Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:06:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice sought for SE84UFO25 (Read 10200 times)
Mamu
Verified Member

Advice sought for SE84UFO25
12/21/20 at 23:47:41

Hello everyone

I ordered SE84UFO25 couple of weeks ago.  I realize it will take some time to arrive and in the meantime I would like to get few things sorted.  As you are all aware buying audio gets quite complicated as it is usually fairly expensive and auditioning the combinations of each and every piece is virtually impossible.  So that’s when you hope to get honest, professional opinion.

First speakers.  I haven’t bought them as yet.  I am looking at couple of options with specs below

Speaker 1 (three way)
Cabinet: 44”h x 12”w x 16”d transmission line
Power Handling: 140 wrms
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 26 -- 30,000 Hertz +/-2dB
Sensitivity: 96dB 1w/1m
Drivers: 10 inch professional super efficient long throw woofer with double magnet; 6 inch efficient ultra smooth and detailed non-inductive midrange; efficient smooth large 1.1 inch wave guide dome tweeter

Speaker 2 (two way)
Cabinet: 36”h x 9.5”w x 12”d transmission line
Power Handling: 80 wrms
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 35 -- 30,000 Hertz +/-2dB
Sensitivity: 97dB 1w/1m
Drivers: 8 inch professional very high efficiency woofer with large neodymium magnets; large smooth 1.1 inch ring radiator tweeter with neodymium magnets.

They are with crossovers but I hope their relatively high sensitivity should be enough to be driven by 2.3 watts of SE84UFO25 at acceptable levels and by ‘acceptable’ I don’t mean wall crumbling roar.  I would say my leaving room is a bit larger than average though.  

Second is my DAC.  I’ve decided to run SE84UFO25 without pre-amp for some time.  My DAC has three output voltages available to choose: 1v, 2v and 3v.  Input voltage of SE84UFO25 according to specs is 1.5v.  Which output voltage should I set my DAC to?  Should it be 2v or 3v? And if I set the DAC to either 2 or 3, would it damage the amp as both are higher than 1.5v input voltage?

Looking forward to advice and guidance.

Thanks
Mamuka

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Advice sought for SE84UFO25
Reply #1 - 12/22/20 at 01:14:13

You should consider pursuing true high efficiency speakers rather than those  crossover burdened lyin-ass spec speakers you are being seduced by. Why not look at a DNA2 pair here, or the Zen Master 15”?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 12/22/20 at 01:30:45

Please tell us what speakers you are looking at and what your DAC is.

It is ok to talk about other manufacturers in here!

But as Rivieraranch said, some speaker builders are a little "optimistic " in their measurements.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/22/20 at 02:14:33

I have the SE84UFO25 paired with some 7 year old Omega single driver speakers. The synergy between these 2 components is amazing.

I think when using a low power SET amp like the "25th anniversary" one is better off with a good pair of single driver speakers. I think a lot of members of this forum would tell you the same thing.

Years ago before I got into the low watt SET and single driver speakers concept.
I had a PP high power tube amp from a very reputable amp company and good 2 way speakers.

I never really liked the system as I had to play at (for me) very high levels of volume to get the detail and nuance of the tune.

I think in my case I prefer the single driver crossover less speaker because the signal does not get trapped in the crossover at low level volume and all the detail that an amp like the 25th can produce is not lost.

In my humble opinion I think you should consider the crossover less  single driver speaker concept with an amp like the SE84UFO25

Decware has great speakers of this sort and Steve will be happy to talk to you about it and he won't BS you.

Also Check out the Omega speaker web site https://omegaloudspeakers.com/
Louis (the owner and designer) will talk to you as well.

Just a phone call away

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/22/20 at 02:27:41

Thanks for replies.
Sorry, forgot to mention - I am from Australia
Speakers are from a local manufacturer, hand made with very good reputation and reviews.
DAC is Chord Qutest.
I did consider DNA2 but with shipping costs and all the rest it got a bit tight on my budget.  I am still looking at original DNA though

Mamuka

IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/20 at 02:34:39

Thanks Bob,

actually Omega is on my radar as well and I am glad to hear they perform well with SE84UFO25, plus they are quite affordable.

Mamuka

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/22/20 at 03:03:15

Hi Mamuka How are things down under ?

2 years ago I did a major upgrade I got a new dac and the 25th.

I thought I might have had to upgrade the speakers as well. I was not sure if they could keep up with the new audio big dogs.

I can tell you that those omega's really rose to the occasion. The omega's were just waiting for the right gear to show just how great they are.

I had been giving some thought about the possibly of getting some new speakers but after listening to the omega's night after night I will just keep the money in my pocket.

Having said all that I will tell you this, I spoke to Louis last year and he told me his new flagship speaker is even better then his old stuff.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Re: Advice sought for SE84UFO25combo
Reply #7 - 12/22/20 at 06:08:49

Hi Bob,

Your enthusiasm for Omegas is contagious, makes me think more about them.  Actually I remember from my teenage years listening to a simple turntable full range speaker combination and how effortless the sound was.  I guess I have been in pursuit of that feeling ever since.

Just looking at Omega Junior 8 XRS and Super 8 XRS and wonder why super costs $1000 more when specs are almost the same apart from dimensions and few DBs at the bottom end. I could probably stretch my budget by that much if I knew I was getting value for money

Thanks
Mamuka

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/22/20 at 10:28:45

Don't get trapped by specifications. In the end they might not mean much. It is how a piece of equipment sounds, not the specs that govern.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/22/20 at 16:06:57

Mamu, Welcome.

Are the speakers something you can get an in home demo with? or can you bring the amp to a dealer to see how they play together? If so, I would wait until you receive the amp and do that. If only I would follow this advice myself I would be much happier...  ;D

As far as the voltage out from your DAC. try all three and see which you like the most. The SE84UFO25TH has a volume control (attenuator) so you can feed it a lot of volts and be fine. Start with UFO volume off with music playing and slowly turn it up.

The CSP3 can output up to 30v and it sounds amazing with the SE84UFO25th. 3v is fine.

There is something about a quality preamp that adds some magic to the musical experience. Sound stage width, depth and richness. So once you get settled in and have got everything sounding good look into a quality pre.

You will know when the amp is at it's limits first the needles will start dancing, then the VR tubes will start to blink.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/22/20 at 16:16:52

Hi Mamuka

I have always believed you get what you pay for but I also know that's not always the case.

It is a difficult decision especially since omega speaker does not have a return policy. (as far as I know)

I think you should contact Louis and have him explain what is the difference between the 2 speakers and what is the justification for the $1000.00

I really like my speakers but I think the main point I was trying to get at was the concept of low watt SET tube amp and single driver speakers.

There may single driver alternatives where you could listen at home for a period of time before you commit to the purchase. Do the research and read all the reviews. "google is your friend"

Anyway Good Luck on your speaker journey you have already bought the greatest amp in the world as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/22/20 at 17:46:00

Maybe Tekton has something he could look at?

55   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/22/20 at 20:02:15

+1 here, on Decware amplification & Omega singer driver spkrs, big time.

The marriage makes my face ripple and my mind bend in a thousand different ways. Its liquid gorgeous.

IP Logged
Abunadh
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 12/22/20 at 23:56:38

According to Lii Audio's website, they ship to "main Australian cities" which means you could purchase the same speakers (Silver 10) that Mr. Deckert is currently going gaga over! And I think he is using Decware equipment.  ;)

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-10-inch-full-range-drivers-and-cabine...

"I don't like it but I guess I'm learning" (Shock the Monkey - Peter Gabriel)
  IP Logged
Abunadh
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 12/23/20 at 00:28:29

I should probably add that I have the SE84UFO2 with the type II caps and the bypass mod along with these exact cabinets and the previous flagship Crystal 10 driver.  I can confirm that Steve is correct when he writes that it mindblowing to hear the bass performance from these speakers rattle the walls and shelves with with only 2.3 watts. The experience is quite the kick in the pants!

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/23/20 at 01:22:15

Hi Mamuka

I think Abunadh is giving you excellent advice on this matter.
If and when I do decide to get new speakers I would seriously consider the Lii Audio 10" driver speaker that Abunadh has posted a link to in the previous post.

I would possibly buy those speakers based on Steve Deckert's reviews on them for the last year or so. He has absolutely raved about them. In fact Steve likes them so much he sells them on the Decware website.

Lii audio also has a return policy and I think that is important if you have to buy something without hearing it first.
https://www.lii-audio.com/policies/

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 12/23/20 at 03:13:06

Thank you all for your replies.

I realise I have to make decision and I feel like I'll go for Lii Audio speakers.

Cheers
Mamuka

IP Logged
Abunadh
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 12/23/20 at 05:17:10

I also have some unsolicited advice that you won't want to read because it involves you spending more money, but I truly believe you will be thankful when all is said and done. Add a z-rock with all the mods (to match the performance of your amp) to your order.

I don't care how good a person's speakers are, there is no accounting for how each recording is mixed and mastered and the zrock is a magical box that will allow you to fully realize how good the rest of your equipment really is. I like to say that it really "puts the meat on the bone" .

Hate me now but you'll be sending me a thank you note later.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/23/20 at 12:16:29

'Lil Audio it is!

55   IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/23/20 at 15:56:47

Hi Mamuka

When you get everything hooked up and settled in let us know what you think.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 12/23/20 at 21:53:42

Hi Bob,

Of course I will, it will be a while to wait though, but with little bit of patience I'll get there.  Thank you all again for your opinions and advice.

Now I need to start negotiations with my better half to secure real estate in the living room for 'hefty' Lii speakers.  Wish me luck.

Cheers
Mamuka

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 12/24/20 at 16:51:14

Nice ‘Lil speakers!

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print