Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 16:14:26 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 42585 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #300 - 03/12/24 at 18:14:57

Good observations James. I was imagining it not as a conductor moving them, more how the conductor structure and qualities conduct how they move, how it lets them move. So similar thoughts.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #301 - 03/12/24 at 18:49:05

Hey Lon... I believe you, but 200-300 for a fuse with my love of somewhat fragile rectifiers and their ability to kill fuses, the higher cost fuses just never got rational for me. The SDFBs appealed in part for this reason... especially if I use one box for two components, it is in that finer fuse cost range, but also in theory will last a really, really long time.... Hopefully moving in this direction, the waiting for the Purples or whatever to be half price or less will pass out of mind. And I was already using variations of "sluggos" in components I was not worried about blowing fuses... so that has been part of my "fuse sound."

I am not so much talking about cheap fuses like Acme's top fuse, a good version of many lower cost fuses many of us have tried to like. I liked it at first, but it did not take long to sound a little overstated in off-balance ways, sounding a little synthetic to me. Years ago, but how I recall it. I was able to work with that for a while, but....   I have liked the overall qualities of some similarly inexpensive Chinese fuses (with graphene and other minerals), not as powerful sounding as the better US ones, but pretty nice especially for the money.

I guess I was mostly talking about fuses you may have used a few versions ago, though I get it that the latest breakthroughs are really, really good. I have heard one the newer Audio Magics, and get your point. On the other hand, it all depends on everything else, and though I prefer better, I have even made some glass fuses sound pretty good with the right initial choice, some tuning of the fuse, and tuning the system to make them sound best.

It is cool, like the sluggos, all decent fuses sounding different, it is intersting to use them like tubes or cables, as fine tuning devices, some helping some components contribute better to the whole than others.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #302 - 03/12/24 at 19:49:02

Well I don't have your modus operandi of making things myself or modifying things and I am new to the Sluggo thing, and honestly think ONE is enough for my system. And. . . I haven't had an expensive fuse blow, just cheap ones, and those darned rectifier board ones that are sensitive I think. (Having sold my Taboo Mk IV I just have one component with those now, and have stopped rolling rectifiers--all three rectifier positions I have are fitted with Aqua II 274B and will be). So the expenses have been worth it and the tailoring potential so alluring.

Anyway, I am trying to not go further in these directions than I have already, trying to enjoy the fruits of my exploratory labors and just enjoy the music. It's great to be at this pinnacle! When the resources arrive I'll explore the vinyl portion of the system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #303 - 03/13/24 at 00:16:18

I hear you Lon... I truly can imagine you are in an extra good place power sound wise. And if you are not loosing your really good fuses, everything balanced so carefully to your needs, one SDFB to explore is a great idea. Even having half-good fuses here, I was in a really good place before.

Seems when we get as focussed as we have been, the parameters of "good" narrow, more and more experiments leading us to find pretty refined sound, and pretty refined preferences in the sound balances we need. Then if we can make that all more refined and better, all good, like your WE300B, but it is not necessarily easy to introduce something that might be quite good, but also has a stronger impact on preferred balances. Now, in part because I can tune with modifications and make some stuff, I am in a new labyrinth. But so far, these sonic puzzles eventually work out, the path becoming clearer and taking things to new levels from which to perceive and learn more... Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed, but usually the refinements that take more effort lead to deeper improvements, so fingers crossed.

I don't have anything with separate fuses for the rectifiers. My Decware amps are getting old! Sounds like a mixed bag, the rectifier seeming to be the most vulnerable part of the amps, so the interior fuses protecting the rest more fully, including the main fuse I imagine...but also more fuses! As I recall there are three fuses on each rectifier....imagining that as pretty well full coverage, seems that could mostly rule out blowing the main fuses with rectifier shorts, and maybe that is part of why you are not loosing good fuses??? But I bet you hear the rectifier fuses too!@#$%^&*()_and with two rectifiers with monos, or the bigger amps, that could be a lot of fuses.

One of these days after you feel like your fusebox and sluggo are all burned in, I bet it would be an interesting experiment to put your fav Regenerator fuse back in and try the SDFB in your 300B.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #304 - 03/13/24 at 00:55:04

I might try that. . . but it's another pandorra's box to open that I may rather leave shut. The regenerator influences everything else, and that seems a good anchor and a good plus for my system, and I really am trying to wean myself away from futzing and futzing and exploring further. The SE84UFO3 Monoblocks were more encouraging to me for experimentation. Perhaps it was the extra regulation stage for the output tubes, perhaps it was the clarity that two separate chassis and power supplies yielded and was so inviting for incremental changes. The SEWE300B is more "right" from the start, so balanced by Steve and maximized that what I have sought is the best sound for all my source material (which is different than the best sound available) and I have been on that trail for nine months and really made good progress, with your help and with this new SDFB component seeming to be the decoration on the finished delight.

Life is so good on the audio front. Been at it more than half my life and it has not been a wasted handful of decades.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #305 - 03/13/24 at 01:16:36

Making the system/room sound great across recordings is one of my most important tuning tools... definitely the final arbitrator. For me, finding the deeper beauty with really good recordings that can sound great while being off balance, can lead me astray, limiting potential. Whereas seeking the beauty while using lots of masters to master the system/room, then working to create alive feeling and seductive sound that works with thick recordings, thin ones, flat or dynamic, bright or dark.... this approach (especially with gain tuning ability) can help them all.... including giving "audiophile" recordings the most refined balances. With a nice setup and this method, I suspect many recording could sound better than they did in their mastering rooms.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #306 - 03/13/24 at 01:44:35

Yes, it's a must have ongoing project for me and my many tens of thousands of discs. I'm happy to be at the apex I've reached so far.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #307 - 03/16/24 at 19:27:54

The copper Sluggo arrived yesterday and has about 24 hours on it now. . . and sounds quite good. This may be the one. Thanks for the encouragement to seek one out, and thanks to Mark for generously shipping one, and right away.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #308 - 03/16/24 at 19:40:18

Lon,

I hope the copper sluggo works out for you. I preferred it in both my SDFB'S (ZMA & MWI modified Cambridge CXN V2). Enjoy the music.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #309 - 03/16/24 at 19:42:42

Thanks HK. I'm about to change the direction soon. This is fascinating stuff.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #310 - 03/16/24 at 20:12:14

Good Afternoon All,

Thanks to all of you for your continuing evolution into SDFB and our Sluggos and how they in tandem can make a very real difference.

I'm trying to keep costs down - we are not a big company and maybe that's part of what makes it all work.

I very much like the High Purity Copper with Gold Immersion in my systems. I started to sell these at 33 dollars shipped, but sort of gave up selling and instead just started "including"

Now, the new Super Duper Sluggos have really taken hold. The Tellurium Copper with Rhodium Plating have become my Sluggo of choice. WHY...

I hear more shading and subtle differences (Google AI description that is apt) - there is a more "precise" and yet delicate presentation to the music. Tonality is more to my liking with these.

That said - High Purity Brass being more "round" and less precision is still attractive.

High Purity Copper elicits details better in many systems.

I love the High Purity Copper with Gold Immersion as a find it a real sort of easy to love rendering. Highly recommended.

Super Duper is really exceptional and not terribly expense at $199 and $299 (size only)

The latest work is with Copper~Graphene - Graphene is probably the single best way to go - but it's hard to make and expensive. Together as a "composite" --- WOW!

More work being done on this -

Testing and Tuning to our liking is both fun and productive.

There's much more to come...

Here always to help.

Best wishes - Mark

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #311 - 03/16/24 at 20:56:52

Thanks for the post Mark. Nice to have this information straight from the company. Looking forward to (and maybe setting some pennies aside for) the Graphene feature.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #312 - 03/16/24 at 21:59:38

Thanks Lon

Always here

Best wishes

Mark

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #313 - 03/19/24 at 00:55:43

I have been exploring my more open and faster "piggies" with different ends, as well as shielded and damped and not. It makes me think on the concept of a cable as a filter, but also a pretty powerful sound tuning adjuster... Years ago, I played with combining different plating metals on each end of power cables I was making. This mixing and matching led into mixing wires in speaker cables and ICs, and in modifications, also using a variety of caps and bypasses for a more complex or specific sound that couldn't be gotten from individual things, including mixing different caps together as one, and same with resistors at times for a particular sound.

Maybe it is that the system is more resolving now, but different piggies in front of the SDFB and favorite cables can be pretty bigtime, not just in terms of the effects of gauge, but also the sonic characteristics of the materials and the geometry... this has gotten my wheels turning.

Along with some opening/relaxing modifications in my CSP3, and tube and cable rolling, and getting used to a little different gain tuning, I have found a good place with the SDFBs. Still testing across recordings, but I am hearing the fine detail and speed balances across the spectrum I was needing to hear, less bias toward bass/density and thickness, and in turn enjoying the solid/smooth clarity of the SDFB sluggos more. I have not retested with fuses, but like some before, feeling close enough that I don't necessarily feel a strong need, seeming to be in a pretty good place.

Helping, was using the 5 amp SDFB in front of my 5 amp Balanced Transformer, and now, my 5 amp PSAudio P5 with a silver slug, then running a cable direct from the P5 to my 5 amp amplifier, the amp also with a silver slug and protected by the SDFB in front of the P5. Both the PSAudio and BT were shipped with 6.3 fuses, but having quite a few 5 amp fuses, I have used 5s in them for a long time without issues. This was a good thing as I considered the SDFBs, planning to integrate protecting my 5 amp amplifiers with the power boxes one way or another with one SDFB.

I was less concerned about this "chain" method with the Balanced Transformer... a pretty fast and clean setup, but could not guess with the regenerator having a fair bit more electronics for a disruption in the amp to get back through for the SDFB to cut the current in time.

Talking to Mark about it, I was glad to have his assurance that indeed this will work with both the BT and the P5. Mark said the SDFB microprocessor is fast and there is no issue using it this way, a really good thing to know.

EDIT: I don't know how much this matters, but it seemed logical.

When I was using the Balanced Transformer with my amp after it, both on the same SDFB, I either left the transformer on, making the additional current rush from the amp separate from that of the transformer, or started them up in sequence.

With the P5, you can set the receptacles to delay. I set mine for 15 seconds, so when I turn on the P5, there is a 15 second pause before a relay turns on the amp and pre receptacle.

In my tests before, I found a silver slug in each of these power boxes made a pretty fast, neutral and clear sound that was big and dynamic, compared to fuses a nice shift. Testing the P5 with a copper sluggo in it, on initial impressions, with a few recordings, I verified that I preferred the bigger, more dynamic sound from the silver slug. When I changed the P5 from a silver slug to a copper sluggo, it was a pretty notable change...a little more open and delicate with a coppery shine. Both the silver and copper getting close to 5 nines purity, I am thinking that the bigger sound with similar speed and clarity from the silver is mostly gauge, good silver clearer and faster, but going from the 5mm copper to 6mm silver making it bigger and more dynamic, and the silver clarity carrying that added hit gracefully with relative neutrality. Not sure if this will hold as I test this setup with more recordings, but for now pretty nice. I would love it if Mark could come up with a silver sluggo of similar purity and 5mm though. That would be another nice tuning tool.

These 6mm slugs do stress IEC fuse holders also, so be aware... I had one break, but luckily had some spares.

Now my direct power and audio chain is all "sluggos" with two digital fuseboxes. My DAC and USB bridge are not protected by fuses, and haven't been since the fall of 2017. I am running my whole front end now through the Sorcer Apprentice, sometimes with the Shunyata Defender in the same wall receptacle, and sometimes not, as I try to more completely lose hum (the Defender at least has power transient protection for the outlet it is plugged into).  

Now I have a silver slug in the PSaudio P5, and a silver in and the 5 amp 300b/845 amp, protected by the same SDFB as the P5. Then one copper sluggo in my CSP3 which has its own 3 amp SDFB plugged into the same strip receptacle as the amp. I recently changed the DAC from a 6mm polished copper ground wire slug to a silver. The Singxer USB bridge still has a polished ground wire slug.

More experiments to come, burning in another copper, another silver, and a pair each of gold immersions and brass sluggos with my Frybaby.

So with some opening-up CSP3 modifications, a little tube, sluggo, and cable rolling, and my new "piggies," I am close. I am still playing the gains on my ZBIT and CSP3 to get warm/dense balances that are not bass weighted or dense enough to mask or consolidate too much fine detail. May still be a little too warm/full on some recordings, but I feel like I have more-or-less balanced in the extra push from the sluggos compared to fuses in this setup, having the harmonic complexity and speed balances across the spectrum I have come to need... From my tests so far, I can say this sound is getting really good... the solid/resolving potential of this sluggo combination sounding beautifully close to balanced and real to me... and perhaps the remaining added bigness and slightly euphonic warmth is changing my preferences! We'll see.

It is hard to be totally clear on this as I am still playing with "Piggy" iterations, and using new speakers to me, some used Omega Super Alnico High Output Monitors (what a mouthful). With the custom stands that came with them they lean back at nearly the same angle as the front drivers on the HR-1s. Also the seller sent a pair of Audiosmile super tweeters with them (really nice design using two ribbons and adjustable frequency and volumes)... a good thing for me, the speakers without them in this room a little soft and slightly veiled/smeared for me on some less fast/clear recordings. The super tweeters, when placed and tuned right, clarify the bass on up with a really fine complex detail, and the combination with stands and tweeters sounds really close in balances to how I had my HR-1s tuned, but with a nice Omega hemp flavor. I was even able to use the same EQ and sub settings with minor phase changes on the sub. The good, at ±97 dB they are efficient enough for my late night, dark room experiences without the occasional tendency for transient peak distortions I was on the edge of with the HR-1s in this pretty big room. Sounding pretty beautiful and complete, life is changing... The not so good... the drivers carry any hum that is around really well.

I am feeling quite good about my sound now, past issues with sluggos seeming to be all, or mostly resolved. I have not had enough time to listen to loads of different recordings yet so don't want to get too pushed around by the initial excitement like I often do... but it is sounding really good so far, getting glimmers of majesty that very likely indicate new levels to learn from and cultivate. I am happy to be able to use this very cool, paradigm shifting tech.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #314 - 03/20/24 at 10:28:06

I have enough hours on the High Purity Copper Sluggo now to note that in comparison to the Super Sluggo this one adds a touch of warmth and natural sounding detail to the system and will stay in place. Both are very good, the Copper just fits the system a bit better.

Having accustomed myself and tuned a bit for the Sluggos, I've done some judicious tube-rolling and analysis and found a new fascinating presentation by removing the 12AU7 and 6922 Cryotone type tubes from the SEWE300 and ZROCK2 and using Amperex Holland 6085 in the 12AU7 spots and a pair of RCA 6SN7 with adaptors in the driver spot for thd Cryotone 300BWC tubes. Wow. Just the right bass, an attractive but not obstructive smoothness, a discipliined dynamics and just the right level of "behind the speakers" sound staging. Really enjoying this!

I put the Cryotone tubes (all but one) into the ZROCK2 in my headphone system and in the ZROCK2 in my audio/visual system, and one of the 6922 in the input of the Anniversary Modded SE84UFO2 "clone" amp. As the CSP3 there was already outfitted with Cryotone tubes, that system is all Cryotone now with the exception of Sophia Electric rectifiers.

Great sound in three systems. My life is full of audio luxury.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #315 - 03/21/24 at 02:30:09

I can also report that the Sluggos are directional. I switched the direction of my Sluggos on both my DAC and amp and the change was not subtle.

In my system, the density of the soundstage increased substantially, the bass sounded like it was supercharged. The highs were sweeter and extended and the midrange rich and full. At first I was not sure whether my system now sounded too rich or whether the substantial bass was masking anything above. So far, the bass sounds balanced and rock steady. The tonality is also closer to real life than I've ever achieved before.

I am now in the "all my recordings sound new" phase. This is a wonderful time to listen to music.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #316 - 03/21/24 at 16:23:27

Another satisfied SDFB user here. I placed my initial order for boxes with slightly wrong values. When I contacted Mark to address the issue, he insisted on calling me to sort things out over the phone and immediately offered to go above and beyond to make sure I was 100% equipped to protect all of my equipment with the lowest-possible financial outlay.

We spoke again on the phone yesterday, essentially just to make sure I was happy with the situation. He's also just damn pleasant to chat with on the phone, as others have mentioned.

On a related note, I picked up a CSP3 from a fellow forumite recently. After a trip back to Decware for the warranty once-over, it arrived two days ago. Of course, it sounded fantastic into my ZMA right out of the box, but I quickly realized I'd forgotten to replace the audiophile fuse sent along with the unit with a Sluggo. Once I swapped out the fuse for the Sluggo, the difference was immediate and definitely an improvement, especially in the low end. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time A/B-ing the fuse swap, but I also didn't feel the need. The Sluggo is an obvious improvement.

Along the way, Mark gently convinced me to preorder a SnubWay. My system is already pretty darn quiet due to running two (yes, two) Coherence Systems Sorcer X4 units, but I'm always game to try out a new product from a builder I trust, and the preorder price of $235 is a pretty low bar to any purchase in this hobby.

I'll likely upgrade to the Super Duper Sluggos (can't remember what they're actually named at the moment) at some point but really no need at the moment. Everything sounds great! Thanks, Mark!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #317 - 03/22/24 at 03:49:29

Just ordered my third SDFB.  

Agreed, Mark is such a GEM to deal with!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #318 - 03/24/24 at 18:53:55

Good Afternoon

I have been extra busy in these days with the SnubWay launch and Pre Orders, but I knew I had some messages to acknowledge, so apologies for my tardy replies here

@will

just joyous speaking with you. You sir - are In Tune (my best description). Love where you went and how you got "there". Keeping pushing the outer edges and enjoy as you are.

@bloodlemons

really glad for you. My pleasure to be a part of your system success. Always here to help.

The Super Duper Sluggos (5 x 20mm) are now completely sold out AGAIN, but back this coming week I'm told. 6 x 32 are in stock.

These are Tellurium Copper with Rhodium Plating - I personally like them a lot.

Just to short-circuit the rumour mill - more Sluggos are in the works with Graphene as part of the "kit". Very hard to work with in a Production environment.

@Lon

Thanks as always Lon. You are a gentleman and I appreciate that so much

@Kamran

YOU Sir - guide me... thank you always.

More to come soon enough -

Best to all

Mark

PS - please take a moment and visit our new and updated site www.verafiaudio.com

PPS - new 11 to 32 amp Fuse Box in two weeks  :)

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #319 - 03/26/24 at 01:22:03

Received five Tellurium Copper with Rhodium Plating Super Duper Sluggos today in the mail. Very quick shipping from Mark/Vera-Fi.

I've only swapped them into three of the five components for which they are intended: ZMA, ZP3 and CSP3. The other two are for the two Sorcer X4+ units and I have to move a bunch of stuff around to get to them, so I'm waiting until a couple of other things arrive to avoid having to move the whole lot several times.

Anyway, the Super Duper Sluggos are yet another step up! I'm not sure what they're "supposed" to sound like as opposed to the copper/gold Super Sluggos I had in prior, but my immediate impression is a smoothness in the midrange yet more perceived detail in the high end, without added harshness. My comparison spin was an old, second-hand, VG+ Don Gibson album. Although I had no problem with how the record sounded with the Super Sluggos, the Super Duper Sluggos give the impression of a newer pressing in better shape. Not bad!

I should also mention that the Super Duper Sluggos are milled to resemble the shape of a traditional fuse, whereas the older ones are simply polished cylinders. I don't know why, but my immediate reaction to seeing the new, milled Sluggos was essentially "how cute!" Yet another sign that I am not fully in control of my mind. Classy new packaging, too!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #320 - 03/26/24 at 02:22:03

Fascinating—thx for sharing!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #321 - 03/27/24 at 22:26:00

Holy carp! I received the HPC Sluggo’s this week to replace the Super Sluggo’s. Absolutely loving these. First day was rough. I did not feel they were better. Probably worse. Today, just unbelievable. I was listening to a What’s Playing Now recommendation from Lon and could not believe the sound. Figured it had to be the recording. Replaced that with my own favorites list and still amazed. The icing? Echoes by Rodrigo y Gabriela. One of my favorite songs and I have seen them a dozen times. The song took on a whole new dimension. Thank you Mark. Love your passion and support.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #322 - 03/28/24 at 10:40:30

This is just the beginning Lon--in the next weeks this Sluggo will become even more seductive, deepening and smoothing (in the best way).

One of these days I'll put the Super Sluggo back in and compare, but so far this High Purity Copper one is the one to beat. Quite a performer!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #323 - 03/28/24 at 19:14:00

I have owned a Swiss Fuse Box for several months and have enjoyed a significant improvement in SQ.  It came with the Gold Plated Copper Super Sluggo which sounds excellent.  I additionaaly made my own solid copper and solid silver sluggs to compare.  In my system I prefer the silver, then super sluggo then the copper.  All sound great but the silver just gives a more detailed, clear and fuller sound on my system with a Torii Jr V2. Yet another variable…sorry. Sound feel the silver is too much but it works for me the best. The Rhodium slug looks great just more than I want spend.  Enjoy the journey,

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #324 - 03/28/24 at 20:45:35

So much of this is system and taste dependent! I think the Super Sluggo sounds great, but the High Purity Copper (maybe it's the high purity!) just has less of a "HiFI" sound and texture to me, and gives the right amount of warmth and detail that my system was waiting for.

I bet a Silver is great sounding, my cabling has silver and I like the "sound"--I'm looking forward to what Mark will offer with Graphene, as that is a feature of the fuses I've enjoyed most pre-SDFB.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #325 - 03/31/24 at 20:53:41

I'm not sure how much one can know which Sluggos they ultimately prefer without taking into account the various potential power cable combinations as well. My cables, power conditioners, and outlets are all behind my console, so it is a real project to swap things out willy-nilly. Admittedly, it's a very, very first-world problem. I am not a wealthy man, but I acknowledge and appreciate the fact that I am blessed with a lifestyle that allows me to fret over the ways various lengths of precious metal might bring out just a hair more reverb trail on a 70-year old recording.  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #326 - 03/31/24 at 23:24:13

In my case I am using the same power cable before and after the SDFB and that is the same power cable I am using for every component in my system. The only variable was the Sluggo itself, and it is easy for me to access the fuse holder in that component (PS Audio P15 regenerator). So it is a fair and easy comparison between two Sluggos. And I could immediately hear a difference, and the characteristics of that difference made it easy for me to prefer the one to the other.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #327 - 03/31/24 at 23:28:56

That would certainly simplify things!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #328 - 04/01/24 at 00:12:25

If the system and room is relatively resolving and balanced, and as long as your "Piggie" and cable after the SDFB are resolving and balanced, the individual sluggos, as well and the direction of each can be pretty obvious... Each presents real choices for sure for me.

I am using some piggies that are a little clearer, faster, and more complex sounding, and the cables after the SDFBs I have chosen for how they "bring out" the individual component. Right now I prefer copper sluggos in the 300B/845 Amp and in the CSP3; silver in the PSAudio P5 and my DAC; and a homemade copper in my USB Bridge. Though they sound good to me, I still can't quite get the gold super sluggos in this room... interesting slightly euphonic feeling, but a little slow and colored for me so far....  

If you have not tried it, after listening for a while, just flip the direction of a sluggo and see what you hear.

Cool

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #329 - 04/01/24 at 00:50:33

I definitely haven't had time to start investigating Sluggo directionality, but it's on my list.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #330 - 04/01/24 at 06:34:16

So, after reading Will's suggestion to flip the Sluggo direction, I gave it a try.  I was skeptical as the sound was great already.  Once flipped,  I powered up,  and to my amazement, the sound was better. It was not subtle,  as soon as I heard it I knew it was better.

Thanks Will for the suggestion.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #331 - 04/01/24 at 15:51:27

@bloodlemons

My new favorite line

Yet another sign that I am not fully in control of my mind.

That's it

Very happy to read and "hear" @will's observations as well as many of you. One day - I need to re-listen to several iterations I have at the house.

So happy that we are pleasing all of you...

@bloodlemons - will check in with you to update your "new" order status

Thanks again to all of you...

Best - Mark

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #332 - 04/02/24 at 04:20:28

The addition of my third SDFB has been transformational.  

Bigger-Bolder-Badass

This has to hold for now (after the first 5 hrs of break-in).

Mark, sorry for messaging you so late—I just couldn’t resist.  You rock!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #333 - 04/02/24 at 09:52:10

I'm trying to be happy with just one. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #334 - 04/10/24 at 09:39:55

I discovered I have another .5 meter power cable matching the cable going to the SEWE300B. . . so I ordered a second SDFB for the SEWE300B. Sigh. I'm sure it will be an improvement.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 04/10/24 at 15:01:16

Don’t you just love those discoveries! Rest assured, it will be an improvement.

I still can’t get over how the third SDFB has had such a profound impact on the rig.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #336 - 04/10/24 at 15:05:45

Where do you have your three Kam?

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #337 - 04/10/24 at 15:13:51

I have three as well, one on each of the ZMA, CSP3 and ZP3, which are all running the Super Duper Sluggos. I also installed a Furutech wall outlet last weekend. Everything is sounding really, really nice. Very deep and "round," if that makes sense.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #338 - 04/10/24 at 15:42:44

I have a Furutech wall outlet as well, from Take Five Audio and cryo'd via their process, quite a good outlet.

Thanks for letting me know. My system has five accessible fused components. . . I'll probably stop at two, regenerator and amp--they are the high current pieces.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #339 - 04/10/24 at 16:16:53

Not that it's particularly important, but I wanted to add that my recent endeavors in optimizing the power signal path arose from swapping a DHC1 in for the generic power cord that came with my ZSTAGE. I was impressed with the immediate improvement in performance, most notably that the gain setting I'd been using suddenly required about half as much of a turn on the knob as it had before, as well as a lower noise floor overall.

I'd been using Decware power cords on the ZMA and ZP3 from the beginning, so I'd never compared performance of different cords in that respect. Adding that cord to the ZSTAGE was the first moment I started seriously contemplating the overall power supply line as capable of significant improvement. I started researching audiophile fuses and came across the SDFB through this thread. What an enormous improvement, for quite a bit less than some of the fuses I was researching.

The Furutech outlet was somewhat outrageously expensive (I opted to go with the wall plate and carbon-fiber outlet cover as well), but I'll be damned if that didn't produce a significant improvement as well. Although I'd like to pick up a couple more DHC3 cords to match the one I now have on the ZMA, I'm feeling pretty confident in my power chain at this point.

I think the only thing I could really do now to augment the situation would be to run a dedicated line from the fuse box in my house directly to the hi-fi outlet (and maybe add another outlet), but that's outside of scope of my abilities and I'm not in a serious hurry to hire an electrician for that type of project any time soon.

It just occurred to me that I could replace the circuit breaker with something of audiophile quality. Also not sure that's something I want to mess with on my own, but that might be the next logical step.

Sorry for rambling. I have exactly one friend in real life (well, maybe two, if you count the owner of my local audiophile shop) who cares about any of this stuff. Most of my friends appreciate the resulting sound quality, but would think I was actually insane for the amount of time and money I spend on things they have never heard of and wouldn't understand. The Sorcer X4 alone sounds like absolute voodoo to anyone who's never even considered upgrading the stylus on their turntable (if they even own one, lol).

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #340 - 04/10/24 at 16:28:02

Lon, the first two went to amp and DAC. The third one was for my streamer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #341 - 04/10/24 at 16:29:24

I understand the rambling and I doubt if it bothers anyone here. I too have very few persons in real life to share audio quality with, I do have one who is sort of a grasshopper to my master but lives 1500 miles away (when for decades he lived within ten miles).

I'll never stop futzing with power supply stuff . . . it's the heartbeat.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #342 - 04/10/24 at 19:11:21

This is just a teaser.

I received a call from Mark last week. He asked if I was interested in trying the new graphene coated Sluggo. I honestly was a little disappointed he even needed to ask! lol :p

I received the graphene coated sluggo Saturday afternoon, the Sluggo is a flat black. It’s too bad that once installed it’s not visible. I installed one in the TRP and one in the Transcend, replacing solid copper Sluggos. I had less than an hour before I needed to leave the house. My first impression. More detail without being harsh! A significantly more detail. It also seems quieter.

Sunday came and I was looking forward to more music. Detail from top to bottom has increased. I also noticed that there was a change, focus seemed to be pushed higher in the frequency range. I also had a slight bit of anxiety that the system might be fatiguing. Fortunately this never happened.

I left town and went to see the total solar eclipse in KY. I got to listen a little more that evening. It wasn’t until the next morning that I really got to listen again. Now I was over 10 hours on the Sluggos. The slight anxiety I had about possibly being fatiguing is gone. The bass has been filling back in too.

Mark said 40+ hours minimum burnin so I still have a few more days before I reach that marker.

Once I have more time on them I’ll give a more complete report.

Lon, well said, power is the heartbeat of the system!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #343 - 04/10/24 at 19:15:59

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #344 - 04/10/24 at 20:19:25

I've been curious about the graphene. Nice to hear a little real-world info on them.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #345 - 04/10/24 at 21:25:46

Hi All,

The Graphene is new (I mean really new)... 2 years involved in this Vacuum Depositing System and a very real 5 digit number invested

Sadly - NOT Low Cost

These are made with ultra high purity copper and Vacuum Deposited Graphene

Why Graphene Mark - because it's over 4 times the conductivity of HP Copper

Sonically - it's really quite good. Well described by GS - More Details for sure, while NOT edgy at all. In fact, it draws you in with new levels of "information".

My system seemed quieter as well... Better Dynamics in both areas.

Percussion was revelatory.

2 years and some big money... but here we are

More details to follow

Thanks GS and Kamran for your help

Best - Mark

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #346 - 04/11/24 at 17:57:57

Hi Mark. I hope all is well.

I have reached the point of burn-in with my copper sluggos where the sound is somewhat steady. However, the highs in my system presently are still brighter than I would prefer. I would first like to explore other types of sluggos. I look forward to hearing what you will have available.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #347 - 04/11/24 at 18:34:45

Kamran wrote on 04/10/24 at 16:28:02:
Lon, the first two went to amp and DAC. The third one was for my streamer.

Thanks Kam. No streamer here, so maybe I can keep mine down to 2. Smiley Regenerator and SEWE300B makes most sense to me in my system.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #348 - 04/11/24 at 19:20:18

@ArtMan

I would certainly try High Purity Brass - as well as Super Sluggo

Please drop me an e-mail and I can arrange this

verafiaudio@gmail.com

Thanks

Mark

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #349 - 04/13/24 at 16:31:42

My second SDFB was delivered this morning. . . albeit not to my address. I tracked it down to a neighbor's deck in part due to the photo the driver provided, it looked like one on a house a street over I recognized.

I'm waiting to install it til the mail comes with the Sluggo. I do have a Super Sluggo I could use, but gettin to the fuse holder in the SEWE300B in the Samson Version 3 is not easy and I don't want to do that twice!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print