Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/05/20 at 08:17:23 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Try a type 80 globe rectifier in your super zen (Read 50132 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Try a type 80 globe rectifier in your super zen
Reply #100 - 06/04/19 at 20:33:23

Cool. I'm glad you've found alternatives and sorry your Sophias crapped out on you.

My four Sophias are going strong and I have actually over the past week rotated a lot of Type 80s, a pair of 5AR4, a pair of GZ32, a pair of the Valve Art 274V, a pair of 5U4G and 5V4G and a number of 5Y3 and I keep coming back to the Sophias that just seem to do what this tube you've fallen for does: tie all the complement together and elevate them. I hope my Sophias keep going . . . and I'm probably going to pick up another for the one component I'm using that doesn't have one in place, my CSP2+ with the Anniversary mods.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w/25th mods PS Audio: DMP+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Statement spkr cbls; Mapleshade:Samson V3; Oppo UDP-205; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 06/05/19 at 10:38:08

I still have not been able to hear the Type 80’s on my UFO25...  After reading the Forum’s re: Type 80 rectifiers, I ordered a few from eBay (Cunningham RCAs).  Jim (rivieraranch) was kind enough to send me an adaptor; yet USPS messed it up and sent it to the wrong address first, and I only received it after I left the country for summer.  So still wondering how it will sound on my system...

Apart from this, I keep on coming back to Sophia Aqua 274B even though NOS Mullard GZ32’s are still serious contenders.  I had high expectations for Sophia’s 5U4G and it is good tube, yet not close to the 274B.  If the Type 80s sound better, the rectifier problem would have been solved forever!  For cheap, at least!

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini with Roon, Rega RP6, Rotel RCD-1070 & Marantz CD6005; Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215; Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405; ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1; Stein and BlackNoise filters; DH Labs power, interconnect and speaker cables
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 06/05/19 at 16:07:07

Hey Alper,
Hang on to that GZ32 even if it doesn’t become the go to rectifier as it does certain things that are unique to it and once in a while you may want to enjoy those attributes.  I almost sold off the remaining ones I have and that would have been a mistake.

After reading your post I popped the GZ32 into my UFO25 and as a result it is now a permanent fixture in my tube inventory for the UFO25.  My system is different from yours in that I have the CSP3 and this has become a critical component that influences the choice of the tube complement in my UFO25 especially since I tried the AWV 5AS4G.

To decide between a Type 80 and another type of rectifier is not that easy as each make of 80 is a little different from another make.  I ended up with AWV Type 80 (ST Shape) in my UFO25.  This morning I tried the GZ32, my curiosity was peaked after your post.

As a result I will have to spend a lot more time with both before coming to a conclusion as to which will be preferred.  In comparison the GZ32 is a little ‘darker’ with the best extended bass of all the ones I have tried.  The top end is on par with the Type 80.  The type 80 decay is better.  The GZ32 has a little more over all density to it top to bottom.  This makes percussive instruments have more impact.  Both are as fast but the decay of the Type 80 makes it seem ‘lighter on it’s feet’, a little more ‘air’.

Soundstage depth, width and layering are on par and the best so far in my system and room, huge and immersive.  The better decay of the Type 80 makes the venue more apparent in live recordings.  Voices have a little more emotion with the Type 80 and a little more density with the GZ32.

In both cases I’m listening at the same volume setting which I would say is at the high end of the lower level.  I have yet to be able to hear all that at that volume level which speaks volumes about the UFO25.

I think you’re in for a treat...

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 06/06/19 at 13:36:43

Hey John,

GZ32’s are definitely there to stay!  Back in the day, I used to use them with my TORII mkII which I sold to a friend later on.  I remember buying a pair from Upscale Audio who was reluctant to sell them to me, as the owner was not familiar with Decware at the time and he thought I would just use them on a guitar amp or so.  As one of them blew, I had to switch to another set though before selling the amp.  After I got the ones from you, I am holding on to them for sure.  

There is always this ‘grace’ to those tubes, if it ever means anything.  Depending on my taste and hearing at the time, they are always a safe bet for me with overall balance and articulation.  

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini with Roon, Rega RP6, Rotel RCD-1070 & Marantz CD6005; Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215; Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405; ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1; Stein and BlackNoise filters; DH Labs power, interconnect and speaker cables
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 06/07/19 at 13:25:54

Alper,
Yesterday I had the GZ32/CV593 in for the day.  Currently I’m recovering from my 2nd knee replacement so I’ve got time to do some extensive listening.

One aspect of the GZ32 surprised me as I haven’t listened to it for some time.  The separation of voices, superb! Not that I don’t get separation of voices with other rectifiers but not to the degree that happens with the GZ32/CV593.

The type 80 is back in and I was able to improve the results in that aspect by changing the input tube in CSP-3, but not to the equivalent degree of the GZ32, very good and acceptable, but not the same.

It seems that the Mullard is becoming a benchmark for certain attributes against which I can roll to wring out the best from a combination of other tubes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #105 - 06/07/19 at 17:25:37

Interesting how our systems are all different and with different rooms and tastes we have differing results. I just don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from my pair of Mullard GZ32s and I actually enjoy the similar RCA 5V4Gs that I have a bit more.

I am rolling rectifiers in my CSP2+ that I had upgraded with the Anniversary mods right now, and have an RCA Type 80 in there now that I like a bit more than a Cunningham I had in earlier this week. I'm considering selling some tubes to get one more Sophia Electric Aqua 274B for that preamp, so far nothing has beat it in any of my components, though the Type 80 does have an appeal.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w/25th mods PS Audio: DMP+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Statement spkr cbls; Mapleshade:Samson V3; Oppo UDP-205; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 06/08/19 at 01:39:58

Actually Lon I don’t think that we are not that far apart with respect to the GZ32.  There are different variations of the Mullard GZ32 but that aside despite the strengths of the M-GZ32 it doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that you mention and that is why it’s not in my UFO25 now.

Since the unfortunate ‘events’ with the Sophia 274B I’ve been retracing some of my previous listening experiences in order to once again arrive at that ‘warm and fuzzy’ state.  The Sophia did do that job very well first in my SE84UFO2 and then in my UFO25.  Now that job is being done very well with the Type 80 but with a change of input tube in my CSP-3.  In fact in some aspects a tad better.

As I was retracing my steps I put the GZ32 in so as to refresh my memory and I was very impressed.  So as part of this re-direction I will spend some more time with it because if I can get it to go from impressed to warm and fuzzy it will accomplish one other objective that I have set.

I’m putting together two options that will get me into that ‘warm and fuzzy’ place.  A plan B if you will, just in case. Obviously the two options will not be identical in all aspects and they don’t have to be.

For now new production tubes will not be part of this re-direction, whether they be Sophia, EML, Psvane, TJ Full Music etc.  Strictly NOS and not necessarily big dollar stuff either, with the exception of a possible U52  ;).

‘Warm and Fuzzy’ struck a chord.  It has to be a big part of where I end up and I’ve got a ways to go for Plan B.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #107 - 06/08/19 at 02:35:24

I'm sorry your Aquas went south so fast. It's not been my experience and I haven't read of any other early failures like that. To be honest I think if one were to go south on me. . . I'd buy a new one.

This is the only rectifier that really gives me whatever I need for a complement of tubes. I can change a voltage regulation tube, or an input tube, or even power tubes (though I haven't explored this as thoroughly as the red-tipped power tubes from Steve seem the very best option clearly) and get great, if different sound, in a all-encompassing way that none of the other rectifiers does give me. It and the power tubes from Steve are the anchor tubes for me now and in effect they are my plan A and plan B. I have tried so many different rectifiers, and there is not another one that does what the Aqua does.

I'm hoping mine continue to give me great service but the sound is so "right" with them for me that even if I didn't get much more than a year out of them I'd probably just buy a replacement. A remarkable design and a pudding full of proof for me.

I like the Type 80 but it's very much of a "type" for me and takes a lot of work to choose tubes around them and still doesn't give me what the Aqua does. The Aqua is almost "not there" in the way that my ZTPRE (which does NOT have a tube rectifier) is almost "not there." That feeling I get from these is so satisfying. Man these preamps and amps can really deliver.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 03/13/20 at 09:08:33

It seems like I will try out this 80 tube everyone is talking about. Does anyone know of a reputable source I can buy an 80 tube from?

Thanks audiophiles.

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #109 - 03/13/20 at 10:56:42

Hello Alex,
Any of the usual vendors should have some. In addition, there's Ebay          ( which is where I bought mine ).
FWIW, I'm building a new all DHT amp that uses a different rectifier and won't need the stash of type 80 tubes that I have here ( 10 + or so ). I was going to start posting them on Ebay and Audiogon. Let me now if you might be interested.
I've got both straight glass and globes.

Cheers,           Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 03/13/20 at 14:03:38

Thanks for the response crazy Bill. Yes, I’ll be interested. Is there a difference in sound with the straight tube vs the globe?

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 03/13/20 at 14:45:43

Hey Bill
Count me in as interested in a 80 globe.
Dana

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #112 - 03/13/20 at 14:47:06

Haven't got a clue Alex, as I never put either a globe or ST shape in my SE84B or ZP3. They are the older varieties and I didn't want to chance blowing them up, as both amps hit them harder than what they should be. The first cap in the PS is higher in value than recommended. But many users have had no problem. Just haven't made the time to modify the PS to make them safe for the globes. Soon.
I actually have all three versions.  Globe, ST, and straight. I took photos but can't figure out how to post them here

Bill

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #113 - 03/13/20 at 14:49:27

So noted Dana. I'll get back

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 03/13/20 at 14:57:44

Sent you a pm Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 03/13/20 at 15:09:55

Thanks Crazy Bill. How much will you be selling them?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #116 - 03/13/20 at 16:31:15

There is a difference between the three different types. . . . Can depend on make and which component they are in but. . . the globe is generally a "bolder" more spacious sound, the straight shouldered a tighter, more focused, often warmer sound, and the ST is somewhere in between. That's been my general experience with Type 80s from RCA, Cunningham, Arcturus and one Philco.

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #117 - 03/13/20 at 17:01:53

Hello Alex,
That depends what I paid for them. The only ones I remember off the top of my head are the globes @ $ 75.00/ea. The rest were less. The older the tube the more expensive it was. I will sell them for what I paid for them plus shipping to your location. The two Sylvanias were used less than $ 50 hours so I'll take some bucks off. I'll try to put a list together.

All are NOS or test as NOS
Bill

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 03/14/20 at 00:14:37

Cool. I’d like to buy one of the globe 80”s from you. Can anyone please tell me what the other two front bulbs of the SE84UFO2 controls? I wouldn’t mind upgrading those bulbs as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print