03/28/24 at 12:34:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Room treatment (Read 8614 times)
timstar
Verified Member

Room treatment
05/26/22 at 00:26:32

I recently hired Dennis from Acoustic Fields. Has anyone heard of him, liked or disliked his service?

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: Room treatment
Reply #1 - 05/26/22 at 02:29:47

I have an appointment for a free consultation coming up next month while I do my own research. Steve has three white papers on room treatment  theory, layout, diffusion, absorption etc gave me some idea, he ahared some formulas

Room Treatments Where do I start?
An introduction and overview of room treatments.

Optimal Listening Room dimensions
You could be sitting in a potentially perfect room and not know it.

How to setup a room without treatment
Another must read for anyone setting up a dedicated or semi-dedicated room.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/26/22 at 13:21:43

I briefly spoke with Dennis when I was buying acoustic foam from him. He is very direct and to the point. He was excited when we found a way for me to spend less money (spend less money with him.) After our call my take away is he really wants people to have great sound.

His foam is fantastic! I replaced 703 DIY panels with his foam and it was as, or more dramatic than putting the 703 panels in.

My brother has his diaphragmatic absorbers and they are incredible. I'm adding them to my system in the future.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #3 - 06/06/22 at 23:50:15

Groovey Sauce tomorrow I'm going to talk to Dennis for the 15 minute.
I'm not ready to buy but I'm leaning towards using his acoustic foam for my 90 inch iving room window recessed with a 13 inch shelf. That's my first target but I want to do a little research. I really like Geno's panels but I already spoke with the place in New Mexico that makes them.They're having shipping problems right now. I need be able to pull them back to the side for sunlight and fresh air. I think on something that large a few diffusers on parts of it too. That's something I'm gonna ask Dennis.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/22 at 11:17:49

BicycleJoe, Let us know what he suggests.

I'm recommending the Acoustic Fields foam. It is so much better than 703.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #5 - 06/11/22 at 19:37:31

@GroovySauce Took me a minute to go through all the information that Dennis shared with me but it comes down to him recommending his ACDA-10/12 Activated Carbon Diaphragmatic Absorber treatment because of low frequency. He shared that the foam is good for mid and high frequencies, but in a room like mine I need to worry about booming low frequencies. The day after we talked he created a new video that summarizes the information he shared. All this is for the room's front end.

https://youtu.be/jYNmNxqaSL4

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/21/22 at 18:15:49

Watched a video of Dennis talking about using only vertical diffusers on the back wall these days. My fiberglass ceiling tiles give me about 7.5' clearance in my room. With that low ceiling would using horizontal on the top or bottom part of the front wall be beneficial.

Planed on using 703 DIY panels on the back wall and to address the rest the absorption issues. Almost have the room empty to start..

Using the Acoustic Fields foam would put a big dent into my budget. Guess I'm sticking with the 703. The best I can do for now.

With the your front wall diffused Nigel does it affect your speaker placement? With a focus on soundstage boundaries? Moving speakers back and forth increase or decrease the benefits using the diffusers?

Thanks, Joseph

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #7 - 06/21/22 at 23:46:17

Dennis was real easy to talk to, he is more than opinionated.He is an authority and he knows his science. But to break it down to simple terms he recommends having a plan with a beginning, a middle. and an end where are you going to start what is your second area of concerns and what do you need to dostep by step. If you work in precise areas with a goal you know what to do. Where you want to go. What's your biggest problem area and what is the solution or the different solutions to consider. I'd have trouble raising my arms in your room, my biggest problem is the 90 inch three bay window in the front of my room. He was not afraid to say such and such is a waste of money, he clearly states that most people selling product and giving advice have never actually done a proper room but are educated in theory not practice.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/22 at 01:12:13

Hi BicycleJoe,

I'm 6' tall and can't raise my arms all the way up in my room. Have a plan , did a little home work last night. Found the areas that needed to be addressed with absorption. Rubbermaid 6' lockers filled with blankets and quilts moved about in the room. Have the room empty almost and was able to move my speakers into a new location. My plans started 2 years ago when I painted this room 36'x20' with some little out coves. Painted a lot of empty rooms in my day to realize this would be fantastic room for a HIFI system. Don't have any windows to worry about. Asbestos tile with few coats of paint must help with reflection.

Front wall diffusion: My thinking it's going adjust the front boundary. Plan is doing a whole wall buildout. My son's been helping and wants to get his hands dirty so win win for sure. So far we are all very happy with the direction it's going. Been out voted so a 70" TV will be living on that wall. So that is one problem to overcome.

All in all back in the day people used curtains and drapes in the rooms with artsy tapestries hanging on the walls . 1973 sounded real good. Now that I'm aware of where that sound came from things are looking bright. lol

Thanks,

Joseph

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/29/22 at 13:48:36

I had a chat with Dennis yesterday.  My problem frequencies ranged from 48Hz to 215Hz (48Hz at 1300% over flat, 51Hz at 900Hz and a dip of 72Hz under flat.  This is with room dimensions of 11X9X23 and use of 12in or 15 Altec coax drivers.  He recommended use of Carbon Absorption Panels to address 125Hz and below.  I ran out of time to discuss alternatives such as Acoustic Field Foam that GS recommended.  Or use different low frequency drivers.....Certainly, the investment of 12 of these Carbon Absorption Panels is way out of my budget (provide an 80% solution).  I could incrementally build up but even then, I would have to consider the cost benefit of these vs the acoustic foams and use different drivers.  For those of have used the room analysis, it would be interesting to know if your LF drivers and/or room dimensions drove the recommendation from Dennis.  My length was fine but the width and height were problematic.  It might be worth building a shed with the ideal dimensions rather than investing on acoustic panels.  Bottom line, with the information that I got from Dennis was hugely beneficial along with his videos and literature.  I can weigh my options and go from there.  This is what makes this so much fun!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/29/22 at 14:32:48

I highly recommend Acoustic Fields foam. The foam is for mid and high frequencies.

According to Dennis stacking the foam 3+ sheets thick will start to manage lower frequencies. He offers a product for the ceiling—CPA Ceiling Perforated Absorber that looks like he took a sheet of peg board and stacked 3 pieces of foam on it. If there is peg board between the layers of foam I do not know. Stated absorption is down to 65hz.

If you are handy you might try making a similar design for managing upper bass.

I’m moving into a new home. The room I’m going to use for the stereo is 20x40x8 with a “low” vaulted ceiling.

I’m going to be adding ~20 of the Carbon Panels. Dennis will be getting back to me next week with a plan.

Bass is some powerful stuff! Car stereos 100’s of feet away can be heard thumping inside a house.

The room “sees” energy. Dimensions drive the treatment more than speaker size. If there is a +12db peak at 40hz I don’t think it matters if it was generated by 1x 12”, 4x 6" or 4x 15” drivers.

He never said anything about 8x 15” drivers. If I had a 12x16x8 room he might have mentioned something about too many drivers?

In a shed you will need to manage the low frequencies. What about noise reduction from outside? If going the shed route spray foam insulation is the way to go. In your current home Retrofoam injection insulation will lower outside noise transmission and give better insulation, win win!

Joseph, Consider building a rig with absorption that is easy to move. Place it in front of the TV when not in use.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/29/22 at 16:53:14

GS,
Thanks for that!  That is a lot of Carbon panels for your new listening room.  Your explanation of LF drivers vs room dimension makes sense to me.  Now it is a matter of Carbon panels or multiple layers of Acoustic Foam to address the lower frequencies!  I believe you mentioned that you used 703's before.  Qualitatively, is the performance benefit of the acoustic foam worth the extra cost?  Thanks again!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/30/22 at 00:07:06

Bob, Yes it’s a ton of absorption! Cheesy (actually 2 tons.) They weigh 200 lbs each!

I did and still do have DIY 703 based absorbers in my room.

Often people will comment that when too much treatment is used the room starts to sound dead and dark. That is the sound of 703.

I slowly added the DIY 703 panels. 2-4 at at time. I got to a point where the sound stopped getting better and started to notice the limitations of the treatment.

Removing 4 of the DIY 703 and replacing them with larger 25x72" the room took a large jump in sonics. The dead and dark that was creeping in was gone. Subtle nuances came out in the mid and highs. The depth of detail and information  is spectacular.

I’m very excited to get rid of all the 703 and use exclusively Acoustic Fields Foam.

4 Carbon panels might provide significant improvement. Add in an order of the foam and you might have your socks knocked off! ? Treating the first reflection points and a bit of LF absorption should be really sweet.

Due to supply chain issues the DIY foam is only available in XL sheets 55x75”. If you are comfortable with DIY. That would be the cheapest option.

If you buy the Foam Frame Panel they are spendy.

If possible go with Acoustics Fields Foam. It is far superior to 703. If budget is an issue I would suggest wait and getting the foam when finances allow it.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/30/22 at 04:39:40

Interesting, Groovy.
I have removed three of my DIY panels as well. I had eight once I kludged them all together. Plus two round face corner stacks of 705.
Corner stacks stay for now.

I was nearing conniption at first because of two window walls with which to contend and trying to manage bridling that some. I put too much absorption in my room at first.
My settled listening showed that I had gone a little overboard with the materials at first.

I have kind of found myself within the Grimani idea set that you should have an asymmetrical room and I already had that in spades. Learning what to tame has been the lesson I had to attend.

Things are better now and I just messed with it all again, but it's coming together.
Together enough that I can focus on getting my cables in better shape next.

Still, I want to try some of the Acoustic Fields Foam!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/30/22 at 12:35:41

DD, What did you observe when you had too much absorption?

BicycleJoe, Have you come up with a plan?

703 does work for increasing resolution and reducing reverb time. If the Acoustic Fields Foam is out of the question the 703 panels are worth it. It's a fine line with the 703 until it starts to mess with the sound.

When setting up in an asymmetrical room it seems like a crap shoot. Some people have really good results and others not so good. Some folks recommend setting up in an asymmetrical room.

When I had a symmetrical room I had the best sound stage I've ever experienced. Currently in an asymmetrical room the sound stage shifts with volume level. The sound stage is more expansive on one side than the other. It's also out of body experience good! If only perfection was the goal then there would be no happiness.

The challenge is that there is no perfect room. Everything is a trade off. Even if you have control of 100% of the design, dimensions and treatment it is not going to be perfect. There are trade offs.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/30/22 at 12:37:31

GS,
Thanks!  Dennis did mention that these were heavy!  As always, your sound advice is helping me make the right decision.  Acoustic Fields foam/DIY it is!
Bob

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/30/22 at 13:21:39

Groovy, I'm still working on things.
You know how we all try to describe that air between instruments and how we actually listen to the "quiet" as much as the sound. The quiet was beginning to feel wrong.
Too much fluff was like that feeling you get when you're on an airplane and you can still hear fine, you think, but then you swallow and things open up.
It sounded like I needed to swallow.

Even in small rooms, I believe there still needs to be a degree of ambience. The speakers can't do it all. My mind felt like my ears were lying to me when I had too much fluff in there.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/30/22 at 16:32:48

Quote:
Even in small rooms, I believe there still needs to be a degree of ambience.

Good point DD, great discussion.

Thanks all

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/04/22 at 21:03:50

Bob, I’m looking forward to hearing about your project, please update us.

DD, Very well said. Similar experience after I installed too many 703 panels.

One thing that makes a great room is that it feels pleasant to be in it. Some home theater demo rooms feel wrong when you walk in.

The plans have changed for my new listening room. The room I’m going to use for the stereo is much smaller than I was told. It’s actually 19x27x8-10’ vaulted ceiling goes to 10 foot in the center.

Dennis worked up a treatment plan for me. Tomorrow we will complete it. Then I need to wait a few months. Glad it’s not as long as the Decware waitlist!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #19 - 07/05/22 at 00:49:06

Hey GS, Happy Fourth!

Does the vaulted ceiling tend to be problematic or offer some room treatment benefits?  After meeting with Dennis, I would love to see the plans you draw up for the room.  Please post if you can.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/05/22 at 22:32:20

Tony, Thank you!

I asked about the vaulted ceiling. He said it didn't change much. It will give me a little more room when hanging the overhead treatment which will be nice.

He didn’t provide a drawing, I also didn’t ask. Once I have the treatment he will instruct me where to place it. My guess is it will be 2 QDA-17 + 4 ACDA-10 on the front wall. 2 QDA-17 + 2 ACDA-10 on the rear wall. 7 CP on each side focusing placement closer to the front wall.

6 - ACDA-10,  Front / Rear wall
https://www.acousticfields.com/product/acda-10-studio/

4 - QDA-17,  Front / Rear walls
https://www.acousticfields.com/product/qda-17-quadratic-diffusor-absorber/

14 - Carbon Panels, Sidewalls
https://www.acousticfields.com/product/carbon-panel/

3 - CPA,  Ceiling
https://www.acousticfields.com/product/cpa-ceiling-perforated-absorber/

A quote from Dennis. “This room will have the resolution of a near field set up with a room that sounds twice as large as its physical dimensions.” On the phone he said that with the diffusion it’s going to be close to the resolution of a mastering room.

I'm going to have non-expanding foam insulation injected into the walls and ceiling of my home. It will increase the R value and make the room / house more quiet from outside noise. This is my doing, not from Dennis.

I’m very excited to get the room setup! I’ve been dreaming of a room like this for a very long time.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/05/22 at 22:54:45

GS,

Congratulations on the new digs. That treatment system will undoubtedly give you a great listening room. Enjoy it!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22 - 07/06/22 at 03:15:39

Groovey Sauce asked
Quote:
BicycleJoe, Have you come up with a plan?

For now just for my front wall and window, diy carbon panels low end and acoustic foam on the windows, when I get my JBL's back from getting the surrounds redone and the crossovers upgraded  I'll be able to start taking measurements for the rest of the room.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/06/22 at 11:57:34

HK, Thank you. The other day I realized it has been over a year of looking for a new home.

BicycleJoe, sounds like a good plan. I bet covering the large window alone will bring a lot of improvement. Taking on the construction of the carbon absorbers is impressive! Looking forward to progress updates.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #24 - 07/06/22 at 17:29:19

GS said:

I realized it has been over a year of looking for a new home

What took so long? First, find a place that has a good room that can become the best listening room ever. Everything else is optional,   bedrooms, kitchens, garage, etc.   Smiley

Tony (also, congrats)

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/06/22 at 18:20:06

Lolling you here, but you have never had a home taken from you by Imminent Domain laws, I would bet.
You may not have more than a couple of months to do everything. Taking a year to find a home seems like normal to me.

In my case, I felt like the insane housing market in our area would be OK. I am selling a home (to the city) and buying one (for the rest of my life).
The insanity of the market should balance out, right? We won't be affected much, right?
Not so.

If I had not had a substantial bit set aside for my retirement (some of which is gone now, invested in a new home), we would be in the same boat as twenty seven other families, six businesses and a church who have been displaced by this latest city project.
We were in the way of progress; it happens. Hey, the city needs the project to go forth!
We made the best of it. We won! We managed to upgrade. Not all will win in this transformation of the city to modern concerns.

Finding a home can be more complicated than you jest.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 07/06/22 at 18:29:40

Groovy, bless you, Man, and good luck with your new digs!!

After six months, I'm still finding things to spend even more on.
All the BIG stuff was good to go, but replacing a ten year old water softening/treatment system and such is a something (cost as much as a Tori).
Small somethings.

But, we are happy!
Hope you are, too!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/06/22 at 19:52:03

Thank you all for the well wishes!

Quote:
What took so long? First, find a place that has a good room that can become the best listening room ever. Everything else is optional,   bedrooms, kitchens, garage, etc.   Smiley

Tony, there is a lot of truth in that statement!

I was looking at building an outbuilding and have that be a dedicated music room. The search was more difficult because I had a few other considerations. I ended up with almost everything I wanted. The home has a nice view of the Smoky Mountains, which is appreciated.

Same Old DD, That sounds like a rough experience. Glad it worked out in the end. Yes, the small things do keep ya on your toes.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 08/27/22 at 21:50:40

Rather than beginning a new thread, I am taking advantage of the nice generic name of this one and adding a thought and question of my own.

I had decided to go with Grimani's Sonitus brand of Decosorber Mini Eva Acoustical Absorber for my ceiling.

I think I can make a really unobtrusive, pleasant looking gridwork of juxtopposed panels attached to the ceiling. I was going to order one set of twelve as a start and build upon that if needed and as I can budget.

Has anyone tried these perforated front panel deco looking products, anywhere, ceiling or walls? Available in many sizes and styles, but all seem to be out of stock.

I noticed a lot of the products they offer were "Out Of Stock" so I assumed that most larger products are made to order and with quick consultation available, no need for vast stocks of products, right?

I start to check out and it clearly states "sold in quantities of 12." No problem, that's a good start, but I did not want to order twelve dozen. I tried 1 and they are not sold in that qty, so I try 12 and the "Add To Cart" grays out and nothing more is available to change.
So, I cancel and try again. Hoping it is just that the Walnut color variety is out of stock, but same deal.

I am hoping they are just having a bad day at their site and things are normal tomorrow, but I am troubled about literally EVERYTHING showing as out of stock.

Anyone dealt with Sonitus recently?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #29 - 08/28/22 at 18:10:14

Hi Same Old DD,

I had not heard of Sonitus USA until you mentioned them.  They are not far from Berkeley, and I thought I might drive there next week and see what they offer.  I'll check with them first to make sure that works, but since they are so close...

If I can drop in on them, do you want me to ask any questions for you?  Like what's the deal with "out of stock," and when will they be in stock?

I'm currently talking with John (john.d@gikacoustics.com); he has been very helpful.  Kamran, on the forum, brought GIK to my awareness and gave them thumbs up.  

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/28/22 at 19:27:08

Thanks, Tony, but either their system works in a day or two or I'll continue to look elswhere as well.
This is not something I have tried before, so it will be a blind buy to assess. I tend to do that a lot. That's the only way I know to truly evaluate something I think I might want.

I am still a little enamoured with the PIAudio panels that Geno is using.

Hey, thanks, though. I'll cool my heels a bit. Other distractions continue for a while longer.
I am in no hurry.

That would be amazing to actually be able to go there and maybe meet The Guy behind these products.
I've only seen him on the internet, but I've learned a lot just trying to understand what he has shared.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #31 - 08/28/22 at 19:49:32

Got it.  

Ask Geno who he dealt with.  Last year after weeks of unsuccessful attempts to get assistance and purchase from PIAudio, I gave up.  Geno and others, however, seem to have had a good connection with someone there.  That's who you want.

Good luck,
Tony

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #32 - 08/28/22 at 20:24:56

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisai607-pi-audio-group-diffusers-room-treatme...

Back in June I spoke with them it seems they are having shipping problems from their suppliers but this is a new ad for August.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #33 - 08/29/22 at 00:57:23

DD, and all,

I dealt with Greg Rael with Pi Audio.

His email is  g.rael@comcast.net

Best,

Geno