Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:25:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need solution for TV audio (Read 8140 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Need solution for TV audio
01/01/17 at 21:25:10

My prior TV had analog outputs for the sound. This enabled me to route the TV signal into the Torii MK IV. My new TV unfortunately has only an optical digital output. So I resorted to the RCA outputs on the cable box. This allows me to only route the signal from the cable provider, not when watching Netflix prone of the other streaming services. It also brought with it a quirk. There is a delay between the TV signal and the audio signal when coming about of the cable box, which is more noticeable when watching news programming.

Is there a small D/A converter I could use to connect the digital optical output of the TV and run the analog signal to my MK IV?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Need solution for TV audio
Reply #1 - 01/01/17 at 22:22:54

Likely there are cheap DACs that could do that.

But if it is OK otherwise, you probably can adjust it. On mine, which is a Samsung DVD to a Samsung TV (same year), I decided to use a DAC I had rather than the internal one in the DVD player, and the sound did not sync well. The DAC is digitally connected, DVD>DAC>Torii, and the DVD is digitally connected (HDMI) to the TV. In the TV Settings Menu, under Sound, there is an audio sync choice. On mine I had to experiment, but ended up with a 30 millisecond delay.

I am no genius on this stuff, but maybe this will work there?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Finch
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/17 at 02:55:21

Why didn't you go with the TV Optical output? I had the same problem, audio didn't match on new Sony Bravia, delay, also Netflix And HBO stopped sending signal through apple tv optical, so i got a new longer optical and ran from tv to dac. No delay, and it even runs sound to stereo through tv, as I use a digital antennae, plus audio for for all smart tv apps.

Rega RP6- ZP3- macmini- Benchmark Dac2 HGC- Torii mkii/ SE84 UFO2- MG944/DNA
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 01/02/17 at 07:24:06

There are countless DAC options that could perform this task for you.  Below are just a couple but really depends on your budget and the quality of sound you are looking for.  I have my TV configured similarly, but I am running the digital out to my Oppo BDP-103 where I am letting it do the converting before going out to my Ultra pre-amp.

Cheap:  
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

Better:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779DAC100B/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-100-Black.html?...

Best:
??  Depends on how much you want to spend  :)

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Finch
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/17 at 09:08:42

Sorry, I had too many New Years drinks, I see the issue is that you need a DAC.  There are Musical Fidelity VDac's on ebay for 41 dollars. They don't make them anymore, but it was a decent little dac. Has optical input.

Rega RP6- ZP3- macmini- Benchmark Dac2 HGC- Torii mkii/ SE84 UFO2- MG944/DNA
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/03/17 at 03:36:16

Thank you everybody.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/08/17 at 18:17:57

My solution arrived this morning. I connected the cables and voila! No time delay between picture and sound. There is some digital glare. I will connect my ZStage between the components to see if it removes some of the glare.

55   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/17 at 19:39:42

What is the solution? Simple converter box or something else?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/08/17 at 22:39:05

I only have a 2.1 channel setup for both music and movies.  My McIntosh D100 DAC has multiple inputs including Optical and USB, etc., but it is hooked to a McIntosh C220 preamp and I would need to use 2 remotes when switching from digital music from my PC using USB to and cable TV via optical if I wanted to use my DAC.  1st I would have to use the D100 DAC remote to switch from USB PC to Optical (cable) and 2nd use the C220 Preamp remote to switch from PC to TV.  This is OK and works, but my girl is not too handy/technical when it comes to turning stuff on.  So instead of having the cable go into my DAC via optical, I bought a cheap RadioShack DAC and have the optical of my cable box go into the RCA DAC which goes directly into the Preamp, so there's no need for additional step of using the DAC's remote.

The sound is of the RadioShack DAC course not on the same level as the McIntosh DAC, but cable TV is really a low priority for us and we barely watch TV through the cable box at all.  We stream most everything these days and most cable TV channels also have websites that you can watch from.  So there is nothing really important to us as far as sound quality from the cable box.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/09/17 at 01:56:07

I opted for the cheap solution, a tiny DAC that plugged into the tv and RCA's going to the TAPE 2 input into my Marantz receiver, which in turn plugs into the TORII MK IV.  I decided to run everything (TV signal, CD player) through the Marantz, (which already supplies the phono preamp and FM radio) then out the PRE OUT to the ZSTAGE and then to the TORII MK IV.

When I hooked up the little DAC it had some glare, so the running it through the ZSTAGE at unity gain (half way) with a 1953 Sylvania 5814 (12AU7) long black plate tube seems to take some of that glare away.

55   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/09/17 at 03:00:10

Does that DAC have a volume control or does your TV remote still control the volume.  I thought about setting up a 2.1 setup using a Schiit pre-amp which has remote control.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/09/17 at 03:46:40

No the TV remote won't control volume any more.

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print