Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 00:55:37 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ANNIVERSARY MODS for DECWARE gear (Read 56590 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: ANNIVERSARY MODS for DECWARE gear
Reply #50 - 12/19/18 at 00:22:07

Archie,

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking about sending in my ZP3 for the upgrade and glad to hear the positive news so quickly.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 12/19/18 at 00:54:55

Awesome Archie! I am even more eager to hear my modded ZROCK2 now!

In time I may send one of my CSP2+ and my Taboo Mk IV in for the mods.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #52 - 12/19/18 at 03:25:14

I've done about a half a dozen or so fully modded ZROCK2's with the tube regulation and bypass caps and it passes the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier test as a component in the signal path that does not detract from the transparency... the tone of this device is like the best Swiss chocolate you've ever tasted and the textures and depth in the bass are of course what make that magic in the midrange possible.

I've been able to talk to most everyone after getting one now, and everyone seems to agree it is a music fixer of the highest order.  You know, not all Decware components can have the FULL anniversary mods, which are 100% tube regulation of all stages and multi-sage bypass caps on every stage.  I couldn't be more thrilled to have this tone generator at the heart of a reference system and be controllable to the point where everyone uses it and requires it.  To me that says it is fixing the recording and the room while leaving everything in the middle pretty much untouched.

If you listen to a ZROCK2 on a pair of 20 Hz folded Horns featuring 15 inch high efficiency drivers the low bass is insane. For those who attended the DECFEST when we played Randy's bass demo on the Imperial Folded Horns and got the entire blocks undivided attention... remember, that was without a ZROCK2.  Had we put that in the mix the low 25Hz bass in that track would have been twice as loud causing serious concern for our safety!

Today I had the pleasure to chat with a gentleman with a pair of high efficiency speakers that are rated to below 30Hz, but always sounded lean.  Even with different room placements and different amplifiers this was the common denominator.  He purchased a ZROCK2 on good faith and is now hearing and feeling solid low frequency foundational underpinnings that were simply not there before.  No subwoofer is needed now.  Imagine how difficult it would be to get a subwoofer to have the same phase angle and speed signature having higher mass than the main driver.... not to mention get it to sound like it's not in a different location or lagging behind.  Yes, it can be done, but it will end up being probably custom and costing as much as the speakers or the amplifier or both.  So life got a lot better for this fellow.  

(end of post - quick memory - Before Decware went online we were a commercial audio contractor doing custom systems one of which was a local night club with a bass problem.  They had 4-18 inch subs in the corner of the dance floor and 4 - 400W Yamahah amplifiers driving them through RANE crossovers, and had no bass.  Typical complaint btw.

We went down there and listened to it for a bit and they were right...there was no bass.  In fact the sound was painfully thin and dry.  I told the owner, yea, you don't have any bass.  I can make a single 15 inch woofer wreck this place with less than 20 watts of real power and of course got the look.

After a little persuasion I challenged him by promising to shake all the ashtrays on the tables in the entire building with a bass note from a single 15 inch woofer driven by a 20 watt amplifier just to illustrate what is possible.

Of course the challenge was accepted.  If I succeed, we get the sound contract and your business explodes because unlike what they think, it's not the alcohol that drives the business, it's the sound.  We have proved it more than once.

We set a date, the following night.  My friend Paul and I loaded up an Imperial Folded Horn that we had been tormenting the neighbors with into the truck and hauled it to the club.  It weights 400 lbs, so we had a dolly with us.  The Imperial was modified for the job at hand.  We took out the 15 inch driver and made a blank plywood panel to cover the 15 inch hole where the driver was.  Attached to this panel was a 12 x 12 x 12 inch box with a 12 inch driver in it that wasn't more than 92 dB efficient.  The cube was sealed, and the driver faced the rear of the cabinet so the front of the cabinet where you normally see a 15 inch woofer was just a blank piece of plywood.

This particular alignment Paul and I found by trial and error from months of testing things.  It creates 22 dB of gain at 22Hz.  Yes, the cabinet by itself creates that much gain with a single 12 inch driver...

Don't worry the story is gust getting good...  We wheeled this 28 cubic foot cabinet into the club and placed in the same corner as the existing subs on the dance floor.  We had no intension of hooking it the the DJ booth, or it's pathetic amplifiers.  We brought a tube signal generator with us and the source and on that particular night the only thing we could find in the shop for amplification was an old Hamon Kardon receiver with one channel blown.  

We hooked the good channel of the Harmon Kardon receiver up to the Imperial and connected the Frequency generator up to the inputs.  The place was fairly busy.  There were people eating and hanging out in all the various areas of the club.  The bar was active and soon there would be people wanting to dance...

I told the owner, when you are ready to hear what is possible with regards to bass response in this club let me know and we'll begin the demonstration.

Signal received and I put the frequency generator on 100Hz and turned up the volume until there was a nice growl that the entire area could clearly start to feel.  This was of course the point where many patrons of the establishment looked up to hear what was going on...

As slow as I possibly could ( just as I had done a hundred times at my shop at home ) I began to drop the frequency.  You see, the slower you drop it, the more the phase angle relationship between the space and the woofer begin to twist the room in a very physical way... It's similar to letting an organ pipe blow for several seconds before the low bass wave manifests.

So down the slope we go, 100, 99, 98, ....60Hz.   Now I am noticing people are getting fidgety at their tables... Looking around trying to figure out what hell is that???  I suspect the club owner was thinking the same thing as he was no doubt expecting a MUSIC demo and that's definitely not was this was.

As I slowly continued to drop it the frequency, and as we approached 50 Hz, things took on that "serious" category where you could feel it in your body and things around the space were beginning to shake.

The painfully slow analog drop from 50 to 32Hz is a glorious memory because the entire building was at full attention without a clue what was happening!!!  : )

Oh it gets better...  From 32Hz to 22Hz is where the action is and this is where the entire place began to go into panic mode not sure what the hell was happening but ash trays on all of the tables in the surrounding dining rooms begin to slide around on the tables like air hockey pucks.

22Hz was devastating.  Memorable.  We let it set there for about 30 seconds.  Then we turned off the amp, unhooked everything and wheeled the cabinet right out of the club into the truck and left.  The owner didn't know what just happened.  

After about a day, we were contracted to fix the sound system, which we did.  In fact we put the same cabinet with the same 12 inch driver in it to replace the 4 -18 inch subs original in the place.  It was a science experiment to see how long the $45 12 inch woofer from Eli-Whitney would last under the severe stress of deaf morons night after night...  Surprisingly it lasted 90 days!!!!!  Then the call came.  AHHHHHH.  we have no BASSSSS!!!!  

We went down there and witnessed no doubt one of the most rare things you would ever see in audio, Barr none.  Believe it or not, when we removed the cube from the cabinet, the 12 inch driver's cone was shredded into powder.  The biggest piece we could find was about 6mm in size.  We were all dazed and confused at what could have possibly done this!

It was extreme pressure, a bandpass with a Q of probably about 3!!!  Nevertheless, we fitted the cabinet with a more suitable 15 inch driver in the normal configuration and installed some better amplification and that ran for well over 10 years and had a reputation for the place to go if you liked to dance...

I can only imagine how much richer and better it would have been with a ZROCK2 back then!  

There is no one who owns a ZROCK2 who leaves it in bypass mode for more than an hour or two. It just enhances the sound so beautifully that Lon is not the only one who has elected to purchase a second unit with the anniversary mods rather than have their existing one updated even though it only takes a couple of weeks.  

Think about that, the sound improvement is so great that someone would by another one just to keep from being without one for two weeks.  I have to say to that I understand, because it would be like going for two weeks without music!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 12/19/18 at 12:41:56

Great to hear that the mods elevate the ZROCK2 so that it is not a stumbling block in the modified amp and preamp signal chain Steve. Makes waiting for my new ZROCK2 harder still!

Does the ZROCK2 tube mod use the same small tube as the CSP3-25 mod?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 12/19/18 at 13:26:29

The timing of that post couldn’t have been better, my ZROCK2 with 25th mods is in QC right now, can’t wait to get that thing into my system, I’m imagining it is going to have a profound impact on my entire room. My hope is it somehow makes it to me for Christmas, but I’m not sure even Santa can pull that one off! It’s a catch 22 for me because as soon as I get it in the system for a few days, off goes the MkIV for it’s cap and 25th upgrades,it all makes for some...HAPPY HOLIDAYS...to all...🥗😊🥗

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 12/29/18 at 00:42:47

Is there any current Anniversary modification for a pre-2019 ZSTAGE?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 12/29/18 at 01:17:16

Yes, ZSTAGE s listed on the 25th Anniversary price list Steve posted.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 12/29/18 at 01:19:22

Here you go.

amods1.jpg

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #58 - 12/29/18 at 02:14:37

While I plan on sending in my ZSTAGE for the 25th upgrade...I would first like to hear feedback with owners of this unit with the tube and 25th anniversary mod.

Maybe it’s worth selling my pre 2019 ZStsage and repurchasing it new with tube regulation and 25th anniversary mod.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 01/08/19 at 19:11:43

I just sent my Taboo Mk IV in for the 25th Anniversary Mods. May it find its way back to me speedily. This is a wonderful amp and I think the mods will take it to the moon.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #60 - 01/09/19 at 18:28:39

Cool Lon, I do not blame you for going right down the line of your Decware gear to be 25th'd!

I'm so pleased. Steve maintained what the ZMA puts forth to my ear/brain.....the ZMA has true enhancement.

I liken it to a movie I recently watched: A Simple Favor.
It was shot on the new Panavision’s DXL2 8K camera ....then super sampled, etc, etc......pseudo sampled....won't get into the samantic's.
https://dxl.panavision.com/
My point being, I did not know this before seeing the movie from DVD on my 4k capable Sony Bravia XBR Television. I not only enjoyed the movie....but I'm looking over at Sue saying: "This is not only beautifully shot....the resolution is STUNNING!" Not watching in Blu-ray mind you too! ....and certainly not accessing 4k either.

My ZMA came back with not only the beautiful picture I had to my ears but over all still balanced from top to bottom with more resolution (like the new DXL Pany').....but not hitting you over the head with it ....but truly balanced/saturated/fast.........STUNNING.  So pleased.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 01/09/19 at 18:47:29

Yes Larry I get the "resolution" aspect of the Mods. I love the Taboo Mk IV driving my HR-1s with a ZROCK2 (necessary in my current room). I have the opportunity next month to have a second system, moving my main system upstairs and a second system here where my main system now is. I'm going to use the Taboo here to drive my other pair of HR-1s (the original pair I bought) and I know with the Mods I'm in for a treat. I have the Taboo Mk III as my headphone amp now, and when I can I'll send that back in for the Mods as even as just a headphone amp I know that will be beneficial. (The Mk III sounds really good as is as well).

Then when all the dust settles and I get my fully Anniversary Modded ZROCK2 in I'll send my current ZROCK2 in for mods as well. I want the full 25th Anniversary Mod Experience throughout the house!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #62 - 01/09/19 at 21:53:14

So last night I was listening to some albums that people online suggested were their top 20 of 2018 - most of it is independent, small label, just simply *not* stuff you hear on the radio.  Music was FLAC, streamed via my Tiny Form Factor audio PC via Roon, over network to my DirectStream DAC to my 25th Anniversary modded ZMA.

I've been burning it in, trying to get some hours on the amp after the upgrade. When I first got it home after the update, the bass was amazing, but everything else was "good". Lot's of added detail and a bit of speed, but it didn't sound like my ZMA.  Last night, I'm cooking dinner sampling these new albums, and I'm like DAMN this album sounds great! It wasn't even really my style of music (sort of a Rasta, Hip-hop, R&B fusion with a great beat), but I kept getting distracted by the music and was afraid I'd burn my dinner! LOL

So I sat down with my food, opened up my laptop and clicked through a few of the other albums, and they all sounded amazing! Then it hit me...I must have reached that bloom moment where them amp settles into itself and everything is starting to level out. I didn't really have time for a dedicated listen, going through all my normal demo tunes, so I went back to that first album and heard the harmonics I had been missing, that *something* that made me fall for the ZMA at the Decfest 5 years ago.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend when I can sit down and really do some critical listening - I'll run through my normal demo tunes and see if I can better define what I'm hearing, and how the 25th mod compares to my memory of the ZMA. Hopefully I can be less nebulous than "harmonics I was missing", whatever that means. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 01/09/19 at 22:16:51

I'm glad you got to the "bloom" segment. I know my Monoblocks took a while to bloom, Stone's ZMA did, it's the nature of capacitors I think and there's a bunch of them to settle in and seat!

I find it so interesting how we all use our systems differently. I don't have demo material any longer, I just play my material and occasionally I'll pull out a disc I've played for decades or some material I recorded myself of bands I was in as reference points, but I do that less and less any more. And I really am not that interested in what others think are "the Year's Best" etc. . . . I find new material by following my instincts and the music I already know and occasionally from a jazz thread that I frequent on a music forum. It's all an organized linear sort of journey with music and listening and I don't listen for soundstage and pinpoint details though I often hear those things. (And I use the I2S connection about 99 percent of the time Eric, not the AES/EBU which I only use for some discs that sound a bit better with that interface).

These mods are amazing. I'm so looking forward to my new ZROCK2 with the mods to be built and shipped, and I sent my Taboo Mk IV back for the mods yesterday, and when it comes back I think I'll send my Taboo Mk III back for the mods, and in time the ZROCK2 I'm using now. They do make a cumulative difference. . . add more and stir in some music and you get the experience.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 01/09/19 at 22:19:32

Nice LR. Glad you hit that magical transition point of the burn in process. Enjoy the rest of the ride.

HK

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 01/10/19 at 00:35:54

Great to read LR. Mine was always still my ZMA ....then it went to shat when I dinked around and put a Pangea on my P3 from wall. My Palladian is back for good in that function. I think my ZMA continues to season bloom. Very happy.

Oh, and glad to read your like of it with us both having three of the four available Mod's/sans Nichicon's. I'm not going to lose sleep over not having them.
That's funds toward my couple of wants on the build sheet. My ZBIT IS SO CLOSE ....yet so far. Cry

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #66 - 01/10/19 at 14:09:02

Quote:
(And I use the I2S connection about 99 percent of the time Eric, not the AES/EBU which I only use for some discs that sound a bit better with that interface).

Got it, and I totally get that - it makes sense when you have that option. Pretty much tuning for smoothness.

I'm trying to listen to more things, and see what other people's favorites are to explore new genre or discover new bands. I've found some real gems that way, though I admit there are times where I stop and scowl at the system like "really...that's someone's favorite album of 2018??".

Like Steve does, I tend to do a bunch of my listening around the corner from my system while doing other things. You know it's good when you keep perking up, or find yourself wandering up between the speakers for a better listen and you don't even remember entering the room. That's why I was afraid I'd burn my dinner! LOL

I'm very happy with the ZMA now - I don't feel like it's struggling to keep up with my little modded Zen - in fact, after last night I think it may have bumped it a little bit (mine not being a full blow 25th Anniversary build).  Maybe I need to pick up some hermetic resistors and stuffs. Smiley

Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #67 - 01/10/19 at 16:31:16

Quote:
(mine not being a full blow 25th Anniversary build).  Maybe I need to pick up some hermetic resistors and stuffs.

LR, glad to hear yours and Stone's ZMAs have snapped to!  I certainly experienced a certain degree of pre-burn in discontent, but not to the same level as you guys.  

I would say don't underestimate the affect of the large cap upgrade.  I am fairly confident my Mallory red caps had exceeded their lifespan.  Yeah, they still worked technically but I honestly believe they were not performing up to the potential of their role.  They were NOS when installed (not sure how much they dry up just sitting in storage) and they do warm up pretty well under use as evidenced by my laser thermometer readings.  They don't exceed a safe operating temperature by any means  but every degree, even within normal temperature ranges will reduce their lifespan, however slight.  

One thing I immediately noticed when I installed the new large electrolytic caps was my amp stays on much longer after I power it off then with the red caps.  Im not sure if that is an indication of its ability to store and delivery power, but with my red caps, as soon as I flipped the power switch, the VR's would immediately flicker and the output tubes went off.  With the new Mundorfs, there are a few seconds of delay between switching the ZMA off and the output and VR tubes going dark  Just a hunch, but I believe my new large caps are better able to quickly and robustly serve my 47uF power supply caps which in turn better serve the bypass caps.  I understand their major role is ripple rejection, but if their quick/dynamic delivery of power wasn't a factor in improving the power supply chain, paying attention to the ESR/ESL values of those caps would not matter - and from my experience it does.  With my system, I also went the film cap route with the 47uFs so I believe they also had an affect, but BonnyA only did the large electrolytics and he noticed a marked improvement even prior to bypassing his stock 47uF electrolytic caps.  

Anyway, just something to consider based on my experience with this amp and all I have done to it.  This is not a targeted effort to empty your wallet   Wink

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/10/19 at 16:36:20

Jeff, your description of your Red Caps make me think they were run down.  I had/have several seconds (maybe 5 to 10?) of sound when I powered down my ZMA both with the original reds and the new big caps.  Always a couple seconds before the meters start to drop.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #69 - 01/10/19 at 22:03:50

Yeah, that sounds very short - when I first got my ZMA, Palomino and I were doing power cable testing, and we were able to pull the power plug from the ZMA and the wall, and plug in a new cable before the music sputtered to a stop!  I'm pretty sure I posted about that, and I may have even taken a video.

I asked Steve about new big caps, and he felt the ones he's getting (when you can find them in stock!) hold a crapload of juice. He discovered this when he was draining various caps, and the brand that he favored took forever to drain and/or may have melted a resistor or welded something...I forgot exactly what he said. I think it was the  Nichicon 3900uF? Some of the others he looked at were a weak pop and done.

I can't afford the big caps right now - way too broke. But if those Nichicon come back into stock somewhere, I may have to snap some up.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #70 - 01/10/19 at 23:03:22

I remember you posting about that LR. I Was doing it recently into my P3 with stock, XLO, Pangea and PK-10 PALLADIAN. my big reds smile and say take your time the mojo juice ain't dyin' out of these Caps. Most impressive.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Keith
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 01/11/19 at 01:19:41

If anybody is interested, there are 3 Nichicon NX 3300uf 500volt caps available at Arrow electronics. Part number LNX2H332MSEH
cheers

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #72 - 01/11/19 at 12:33:13

LOL, I see someone snapped up two of them already!

That price is good, too. I saw it selling for more (but out of stock) elsewhere last night. I was also checking out the other Nichicon series to see if there might be an alternative.

The NX series is the one that Steve likes, it appears to be a long life industrial cap. The QR series is slightly smaller, and has a typical 5000 hour lifespan, but is a fast charge/discharge rate and I was seeing it in stock at several places in the 450v flavor.

I also saw that TDK has some similar caps coming out this year that are low ESR with similar specs to the Nichicon lines. I didn't find out where they are made though - I would typically go for Japanese over Chinese made caps myself.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #73 - 01/12/19 at 02:01:39

Yeah, I want them can put in with a bud.

Jeff, you did stick with Mundorf mlytic HP+ 4700uf 500 VDC correct?

Where can I get them?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #74 - 01/12/19 at 07:13:20

Stone,
Yes, those are the large caps that I ended up selecting.  Couldn’t be more please with their performance in my ZMA and the ESR/ESL are the best I could find based on my research.  BonnyA also has those caps, which are 4 Pole.  

I got mine from HiFi Collective in the UK.  They ship fast and cheap, believe it or not.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 01/12/19 at 14:30:29

Thanks Jeff. However, I'm going to stay with 2 pole Nichicon's. Keep things to spec with the Zen Master's mod's.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1408725911/550#550
PG 12 Reply# 551
Steve wrote:
"Yes I have been evaluating several caps in the NX range and found 4700uf is larger than I wanted to go.  I have found the range so far between 3300 to 3900 uf to be more desirable. So the cap values I will be using for the mod will be anything in this window.

Steve"

Arrow Electronics is close to me here. Eden Prairie MN.
Order and pick up/potentially (23+ weeks).

HOWEVER,
I also have Digi-Key north of me here. Thief River Falls MN.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/LNX2H332MSEH/493-9179-ND/1533...

NOT 20,000 hours (only 5000). 23 week lead time for the 20,000 hours and they only listed the 350 volt (not 500 volt). ...probably could order the 3300uF 500 volt/20,000 hours and wait...... .
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=LNX2H332MSEH

Might go with the 5000 hours. 122 in stock!
However, I would use up these caps in 3.5 years.

OR, what could I use from this page in stock with the correct diameter.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=Nichicon%20NX%203900uF

I could go 3900UF 450V 20,000 hours of course/I think?
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/LNX2W392MSEG/493-9160-ND/2549...
Can I clamp in the 2.5" diameter vs. the 3 inch dia' really needed?

Jeff, Eric & will, ....definitely enlighten. ...and of course, the Zen Master.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #76 - 01/12/19 at 17:14:25

I don't know what all Steve has tested, but the NX are the only ones he "blessed" so far.

You *need* at least 450v I would think. I wouldn't go lower. Unless you like the sound and flavor of a capacitor blowing up and venting it's juice into your livingspace.

I have a feeling Steve goes with the 20,000 hour ones because they are the most like the original Mallory Red, which are long life industrial caps - I think he said for a Nuclear Power Plant or something like that. IMHO, they have more density, and I think that contributes to their longer life and holding power. I think the higher the density, the ESR can suffer a little though (depending on chemistry and design of course).

Arrow has some Kemet brand with specs very similar to the NX, and supposedly lower ESR, but I don't know if Steve has tested them. They are also $40 cheaper! Then there are other Nichicon variants, but none of them are Long Life - but are faster charge/discharge, high ripple for rectifier use. And as I mentioned TDK has some coming out that they intend to surpass the Nichicon on specs - on paper they look pretty good.

This is a far cry different than when I looked six months ago. I was seeing empty shelves and fewer options. I think we're looking at big caps at the right time! I guess it helps that solar seems to be doing well, and some of these monster caps are used in solar inverters. (shrug) Anyways, we have options. I'm willing to try another brand, I just don't have the funds right now.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #77 - 01/12/19 at 17:34:19

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #78 - 01/12/19 at 17:59:25

Thanks LR!

Yes, you did mention these Kemets and low impedance/Low ESR. Thanks for that Link.

Something to ponder and these look good to go.

From my work in Bloomington I could run out to get these on Monday.
However, I don't want to void my warranty. These caps are something I can do. Steve has not tested these either, like you said.

I can happily live with the Red Malory's for awhile longer and see how things shake down. I wish Steve had the Nich's when my ZMA was there/it would have been done. I don't want to spend another $180 in shipping, just for these Caps I can do here with confidence.
Plus, my blood pressure can't take it when I pack my ZMA in its Pelican Case and hand it to the shipping Nazi's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #79 - 01/12/19 at 19:00:13

Quote:
Plus, my blood pressure can't take it when I pack my ZMA in its Pelican Case and hand it to the shipping Nazi's.

Yeah, I get that...paying them to throw my amp around doesn't sit well with me. I'm thankful I'm in a situation where my work will *pay me* to drive down to Peoria, and I can drop my amp off with Steve. Smiley

That said, I have a shirt somewhere that says "I Void Warranties" so you know what I'd be doing.   Wink

Hmm, I also thought on this, and my ZMA is just finally blooming - I don't want to muck it up by throwing new caps in there right now. So I'll chill and enjoy my big red caps for a while. Maybe after I narrow down what tubes I want to keep and sell off the rest I'll consider changing the caps. Nothing wrong with what I have now though.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #80 - 01/12/19 at 19:08:02

I read you on all counts, LR. Wink
So, I know you won't be surprised if the Kemet 500 VDC 3300uF Low ESR, are in and seasoning come mid April or May. Cool

Not mucking up what is blooming and I'm so enjoying right now though, either.

Having said what I said.....let's not forget the Zen Master's genius on these mod's: Bypass Caps, Glass Resistor's & output tube Screen grid Resistor's. As I listen with Joy! Worth every penny + shipping. Not kissing arse.... Just the facts Jack.
I wouldn't mind Steve's opinion on the Kemet's in question?
See reply#77, for complete Link.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #81 - 01/12/19 at 23:11:56

I just had another HOLY CRAP moment!

I'm listening to the Paul McGowen2 playlist on Tidal that Palomino was nice enough to assemble for us from Paul's Post the other day. Same setup as before when I noticed the bloom. I'm sitting here building audiophile PCs for some customers, just letting the list play for hours, there was a slight pause then Fanfare For the Common Man came on as Roon software switched from Paul's playlist to my Demotunes Playlist.

The tympany hit and I was genuinely startled - heart pounding, and fight or flight adrenaline dumping through my body. Then this big grin as I realized what it was once my brain caught up.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it earlier in this thread - the 25th Anniversary mod and the 25th Anniversary amps are so dead quiet, and so sudden and impactful on the leading edge of notes that I find it startling.

I've listened to many amps over the years, and very few have that 0-60 feel that live music has - think about a band that starts a song where drummer quietly goes one-two-three-four then CRACKS the snare drum on the first beat of the song. The ZMA and even the little Zen do this now, and I friggen love it!

For those that were at Decfest when the Imperial SOs and Betsy Baffles were hooked up, and we heard a bass note that made everyone in the room go HOLY SHIT - not because it was loud, but because it was impactful....well this is like that, except with *any* leading note!

I'm so in love with the ZMA now - I really feel it keeps up with the Zen amp (at least my modded one for sure). And it's starting to sound like the ZMA again, where vocals have this texture to it that is a combination of the artists voice and even some of the dryness of a sensitive microphone. It's that rich harmonics and texture that when you hear it makes you think damn they have a great voice, and that's what sold me on the ZMA 5 years ago...except it's even mucher! LOL

I think this sinches it, I'm going to hold off on the big caps upgrade for a bit. I'm quite pleased with what I'm hearing now.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 01/12/19 at 23:33:29

SnowMass I think was helping out there too Eric, but yes, these Modded amps really are "alive"--it's as if there is no real lag between the note playback at all, it's as if if just hits your ear at the same time as the speaker, that's sort of how it seems to me.

I was just listening to this cd:

At one moment the whole group, singer and backing trio, all just came out of a gentle groove into a moment of high energy drive and that never sounded more "real"--more as if a live presentation--in any system before. 3 watts seeming to present a concert stage with no restriction or constriction, and a murmur to a roar with no limitation. . . . (something I find these small tubes excel at). These 25th Anniversary modded amps are very special--I'm sure that holds down the line and I can't wait to hear what they do for the Taboo Mk IV.

Yours and Larry's ZMA are still "babies" in the terms of seasoning in. I think you'll find they reach several more plateaux before they attain a near god-like status.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 01/12/19 at 23:51:17

LR,

You are really making me salivate about sending my ZMA in for the 25th Anniversary modifications. I'm doing my best to exercise patience, waiting for the Nichicon capacitors to arrive, before sending the amplifier to the mother ship. Ah, the anticipation & for my 25th Anniversary modded ZROCK2 build as well.

HK

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #84 - 01/12/19 at 23:59:16

Quote:
SnowMass I think was helping out there too Eric,

Damnit, I meant to include that in my description, but I was so excited I forgot. Thanks for the reminder Lon. Yeah, Snowmass definitely had something to do with that - also dead quiet and zero to 60 improvement.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #85 - 01/13/19 at 00:18:43

I'm still glad I did 3 out of the 4 mod's now (you think)! I live close enough to drive down in May as still planned for the Nichicon's or Kemet, maybe? That is why I said mid April or May doing the Kemet solo here. Steve should have the Nich'es by then. Wink Cool

Cost more? Really? To drive down (by appt) with my girlfriend, visit Steve, Devon, Sarah and her hubby. I have not seen Steve or DeVon face to face in almost 11 years. Listen to some great tunes on great Decware Gear. Have my mod completed and not over stay my welcome. Drive back up along the River home.....priceless. Plus, lets not forget the shipping Nazi's DO NOT touch my ZMA....BP stays low and the shipping cost is better spent! Wink

I think you're right Lon. Our Mod's are still babies. More to come. I to today had some, in my case, rim shots grab my attention from the other room. Had me adrenaline rush into the room and start the song over and just marvel at it's alive with the song in its entirety. Like I said and you just said LR, as good as this is going....no hurry on the big Caps.

First things first though! Mid February I should get my ZBIT** and late March or early April get my ZLC*. Right now? Continue enjoying the seasoning in of my ZMA Mod's.............. . Plus, seasoning/enjoying a beautiful matched power quad of Tung-Sol 7027A's from thetubestore.

**I have a form of the ZBIT/RCA coming out of my ZDSD. I want the dual attenuation (option/ordered), to compare/contrast, coming out of the ZDSD balanced outputs to ZBIT to RCA feeding my ZMA! I want the ZBIT to future proof my potential next DAC, too.
Note: The output voltage of the trannies coming out of the ZDSD directly run to my ZMA RCA inputs, lets me get so very close to what my NOS Input Tubes are doing. I am in a smaller dedicated Room/Treated...that purposefully augments this direct connect intimacy.

I rarely put in my vintage ARC LS-2B MkII (Class A) Line Stage (Pre)/my additional Kimber KS1030 is used. However, fun to have in sometimes.....because I will of course run the Balanced DIRECT Option out of the LS-2B, to the ZBIT. ...bring on in my ZBIT!

*ZLC, could supplant my P3 entirely. Kimber PK-10 Palladian from wall to ZLC.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #86 - 02/17/19 at 18:47:45

QUESTION FROM the Decware Fans WEB PAGE:

Steve, when will the anniversary mods for the Rachel and ZP3 be ready?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 02/18/19 at 00:07:13

I got the Anniversary mods done on my ZP3 before Christmas.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #88 - 02/18/19 at 01:16:09

Hi Adam!  I have my TT boxed up and will ship it to KAB tomorrow to let them work their magic on it.

Also, I’m calling Sarah tomorrow to set up shipping my ZP3 in for the mods. I got mine used, and it came with the standard caps. While I’m letting them do the 25th mods, should I have the standard cap changed over to the beeswax cap?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 02/20/19 at 00:31:32

Sorry for the late reply.  I think Steve might need to upgrade the caps to beeswax if they are not already.  You should ask him about it.  He's very frank about what he thinks is worth doing.

Are you having Kevin rewire the tonearm?  He can put the tube inside if he does.  Come to think of it, I'm sure you'd want that anyway since he can get rid of the stock ICs and put RCA jacks on the back.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #90 - 02/20/19 at 00:37:53

Yep. Having all the mods done. Will Kevin put the tube on the inside of the tonearm as part of the rewiring, or should I call him about that?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 02/20/19 at 00:44:37

You should tell him to be safe.  He may do it automatically now, I don't know.  When he did mine in 2007 he didn't offer the inner-tube.

I don't know if you're getting the Isonoe feet but I think they are a good option -- far better than the stock feet, especially as over time the stock feet can collapse a bit.  I got mine for less by shopping around.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #92 - 02/20/19 at 01:56:44

I got the Isonoes last week😊.  I’ll call Kevin tomorrow and make sure about the tube. You’d think as much trouble as it was to get on the outside, that would have been the first thing I asked him about Undecided

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #93 - 03/19/19 at 05:43:46

I know I've posted about this somewhere, perhaps in the TORII MK4 forum, but it's worth updating this thread with the resulting great success of the Zen TORII MK4 Anniversary Mods...

Without getting into the back story of the Anniversary mods other than to say all of our amplifiers got the mods and all responded extremely well with the sound elevating proportional to the money spent which is simply outstanding.

The Zen TORII MK4 amplifier has been a nearly 25 year wrestling match with a circuit I was convinced could give an impossible sound I was after, one that was intoxicating and seductive with the kind of resolution that shames solid state and a sound stage that was literally 60 feet deep.  An amplifier that had all the even order harmonic qualities and virtues of SET but the power of push-pull with the same transparency of a 3 part signal path... very rare.

Tonight I am listening for about the 8th time to the Zen TORII MK4 with the full Anniversary mods and just for fun I am running a set of 807 output tubes on each side using the appropriate adapters and driving them with a pair of matched Amperex NOS gold pinned 6992's. The bass of the 807's is polite, ideal if you don't want to piss off your neighbors or your wife, but don't mistake polite for lacking... it sounds more real than anything you'll hear any time soon. The remainder of the spectrum is simply stunning, hypnotic, stimulating, mesmerizing.

When I listen to this amplifier tonight with these mods I feel like the nearly 25 year battle has been won and the result actually exceeds what I thought was possible with this amplifier.  It's a real hallmark moment actually!

We're talking about just around $800 of strategically chosen and implemented exotic parts elevating this amplifier by almost 50%.  More elevation than any other Decware amp with similar mods.  Please think it over, and don't hurry to send your amps in for the mods because we're almost swamped as it is ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 03/19/19 at 15:09:52

I was just shutting my system down last down last night right about when you posted this. I can attest to your evaluations of the Torri’s elevation in all aspects of the amp. As everything new and modified for 25th Anniversary Mods and upgrades settles in, I now know I have no reason to move myself into a ZMA because of my room size. That upgrade would have cost me dearly, although I’m sure I be happy with it, I feel absolutely no need now to even dream of it. My Torri MKIV now just continues to blow me away, it has unrelenting reserve power, it just doesn’t quit, the sound is so different than before. The mods and upgrades truly are a great value for the money, I am amazed every time I hear the system and the amazing thing is, it just keeps getting better and better.
My ZLC is on the brown truck, so I can’t wait to get that worked into the system. I know it is going to make a substantial addition as my dedicated feed still picks up the furnace fan, the dishwasher, the kitchen lights, hell, I think my clock in the bedroom is mucking no things up AC wise!
Can’t thank you enough Steve for your perseverance on this amp, I am a lucky guy to own one.   Smiley

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #95 - 03/22/19 at 00:02:02

is there going to be 25th Anniv. mods for Tori MK.3's?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #96 - 03/22/19 at 00:38:47

Yes, it's listed on the price sheet Steve posted some months back.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #97 - 03/22/19 at 19:14:19

and where might this price list be?
I'm unable to find it anywhere.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 03/22/19 at 19:15:45

First post of this thread on page 1.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #99 - 03/24/19 at 05:08:53

So far I have personally done Anniversary mods on just over 100 units.  As I look over at the incoming bench there are 7 more that appeared since Friday morning.  I've been getting great feedback from everyone so far and it's a thrill each time I do one because I know what the customer is going to experience when he or she gets it back.  (Yes, Decware actually has female customers and the reason you don't see many in main stream audio is because it doesn't actually sound that good and women just call it like they hear it).

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print