Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 23:16:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii Audio F-12 vs F-15 vs vintage RCA 12' speakers (Read 3884 times)
rmeinke
Verified Member

Lii Audio F-12 vs F-15 vs vintage RCA 12' speakers
02/13/21 at 16:55:14

Hello gang,
I have been listening to vintage RCA 12s in OB the last few months and am enjoying them immensely.  Always interested in trying new widebanders and the Lii Audio F-12 and F-15 interest me.

Has anyone listened to both the F-12 and F-15? I've never listened to a full-range speaker over 12" and have always tended to lean to smaller speakers but these vintage 12s from consoles have changed that.  I know it's all a matter of taste, but would so appreciate anyone being able to articulate the differences between the 12 and 15 and even better yet if anyone has listened to old RCA 12 from the mid 50's to early '60s.

I know this is very opened ended and responses will vary enormously, but I'm just so interested in what a modern widebander can do compared to vintage drivers.

Many thanks,
Rich  

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Lii Audio F-12 vs F-15 vs vintage RCA 12' speakers
Reply #1 - 02/14/21 at 01:15:56

Hi rmeinke,

Welcome to the forum!  I have heard all three. Those console woofers had a unique sound that came from three things; A surround that was so tight it almost wouldn't move, a curvilinear paper cone and a small voice coil. The voice coil windings never left the magnet field of the gap, quite unlike today's hi-fi woofers where at least 1/2 or more of the coil is always outside the gap.

The F15 is the first driver I have heard that sounds like those old large console woofers.  It's tight, it hits and is very smooth through its range.  The F12 is also pretty smooth and warmer but sounds like a hi-fi woofer.  It's not tight.  It doesn't hit.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
rmeinke
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/14/21 at 04:31:22

Thanks for the welcome Steve, its been a pleasure reading across the site and forums; a very energetic community that is especially engaging.

I really appreciate your comments on the F12 vs F15. The 12s very high mechanical Q, lower Fs, and efficiency are a bit of a giveaway thou I am sure they sound nice, but you know what I am listening to and know why I enjoy them so much. The 15s lower mech Q, Mms, and higher fs/efficiency are much closer to the antique speakers of the '50s and assume that these parameters may be responsible for the 15s sounding similar. Under 14g Mms is... arresting... the small 8" Visaton B200 are only 4g less is crazy.  Totally appreciate your "hit" description!  I love that "hit" qualification, spot on.  May I also assume that transparency and detail retrieval (in a natural, relaxed way) are also qualities that the 15 possess?  Gotta say... that is an exciting prospect in a modern driver!  Darn you, Steve!  :-)

Thank you again for your reply... can't tell you how much I appreciate your clear and honest assessment, well done sir!!

Rich

IP Logged
hallcon83
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/26/22 at 12:10:21

-  Hi Rich , Steve is probably off somewhere answering more questions - lol

- I am in the middle of making a decision of which Lii Audio Speaker driver to get as well.

- I asked around to see if anyone had had both of the drivers - ( the Crystal 10 - now the improved  Silver 10  ,  and the F15 - which they have also just improved the magnet on it as well!!)

And the guys had me get in touch with a forum member named Palomino - So I posted his reply in that thread...

-- Here is that link:

-  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1647963855/4#4

----------

-  And I don't know if you have read through Steve's first design and build of the ZF15L - (which is the F15 in the largest baffle) , but if you go read at least the first - 2 or 3 pages of that thread Steve gives some Really Great reviews and incites into the F15's  and  Crystal 10 drivers which will also help answer your questions too!

- here is the Link:

-  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1561942815

- Kind regards, Dean

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print