Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 21:23:39 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 175243 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #300 - 08/02/19 at 22:15:45

I don't know but the drivers must have gone into some kind of resonance.  I'm guessing the sound I heard was the coil touching.  

How's the weather over there?  We've had a lot of rain this side of the divide lately but beautiful today!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #301 - 08/02/19 at 23:28:00

The ZMA should be able to bring the driver to it's knees at resonance, especially if it's sustained for any length of time.  When they rate the driver at 50 watts, you have to wonder whose watts and what damping factor did the amplifier have used in the measurement.  These are pretty low mass cones with a pretty tight voice coil gap so you either heard the cone rock causing the coil to rub, or you heard the voice coil former (tube) hit the back of the pole piece on the magnet.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #302 - 08/02/19 at 23:50:21

Fortunately, I haven't found another piece of music with that kind of sustained bass.

More than any speaker I've heard, these reveal the quality of the recording and performance.  It's like looking over the sound with a magnifying glass.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #303 - 08/03/19 at 04:04:27

A Big Magnifying glass ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #304 - 08/03/19 at 04:36:18

In my room, the frequency balance of these speakers is so good that classic rock sounds like it should without any EQ. And I usually run the speakers without a ZROCK2, although it makes sound considerably better most of the time. Much of my listening is from the perspective of "what will a customer hear when he or she buys this or that in it's normal configuration..."  A ZROCK2 is so over the top, that it feels like serious cheating in so much as that once you have one, you can't not have one.

During the fest if I demo these (or any speakers) with a ZROCK2, since it has a bypass switch it is easy to hear it with and without... Problem is that from the very first time someone flips the switch to "on" no-one will like the sound without it. It will remain ON during the entire fest. Then when people, some who may not realize it was ON get home, order the a system without a ZROCK2 they will wonder why it isn't sounding the same.

For me a ZROCK2 is a dangerous drug. When it's on it makes everything sound 30% better than it actually is (recordings, not speakers and amplifiers) That in turn makes you think your gear is 30% better than it actually is to the rest of the world that has no ZROCK2. If ever you design a amplifier that needs a ZROCK2 to sound great, you've lost your spark.  This is why when I listen to a ZROCK2, it's only for a week at most and only periodically.

This will likely change soon enough as this new open baffle design with the Crystal 10 driver from Lii Audio will require the ZROCK2 to work in an open baffle speaker design on it's own. In fact I expect this will be a new and probably huge market for the ZROCK2. It's curves should fit perfectly with almost all passive open baffle speaker designs. I suspect these drivers with some break-in combined with this ZROCKED BAFFLE will be good enough to get that box of drool towels in the attic down for auditions.

Today I got both of the baffles finish sanded and have oiled the back sides of each. Still waiting for the drivers to arrive. Will design a base for these probably similar to the Big Betsy hopefully this weekend so I can post some more pictures!  I am also designing a high mass clamping system into the baffle to secure the drivers in place. When they cost a grand for just the drivers it's worth going all out to see what the true potential really is.  A few wood screws would work, but I can think of better ways to couple the energy from the frame of the driver into the heavy dense baffle.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #305 - 08/03/19 at 04:53:46

Archie,  I just had a vision about your speakers. I just saw a a pair of 16 oz brass weights screwed into the back side at the top where the vibration is highest (because there is no drain). Put them on either side situated on the rear face of the baffle, but just slightly off center, one more than the other. This will drink/drain the vibration as well as greatly lower the frequency.  I think you will have a different result than you did with the wood.  The weights could be heavier by perhaps several times, but not lighter.

It would need to be brass.  Although a lower density copper might also work well and give it a softer sound. Iron or steel would be inferior because they are so much harder.

I'm anxious to hear if Dan's MDF baffles have made any progress since his last post...  between the drivers being tight and new, and possibly using an  amp with too high of a damping factor it would certainly come off too dry and lean at first.  

Nothing would make me happier than to find out it was possible to get 80% of the performance and sound with simple MDF doubled up to 1.5 inches.  That would make it possible to have the Budget Big Betsy that countless people could have a lot of fun with.  Trust me, 80% of what I am hearing on my hardwood pair would way better than most speakers so it would be a win win win for every one.  

Happy listening!

WWW   IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #306 - 08/03/19 at 05:27:05

I am thinking about using 3/4" + 1" plywood for the baffles.  

I am also curious if the F15 would work in a half imperial.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #307 - 08/03/19 at 06:27:59

I'm pretty sure that using two different thicknesses would be superior to using to matching thicknesses in most cases.  As for the half imprerial, we have never tried a 15 inch driver in one.  Only 12 inch drivers.  Personally I think it would sound better in a Big Betsy Baffle than a half Imperial and a much simpler build.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #308 - 08/03/19 at 06:31:08

UPDATE 8/3/2019

I fixed the booboo and  as I mentioned got both baffle finish sanded and oiled on one side. Here is a picture

This is the back side.  I plan to mount the driver from the back with the cutout on the front side coming right to the edge of the surround.  The back side here in the picture is stepped to accept the driver and a high mass clamping system to hold the driver in place.  

When the oil dries, I'll be able to flip it over and do to the front side.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #309 - 08/03/19 at 06:42:08

It turns out that the American Walnut and highly figured Oak combo is greatly exceeding my expectations from an appearance perspective with the same linseed oil finish as the Big Betsy. These are going to be stunners. Without spending an hour on the picture, the picture is not going to compare to the real thing. There is nothing quite like solid, extra thick hardwood. The speaker could sound like shit and it almost wouldn't be a deal breaker because it looks so good. Of course the nice thing is that at least the Big Betsy sounds quite the opposite of shit so the experience is very elevated.  We anticipate this to be be even more intense.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #310 - 08/03/19 at 08:43:06

I was looking at some that were already built that are for sale. Thanks

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #311 - 08/03/19 at 16:52:06

I was looking at the Flagship Crystal-10 10" drivers on the Lii Audio website.  They are on sale for $999.  Based on the spec sheet, it appeared to have better low end bass performance than the larger 15" speakers so I emailed Leo to ask how the low bass of the high-end 10" drivers compared to the larger 15" full range drivers.  

This is what he said.....

Hi Jeff,

Without doubt the 10" is much more "full range" than any other drivers thus if your question is about how bass it can go,  10" does better and is more elastic.

We highly recommend a cabinet of 220L at least or if you want to play with OB,  the OB should be big enough to allow the most performance.

Best regards,
Leo ZHANG
Lii Audio Team

I am going to convert my Bubinga bass driver OB's to the Crystal-10 full range OB's.  I'll have a couple Baltic Birch plywood rings cut to allow the smaller 10" drivers to mount up to my Caintuck OB barrel shaped baffles.  

I don't need another set of speakers but I no longer have a use for my OB bass drivers anymore with my current loudspeakers.  Its a shame to see these beautiful Bubinga baffles unused.  I am hoping the Baltic birch will look cool with the off-white drivers and the darker Bubinga background.   Im hoping it will have a cool two-tone effect.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #312 - 08/03/19 at 18:17:10

Quote:
A ZROCK2 is so over the top, that it feels like serious cheating in so much as that once you have one, you can't not have one.

So true!  I don't know about the cheating aspect but my guess is that maybe 5% of recordings sound as good on the bypass.

Steve, can you clarify the weights location?  Are you suggesting they go stacked on the back or side-by-side but in either case with an asymmetric mounting?  The symmetry makes a lot of sense.  I was even wondering about a pair of baffles with the driver mounted 2/3 up and 2/3 out.

I do have a pair of big cast iron handles on the way already.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #313 - 08/03/19 at 18:17:38

"This is the back side.  I plan to mount the driver from the back with the cutout on the front side coming right to the edge of the surround.  The back side here in the picture is stepped to accept the driver and a high mass clamping system to hold the driver in place."

Steve, I was thinking of doing this with the 15". I noticed it has the gasket on the outside like a normal sub-woofer, so might as well use it. Do you think this would have any bad effects on the sound if it was mounted from behind because of the thickness of the wood? Maybe do a little round over on the front edge?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #314 - 08/03/19 at 19:24:22

Now Steve has me looking for hunks of brass.  But what shape would be best?  It's expensive.  Bar stock is available.  Maybe 1/2"x1 1/2"x6" or would 1/2"x3"x3" be better?  Or even a thinner stock with a larger footprint?  At 1/2" thick, you need 6.25 sq in to make 1 lb.  Or some 2 1/4" round stock that weighs about 1 1/4 lb/inch.  I've also found thicker stock that I could get 3"x3" pieces out of at either 1 1/4" or 5/8" thick.  So many options!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #315 - 08/03/19 at 21:20:36

you are right, it's not cheap... Smiley
Scott

IMG_1568.jpeg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #316 - 08/03/19 at 22:44:50

I've been listening to my MDF Big Betsy's now for a couple weeks.  The bass has gotten better, but is not bone crushing.  Actually, it's just what I'd expect from a 15" driver with an Fs of 50 hz in an open baffle enclosure.  It's going to be interesting to hear Decware's this October (just made my reservations 2 days ago).  Actually, when I think about it...if I have 1w running through these things I'm probably up in the neighborhood of 100db.  At that level, I would want at least 103 db and probably more like 106db of bass.  There's no way to get that, that I know of, other that turn up the power and somehow cut back on the audio that's not bass.  Maybe that's a Zrock2.  Like I said, I'm looking forward to Oct.

The amazing thing about the Big Betsy's, IMHO, is the HUGE sound stage.  They just fill the room like no other speaker I've ever had.  And that includes a couple of attempts with multiple front and side speakers in an attempt to get a bigger sound stage.

One thing I also noticed yesterday is this:  I have one song that has a couple of notes it it that can make you wince if everything is not perfect.  For a LONG time I thought it was the recording, but I've come to realize that a great speaker does not have an issue.  Probably has a lot to do with the amp too.  My recording of Norah Jones "Come Sail Away" has a couple places in the first 30 seconds that will tell me if I'm dealing with a great speaker or not.  The Big Betsy's sound as good as I've ever heard on that song.

Now for some pictures...First is a back view.  The handle/stiffener is a 2x4 and the base is built to take cement "patio blocks" to build up the weight.

I's using 2 patio blocks per speaker, that are screwed down with a cover piece of MDF.  This brings each speaker up to around 100 lbs.

The front view makes the top look wider than the bottom, but let me assure you it's not.  After seeing that pic, I went out and measured.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #317 - 08/03/19 at 23:07:12

Another potential source for material to make the Big Betsy Baffle is old bowling alley wood.  From what I can gather, its maple, anywhere from 1.5" to 2.25" thick, hard as nails, and a bowling alley just happens to be 41.5" wide.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #318 - 08/04/19 at 00:44:15

Guys, a less expensive option is Rockwell dampening material. It is dense rubber with a foil topping, and is adhesive on back for easy application.  It helped placed on the back of the baffle, as well as dampening the speaker basket.
Also, if your base allows, stiffeners help too. All of this made a big difference With mine. I still have to order a few more pieces for my bass baffles.

3D17AF6E-EDC7-477D-87C7-90E2454BD89E.jpeg

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #319 - 08/04/19 at 01:00:23

Geno, I don't understand much about open baffles -- I'm just following the crowd here but damping the baffle seems counter intuitive.  What Steve is suggesting will potentially break up resonances and "tune" the baffle vibration.  The brass won't damp anything but it will change the "stiffness."  Like how the stiffness of a spring changes it's natural frequency of vibration.  (I only said the latter in case you're not familiar with the physics.)  I could see where a baffle that has very little damping would throw more sound.  The stiffness of the baffle might change the nature (frequency spectrum) of the sound.  Keeping things asymmetrical might keep unwanted resonances at bay.

Dank, did you put that 2x4 across the top of the back for a handle or to stiffen the baffle, or both?  How much do those concrete blocks weigh?  I'm surprised your's are so heavy, even with the extra concrete.  Mine are 63 lbs.  MDF must be a lot heavier than maple.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #320 - 08/04/19 at 04:01:33

Quote:
I was looking at some that were already built that are for sale. Thanks

SteveB, Welcome to the forum!  You're in the right place.  Once these become available and for sale, this is where it will be announced first.  We may be able to take orders starting in October.

Thanks for asking!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #321 - 08/04/19 at 04:08:28

Quote:
Steve, can you clarify the weights location?  Are you suggesting they go stacked on the back or side-by-side but in either case with an asymmetric mounting?  The symmetry makes a lot of sense.  I was even wondering about a pair of baffles with the driver mounted 2/3 up and 2/3 out.

I do have a pair of big cast iron handles on the way already.

I would place one in the hottest spot you can find on the back with your stethoscope.  Then I would see if there is another hot spot where you could put a second one.  I think you can lay it flat and play test tones allowing you to place the weights on the back and move them around to find the best result.

Install the handles first, they will change the top cabinet resonance pattern.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #322 - 08/04/19 at 04:13:32

Quote:
Now Steve has me looking for hunks of brass.  But what shape would be best?  It's expensive.  Bar stock is available.  Maybe 1/2"x1 1/2"x6" or would 1/2"x3"x3" be better?  Or even a thinner stock with a larger footprint?  At 1/2" thick, you need 6.25 sq in to make 1 lb.  Or some 2 1/4" round stock that weighs about 1 1/4 lb/inch.  I've also found thicker stock that I could get 3"x3" pieces out of at either 1 1/4" or 5/8" thick.  So many options!

When I saw it in the vision it was round, about 3 inches tall, about 2.5 ~ 3 inches in diameter, and had radiuses on both ends.  A hole in the middle with a bolt to adjust tension and there may have been a thin gasket of some sort.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #323 - 08/04/19 at 04:33:07

Geno's picture makes for a great opportunity to point out that the metal speaker basket on this particular driver is a week link in the speakers sound.  Damping it with the adhesive material is highly recommended.

There is really no reason that the sound that comes off the back should be any different than the sound that comes off the front other than being rolled off more in the high frequencies. Problem is, when the speakers are turned up the sound coming off the back has an edge to it that is completely missing from the sound that comes off the front. This edge is the metal frame resonance coming primarily off the flat area that the magnet it mounted on.

That is one issue, there is also another issue that could be easily resolved. The magnet is mounted to the frame with four or 6 points. Probably spot welds, maybe rivets or even screws. The metal is too thin to keep this from flexing. By making a 1/4 inch thick rope out of JBWeld epoxy putty and gently pressing it into the gap between the magnet and the speaker frame you will increase the stiffness of the entire structure by a factor of probably at least 4. And I guess if you're going to go that far, you should also consider self-stick felt stuck to the inside spokes of the speaker basket so that the sound from the speaker cone doesn't hit hard metal and reflect back into the paper cone.  

There are also discussions somewhere about making phase-guides for these drivers.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #324 - 08/04/19 at 07:58:37

Dan,
It looks like your driver is centered in the arc of the sides. Is that a true perception?

Brian

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #325 - 08/04/19 at 08:33:27

Steve Deckert wrote on 08/04/19 at 04:13:32:

When I saw it in the vision it was round, about 3 inches tall, about 2.5 ~ 3 inches in diameter, and had radiuses on both ends.  A hole in the middle with a bolt to adjust tension and there may have been a thin gasket of some sort.

Steve

Sounds like Eden Sound Audio may be a perfect fit.  www.edensoundaudio.com

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #326 - 08/04/19 at 13:06:04

Reply #324 - Today at 07:58:37  
Dan,
It looks like your driver is centered in the arc of the sides. Is that a true perception?

Brian

That's another photo angle issue.  Baffle is 42" high with center of speaker 25" off floor.  24" wide at top and bottom.

2x4 in back is both stiffener and handle.  Concrete patio blocks are around 17 lbs each (34 lbs total), MDF baffle is around 60lbs, speaker is a few lbs.  Total is close to 100 lbs.

Dan

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #327 - 08/04/19 at 13:12:02

I wonder if instead of a solid hunk of a "heavy metal" that a container filled with a filler would be better?
I've stopped resonance before with lead shot, sand and even C-clamps with rubber between the jaws. Turn that vibration into heat!
In industry the general direction has moved to using viscous fluids for damping. The fluid is inside a sealed container that allows it to be adjusted to the correct damping level to quell the harmonics.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #328 - 08/04/19 at 17:38:27

This is an interesting description about vibration damping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCxm3vTWgvU

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #329 - 08/04/19 at 17:54:15

I like Steve's suggestion about using the stethoscope to find the "hot spots" and applying weight there.  I'm still not sure that the object should be to damp vibration on the baffle but rather to tune it to a different frequency (which weights should do).  Each of our baffles (Steve, Dank, me) are different enough to have different resonance peaks.  I can't say that I hear any issues with mine but who can say for sure?

Searching ebay one can find brass disks of varying diameters and thicknesses.  The only problem is the cost.  I'm tempted to buy plate that I can cut up on my bandsaw.  If I don't mind wasting material I can shape the sides.  Easing edges and rounding corners might make sense even if I didn't go to the extent Steve suggests.

I do have a challenge generating test tones though.  Maybe I can download some or there might be a disk available?

Great video Donnie.  I really liked the model demonstration.

Edit:  I found this site.  They have a nice range of test tones.  https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=62182721

I've downloaded their 20Hz through their 17,000Hz.  Not sure I'll hear anything at the low and high end of the tones.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #330 - 08/04/19 at 18:19:24

I played around a bit with bypassing my ZR2.  I still don't like the idea that it's a "cheat" though.  I mean, if the ZR2 is a cheat then is acoustic room treatment also a cheat?  Afterall, Steve's listing room so so superior to anything most of us will ever have it makes the playing field unlevel already.

Anyway, A/B-ing the ZR2 is hard since it also offers overall gain in addition to the equalization but what I found is that without the ZR2, I still have the same bass extension but the bass seems thin and muted and my Big Betsy's also seem to have more of a bloom with extra volume (with the ZR2 my BBs are blooming at all volumes).  With the ZR2 it almost seems like I have an extra octave of bass but I think it's more just the extra fullness of the existing bass that I'm hearing.

If this were a competition to get there the hard way then the ZR2 would be cheating.  But it's not a competition and when an audio "shortcut" presents itself, use it!   Wink  In other words, if you don't have a ZR2, place an order.  This is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever get in this hobby.

This post relates to the ZR2 and the Big Betsy but I have the same bass experience with my HR1s and the ZR2.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #331 - 08/04/19 at 20:38:15

I agree, call it what you will, I wouldn’t take my ZR2 out of my system for any reason, and if you don’t have one, again, totally agree, get one regardless. Room treatments too, these two things let whatever you’re running do it’s job in a far superior way! Cheers! Good listening, really enjoying this thread, post count and reads is over the top!
I can only imagine what the build list will look like this fall!
Best,
Scott
Got another few thoughts...
I can see adding another pair of speakers next to my DNA’s but it sure would be nice to have a DecWare speaker selector sitting atop my ZBIT and ZR2 Smiley

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #332 - 08/04/19 at 21:55:09

The ZSB ought to be able to be modified for speakers, wouldn't you think?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #333 - 08/04/19 at 22:13:24

I played around with test tones and my stethoscope and as of right now, I don't see the need for brass weights.  My tones were: 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 8,000, 10,000, 15,000, ... Herz.

I honestly couldn't hear 15,000 Hz and I think it's me.   Sad

I generally found the sound in the baffles to be relatively even except for with a few tones.  The 500 Hz tone peaked at both the top and bottom in the center.  This tone was by far the most prominent with any peaking.  I got somewhat of a peak at the top center with the 50 Hz tone and some peaking with the 40 Hz tone at the top edges in a zone about 6 inches wide from the top corner and down.  I plan on mounting heavy cast iron handles to the top centers so those reading may change.  The bass does seem to like the upper part of the baffles.

I also played around with my isolation platforms and interestingly, they don't seem to be needed at the lower frequencies but 200 Hz was interesting.  The top of the platform really liked that tone and got itself very excited!  I think a damping layer on the tops wouldn't hurt although the energy is small compared to the mass of the baffle and floor.  The energy didn't seem to get into the floor and I think my spring platforms perform mostly as expected.  From what I could tell, at worst, the platforms have a neutral effect with these speakers.  At best, they keep baffle vibrations from going into the floor.  

Getting set up to do this testing was a real PITA as I had to move my tower computer and monitor downstairs and hook it up to my AV amplifier (the Big Besty's are too big to haul upstairs without really good reason).  My equipment is of varying ages and not necessarily inter-compatible.  I'll have to see how motivated I am to do this again after my handles are installed.  It would be educational to see if anything changes.

Something else of note, the roll-off in the lower register is huge.  I had to turn up the gain for those test tones significantly.  I don't know how the bass can get enough boost without some form of equalization or sympathetic resonance to help.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Reply #334 - 08/05/19 at 00:41:48

To improve structural rigidity and redistribute center of gravity while making the structure lighter may I suggest the following for consideration:

-      Include I-beam braces running from the 2 X4 handles (on each side) to the a similar 2 X4 on the heavy mass horizontal footing. The web of the I beam can be much larger than the flanges (or the flanges eliminated altogether leaving only the web for a cleaner appearance at the back) since torsional forces if any are minimal if any when the speaker drivers operate.

Advantages:
o      This will reduce/eliminate structural resonance (not Fs the speaker drivers free-air resonant frequency) due to the added rigidity. Other wise it behaves much like a cantilevered structure with a heavy mass above the horizontal centerline which is prone to “singing” unless a very thick front face is employed making this large and tall speaker quite heavy. The triangular structure is heavily used in structural engineering to reduce weight thus cost, while increasing rigidity. Best of both worlds.
o      It will also enable the front baffle thickness to be reduced thus moving the center of gravity of the speaker structure as a whole further horizontally behind though still high up due to the dominance of the mass of magnet compared with the now a lighter front face. The front foot extensions at the bottom can thus be eliminated given a cleaner front look as the c.g. has moved back behind the fulcrum point (caution: tipping depends on how much the front baffle thickness is reduced as the c.g. is still high up and whether the speaker flange is mounted at the back versus from the front in). Tipping can also be avoided by simply attaching a couple of nylon straps at the back of the horizontal footing to the floor.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 08/05/19 at 01:28:32

Geno, that Rockville stuff looks like what I need to damp the tops of my isolation platforms but I can't find it in small quantities at a decent price so I might try some Bituthene roofing membrane.  I have rolls of that but it can smell.   Tongue

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #336 - 08/05/19 at 01:53:54

Adam, I got 2 sq ft on amazon, but don’t see it there anymore.

But I did find it here:    https://www.newegg.com/p/0UK-00ZW-00047?item=9SIAGNP8994622&source=googleshoppin...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #337 - 08/05/19 at 03:01:34

Quote:
I played around a bit with bypassing my ZR2.  I still don't like the idea that it's a "cheat" though.

When I say it's a cheat I specifically mean for ME -- and only because it makes my digital sources sound so much better I that when I'm voicing an amplifier or speakers, I would think "I've got it!" perhaps months or years before I actually did have it. This would cause me to send product out the door thinking I've got it and only a year later releasing updates for it. If the whole world had ZROCKS it would be great, but 95% of our and everyone else's products go out the door to homes that aren't going to have ZROCKS, or extra juicy tape machines, or even ass kicking vinyl rigs.

As the end consumer, a ZROCK2 is a completely different circumstance.  It simply makes your sources sound better, the way they should sound and for some reason rarely do.  Well, we all know the reason.  The post production process and the money spent on a DAC.  Most of us aren't sporting $30K DACs that actually sound good, so our digital does not sound like analogue.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #338 - 08/05/19 at 03:42:53

Archie,

When testing speaker baffle resonance or the sides of a speaker box, the frequencies are narrow. As an example, 400Hz might have no real drama, nor does 500Hz, but 417Hz might really light things up. The only effective way to test for this is to be able to slowly sweep the frequencies or step the frequencies 1Hz at a time.  Also you don't need a stethoscope always, you can use. your finger tips.  What you do need is stick-on dots that you can stick on the exact place where your finger tip was and write the frequency on the dot.  If you want to get documentative, you can glue a piezo tweeter diaphragm to the spots and hook the leads to an oscilloscope.

Many speaker cabinets I have tested over the years and some drivers themselves, have what I call an evil note, where if you hit it, and it sustains for any length of time, like a whole second, it will resonate and peak the frequency by 6, 10 even 12dB!!!! Just a single note in some cases. This is why some speakers sound so great until you play a specific recording with a sound that falls into that notch... Then suddenly your eyes squint, your neck cocks to the left and turns slightly...  then your palm finds your forehead.

And, as far as the weights, keep in mind it was a vision that flashed, but I agree with you it would take for example a 417hz peak on a board and move it down out of the audible range. Being of high density and mass it isn't going to turn energy into heat, but rather store/release/redistribute the energy.

I figured out right away with these Big Betsy baffles that they themselves actually become the wavefront, so if we look at the baffle similarly to the way we look at a speaker cone, we're just dealing with modal resonance patterns that are aggravated at certain SPLs. This is why it will be fun to see how baffles compare that are stiff sound boards, vs. energy traps.  

You can find frequency generators in apps for your computer or phone.  You can't rely on recorded tones, because you have to sweep the tones back and forth many times as you hunt down the vibrations, and then you narrow it and narrow it until you find the center frequency.  Usually in the case of a speaker box you put a brace in that spot -- which often doubles the frequency and drops the energy in half.  However, weighting it would make it more relaxed sounding and perhaps natural... so much audio gear has it's panties in a bunch from over execution... sometimes its nice to just ditch the panties.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #339 - 08/05/19 at 03:55:54

I got a few hours this weekend to work on these smaller walnut baffles and built the stands for the back. I'll dowel it up and make it all screw together with some 4-inch lag bolts / washers behind the buttons like I did on the Big Betsy.

I have done it enough times now (twice) to figure out that linseed oil will kick your ass if you don't open the doors...  It's a learning curve.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #340 - 08/05/19 at 04:15:42

So this is the first coat of linseed oil and after at least 24 hrs I'll do a second coat using steel wool, buff it after it dries and wax it.  Something about walnut that I have not found a finish that I like (poly/shellac/lacquer) because it makes it look fake, brings out a purple plastic veil that I can't stand, and that's amazing to me because I have never found anything that shellac didn't make look over the top good, except walnut.

The most impressive part of this build so far is actually the figured oak.  I purchased 20BF of this stuff for making tape machine sides, which I did, but now seeing it in the speaker, with just natural oil framed by the darker walnut I really couldn't be more pleased.  

BTW, the knots you see on this panel I actually painted into the finish because this baffle was knot free and the other panel is full of knots.  Hehe, that's the beauty of oil finish on hardwood... I can add more knots anytime I want... well within my patients to hand paint intricate wood grains because you can't just paint a knot anywhere you want.

So the next step will be to actually install the bases and front feet so I can stand them up in the shop.  Then I will focus on the esoteric mounting system for the drivers.  By then they should be here and I can lay the driver in the baffle and slowly craft something really trick to hold them in place with adjustable tension.  This way I can experiment with hard-coupling, gaskets, or even energy drains like a viscoelastic membrane.

While I wouldn't hate a larger radius on the opening I think this partial horn-loading of the cone will add some real attack.  We will see.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #341 - 08/05/19 at 04:16:59

Nice

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #342 - 08/05/19 at 16:31:55

Steve, I think that frequency investigation is beyond me at this point.  My facility to pull that off is primitive, to say the least.  I am thinking about trying something I saw in a video.  A couple of the links have already been posted in this thread.  The engineer working with panel speakers determined that mounting the driver 2/5 and 3/5 off center and then mounting weights in the four quadrants in a 2/5 and 3/5 location helped break up resonances and reduce what remained.  He also said the total mass of the weights should be about 20% to 25% of the baffle mass.  I'm estimating my baffle at 50lbs so I'd need 10+ lbs of weight.  That would be roughly 3"Dx1"L weights, 4 per baffle.  Here is one video.  The relevant time start is around 21:30.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

The thing is, in his next video he claims that the reduction in the peaks was small and that blending panels with different peaks was a more effective method for flattening the frequency response.  (22:23 for:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIye4RZ-5k)  But since I'm not building more Big Betsys and forming an array, the weights may be the only real option available.

All that said, I haven't found any bad tones in my listening sessions.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #343 - 08/05/19 at 16:47:12

You guys are digging into the resonance thing.  Interesting reading.

I haven't done anything regarding resonance thus far.  

I don't feel much overall resonance in the 1.5" MDF.  When I had multiple drivers in these baffles (before I cut them), there were times I felt I had created a giant tuning fork.  Its part of the reason I migrated away from them.  But I am not feeling (or hearing) anything too significant now.

Right now the low boys reside on top of my sub cabinets.  Center of the drivers are about 31" off the floor.  Too far in my opinion and it hurts the bass.  I may experiment with different heights, but in the end I may end up at the established 25" level.

I did spend some time with a laser measurement device precisely positioning them and it improved my overall imaging.  Based on that exercise, I would say these require exact positioning for the best imaging/soundstage.  Worth messing with in my case.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #344 - 08/05/19 at 17:52:57

Pal, I don't know how it relates to perceived bass but I hear the strongest bass in the baffle at the top when using a stethoscope.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #345 - 08/05/19 at 19:32:39

Quote:
When I say it's a cheat I specifically mean for ME

How ironic!  The Audio Gods demand a certain amount of suffering I guess.   Cry

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #346 - 08/05/19 at 19:48:22

At some point Arch, I will run REW to see how the response looks like vs my other OBs.  

I'll see what kind of peaks I have across the spectrum and then zero in on those to see if the wood is contributing.  

I won't alter these baffles any more.  They are just a temporary home until I build some proper ones.  

I have some Baltic birch leftover from my previous build.  I may double that up to see how it sounds and then decide if I go hardwood or not.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #347 - 08/05/19 at 21:47:51

I look forward to seeing what you get.  From the little looking I've done, Flat Response is a relative term.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #348 - 08/05/19 at 22:22:13

I have found its possible if you change the smoothing and/or the increments shown on the chart axis Grin

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #349 - 08/06/19 at 00:42:36

Mounting a heavy cast iron handle also smooths the curve.   Wink

IMG_2729a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Send Topic Print