Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:55:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clipping/heavy distortion with SE84UFO (Read 3033 times)
hells

Clipping/heavy distortion with SE84UFO
05/14/20 at 18:36:06

Hey guys!

So I have been using a new set of solid state gear I received a couple weeks ago. A Freya S and an Aegir. While wonderful I wanted to see if the Freya S's additional gain (in 4x mode, so 12db more) would give my little SE84UFO a kick in the pants to up the volume on an already awesome sounding amplifier.

Instead I get heavy distortion on anything past the half way mark on the amp's volume dial. So in 4x mode on the Freya, I have the SE84UFO at half way. I can turn the Freya all the way up, and music remains nice. Just quiet. So if I turn up the SE84UFO anywhere past 1/2, the amp starts clipping super hard.

Is this expected? I guess I assumed by using the Freya I could overcome the gain that the 2 watts gets me on some recordings. But it's having the opposite effect  ;D

EDIT: I should have added that I've tried new tubes in this, all but the Rectifier tube. These tubes shouldn't have had more than 6 months usage at like 5-8 hours a day on them. As I then swapped to my SE84UFO25 that I recently sold. I'd imagine the rectifier would have plenty of juice left?

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Clipping/heavy distortion with SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 05/15/20 at 00:31:02

If I'm understanding your issue correctly I might be able to help.  The SE84UFO won't necessarily get louder by putting more voltage into it.  If the amp comes up to full power with a 2 volt input, anything over 2 volts will either clip/distort or keep you from turning the volume knob up all the way.

You might get more density to the music though.  Someone else can give a good description of "riding the gain."

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
hells

Re: Clipping/heavy distortion with SE84UFO
Reply #2 - 05/15/20 at 03:51:49

I think that’s exactly what’s happening, I just wasn’t understanding how two gain sources worked. I did some more reading and I think I understand it all thanks!

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print