Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:32:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Analog Tape Tour!!!  Come one, come all. (Read 20355 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Decware Analog Tape Tour!!!  Come one, come all.
07/19/17 at 01:43:46

The Tour has officially begun.  If you haven't already read, Steve has come up with a very ingenious way to bring tape into each of your homes for a listen.  Analog tape is considered by many to be the "holy grail" of analog audio, bringing the listener closer to the real deal than any other format.  I wholeheartedly agree.  Please read Steve's original thread here for more details on what he has created and is graciously allowing all of us to use before passing on to the next one in line.  The only cost is shipping!  

Steve's Post: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1496287113/0

While this cannot compete with a $5000 to $20,000 studio grade tape rig, it shouldn't. The purpose of the SVHS tape machine and passing it along is to give you all an experience without an investment.  Even if you aren't interested in tape (or don't think you are), I would suggest jumping on.  If you haven't heard analog tape, you may not have a better opportunity to do so - at least without shelling out a chunk of cash.  Even if you have a R2R machine or have had one in the past, this is a very cool experiment that Steve has created and one that will be purely entertaining for you as well, if nothing else.  I mean, who ever imagined in 2017 they would be connecting a SVHS tape machine to their precious Decware system for critical listening?   This is for all who are interested in or at least curious about analog tape sound.  

You don't know what you are missing until you don't know what you are missing.  And at the end of the day, investing in a tape rig is not for everyone, but who wouldn't want to at least take an opportunity to hear analog tape?  

This was a quick intro post about the Tape Tour.  I will create the official thread in the Analog Tape room for all of our comments throughout this journey.  I will also put some basic guidelines to the tour there as well.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Decware Analog Tape Tour!!!  Come one, come all.
Reply #1 - 07/19/17 at 12:49:20

Cool Jeff, I look forward to the comments in the Analog Thread you will create and my turn in the pecking order down the road with the Unit and Tape. I think up to 2 weeks is reasonable for each person to have it.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #2 - 07/19/17 at 16:27:17

Jeff,
Very Cool,  Look forward to hearing it at your place soon.
Ace

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 07/19/17 at 21:26:18

Thanks for the input Stone.  2 weeks seems to be the consensus.  

And yes Ace, I am looking forward.  Unfortunately, I am out of town for a week starting Sunday, return the following Saturday, so I will hit it once I get back.  I hate to be the first source of delay in the chain, but can't deny the family their vacation for my audio pleasures Smiley  

Keep watch on the Tape forum and I will get more detail posted as they come.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #4 - 07/20/17 at 14:33:25

Where do I sign up?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 07/20/17 at 14:55:53

Ill add you to our running list here (https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1496287113/50) for now until I get the live Google Sheet drafted and uploaded. Currently, you are #6 in line Smiley

IP Logged
DB2

Reply #6 - 07/20/17 at 15:12:28

Excellent!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 08/03/17 at 16:12:35

Temperature check?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 08/03/17 at 16:19:45

Realizing, you were out of town till the 31st, Jeff. I asked here...to see if any others want to get on the List....will discuss in the Analog Thread.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 08/03/17 at 16:36:20

Hey Stone, having a bit of a tube issue on my ZMA.  Last night, posted this:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1501741406

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 08/03/17 at 16:45:10

See your ZMA post.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 08/05/17 at 17:22:48

After a little more troubleshooting, it looks like one of the gauges is in fact acting up.  So for now, my ZMA is out of commish.  Sorry folks.  Bad timing.  

Anyway, I am going to go ahead and replace all four gauges with the new, more robust/better sounding gauges Steve is now using in all amps.  Question is, can I DIY this gauge replacement (I hope) or will I have to send her back?  Ill let you know once I hear back from Steve.

If this looks like it is going to take more than a week to resolve, I will send the tape rig to the 2nd in line, Linton.  It will then come back to me so Acetone and I can partake before sending it off to 3rd in line, Bottlehead.  

Ill keep y'all posted.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 08/05/17 at 22:03:20

Cool Jeff, keep us posted.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #13 - 09/02/17 at 22:28:54

The official Decware Tape Tour Schedule is posted here:
https://tinyurl.com/y87fmkv8

For those already on the list, take a look at the schedule.  I broke it down by month. The tabs to switch months is located at the bottom of the sheet.  If there are any conflicts with your schedule based on the two weeks I selected for each of you, let me know and I will switch it up.

As far as sending the tape rig on to the next one in line, I will reach out to you toward the end of your reserved time slot to remind you to prepare to pass it along to the next person on the sheet.  Please send a PM to that person to obtain shipping address information.  I would prefer not to be the middleman in that step.  The cheapest (but slowest) method is Media Mail through the USPS.  If due to shipping delay to and from, you need more time, or you finish with the equipment sooner than your two week slot, let me know and I will modify the schedule as needed.  It is a starting point but inevitably it will change along the way.  All I ask is you stay flexible and I will work through any issues as they arise.  

I started listening today and my oh my!  This has been a really fun day so far.  It is incredibly easy to hook up and operate so please, anyone with a sliver of interest, jump on board.  I promise you that you will not regret it!  Pretty incredible.  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/02/17 at 23:58:47

Very nice Jeff.  Thanks for putting it together.  I see it is headed to Decfest.  If I hear it there I may drop from the schedule.  Then again, maybe I will still want to hear it in my own home.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/03/17 at 05:25:44

Hey Jeff,

I appreciate all the work that you are doing to coordinate the tape tour. Thank you!

I am confused about the timing. The schedule shows the unit getting to me sometime during the week of the 30th of September. I see that Decfest is scheduled for the 6th, 7th, and 8th of October. In order to have the unit there in time, I would have to send it off just a few days after I get it. I would suggest that the person before me send it to Decfest, so that we know that it will get there in time. I would prefer to do my evaluation after the fest, so that I'm not under the gun. You can move me farther down the list if necessary to make it work. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 09/03/17 at 06:12:54

For what it's worth, There is a SVHS on site (the unit that made the recording) and of course the reel to reel machines.  I already planned on demoing the reels for anyone wanting to hear them this year and it wouldn't be difficult to make more SVHS tapes if people are interesting in hearing how close the SVHS format comes to reels.

Bob and I could easily make more tapes the week before if needed.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #17 - 09/03/17 at 07:50:10

Bottlehead, you are right.  I input the Decfest dates wrong.  I amended the schedule, correcting that mistake.  So, you have the unit for the full two weeks starting on 9/30.  Take your time with the playe - no rush.

Steve, that is good to know.  I went ahead and deleted the Decfest detour and will have the SVHS unit continue on as scheduled.  As long as you have the player and can dupe the tapes, no sense in taking it out of rotation for the Fest.  

All on the list, take a quick peak at the schedule to see your new slotted blocks of time for the Tour.  As stated prior, let me know if there are any conflicts.  

I will be spending several hours with the machine tomorrow (Sunday) morning.  First and foremost, I want to get comfortable with the sound straight into my Torii.  I then want to add in more "tube love" with my Ultra pre-amp, with Reflektor '75 input tubes.  Then on to A/B/C comparisons.  After that, I will do it all over again with the ZMA, accompanied by fellow Decwarian and SoCal native, Acetone.  

Today was all about wetting the whistle.  I will start critically listening tomorrow while taking notes.  So much damn fun.  Thank you for this Steve.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #18 - 09/03/17 at 17:27:35

The next available slot for those who are not already on the Tape Tour list is Dec. 16.  Let me know if you want to be added to the list on this date, or any other date thereafter.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 09/03/17 at 19:27:08

Cool update guys and makes sense with Steve being able to run from there if attendees want to hear from SVHS.

I look forward to getting it mid to late October. Run into my ARC Line Stage and of course, direct to ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 09/04/17 at 04:09:22

Please add me to the list for the next available time.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #21 - 09/04/17 at 05:00:03

Done!  You won't regret it Boxertwin.  You've got the weeks of 12/16 and 12/23.

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 09/04/17 at 17:40:20

I'm looking forward. I used to record music on my old VHS machine about 32 years ago but didn't realize what I was doing.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
linton
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 09/06/17 at 17:50:57

The schedule works for me. Thanks Jeff.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #24 - 09/18/17 at 22:11:24

My first post, in a series of reviews for the Decware Analog Tape Tour, can be found here:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1505768988/0

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #25 - 09/24/17 at 19:52:29

I just posted the final review, The Palomino Mix tape, over in the Analog Tape forum here:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1505768988/0

This is a comparison of the tracks on SVHS tape to the same songs streamed via Tidal Hi-Fi (not MQA).  What a blast that was!!

The Tape Tour rig is off to the next recipient, Linton!  

Let me know if you want to be added to the Tour list.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #26 - 09/25/17 at 20:20:39

Did not want to do this but my curiosity has got the best of me again.
Sign me up for the tour please.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #27 - 09/26/17 at 04:29:18

You made the right decision.  There is almost no reason not to.  At the very least it is incredibly entertaining.  

Ive got you down on the official schedule starting 1/27/18.  Of course, if people send along the equipment before or after their two weeks are up, this could change a bit.
https://tinyurl.com/y87fmkv8 (Month tabs are at bottom of spreadsheet)

Next available slot after Sonic is February 10th.  Any takers?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print