Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/27/20 at 03:42:03†

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ugly Effective Acoustic Treatment. (Read 92 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Ugly Effective Acoustic Treatment.
09/16/20 at 15:07:07

I bought a box of 6 x OC 702 2Ē Plans are to make some absorbers. The acoustic transparent fabric has not yet arrived. I tried putting the box in the corner of the room behind the left speaker. †

As you can see it was very effective! at less than $100 this made a big difference in the suckout at 50-60hz and 140hz. It also dropped the 30-40hz range by almost 1db!

I also found ATS Acoustic sells Roxul scraps 20 pounds in a 25x49x12" box for $12! problem is it's a large box and heavy so it costs ~$50 to ship to the Philly suburbs. They are located in Illinois.

Still at $62 + a sheet to cover the box I think itís a bargain.

If you are going to work with Roxul take precautions. Some people are saying itís almost as toxic as asbestos.

Iím getting a few more boxes of 703 Iím thinking Iím going to leave the box in the corner and just cover it with a sheet.

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

Rega P8 | SS Zephyr MIMC Star | Roon + HQplayer | MicroRendu | PSA DSD | ZP3 25th ZMC1 | ZRock2 25th | ZStage 25th | Torii MKiv 25th | Argon 7Ls | Iconoclast 1x4 TPC / UPOCC RCAs | KCC Thor Mains Reconditioner | Zenwave Speaker Cable | Curious Evolved USB .2m
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Ugly Effective Acoustic Treatment.
Reply #1 - 09/22/20 at 02:36:13

Very cool findings!

I'm glad to see you're taking measurements!

Don't forget, you have many, many more corners you could try your box-o-absorption in...middle wall between speakers, back wall, ceiling corners if you feel adventurous. Have fun with it...since you're measuring, you may as well figure out what wall/intersection works best!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/22/20 at 03:46:27

Love it!  I'm a firm believer in room treatment, and love to see people actually putting it up...or, uh, stuffing it in the corner!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - Yesterday at 14:10:48

Thanks guys!

LR, I bought 5 boxes of 6x2" so I've tried a lot of positions. The front left was the most effective for a single box.

I'm slowly converting those boxes into panels.

I built 8 so far, shooting to have another 8ish done next week. I estimate I'll need 14-18 2x4' panels to get the reverb to a good level. The lower frequencies I'm just going to have to live with for now.

Acoustic treatment is a tough sell until, you experience music in a treated room. It's all over after that, you become obsessed with it.

The cost per 25.25x49.5" panels are just under $30 each. that includes 703, fiberglass, staples, wood, wood glue, nails and acoustically transparent cloth.

tools used: chopsaw, drill, hammer, stapler, scissors, tape measure and pencil

Rega P8 | SS Zephyr MIMC Star | Roon + HQplayer | MicroRendu | PSA DSD | ZP3 25th ZMC1 | ZRock2 25th | ZStage 25th | Torii MKiv 25th | Argon 7Ls | Iconoclast 1x4 TPC / UPOCC RCAs | KCC Thor Mains Reconditioner | Zenwave Speaker Cable | Curious Evolved USB .2m
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print