Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/19/24 at 14:55:03 

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 51527 times)
S of T
Verified Member

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #500 - 05/07/24 at 20:02:39

Oh my yes. In 90 minutes only...I can hear this all going in the right direction. Will return in a few days/hours.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #501 - 05/07/24 at 21:43:35

Congrats! You will be in love with it by tomorrow.

I got the Super Duper Sluggo (tellurium copper with rhodium plating, a thing of beauty) in and I think I may have put it in in the wrong direction but it's a very nice sounding piece of metal!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #502 - 05/08/24 at 16:04:57

My goodness Lon, you're not kidding. I'm a morning person...so I could not wait to be up with my morning Joe in hand......
Mark sent me the HP Copper Sluggo.

I don't know where to start? Theirs a wholeness with richness revealing obscured details with that richness.

It took ... even more real .....up. The reason I listen with a Class A/A1 Amp/even order harmonics/no negative feedback... in the first place.

I run my ZMA direct from ZDSD. Clearly, it's filling those big red Mallory caps with unadulterated power. Bye, bye thin wire fuse forever!

Now, back to goosebumps and Cheshire Cat grin on my face.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #503 - 05/08/24 at 16:39:34

I only have 16 cumulative hours and counting.......
Decay is blowing my mind .....going deeper into the stage too.

Thanks, Groovy Sauce, HK for pointing me to this thread immediately.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #504 - 05/08/24 at 18:28:31

Stone,

I am glad you are enjoying the SDFB with your Mystery amp. It really made a profound difference in my system. Kind of like installing a turbo charger on your cars engine.

I observed many of the SQ attributes you noted and a lower noise floor to boot. Much like potato chips, I bet you can't do with just one. Enjoy.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #505 - 05/08/24 at 19:29:16

Stone, it will get better day by day for a while.

I'm enjoying the sound of the Super Duper Sluggo. There is only one drawback: it is milled to look like a fuse, and as such it is a bit smaller. That is a good thing I think sonically--the lesser mass makes it "push" the current just a tiny bit less, but it also means that when removing the fuse in the Decware fuse holder it generally pops out and rolls around. . . and it's easy to confuse what direction it was in previously. I'm still not sure that I have changed direction in the three times I've had it in and out! I'm going to put a Sharpie dot on one end next time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #506 - 05/08/24 at 22:18:41

HK, yes, lower noise floor too/for sure. Now, I will investigate my ZDSD. It does not have the outboard fuse with the IEC.

Lon, good idea, I will mark one side/Sharpie dot, so when I pop the bugger out I know left vs right. Thanks for the tip. I will reverse the Sluggo at 60-70 hours.

Now, time to catch up on the Snubway thread with you guys.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #507 - 05/09/24 at 09:50:52

Took me four tries but I have the Super Duper Sluggo in the SEWE300B in the right direction and it has been seasoning in steadily. . .

Wow. With the hollow silver slugs in the P15 and the DSD DAC Mk II I am getting just the right tonal balance, the "just right" I've been searching for for some time. Mark called this one right, a great recommendation.

Now: a reminder to myself: don't mess this up! Stop futzing!

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #508 - 05/09/24 at 13:30:01

Lon, my sluggo’s all have the word sluggo engraved on them. I use this for left and right and top to bottom directions. Not sure if yours have the engraving. It is really hard to see on some.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #509 - 05/09/24 at 15:28:53

I don't think mine do--I'll look closely soon.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #510 - 05/09/24 at 15:50:04

Got up early and listening. As my retired brother and I say.....we have such a pressing schedule; the horror of it. Smiley

It does just continue to get better. As Mark said I believe in the Snubway thread .....(to heck with quotes and quotation-I just free write).

I paraphrase:  Our Product(s) bring out the best in your System without taking away from what you created.

Lon, I will continue my progression with other Sluggo's/reading your impressions. When I hit 60 hrs I will reverse my HP Copper Sluggo. Continue from there......

The other Lon....I will look closer too for the engravement.

PS: If you did not know or do..... assembled, quality control & tested in Peter Madnick's facility in California (SDFB).

Peace of mind.....I ran AAlchemy DTI Pro-32 & 3.0 Decoding Engine for 21 years (1994 till 2015) without fail. (Steve's output stage/ZDSD Feb, 2015.... direct to ZMA.....bested these......sold AA).
Point being - great quality control Steve D./Decware & Mark S. & Peter M.

IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #511 - 05/11/24 at 15:59:47

I've only changed a fuse when it blew, that has happened maybe twice in my entire life. So this is all new to me.

We have a Sarah 300b and love it, we are using the full Wathen CryoTone tube set and at low volume you can hear a slight hum (even when dialing the hum down with the hum control). We swapped out tubes and still had the slight hum.

Does the Swiss Digital FUSE BOX help, reduce or eliminate the hum? I'm hoping to hear from someone with actual experience using the Swiss Digital FUSE BOX with a Sarah 300b.

Thank You,
Steve08226

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #512 - 05/11/24 at 16:25:02

With gain adjustment between components I no longer had audible hum anywhere near the listening spot with a fuse or with the Fuse Box with my SEWE300B.  When I had new output tubes (Sophia Electric and then Wathen) I did have some hum but as the tubes seasoned the hum basically went away.

I am pretty certain that the Fuse Box itself will not influence the hum.

I was running for a spell all Wathen tubes in the SEWE300B with the exception of the regulation tubes (I have decided that I love the sound that 75C1 give the amp and will always use those). I liked the sound but in my listening room I found myself getting fatigued with them in place, even after a long burn-in. So I moved those tubes to my living-room system and only kept the 300B-WC in place. But the Wathen tubes are great in my larger living room audio/visual system. Still when the Wathen tubes were new there was a little hum that went away as the tubes seasoned.

So. . . perhaps more time will solve the problem? If not, are your interconnects shielded? If not, I find shielded interconnects to be a quieting factor.

I don't understand 300B amplifier hum, it seems that there may be a tiny bit of hum due to the nature of the tubes and circuitry. But you really shouldn't hear it with the music at low volume. I hope others can add more information.

IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #513 - 05/11/24 at 16:41:51

Lon,

Thank you for the quick response!

We have all the top of the line Decware plugs, xlr and rca cables along with the ZSTYX speaker cables.

We have a zbit and zrock II we'll play with them a bit, the hum is only noticeable at low (background type) volume.

I'm new to tubes just a few years, what tube(s) number would the 75C1's replace?

Thank You,
Steve08226

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #514 - 05/11/24 at 17:14:09

75C1 are an 0C2 tube, but different structure.

0C2

75C1

Most 75C1 seem to be made in England, some in Germany. I find the English to be better sounding in my system, and use them in all three regulation tube spots.

I found that the Sophia Electric and Cryotone 300B tubes that I used took 200 to 300 hours before they settled in and there was a louder hum from them until those hours were on them--then they were pretty darned quiet.

With my SEWE300B in my system I get the best sound and the least hum by lowering the gain on the amp to about half and having the ZBIT about 80 or 90 percent. The ZROCK2 can also provide some hum in my system, but not bad, I have it set pretty high to get the treble reduction.

IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #515 - 05/11/24 at 17:29:58

Lon,

Thanks a lot!

Steve

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #516 - 05/11/24 at 18:31:47

I hope that the noise can be reduced!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #517 - 05/11/24 at 18:56:15

Steve,

I have used almost a full compliment of Cryotone tubes (sans the the 300B) and have not experienced audible hum on my Sarah.  Whatever noise I did experience was because of a noisy WE 300B and the second I replaced it with the stock 300B that came with Sarah, the speakers were dead silent.

And outside of Lon’s experience with initial hum with the Cryotone 300Bs, I’ve read other accounts where the same tubes had no hum whatsoever from the get go.  I should also have some firsthand experience with it in 2 weeks after I receive my tubes from Don.

Hope you figure it out.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #518 - 05/12/24 at 20:57:45

Lon's suggestions really helped, we adjusted the volume / gain control on the amp, the zibit and the zrock II a bit and that really helped.

Now we have a very slight hum that is only noticeable if the music is off and we're standing right next to the speakers.

Thank You!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #519 - 05/12/24 at 21:12:48

Awesome! So happy to read this result.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #520 - 05/12/24 at 21:37:07

I just now installed a hollow silver 5x20 from China in my PS Audio P5, which feeds my amp and CSP3. I have been using a fatter solid silver slug from Golden State in that position.

First impressions, the sound was a little disjointed, edgy in some areas, and smooth and pretty sweet in others. But within several tunes, still some noticeable edge I expect to smooth out and get more complex, but it has already come together with a sound I prefer for the most part.

With almost no burnin, overall it sounds nicely resolving, a little faster, and smooth, and will no doubt improve in these areas. Hard to say exactly what time will do to the tonal balances, but the initial result is like I was hoping it might be, with more good metal than a fuse, and less than my big solid silver slug... more open and cleaner than the golden state silver, less thick, but still with warmish body (with this tube set and setup anyway). And with less thickness, more speed and space, supporting a cleaner tighter bass that is more resolved and complex, along with better inner detail, decays, textures throughout.... and for being new, pretty natural sounding. Looking forward to what a few days of heavy play will do!

Excited.

After this settles in more I will try the platinum/rhodium hollow I have now in the 300B/845 amp.

No doubt system dependent, and do I have a lot of Miflex copper/oil caps around with their harmonically complex warmth, but this seems to be a good tuning tool for me with all the other slugs and sluggos I have in place.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #521 - 05/12/24 at 21:53:21

Great news Will! I have two of these hollow silver in use, and one Super Duper Sluggo in the third SDFB and that combo is very nice, especially with the Black Treasure 300B-Z tubes you sent.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #522 - 05/12/24 at 23:21:18

Yes, thanks to you Lon for bringing the hollow fuse replacements to our/my attention. I am glad they act more-or-less as I suspected they might, and guessing they are likely to become a best friend in this already smooth and warmish leaning system.

Also really glad those tubes work for you... I imagined/hoped they might, but never know considering such a highly tuned system as yours! They should continue to improve, by reports needing a long time to fully come out.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #523 - 05/12/24 at 23:41:56

LIkewise I hope the Psvane I sent work out, I think they just might be really good as driver tubes.

I've been missing the Aqua 274B II but the original Aqua with these 300B-Z are gelling really well and the 300B-Z are settling in nicely, opening up a bit without losing the characteristics I really enjoy.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #524 - 05/12/24 at 23:47:30

Will, I was looking for your source for hollow fuse replacements and could not find it. You mentioned Ali Express, but also a second source.  That is the one I am searching.  Thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #525 - 05/12/24 at 23:56:14

Hey Tony... both places I tried for hollow fuse replacements advertised with the same pictures, and the same choices... so guessing they are the same. Both were AliExpress sellers. The first, cheaper offer fell through for some reason, finding out later they had started a refund to my paypal account. So I ordered from the 2nd, higher priced seller (for these anyway).... Hope this helps.

Will

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #526 - 05/13/24 at 00:03:42

Good info.  Anyone try the Rhodium plated silver versions?  Hollow or solid? I am using Golden State solid silver now.  Thanks

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #527 - 05/13/24 at 00:25:48

Lon,

I look forward to hearing those Psvanes in my amp's driver position... The original ones with this amp were Psvane globes, and have nice qualities here. It gets so specific with such tuned systems, criteria becoming narrower, but from your description off-line they sound like they will be good for me! Excited to hear them.

Hearafter,

I have not tried my hollow Platinum/Rhodium plate silver fuse replacement yet, but there are several posts in the thread about the Verafi "Super Duper Sluggo" which I think might be translated as tellurium copper with rhodium plating??? Lon has recently talked about it, and others earlier as I recall. I don't remember anyone trying the hollow one like I have, but I may have missed it. Might search the thread for super duper sluggo or Rhodium.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #528 - 05/13/24 at 00:59:28

Will, thanks for the response and info.  I am interested in the Ali-Express Rhodium plated silver hollow or solid.  The Super Duper Sluggo has a Super Duper price I cannot justify.  Bought the SDFB to get past the weekly audiophile fuse update with price creep. These Sluggos are starting to head down that path. Uggggh! I do like the solid silver best in my set up.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #529 - 05/14/24 at 18:34:03

Staying with the HP Copper for now. The kaleidoscope continues to turn in focus .....providing all of the kaleidoscope there created by the System. It continues..........

Considering one from wall to PS Audio P3. However, I'm so pleased with the PK10 Palladian from wall to P3.....providing input. In which I prefer running my ZMA/SDFB and ZDSD/Shunyata from the HCurrent outlet.

Lon, you're pleased running SDFB to P15.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #530 - 05/14/24 at 19:21:34

Yes, that was my first and I think it's perhaps the most effective.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #531 - 05/14/24 at 19:25:28

Good Afternoon

Just to let everyone know - the Graphene Sluggos have just arrived in Texas

I think they are pretty dang good - but that's me.

One day soon I will be home and listening again

Many thanks - Mark

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #532 - 05/14/24 at 20:45:33

Mark --

That is awesome news! Looking forward to trying them out!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #533 - 05/15/24 at 15:14:50

Super Piggies due to ship Friday after a long delay.

Vendor has them ready to go

Longer Length and better in every way

Pictures to follow

Thanks - Mark

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #534 - 05/16/24 at 08:43:09

Yay Super Piggies! My new super-rectifier should arrive any day, so I'm glad to hear the new pigs are on their way as well.

And Yay Graphene Sluggos while we're at it! Can't wait to those out!

IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #535 - 05/16/24 at 09:44:40

I have to stop spending money on audio. The Graphene Sluggos are intriguing me, I'd love to hear more about their characteristics. But I'm not ready to purchase in the near future. Love the Super Duper Sluggo's influence on my system.

I decided to try the Cryotone 5U4G . . . Kam loves it, and it doesn't seem to be a JJ product. . . the "softness" that the description on the site mentions is a draw. It occurred to me that the reason the Aqua II failed on me was that I kept turning the amp on and off while trying different Sluggos and different directions of Sluggos. I swapped over to the original Aqua which worked really well with the Black Treasure 300B-Z (I can recommend these tubes to anyone who is seeking a more dark and romantic sound) and today I put my only remaining Aqua II in from my CSP3--the little boost in sound quality is nice . . . I hope that it will last as I don't plan any frequent on and off cycles.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #536 - 05/16/24 at 17:58:03

I'll do the Graphene's. Then, backfill. I probably should do the hollow silver Sluggo's before Graphene? First, need to reverse HP Copper Sluggo in some more hours.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #537 - 05/17/24 at 14:59:32

Super Piggies are on the way (at last)...

I only have 20 to ship now - have ordered 50 more

We have to get some pictures up etc. on the site. Damien is busy with SnubWay arrival and shipping - that's primary

These will be $150 dollars and they are much longer than piggy (1 meter). Super Piggy is Super Cool Smiley Sounds great and works wonderfully well.

We also now have Schuko Piggies in stock - these will be added also

Many thanks

Mark

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #538 - 05/17/24 at 15:59:56

Mark --

I posted a photo of the first (demo/proto?) Super Piggy you sent me a few months back. Here it is again, now that you're starting to have them in stock for future sales.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print