 04/14/24 at 14:03:09

Quote:
Posted by: CAJames      Posted on: 04/12/24 at 18:12:37
Quote:
osted by: Dominick      Posted on: Today at 15:00:28

...I just recently swapped out the rectifiers in my Torii from a VR75 to a 150, and that was interesting.

Those sound like voltage regulators, not rectifiers. But that certainly would be a big change. However, in my experience, the difference changing rectifiers is much bigger than changing VR tubes.

I'm pretty sure they do, they don't have voltage regulators.

Hey James…well I feel like a complete idiot with my last string of comments.  Yes I was referring to voltage regulators that I recently changes on my Torii.   Bad brain fart ….because I then I said something more idiotic that my monos don’t have rectifiers ….WTF? And this is what happens when I’m in a conversation with my wife while trying to post on the forum.  

And yes…you are right…swapping rectifiers really can have a profound change on the sound.  The box of rectifiers I got from you really was an eye opener once I started rolling them on the mono’s.  Right now I’m running and enjoying the RCA GZ34 rectifiers.   The type 80’s are next on the list.  

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 04/14/24 at 14:30:12

Dom, What was the conversation with your wife like?  ;D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 04/14/24 at 15:10:52

I definitely see the appeal and benefit of the Super Tube Rectifier. I've rolled several dozen rectifiers the past years in my components, and have narrowed it down to one that really works well in my three Decware components, and my main amp, the SEWE300B has enough grunt that a rectifier is not taking up too much of its working fuel. . . . I do think a Super Tube Rectifier might be an improvement and I might try one down the line, but right now it's not a priority. (I keep repeating that to myself over and over.)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #41 - 04/14/24 at 15:43:16

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 07:10:52
. . . . I do think a Super Tube Rectifier might be an improvement and I might try one down the line, but right now it's not a priority. (I keep repeating that to myself over and over.)

It seem likes Step 1 of Lon buying a new component is posting he doesn't want one now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 04/14/24 at 15:51:42

That's fair. But you won't see me buying one of these any time soon. it's not possible in several ways.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/14/24 at 17:43:36

LOL CA James!

For me, while the STR is high up on the radar, I’m trying to focus on other priorities including a new component.  To Groovy seperately, I highlighted two considerations:

1) Aesthetics—The aesthetic aspect of having my fav rectifier in the rectifier socket vs. having a length of wire going down the socket.  This is me, preferring the way the amp looks as designed by the mothership vs. a noticeable modification running down the length of it.  Knowing me (and how I trust Groovy 150%), I will most likely end up with it in the future, but I also like the way the amp/rig looks right now and hesitant to mess with it.

2) Simplicity—The STR adds another component to the rig, which means additional considerations of where to place it, aftermarket PCs, which rectifier tubes to experiment with.   Right now, I can call up my kid from work and tell him to start warming up the amp.  It’s simple.  With the STR, the start-up sequence gets complicated, and requires a little more thoughtfulness and patience.

Neither of the above two are showstoppers.  I have no doubt there is going to be a meaningful improvement with the STR—but currently, I value simplicity and aesthetics higher.  Those considerations will change—in other words, I can see myself getting over it.  It’s just a matter of time.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/14/24 at 19:22:05

I get the aesthetic aspect. I think the STR unit with the wood base looks really cool. The umbilical cable could use some love. It’s very flexible and blue. I might need to call up Jonny at Snake River Audio and ask him to make me a custom umbilical with his fancy sheathing Cheesy ugh, why do I think of these things?

It does have a bit of a mad scientist vibe to it which I like.

I get not wanting more boxes. I wish I had less. Before I got the STR and the first few times I turned it on I was a bit nervous. There are a lot of switches and unknowns. Now I don’t even think about it.

I’m in the habit of turning the standby switch on when I turn the unit off. (all switches down) When I fire up the system, first thing I do is turn on the STR, push the start button on the stylus timer, do a super quick sloppy dusting with the floor duster thingy (30-60 seconds) then turn the STR to engage. Then turn the rest of the stylus timers on and switch on the DAC and amp. Whole process takes less than a minute usually.

Also, if you are about to step into a time vortex into alternate reality what is a 60 second start up process in the grand scheme of things? :p

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #45 - 04/14/24 at 20:22:42

Kamran said above:

2) Simplicity—The STR adds another component to the rig, which means additional considerations of where to place it, aftermarket PCs, which rectifier tubes to experiment with.

I searched for "aftermarket PCs" but could not find a reference. How does this fit into the STR?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 04/14/24 at 20:36:13

The Super Rectifier has an IEC inlet for a power cable; many of us wouldn't use a flimsy power cable that the manufacturer supplies. . . we would buy an "after market" one such as the Decware ones, or AudioQuest, Cardas, Shunyata Research, etc.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 04/14/24 at 20:37:28

The STR units need a power cable for the heaters of the tube.

Does a fancy $$$ PC made a difference? I haven't experimented yet. With how it seems to make a difference for everything else my guess is it does make a difference.

I'm going to hook up the plasmatron and power the STR via the Plasmatron and see what happens.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/14/24 at 20:39:38

GS,

lol—I was waiting you to think about upgrading the umbilical cord! And I agree, in the grand scheme of things, what I have noted are minor inconveniences indeed—which is why I’m starting with the assumption that I’m going to eventually get it. I’m just fooling myself that I have regained some sort of control over your influence for the time being, lol!

Tony, I was referring to aftermarket power cables. To the extent the STR comes with a detachable cord, I can see myself upgrading that too.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/14/24 at 20:39:46

Ooof! Lon beat me! lol

Hey Kamran and Hockessinkid I think we need to get Lon on the Snake River Audio band wagon Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print