04/19/24 at 01:22:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baffle Treatment? (Read 1540 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Baffle Treatment?
10/23/22 at 16:32:49

Letting the thoughts flow while I listen and staring at these giant f15 monolith open baffles… would there be any benefit to treating the baffle, front and/or back? It just seems like a giant reflective surface. Has anyone ever mounted the speaker directly into diffuser panel? Or applied absorption to the face of the baffle?
I’m no expert, just thinking out loud and collecting others opinions before going down the next project rabbit hole.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Baffle Treatment?
Reply #1 - 10/24/22 at 16:41:10

I have treated my ERR baffles with the Marigo VTS Tuning Green Dots.  Forum member Will turned me on to them.  They are used to help with imaging, focus and help dissipate vibrational energy.  It was remarkable how well they worked.  They can be over applied…so make sure you follow the instructions.  

They are hard to come by these days…. And there are knock off out there.  It took some digging but I found them last year.  It looks like they have renamed them now….here is the link.

http://marigoaudio.com/z-dot-application/

Hope this helps

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/22 at 16:45:09

Thanks, Dom. I’m surprised that those little things make a difference but I’ll look further into them. Certainly not the greatest addition from an aesthetic aspect.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 10/26/22 at 05:44:49

Yes they do make a difference.  What I would do is make a small playlist of music that you like to listen to and play it for a while so you can grasp the sound. Then add one dot and listen for the next few weeks.   Then add a second dot and hear how the sound changes.  At some point you will add a dot and the sound will flatten out.   That’s when you know you are maxed out….remove that last dot and you are good.  I believe it explains it all in the instructions.  

Make sure you are doing critical listening and it not be just background music.  The change was very noticeable.  Here is a link to a review….

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue1/marigovtsdots.htm

Here is a quick pic of the dots I had bought …

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/22 at 03:00:25

Oh, I see, these micro dots just go on the speaker cone. Interesting. I was thinking more about the big face and back of the baffle in my original post but these dots are another direction worth pursuing. Still interested in baffle treatment too.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 10/30/22 at 17:43:04

If a sound deadening effect is what you want, try Acoust-X sound damping coating. I have used it in speaker builds with great success. Obviously, it would be applied to the back of the baffle where it could not be seen. I imagine that in these open baffle designs the edges of the baffle vibrates since it does not have the same support of a cabinet. Then again maybe that is part of the design that works for you.
My only experience with open baffle is Steve's ZOB design, that had great support, and led me into loving the OB sound.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print