Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 12:06:44 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 43494 times)
HiFi Bri

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #250 - 02/08/24 at 00:31:56

After a very nice conversation with Mark from Vera-Fi, I went ahead and placed my order for the SDFB today.

I've yet to experiment with upgrading fuses in my Decware gear, but became curious about trying a fancy fuse before stumbling upon several glowing reviews of the SDFB.

I'll be happy to post my impressions here when I receive the unit and get some listening hours in!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
jeenam
Verified Member

Reply #251 - 02/11/24 at 06:20:58

I purchased a pair of SDFB's in January and this is the text of my latest email to Mark reporting my experience. You can also read my initial thoughts on the Audiogon thread. Same username.

I've had the speaker amps powered on for 10 days straight now. The best description I can give would be the SDFB's modify the sound akin to a sampling rate upgrade from 44.1 to say 96kHz. Everything is cleaner and more detailed. Soundstage is wider, deeper and taller. Cymbals sound more like cymbals. Imaging is sharper and sounds project forward into the soundstage like never before. If the soundstage is not flat in the recording, it comes through now. Decay is more apparent due to the lower noise floor. The sound is now finally coherent. When I first listened with the SDFB's plugged in it did not have the coherency top to bottom as after 10 days of burn-in. I'm pretty sure the Paradigm Active 40v2 speakers are maxed out performance-wise with these. With my Job 225 amp & Ascend Sierra Towers w/ RAAL tweeters I can probably discern more of an in improvement in bass frequencies, but I suspect the 40v2's have reached their potential. If anything, they now sound closer to what I would expect from good quality mid/near-field studio monitors (e.g. ATC, PMC, K&H) in regards to detail retrieval. The 40v2's are never going to compete with the transient response of RAAL tweeters or my Rythmik F12 subwoofer which has servo technology to reduce distortion.

Once I get my other 2 channel system out of storage I will order an SDFB for the Job 225 amp and compare. However, the amp + speakers + sub for that setup cost me $5,000 versus the $1300 paid for the 40v2's so it's not really a fair comparison.

IP Logged
jeenam
Verified Member

Reply #252 - 02/21/24 at 05:09:57

Latest email that I sent to Mark regarding my experience:

I recently decided to have a listen to one of my favorite acoustic playlists and in all honesty, the Active 40v2's sound better than I can ever recall the Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL + Job 225 combo. I'm definitely looking forward to pairing the Job 225 with a SDFB to compare. Based on the results that I've heard so far with the Paradigm's, my money is on the SDFB taking things to the next level. As you are well aware, the SDFB's are the real deal. I'm sold, literally.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #253 - 02/25/24 at 21:29:48

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 02/26/24 at 00:05:27

What a wonderful review and so well-deserved! Congratulations to Mark and his team!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #255 - 02/29/24 at 20:51:22

Since I sold an amp, and my taxes are paid, I purchased an SDFB for my P15. Mark says they are really busy after the review, a good thing, so I'll be patient. Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #256 - 03/06/24 at 16:22:06

My SDFB and Sluggo (in separate shipments) have shipped out today. Won't be long now I can see what they will do.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #257 - 03/06/24 at 22:30:55

I've had my SDFB in place for a few weeks now and can report that it is a welcome addition to my chain.

To my ears, I've experienced increased clarity, expanded soundstage, and possibly deeper and more musical mid-bass.

Unfortunately (or not), I installed the unit in the midst of burning in new ZSTYX speaker cables, and as many of you know well, it's difficult to differentiate which components are responsible for sonic changes when you have multiple new components in the chain.

Also, as excited as I am to explore the possibilities of incremental upgrades, I find myself frustratingly uninterested in A/B testing once I feel I've made an improvement, meaning I have little desire to re-install the stock fuse into my UFO amp and perform some critical listening. As soon as I installed the SDFB, I did experience an upgrade in sound, which went on to improve in the coming days and weeks, as Mark said it would.

Maybe I will go back eventually and listen to my rig without the SDFB. For now, I'm happy with my purchase!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #258 - 03/07/24 at 05:21:48

Hello HiFi Bri,
Nice review of your SDFB. I have one installed with my amp and another with my Cambridge CXNV2, and I thought you described their contribution to your system very well and I'm in complete agreement.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #259 - 03/08/24 at 01:10:00

I wanted to finish my impressions of the SDFB now that burn-in is mostly complete. Most of the extra brightness I was hearing before is gone and what still remained is not irritating at all. There was one thing that sill puzzled me. On a number of large orchestral works, when there was a large dynamic swing, I was hearing something like the air in a large hall, only it had a different sound than air in a hall. There was still some excess high frequency energy that colored the overall tone, yet generally sweet and tuneful. Out of curiosity about this phenomenon and the general frequency of this tone, I decided to buy a  Vera-Fi Puron. I suspected it would be a likely candidate to tame these frequencies. The differences I heard when first installed were easily noticed but it took a couple days to really shine. The SDFB/Puron combination is an excellent pairing. The Puron enhances the strengths of the SDFB.

This strange sounding air now began to actually sound like the air in a large hall. The see through quality of the soundstage improved. In the process of upgrading my system over the last few years, one sure area of improvement usually involved a larger, sometimes huge soundstages, even if not always well defined. Now what I hear with orchestral works are the sounds of various instruments playing within a large hall. The boundaries of the space is immediately clear with the first note played. This is a real qualitative difference in sound.

The moral of the story is, if you have an excellent system using fuses for protection and are curious to explore if there is a reasonably priced way to take your system to another level, the SDFB shows the real limitations that fuses have on the sound. If you don't have any power conditioning prior to your system, the Puron lowers the noise floor, allowing more low level detail to be heard. In my system, the combination of the two has me seriously considering end game.

*** I originally was going to make this a comparison between the SDFB and the Synergistic Research Master fuse. I put about 150 hours on the Master fuse, and at that point in burn-in, had some of the qualities of the SDFB but it still had a brightness that I had trouble listening through. I no longer have any motivation to see if the fuse becomes more listenable with more burn-in. The SDFB sounded superior at installation and with enough burn-in, quite superior. I am happy just listening to music rather than spend any additional energy on the comparison.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #260 - 03/08/24 at 03:24:19

Great follow-up ArtMan.  I’m looking forward to pairing my SDFB’s with the Snubway that should be coming out soon.

Lon, looking forward to your impressions!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #261 - 03/08/24 at 11:41:52

I should know soon. It will be replacing my favorite fuse, the Audio Magic M-1 in my P15 regenerator. That fuse in that component seemed to deliver what everyone here talks about the SDFB delivering. Additionally I have a handful of Shunyata Research "Defenders" in the system which give my system what persons here describe as the results of the Puron, so I've quite an amazing level of sound for the SDFB to live up to (and I am going to be using the same high quality power cable I have been using for both sides of the SDFB which will be a leveling playing field in that aspect, I did not order a "Pigtail.")

Both SDFV and Sluggo (shipped separately) should arrive tomorrow. I'll get them installed by the end of the weekend.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #262 - 03/08/24 at 14:33:23

Artman, Great follow up! I've also found the Purons to bring value, I have 3. I'm super curious about the Snubway that's about to start shipping.

I'm going to add a SDFB and Sluggo to my new Lampi TRP and amp soon.

Lon, I'm looking forward to your experience with the SDFB setup. Did you talk to Mark and decide on the P15 being the one to go for?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #263 - 03/08/24 at 14:38:10

I've emailed Mark but that was my own choice. For one, it influences everything in my system. For another, it had what I consider the best fuse in it (my system has this fuse and Purple fuses within it) and so would offer the best challenge. And thirdly, it was the one that would be easiest to install and support the SDFB to.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #264 - 03/08/24 at 17:03:49

There is one additional thing I am curious about. Has anyone tried a silver sluggo with their SDFB and if so, how does it compare to the copper one?

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #265 - 03/08/24 at 23:15:35

I’ve been using silver sluggos for a little over a month now. I posted my initial impressions, towards the bottom of page 5, which remain the same. I’m not sure if Mark is carrying them yet, but I also gave a link there to where I got mine, if not. They were less than $40 shipped for a pair. Lately I’ve been using a 12au7 with adapter in the amps input and it gives a more open and detailed sound. I may try putting the gold plated copper back in to see how it plays with this tube swap.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #266 - 03/09/24 at 20:48:51

Well I am having an experience not quite like Steve's. The Sluggo arrived with the instruction manual, and then an hour later the SDFB arrived. I turned off the P15 and then turned it back on and listened to about ten minutes of the last disc I had played. (The whole system always sounds different when you turn off the P15 for about an hour, so I wanted to establish a base line in my listening to the disc pre-SDFB). Then I turned the P15 off and installed the Sluggo and the SDFB (and the additional .5 meter PS Audio AC-12 power cable to match the one used before the SDFB and now between the P15 and SDFB.)

And the sound certainly is different, an hour in. The bass may be a bit "deeper" but it's fuller, a bit looser. And there IS a brightness I was fearing I would hear, but it's a fuzzier, not etched brightness.

I think I am going to like this more tomorrow. It definitely needs to settle in. The overall presentation is a little bigger as far as soundstage, a little bolder as far as imaging, and overall it's giving an impression that reminds me of when the teacher (referred to as the "Master") left the classroom when I was in Form One at boarding school in Swaziland and all the students started talking to each other and shifting about. . . that's how different it seems to me, the Audio Magic M-1 presents a more focused, disciplined overall sound, at least at this stage. And I am certainly accustomed to that presentation.  I want to also add that I have a number of Shunyata Research Defenders in the system which did indeed lower the noise floor as well and brought out positive improvement in use with the Audio Magic M-1 fuse. These are still in place now that the SDFB is in operation.

If I don't get a chance to listen later, then the SDFB will have about 15 hours or so of use on it in the morning when I get to listen seriously.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #267 - 03/09/24 at 21:32:19

I think these take a fare bit of time Lon, even with burned in cables, which makes some sense when you consider that thick slug of metal.

Here is my first real evaluation after quite a few weeks of heavy play and experiementing.

My power path right now, all parts are upgraded with receptacles, filter caps, wires, etc…. Between wall and a 5 amp Fusebox, is a “piggy” I made using multiple gauges of mil-spec silver plated copper/teflon, combined coming up to 12 gauge, with Rhodium Plated UPOCC Neotech ends. It is faster and more open/resolving than stock piggys to compensate for what I found to be excess bigger power sound consequences from changing to the SDFBs. My most transparent/musical cable, similar in design to the new piggys, connects the fusebox to a 500 watt Balanced Transformer with its silver slug. Finally, Rhodium cable ends, and a silver slug into the Balanced Transformer make the beginning of my power a little warm, but nicely resolving with fast clarity and dynamic hit.

Powered by the transformer is a heavy duty, very resolving aluminum power strip/filter with a Furutech plug filter and a Shunyata Defender. My DAC and Singxer USB Bridge are into a Brickwall, which is plugged into the strip. Both front end pieces have polished ground wire copper slugs and no Fusebox (not having had fuses blow in SS front ends, I “risked” no fuse for years, but the Brickwall does have protection); the 300B/845 amp and CSP3 are also powered by the strip. Their main power cords are both versions of Neotech’s ready made 11 gauge blend of UPOCC copper and silver plated copper cables, the amp with Rhodium UPOCC ends, and the CSP3 with Gold plated UPOCC ends. These are some of my more fast and neutral/transparent cables.

The 5 amp Fusebox between wall and Transformer acts to degrees as a system safety, while allowing me to put a silver slug into the 5 amp 300B/845 amp, past the transformer, but using the one fusebox. Not yet fully modified, I like using a clearer faster silver slug now in the amp, the greater speed and clarity of the Rhodium ends and the relatively expressive silver sluggos livening up the amp nicely. Once finished it may be nicer with a mellower Verifi copper sluggo, the coppers a little warm with a pretty clean openness that has a sweet copper sheen and nice complexity.

The CSP3 has its own 3 amp Fusebox fed with the same specially made piggy design, but with UPOCC gold plated copper Neotech ends. The fully modified CSP3, already open and fast, sounds really good with the gold plated piggy ends and Verifi copper sluggo. The warmish sweetness from those together gives and pretty fast and revealing sound with a really nice subtly euphonic touch that does not offset  the spectral balances or slow it down notably.

The silver slugs from Golden State Liquid Blue linked, like my home-made copper slugs, are more like 6 mm. Comparing the thicker coppers to Verifi’s 5mm copper sluggo, it could be in part the copper quality differences, but the thicker home-made copper slug sounds bigger, fuller, darker. Based on past experiments with wire/cable size increases doing similar, I think it is probably more the larger gauge/size than metal differences. The oversized silver slugs are similarly big/full sounding, but they are clear and fast enough to be relatively balanced, not sounding too heavy/thick to me, where the big coppers did go over the top in those ways here…

So I now have 5 “sluggos,” two heavier coppers made of polished ground wire into the front end pieces, 2 heavier silvers, one in the Balanced Transformer and one in the Amp, and a Verifi copper in the CSP3. This took a while to get to, the story below.

Compared to a fuse, the way the Sluggos change the sound makes sense. Seems mostly about the comparatively giant conductor letting power through more quickly and fully, and this alters the energy and sound characters of everything beyond. The increased feed sounds like it is loading the power supply faster and more completely, as well as all the parts and tubes beyond…. which could be “good” or “bad” depending on system/room variables.

With my components already really carefully balanced while using good sounding fuses, the piggys/sluggos had some good solid qualities, but were too much, shifting careful balances toward darker/denser/more consolidated and forceful. And as is usual with more power feed, whether from bigger cables of the same design, bigger power supply caps of the same kind, bigger wires, sluggos, etc, in my experience, after a point, the extra push results in consolidation of finer information and balancing toward bass spectrally, moving the whole toward bigger, thicker, denser, and darker balances with less apparent finer detail and space.  

Really, if the components sound great  in all musical areas using fuses, why wouldn’t an amped up power feed change that… especially in simple/resolving/alive tube gear where everything can be so easily heard. Everything designed and tuned to sound good with fuses, whether we prefer the changes or not in a given setup, they will happen with this gear.

Yet I seem to be a wildcard by reports, the SDFBs working fine once I got the copper sluggos, but not an ultimate sound for my needs. For me the effects of better power delivery went too far, thickening, darkening, slowing, consolidating, especially noticeably, the lower frequencies, while making the mids a little too “warm,” and mids up tending a little hard for me.

I am convinced now that my unusual response to the SDFB pointed to how much it depends on where we start. The spectral balances here were really good… bass full but fast and impactful and strong enough in the balance to warm the mids a little, but without masking… making the mids sweet with complexity and speed…..and highs were open, complex and smooth... not overly consolidated, without hardness. Density and speeds in various parts of the spectrum sounded right, balancing together convincingly and strong enough to be exciting without being too forceful, while being able to be subtle while still being fast and dense.

Evaluating when first testing with stock Piggys, the gold sluggos at that point were over the top in weighing toward density and bass, so much so the bottom felt a little disparate from the top on many recordings…Also, Verifi’s piggys sounded good to me, pretty fast and revealing, but they too tuned the sound a little heavier, weighing it toward density and bass in my setup.

Also, I have come to a place of avoiding strong compensations, trying for relatively reference sound with changes. This makes it easier for me to read the system, new adjustments, or new things more clearly. To me, strong compensations can sound good, but compounded over time, they make it hard to know what is what, and can throw off the ultimate balances without being obvious until it is. And the SDFB is a really good idea, presumably protecting things for a very long time with conceptually better power delivery. So I am shifting my approach in this case, thinking it was worth some effort to adjust things, including some carefully approached fundamental component changes, to try to retune to the sluggos….

When I got some Coppers sluggos from Mark, still using stock piggys, they made a pretty big difference...warm, but more open and neutral in this setting than the golds, and I started to see more where the Sluggos could take this sound. So I kept playing with milder tube changes, cable rolling, and finally some modifications I had been thinking about anyway to open things up. It got pretty nice. By relaxing the new power push and in turn opening up density/consolidation, it became less dark, faster, and more complex. The Verifi coppers were faster, more resolving and neutral, with more complex harmonic information. But still the combo of stock piggys and copper sluggos was quite nice, but too strong and colored for me.

Finally, still with stock piggys then, with other adjustments, I got to a place where I liked the copper SDFBs quite a bit. To verify, I decided to test with fuses. Thinking I was done, I was surprised to be relieved to have the system open up with more speed, space and harmonic complexity by switching back to the fuses. A more open soundstage, everything becoming more complex and less dense, but plenty dense and dynamic still in this system/room. I realized the SDFBs  were still a little too consolidated and forceful….not on everything, but I depend on balances that will make most of the recordings I listen to sound pretty real with the help of some gain tuning.

Then I got some silver slugs, and right off they were big sounding, but faster, more resolving, and feeling more balanced toward neutral ... I think mainly because they are more resolving, they are faster and more defined in sound and space, and being nearly 5-N silver, relatively smooth and warmish. With them I kept working on it… getting some compelling qualities, but the very open fine detail and space was still being consolidated a little too much into density for my tastes, and the density leaking into space, I missed the dynamic, but more relaxed sound balances I have come to need. You know, when the time and density is “right” how more space shows up and everything slows down… more space between the sounds, less smear making it all sound more of whatever it is, whether in all the many areas of density and dynamics, or in the subtler decays and textures… complete, exciting and relaxed.

This was when I broke down and made my faster, more resolving and neutral lower gauge piggys, and they really went a long way toward neutrality and balance with the sluggos. With the materials and geometry I used, my 1st test was on the lighter side of 12 gauge according to the wire combination calculator I use, and they were a little too clear/fast. I added some 20 gauge wires to the mixes, and ended up liking it better, still clear and fast, but with a bit more density, body and weight, ending up more on the higher side of 12 gauge, nearly 11. These cables, with the sluggos, by comparison are pretty neutral here, not really sounding like they color the sound in any notable ways. Still, the different ends are audible as choices, but both are neutral enough to make playing with different sluggos nicely revealing of the sluggo’s sound.

Now all sluggos are interesting choices. The Gold’s immersion process, I am guessing from the sound, pronounces the gold qualities, more obviously gold than gold plated cable ends. Compared to the other Sluggos I have tried, they are big sounding and warmer/rounder/softer, a little slow especially on the leading edges, but that is replaced by a sense of a stronger hit right after the leading edge, so can feel exciting. Relative to the others, more notably slowish and warmish, detail is softened, but still relatively resolved. To me, in this warmish system as it is now, they give an overstated warmth, but do that nicely... They are the most euphonic sounding here, for me a little too round and slow, but also pleasantly “trippy,” and in the right company, especially in a brighter/cleaner room, I can see how they could be loved.

The Slivers and coppers are both pretty right sounding to me in their own ways, the coppers probably the most easily integrated here, with a milder push, a slightly warm neutrality, and with good detail, speed and complexity… slightly euphonic, they have a subtle sweet copper thing going on along with really good complexity. The silvers from Golden State are the fastest, most neutral and resolving, bigger sounding similarly to the Golds, and a bit less obviously textured than the coppers. But I think they offer more musical information, faster with greater resolution…for me, the closet to “right” with the stock piggys especially….

With my pigglies they all work pretty well, but different flavors. I have been working a long time on making things very revealing, but smooth, a balance that is pretty tricky for me. Still, I think the sluggos all improved smoothness some, but it is tricky to read, because added density can make things more consolidated, and to a point, can give the impression of smoothness as it consolidates finer detail and complexity, a no-no for me.

My sound now is about as good as I have heard, but I have been working on a lot of things over months, the SDFBs one of those. So I am happy. But I thought similarly the last time I thought the sluggos were really getting good, and switching back to nice fuses made me go back to work on integrating the sluggos more holistically… the fuses overall still better then for me. But today I am too tired to do an evaluation with fuses, and having done quite a few synergistic changes again to get here, I suspect I am in with the SDFBs this time… I am getting ready to try some new speakers, so maybe after they settle in, with a new sound, that fuse/sluggo evaluation might be pretty interesting.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #268 - 03/09/24 at 21:59:23

Well I can't and won't go into the detailed tuning that you have with cords etc. I agree it is going to take some time for these to "break in" or settle, but I do find that this sort of metal part reveals a good portion of its final characteristic in the first twenty hours or so and then settles and refines further.

I wanted to have the Copper which I thought would be best for me, but have the Super Sluggo. I'll try to get other Sluggos in time.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #269 - 03/09/24 at 22:26:59

Hey Lon... I am finding things on the change side of refinement with I would guess 200 hours on my newest sluggos... my sense anyway. If it comes to specific cable needs for your setup, which it may not in your room and with your tastes, I can probably help. I am also hoping Mark will come up with another cable tuning option or two.

What is a Super Sluggo...

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #270 - 03/09/24 at 22:51:27

I like my cabling and the consistency of it throughout and have tailored around the power cords and interconnects for over a decade. I'm good, just may "roll" Sluggos in the future. . . or not. I'm in it for the long haul if it takes more than 200 hours, I can see that the SDFB offers  differences that are helpful and I can still tune with fuses in other components.

From their page:

Super Sluggo is high purity copper in Gold immersion Adds $33.00

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #271 - 03/09/24 at 23:03:53

Oh.... the Super Sluggo is my least favorite of those I tried, the one I call gold. My setting and tastes for sure, but if that had been my only choice, with the stock Piggy, I imagine I would have sent them back. My setup doing the good things they did more completely, they were too much here. But again, my system.

I have never loved the PS Audio AC12 I have, though it does do the mongo cable gauge thing well, notably better than the few others I have tried. Every time I try it, it sounds quite good in most ways, but somehow it always ends up sounding more made than born to me. But I have never tried the loom thing, and can imagine how it could be pretty magical to have a consistency across the system. So far though, I love being able to cable roll with a variety of really good sounds that are different, like with tubes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #272 - 03/09/24 at 23:46:16

Well, I think it's all room and taste dependent. I find that in my current situation the AC-12 and the VooDoo Stadivarius looms are a stabilizing influence. . . and I've even found that consolidating tube choices among make has been really helpful in tailoring the sound.

I think I'll try to get a copper Sluggo for my next "roll." That may be the ticket. Though already this Super Sluggo (I just stole in about fifteen minutes of listening) is becoming less unruly. And I also have to consider that my system is recovering from being completely turned off several times--it usually takes five to fifteen hours to "be all it can be" again after the regenerator is shut off.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #273 - 03/10/24 at 00:35:20

Yes, so many things influencing so many things, but I can get the feeling of looms. And luckily there are characteristic qualities to the sound of things so we can learn to extrapolate how something might fit our own goals from the impressions of others we understand. And who knows, I suspect you may prefer the copper Sluggo, but it may be that the Super Sluggo is just right once burnt in for your system/room needs! It is a lot of fun!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #274 - 03/10/24 at 14:58:22

Lon, hopefully the brightness you are experiencing dissipates with time. I'm using copper sluggos in my components. I think I was sent some of the super sluggo prototypes, now sure. I had a baggie labeled A and one B both looked the same. I preferred the coppers.

I made a rig to season the sluggos with the Haggerman Fry Corder. So the burnin others have gone through I didn't notice much change over time.

I put in a copper Sluggo into the Lampizator TRP yesterday. I'm over 300 hours now on the DAC so I figured it was okay to mess with it. The biggest change was an expansion of the sound stage. Everything became more expansive.

Counter to Lon's experience, I noticed that a very slight glare I didn't even realize was there went away.

Will, To distill your post. Sounds like you had your system so finely tuned with the fuses adding the Sluggo(s) changed the balance. With more fine tuning you will end up with a net positive with the SDFB?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #275 - 03/10/24 at 15:34:36

Hey GS,
The fuzzy brightness and over large imaging and soundstage have dissipated in the following fifteen hours. In their place I would say that the biggest difference between the SDFB and the M-1 in the P15 is more centerfill (or perhaps best to say less distinct left and right channels) and a bit softer bass and a bit less of a focused instrumental image.

I think more time on this will change those differences. . . and I think in fact that the SDFB and the M-1 character will become even more similar. In my own way I have attacked the power nature of my system seriously over the last few years with my P15, fuses, the Defenders, Mad Scientist products and PerfectPathways products and the noise floor was really low before the SDFB arrived. . . so I can understand why there are not as strongly distinctive differences between the M-1 and SDFB beginning to show.

If the situation that exists today persists I'm happy with the SDFB and it will allow me to put the M-1 into the SEWE300B which right now has an Acme cryo'd fuse inside which is really good. . . but no M-1. That I think will take the presentation up another step, and I'll probably make that change by the end of the week after more days with the SDFB in the P15.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #276 - 03/10/24 at 21:55:41

I am impressed with all the information each one of you contributed.

LiquidBlue, I appreciate the link where you were able to obtain silver sluggos. I will check with them and Mark and get some silver sluggos to try.

Will, You are a fountain of information and much of what you say makes sense. I am still amazed at the complexity of possible interactions that ultimately determine the sound.  Every time that I have made a major upgrade to my system, it requires a certain amount of retuning to get it dialed in.

Lon, I've read enough of your stuff to understand we have very similar tastes in sound. The SDFB/sluggos took well over 100 hours before the brightness became listenable in my system but in time the brightness translated into becoming airy and open. It is easy to relax into the music.

GroovySauce, I appreciate your experience with the sluggos.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #277 - 03/10/24 at 23:26:46

ArtMan, I too am a big fan of Will's knowledge and sharing skills, and have learned so much from him over the years. And I'm about 27 hours into the SDFB now and know I'll be keeping it. The sound is at least as good as any of the fuses I've experienced and I think will edge forward a bit in the good kind of smoothness. And I may not have to try other Sluggos. I do think these are directional if anyone has not tried that--I have tried them both ways and prefer one way over another tonally. A subtle difference that shows up in the frequency extremes.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #278 - 03/11/24 at 01:44:38

I find them directional too Lon, and think you might as well go ahead and get a copper to play with... especially if there is something in your chain after your regenerator with a similar fuse value as the regenerator fuse box...so you could use another sluggo without its own fusebox.

I was thinking about your question Groovysauce, and it got me going again, writing for me a way to learn about what is going on in complex creative process from translating it into linear thought... "Will, To distill your post. Sounds like you had your system so finely tuned with the fuses adding the Sluggo(s) changed the balance. With more fine tuning you will end up with a net positive with the SDFB?"

Yes, I think your distillation is probably true. But I guess the outcome may be of lesser importance than the process of getting there. How that process evolved, and what it revealed, important for discovering the beauty. I think the positive potential of the SDFB, once well integrated in a given system, is pretty clear. But if and how we get the most from something that changes the sound this much, is likely most important toward more ultimate musical experiences.

Learning lots from nuance, and realizing that everything affects everything, though there do seem to be some absolutes in nature, constants of transformation and interactivity seem to be primary. So in an ever changing complex like our systems, and our body/minds, perceptions and discernments, absolute answers tend to be suspect to me.

But there are tendencies that can apply across systems, and exploring learning and using these as paths into the beauty is really compelling. So I enjoy looking deeper and deeper as a means to more completely understand, perceive, and experience the magic of alive feeling music.

Then come the stories, thinking out loud what I think I might be hearing and learning, hoping these stories can be useful to others toward finding refinements and beauty.

For this, I find broad subjective terms like "better" or "worse" are of little use, every system/room its own complex in which the same things fit, sometimes quite similarly, and sometimes differently. So complexes often require complexes of thoughts and words to identify, understand, and utilize what makes something "good," or "bad.

In this case, I found the SDFB setup, the piggy, fusebox, and various sluggos, each having their own effects on sound individually and especially in combination…here, they were a big sound shifter that was “good and bad.” Clearly others have found them to be big sound shifters too, but most found them beneficial on the whole.

In my case though, without successful explorations and experiments, the sound was good in many ways, but the negatives would have over-ruled the positives in the broad picture. The clarifying traits with the powered up signal were too consolidating, densifying, darkening, smoothing, …hardening. The potentially “good stuff” was overstated and forceful enough to degrade the balances I depend on, darkening the spectral balance, thickening and slowing the low end and mids, and the same harder density consolidating fine resolution and space complexity. Perhaps somewhat subtle individually, but collectively it messed with fundamentals to real sound that I really can't do without. So in some senses, at least with the copper and silver sluggos, it was not that far “off,” but in others disruptive. Still, I could hear and imagine potential in all these traits if less powerful and obvious, so I wanted to figure it out.

Weirdly, that tells the tale. In my experience, making a system faster and more resolving in part requires musically helping power and signal energy flow more easily… And the easier the flows, the more powerful less energy becomes. So as things get more open and resolved, to keep good balances, the whole seems to need to be toned down in power and force that was previously needed to push through less easy-flow design, parts and wires.

Having been working for years to awaken more and more musical free-flow of power and signal, it took a while to get a handle on, but finding I had to progressively tone things down as I progressively opened things up has been a real breakthrough. In my setup, the SDFB is a great example of this as I think it through. By opening up the power, the signal qualities load up more powerfully in every way, and here, without compensation, the SDFB was too much.

That said, I am pretty sure I would hear the same fundamentals of SDFB sound changes that I heard here in any reasonably resolving system. How much those effects net "better sound” would undoubtedly vary though depending on the base sound balances and the resulting causes and effects from the SDFB in a given room… what was gained, and what was lost… But most importantly in this story, what could be done to make the "better" better, to make the SDFB more complete and refined without compromises.

And, importantly, I am speaking from the refinement of fine audio perspective, where in some senses these changes could be viewed as relatively subtle, and in others pretty profound. For me, the deeper I get into a purer audio experience, the more critical nuance I experience becomes, making “subtle” a tricky concept.

And this all being a complex, it is all multifaceted. As easier, more resolved flows evolve, as long as the power is balanced along the way to allow all the fundamental balances that make music feel real, more complete resolution in space always seems to lead into seeking and finding even more refined musical balances. Better balances with good resolution, space and speed all around, reveal everything more, leading to more easily hearing potential for deeper refinements. This also leaves less latitudes before something that is not up to, or in balance with the evolving system, throws it off.

At the same time, the more refined resolution in space we uncover in all balances, the easier it is to get natural and complete musical clarity and speed without pain. The fine information feathers hard edges, while articulating musical time, increasing definition in comfortable ways. Top to bottom, it is like integrating a good super tweeter into a system. The highs become more complex and open and extended, and the bass tightens, becoming faster and more complex and textured. And mids up, refined detail in space also resolves natural speed, dynamics, and musical complexity... potentially transforming the "detail" based on bad habits and tech many of us have grown to fear, into sweet music.

The other side of the coin, to allow enough space to reveal rich textures and harmonics across the spectrum, the system/room can't be notably smeared or consolidated/dense/forceful anywhere... allowing it to be fast, dynamic, and musically rich top to bottom, while solving hardness, masking, excess coloration, and bloat. And all this, in turn, allows more refined and effective fine tuning latitudes, hearing more clearly allowing tuning more clearly and effectively as we adjust the system to tastes….or to shake things up in order to enliven the way we experience the music.

Always changing and learning, I am definitely not “there," but I guess these sorts of efforts have made my relatively refined system/room a good foundation for evaluating the SDFB, the causes and effects of the SDFB compared to fuses quite obvious, while probably making it easier to discern what does what.

But for me, especially since fuses were “better” for most of my progression of relatively conservative changes trying to adapt the SDFBs into my system, it took a fair bit of time and experimenting to discover what was happening and how to “fix” what was not beneficial for me….. hoping to carefully tune things so that the piggy/fusebox/sluggo sounds were transparent and neutral enough to allow experiencing their benefits more freely and clearly, and without sacrifices…. I wanted to hear only the SDFB’s essential benefits.

Finally, for me, even a single SDFB setup is not very subtle. Less notable used on power and front end stuff, and more obviously revealing itself with amps and pres for most, it seems most agree they are pretty powerful. And whether they balance or off-balance our setup, or in between, something this powerful almost always leaves room for more refinement… opening doors for making the whole more complete with less of the compromises we often do not know are there….our evolving baseline always creating potential for uncovering and resolving new refinements.

To me it is that constant wonder thing of the audio path. No matter how amazing things get, with more refinement, new ways of increasing refinement are revealed, making further refinements more accessible toward revealing new and more captivating ways to awaken our musical experience.

Then by learning more of what causes deepening engagement in the music from seeking and experiencing it… we naturally learn to refine with more skill, less trial and error, and less costs… Equally, with evolving perception and discernment, our potential for learning to talk more clearly about what we experience can help us help one another.

I just find it all an amazing trip and am really grateful for Steve and Bob and Randy and all our forum friends for awakening the excitement of exploration, and keeping it all rolling.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #279 - 03/11/24 at 09:20:03

I'm really finding the change with the SDFB and the Super Sluggo* to be both fundamental and. . . dare I say it "sufficient" . . . for my system (assuming it continues to refine incrementally in the next hundred plus hours or so).

I don't really see how I can incorporate another sluggo into the system without another SDFB even though the SEWE300B has the same value fuse. And I really like the balance I have now with the SDFB in the P15 and M-1 or Purple fuses in the other components--having carefully gone through the Audio Magic and Synergistic Research fuse lines I've found these two to be the sweet spot for me. The SDFB is both enhancing the overall sonic nature a bit and complementing these other "spices" and I've inched even closer to my goal of getting a great overall sound for the scope of recordings I listen to which range from excellent to okay with some really challenging unofficial ones. I really really really want to be in this zone or improving the confines of this zone and get off the constant search for "better" sound. And I'm closer to that state of mind and system than ever.

I am trying to wean myself from the search and to focus on other things that I both want and am directed to set into motion. Part of me wants to pursue a writing project and a further evolvement of the state of national and international affairs will help me outline and steer that. I also need to downsize my collections as I'm at an age where anything could happen and I really fear leaving my wife with a herculean task that she'll ultimately face with big long dumpsters as a default, something I don't want to happen. And I need (possibly tangental to the above) to start working on reducing her and to a slightly lesser extent my debt situation. If I continue on in my audio search I'll never fully direct my attention to these matters that I most procrastinate within--the music is both my biggest enjoyment and my escape and rationale for the escape.

My dedication to isolation and power in my system has really really paid off. The final portions--isolating all components AND supporting and isolating power connections, and using items such as Defenders and the eCards you started me exploring--have pushed the presentation right up to where I want it to be. I think I'm beginning to know when to "fold them." I'll snorkle near the surface and hang up my deep diving gear (that's the current hope and target).

On the macro level my one next direction and goal is towards improving my phono playback. The biggest picture step I can take to that I have made: I put myself on the list for a ZP3 with all the mods. And in the meantime I am going to experiment with moving from using my phono preamp ADC to send DSD to my DSD DAC for ultimate analog output to using the XLR output of my phono preamp into a ZBIT and eventually a ZROCK2 or ZROCK3. I have a long wait for a ZP3, a shorter one for a ZROCK3 and I already have a ZBIT to use. I'm getting fantastic sound right now sending DSD to the DSD DAC, but I think it's possible that using a more analog approach into the second input of my SEWE300B may be even better. We'll see when components trickle in.

Before those are visible on the horizon I'm enjoying the addition of the SDFB and hoping to settle in to another involved season of satisfying listening sessions. This year I've been really enjoying the newest Blue Note UHQCD and Winchester reissues from Japan, and exploring again the catalog of work from Tom Harrell, the Mingus Big Band, and others.

*Looking into copper with gold immersion led to a rabbit hole of fascinating material about the use of metal nanoparticles in medical drug delivery especially regarding cancer treatment.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #280 - 03/11/24 at 11:53:45

Lon, I really connect with that third paragraph you wrote. I’m not a huge fan of technology and the endless chasing for the unattainable, but nonetheless did make the decision a few years ago to change over to streaming. No more LP’s, CDs, reels, it all had to go. No more one off, not sure if I’ll like it plastic purchases. Now I spend every Friday through Sunday listening to the new releases on Qobuz. What I don’t like (which is most of it) just goes away, never to be heard again. No more preamp, no more gizmos, no more snake oil, no more magic. I just have a simple amp and speakers, connected by short cables, that all sound amazing. Sometimes I fall off the wagon and do make a minor purchase and usually find myself returning to the basics shortly thereafter. It’s really about the music and the time we share with loved ones, not leaving behind a dumpster of packaging and branded products in my estate. I have been teaching electronics lately and trying to keep that fairly simple, and give those devices away to the kids when the project is done. Learning to say “when” is a hard learn. We can learn it sooner or later.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 03/11/24 at 12:48:27

Lon and Glif,
I emphatically agree with leaving a boat of baggage at our demise can be burdensome to loved ones. I've tried and seem to be succeeding with procurement of things that my family would love to have. I give most of it to them now keeping my space livable and organized.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #282 - 03/11/24 at 13:24:27

Well I don't want to derail this thread with another discussion, but yes, I'm going to work on downsizing but I'm not going to begin streaming--my immediate goal is to divest myself of a big climate controlled storage space, and then slowly diminish what I have in the house. I can't see myself totally divesting myself of discs, but I will slowly reduce the collection to a manageable size. And arrange for someone to help Lucinda with the remainder if necessary.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 03/11/24 at 13:40:01

Yes, it can be a labyrinth... and I hear you all on the dumpster thing!

Lon: "I don't really see how I can incorporate another sluggo into the system without another SDFB even though the SEWE300B has the same value fuse."

One reason I suggested this is that you can be burning in a copper at the same time and the super sluggo if the fuse needs are about the same, and then have choices to play with. I was thinking that if your 300B uses the same fuse size as the regenerator, you could use one fusebox to protect both. When I talked to Mark a few months ago, he had a rig with one input from the Fusebox, and two outlets, allowing one SDFB to have two things plugged into it. I think Groovysauce has made and used this solution. In this case, one Fusebox splitter outlet would go to the PSAudio, and the other to the 300B.

I am also wondering if having a SDFB before the regenerator, and plugging the 300B into the regenerator, would a disruption from the 300B trip the fusebox going into the PSAudio, and if so, would it be fast enough? Beyond my scope of knowledge, having the regenerator in between the fusebox and amp. But a nice solution if it would work. Could be worth asking Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #284 - 03/11/24 at 14:28:20

Well I think I would have to have that other SDFB splitter to work and I have spent the money I can now and really don't feel I need two Sluggos in the system. I'm quite happy with what I think this one will be in a few weeks. When I get there I can decide if I want to go through the seasoning process again with a copper Sluggo. Or silver. Or something with Graphene if that is developed as hinted elsewhere--that may be the one to try.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #285 - 03/11/24 at 17:57:36

GS posted a pic in post 170 earlier in the thread on how to use one SDFB with two components. This struck an interest in me since I'd like to run one SDFB for my UFO, CSP, and ZP3. Still trying to wrap my head around what would be best for my situation. All three of my components plug directly into a dedicated line with two outlets.

As for the dumpster talk, my mom passed the day after Thanksgiving and my dad passed the very next day. Since then we've been working to sort everything out. Some things have been easy, other things very difficult. The very best thing any of us can do is document while we're still here.  Usernames, passwords, account numbers, etc in a binder. Directives, funeral, burial/cremation wishes. Get it done. I've been putting things like this off for a bit, as soon as we get the estate settled I plan to have a file on as much as I can. For instance, my mom was a crafter and seamstress, she left an entire room of stuff I absolutely am not in tune with. I want all this stuff to go to someone who can appreciate and use it...finding that person or people is a challenge. It's a difficult subject, since I'm fresh in the middle of it, feel free to ask anything. And if you're looking for seeing patterns, I have FOUR boxes full of them!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #286 - 03/11/24 at 19:56:29

Hey Sean. Sorry to hear about your double loss at once and all the challenging decisions... I get it, and feel for you... lots of loss here also.

It might be worth a call to Mark with three components, but I have had no issues with my 5 amp fusebox running a 5 amp balanced transformer, and most of the system fed by it. Also no issue so far with the same 5 amp fusebox running to a nice power strip I made, the strip then running the 5 amp amp, 3.13 amp CSP3 as well as my DAC and USB Bridge. So if the UFO, CSP, and ZP3 have the same fuse ratings, I bet you can make that work with a nice four outlet box fed by a single SDFB....but probably should call Mark to verify.

This looks pretty nice and would be easy to upgrade receptacles or IEC if it seems relevant, but it might have pretty good sounding parts. Most of the Chinese receptacles I have are supposed to be copper base metal and connectors, and sound pretty good. If you scroll down this page, it shows a bunch of options, including empty boxes you could put a nice IEC and receptacles in if inclined: https://www.ebay.com/itm/116041831424?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110013%2...

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #287 - 03/11/24 at 20:56:41

Thanks Will. At some point I do plan to contact Mark. All three components use the same value fuse, so it "should" be fairly straight forward. That linked product looks like a great solution and has my mental gears turning. When I installed my dedicated line I ran the cable from the fuse box to the corner of my rack which about 4' from the wall. I used plastic conduit from the wall to the 4 gang box with PS Audio outlets. An inspector would likely shake his head no on this, but I'm comfortable with how it's run and secured. The conduit is behind a record cabinet and in no danger of being moved or wiggled loose. I'm loosely thinking if I install an outlet at the wall, then the SDFB, then the 4 gang box I'd be good to go, maybe?!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #288 - 03/11/24 at 21:15:33

Sounds like a good plan Sean. I look forward to what you hear from Mark and good luck!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #289 - 03/12/24 at 02:40:28

From Lon: 'really don't feel I need two Sluggos in the system. I'm quite happy with what I think this one will be in a few weeks. When I get there I can decide if I want to go through the seasoning process again with a copper Sluggo. Or silver. Or something with Graphene if that is developed as hinted elsewhere--that may be the one to try.'

This makes good sense to me... I just think the copper sounds better, but I get it...with all the nice fuses you have, and other power work you have done, I know you have really great power sound.

I just moved some stuff around, changing cables and the 5 amp Fusebox setup. I pulled the silver slug and Fusebox from before the Balanced Transformer, putting the Fusebox between the Transformer and power strip that feeds most of the system. In the Transformer I put back in a 6.3 SR Blue I had used there. At first I missed the push of the silver slug, in this position, increasing most musical information in a pretty balanced way using my tuned "piggy."

Having adjusted to the silver slugs bigger yet articulate sound, I missed it at first, but also liked some aspects of the more open detailed qualities of the fuse...Wanting to beef up the sound a little, I switched around some power cords, while adding in a fancy Furutech cable with great copper that has an oil on it with gold and silver particles. It has that Furutech warmth, a little dark, but with great fine resolution, and a slight slowness is not really that noticeable except in how it contributes to a sophisticated euphonic feel with all else. Usually a little too warm for me, with the leaner fuse, that cable into the Transformer sweetened the sound really nicely.

Then putting the Fusebox into the Transformer, in front of my fav cable I usually use going into the Transformer or regenerator, this very special fast, neutral, and musical cable feeds the power strip that powers most of the system. Then using a bit more gain on the ZBIT and CSP3, the sound is amazing in all ways... better overall than it was the way I had things setup up with the silver slug. I do still have a copper sluggo in the CSP3, a silver slug in the 300B/845, and ground wire copper slugs in the DAC and USB Bridge... So only one fuse in the blend, but the fuse sound contributes, and caused me to find this really magical sound. I love it when I find this level of synergy.

No doubt I will play with the silver slug in the Transformer again, and see what I can get with different cord combinations using a slug there.

But the moral of the story, is that I agree, with nice fuses and cords, and good power components, filters, etc, we can get really awesome quality power sound using fuses.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #290 - 03/12/24 at 09:35:45

Yes, I'm thinking with my system that one Sluggo to rule them all is the way to go at least for the near future, as I had the balance so nicely configured up to that point with fuses et al. And I do have a blue fuse (doing duty in a rectifier board now) and the Purple and M-1 are much better fuses all around, so I am well-sorted with fuses. The Super Sluggo may not be THE ONE Sluggo to rule here, but I'll keep it in for a week or so more and see if I feel that I am lacking anything a copper Sluggo might cure. (And if there is a Graphene-included one in the future I'll likely try that--Graphene is a component in the fuses i like most.)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #291 - 03/12/24 at 14:56:02

I touch up my fuse ends and sluggos with graphene oil, and/or Cardas contact oil. It will be interesting to see if, and what, Verifi comes up with using graphene!

With this oil, stickers, outside passive filters, cords, good IECs, using different fuses for specific places (the slightly oversized Blue is particularly good in the Balances Transformer).... etc, I have been able to get "last years" (more really) cheaper fuses to sound pretty good as part of the blend. But I get your point!

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #292 - 03/12/24 at 15:32:36

Will and Lon, thank you for highlighting your experience with the Slugo's being directional. No idea how that is even possible, however it made all the difference in the world in my 2nd SDFB powering a CSP3.

I was at a loss as the SDFB powering the SE84 has always sounded so good yet the new one on the CSP3 was just not the same.

Everything is back to excellent now with this one small change.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #293 - 03/12/24 at 15:58:50

The other Lon wrote on 03/12/24 at 15:32:36:
Will and Lon, thank you for highlighting your experience with the Slugo's being directional. No idea how that is even possible, however it made all the difference in the world in my 2nd SDFB powering a CSP3.

I was at a loss as the SDFB powering the SE84 has always sounded so good yet the new one on the CSP3 was just not the same.

Everything is back to excellent now with this one small change.

Good to read that helped!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #294 - 03/12/24 at 16:19:15

Good story Other Lon. Roughly I am guessing it must be purity, how the metals are drawn and annealed, and what happens with variations with impurities, uniformity, density, spaces, hardness...(and more)... Individually and collectively all bring different qualities to conductors. The more I play with audio, hearing the pretty profound differences from seemingly similar things by standard measurements, the more the beautifully subtle, alive, and responsive nature of electrons become....seemingly totally nuanced in response with whatever they interact with, and how that interactivity effects the sound.

I have found even UPOCC wires, so beautifully made, seem to have some directionality.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #295 - 03/12/24 at 16:28:59

Will, thanks for that explanation.  I was wondering how to account for directionality in a metal conductor and had no explanation.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #296 - 03/12/24 at 16:35:05

You're welcome Tony... how I visualize/imagine it today anyway.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #297 - 03/12/24 at 17:56:06

Well, I find cheap fuses to sound pretty good. It's just that there are other (in two manufacturer lines higher up the ladder) that sound. . . considerably better!

I want to note that I read in an earlier audiogon discussion that Mark was possibly looking into graphene in the Sluggo materials. Nothing specific since.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #298 - 03/12/24 at 18:06:25

Nearing 70 hours of use the sound is really nice. I decided to and did swap out the Acme fuse in the SEWE300B for the Audio Magic M-1 and that has so far yielded another little bump in the sonic direction I have enjoyed in my system. And I have decided to seek out a copper Sluggo to compare to the Super Sluggo.

Edit to add: Mark will send me a "High Purity Copper" Sluggo.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #299 - 03/12/24 at 18:08:18

Quote:
Posted by: will      Posted on: Today at 08:19:15

Good story Other Lon. Roughly I am guessing it must be purity, how the metals are drawn and annealed, and what happens with variations with impurities, uniformity, density, spaces, hardness...(and more)... Individually and collectively all bring different qualities to conductors.

It turns out the details of electrical conduction in metals is hugely complicated, and not completely understood. This isn't my area of expertise but the way I understand it is metal can have something like a crystal structure, and while it will conduct electricity in any direction there is a preferred direction which you can think of as going with the grain. A little more detail is that what a conductor mostly does is guide an electromagnetic field, it is not so much about moving electrons even though that is how it is usually described.

FWIW I think what (successful)  cryo treatment does is modify the structure of the metal in a way that improves how it guides electromagnetic waves.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print