Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 17:33:15 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 43573 times)
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #200 - 12/22/23 at 14:44:28

When Dominick replied:

By comparison between the Chinese fuse you sent me, and the SDFB….well there IS NO COMPARISON

I thought that statement describes my experience as well with my 84UFO25.  I replaced its fuse with an SR Purple fuse a few months ago and heard a subtle improvement in SQ.  The improvement in SQ with the SDFB is way more than just subtle.

After the holidays, I hope to explore this change further.  

Which also reminds me, Happy Holidays, everyone!

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 12/22/23 at 17:57:39

Lon, I completely agree with not messing up and or screwing around with changes as you have dialed-in your rig to your preferences and pulling the trigger according to finances.  I think we all are in the same boat when it comes to audio decisions, which is why this logic resonates with us.

That said (and I say this with the utmost respect), I disagree with the notion that the SDFB makes the presentation brighter and folks who are using it, like brighter presentations.  Part of my disagreement rests on the negative connotation of the word ‘bright’.  It’s certainly looked down upon as nobody likes extremes—us audiophiles will be the first one out of the room if it’s fatiguing.  

However, the larger part of the disagreement stems from what I am hearing with two SDFB’s in the rig (and a third one planned perhaps after new years).  

This is a headroom game through and through.  The SDFB allows your gear to operate at its full potential, as if you had way more headroom, making the presentation more effortless, more airy, with a decidedly appreciable increase in dynamics and soundstage.

The reduction in the noise-floor is so dramatic, that notes just literally pop out nowhere, are laser etched, layered, extremely holographic, and have a glorious decay.

“Bright” does not do justice to what I am experiencing.

My two cents…

Cheers!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #202 - 12/22/23 at 18:28:50

Thanks for weighing in. "Bright" I do hear and feel detrimentally when others don't, and references to "airy" and "detailed" etc. most often translate into a brighter playback than I prefer. I'm quite sensitive to treble energy and my ZROCK2s (I have three, one in each system) are dialed way up in EQ A. Many things i try that others find compellingly improvements I find. . . bringing brightness. I have loads of dynamics currently and actually dial some down with tuning, and sound stage is something my setup is challenged with and I can choose soundstage or frequency balance (less bright!) and I do choose the latter, I can't really have the best of both. I've done a lot to reduce the background noise in my system and the system has a very black background even with the SEWE300B in thanks to the regenerator and other items such as excellent cabling and Shunyata Defenders, etc.

As for some folk preferring a brighter presentation. . .this is a reality I have learned over the two and a half plus decades of being a Decware person.

So I'm very hesitant. I don't need headroom in my system. Mark has made me a very generous offer of a trial when I am ready to do so and I'll probably just buy one when I can in a few months and give it a shot. But to be honest. . .your posting makes me think I will indeed find brightness as a result. In time, we'll see.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #203 - 12/22/23 at 18:53:00

What Kamran said +1. It's easy to get caught up in audio vernacular. IMHO the SDFB simply lets Decware and other equipment sound it's very best.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #204 - 12/22/23 at 18:55:11

Just a very short note to the group here

Firstly - safe and happy holiday to all.

Secondly - I want to mention that we had a couple of ooopses in our packing etc.

Thanks to those that treated us with kindness and respect. We overnighted every instance of a failed shipment. Music today and tomorrow for all...

I've enjoyed the phone conversations with each of you - I've spoke to several forum denisons and I can without question say how incredible those chats were - and the level of civility and interest really made me happy.

I need to thank Steve for allowing me here.

So -  best to all

Lynn and Mark

PS - Impactful "Density" (read more information than ever before)... does not necessarily mean "bright" - I like the use of "WEIGHT" instead. Kinda of a Jon Iverson (Electro Research) thing. The EK-1 Phono System was possibly thought of as "bright" by some - by me (as it's young dude VP of Sales) Jon taught me the use of Weight - Long time ago - but I remember it well. Just don't ask me what I ate for breakfast - no idea Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #205 - 12/22/23 at 19:28:14

I just want to say that I do know "brightness," "density" and "weight"--their audio meanings and in direct experience.  In my audiophile experience much of what others don't consider bright IS bright to my ears in my systems in my rooms, so I am cautious.

E.G. People in treated rooms or very large rooms may say something is "not bright" that indeed can be in an untreated smaller  room such as I have by necessity.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #206 - 12/22/23 at 19:32:16

Appreciate all the feedback and perspectives. I'm ordering one now!

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #207 - 12/22/23 at 20:29:00

@Lon

Understood completely your perspective

The point about Room Size is SPOT ON as well...

Happy Holidays

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #208 - 12/22/23 at 22:16:47

I was one of the overnight recipients. Thank you Mark.
Very short initial impression;
The SDFB gives a clearer presentation of what I already have with a fuller, think more information, from top to bottom presentation which so far is actually less bright. I can listen at lower volumes now without the desire to turn it up for it to fill in the meat of the music, I love that!
I am terribly sensitive like Lon is so I am very pleased with the first two hours and I am very much looking forward to some more listening time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #209 - 12/22/23 at 23:24:38

Thanks for weighing in SS!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #210 - 12/25/23 at 08:50:29

Lon’s setup fosters brightness. No room treatment and speakers with crossovers separating drivers.

Kamran’s setup absorbs brightness with room treatment and single drivers.

SonicSeeker’s comments are spot on on what fuse replacement with a sluggo does to a system.

A #4 solid copper wire cut to 20mm will serve as a sluggo and provide insight on what the SDFB will do to a system. Home Depot.

Two negatives of the design in the SDFB(a good product) that haunts me is the ability to remove it while the sluggo remains in place. And, the need to send it back to change values of protection.

I think by just showing up here on this forum we are all sensitive to over brightness.

My thoughts.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #211 - 12/25/23 at 12:22:36

I've conquered the brightness in my playback. Source and cabling improvements were the first wave of defense, Shunyata Defenders were the final component that tipped the scales for me. I have four in use.

FOMO is battling my fear of upsetting the system balance. At present I'm off the fence and holding steady with what I have, the best sound I've ever heard in an audio system. Seems prudent at the moment!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #212 - 12/25/23 at 12:24:59

I'm really struggling with the term bright the last few days.

What is bright?

I used to think it was excess or over exaggerated treble. The last month or so I'm starting to think it's a form of distortion in the higher frequencies that some are more sensitive than others. Similar to absolute phase some are more sensitive to it that others.

I'm going to disagree about the treated room. It won't fix a brightness issue. A untreated room can exacerbate brightness.  

I've found the Lii 15 drivers presence peak can easily push the system into sounding bright.

I don't see crossed over speakers as being inherently bright. My Amphion Argon 7ls speakers—even running a class D amp—never sounded bright to me. They also had some of the best high end I've heard on a speaker.

The SDFB lowers distortion. Higher frequencies have less distortion so a "veil" has been lifted. This means it's more clear and "easier on the ears"

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #213 - 12/25/23 at 12:25:42

Quote:
and I can choose soundstage or frequency balance (less bright!) and I do choose the latter, I can't really have the best of both.

OH... how I wish I could do that, seriously!  One of my wife's friends once commented about me... "the problem with you is that it's the best or nothing!"  At times this woman can irritate me like no other.  In audiophile terms she can be bright, harsh and brittle (at times), at least to my ears she is regardless of the room we happen to be in, treated or untreated.  Yet, I have to reluctantly admit that she's quite correct in assessing an element of my personality (one of my many flaws).

Because of this flaw of mine, the best or nothing, I have found it necessary to chase headroom and detail all the time being on a razors edge where the results tip into a presentation that is bright or harsh or brittle or, worse yet, all three.  In so doing I have found that it is possible to achieve detail and headroom without the brightness, harshness and/or brittleness.  However it is demanding and can be costly.  A rabbit hole that many may choose not to go down.

I think that the exchange of thoughts in this thread (very positively expressed by all) has lead me to conclude that I need to try at least one SDFB.

Thanks all (tongue in cheek, so much for the budget!).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #214 - 12/25/23 at 12:47:23

I think we all have a reaction to "bright" or "dull" that may be personal.

I look for a "natural" sound and I think the biggest barrier to that in my system is possibly EMI/RFI. The more I combat THAT the clearer treble becomes, the more edge disappears, the more I relax into sound. (I'm probably lucky that I now live in the least "noisey" neighborhood of my lifetime out here by the woods). I use recordings and actual discs analog or digital that I have listened to for decades and recordings I made of bands I was a member of as references.

You may be right GS that it is a treble distortion. EMI/RFI may be triggering it in my system.

The perception of audio is so personal. For example I bought a preamp from John that I know he struggled to let go off because it had been maximized including cryo treatment and it is a fantastic preamp. . . but my other almost identical non-cryo'd preamp with the only real difference being Jupiter instead of Miflex caps. . . I thought sounded much more natural and fitted my system better. I sold John's preamp last week.

There's not a one size fits all solution to many audio problems. The SDFB may well be very close to one. I may find out later this coming year. But my audio journey was actually improved this last year in large part due to the SEWE300B--that amp and my speakers are better matched, and the SET 300B sound has taken the system to a zone I want to inhabit for a long time.

It's an amazing travel experience to get to this point, and I want to relax and enjoy the sonic view for a spell!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 12/25/23 at 13:01:00

Lon's mention of the Shunyata Defenders goes with my experience. Lowering noise does help remove brightness. Lower EMI/RFI does seem to make all things better.

FOMO is a tough one I just went through this. I had my Torii MKV cryo'd. Same as Lon I prefer the non cryo'd sound and sold the Torii. It was a hard decision, especially as I'm in the high 400's on the list for a Sarah 300b.

We collectively have easily over 100 years of enjoying musical reproduction on this thread. Yet I feel like we are a bunch of blind people describing a sunset at times!

JOMAN, If you need help spending more money, I'm available for private consultations... Ask Kamran.  ;D

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #216 - 12/25/23 at 13:23:06

bright·ness
/ˈbrītnəs/
noun
the quality or state of giving out or reflecting light.

Changed the word light in the above definition to sound from my point of view.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #217 - 12/25/23 at 13:23:45

Quote:
I look for a "natural" sound and I think the biggest barrier to that in my system is possibly EMI/RFI.

Definitely on all counts!

Groovy, so kind of you, I'll see if I can add consultations with you right after my psychiatrist...😵‍💫.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #218 - 12/25/23 at 13:31:47

From my experience an untreated room will foster brightness. Errors in timing and phasing will also do the same.
I never heard crossed over speakers that did not over brighten sound in some way or another. IMO the sound is polluted with additional components that Decware strives to eliminate.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #219 - 12/25/23 at 16:47:33

And don’t forget everyone’s hearing is different.

Put each of our unique auditory plots up against the same room and system combination and  each of us will be pleased and irritated to a greater degree.

Hey Lon, think how good your system would sound with 8 defenders! Smiley $$$

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #220 - 12/25/23 at 17:16:42

8 . . . I may find out one day!

Right now I have four paired outlets on the back of my P15 that only have one component connected, and I have a Defender in the other outlet of each. Best placement of them so far.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #221 - 12/25/23 at 17:39:28

Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating.  I’m running a Christmas playlist on Sarah but sitting up in the family room—just stunned how amazing it sounds one floor up, outside of the rig.

Santa Claus definitely came to town early for I also been blessed with the best sound I’ve ever heard.  It’s just unreal.  Many thanks to Steve for Sarah and many thanks to GS’ ($$$) consultations for all the additional mods including the SRA PC and the SDFB.

Such a fantastic and civil discussion—-other forums such as Audiogon or PS Audio should take note.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 12/25/23 at 17:42:19

I guess describing brightness is difficult because a lot of things can cause the effect of feeling too bright. Seems most of our aversions are based in a sharp/hard quality to tipped up, or tipped up feeling mid-to-high frequency areas of the spectrum, and usually some combination of those areas.

It seems to me about anything can contribute, like those mentioned... distortions, timing issues (phase), spectral imbalances in gear, or from room reflections and modes.... But even with a decent spectral balance, without distracting peaks and nulls, a balance that is light from the lower mids down tends to lean and bright. Alternately "dull," with all else good, can just be weighing toward too much bass in the balance.

But to me, more important, with all good spectrally, these conditions and more can contribute to signal concentration where potential complexity is smeared together, concentrated, sounding hard... I'm thinking how too-strong macro dynamics can amplify hard note intensity. If that same information is allowed to be more naturally clarified with parts, wires, and design, etc, concentrated detail can expand into complex harmonic information, taking the edge off. And if it balances, it can manifest as a more complete representation of the instruments, one that is smooth from greater resolution, but also clearer, bringing out nuances.... like nuanced touches of hair and rosin on strings, spit on reeds, wood vibrating, finger hits on strings, air, textures, decays...    

The signal more complex from clarifying space differentiation between fine detail, better resolution and more correct timing done well, can transform information that was hard, into more limitless, natural and relaxed music.

But if timing and clarification of resolution/removal of smearing are not across the spectrum, it does not feel right. If each area of the frequency range does not have relatively correct timing and resolution, the whole sound does not  feel integrated and complete. To me this is at least as big a deal as spectral balance.... timing imbalances contributing to spectral imbalances if timing is not balanced bottom to top...another culprit for not being able to feel/hear the subtle stuff that can really make the music feel natural and realer.

To this end, like most of us, but some more than others, I am always very carefully tuning for more complete power. Power from the house, and in power supplies for the gear. Everything counts... all the receptacles, how we approach power with parts we use to create, protect and filter it, every cable and all the cable ends, IEC connectors... how well connections fit and how smooth the metal is to allow better conduction in a good fit.... and for those of us using, or looking at the SDFB, before the SDFB, our long explorations with fuses.

Lon bringing up the Shunyata Defender is a good pointer to me. I have used one since they first came out... not a breathtaking change, but it was good enough to keep even back then when my system was less resolving. And especially in concert with other quality filters that act similarly, they can really help clean the whole sound by removing subtle sounding distortions that are irritating more from feel than recognized sound a lot of times, at least until we fix them. To me, sonically, the Shunyata allowed more very fine senses of space and detail, and I think it did it by reducing distortions/smearing... not from taking away signal information, but from resolving it better... making the detail better, more complex. By solving distortions, even ones we may not be able to measure as heard, we can still perceive it apparently in good system/rooms, and resolving detail more fully and reducing smearing are two sides of the same coin. While carefully keeping/making all else good, this to me is the best read I have found toward relaxing hardness and brightness into music.

I guess I stopped being able to blame "detail" for brightness a long time ago. My SE 34 Decware amp and MG944s helped a lot, allowing me to hear so much more, but importantly, also allowing my Tranquility DAC front end to better show its potential. In that DAC development, lots and lots of attention and experiments were about allowing fuller and more complete harmonic complexity as a means to resolve "digital" toward a high quality analog sound. With carefully selected cables, and computer and software feeding it (all carefully selected and tuned with blind testing), as my  system and room became more able show it, that DAC was revelatory to me.  It opened a whole world, leading to exploring refinements system and room-wide ever since...

Alternately, systems and rooms, so complex, if anything concentrates the signal/detail, it will mess it All up, caps, wires, connectors, resistors, tubes.....power, components, speakers….room….and vibration! But if those all work together, the glory of smooth and natural complexity can be found, and this has been the ultimate read for me. With all else pretty right, "more space between the particles of sound" creates the sense of more particles of sound making the music, equating to more natural and complete complexity. And it makes some sense.... if we truncate the most fragile aspects of the signal and sound, what else goes with it. Just like real music in a really revealing room... there is way more complexity than linear thought and words can pinpoint or describe easily.

With this “new tool” for discerning ways to improve the musical experience, I learned more and more to dislike attempts at solving "brightness" with roll-off, and too obvious attempts to mask higher frequencies with "warmth," which to me often sounds veiled and dark. And the more I went the other way... carefully increasing fine resolution to open the signal, the signal less concentrated, increased functional detail can awaken and relax the sound, resolving hardness without sacrifice... while also resolving "warming" qualities!

I love what I think of as real warmth, where the finest detail in harmonic information and high extension are not overwhelmed... instead couched in a little darker/sweeter tone. I guess the sweetening aspect is the combination of slight darkening with great timing and complexity.... without masking detail complexity. It is the "affect" of warmth I can't stand... always taking the life out of the music for me.

No doubt there is more to it, but I never cease to be amazed at how more resolution and space, with musicality, can just keep getting better and better and better... And more an more, what I hear as musicality in parts or tubes or cables or components......always seems to be associated with less restricted resolution in space, making spectral, detail, and timing balances more complete, "enhancing" a naturally musical and friendly experience.

Based on all sonic reports, the SDFB makes sense toward this end. Guessing the "sluggos" must be from pretty nice materials and method, so not only supporting a bigger/freer transfer of energy, but a cleaner, more resolved transfer of energy. And taking out bottle necks and distortions caused by from fuse use, seems the SDFB can allow more complete everything, including better timing and more complexity. For me, also important, it sounds like it can do this without contributing much to a spectral shifts toward dark/thick like oversized cables can....

So my thanks to you early adopters for all your impressions and ideas … I ordered a few with some copper and gold dipped sluggos to play with, and hope to get to try them later in the week! Excited.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #223 - 12/25/23 at 18:01:04

will wrote on 12/25/23 at 17:42:19:
I ordered a few with some copper and gold dipped slugs to play with, and hope to get to try them later next week! Excited.

Will, I look forward to hearing about your thoughts on this new concept.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #224 - 12/25/23 at 22:34:57

Quote:
To this end, like most of us, but some more than others, I am always very carefully tuning for more complete power. Power from the house, and in power supplies for the gear. Everything counts... all the receptacles, how we approach power with parts we use to create, protect and filter it, every cable and all the cable ends, IEC connectors... how well connections fit and how smooth the metal is to allow better conduction in a good fit

Great post Will, as always. In this regard and at risk of a slight tangent to the discussion on the SDFB (since the Venom Defender was mentioned), I thought I’d share  a conversation I had with Richard at Shunyata this past week.

We were discussing placement of the Defender, since I’m using a Shunyata Venom PS8 power distribution strip. He advised that if there is space it is best to use the Defender in the power strip instead of the shared wall outlet. He recommended to continue connecting the amp directly to the wall socket along with the PS8 and then placing the preamp closest to the power cable inlet in the distribution strip, followed by the analog components. He recommended placing the Defender along with the noisier digital components (streamer/DAC)in the same duplex, with the Defender between the DAC and the analog components. He recommended this as the best way to organize the components to maximize the filtering of the Defender. He also mentioned the use of multiple Defenders if space allows, but that there was also a point of diminishing returns, I believe which was 4 Defenders in the system, based on memory.

Theoretically this all made sense, though our conversation and my rearranging things came just before receiving the SDFB, so I didn’t have much time for critical listening, to really speak to the effects. I believe Marks Puron may be a similar device, but am not sure how they may compare.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #225 - 12/25/23 at 23:08:54

Thanks for reporting that. Seems I eventually ended up sort of using these as intended in my P15 as I don't have a power strip.

I've seen users of Puron say that it is better than the Defender, and users of the Defender say it is better than the Puron.

That's definitely to be expected!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #226 - 12/25/23 at 23:31:42

Yes, thanks LiquidBlue. I used to move around my Defender now and then, but for a long time I found I liked it best in the beginning of my tuned up Brickwall, where I put all the front end stuff, and the Brickwall plugged into one side of the main audio receptacle. Then I had amp and pre in "the front" of the PSAudio P5, and a furutech plug filter between amp and pre, and noisier things like the TV and DAC I use for video, as far away from the amp and pre as I could. The P5 took the other side of the Audio receptacle. Once woken up with better receptacles, IEC inlet, fuse, and a cable made just for it, I liked the P5 a lot because I could adjust the phase adjustment to balance spaciousness and density, and for stable voltage for my amps, where one volt changes the sound enough to matter to me. I preferred it between 115 and 117 volts when my house power was 120-123... Higher voltage I could probably handle if stable but moving around, tuning was a moving target. And comparatively, higher voltage makes everything too strong, dark, and thick for me.

Right now, the P5 is not working, and the main fuse is fine. Once I have the nerve to move it (heavy!) and see if I can find what is wrong inside, I will reevaluate the plugin filter placement. But now it sounds pretty great with a nice Chinese made balanced isolation transformer first, then an opened up Uber, tuned with more and better caps across the receptacle's AC. In one isolated receptacle of the Uber is the Furutech filter and the Brickwall, and in the Brickwall, primary audio stuff (analog and my main DD converter and DAC). The Defender is still at the beginning of the Brickwall. In the next Uber receptacle is the sub, and the other stuff on a strip that is plugged into the last Uber receptacle...

I found that at this point, using the other main audio receptacle for the Mac Mini sounds really good.

I too am interested in Mark's Puron plugs, once things settle down here and stabilize some... We touched on it when we talked, but I did not dig, more wanting to talk about the fusebox and him busy with orders. It did sound like he was familiar with lots of these type units and represents the Puron... but as Lon pointed to... just have to try them in our setups to see which is better, or for me, if they compliment one another. What a trip it all is!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #227 - 12/26/23 at 10:42:11

Good Early Morning

I keep reading this thread when alerted. The good supported back and forth is good for the audiophile soul

I yesterday posted on Facebook my One Big Reveal for 2024. By February we should be shipping the first of three planned DC Subbing Products. This first one is called SnubWay - this is Viet's short description of this product and how important we think it is given the "pollution" of our AC Mains by SMPS and other invaders of noise.

###

SnubWay^TM is an advanced parallel mains noise filter utilizing 4 discrete LRC filters tuned to absorb high frequency noise from switch mode power supplies (SMPS) and other sources in the 10kHz to 2MHz frequency range.  Today’s homes have power lines that are constantly polluted with dirty pulse switching noises from SMPS that are so ubiquitous in modern homes.  From our cell phone chargers to the power supplies for LED lamps and even our laptop computer supplies.  They all utilize high speed switching in the 100kHz to 1 MHz range, and they often leak noise back into the house AC mains.  

The SnubWay mains noise filter has multiple LRC tuned resonant snubbers to absorb this unwanted noisy energy from SMPS’s over a broad frequency range. The LRC filters utilize nano-graphite pulse absorbers to provide a broader frequency absorption band and high quality polyethylene film capacitors combined with precision wound copper coil inductors. The discrete filters are computer tuned and designed for optimal performance.  The filters are arranged in parallel to absorb a broad range of sinusoidal and transient pulse noise sources.  The LRC filters are arranged on separate PCB assemblies stacked and connected in parallel using solid 14 gauge copper wire busses.  All of this is encased in a state of the art transparent acrylic housing and utilizes custom made premium Viborg plug housing with solid copper prongs and hardware.  

To use SnubWay, simply plug it into a power outlet located as close to your equipment that you want to have filtering achieved. For instance, a power outlet strip. Insert SnubWay into the first outlet position and your audio equipment after SnubWay.  As its name implies, SnubWay provides multiple snubbers coming together in one spot - similar to a busy subway train station interchange where multiple train lines connect.  The difference here is that the different “noise trains” come to the SnubWay, but they don’t leave!  SnubWay is designed to reduce and absorb SMPS noise in the mains by up to xxdB (this can vary and is dependent on customer specific equipment and house wiring arrangement and condition).

###

Posting a few pictures as well here.

I don't want to interrupt the flow re SDFB - but I feel given the direction of this thread that interjecting this now is safe.

Many thanks - and wishing all of you a beautiful and peaceful Holiday Season

Many thanks

Lynn and Mark

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #228 - 12/26/23 at 10:44:49

Here is Snubway

untitled_12.jpg
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #229 - 12/26/23 at 10:50:05

###
testing is very successful. Applying 100kHz, 200kHz, 400kHz sine wave to simulate SMPS noise on common mode (both L and N) is get almost perfect filtering.
For 1.7Vpp input at 400kHz the output is about 4mVpp. That’s -52dB attenuation.

Emphasize the scale on second Oscope is 10mV/Div and first one is 500mV/Div
Please note this

###

413913325_10228885037005157_1792855997315067156_n.jpg
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #230 - 12/26/23 at 10:51:16

After

My apologies for now knowing how to really post these properly here

Sorry

412515202_10228885040645248_5626926946831083743_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #231 - 12/26/23 at 17:25:24

Congratulations on the reveal Mark! I’ll start a new thread on Snubway to keep the discussion focused and not to steal the SDFB’s thunder.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #232 - 12/26/23 at 21:00:20

Thanks so very much Kamran

Very much appreciated

Yours

Mark

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #233 - 12/28/23 at 16:31:48

I'll add a couple of my own cents...received my SDFB on Tuesday, running it for about 12 hours directly in front of an SE84CKC before adding a CSP3 to the mix.

My immediate impression was a feeling of being more engaged with the music. Not sure if that equates to the lifting of a veil or anything like that. Just felt like I was more a part of the music than a bystander. I meant to play just songs that I know well, however, after experiencing the first song, Strange Fruit from Dominque Fils-Aime's Nameless album, I had to keep listening to the entire album. Everything just seemed new, like I was listening to the album for the first time.

Each and every track after the album was the same feeling. Bigger, more engaging, more better Smiley

Excellent addition to the system.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #234 - 12/28/23 at 21:44:13

Last week, I posted my initial impression of using the SDFB instead of my SR Purple fuse in my UFO25 and said that the improvement was not subtle.   After a few days, I put the SR fuse back into the amp to compare. After several hours of listening, I thought perhaps my initial report of the SDFB had been too glowing as the amp's SQ with the restored SR Purple Fuse also sounded great. I could NOT discern a decrement in SQ objectively and found that puzzling. I decided to leave the fuse in the UFO25 for a couple of days and then switched back to the SDFB for further review.

Last night, I made that switch back to the SDFB, and I could hear the improvement in SQ immediately. It was less dramatic than my first impression earlier in the week, but it was there. Earlier today, I read The Other Lon's SDFB post and thought his words described my experience. When I restored the SDFB, I listened to the system for over three hours, and during that time, I felt more engaged and present with the music than I was without the SDFB. How to quantify that escapes me, but it is when you listen for a long time, and you smile more often in response to what you hear.

Although the SQ with the SR Purple fuse was excellent, there was less of a thrill. Unless I get motivated to experiment again later, the SDFB stays put.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #235 - 12/29/23 at 00:11:20

Thanks for weighing in Tony.

My system has a mix of Synergistic Research Purple and Audio Magic M-1 fuses (a nice blend) and I'm very happy with the resulting sound throughout--especially considering I also have a PS Audio P15 as the centerpiece of the electrical system, and Shunyata Research Defenders in play, and now a Shakti Stone "Air," Mad Scientist pieces, and RCA and XLR and BNC connections not in use covered with the surprisingly effective Telos Audio caps. . . my system has pretty clean power.

I know I'll submit to FOMO soon enough and try out the SDFB but til then I'm floored at the sound I am now getting.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #236 - 01/08/24 at 22:26:40

In recent years I have suspected that the tiny wire in a fuse could be a limiting factor in the overall sound of a stereo system. I’ve been buying and listening to the Synergetic Research fuses and have been impressed by the improvements they have made. I even bought one of their Master fuses to see what kind of a difference their best fuse could make. It is a leap above the Purple fuse in many ways although after about 150 hours of burn in, there is still an excessive brightness that still makes it difficult listening to.

The Swiss Digital fuse box, at least to my conceptual understanding, seemed like a potentially superior way to both protect the electronics without having to use a thin wire to achieve that aim. After about 55-60 hours with the fuse boxes installed, I would already consider it a major upgrade to my system.

Although both the SR Master fuse and the Swiss Digital fuse boxes provide characteristics that gets the sound closer to that in real life, the Swiss Digital fuse box goes further than the SR Master fuse so far in every characteristic that I have presently noticed.

Below is my initial take on the Swiss Digital fuse box with the attached Piggy Tail. My ZRock2 was taken out of my chain in order to eliminate its effects for this comparison.

What I first noticed was the music comes across as consistently energetic and live sounding. There is a distinct crispness in the leading edge of notes that adds to a sense of quickness. There is also an enhanced dynamic range in what appears to be both at the macro and micro levels. Large dynamic swings adds to a more life like listening experience.

The sound stage has become wider and deeper. With some recordings, made in larger spaces, the sound stage extends from wall to wall. The depth in the sound stage is deeper than I’ve ever heard before. With symphonic music, the sense that every instrument can be heard in its individual own space is outstanding. Choral music is as lifelike as I’ve ever heard on a system.

Bass appears to be deeper in overall tone and weight, as well as more articulate. There is clearly more low level resolution, even the quieter, more subtle bass lines, can be heard with distinct individual tonal and spatial characteristics. I’m hearing bass lines that I’ve never heard before, even with the SR Master fuse installed. The ways the bass drives the music has become quite exciting  and satisfying.

There is more high end energy in the musical signal and at times, with certain types of music, it can come across as excessive brightness. On much music, especially on acoustic and vocal music, the highs come across as natural and clear, without any excessive brightness.  Electronic music so far has been more of a mixed experience. I suspect a hot mastering of some music could be the root cause of my mixed results. Even with this occasional brightness, I’ve already decided that I would keep the SDFB in my system and adjust other things in my system if that is what it takes to remove this brightness. The other improvements the fuse boxes does it my system are so good, I would never want to go back.

I still have more burn in and listening to do. However at this point in time, I consider the Swiss Digital fuse box a groundbreaking product and a great bargain for the benefits it provides.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #237 - 01/08/24 at 22:56:36

Artman,

Well written and reviewed.  Thanks for taking the time to put your experience into words.

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #238 - 01/09/24 at 14:21:46

Good Morning

@ArtMan

I'm entirely grateful for your post here. Just makes it all quite worth-while for us here.

I'm smiling inside and out

Best wishes

Mark

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #239 - 01/09/24 at 18:43:05

Tony,

thanks for the acknowledgement. I was hearing many things happening that no one has yet reported on, such as the effects on the leading edge of notes. It has been a long time that I've had a system where the leading edge of notes was this good.

But it was the brightness, that others have reported, where I was getting the most mixed results. It took quite a bit of listening and burn in before I  became aware that the brightness was most noticeable for about the first hour after turning on my amplifier and then lessened considerably after that. The other was the brightness was more noticeable with rock and electronic music, although even with that, inconsistent.

I am usually quite sensitive to brightness but also prefer a system with extended and listenable highs. I would like to point out that the brightness reported may not be as bad as others may have hinted at. I would recommend a try, just make sure you get enough burn in before you judge its merits. I suspect the Piggytail is a significant part of this burn in.

Mark,

Well done. Synergistic Research has a new, major competitor although they may not be aware of it yet. I appreciate every thing you have done.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #240 - 01/09/24 at 20:14:14

@ArtMan

The reference is well appreciated

Ted D recently reminded many on Facebook that it was Audio Alchemy that loaned him the entirety of his system (except speakers) for his very first show back in '92 or '93. We know each other a long time. I genuinely like Ted a good deal.  l

I suspect that SDFB is on his radar - but with Master Fuses et all selling real well... I'm probably not much more than a small pimple Smiley

There are decisions coming re OEM and the new unit which is 220/240 and able to even do 32 amps MAX.

We are all very proud of SDFB -

MUCH More to follow

Best wishes - Mark

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #241 - 01/10/24 at 15:08:12

It is nearly 7:00 AM CA time, and no early morning posts?!  That's a first.  OK, let me make a humble contribution.  Above, regarding the SDFB, Artman said: "...such as the effects on the leading edge of notes."

I had not heard that phrase before, so I researched it some and came up with the following:

"When an audiophile compliments an audio system by saying "the leading edge of notes were excellent," they're praising its ability to accurately reproduce the initial attack and start of each musical note. It's a complex concept, but here's a breakdown:

Leading Edge: This refers to the initial attack and transient rise of a note, just as the sound begins. Think of it like the sharp edge of a knife slicing through the silence. It's often characterized by a burst of high-frequency energy and carries crucial information about the instrument and playing style.

Excellent Leading Edge: When an audio system excels in this area, it means it faithfully captures and reproduces this transient information without distortion or smearing. The result is:

Clarity and Definition: The note starts cleanly and precisely, without muddled or blurred attack. You can hear the distinct difference between the initial pluck of a guitar string, the tap of a drumstick, or the sharp intake of breath before a singer's phrase.

Attack and Decay: The system accurately portrays the rise and fall of the note's energy, allowing you to appreciate the full dynamic range and natural decay of the sound.

Rhythm and Precision: Good leading edge clarity contributes to a sense of rhythmic accuracy and pinpoint timing. Each note starts and ends precisely, creating a tight and well-defined soundscape.

Overall Impact: Excellent leading edge contributes significantly to the audio system's overall fidelity and realism. It creates a sense of liveliness and immediacy, drawing you closer to the music and making it feel more present and vibrant.

So, when an audiophile praises the leading edge of notes, they're appreciating the system's ability to capture and deliver the critical details that bring music to life and make it emotionally engaging."

Who knew? Smiley

And, for those of you that know more than this AI source, please add or correct.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #242 - 01/10/24 at 16:50:23

Just got my internet back--wind took it out last night, we had some high wind--at least it didn't take out our power, we've been pretty lucky the last two years.

I have plenty of leading edge definition in my system, have for a while. My cabling and my regenerator I think are mostly responsible for that, isolation treatment as well.

The mention of brightness keeps me hesitant towards the SDFB. With the electrical components and fuses I've installed and with a gift last week from Will. . . I've got more clarity and a natural tonal balance that I have expected to have . . . ever. So I'm going to keep enjoying that for now.

I'm grateful to all those supplying SDFB impressions.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #243 - 01/10/24 at 17:49:05

Tony,

I appreciate the clarification of the concept of the leading edge of notes. When describing something, I often struggle finding words to describe that something. Describing the very beginning of a note is one of those concepts I would hope to be somewhat intuitive. Your post described the concept with clarity with minimal ambiguity. The SDFB does the leading edge of notes very well, at least within the context of my system.  It is one of its many strengths.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #244 - 01/10/24 at 21:17:47

Artman. I have not commented on the FuseBoxes yet because I have some variables I have had to work out in my system first... an amp that has well over 400 hours, but is newish still with my habit of gradual  tuning toward careful system integration. Also my PSAudio P5 failed, so I am playing with power, another big sound force here. And finally, I wanted to get the SDFBs burnt in more, and more fully sonically integrated before going back to the fuses I was using before the SDFBs. I want to be able to articulate more clearly what each are doing from a pretty optimal sound.

Getting there, and my sound is really good at this point, in many ways the best I have heard. But there are several new things contributing, the SDFBs one of them. And there is still a little to go to get the sound I need. Then a comparison between the SDFBs and fuses will be illuminating.  

I can say though, that a few weeks ago, my initial experience was unusual, in that the SDFB change was good and bad. But my system was weighing a bit on the darker denser side for me anyway... and I am also thinking now, that my system already had been so fine tuned, it may have already had many of the qualities the Fuseboxes helped create for many? So I heard good things from them, but they took things like density and weight and bass too far, making the bass a little heavy, slow and a little separate, while slightly masking some of the other really nice traits the fusebox setups can bring in the lower mids... smooth clarity, ease, natural speed, harmonic complexity... and leaving the top pretty clear and sweet.

More on all that later, but the thing I started to write about.... after 20 hours or so, loving the SDFB on a lot of recordings, I was not quite able to tune my sound with tubes and cables to be great across recordings. Closish, but not there. So I thought I should make some copper sluggos to try in the place of the gold plated ones that came with my SDFBs. The copper had an immediate balancing effect... still a little big/full for me, especially on bigger/fuller recordings, but it became well balanced across the spectrum.

Then I got some coppers from Mark, and those kept a good spectral balance, and lightened up the sound some too...even closer.

But at that beginning point, in my system, in that state of tuning, the gold plated sluggo turned out to be dissociating the upper mids up as nicely clear and complex, from the mid bass down being heavy and slowish, and the "balance" making the mids really nice, if a little sweet for my ultimate tastes, my setup already a little sweet. It was really good on simpler recordings, but tending less so on complex recordings with a lot of bass especially, the mid-bass down overall tending to a little too thick and slow, and in contrast, the upper mids up, a little thin and clear by comparison, though still pretty smooth here. And again, this balance disparity dissolved with Verafi coppers.

Anyway, I was reminded of this reading about your issues with brightness. I agree, playing with cables and tubes might "fix it." But also, maybe different sluggos if you have not gone there?

So far, with good gain balances, I am not getting brightness from either gold or copper here... resolved and clear, but also smooth and dense while retaining textures... without feeling concentrated. But I have worked a long time to get highly resolved detail that is not hard. I am wondering if a change up might help you though???

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #245 - 01/10/24 at 21:47:42

That research you did was fun Tony.

I hope I can take these observations a little further by looking at what I think of as the fundamentals that cause these effects. I think the baseline qualities of musical presentation, the ones that create really convincing and transporting musical experiences, are all interrelated, dependent on each other. And good leading edges are made of these same musical qualities, refined enough that they lead to an enlivening, “realer” musical expression from a system and room…

"faithfully captures and reproduces this transient information without distortion or smearing.” is probably your best overall pointer to me.

I think distortion and smearing are family, in that distortions and smearing make the many complexities of sounds spread-out and grow fuzzy.... which in turn reduces resolution and definition... which in turn results in “smearing” the sound information into critical ”spaces.” This includes the space “inside” the more apparent musical sounds, and the space between the sounds…. space that ideally is empty.

The subtler finest detail is the most difficult to resolve, being delicate and easily damaged. But even if there, from a really good source, smearing and distortions that can come from lots of things in the system and the room, mess up the fine stuff that might have contributed to complexities that make the music feel “real.”

Systems complex, this can look like a daunting task in some ways, but also, looked at simply, if we can bit by bit resolve the finest stuff without damage, while retaining or enhancing musical balances, the signal is more complete throughout, more resolved… more complex, more “real.” And the more real it gets, the easier it is to hear what the sound is made of.

For me, learning to discern what I get from musical perception, not just hearing, but feeling the sound... helps me find issues and solutions more easily. In this more analytical mind, I finally came to hear the musical information almost like it is made up of “fine particles” of sound. And if the "particles" are somehow damaged, by distortions and smearing.... the particles muddle together more and concentrate, while the fuzzy stuff also expands into space that ideally would be empty.

So this is a very simple read in an analytical approach to finding solutions that rise out of a need to improve the musical experience. By linearizing perceptions into thoughts and words (and therefore understanding), discernment of the subtle qualities that create the musical experience seems to improve… And for me anyway, it takes practice to finally find that it is indeed all complex, but also pretty simple… the fundamentals probably being (musical) resolution, space, and speeds.

The fine information most fragile, it easily gets lost with lack of resolution. And it is easily beat up by smearing and distortions, or by just plain old overstatement... The signal can be good in most ways, but too strong, so more forced, harder and fuller... overwhelming complexity in the balances. But if balances are good, identifying these bad guys that murk up the sound and space makes it easier for me. By listening for the most delicate and fine information in space, or lack thereof, or by noticing them being present in some parts and not in other areas of the spectrum... a story is told.

And leading edges are great pointers for this. But also decays have edges between sound and space, so sensing how well the fine information gradually transitions is also a great tool, gradually leaving more and more space, and finally no decay sound... empty space… How long do they last, how coherent and complex are they… Related, how complete are the depth and complexity of textures… Also how are immediacy and definition relative to natural speed in all the layers of dynamics where “leading edges” live. When right, these things make the sound more alive, more real.

Pointing to how important undamaged resolution and undamaged space are for a realer musical experience.

Does the system/room resolve all the musical information on recordings into empty space, right down to the very finest details? Those finest details don’t show completely without clear space showing the edges of the sound. So if spectral imbalances are not in the way of hearing it (like muddled bass masking mids and highs), resolution and space are two sides of the same coin, one creating the other, and one revealing the other.

Most important…. the music…. This is the basis of this exploration for me... With really good resolution in really good space, the subtler stuff emerges, like breath, fingers or hammer pads on strings, decays and textures… harmonic complexity. And if the finest stuff is there, in good balances, the rest is, so we know we have a pretty complete signal. Also, to me, if the finest “particles” are resolved in good balances, it is not “detail,” it is a natural aspect of musical complexity, relaxing many of the harder notes with textures, and making leading edges and decays more real, more alive.

Leading to speed. There is more to speed in design, but to me lack of distortion and smearing play a big role in authentic and exciting dynamics. Balanced and excellent speed is made up of all the musical information as reflected by the space also, right? Good resolution in space lets us feel the all “edges” more immediately, the finest details in empty space contributing to our sense of immediacy and hit…. And interestingly, I find that really, really good speed across the spectrum actually makes the music sound slower… and for the same reasons it seems.

Often very subtle distortions and smearing are difficult to detect, but they “agitate” the sound and space. And by reducing them musically, the timing of the recording/signal is better expressed, making the music feel more “relaxed,” while also having the excitement of more immediacy. So speed, if done well, gives us more sense of natural immediacy and power with leading edges, and with all other dynamic contrasts….Good resolution, space, and speeds making it all more clear, more complex, more awake….more felt.

Anyway, it helps me find solutions if I can “amplify” my awareness of very fine detail information in space, including subtle aspects of speed… The bigger stuff more easily gets my attention, so I keep learning to perceive the more fragile little stuff in tuning. Finally, at least so far, all else in balance, I keep coming back to more resolution of finer detail in emptier space, leading to more articulate and complex “edges” of all types. With more complexity in balance, more is revealed with better time, creating immediacy, and making all other layers of speed and dynamics realer... And associated, with more complex harmonic edges… inside, on the edges of, and outside the notes…. the musical experience feels more convincing and more natural, more enchanting… easier to “fall into.”

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #246 - 01/11/24 at 22:23:17

Will,

My present strategy is to get more burn in time with my SDFB. I am only about 80 hours in now and figure I probably need 200 hours minimum before I make any decisions about what comes next, if anything. When I received my fuse boxes, it came standard with the copper sluggos and from what others have reported, I am fine with copper.

As far as brightness goes, it now rare that I feel any irritation or perceived brightness with anything I play. There are still some exceptions but all in all, it appears to be headed in the right direction. I still am aware of extra energy in the highs but it is being manifested into a more dense and defined sound stage, not necessarily into perceived brightness. Time is likely to tell me more.

All in all, I am having a great time just listening to music. I am enjoying this burn in phase more than I have with any other previous change to my system. The sound is both immediate and live sounding. At some point in the not too distant future, I will have more to say. It is an exciting time.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #247 - 01/26/24 at 00:17:09

I wanted to experiment a little with a different sluggo and was curious what silver would bring. I found https://www.goldenstatesilver.com, who sells high purity silver rods. I don’t recall if they were mentioned here before. I emailed asking for details and pricing for a pair of 20mm 4 gauge rods to use in place of 5x20 fuses. They were very familiar, having had several custom orders for this exact purpose. They advised they could flush cut the pieces and give a slight bevel to take off the edge and should work perfectly. Pricing was very reasonable for a pair.

Today I received the silver sluggos. They came with test data confirming purity of the pieces at 99.997% silver, 0.003% copper and 0.0002% tellurium. Nice touch! I’ve had them in for about an hour and the initial impressions are very, very favorable to me, giving what you would expect from silver. A touch of clarity, detail, finesse, without thinning the sound or harshness on the top. Transients seem slightly more defined as well. I’ll keep them in for a bit before swapping the gold immersed copper back in to compare. If you want to experiment with silver sluggos, I can highly recommend Golden State Silver.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #248 - 01/26/24 at 01:18:52

Good information, thanks for sharing your experiment.

What gauge did you choose?  

Tony

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #249 - 01/26/24 at 01:40:49

4 gauge is equivalent to 5mm. They’ll cut to 20mm length.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print