Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 01:38:52 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience (Read 30087 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience
Reply #250 - 06/23/23 at 09:52:50

Dom,

The CSP2+ andCSP3 w/ Anniversary mods are truly special to my ears. When you get a chance, try a good 6SN7 smoked glass RCA with adapter in the front position. The added soundstage dimensionality is pretty nice.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #251 - 06/23/23 at 16:23:40

HK suggested:

try a good 6SN7 smoked glass RCA with adapter in the front position. The added soundstage dimensionality is pretty nice

I recently did some tube rolling that seems to have bumped my UFO25 into a higher level of performance with noticeable improvement in the sound stage. It was recommended that I place a CryoTone 12AU7, which I had in the ZRock, in the input position of the amp. The past couple of evenings have been remarkable as a result.

I forgot, however, that at about the same time, I had returned a 6SN7 smoked glass RCA to the front position of the CSP 2+.  

I will need to investigate if one or the other tube switch resulted in the positive change, or perhaps there is something about how the two work together that results in such a positive gain. The bottom line, however, is that the change is remarkable.  

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #252 - 06/23/23 at 16:40:19

I've been using these same 6SN7 in all three positions of my CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods. Great sound--especially with heapdhones.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #253 - 06/24/23 at 00:03:54

Lon and Roger,

Thanks for the info on the 6SN7 tube.  I actually have a Decware 6SN7 that I bought a while ago from a forum member.   I do plan to give it a try… need to buy an adapter and then give it a whirl.  

Thanks,
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 06/24/23 at 02:09:49

I have a 1943 RCA VT-231/6SN7 Gray Glass and out of the many 6SN7 tubes I’ve experimented with—it’s in my top 3.  Just love the romance this tube brings to the table and it has been a mainstay as in input driver in my Had amp for the longest time.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #255 - 06/25/23 at 22:18:55

Mistake and typo in my last post #253. I have a Decware 6N5P Decware tube and not a 6SN7.  

Needless to say I started digging for some RCA smoked glass 6SN7 tubes  My adapter will be here the second week of July, so I have some time.  Went on Brent Jesse’s website for more info.

Question…out of the smoked glass RCA’s, does anyone have a preference on the short or medium tubes besides Kamran who already posted his favorite.  So far I’ve been eyeing up the 6SN7 GT’s.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #256 - 06/26/23 at 00:17:12

Dom,

Last time I checked, SSNR had a good supply of 6SN7 smoked glass at reasonable prices.

https://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/6/TubesListed_6-5.htm

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #257 - 06/26/23 at 01:42:48

That last link to SSNR for RCA 6SNR smoked glass did not seem to work.  Try this one instead:

https://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/6/TubesListed_6-5.html

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #258 - 06/26/23 at 06:18:12

Thanks Tony!!  The second link worked..I’m checking it out now.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #259 - 07/11/23 at 18:05:22

All this talk of RCA Gray Glass 6SN7 led me to move a pair of mine from the CSP3 to my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

Which led me to roll rectifiers and the 12AU7 in my ZROCK2. The new DAC I have keeps seasoning in and impressing me and is leading me to choose different tubes in my complements to take advantage of its clear and smooth nature.

So with the 6SN7 and adaptor bases in the input of the Monoblocks I settled on a pair of RCA 5V4G as rectifiers (and I have RCA 0D3 in for the output tubes, and 75C1 as regluation tubes for the input tubes, and Steve's output tubes in the Monoblocks). That led me to a lot of experimentation with tubes in the ZROCK2 and I settled on an RCA 6189. I'm still running Amperex 6085 with adaptor bases in the ZTPRE--that's an amazing tube set I just can't seem to do without.

The combination of all these is an amazing tonal balance with some startling 3d details and a great dynamic sense to the presentation.I'm enjoying amazing sound with all types of recordings, which is my main goal.

So I expect my SEWE300B to ship soon and upset the apple cart with its new style and character. It's a shame that we're about to have the hottest temps of the year yet for a few weeks--my main system is in the hottest part of the house. If I run the air I can't listen, the unit is so loud. So I'll begin what I do this time of year: run the unit a while, shut it off, listen as long as I can before getting too uncomfortable (Fiona the dachshund is the first to not want to take it any longer) and then repeat for the next session. Is it autumn yet?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #260 - 07/12/23 at 02:04:50

Now I don’t feel guilty for wishing fall would come sooner! I thought I was the only one…

I’m sort of in the same boat—don’t have air conditioning in my finished basement listening room.  We did get two baseboard heaters to keep it warm during the winter and they do get consistent play (no pun intended) during the winter months but it does get really warm in the dead of summer (so much for heat rising up-it seems to accumulate downstairs) and with running a tube amp for too long—things can get really toasty.  That’s why I tend not to run the amp all day during summer—only turning it on for a couple of hours prior to my listening session, which typically lasts for an hour and then turning the amp off immedietly afterwards.

#firstworldproblems

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #261 - 07/12/23 at 02:23:53

Whew, we're sort of in the same boat. I love winter the most. . .the system sounds best then for some reason. And I feel less guilty at whiling away the hours just listening to music.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print