Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:38:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii Audio 15 Baffles - To Tilt or Not To Tilt (Read 5897 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Lii Audio 15 Baffles - To Tilt or Not To Tilt
03/31/20 at 13:07:30

Greetings All,

After reading about Steve's findings about tilting back his larger ZF15M & L baffles 7 1/2 degrees I decided to experiment a bit.

Putting some standard rubber door stops underneath the front off Randy's baffles resulted in a taller soundstage but I did not like the loss of lower end energy. The balance was off and the sound was lean to my ears. Probably a 10-12 degree tilt.

Next I placed two Gingko Audio Arch 1 resonance devices under the front of the baffles. I have primarily used these arches underneath my Omega XRS SAHO speakers to tighten up bass response. They raise the front of the baffles about 5 degrees (1 1/2 inches).  Well bless my soul, the same frequency balance but a larger and deeper soundstage. These little babies worked some magic that was completely unexpected.

So I going to keep them in place!  BTW, my Modwright PH 9.0 phono preamplifier tubes and capacitors have settled in nicely after about 50 hours. I'll be posting a small review elsewhere on the forum.

Cheers,

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Lii Audio 15 Baffles - To Tilt or Not To Tilt
Reply #1 - 03/31/20 at 16:25:05

Hi HK. Can you post a picture of the arch under the speaker? Sounds like a great idea.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/20 at 16:28:21

Geno,

Here's a link to info and pictures of the arch:
https://www.ginkgoaudio.com/archtech/

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #3 - 03/31/20 at 16:38:50

Hey guys,

Roger ..... thanks for the heads up !!!
I have had mixed results with placing various cones, spikes, etc. under the Betsy and Lii 15 baffles .... your solution might be the "magic mushroom" .....

I will definitely give this a try .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/20 at 16:56:44

I raised my Lii 15 baffles about 3/8 of an inch in the front using printing paper. It is not necessarily a permanent solution but in my room, the height  was the best compromise between a better sound stage and bass output. I do not sense a lack of bass at all at this angle.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 03/31/20 at 16:58:35

I’m trying to envision the placement under the speaker. Are you using 2 per speaker? With the curve running front to back?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/31/20 at 17:01:43

Geno,

Two under the front of the speaker, oriented front to back. Easy, peasey.

HK

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 03/31/20 at 17:27:23

I see. So you can increase the angle of the speaker tilt the further you push the arch back.

Sorry for the 101 questions, but roughly what are the dimensions of each arch? W x L.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/31/20 at 18:18:26

Geno

About 2.5" W & 3.25" L. Not very large. Heck if I know what materials they used to build them.

HK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print