Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:10:57 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience (Read 29784 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience
Reply #200 - 01/30/23 at 14:59:25

Okay three new tweaks the last few months that have moved things forward towards improved sound for me:

First, under my speakers I’ve had great success with various isolating footers to lead me to the conclusion that in my systems isolating speakers from the floor is more successful than coupling them. My latest experiment involved trying IsoAcoustics Aperta 300 Isolation Stands. These contributed a very different presentation that I had to work with and oddly I think these needed to “break in” a few days but when I had it all dialed in I got a bit more of sound stage width and depth (due to the nature of my main system’s room I don’t get the sound stage I might in a wider, larger space) and a ver clear top end and tight bottom end. After a month plus of listening I’m really enjoying the sound and consider it an upgrade.

Then I decide to add one more Audio Magic M-1 fuse in the system. I had all Synergistic Research Purple fuses in the system, moving from Audio Magic Super. I then replaced the Purple in my PS Audio P15 regenerator with the new kid on the block, the Audio Magic M-1 and really liked the little bit of smoothening that brought. Months later I was still struggling with a bit of an edge to the top end and following the lead of some of the PS Audio forumites I replaced the Purple in my ZROCK2 with another M-1. After a week of use it has proven to be a good investment—took that bit of an edge right away and the tonal balance is just where I want it. (Yes, these things are expensive; but music and stereo stuff is what I spend my money on, it’s moved all my other vices aside).

Finally after some discussion here about Mad Scientist products I decided to try their Black Discus Nano and ordered six which I placed atop the power cords at the IEC inlet of my P15, my PS Audio DSD DAC and on the Farad Super3 that feeds its audio board, my ZTPRE, and the two SE84UFO3 Monoblocks. Immediately everything got darker and slower which was startling and only lasted about ten minutes, and then things seemed hardly any different than without them but over the next days of listening I noticed little details of imaging and dynamics that indicated to me that they were working as advertised in lowering the noise floor a bit. I took them out for a day. . . and was happier when I put them back in. I’ve ordered a few more, one for my ZROCK2 and for my audio-visual system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #201 - 01/30/23 at 17:35:03

Lon,

I’m glad to hear that you had a positive effect with the Mad Scientist Audio black nano disks. I have to say that I was skeptical at first when I got them years ago… But once I tried them on my tube gear I did notice the lowered noise floor as well.  Prior to owning both of my Decware tube amps… I had used it on my solid state home AV receiver and did  notice variations as well… but they were more profound when I use them on both Decware amps.  I do plan to order more now that I just got my ZRock2.   I’ve also been very intrigued about swapping out the fuses in both my amps… But I know that they can get a bit expensive so for right now I’m going to hold off. I just picked up the Rega Fono MM K5 preamp, so right now I have shifted my focus a bit into vinyl.  It never ends but it’s so much fun!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #202 - 01/30/23 at 17:45:27

Hey Dom,

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Today at 09:35:03

...I’ve also been very intrigued about swapping out the fuses in both my amps… But I know that they can get a bit expensive so for right now I’m going to hold off.

This is my advice to those who are #fusecurious. Start with ceramic fuses that should only cost a dollar or two but should be an audible improvement over stock glass fuses. If you you don't hear a difference you are done. If you do then you can think about moving up the fuse food chain. For me, I never ever thought I'd go in for "hundred buck" fuses but a few years ago against my better judgement I bought Synergistic Research Orange fuses and I don't regret it at all. They go on sale, usually in the summer, and you can get 3 for the price of 2 which helps a little.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #203 - 01/30/23 at 18:15:33

Dom, CA's advice above is good. Start small and see if you hear the difference. I started with Furutech fuses that they don't seem to make any longer and the most basic Audio Magic fuses and I heard the difference. . . darn it. And I've heard improvements all the way up the ladder of the Synergistic Research (I started off with a used blue I bought from a PS Audio forumite. . . and then Orange which I actually liked the least) and then Purple. And with Audio Magic went to Super and then M-1.

I'd be surprised if you didn't hear the difference. I'd liken it to tube-rolling to really really good tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #204 - 01/30/23 at 21:00:28

Lon/CAJames,

Thanks for the advice. Since my Zen amp has been the daily driver lately….I will try that one first.   I’ve read other posts where the Orange fuse is talked about quite often.  I’ll definitely try the ceramic fuses first to hear how it sounds. I’ll keep an eye out for that sale for the orange fuses in the summer…by then I’m sure I would be ready to jump into the boutique fuses.  I feel like sometimes with my audio journey I get pulled in different directions on the fly, so while it keeps it interesting, it also prevents me from staying on a continued path.  Good and bad…but either way I’m not complaining.  

James….I’m still waiting for the EL822 tubes to come in from the Ukraine.  There has been an issue with the Royal Mail service with  a strike and a cyber attack….so all imports have been put on a brief hold.  I’ve been itching to try them out with the GZ rectifiers I bought from you.  So right now I’m in a holding pattern so to speak.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #205 - 01/30/23 at 21:42:30

Dom,

Are you in the US? I have a pair of 3 amp fuses I bought on ebay from China for my UFO and ZP3. They were cheap and I'm a skeptic that wanted to hear what a fuse could do before spending on "good" ones. They did make a difference, I thought they were a bit bright for my tastes. If you're in the US, PM your address and I'll send you one. I'm going to keep one for emergency use I don't need two. I got a pair of Oranges from PCX when they were clearing them out. I like the oranges, but have only heard the stock fuse and the Chinese fuses. I believe the Orange fuses are being discontinued. Anyhow, I figure trying one out won't hurt, maybe it works better for you.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #206 - 01/31/23 at 07:04:07

Sean,

That would be great.  Thank you for the offer.  I’ll PM you.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #207 - 02/07/23 at 00:43:50

Sean, have you tried changing the direction on the fuse that is a little bright? I find with fuses one direction is a little brighter than another, for whatever reason.

The M-1 fuse has completely settled in now and with the Sunbeam (Holland made) 12AU7 in the ZROCK2 I am getting just the right sound. I have left the system alone as far as tube-rolling for over a week which is almost some sort of record.

In fact the system is sounding so so good I feel like a madman inviting an SEWE300B into my listening room, especially since I have a new DAC coming and that will be another jump in sound quality, and another layer cost to manage. But. . . I just have to hear the 300B and I realize now I really can't keep both the Monoblocks AND the 300B so the winner will stay after a month or so . . . .

Wow, I never thought I'd be in this upcoming position.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #208 - 02/07/23 at 16:55:34

Lon, I didn’t try it in the opposite direction. I was aware that was an option, if it sounded bad. I don’t think the fuses sounded horrible, they just shifted focus towards the brighter side and maybe a bit of focus off the low end. I’m not a fan of brighter sounded and my room seems sensitive to that. While they were racking up burn in hours I found the clearance deal on the Orange fuses. Once I popped those in, I didn’t look back. I sent one of the fuses to Dominick for him to fiddle with. Depending how it works for him the idea of switching directions could be an option for him. The Create fuses were really an experiment, my first experience of upgrading fuses.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #209 - 02/07/23 at 17:00:52

Glad you tried both directions, sad that neither was really right. "Bright" is my worst enemy as well. I had Orange, and in my system there was an edginess that I kept gritting my teeth listening to when I had more than one. I went from there to Purple and Audio Magic M-1 and the mix of those is perfect for me. Yes, they are expensive--but this is where I spend my money AND they really do make a difference in the system. I already have another M-1 for the new PS Audio DAC coming in a week or two (perhaps) and I'll have to think about which of the two fuses to use in the SEWE300B when it arrives (takes two!)

It's nice to see that others find fuses to make an impact; I'm not the only crazy one. Wink

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #210 - 02/08/23 at 05:52:49

Sean,

I’ll be able to mess with the fuses in the upcoming days since I’ll be off from work.  I’ll post my experience with flipping the fuses around to hear how they sound.  

Where did you find the Orange fuses on clearance…I may be tempted to pull the trigger.  I went to the website of the M-1 fuses Lon is using….and I’m intrigued.  

I’ve been listening to my vinyl rig lately after getting the Rega fono preamp in house and the ZROCK2.  All I can say is that I’m on a new tear and I now have my wife telling me albums she wants me to buy.  This is the first time she has actively been interested in music…so I’m stoked.  I now even have my 11 year old daughter dropping the needle…and she loves it.  

Dom

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #211 - 02/08/23 at 17:00:27

Dom,

I got the fuses from PCX, I think they were $80 each. https://www.partsconnexion.com/srfuse-orange.html

Since they are discontinued, they may be tough to find. I believe on Audiogon they do a buy two, get one free a few times a year.

A few guys here are getting their vinyl side up n running. I think my vinyl side is set up where it'll be for awhile. For the past two weeks I've been getting my digital file side smoothed out. I upgraded the card in my Schiitbox Bifrost and while it's no world beater, I'm finally able to sit and relax and not have digital "cringe" or "glare". I wonder if the fuse in the Schiit...oh look, rabbit hole!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #212 - 02/08/23 at 17:20:11

That is very timely Sean, as I just blew one of my SR Orange fuses this morning.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #213 - 02/08/23 at 23:01:46

Doh! Sorry to hear that. I had fuse blowing anxiety for a bit, every time I power things up it goes away a little bit.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #214 - 02/09/23 at 01:39:42

Went through some tubes in one of my "tackle" boxes and put an RCA triple mica D-getter 6189 into the ZROCK2.

Very nice presentation after that all warmed up (seems to take at least five hours). Quite accurate and yet a dash of warmth. I'll leave this one in a while.

The Audio Magic M-1 fuse in the ZROCK2 is all seasoned in and is a great choice for that component. The system is just shining right now, giving me great soundstage even in the position I'm forced to use the speakers which is not the most conducive for soundstage, and great dynamic "breath" to the sound.

In a way I have been driving myself crazy because I ordered both a new DAC and the SEWE300B and shouldn't have ordered both, but couldn't NOT order either one of them. Then I told myself to justify the expense I would sell my Monoblocks if the SEWE300B is better or vice versa. But the truth is. . . I can't imagine selling my Monoblocks. Period. Unless I needed money for a crisis and there was no choice. So I'll have to scrimp and save and sell off some stuff more determinedly because I just know the Monoblocks will stay, put to use as a headphone amp or some such and possibly rotated into the main system every now and then. Even though that is the less sane solution to the fiscal problem I put myself in, I slept easier as soon as I did make it!

Maybe the anxiety was just a byproduct of the cold I seem to have caught last week. Unfortunately my wife slid into it as well. We are experiencing a lot of symptoms that some vaccinated and boosted adults such as ourselves do come down with, but we tested and we're negative, and we're starting to be on the other side of the illness after day four or so. Whew. I am rarely sick, and I don't like it, and our dog Fiona really does not like it when both her servants are under the weather!

I got to listen to a few hours of music today and I swear it helps me heal. I don't know what I would do without music, it's my biggest comfort and passion I think.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #215 - 02/09/23 at 12:08:31

Sean,

Thanks for the info.  I know we are supposed to use a 3A  slo blow fuse but  parts connection only has the 3.15 A fuse listed.  While I’m sure the 3.15 A fuse is fine to use….did you happen to order a  3A fuse and they are now just out of them…or did you buy the 3.15A fuse?  

Lon….I was surprised when you originally said you would possibly sell your monoblocks if you preferred the 300B better.  I love my  fully modified SE84C+ Amp, so I’m hoping someday I’ll get lucky enough to acquire another one to have a monoblock setup.  It won’t have the VR tubes like your mono’s …but I’m ok with that.  

Today I have a free day…so I’ll be running both the Torii and the Zen amp as I go through some new Vinyl I bought, and search my streaming services for new music to listen to.  

Dom

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #216 - 02/09/23 at 12:57:25

Dom,

SR does not make a 3A small, slow blow orange fuse. The 3.15A fuse is the one you want. I've had the orange fuses throughout my equipment for two years. Sound great and no blown fuses to date following my turn on/off sequence.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #217 - 02/09/23 at 16:02:17

Roger,

Thank you. I just didn’t know since this is my first go round into exploring fuses.  At half off….it makes no sense not to dive in.  There is so much positive feedback from everyone here by upgrading their fuses that I’ve developed FOMO!  

Dom

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #218 - 02/09/23 at 16:44:13

Just keep in mind the SR fuses are directional. Give it a good 5-10 hours of listening with familiar music then switch it around to see what sounds best. Enjoy.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #219 - 02/09/23 at 16:44:40

Confirming what HK said, 3.15 is what I put in my ZP3 and UFO.

FOMO - the struggle is real. No matter the improvements and upgrades I make, there’s always “just one more”!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #220 - 02/09/23 at 22:28:07

Sean,

Please tell me more about your Schiit Bifrost upgrade. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading the card in mine.  I like the idea of the upgrade making the Bifrost a truly balanced DAC, especially since I run it with my ZBIT.  Other than that,can you tell me more about what you are hearing from the upgrade.  At $300 bucks…that puts the cost close to a Gungnir and other DAC’s like the Denefrips. That’s why I’ve been a bit reluctant to  upgrade.  

Dom

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #221 - 02/09/23 at 23:57:02

Dom,

My Bifrost is the original version. A friend who now has a Brooklyn gave it to me. He hated that I was using a cheapie DAC. To be honest, before the Bifrost I didn't "sit down" to listen to anything other than vinyl. Anyway, it had v2 USB and I went to the Unison USB, which is the last and only upgrade available. Figured since the DAC was free, $180 to upgrade wasn't too bad. To sum it up in one sentence the upgrade was like installing a 3d switch, the width didn't improve much, but the depth was night and day better. Before the upgrade, it sounded like a wide and tall flat surface. Now it's more upfront with good depth. If it gets me a year or so of use, I'll be happy and have time to look at better DACs.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #222 - 02/10/23 at 03:10:24

Sean,

Thanks for the info!  I thought you had the newer generation like mine.  Yes the Unison USB sounds fantastic.  When I run it while playing music through Roon, it has so much more dynamic range than going through the optical connection.  My Bifrost came stock with Unison USB.  My upgrade takes the XLR output board and upgrades it to be fully balanced….along with other  improvements.  So stupid that they didn’t do it that way from the start, but maybe that was their plan all along, knowing most guys would shell out the cash for the upgrade.

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #223 - 02/10/23 at 03:12:20

Sean,

Thanks for the info!  I thought you had the newer generation like mine.  Yes the Unison USB sounds fantastic.  When I run it while playing music through Roon, it has so much more dynamic range than going through the optical connection.  My Bifrost came stock with Unison USB.  My upgrade takes the XLR output board and upgrades it to be fully balanced….along with other  improvements.  So stupid that they didn’t do it that way from the start, but maybe that was their plan all along, knowing most guys would shell out the cash for the upgrade.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #224 - 02/10/23 at 16:27:43

I got in another order from Mad Scientist Audio of their Black Discus Nano "Cupcakes." I now have one on the power cords entereing all the components and on the XRL cables entering and exiting the ZTPRE preamp.

Another little shade of blackness the music comes out of, another bit of sweetening to the high frequencies, another bit of depth to the soundstage. Not a cheap experiment but I'm happy with the results.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 02/10/23 at 19:26:24

Lon, super interesting — would you mind sharing a picture of this setup?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #226 - 02/10/23 at 19:37:47

Sorry, I'm photographically challenged, I'm not a picture taker--have no digital camera, don't have a phone that connects to the internet. It's pretty easy to imagine--the discus come with a bit of blu-tac and I put them right on top of the cords where the casing actually enters the IEC connector, and where the wiring enters the XLR connector itself.

Here are a few photos from others:

0002.jpg

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #227 - 02/10/23 at 20:01:57

Thanks, that helps and also answers the question I had of how it actually sticks on.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #228 - 02/11/23 at 14:42:51

Lon,

I’m glad the Mad Scientist discs are working out for you and you are getting good results.  I saw positive results with the sample, so can only imagine what the full size ones are doing.  Definitely not cheap but worth it.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #229 - 02/11/23 at 16:45:13

As I think Will mentioned a month or so ago any changes to sound purity are important. I have a lot going on in that department, but still little incremental changes have cumulative impact.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #230 - 02/11/23 at 17:17:08

Powerful words from Will that are so true.  In my old house I was not running the PSAudio Soloist outlets, and my equipment was not on a home run circuit.  Now   with the Soloist in place on a home run line,  I have noticed a profound difference in purity of the sound with everything sounding cleaner and more open.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #231 - 02/16/23 at 21:17:55

The 25th Anniversary Experience seems to continue to be chameleon and shape shifter-like.

Today, after sorting through 12AU7 type tubes in the holdings this week (over 50 including all the compatible types!) I settled on an Amperex 6211 for the ZROCK2 and experimenting ended up with every tube in my system being an Amperex except the English 0C2 type voltage regulation tubes under the Monoblock chassises and the power tubes (although I do have a pair of Amperex EL84 I may try later). 7308s in the ZTPRE and the Monoblocks, 5R4WGA and 0A3 in the Monoblocks, that 6211 in the ZROCK2.

A very "classic" sounding presentation with warmth and yet punch. I'm really digging it!

I wonder if the SEWE300B will offer such a flexible and tunable nature. I bet it will.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #232 - 02/22/23 at 15:14:21

With the density that the 25th Anniversary mods brings to the table it's a fascinating journey that rolling NOS tubes from all around the world brings.

I really liked the romantic sound having a nearly all Amperex tube complement in all components brought, but in days I was longing for the specific openness to the sound that the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B bring to the presentation and put those back in. And that sealed the deal for the week for me--great sounds with a better soundstage and a bit more instrumental image detail. This also accomplished by removing the 0A3 and going back to my steadfast Arcturus 0B3.

Another 6211, s Sylvania with a D-getter, has been really working well in the ZROCK2 in my audio-visual system, giving a similar signature of openness and instrumental detail.

Change one tube and it's like going through a Stargate to another sonic world. It's amazing what these components can and will do.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #233 - 02/22/23 at 16:44:20

Lon….I know for a while you really liked the Amperex Holland Pinched Waist 7062 in your ZROCK2.  How would you compare that to the 6211 that you are using now.  What do you like more about one tube over the other?  

My ZROCK2 is still fairly new, but when I’m ready to roll tubes in the ZRock2, I have a number of the Amperex Holland Pinched Waist 7062’s that I bought ahead of time.  I do like it in my ZSTAGE in the relaxed position, so no complaints on the sound.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #234 - 02/22/23 at 17:36:25

Dominick wrote on 02/22/23 at 16:44:20:
Lon….I know for a while you really liked the Amperex Holland Pinched Waist 7062 in your ZROCK2.  How would you compare that to the 6211 that you are using now.  What do you like more about one tube over the other?  

My ZROCK2 is still fairly new, but when I’m ready to roll tubes in the ZRock2, I have a number of the Amperex Holland Pinched Waist 7062’s that I bought ahead of time.  I do like it in my ZSTAGE in the relaxed position, so no complaints on the sound.  

Dom

Hey Dom, I had the 7062 as the ZROCK2 tube for a long time. All that time I was running 6085 tubes with converter bases in the ZTPRE, and generally RCA gray glass 6NS7 in the Monoblocks. Altogether these complements present a big, vivid sound with clear textures and punchy dynamics. When I started re-inserting the 7308s I started to experience a bit more warmth and a slightly more laid-back presentation, which I liked a lot. With 7308 in all spots and the 7062 still in the ZROCK2 there was a great presentation that I enjoyed for some time. The 7062 gave a kick in the arse to the 7308 sound structure but in time I began to feel the whole was topped with a bit of an analytical, tight edge that began to be a bit fatiguing--which I never experienced with the 6085 in the ZTPRE. So. . . I went through all the 12AU7 types and compatible ZROCK2 tubes, and when I got to this Amperex 6211 I eased back in my listening and I've decided that I really like this complement.

I'm sure in a week or two things may be different! I love to experiment with differing tube complements.

One conclusion I could come from this is that I really like the big sized 12A type tubes such as the 6085, 7062, 6414 et al, they have a lot of dynamic gain and an open clarity. . . I tend to like them when used throughout the components. And the regular sized signal tubes in the 12A family I tend to like together throughout the system. And for some material and some volumes and moods blending them gives a "just right right now" sound to the system.

I hope that makes a little sense. The ZTPRE, ZROCK2, SE84UFO3s can take on so many different sonic characteristics with different tubes that there are so many enjoyable complements that can be put together with so many differing tubes. Personal preferences will be taken on trips and examined!

If you are enjoying the 7062 in the ZSTAGE you will likely enjoy it in the ZROCK2 as well, having the two 7062 tubes in series in the system may create a great presentation.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #235 - 02/22/23 at 21:26:51

Lon,

Like you indicated….the 7062 gave my ZSTAGE a kick in the arse for sure!  Great dynamics with big sound.  But I did notice that as I upped the ZSTAGE gain past 3/4 I noticed the air really blossomed.    So when I run the 7062 in the ZSTAGE….I tend like the sound with the front switch  in the relaxed position.  Right now I’m using a GE NOS 12AU7 from Upscale Audio in the ZSTAGE and it’s dead silent with nice air and it’s crystal clear when pushed.   I bought Kevin’s stash and it’s damn good.  I also have a NOS RCA 12AT7WA black plate military tube from 1965… I’ve been really itching to give that a try in the ZSTAGE.  

Since I’m now back in the new house…my system has dramatically changed with the addition of my ZBIT, ZROCK2, new Rega phono preamp, and now my new SE84C+ with full Anniversary mods.  Needless to say I’ve been doing a lot exploring lately.  I am waiting for a small stash of TFK PCC189’s to come in from Europe, so that will go in the Zen’s input stage, and then once that tube settles in, I’m going to pull the stock tube out of the ZROCK2 and put the 7062 in.   I’ll report back ounce that happens.

Thanks for your feedback on the 6211’s… I may have to give that a try.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #236 - 02/22/23 at 22:06:30

Yes, my Decware amps and preamps when they had them bias positions are always in the "relaxed" position, always have been for 25 years. Just suits my sources and rooms and I guess my tastes best. Keep me posted!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #237 - 02/24/23 at 16:08:04

Just days later. . . I pulled out the Amperex 0A3 and put in Amperex 0D3 which are a better fit.

There's something about 0A3 with the other tubes in the complement that I favor that initially are great to listen to and then begin to fatigue me. There is just a dab of thickness to the sound that I don't adjust to. These 0D3 are quite nicely balanced tonally and are also giving me a bit more of a laid back soundstage with more depth to the sides and center as well. Great tubes!

What I would really like to try are Amperex 0B3 tubes of any of the types (short straight, tall straight, bottle-shaped). I have never seen any for sale anywhere or evidence that Amperex Holland ever produced them. I have a feeling I would love them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #238 - 02/28/23 at 15:17:47

Last week looking at 12A_7 type info on the internet I realized I never have tried a 6829 tube type and so I ordered a pair--they are not expensive. Seems almost all for sale now are GE so I got a triple mica GE pair. They arrived yesterday and I stuck one in the ZROCK2 in my main system, and started listening this morning.

THESE ARE VERY GOOD TUBES. Warm, but not veiled or slow sounding. A bit of a laid back presentation. All the things I like. I'm also trying a pair of Tung-Sol 5R4WGB rectifiers this week and the 6829 fit right in and are a great complement to these rich sounding rectifiers.

Altogether this has elements of the classic tube sound I enjoyed for years with my 1959 EICO amplifier before I discovered Decware, with all the great attributes of speed and dynamics and detail that Decware amps bring. Wow, a great sound for the week, nearing what I expect to find with the SEWE300B later this year.

These 25th Anniversary equipped components are so open and "out of the way" that they continue to show the characteristics of every tube, wire, footer and electrical cleansing bit of the system you introduce or remove. A fascinating and involving and hobby that can be a great escape from this f'd up world.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #239 - 06/19/23 at 12:58:30

Things keep evolving in my systems. I have three great systems, the main audio being the very best BUT the other two having great qualities as well and fine tuning and tube-rolling really make things better. It's interesting how time and experience can lead one to tuning and experimenting which adds to an experience and knowledge bringing better sound.

In my main system right now I am using Amperex 6085 in my ZTPRE with converter bases and that brings the best sound that I have had from that component since I have had it. And a pair of made in Holland 7308 in the Monoblocks that seem like Goldilock's porridge, just right. That is with a recent change in voltage regulation: RCA 0D3 for the power tubes, a change from Arcturus 0B3--and still using 75C1 (0C2) for the input tubes. I can't keep Sophia Electric Aqua 274B out of the Monoblocks as rectifiers. A PS Audio P15 powers all.

With my new PS Audio DSD DAC Mk2 all seasoned and sounding fantastic I just have not had a better audio experience. There's a ZBIT and a ZROCK2 with the 25th Anniversary mods with Miflex caps and an Amperex Holland 12AU7 in the signal chain as well, both making a great influence. The HR-1s sing!

My headphone only bedroom system has been rejuvenated by newly installed Miflex caps in the 25th Anniversary configuration in my Taboo Mk IV, and by adding a Bottlehead Foreplay III preamp feeding that from my PS Audio DSD DAC Mk1 that is modded and a ZROCK with Jupiter II caps. The Foreplay III is a really interesting preamp with an RCA 0D3 and two Amperex 7062 as the tube complement. I have an early Amperex 6085 (pinched waist, D-Getter) in the ZROCK2 and a pair of Steve's output tubes, a Sophia Electric 274B and an Amperex 7308 in the Taboo. Killer headphone sound with either the ZMF Ori or Oppo PM-1 headphones. A Decware ZLC powers all.

And in the living room I am using an Oppo UDP-205 and DVR as a source (with a Wyred4Sound reclocker convering the DVR sound to 24/96) to a ZROCK2 with Anniversary mods with Jupiter II caps and a Sylvania 5963 from Steve, to a CSP3 with the Anniversary mods with Jupiter II caps and a glass resistor that is an amazing headphone amp with a pair of Sennheiser HD800S. The CSP3 has an RCA 5V4 rectifier and a US Amperex 7308 and two French 7308 as the driver tubes. It also feeds a DALAUDIO STUDIO 3886 R3 and the combo powers my first pair of HR-1 so well, a chip amp sounding like a big tube amp with all the CSP3 goodness. All powered by a PS Audio P10.

I'm so blessed to have these three great systems with 25th Anniversary features that just give me fantastic sound in three locations, a real boon as my wife is now retired and this gives me options to get more listening (and watching) time in. Decware is a key element in all this audio pleasure. I'm so grateful that I discovered Decware in '97.

Wow. . . in a few months or so there will be an SEWE300B to shake things up in the main system!

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #240 - 06/19/23 at 14:20:56

Lon, I don't know how you do it. Continuous tweaking of not one, not two, but three separate systems. You clearly deserve some kind of reward for your commitment to improving SQ and for sharing your insights.

As always, you're one of the amazing contributors of insight and knowledge to this forum. Cheers my friend and have a great day. Looking forward to your impressions of the Sarah 300B, you're ahead of me in the que😊.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #241 - 06/19/23 at 14:25:44

Thanks HK. Two factors I think shape my exploration into tuning and tailoring: I have time (though it just got less than before as my wife walked off her job and decided to retire) and music is perhaps my biggest interest in life and propels me and the equipment is a very important element to deepening my involvement.

This is an anchoring activity in my life and keeps out of trouble. . . for the most part. Wink

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #242 - 06/19/23 at 16:07:45

I have managed to whittle down to just one naysayer, Mrs DD.

A life worth living and living well.

I tend to agree that music is still an anchor in my life, even though I had abandoned the professional aspects many years ago..

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #243 - 06/19/23 at 22:56:46

Thanks to Lon I now have upgraded my preamp and jumped  back into the 25th Anniversay experience.

My ZSTAGE, which was my first ever piece of Decware gear, was recently sold.  I’m now waiting for Lon’s old CSP2+ with the 25th Anniversay mods to arrive this Wednesday.  This is a big upgrade and I’m really looking forward to hearing the changes.

The only thing left t I have to do is upgrade my second SE84C+ Amp.  I had to table this upgrade I order to free up funds for the addition of the CSP2+.  I’ll post my impressions in the upcoming weeks.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #244 - 06/20/23 at 00:35:25

I was glad I was able to help you and Joe to come to that deal and that it now is the third white chassis component to complete your set up! It's a fantastic preamp, and as fantastic a headphone amp. I know you will enjoy it.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #245 - 06/20/23 at 01:33:22

I second HK’s appreciation of your dedication Lon.  Even with time and opportunity, it’s a Herculean task! Hats off to ya!

Excited for your new acquisition Dom! Congrats!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #246 - 06/20/23 at 08:05:03

As always Lon your efforts are truly appreciated.  I know that the CSP2+ is going to be a great addition to my system, and the all white trio is going to look amazing.  

Thanks Kamran!  Like you and HK said….Lon’s dedication to his 3 independent systems are impressive.  

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #247 - 06/20/23 at 10:07:24

Dom,
Your matching white plates got me thinking...more like what was I thinking! Sould have, could have, did not build the clone with one!
Cheers on your rig!
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #248 - 06/20/23 at 15:43:22

Thanks John.  I have had love for the white SE84C+ Zen amps for a very long time. They were only made for a short amount of time and rarely come up for sale.  I had to actively seek them out by contacting members who had them listed in their tag line.  It’s been a two year endeavor and now it’s finally complete.  

Cheers to not having to search daily the Decware classifieds, EBay, USA Audiomart, Canuck Audiomart, and HIFi shark.  

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #249 - 06/23/23 at 07:01:45

Got a chance to fire up the new CSP2+ today for a brief listening session.  First off I went through all the steps listed in the manual, and it’s dead silent.  After I matched my mono’s with the preamp, I sat and started to listen.  

First off…there is a big difference between the ZSTAGE and the CSP2+.  The  ZSTAGE does as advertised…. It adds gain.  The CSP2+ adds a lot more gain…. But it added another the textured layer to the sound. Even applying the same voltage output as I did with my ZSTAGE, the CSP2+  added warmth to the midrange making it more seductive,  made the highs a bit more crisp, and the bass is more pronounced.  I actually found myself backing off my ZROCK2 a bit.  

In Steve's description…he says the Anniversary mods for this  preamp made everything more juicy with blacker backgrounds.  Well… he was spot on.   By comparison my ZSTAGE felt more sterile and softer.

Right now I’m running the stock Decware 5U4G rectifier, a matched pair of the Wathen Cryotone 6N1P’s in the rear, and a single 6N1P in the front [forgot which one I installed…the brand is slipping me right now].  

So far I’ve only streamed some music through Roon, and played some CD’s through my Oppo.  I’m eager to hear how vinyl will sound, but I wanted to wait until I have some quiet time with no distractions.  

It goes without saying that the CSP2+ was a great addition, and has elevated my listening experience.  I’ll post sore more impressions next week.  

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print