Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:09:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker advice for Zen Triode (Read 1602 times)
Art L
Verified Member

Speaker advice for Zen Triode
05/14/21 at 12:30:48

I've just ordered a Zen Triode amp (SE84UFO2 and want to also get some (relatively inexpensive) appropriate hi-efficiency speakers and would welcome some help.

So far, I am looking at these (all ~ $1K per pair:
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F
Sensitivity = 98db
Impedance = 12 ohm

Zu Omen Dirty Weekend
Sensitivity = 97db
Impedance = 12 ohm

Decware model DM945
Sensitivity = 94DB
Impedance = 6 OHM

thx

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker advice for Zen Triode
Reply #1 - 05/14/21 at 13:25:07

Art,

Tell us a bit about your listening space? Size, furniture, windows, listening distance, equipment positioning (tall rack in between speakers?)... This would be helpful in making a recommendation.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 05/14/21 at 15:31:55

DM945 is the choice there.

Decware amps like low impedance.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Art L
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/14/21 at 20:21:32

Listening space is small bedroom. 10x12 or so.
1 window, bed and dresser. Amp, cd plater, turntable on top of dresser.
Tall bookshelf on each side, speakers would be in the bookshelf - approx chest high (my chest, about 4.5 ft.
Listening position is not ideal - probably on one side of room, next to window, about 5 ft. from speakers.

Also, I read or heard somewhere that in addition to high sensitivity, higher impedance (10-16 ohm) is better for flea powered amps then low impedance. Is that true?

Thx

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/14/21 at 20:41:23

So you have a small listening room with placement of speakers close to a rear wall on shelves.

I suggest you check out Omega's single driver offerings. They pair exceeding well with the Decware Zen amplifier. The Super 7 monitor is $995. Check out the speaker dimensions to see if it will fit.

If you decide to go this route, have Louis the owner configure the speaker with a front port not the normal rear port. Here is a link to additional information.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/15/21 at 04:27:27

I can speak only to the Zus. I'm on my third pair, and my current Druid Vs are the end end game for me, so count me as a fanboy.

That said, given your amp and room I would recommend against the Dirty Weekends. I won't go so far as to say Zu overstates their sensitivity, but my experience is that they love way more power than you would surmise from their specs. I started with an Almarro A205 with my Druid IVs, which have mostly the same drivers as the DWs in a different box, and while they sounded great at low volumes they ran out of steam quickly. I graduated to the Decware SE34i.2+ with Druid IV/08s, which were way better but still not quite up to the task with my prog stuff at the volumes I sometimes like. The Torii with the Druid Vs (I bought them as a package with a CSP3) were incredible with anything I threw at them.

Bottom line for me? The Zus sound way better with power, in spite of their specs.

The other issue is your 10x12 room. My original Zus were in a room that size and I ran them close to the walls, because with the low power amp the bass was better with them in the corners. After we moved I have a much bigger room and they sound WAY better moved out into the room, which really isn't possible in a 10x12 space. The Omegas with the front port may be a way better choice.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/21/21 at 21:19:17

I tried my 945s on a stand 2' off the wall before I tried them in their Monolith pedestal and in my case the woofers really like loading some air impedance with better mid bass levels. You could probably achieve a similar result by using two inches of acoustic foam between the back and the bookcase…that's based on a guess your shelves are 12” deep and you'd leave off the grills. The 945s are 11” deep including the grill.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/03/21 at 13:47:22

@ HockessinKid
Looking at the Omega website and things look pretty stagnant on there.
Do you know if he is still in business?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/03/21 at 17:09:52

I believe so. Best to give Louis a call. He's always busy and doesn't have a lot of time to update the website or respond to email inquiries.

HK

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/04/21 at 02:15:10

Core32 wrote on 09/03/21 at 13:47:22:
Looking at the Omega website and things look pretty stagnant on there.
Do you know if he is still in business?

Why does it seem stagnant?

AFAIK he is a one man show.
He builds speakers to order.
He also builds "extra" speakers from time to time, these and possibly canceled orders are added to his "available now" store.
2 new pairs have been added and sold since the last time I looked maybe a week or so ago.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print