Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:33:50 

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like? (Read 16304 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like?
06/01/17 at 04:18:33

I am currently working on a couple reel to reel sampler tapes that I will transfer direct to SVHS video tape... hopefully everyone still remembers good old post DVD days where you had to watch movies on tape.  

This might sound odd to some of you, but recording hi-res audio onto a SVHS tape usually gives superior results to cassette, and even slow speed reel to reel machines.

So I though it would be entertaining to see if I can make a $75.00 SVHS machine sound better than most of the DAC's and even some vinyl rigs despite the SEVERE handicap of a $12 solid state output stage in the player itself.  Yes, this is how I amuse myself and thought it would be fun to include some of you...

Even with the handicap, this SVHS tape and player that I will be sending around will be a more than powerful demonstration of what good analog tape sounds like compared to the average DAC.

Just to make it interesting I am remastering some digital recordings with no computer or EQ's onto tape so that people can compare side by side known digital 16/44 CD recordings and hopefully find themselves wondering how I made a bone stock 75.00 SVHS machine sound better than their DAC which cost ten to fifty times more using the same recording.  And the answer is the tape process itself which includes the tape formula, speed, size, tape bias and CCIR or NAB equalization.  This particular tape will let you hear what is possible by combining these variables correctly to express the music being recorded.

Then I plan to take some samples directly from master tapes that I have so people can experience a real copy of a master tape via this inexpensive format.

This is just a heads up so you have time to think about if you have any interest in hearing it.  I'll need a volunteer to be in charge of making a list and overseeing that each person on the list ship it to the next in a timely manner and then report the results.  Of course he or she will be the first one to hear to tape.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like?
Reply #1 - 06/01/17 at 14:35:12

I had an audiophile friend who moved to Elcaset when it was introduced back in the mid 70's.
It was an interesting concept but died quickly due to cost I think.
Did you ever have the chance to experiment with that format?
I was quite taken with the sound quality vs. cassette and even some vinyl at the time.
But it could have just been the "newness" effect on me being a young EE at the time.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 06/01/17 at 17:39:44

I bet someone out there has a museum of audio products that never made the big time. The El Cassette was one of my favorites for this venue. It all made sense to me. The wider tape, and I don't know if the speed was different or not, but could have been a factor too. I also liked the idea of 4 track cassette decks that ran in one direction only for the same reason.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/17 at 19:20:22

I remember the Amazing audio quality jump from vhs to svhs.  vhs audio just reads audio as linear track, going the speed of the tape.  But The video signal is read by that diagonal spinning head. It is tracing tons of diagonal tracks across the width of the tape. This makes the head to tape speed huge, for video.  The quality jump in svhs happened because the put the audio head on the spinning drum as well. They got video bandwidth tape speeds to record audio. Think about that....like using bluray bandwidth to record a cd.  
From the helical scan page. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helical_scan.

"The difference between the head writing speed and linear tape speed is vast: for example, 13 mph (5,800 mm/s) versus 35 mm/s."

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #4 - 06/01/17 at 21:05:44

Being one of the few tape heads on this forum, I will volunteer.  It is a fascinating experiment and I would love to hear what you put together, first, before passing on to the others.  :)

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 06/05/17 at 03:53:30

Jeff, that sounds great.  I found out with the PILL tour that I didn't have enough time to stay on top of it.

I will post here as soon as I have things ready to send!

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 06/06/17 at 06:44:58

Wonderful!  I know how it is and you certainly have more than enough on your plate.  Between your commitment to continual improvement, along with your willingness to connect with your customers, I am sure there is no "free" time to take on stuff like this. I am happy to help.  

Selfishly, I want more people to get excited about analog tape.  It is a nano community at best and until it grows enough to motivate manufacturers, the hardware and software options will be scarce.  I would love to see more people interested and excited about tape.  Every time I spin one up,  it is a stark reminder why I subject myself to the effort and cost of acquiring and maintaining a tape rig and library of tapes.  Because I have not heard anything better when the source-to-speaker chain is well tended to.  It is the gold standard when it comes to achieving a live performance in our listening room.  You introduced me to this idea over a year ago and I have taken it to heart, and can honestly substantiate everything you have stated with regards to its "holy grail-ness."  

My ears thank you, but my wallet curses you.  It's ok, because I just keep telling my wallet to shut the **ck up!  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 06/07/17 at 14:50:36

Very interested and interesting. I made a few SVHS on this exact Player (back in the day):
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=stereophile+music+recorded+to+svhs&qpvt=ste...

Of course, I had a Mitsubishi! Plus, I considered getting a Reel to Reel a couple years back....their is a thread back there on it..... .

Anyway, I will shut up and read Steve's discoveries as they unfold  (SVHS) and J of A's knowledge .....he lives it too (Reel to Reel) like Steve.

I believe my Ex still has my Mitsubishi (sitting prestine)!  I want in on the tour...J of A to me/2nd dibs sent from J of A to me. Steve will be sending tape and player....perfect.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 06/08/17 at 17:36:50

You got it Stone!  You are next inline to receive Steve's SVHS system.  I will work on designing a Tour Schedule soon and once I do, I will publish the process for those interested to get on the list.  I will also post in the General thread in hopes of attracting the most people possible.  

It will be an interesting compare as I recently obtained a Sonorus custom Revox C270 reel-to-reel deck with a matched Sonorus external tube playback amplifier from the personal inventory ofSonorus creator himself, Arian Jansen.  For those of you unfamiliar with Mr. Jansen, he is a tape machine icon and well-respected recording engineer.  If you are familiar with Yarlung Records, he is their tape recording engineer and creator of the Sonorus Holographic Imaging process. Anyway, super smart guy (and so nice).  I had the pleasure of driving to his house in Paso Robles to pick up the rig at which point he treated me to his listening room for a few hours.  I was able to hear his Sonorus ATR-10, $18,000 tape machine with some of his holographic imaging reels on his electrostats.  It works!  Amazing stuff.  

The tube playback electronics on my new Sonorus consist of a nuvistor tube head preamp stage, which is built into the C270, plus an external playback amp with the EQ settings (IEC & NAB). The head preamp nuvistors are 7586 triodes and the external playback amp is using ECC83/12AX7 triodes, allowing for some tube rolling.  How sweet it is!  Live concert in my listening room Smiley   I was also able to pick up some master dupes from the LA Audio Show last week, which was a nice treat to myself.  

Here is a pic...  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/08/17 at 17:42:08

Awesome! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 06/09/17 at 15:50:55

WOW J of A! I'm at a loss for words from what you have obtained and have going on here.

I so look forward to your impressions of Steve's SVHS and then I appreciate being next on the list and will do it justice and report.

......look forward to when you post in the general forum and attract more for the list.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 06/12/17 at 05:26:37

Spending the evening working on the tapes and evaluating the results.  Purchased another SVHS player tonight so that I can compare with the one I had planned to ship.  Will ship the better sounding of the two.  Should be here in a week.  It's a fascinating challenge I've gotten myself into ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 06/12/17 at 05:46:16

Jeff,

Congrats on the new tape rig!  I'd sure like to hear that.  

I'm finding it tricky to get the levels perfect when I make the recordings because the VHS recorders, even my industrial one, are not expecting this much dynamic range so to get it just right so as not to wake up the limiter, or saturate the tape.  So far every tape I've made is perfect except for one or two notes on one or two songs...  naturally it's going to take a few tries.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #13 - 06/12/17 at 07:40:12

Thanks for the update Steve.  This is going to be a real hoot!  I cannot wait for its eventual arrival.  

This is definitely a fascinating venture and your nature to always "tweak" is much appreciated.  We all love and appreciate traditional but it sure is nice to interject some unconventional from time to time - even if for no other reason than pure fun.  

I would love to purchase a copy of the master tape sampler you are putting together to produce this SVHS.  It would be a neat comparison to hear the master (used to make the SVHS tape), the SVHS tape, and the digital version of the tracks.  

The Sonorus has been a real blast to listen to - truly special.  Ive got it feeding directly into my ZMA.  Stunning! If these damn tape machines weren't so fricken heavy and bulky, I would toss this thing in my luggage and bust it out at Decfest 2017.    

-Jeff

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 06/13/17 at 13:56:24

Splendid gentlemen. Splendid indeed. Exactly J of A.....for the fun of it and understanding of how good this will/could sound.

Your encounter with Mr. Jansen, albeit more involved..... . This reminds me of meeting Prof Johnson of Reference Recordings and his time with the Minnesota Orchestra and other recordings as well. I met him when I was part of the MN Audio Society. I use his recordings for pleasure and to remind myself how all recordings should sound with DYNAMIC RANGE!  
https://referencerecordings.com/people/prof-keith-o-johnson/

Anyway, back to the real world and compression.....and a never established volume/recording level(s).....and so on and so on.

I look forward to this!  Keep the info coming gentlemen.

Steve, how about some direct to two track single mike stuff you did to your recording console, from the first house....your garage band and you on Drums man?!  This would be cool too!

Yes, I too, would like to purchase a copy of the master SVHS to compare to the digital.......... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #15 - 06/20/17 at 04:37:43

UPDATE:

The Panasonic OmniVision SVHS arrived today completely smashed because the individual who sold it thought it would be a good idea to put it inside a box with less than 1/4 inch clearance around the entire unit.  This was a 20 lbs. unit.   Very disappointing.

Solution, I ordered a far worse sounding Sony player that will be here next week.  I can live with the the worse case scenario which is what I'm starting with because the tape is so good it over powers it.  In any case, when the new player gets here next week I at least have two units to choose between so I can figure out what I'm going to send around.

I have ordered a custom Pelican case for it to make shipping super easy and safe.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 06/20/17 at 05:01:36

TAPE ONE is now completed.  

This tape is a never been heard before demonstration of a re-mastering process I have been developing over the years that has the ability to transmute digital back to analog and does so without a computer, solid state parts, nor even a circuit board.  It's a 100% analogue process... organic, non GMO if you will.

Since the only way to hear this process is to have an analog playback system and since I can't press records here at Decware, I am taking this opportunity to let all of you hear it by making the entire first tape using it.  

It's important to understand that the source for this tape was not high resolution digital files, nor even rebook CD, but rather a stream from the internet at 320 kbps, which is how so many of us are now listening to digital with our computers.  I figure if the process actually works, it will work on that.

This gives those of you who get on the list to hear the tapes, an opportunity to do direct side by side comparisons of the tracks on the tape with the original source tracks from the internet.

Some of the tracks on Palomino's original track list were omitted because the process highlights errors in the recording, such as tiny sibilances, and peak distortions that were previously masked just enough to sound OK.  Even many of the tracks on this tape have minor distortions that are notated on the tape as part of the process.  Remember this is a work in process.  Also, the presence that results from this process which is in part the 632 tape I use for digital sources, includes some tape hiss in this demo because I personally prefer it.  It let's me know I'm hearing everything.  Sometimes it's not even tape hiss but just the self noise of the microphones used in the recording.  Nevertheless, when you hear the tape hiss I want you to imagine what it would sound like filtered out so you couldn't hear it... and try to listen to the low level detail that is inside that tape hiss as if it were deleted.   That said, tape hiss is not a byproduct of the process, and can easily be avoided at will.

So here is the Tape One

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 06/20/17 at 05:01:46

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #18 - 06/20/17 at 05:34:02

Steve,
I am sorry to hear about the casualty - a true bummer.  Some people just don't understand that delivery services, all of them, will wreck your stuff if you give them the chance.  Crappy packaging is that chance once given, will lead to a box full of destruction.  Well, that is why Plan B's exist.  Great call on the Pelican, especially considering this national journey it will embark on.

Exciting news about the tape!  Looking over the tracks, it will be a treat to listen to.  I am very intrigued by your remastering process which is what makes this tour such an great opportunity - being able to actually listen to the difference in the digital steam vs. the SVHS.   And, as I mentioned prior, I would love the chance to borrow (on my dime of course) the 10.5" reel to compare against the SVHS if possible.   I would also be willing to foot the bill for a new blank tape and your time to dub another copy.  

Thanks for the update Steve.  Ive got my list ready.  Let me know how you want to proceed with the post to solicit those interested in hearing it and the "rules" of the tour whenever you are ready.  I will be the tour manager - keeping this baby moving along safely and efficiently.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 06/20/17 at 15:23:12

Yes, unbelievable how some will pack/ship. I shipped/sold numerous audio items in 2015 and packed them...damn near bullet proof...no incidences (and have a 100% rating for my AudiogoN account).

I am excited to hear this.....can't wait.  Shipped in a Pelican case ~ perfect.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 06/20/17 at 18:46:46

Jeff,

I will make you a copy of the Palomino reel as compensation for managing this tour.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #21 - 06/21/17 at 00:14:38

Well thank you Steve.  That is fine compensation I'd say  :)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 06/21/17 at 23:05:19

Jeff, put me at the bottom of the List. I realize I won't get the tape and SVHS unit for 2, 3 or 4 months. I want to read others comments first.

This is going to be cool. Maybe the end game could be Steve remastering with his process our music collections for our own private use..... . I have dibs on a SVHS unit.....if needed in the future.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #23 - 06/22/17 at 05:25:57

You got it brotha.  Whatever works for you.  I think once we get the list together, you let me know when you are ready to receive the goods.  Since you were technically first in line, I will defer your spot until ready.  Once ready, I will slip you in and ship at that point.  I will keep you at the #1 slot with a "Deferred" notation.  Once ready, I will send it to you next.  

I think this will be best since the list will be active and hopefully will not have a true "end" - at least for a long while.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 06/23/17 at 05:13:00

This weekend I plan to make some additional tapes.  I've been pondering what to make and have decided that probably the best thing is going to be more samplers.  Since these SVHS tapes are my personal backups of my personal reel to reel tapes, I don't see any legality issues since they remain my property and I've only invited each of you to listen to them.  That said, Jeff will have a copy of the reel to reel master tape of tape one.  He can compare the difference in sound quality using his world class tube reel to reel machine to the supplied $100.00 VHS player and accurately assume the large gap in sound quality is the same across the board with all the additional tapes.

So I'll chime in this weekend with the next track list that is to make up Tape Two.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #25 - 06/25/17 at 03:25:17

Second player has arrived and appears undamaged.  Will listen to it tonight.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 06/25/17 at 03:42:10

Second player is indeed functioning... a nice commercial Sony unit.  

Probably would have been just perfect if it had more than just a single mono output jack for audio...  [smiley=ahhhhhhh.GIF]

EDIT:  This is how the audio gods that watch over me operate.  See what happens next.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #27 - 06/25/17 at 04:40:22

OK, I took apart the damaged Panasonic OmniVision and fixed it.  I am listening to it now. It was worth the effort... sounds wonderful.

I'll be shipping this unit with the tapes. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #28 - 06/25/17 at 06:09:02

Tape 2 is done.

It came out really great!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #29 - 06/25/17 at 06:21:29

So the first two tapes were 7.5 IPS reels which means around 40 to 60 minutes of music on each reel.

The next tape (Reel 3) is at 15 IPS and was a full 8 inch reel from Ed Pong that I cherish.  This tape is about 11 minutes long.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #30 - 06/25/17 at 06:30:38

And the last two reels were 30 IPS which together total less than 20 minutes, so they only fill half of the VHS tape. Rather than add other stuff to fill the tape I have elected not to for the simple fact that if something happens to one of these tapes I want to be able to easily make another one. Once you start mixing tapes and tracks, essentially making a mix tape, you're talking about an all night gig.

Reel 2 = 8:41

WWW   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #31 - 06/25/17 at 15:59:58

Jeff,  please put me on the list.
Since we're both in so. Cal I wouldn't mind picking up the unit at your place when the time is right. Or, if possible, I'd love to hear your set up and a/b this tape against your r to r? I could bring over a few bottles of my home brew to savor along with the music.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #32 - 06/26/17 at 06:54:04

Acetone,
I think some of your home crafted beer is an excellent offering in return for some time with my gear. Honestly, I am dying to share my Decware gear and SonoruS tape rig with anyone interested in listening. And since you are so close it would be a travesty not to have you over.

You will have the SVHS after me. As a matter of fact, I would love to have a second set of ears when evaluating the R2R next to the SVHS for tape #1 so this arrangement works out great all around.

Timing is good.  Now 85% done with room treatments and should be at 100% by time you cruise down.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #33 - 06/26/17 at 07:10:47

Steve,
All I can say is..... I am salivating. This is going to be such a bitchen experience/journey/experiment/...

Again, thank you for whatever it is about you that keeps you pushing the envelope and perpetually excited about what you don't already know.  Bravo!!!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #34 - 06/26/17 at 15:56:44

Thanks Jeff,
Would love to hear another members set up. The LA Audio show proved to me that my Decware gear can run with the big dogs when room, cables, etc are all taken into account. Can't wait to hear this experiment!!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #35 - 06/28/17 at 20:39:20

I still have, a Panasonic Omni Vision player and a JVC SVHS player, laying around... unused in many moons.  This sounds quite interesting.  I have a friend who used to record music, from what source I can't remember, on to SVHS tapes.  And he talked about its superior sound quality all the time.  This was probably mid to late 90's if memory serves.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
linton
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 07/01/17 at 15:08:46

Jeff,

Please add me to the list. I've been enjoying the Palomino Mix at 320kbps and look forward to comparing that with Steve's experimental recording technique on SVHS.

TIA,
Rob

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #37 - 07/01/17 at 15:53:49

SVHS Tape Tour List (Preliminary, Informal):

1) Stone of Tone (Deferred)
2) Acetone
3) Linton
4) Bottlehead

Once announcement is made, I will post a living document on Google Docs to be shared with all on the list.  

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 07/01/17 at 21:38:32

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the thoughtful PM. Add me up here in the Great Northwest to the list.

Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #39 - 07/07/17 at 02:49:59

UPDATE:

As you will recall I fixed the damaged Panasonic that I ordered and listened to it and found it to be better than the Samsung at first glance. However as I continued to test it became inconsistent. I traced this to a tracking problem. I had to manually set the tracking and adjust it during playback periodically. You know when it needs adjusting because it sounds like static and one or both channels will start to drop out.

I'm too old for that crap, so I assume most of you are as well. To satisfy my curiosity I purchased a second unit that looked equally as clean as the first one to see if the tracking was just an issue with the first one.  I offered the seller more than he was asking if he would wrap it in 4 inches of bubble wrap and double box it.  He declined the offer for extra and assured me he was an EXPERT at packing an it would arrive in perfect condition...  it didn't.  One inch of packing peanuts, single box... toast.  

So the good news is we are now going to roll with the first unit, the Samsung which has advanced automatic tracking that always works.  The sound is fine, it's just a modest player that could benefit greatly from a tube stage or tube preamp, so those of you with either of those items may get a denser sound.

I can send the tapes out no later than Monday.

This should be fun!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/07/17 at 03:56:59

Steve said:
"He declined the offer for extra and assured me he was an EXPERT at packing an it would arrive in perfect condition...  it didn't.  One inch of packing peanuts, single box... toast."

The extent to which people are swine is beginning to make me tired.  

Brian

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #41 - 07/07/17 at 04:27:47

Steve, I am lost for words.  Should we laugh?  I feel that this has been so uncanny, it borderlines ridiculous.  Pay for an item, it ships, you receive, all good.  It is the lifecycle of 99+% of packages shipped, yet despite your best efforts (and then some), you cannot seem to get a break.  

What this says to me, is you are on to something.  It is the "Digital Gods" that are testing you and trying to sabotage your efforts.  But you have prevailed and the Samsung is the chosen one.  

It will do.  And I have a ZStage at my disposal so I will run it "au natural" without and "sur testosterone" with.  

This WILL be great - a truly unique opportunity.  I hope many will take advantage.  

-Jeff

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #42 - 07/07/17 at 14:23:25

Yes! Excited to read about and hear this (put me after bottlehead).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #43 - 07/07/17 at 14:55:42

SVHS Tape Tour List (Preliminary, Informal):

1) Acetone
2) Linton
3) Bottlehead
4) Stone of Tone
5) Maddog07

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #44 - 07/07/17 at 15:07:50

Jeff,  Let me know when your ready to have me over for tape and ? listening session...My home brew is in the fridge cooling.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #45 - 07/07/17 at 15:41:40

I certainly will Acetone!  Looking forward to those fresh, cold brews   Cheesy

Just picked up a new tonearm, Dynavector DV-507 MKII.  Be sure to bring some vinyl to spin!  

I am waiting for my new IC to go from my tape preamp to ZMA.  I relocated it so my prior cable was too short.  Should arrive in a week or so.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #46 - 07/07/17 at 23:09:39

Sign me up.  I still haven't quite gotten over the experience of hearing the Hendrix masters at Zenfest last fall - I gotta hear what this is all about !!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #47 - 07/08/17 at 06:06:43

Maddog.. Done!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #48 - 07/10/17 at 02:54:46

I made a dupe of the Palomino Master Tape today, so that completes everything and the package will ship tomorrow as planned : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #49 - 07/14/17 at 15:41:47

Jeff, you ought to have the package.....probably today?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3